PDA

View Full Version : Christmas-time is here!!

Sven
12-25-2007, 12:47 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/iosos/Random%20good%20pictures/11.jpg

Post your presents and stories!

Merry Christmas, everybody! Or, if you prefer, Happy Holidays!

Watashi
12-25-2007, 12:53 AM
I won't succumb to your pagan traditions.

Sven
12-25-2007, 12:56 AM
I won't succumb to your pagan traditions.

You get rep anyway! Merry Christmas, ya big lunkhead! :P[/full of good cheer]

Mr. Valentine
12-25-2007, 12:56 AM
i've opened a few of my presents so far. from people at work i got a $10 Fazoli's gift card and a Batman ornament.

the present i opened from my wife was a 1600 point Xbox live card and a Iorek Pez dispenser.

the present i opened from my mom was a $10 Borders gift card.

all the rest will be opened tomorrow.

Spinal
12-25-2007, 01:07 AM
We have also opened some presents early due to splitting time between families. Dance Dance Revolution for the Wii has been the big hit so far. Parents also paid for a playwrighting class I'm taking soon to help me get this script finished I've been working on. Family interaction has been enjoyable and pleasant.

I have also received beef sticks from three different people. :cool:

dreamdead
12-25-2007, 01:08 AM
I'm in Ohio for the holidays and am posting on my brand-new Dell laptop. Despite it having the icky Word 2007 (and not 2003), it is wonderful. There's something beautiful about not waiting 7 minutes for a laptop to load after you start it... :)

On Wednesday we'll see what the bff and his wife have gotten me...

Watashi
12-25-2007, 01:09 AM
You get rep anyway! Merry Christmas, ya big lunkhead! :P[/full of good cheer]
How is Christmas time in New York City? I bet it's nothing like SoCal.

Melville
12-25-2007, 01:33 AM
My girlfriend took me to a performance of Handel's Messiah, played on traditional Baroque instruments. Got to love that harpsichord.

MadMan
12-25-2007, 01:44 AM
Tonight I'm watching "24 Hours of A Christmas Story" and going to 11 PM X-Mas eve service for the first time (normally I go to the earlier service). I also got all of the gifts to my family wrapped today as well.

Tomorrow I'm going up to my grandparents to celebrate with my dad's side of the family. After I open up presents from my family of course. Then after that my mom's side of the family will be coming up to my folks' place for a late X-Mas celebration. Good times.

Oh and Merry Christmas everyone! I love the holidays.

DSNT
12-25-2007, 01:44 AM
We had a great time with family today and opened all presents. We got lotsa stuff including gift cards to Best Buy and iTunes, lotsa food, clothes, and a big rug.

megladon8
12-25-2007, 01:56 AM
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Happy Holidays to everyone!!

Sven
12-25-2007, 02:06 AM
How is Christmas time in New York City? I bet it's nothing like SoCal.

Very warm and rainy.

:|

Supposedly, January and February are the big snowstorm months.

Boner M
12-25-2007, 02:16 AM
It's X-mas day here; at my aunt's house celebrating with family. So far I've received $220 in cash, the Kubrick box set, the Wedding Present's Peel Sessions 6-CD box set, a beach towel, and more to come.

bac0n
12-25-2007, 06:03 AM
The car I used to drive got me one of those uber-nerd Bladerunner briefcase things with all the cool shit inside!

goddamn, TTs are, like, the best cars ever.

Derek
12-25-2007, 06:21 AM
The car I used to drive got me one of those uber-nerd Bladerunner briefcase things with all the cool shit inside!

Literally!? Um...can I borrow it?

http://www.bttfstuff.com/KR/DSC04529.JPG

EDIT: Cash and a Visa "for whatever" gift card today. Most gifts tomorrow should end up being clothes, which is fine since that means less shopping in '08 for me.

chrisnu
12-25-2007, 06:43 AM
This year, I know that I got a Karl Malone jersey from the early 1990s - I know, because I picked it out. :) Looks badass. It was made by MacGregor Sand-Knit, who made jerseys for the NBA before Champion took over. I may get a few pictures up, once the gift has been officially opened. Other than that, I'm not sure. I imagine I gave a lot more gifts than I will receive, which is fine.

