PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Prediction Happy Fun Time Thread

Watashi
11-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Because no matter how much we bitch and moan about the Oscars, we are all slaves to that golden idol and worship it anyway.

Best Picture:
127 Hours
Black Swan
Inception
The Fighter
The King's Speech
The Social Network*
The Town
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone

Best Director:
David Fincher, The Social Network*
Joel and Ethan Coen, True Grit
Danny Boyle, 127 Hours
Christopher Nolan, Inception
Tom Hooper, The King's Speech

Best Actor:
Colin Firth, The King's Speech*
Leonardo DiCaprio, Shutter Island
Jessie Eisenberg, The Social Network
James Franco, 127 Hours
Robert Duvall, Get Low

Best Actress:
Natalie Portman, Black Swan
Annette Benning The Kids Are Alright
Michelle Williams, Blue Valentine
Jennifer Lawrence, Winter's Bone*
Nicole Kidman, Rabbit Hole

Best Supporting Actor:
Andrew Garfield, The Social Network
Geoffrey Rush, The King's Speech*
Matt Damon, True Grit
Christian Bale, The Fighter
Mark Ruffalo, The Kids Are Alright

Best Supporting Actress:
Sissy Spacek, Get Low*
Jacki Weaver, Animal Kingdom
Barbara Hershey, Black Swan
Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit
Marion Cotillard, Inception

Original Screenplay:
The King's Speech*
Inception
The Kids Are Alright
Black Swan
Another Year

Adapted Screenplay:
The Social Network*
127 Hours
Toy Story 3
Winter's Bone
True Grit

Morris Schæffer
11-19-2010, 10:43 AM
I'm hoping for Best picture noms for Inception, The Ghost Writer and Buried.

Henry Gale
11-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Wats, those look pretty good to me. The screenplay ones always seem to have the most wildcards, and I wouldn't count out Another Year in this year's An Education slot or The Kids Are All Right in the place of Winter's Bone. And aside from Bale's performance, I don't think I've heard too many great things about The Fighter yet.

Also, even though it's a much smaller chance, Tron is in that same, late-in-the-game spot as Avatar was last year as a huge-budgeted Christmas crowd-pleaser that has brought in a good number of people in the business to be involved along the way (this time with Fincher, Pixar writing heads) to potentially give it its support if that sort of awards momentum starts to build along with its box office.

But we shall see. It seems to be shaping up as a year with way less possibilities for this sort of thing than usual.

Dukefrukem
11-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Best Picture:
Inception

Best Director:

Best Actor:
Leonardo DiCaprio, Inception

Best Actress:
Ellen Page, Inception

Best Supporting Actor:

Best Supporting Actress:

Original Screenplay:
Inception

soitgoes...
11-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Best Picture:
Inception

Best Director:

Best Actor:

Best Actress:
Ellen Page, Inception

Best Supporting Actor:

Best Supporting Actress:

Original Screenplay:
Inception

I'm predicting more nominations will be made than what you have there.

Irish
11-19-2010, 09:05 PM
At the risk of taking another Lynch-level beating over an opinion: Inception was one of the worst movies of the year. Granted, there's stuff on the list I still haven't seen, but outside a few Uwe Boll pics I can't imagine anyone else turning in something that hamfisted and overwritten.

There's only a few ways I can see it getting nominated for the big five awards:

- They want to throw Nolan something. (Because everybody knows the Batman franchise will never win).

- The box office can't be ignored (like Titanic and Avatar).

- It's a supreme, personal, technical achievement that it deserves it (like Jackson & Return of the King, Titanic, or Avatar. This is another, more palatable way of saying holy shit, you made a ton of money. Here's a statue..)

Dukefrukem
11-19-2010, 09:11 PM
At the risk of taking another Lynch-level beating over an opinion: Inception was one of the worst movies of the year.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/Dukefrukem/Forum%20Insults/megaeyeroll.gif

soitgoes...
11-19-2010, 09:15 PM
At the risk of taking another Lynch-level beating over an opinion: Inception was one of the worst movies of the year. Granted, there's stuff on the list I still haven't seen, but outside a few Uwe Boll pics I can't imagine anyone else turning in something that hamfisted and overwritten.

There's only a few ways I can see it getting nominated for the big five awards:

- They want to throw Nolan something. (Because everybody knows the Batman franchise will never win).

- The box office can't be ignored (like Titanic and Avatar).

- It's a supreme, personal, technical achievement that it deserves it (like Jackson & Return of the King, Titanic, or Avatar. This is another, more palatable way of saying holy shit, you made a ton of money. Here's a statue..)
Because you think it was one of the worst movies of the year really has no bearing on what the Academy will do come nomination time.

DavidSeven
11-19-2010, 09:17 PM
I think Inception got enough praise from the "elites" and other disperse sects of film critics that the notion it would only get nominations because of its financial success is easily dismissed.

Irish
11-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Because you think it was one of the worst movies of the year really has no bearing on what the Academy will do come nomination time.

Well, that's true. It's mostly my shorthand way of saying no way this film wins on any kind of merit.

The Academy is politically driven, and the films that are nominated and win are mostly a reflection of how the Academy views itself and how it would like the outside world to view it.

In recent years there's also been a tendency to "split" votes, so if something doesn't get quite the attention it deserves in one category, it will often win in another, regardless of whether that is warranted.

So what I mean to say is: I think if Nolan (not the film, nor any of its actors) wins for direction, that will have less to do with his job on Inception and more with the fact that he's a good industry player and bringing in the audiences on Batman.

baby doll
11-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Best Picture: Vincere by Marco Bellocchio
Best Director: Roman Polanski for The Ghost Writer
Best Actor (tie): Ben Stiller for Greenberg and Filippo Timi for Vincere
Best Actress: Giovanna Mezzogiorno for Vincere
Best Supporting Actor: Rhys Ifans for Greenberg
Best Supporting Actress: Greta Gerwig for Greenberg
Best Original Screenplay: Jacques Audiard et al for Un prophète
Best Adapted Screenplay: Robert Harris and Roman Polanski for The Ghost Writer

eternity
11-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Best Picture:
127 Hours
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
Made in Dagenham
The Social Network
The Town
Toy Story 3
True Grit

Best Director:
David Fincher, The Social Network
Joel and Ethan Coen, True Grit
Danny Boyle, 127 Hours

Best Actor:
Colin Firth, The King's Speech
Jeff Bridges, True Grit
Jessie Eisenberg, The Social Network
James Franco, 127 Hours
Robert Duvall, Get Low

Best Actress:
Annette Benning The Kids Are Alright
Lesley Manville, Another Year
Jennifer Lawrence, Winter's Bone
Sally Hawkins, Made in Dagenham

Best Supporting Actor:
Geoffrey Rush, The King's Speech
Ed Harris, The Way Back
Mark Ruffalo, The Kids Are Alright

Best Supporting Actress:
Helena Bonham Carter, The King's Speech
Dianne Wiest, Rabbit Hole
Miranda Richardson, Made in Dagenham
Sissy Spacek, Get Low
Jacki Weaver, Animal Kingdom

Original Screenplay:
The King's Speech
Another Year
The Kids Are All Right
Inception
The Fighter

Adapted Screenplay:
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
127 Hours
Winter's Bone

Dukefrukem
11-19-2010, 11:29 PM
You guys sure as hell got a lot of faith in the Fighter.

Spinal
11-19-2010, 11:36 PM
At the risk of taking another Lynch-level beating over an opinion: Inception was one of the worst movies of the year.

It's no Hot Tub Time Machine, that's for sure.

baby doll
11-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Best Director:

Best Actor:

Best Actress:
Ellen Page, Inception

Best Supporting Actress:

Original Screenplay:
InceptionWhat a sad thought. Structurally, the screenplay is quite ambitious in terms of cutting between four different lines of parallel action (and it probably will get a nomination), but on a moment-by-moment level, it's just so burdened with exposition that nearly half the movie is spent explaining the plot. Consequently, it's not really an actors' picture (except insofar as they need stars to get people in the theatres). Nolan as a director seems to have only two notes: Portentous, often impenetrable exposition scenes, and senselessly violent action sequences. (I'm old fashioned in my preference for comprehensible violent action sequences.)