Here's another question: What gifts do you most remember or did enjoy from your childhood?

A Nintendo, of course. It came with a dual game cartridge of Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. I think I also got a Sega 32X as a Christmas gift. I remember I got it specifically for the 32-bit version of NBA Jam: Tournament Edition, and how difficult it was to get the right adapters for my archaic TV, which only had a coaxial input. Also, I got several models of dinosaur fossils that I'd have to put together, piece by piece. Those were fun. I also remember getting a bicycle one year. A Murray one-speed cruiser.

soitgoes...
12-25-2007, 09:37 AM
I received a Garmin GPS for my car. I'm stoked.

Kurosawa Fan
12-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Merry Christmas everyone!

We did my wife's parents last night, where I received gift certificates to the movie theater (always great) plus some cash. This morning we opened gifts at our house with the kids. My 2 year old is busy watching his new Max and Ruby DVD, while Dylan is in his room with his new CD player listening to Foo Fighters after we finished a rousing game of Nerf Dart Tag. I received a scarf from my wife (we said we wouldn't buy each other anything other than stocking stuffers) while my wife received an 8gb iPod from me (hey, it fits in a stocking!).

It's been great thus far. This afternoon we'll be going over to my parents house, where a new bike is waiting for Dylan. I can't wait to see his reaction.

Hope everyone's holiday is fantastic!

megladon8
12-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Wow...similar to last year, we got a box full of DVDs - there's probably 70-80 total.

Among my favorites are the Blade Runner 5-disc briefcase, The Bourne Ultimatum, Ratatouille, and the other two Bond DVD sets.

I also got a huge pillow which is a life-size version of the torso of Superman from the animated series and Justice League cartoons.

:)

Kurosawa Fan
12-25-2007, 02:18 PM
Here's another question: What gifts do you most remember or did enjoy from your childhood?

A Nintendo, of course. It came with a dual game cartridge of Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. I think I also got a Sega 32X as a Christmas gift. I remember I got it specifically for the 32-bit version of NBA Jam: Tournament Edition, and how difficult it was to get the right adapters for my archaic TV, which only had a coaxial input. Also, I got several models of dinosaur fossils that I'd have to put together, piece by piece. Those were fun. I also remember getting a bicycle one year. A Murray one-speed cruiser.

For me it was Super Nintendo. Nintendo my dad just brought home one day because he thought it looked cool. He soon realized he was old and shouldn't be playing video games, as his kids, who were all of 6 years old, were beating him the day we opened the box.

Mr. Valentine
12-25-2007, 02:20 PM
more stuff today:

Absolute Watchmen
Mass Effect (Xbox 360)
Grendel Archives (graphic novel)
2 Threadless shirts
$15 Itunes card
Travel Scrabble and Yahtzee

Sycophant
12-25-2007, 02:41 PM
We're about to have our traditional Belgian waffles. So far, I've received A Boy Named Charlie Brown on DVD, which is awesome. It seems as though we'll probably all get on well today.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

By the way, when did A Christmas Story become essential American holiday viewing? It's a great film and all, but I swear it's prevelance isn't the oldest of phenomena. It was before TNT started airing it 24 hours, right?

bac0n
12-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Literally!? Um...can I borrow it?

The Bladerunner Nerd Thing or the car I used to drive?

In local news, we're about to head over to my Mom's for Christmas at her place. I prepped my (in)famous Creme Brulee French Toast last night, which I will be taking over there to finish up and serve. I hope it turns out alright, cuz I was pretty wasted last night when I was making it. :eek:

Derek
12-25-2007, 03:37 PM
The Bladerunner Nerd Thing or the car I used to drive?

I wanna borrow the car that gets things for you!

And Merry Christmas everyone!

ledfloyd
12-25-2007, 03:37 PM
good haul. i got a couple graphic novels. penguins 10 greatest games dvd set. phish vegas 96 cd. flaming lips ufos at the zoo. my mom gave me a $70 gift card for best buy cause she said they didn't have the kubrick box... i got some clothes, and about $120 in other gift cards and cash. i'm set for boxing day.