As for DiCapprio, I don't think this has been a banner year for him. In Shutter Island, he's basically doing the male equivalent of a Snake Pit melodrama. I liked this movie better when it was called Shock Corridor.

Irish
11-19-2010, 11:56 PM
What a sad thought. Structurally, the screenplay is quite ambitious in terms of cutting between four different lines of parallel action (and it probably will get a nomination), but on a moment-by-moment level, it's just so burdened with exposition that nearly half the movie is spent explaining the plot. Consequently, it's not really an actors' picture (except insofar as they need stars to get people in the theatres). Nolan as a director seems to have only two notes: Portentous, often impenetrable exposition scenes, and senselessly violent action sequences. (I'm old fashioned in my preference for comprehensible violent action sequences.)

As for DiCapprio, I don't think this has been a banner year for him. In Shutter Island, he's basically doing the male equivalent of a Snake Pit melodrama. I liked this movie better when it was called Shock Corridor.

^ This this this oh my god this.

When your character's inner life can be reduced to a one word job description, something is wrong. No way anybody in that cast gets nominated. Those roles were so shallow as to barely afford the actors the opportunity to perform.

It's no Hot Tub Time Machine, that's for sure.
:lol: Wiseass!

Irish
11-19-2010, 11:59 PM
You guys sure as hell got a lot of faith in the Fighter.

Not sure I understand the enthusiasm. Crazy Boy is a really uneven director. I'd feel better if Marky Mark's role was fielded by his older (?) brother, now confined to slumming on tv cop shows.

As an award choice ... it hasn't been that long since Million Dollar Baby's mini-sweep, so no matter how good I can't imagine the Academy piling nominations onto another sports movie, much less a boxing movie.

Ezee E
11-20-2010, 12:13 AM
BEST PICTURE:
127 Hours
Inception
King's Speech
Shutter Island
The Social Network
True Grit
The Town
Toy Story 3
The Way Back
Winter's Bone

BEST DIRECTOR
Joel Coen, True Grit
David Fincher, The Social Network
Debra Granik, Winter's Bone

BEST ACTOR
Jeff Bridges, True Grit
Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network
James Franco, 127 Hours
Colin Firth, The King's Speech
*Ryan Gosling, Blue Valentine

*If Blue Valentine is rated NC-17, then it'll go to Robert Duvall in Get Low

BEST ACTRESS
Annete Bening, The Kids Are Alright
Nicole Kidman, Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence, Winter's Bone
*Michele Williams, Blue Valentine

*Emma Stone for Easy-A if Blue Valentine is NC-17... or is The Kids Are Alright a comedy?

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Jim Broadbent, Another Year
Ed Harris, The Way Back
Geoffrey Rush, The King's Speech

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Helena Bonham Carter, The King's Speech
Lesley Manville, Another Year
Julianne Moore, The Kids Are Alright
Hailee Stanfeld, True Grit

Awful lineup here by the way....

DavidSeven
11-20-2010, 12:18 AM
A year later, 10 noms for BP remains a colossally stupid idea.

Ezee E
11-20-2010, 12:20 AM
The King's Speech
Inception
The Social Network
True Grit
Winter's Bone

That'd be the five...

DavidSeven
11-20-2010, 12:29 AM
The King's Speech
Inception
The Social Network
True Grit
Winter's Bone

That'd be the five...

A narrowing like that would actually mean something significant to those five movies. In a group of 10, I mentally revert to the internet meme "TL : DR" (too long : didn't read).

Irish
11-20-2010, 12:31 AM

I'd guess this would go away at some point, as it did before.