Ivan Drago
12-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Not too bad. I got:

Stanley Kubrick Collection
Spider-Man 3 2-Disc SE
Transformers 2-Disc SE
Awake in the Dark by Roger Ebert
Your Movie Sucks by Roger Ebert
Cinema of Obsession: Erotic Fixation and Love Gone Wrong in the Movies by Dominique Mainon and James Ursini

Rowland
12-25-2007, 05:42 PM
$1000 from my dad (towards a car, he usually gives me $200)
A stocking full of chapstick (I go through it like mad)
Another $100 in cash, $50 gift card for the mall, $10 gift card for the Regal

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Z6YJF131L._SS500_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BTXZiGfZL._SS500_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61FTNFXE81L._AA280_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZTFZ2YW0L._AA240_.jpg

Watashi
12-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Like the last few years, very, very little.

I hate receiving gifts. It's really, really stupid.

Li Lili
12-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Merry Christmas!
Last night my firends and I made dumplings and other food. We've spent 4 hours cooking and ate late. One of them gave me a callygraphy she painted for me 真诚 I was very touched.

Ezee E
12-25-2007, 07:44 PM
It's a very nice snow outside. Gotta love that for Christmas while we open presents in the living room.

A few Cormac McCarthy Books
Some travelling stuff for Rome
Chess pieces of animals from the forest (surprisingly awesome)
A shirt and reversible hoodie
Tools (gotta like these, something I hate buying)

And two other things on the way that didn't make it here.

Gotta like that. And I haven't even opened my friends' presents.

Spinal
12-25-2007, 08:00 PM
What atheists get for Christmas:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/joel_harmon/goddelusion.jpg

Oh, delicious irony!

Derek
12-25-2007, 10:26 PM
A dress shirt
Golf shirt
A nice big sports travel bag with wheels (which I needed desperately my other sports bags both have busted zippers)
$100
Soap, gum & chapstick
Zip-up cotton sweatshirt/jacket thingy
Zip-up hoodie

That plus a little cash from my grandparents and aunt/uncle make this the best set of presents I've received since college.

Derek
12-25-2007, 10:27 PM

Oh, delicious irony!

Damn, that Amazon description makes it sound hardcore. We'll have to keep you and Barty separated while you're reading that one. ;)

DSNT
12-25-2007, 10:38 PM

Oh, delicious irony!
That's actually a very interesting and well-reasoned book. Dawkins isn't some crackpot. He is an expert genealogist and evolutionist (he wrote The Selfish Gene) and knows what he is talking about.

Derek
12-25-2007, 10:44 PM
That's actually a very interesting and well-reasoned book. Dawkins isn't some crackpot. He is an expert genealogist and evolutionist (he wrote The Selfish Gene) and knows what he is talking about.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that he was a crackpot or anything, just that the review made it sound like he really takes it to religion...which is fine, especially if he knows what's what.

krazed
12-25-2007, 11:55 PM
I got:

Mac OSX Leopard
Pavement's Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain: LA's Desert Origins
Springsteen's 30th Anniversary Born to Run
Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men and The Road
The Replacements: It's All Over But the Shouting book
The Wire Seasons 1-4 (Thank God for that Best Buy sale when they were going for 20 a pop)
Curb Yr Enthusiasm Season 5
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Plus some giftcards and such.

OH! And, I got a turntable from my parents and free reign to take whatever I wanted from my dad's vinyl collection. Pretty excited to try this thing out with All Things Must Pass.

Sven
12-26-2007, 12:07 AM
Pretty excited to try this thing out with All Things Must Pass.

The album or the song? Because I can think of a million awesome things that you could do with many of the songs on that album.

Kurosawa Fan
12-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Just finished up my Christmas with my parents. I got a new coat (black wool, mid-thigh length), a new watch, and Madden 08 for the Wii. Plus a $25 gift card to Best Buy and a $25 gift card to Barnes and Noble. I'm psyched.

krazed
12-26-2007, 12:19 AM
The album or the song? Because I can think of a million awesome things that you could do with many of the songs on that album.