But then, 10 best picture noms gives everybody more to market on ... so it probably won't.

balmakboor
11-20-2010, 01:46 PM

I dunno. I kind of like it. It greatly increases the chances that something good will actually get nominated.

balmakboor
11-20-2010, 01:51 PM
I still haven't seen Inception. I just haven't found the interest. I haven't much liked anything by Nolan, not even Memento. I watched Following a few weeks ago and thought it was a glowing example of a fascinating idea totally squandered.

balmakboor
11-20-2010, 01:56 PM
In fact, looking over these proposed lists of best picture nominees has me thinking, "Wow. This year sucked." Hopefully, King's Speech and True Grit redeem it.

I'm actually dying to see Black Swan and Rabbit Hole, but those don't seem to be getting mentioned much.

baby doll
11-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Wow. This year sucked.Two words: Uncle Boonmee.

baby doll
11-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Hopefully, King's Speech and True Grit redeem it.Also, I have a total man-crush on Colin Firth, but this looks terrible. The last interesting member of the royal family was a Nazi sympathizer who abdicated to marry an American floozy, but of course, the one they make a movie about is his brother.

balmakboor
11-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Two words: Uncle Boonmee.

Yep, that one too. Joe hasn't let me down yet. It's not likely to open here in Bismarck any time soon though.

Ezee E
11-20-2010, 08:08 PM
In fact, looking over these proposed lists of best picture nominees has me thinking, "Wow. This year sucked." Hopefully, King's Speech and True Grit redeem it.

I'm actually dying to see Black Swan and Rabbit Hole, but those don't seem to be getting mentioned much.

Black Swan is my favorite of the year so far. Just a movie that I don't think will get nominated by the AMPAS unfortunately.

MacGuffin
11-21-2010, 04:22 AM
In fact, looking over these proposed lists of best picture nominees has me thinking, "Wow. This year sucked."

It's not that this year sucks, it's that the Academy doesn't care about all of the good movies.

B-side
11-21-2010, 04:30 AM
The King's Speech for the sweep. That film was concocted in an Oscar bait machine.

MacGuffin
11-21-2010, 04:31 AM
The King's Speech for the sweep. That film was concocted in an Oscar bait machine.

If it was Oscar bait, it'd be about America.

B-side
11-21-2010, 04:35 AM

I don't think that part's necessary when you've got this synopsis:

Tells the story of the man who became King George VI, the father of Queen Elizabeth II. After his brother abdicates, George ('Bertie') reluctantly assumes the throne. Plagued by a dreaded stutter and considered unfit to be king, Bertie engages the help of an unorthodox speech therapist named Lionel Logue. Through a set of unexpected techniques, and as a result of an unlikely friendship, Bertie is able to find his voice and boldly lead the country through war.

MacGuffin
11-21-2010, 04:37 AM
Oh yeah, I see what you mean. Still doesn't really look like Oscar bait to me though.

Watashi
11-21-2010, 05:23 AM
It's going to be Franco vs. Firth for the Oscar.

I still think Firth will take it because he's like old and well-respected and shit.

Morris Schæffer
11-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Come on, The Ghost Writer was tremendous. Surely the academy won't overlook this?

dmk
11-21-2010, 01:20 PM
The Ghost Writer came out too long ago to get a win for anything. Since I thoroughly neglect the Oscars as anything worth taking seriously, I hope films I do like do get thoroughly ignored (And The Ghost Writer is one of the year's best).

But I also want Peter Weir to be happy, so I guess I want The Way Back to win Big Picture (then again, I doubt Peter 'Fucking Weir gives a care about the Oscars in general). But put me down as 'Winter's Bone will probably win Biggest Picture', as those Oscar guys like to cover themselves with the guise of being intelligent and “indie”, and it's the type of "socially-aware" drama that is really in this season.

(and I liked Winter's Bone btw)

Ezee E
11-21-2010, 02:45 PM
What if The Kings Speech is, well, actually good?

MacGuffin
11-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Come on, The Ghost Writer was tremendous. Surely the academy won't overlook this?