Album.

And do expand on these awesome things. I'm new to this.

chrisnu
12-26-2007, 12:21 AM
I ended up getting $50 cash, a $25 gift certificate for Barnes & Noble, a $20 gift certificate for Circuit City, and two $20 gift certificates for AMC Theaters. A very nice haul by my usual standards.

Justin
12-26-2007, 12:35 AM
I got a new record player(just need to buy some good speakers), a Norelco groomer, some clothes, and the Monty Python Flying Circus set. I honestly am not sure about the Flying Circus set, I saw maybe one or two episodes as a kid, and I like the films, how is the show? I believe my dad bought it because I briefly mentioned maybe going to see Spamalot when I was in NY.

Spinal
12-26-2007, 12:37 AM
... Madden 08 for the Wii ...

Soooo jealous.

Kurosawa Fan
12-26-2007, 12:38 AM
I got a new record player(just need to buy some good speakers), a Norelco groomer, some clothes, and the Monty Python Flying Circus set. I honestly am not sure about the Flying Circus set, I saw maybe one or two episodes as a kid, and I like the films, how is the show? I believe my dad bought it because I briefly mentioned maybe going to see Spamalot when I was in NY.

The show is fucking brilliant. Keep the set for sure. There is so much genius in those episodes. It's worth every penny.

Kurosawa Fan
12-26-2007, 12:39 AM
Soooo jealous.

I was planning on getting Tiger Woods with my gift card, but it's apparently out of stock everywhere, including online. I checked the availability of every Best Buy within a 100 mile radius of my house and not a single copy is out there. :sad:

Melville
12-26-2007, 12:50 AM
I got a 20" widescreen LCD monitor. It's blinding me with luxury.

Spinal
12-26-2007, 01:56 AM
I've got to get me some of these friends and relatives that give out cash.

Sven
12-26-2007, 02:20 AM
Monty Python the show > any of the Monty Python movies

The Monty Python movies > a whole lot of very awesome things

My esteem for the show is almost boundless. It's insanely genius.

Sven
12-26-2007, 02:26 AM
Album.

And do expand on these awesome things. I'm new to this.

I have no idea how to do turntable action, but the entirety of All Things Must Pass (assuming we're talking about the Harrison album) is, like, almost trancelike in its chorusy repitiousness, which I imagine lends itself well to turntable experimentation. I'm actually kind of surprised that nobody's done a remix album of that one (assuming nobody has), because it seems so perfect, both in form and content. One of the greatest albums ever, seriously.

But yeah, I just listened over the album again and every song seems like a fit for that kind of thing. I can feel it and I can hear the awesome warps in my mind, but I have no idea how to do that kind of thing. Good luck and be excellent!

Rowland
12-26-2007, 03:01 AM
...and just like that, it's over.

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6513/toallagoodnightfrontou2.jpg

Sycophant
12-26-2007, 04:41 AM
Ah, Christmas. It went over pretty well. I'm realizing that I'm less and less about getting gifts and more into giving, though I'm a pretty joyless bastard. Still, time with my family was civil at least and that was fun.

I got a ton of awesome stuff, including DVDs of The Awful Truth, Unfaithfully Yours, His Girl Friday, and The Muppet Movie, as well as The Complete Peanuts 1950-1954, Kelly Link's Stranger Things Happen, Haruki Murakami's The Elephant Vanishes, and a nifty Frank Sinatra collector's book.

bac0n
12-26-2007, 05:06 AM
Christmas was at Mom's today, and everything I got was cooking or homebrewing-related.

* 10 gallon brewkettle (w00t!)
* kickass syphon gizmo (double w00t!)
* nice serving bowls (eastern european!)
* serving spoons and serving forks (festive!)
* prep bowl set (endorsed by Mario Batali!)
* kickass collapsable collander that doubles as a devo hat (whip it!)
* Wustoff steak knives (i cut you!)

Duncan
12-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Merry belated Christmas everyone!

I did ridiculously well in the gifts department. The big one was a trip to Spain and Morocco. I also got a couple of sweaters, the Late Ozu box set, enough books to last a year, and a whole bunch of smaller things.

We also had a very nice dinner with the extended family. No tensions or anything.

The God Delusion is very good, even though I had heard almost all the arguments already, and I think Dawkins over reaches himself. He also goes out of his way to antagonize, which I don't consider a very effective or convincing technique.

Sven
12-26-2007, 11:20 PM
The God Delusion is very good, even though I had heard almost all the arguments already, and I think Dawkins over reaches himself. He also goes out of his way to antagonize, which I don't consider a very effective or convincing technique.

Such has always been the way of the Dawk'.

transmogrifier
12-27-2007, 12:34 AM

Yes, he does, but I disagree with your conclusion. Religion relies on an unspoken subservience to the idea of protecting matters of "faith", and we live in a world where "faith" is reserved for hushed tones and bowed heads, and grunts of meek acceptance. If the religious can stand up and claim most of us are going to hell for merely being human, then Dawkins can certainly stand up and let a volley of accusations go back in the oppoiste direction. It's not pretty, but it is preferable to one side having the "moral" upperhand.

monolith94
12-27-2007, 12:36 AM
The problem with Dawkins is that he characterizes all religious socities in essentially the same cast. And when you point out examples of groups that are spiritual and believe in things beyond reason and aren't the epitome of fascism, he dismisses them as inconsequential. Or whatever.

I had a great christmas, btw. Not a tremendous number of presents, but nice thoughtful ones, plus some cash. It was more important just to spend time with the extended fam.

I come from an Italian american family, so on christmas eve we had the "feast of the seven fishes". Plus our traditional christmas sauce. I like it. Makes me feel ethnic. :)

Duncan
12-27-2007, 01:28 AM
Yes, he does, but I disagree with your conclusion. Religion relies on an unspoken subservience to the idea of protecting matters of "faith", and we live in a world where "faith" is reserved for hushed tones and bowed heads, and grunts of meek acceptance. If the religious can stand up and claim most of us are going to hell for merely being human, then Dawkins can certainly stand up and let a volley of accusations go back in the oppoiste direction. It's not pretty, but it is preferable to one side having the "moral" upperhand.

All being a shrill dick does is invite people to call you a shrill dick. It distracts from the veracity of your arguments. He goes into all your points, and I agree that people should be free to criticize religion without having to tiptoe around sensitive areas. I'd also suggest that freedom of religion should not be a right. Freedom of beliefs, sure. However, a calm, reasoned argument is almost always better than one where the other party ends up with spittle in its face. I've seen people gain the "moral upperhand" on Dawkins countless times just by pointing to his prose and then dropping a few adjectives like arrogant, condescending, bitter, vitriolic, etc. They don't even address what the guy has to say. A wave of the hand directed at his personality is all it takes to satisfy many of their constituents.

Duncan
12-27-2007, 01:29 AM
...and a happy birthday to Jesus Christ, which is what Christmas is all about.

monolith94
12-27-2007, 02:30 AM
Duncan. I'm not sure I understand your differentiation between freedom of religion and freedom of belief.

Duncan
12-27-2007, 03:51 AM
Basically, belief requires no practices or action. Religion requires belief, and can also require practice and action. Most of the time those practices are harmless, sometimes they are brutal. So I do not think people should be free to practice religion, if that religion (or at least that version of their religion) demands brutal practices of its followers.

eg. A man in Mississauga (near where I live) recently killed his daughter for not wearing a hijab. Fuck that guy.

dreamdead
12-27-2007, 04:14 AM
End haul over Christmas-time:

new laptop
car repair ($1000)
Dvds of The Tenant, A Better Tomorrow (again), and In Her Shoes (my friends like to antagonize me)
decorations for the apartment back in Illinois

monolith94
12-27-2007, 04:21 AM
I see. And agree with you - obviously something like that would not be covered under "freedom of religion". I think most of what's meant by freedom of religion is the right to religious assembly, parochial schools, stuff like that.