Are you kidding me? Of course it's going to be overlooked, the director raped someone.

Winston*
11-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Are you kidding me? Of course it's going to be overlooked, the director raped someone.
Um...
http://www.videoservicecorp.com/images/Pianist-3discDVD_300.jpg

MacGuffin
11-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Um...

I forgot all about that movie. Weird. Anyway, I'm surprised he won. I just can't see Polanski accepting an award this year after what has happened lately. At all.

Kurosawa Fan
11-21-2010, 05:05 PM
I forgot all about that movie. Weird. Anyway, I'm surprised he won. I just can't see Polanski accepting an award this year after what has happened lately. At all.

He didn't accept for The Pianist either. Doesn't mean he can't win.

Morris Schæffer
11-21-2010, 05:08 PM

But isn't the Academy also about sensation? About viewing numbers? About what's in the news, popular or impopular? I fear you're more right however.:)

And yes, he was recognized for the Pianist, but it seems that Polanski's past has really come back with a vengeance these past years. 2002 was quiet by comparison.

MacGuffin
11-21-2010, 05:08 PM
He didn't accept for The Pianist either. Doesn't mean he can't win.

Ah, I see. I wasn't really thinking along the lines of him not being able accept, so much as I was of there being considerable backlash if he did win.

Irish
11-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Ghost Writer will probably be nominated (the field seems pretty thin this year, and they need to fill 10 slots).

I think it will lose not because Polanski has a criminal record, but because he's already won, and won recently.

Kurosawa Fan
11-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Ah, I see. I wasn't really thinking along the lines of him not being able accept, so much as I was of there being considerable backlash if he did win.

No backlash from Hollywood. He received a standing ovation, if I remember correctly, when he won for The Pianist.

Ezee E
11-21-2010, 05:51 PM
The Ghost Writer won't get nominated for anything because nobody saw it here.

balmakboor
11-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Um...
http://www.videoservicecorp.com/images/Pianist-3discDVD_300.jpg

Of course this had that ultimate Oscar bait factor going for it.

Watashi
11-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Of course this had that ultimate Oscar bait factor going for it.
Just because something is about Nazis, doesn't automatically make it Oscar bait.

DavidSeven
11-21-2010, 10:05 PM

No, it wouldn't.

Just because something is about Nazis, doesn't automatically make it Oscar bait.

Course not. Jewish people being persecuted by Nazis on the other hand...

baby doll
11-22-2010, 12:38 AM
So what's Polanski's legal status anyway? Obviously the Swiss aren't going to extradite him, but is he still a wanted man by the US?

Irish
11-22-2010, 01:02 AM
So what's Polanski's legal status anyway? Obviously the Swiss aren't going to extradite him, but is he still a wanted man by the US?

Yes. If he steps foot in the US again, he'll be arrested.

Mysterious Dude
11-22-2010, 05:47 AM
I also heard that he can only go to Switzerland, Poland and France now, whereas before his latest fracas, he was traveling around Europe quite freely. The Ghost Writer was filmed in Germany, for example. But I think the Interpol warrant for his arrest is still effective in every other country.

Morris Schæffer
11-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Can't believe the beach scenes of The Ghost Writer were shot in Germany.

Fucking amazing.

[/end hijacking]

Morris Schæffer
11-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Here's a prediction: Anne Hathaway and James Franco will host the Oscars.

number8
11-29-2010, 05:47 PM
No backlash from Hollywood. He received a standing ovation, if I remember correctly, when he won for The Pianist.

He did. And I remember some backlash occurred for those who stay seated, although I may be confusing that with Elia Kazan's Oscar.

Ezee E
11-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Love the Oscar hosts idea. Very different and would work for any demographic.

MadMan
12-01-2010, 06:26 PM
He did. And I remember some backlash occurred for those who stay seated, although I may be confusing that with Elia Kazan's Oscar.I thought it was just for those who refused to clap for Kazan's Oscar. But I really can't remember, either.