I forgot: I also got a three month membership to the gym.

transmogrifier
12-27-2007, 04:35 AM
All being a shrill dick does is invite people to call you a shrill dick. It distracts from the veracity of your arguments. He goes into all your points, and I agree that people should be free to criticize religion without having to tiptoe around sensitive areas. I'd also suggest that freedom of religion should not be a right. Freedom of beliefs, sure. However, a calm, reasoned argument is almost always better than one where the other party ends up with spittle in its face. I've seen people gain the "moral upperhand" on Dawkins countless times just by pointing to his prose and then dropping a few adjectives like arrogant, condescending, bitter, vitriolic, etc. They don't even address what the guy has to say. A wave of the hand directed at his personality is all it takes to satisfy many of their constituents.

the whole problem with this is that you are basically allowing religion to use ad hominem attacks, and instead of standing up and pointing out this intellectually vapid method of defence, you'd rather let them get away with it and ask the other side to be nice and submissive so that it can't happen. Just another example of letting religion play by its own rules.

transmogrifier
12-27-2007, 04:36 AM
eg. A man in Mississauga (near where I live) recently killed his daughter for not wearing a hijab. Fuck that guy.

That sounds pretty vitriolic and combative to me. You'd best be calming yourself.

Spinal
12-27-2007, 04:47 AM
Oops. Didn't mean to turn the thread into a religious discussion. Just sharing.

I've read a couple chapters of the Dawkins book and haven't found him to be shrill or unnecessarily combatative at all. On the contrary, I have found his writing to be lucid, pointed and humourous. I look forward to reading more.

jesse
12-27-2007, 05:59 AM
This was the first year that I asked for--and received--"necessary" items. So I got a vacuum, dishtowels, a Rachel Ray cookbook, stuff like that. Of which I'm very pleased about.

And in a surprise twist, my parents gave my sister and I a sizable chunk of money that we now have to divide between charities of our choosing. It took me a moment, but I really like the idea now, especially since I'm so short on cash this year that I was feeling bad I wasn't able to give back...

Duncan
12-27-2007, 06:55 AM
the whole problem with this is that you are basically allowing religion to use ad hominem attacks, Actually, that's the exact opposite of what I said. Since these attacks are, unfortunately, often effective, I was suggesting a way of defusing them before they can even occur.

and instead of standing up and pointing out this intellectually vapid method of defence,
I'm trying to suggest a method of discourse in which that defense never comes up at all. Then I don't even have to bother standing up. We can just sit around and drink tea. Idealistic, sure, but almost every conversation about Dawkins (case in point) turns into a debate about the way in which he delivers his message. This can be at least partially avoided, and time can be saved. That's very valuable in a sound bite driven culture.

you'd rather let them get away with it and ask the other side to be nice and submissive so that it can't happen. Just another example of letting religion play by its own rules. So your solution is to respond with the same intellectually vapid defense that you criticized above? As far as I can tell, you're suggesting a name calling contest. Obviously, if it comes to that, call them out on making ad hominem criticisms and avoid them yourself. I'm not saying people should be submissive when it comes to religion. I'm saying they should make well thought out, pointed criticisms that would force a religious person to at least consider the foundations of their devotion. If that leads to a loss or reconfirmation of their faith, then so be it.

Barty
12-27-2007, 06:56 AM
I so want to get involved in this discussion but alas, it's not worth it. :pritch:

Duncan
12-27-2007, 07:00 AM
That sounds pretty vitriolic and combative to me. You'd best be calming yourself.
Well, my bluntness was meant to be humourous, but your sarcasm is appreciated. It's exactly the kind of thing that makes me want to have an intelligent conversation with you. In fact, let's just have a sarcasm-off and see how far the debate takes us. I say we just start with your post and go from there. Think of the heights we could reach! Yep, this is certainly productive.

transmogrifier
12-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Well, my bluntness was meant to be humourous, but your sarcasm is appreciated. It's exactly the kind of thing that makes me want to have an intelligent conversation with you. In fact, let's just have a sarcasm-off and see how far the debate takes us. I say we just start with your post and go from there. Think of the heights we could reach! Yep, this is certainly productive.