The Ghost Writer was really good, but if it doesn't get nominated for Best Picture I won't be terribly upset. Besides far better movies have gotten snubbed in the past.

baby doll
12-01-2010, 08:34 PM
The Ghost Writer was really good, but if it doesn't get nominated for Best Picture I won't be terribly upset.I don't know much about Oscar campaigning, but my guess is that the studio isn't going to put that much money behind a film that came out in the spring. Inception will probably get nominated with the expanded best picture field, but then, that movie made like a ton of money, whereas The Ghost Writer was a limited release.

Spinal
12-01-2010, 08:41 PM
2010 Oscar Contenders from The Onion (http://www.theonion.com/articles/2010-oscar-contenders,18559/)

Crash—Anyone dumb enough to have chosen this for Best Picture in 2005 would probably do so again five years later

Irish
12-01-2010, 09:11 PM
2010 Oscar Contenders from The Onion (http://www.theonion.com/articles/2010-oscar-contenders,18559/)

My vote goes to Ding-Dong, Jew Saver.

baby doll
12-01-2010, 09:12 PM
My vote goes to Ding-Dong, Jew Saver.

The untold story of how a cancer-riddled, mentally challenged man and his little chocolate lab accidentally saved thousands during World War II.It doesn't say if he's full retard or not.

MadMan
12-01-2010, 10:25 PM
I don't know much about Oscar campaigning, but my guess is that the studio isn't going to put that much money behind a film that came out in the spring. Inception will probably get nominated with the expanded best picture field, but then, that movie made like a ton of money, whereas The Ghost Writer was a limited release.Aye, I agree with that. And I think Irish also was right in noting that since Polanski previously won (and it was 7 years ago, but still) he would stand less of a chance in winning Best Director if he was nominated for 2010 Oscars.

Vendor—A documentary about one man's dream to open a hot-dog cart, and he does it.I would see this movie.

Ezee E
12-01-2010, 10:27 PM
I would see this movie.

Essentially, this has already been made in Man Push Cart.

MadMan
12-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Essentially, this has already been made in Man Push Cart.Okay. Well, I'll have to rent that one.

Irish
12-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Aye, I agree with that. And I think Irish also was right
Hm. I'm going to just take this completely out of context and add it to my sig, if you don't mind.

:P

MadMan
12-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Hm. I'm going to just take this completely out of context and add it to my sig, if you don't mind.

:P:lol: Hey I'm finally in someone else's sig again :pritch:

It still doesn't top the time when (I can't remember who, it might have been boner) quoted me when I posted "Fuck brevity."

DavidSeven
12-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Warners is going to push for Inception (very big), Hereafter, The Town, and um... Harry Potter. Just not now. Oh, and it's all just a PR horse race.

DEADLINE: I want to talk to you about this year’s Academy Awards. Your studio has been sitting on its duff about campaigning for Inception. The result is that other movies are overtaking the buzz when your movie should be the logical frontrunner because it did well at the box office and with critics and because Nolan’s The Dark Knight was robbed of a Best Picture nomination. Doesn’t Warner Bros win Oscars in spite of itself?

ALAN HORN (PRESIDENT OF WARNER BROS.): Well, I know that’s how you feel. My response is that, first of all, we care about the Oscars and enjoy Oscar attention. A win is a very, very big deal. It’s very prestigious, it’s very exciting, plus we are a filmmaker friendly company and have long-term relationships with filmmakers. Of course Clint Eastwood comes to mind immediately, but now Chris Nolan and even the emerging Ben Affleck are our filmmakers that we really care about deeply and we want to do right by them. We want to do everything we can to have a strong Oscar campaign. Because we want to win. But we feel that for Inception, we have to coordinate it of course with Chris and with Emma Thomas and with Leo. But what comes to mind for me is, did you see the horse race with Zenyatta by any chance?