Wow, I'm enraptured (pardon the pun) with your eloquent summation of our argument so far. The brilliance in which you have misread my simple remark, and given it more weight than it ever truly deserved, is a pithy case study into the exact type of argument style we both assume the more militant sectors of the religious right to use! Of course, we differ in how we must broach this given, but I am deeply enchanted by you laying it out at my feet, like pearls before swine. I'm honored to be trawling these boards with the likes of yourself, knowing that no matter where I am, someone will be there to misinterpret me.

How am I doing so far?

;)

transmogrifier
12-27-2007, 08:17 AM
I so want to get involved in this discussion but alas, it's not worth it. :pritch:

Yeah, I'd win.

;)

Sycophant
12-28-2007, 06:45 PM
While out with my family for dinner one night over the weekend, I tip-adjusted.

D_Davis
12-31-2007, 01:49 AM
I got the Starcraft board game and bought a bunch of books.

It was a nice Christmas.

Mysterious Dude
10-19-2009, 03:47 AM
This forum has been around since 2007? Why does that make me feel old?

lovejuice
10-19-2009, 11:30 AM
this will be the first christmas in maaaaaany years that i celebrate at home. :cry:

at first i thought the thread title is "christian-time is here!!!," and i'm thinking, ok, what is barty doing again? ;)

MadMan
10-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Honestly as I get older, X-Mas is a holiday I care for less and less. I still like it better than say, Easter or St. Patrick's Day, but its kind of lost its luster. I blame that on the fact that every year they seem to be extending the holiday shoping season. Eventually we'll be hearing X-Mas music being played in September :|

Ezee E
10-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Still love Christmas. Spend it with my family for the entire time, everyone's happy, and we eat the best food for that day. Can't complain at all.

bac0n
10-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Oh, I still loooooove Christmas. It's around this time of year I really start jonesing for it. But as I have gotten older and have now have little ankle biters running around the house, I look forward to it for different reasons than when I was a kid. The getting stuff part is an afterthought - these days its all about having loved ones close by, cooking a lot of really nice meals that take a really long time to make, enjoying drinks while Christmas music plays, our peculiar family rituals, that sorta thing.

I've already start christmas shopping. The goal is to get that shit outa the way as soon as possible so I can proceed directly to the yuletide cheer post haste.

Mara
10-19-2009, 06:18 PM
I love Christmas-- it's my favorite holiday by far-- but I'm not wild about the Christmas season.

Wryan
10-19-2009, 06:21 PM
First Christmas with divorced parents...looking forward to it!

Scar
10-21-2009, 01:22 AM
When my family asks us what we'd like for Christmas, we'll respond, "More gifts for our niece and nephews".

Spun Lepton
10-21-2009, 04:14 AM
Last year I had enough money to get everybody in my family a nice gift. This year I'm pretty much tapped. Following Scar's lead, I might just get stuff of neices and nephews...

Derek
10-21-2009, 04:20 AM
I wish more of the people who complain about Christmas lasting the entire month from Thanksgiving through Dec. 25th would also complain about Halloween taking over the entire month of October.

Dukefrukem
12-12-2019, 02:57 PM
Christmas Vacation starts in 5 hours!

bac0n
12-12-2019, 06:44 PM
Christmas Vacation starts in 5 hours!

Shut up

Ezee E
12-12-2019, 06:46 PM
Not a Christmas vacation per se, but I'm taking some time for myself from 12/27-12/30 in San Francisco. Looking forward to that!

Skitch
12-12-2019, 06:55 PM
Hoping for usual company shut-down from 23-3. Will be the first time I can take part in it.

Just got off phone with sis. Plan is to all bring gift cards for some sort of game. I'm hoping to think of weird enough places for cards that either everyone is fighting over them, or I end up with them. Not sure which will be funnier.

Dukefrukem
12-12-2019, 07:04 PM
Shut up

I see you're in a concall right now, otherwise I'd be messaging you on Skype.

Edit: ah fuck it. I'll message you anyway.

Skitch
12-12-2019, 07:06 PM
I see you're in a concall right now, otherwise I'd be messaging you on Skype.

Edit: ah fuck it. I'll message you anyway.

hahaha you monster

bac0n
12-13-2019, 11:41 AM
hahaha you monster

He actually did, too.

Scar
12-13-2019, 11:59 AM
One more week, than I can go into ‘hiding’, ie vacation. Smoking a prime rated rib roast for the annual Bac0n/Scar F it, it’s Christmas feast.

Dukefrukem
12-13-2019, 04:08 PM
I've watched Christmas Vacation two nights in a row. Do I hear a third?

MadMan
12-15-2019, 08:05 AM
I like Xmas. The actual season is awful but the holiday is nice. I always see my dad's side of the family since his parents are still alive.

megladon8
12-15-2019, 02:43 PM
I’ve been working 65-70 hour weeks for a month.

Only 10 days left, thank god.

Skitch
12-15-2019, 03:37 PM
That is some bullshit.

Unless youre doing it by choice.

megladon8
12-15-2019, 03:59 PM
That is some bullshit.

Unless youre doing it by choice.

It’s called retail.

Irish
12-15-2019, 11:11 PM
good OT tho?

Hang in there, meg!

megladon8
12-15-2019, 11:30 PM
Time and a half after 44 hours.

I’m enjoying it, just getting tired.

I was transferred to a store much closer to home, so a shorter commute makes the long hours more bearable.

Skitch
12-16-2019, 12:16 AM
Time and a half after 44 hours.

I’m enjoying it, just getting tired.

I was transferred to a store much closer to home, so a shorter commute makes the long hours more bearable.

Why after 44? Why not 40? Are the extra four bonus hours? I had that before.

Ezee E
12-16-2019, 01:33 AM
Why after 44? Why not 40? Are the extra four bonus hours? I had that before.

Probably some province/state law. Weird though.

Irish
12-16-2019, 03:01 AM
It's Canada. They drink milk out of bags. Who knows why they do the crazy things they do.

megladon8
12-16-2019, 09:22 AM
I honestly have no idea.

All I know is that my DNA has been partially replaced by glitter from Christmas Decorations.

meg is now one with the glitter hive mind. You all will join us. Resistance is futile.

megladon8
12-16-2019, 01:08 PM
By the way, in case anyone is interested here’s my Christmas tree...

https://i.postimg.cc/7L94ZLb1/F1431-EDB-6-E82-49-BC-AFA4-C4597-CB04713.jpg

Dukefrukem
12-16-2019, 01:10 PM
Excellent decorations. I dont see a water bowl. Is it real?

Dukefrukem
12-16-2019, 01:18 PM
Kinda related to Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_TSR_v07m0&feature=emb_title

Scar
12-16-2019, 02:11 PM
How’s the book?

megladon8
12-16-2019, 03:12 PM
How’s the book?

Honestly the plot is kind of limp.

Not arousing much interest.

I’d describe it as a flaccid read.

Skitch
12-16-2019, 06:41 PM
Honestly the plot is kind of limp.

Not arousing much interest.

I’d describe it as a flaccid read.

I was young. I'm a better writer now.

megladon8
12-22-2019, 12:57 PM
If you do this, you deserve public ridicule...

https://i.postimg.cc/tgYHk5js/956-BF374-AF8-C-4-EEC-A2-F3-7244-B7082-D51.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/9Qg6D77C/C22-AC998-66-CE-4220-8-AC7-BF7-C6-E695604.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/9Fb5jSX4/EB6741-BC-6589-4-F5-B-8-E90-8-F48-CCE6399-F.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/L8sd4Thx/F3-F647-FD-6144-412-A-94-A5-3-E2-C71679456.jpg

Dukefrukem
12-22-2019, 03:30 PM
Did a tornado hit your store?

megladon8
12-22-2019, 05:45 PM
Not my store, it’s a neighbouring Michaels.

Ezee E
12-22-2019, 05:54 PM
Not going to lie. I feel like Michael's stores look like that all the time.

MadMan
12-23-2019, 06:43 AM
Those poor employees.

I finished wrapping all of my presents to my family today. Gonna spend Chrismas Eve relaxing since I don't work on it for the first time in 7 years.

Dukefrukem
12-25-2019, 01:41 PM
Merry Christmas MC.