DEADLINE: No

HORN: This horse won 19 out of 20 times. It’s a filly racing against all these giant male horses. She’s six years old whereas all the others were 3 years old. She’d never lost, and then just by a nose on the 20th and final race of her career. It was a very exciting thing. I don’t know anything about horses or horse-racing but I happened to see it. And it made me think of our conversation about the Oscars because the nominations come out, as you know, the end of December. Then the ballots go out. And then the voting takes place and all that. Our campaign is scheduled to start in a big way timed to that schedule. We are going to go very big for Inception. But we are also going to push for Hereafter because of the relationship with Clint. And for Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Part 1 although no one really expects a lot of attention for Harry Potter until the final installment which will be next summer. And for The Town because we all think that Ben did just a hell of a job, a really good job. We want to do it right. There is no intention on our part to give short shrift to this, to be cheap about it, or to be stupid about it either. So what my understanding is for Inception is that we’re going to start very heavily doing editorial pieces, we are going to screen the picture like crazy, we’re going to have online participation and print too. It won’t be for lack of trying or spending money.

DEADLINE: But are you too late?

HORN: Well, we don’t think so. That’s why I brought up the horse race. This horse Zenyatta always started at the end of the pack and all of a sudden she comes on like a freight train. And the question for us is: what’s the right timing? Because if you peak too soon, you may blow all the money before people really focus on it. So it’s a big debate you could have but we sure are trying to do it right.

Qrazy
12-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Well Avatar didn't start advertising until quite late so maybe they know what they're doing. *shrug*

Dukefrukem
12-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Christian Bale for Best Supporting Actor role. (the Fighter)

DavidSeven
12-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Right on cue with the planted interview, I saw a new billboard advertising Inception in all the major categories (+ its blu-ray) in LA today.

Watashi
12-06-2010, 10:32 PM
http://ewinsidemovies.files.wordpress .com/2010/10/aliceinwonderland.jpg

lolwut

Sycophant
12-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Man, that's rich.

MacGuffin
12-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Are they out of their fucking minds?

DavidSeven
12-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Is it me or would Claudia Puig's quote come off as hilariously dismissive of the film if posted by someone at MC?

Sycophant
12-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Just seeing it on Match Cut makes me read it derisive.

Irish
12-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Well Avatar didn't start advertising until quite late so maybe they know what they're doing. *shrug*

Avatar lost in major categories though. It also only won 3 of its 9 nominations.

What this WB guy is talking about is campaigning for the big awards, the best directors and pictures and actors. That interview sounds like WB has its head up its ass, yet again. They have no strategy and their internal plan is a mess, and this dude is trying to spin it.

MadMan
12-07-2010, 12:18 AM
Damnit, Alice in Wonderland better not get nominated. Although I guess I could skip it if it does get nominated for Best Picture, just like I still haven't bothered to see the rest of The Blind Side, or The Reader for that matter.

Ezee E
12-07-2010, 03:40 AM
Damnit, Alice in Wonderland better not get nominated. Although I guess I could skip it if it does get nominated for Best Picture, just like I still haven't bothered to see the rest of The Blind Side, or The Reader for that matter.
I feel confident to say it won't. I'll bet whatever you want MadMan.

MadMan
12-07-2010, 04:12 AM
I feel confident to say it won't. I'll bet whatever you want MadMan.Heh. And I would echo your opinion, except these days with 10 slots anything has a chance of being nominated so long as it made a whole lot of money. The Oscars are a joke, but I'm worried they're turning into the Grammys, which have always been terrible, and not even worth tunning in for. I'll still watch the Oscars, though.

Oh and the Golden Globes and the Emmys are rather underrated. But I don't often watch the latter because my TV viewing has gone down drastically over the past couple of years.

Qrazy
12-07-2010, 04:15 AM
Avatar lost in major categories though. It also only won 3 of its 9 nominations.

What this WB guy is talking about is campaigning for the big awards, the best directors and pictures and actors. That interview sounds like WB has its head up its ass, yet again. They have no strategy and their internal plan is a mess, and this dude is trying to spin it.

I meant advertising the film for it's theatrical release. I don't know how they advertised it for the awards. All I'm saying is that raising awareness and getting people to see the films seems like it can be done at a late hour through market saturation.