PDA

View Full Version : Rubicon

Mara
10-04-2010, 02:42 PM
The spoilers are getting ridiculously elaborate, and a number of people are watching.

I'm only up to episode three or so. I'll pop in when I'm further along.

[ETM]
10-04-2010, 03:55 PM
This last episode, 1x11, was written by Zack Whedon, btw.

I love how Cale apparently calls the Russian mob to dispose of the body.:lol: His resources and past connections are scary and awesome at the same time.

[ETM]
10-04-2010, 04:29 PM
(cont. from the TV Discussion)

but i'm finding the 'day in the life of an intelligence analyst' stuff more engrossing than the 'big shady conspiracy stuff' though i suppose the latter aids the former. if there's one thing the show has it's atmosphere

yeah, but then the show loses it's conspiracy angle. which, as i said above, isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the show's mission statement changes rather drastically.

I don't think it'll necessarily lose the conspiracy angle, although this one was special - as I said before, API is the key, and nothing establishes that better than the conspiracy Will is slowly uncovering: their unique insight and analytic skills that goes into research for the White Papers is what made Atlas-McDowell's (and other co-conspirators') progress possible. What this episode establishes most of all is how much Spangler really hates losing good analysts. He let Travers get as close as he did only because he hoped Will would back off - because he can use him in the future. Because, basically, he has nothing without his API teams. It's not that there's no API (or "Rubicon") without the conspiracy angle - it's the conspiracy that thrives on API insight, and it's unique. I can see Will and his team uncovering some other grand scheme in the future but, as you said, there's enough fascinating potential in their work alone that it'd be worth it to stick with the show.

ledfloyd
10-04-2010, 07:24 PM
i pretty much agree. i hope the show gets a second season just to see what it can do. i really wasn't loving much of the first half of the season, i just hung in there cause i liked the atmosphere and look, and now it's starting to come together.

kale is a great character. when he first made that phone call i really wasn't sure whether he was giving will up or helping him.

[ETM]
10-04-2010, 07:48 PM
I knew Will was gonna call him, and that he would fix things, but I had no idea how quickly. I honestly can't wait to see what happens when Will isn't dead the next morning and Spangler's cereal gets all soggy.

ledfloyd
10-04-2010, 08:08 PM
haha, i forgot about the cereal. great scene. am i wrong or were kale and the guy will killed (spacing on his name) lovers? that just adds another level to kale's character. the ease with which he took care of everything.

and at the end i was waiting for will to start scremaing 'out, damned spot, out i say!'

[ETM]
10-04-2010, 08:18 PM
haha, i forgot about the cereal. great scene. am i wrong or were kale and the guy will killed (spacing on his name) lovers? that just adds another level to kale's character. the ease with which he took care of everything.

Yes, it was implied that they had a thing in Beirut while on assignment. It was a great moment when he realized it was indeed Donald Bloom lying there in blood, but just at that very moment the "cleaner" knocked on the door. Very subtle, and again - well played by Howard.

But I wonder why they didn't show them taking care of the drugs - I'm guessing Will got stabbed with the syringe but didn't get injected. Still, that's enough heroin in the bathroom to put him away.

Hugh_Grant
10-06-2010, 12:24 AM
I've really grown attached to Will's team. Loved the scene with Miles and Julia. And Grant? Loved his "a-ha" moment.

I also have an urge to say "shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit' whenever I see Mr. Roy. (Fans of The Wire will understand. Maybe.)

ledfloyd
10-06-2010, 01:33 AM
I also have an urge to say "shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit' whenever I see Mr. Roy. (Fans of The Wire will understand. Maybe.)
i keep hoping he'll get a chance to say it. maybe after he finds out what went down this week. *crosses fingers*

[ETM]
10-06-2010, 01:54 AM
He's pulling it off, actually. Clay Davis was quite a caricature, seeing him playing a genuinely menacing guy is refreshing.

Mara
10-07-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm in the middle of episode five and I think the lead actor might be better at being silent and thoughtful than in giving little speeches. Or it might have been a badly-written speech. Hard to tell, but I found it jarring, since the show is generally more polished.

[ETM]
10-07-2010, 07:33 PM
James Badge-Dale is awesome at silent looks, but yeah, Will Travers doesn't do speeches.

ledfloyd
10-11-2010, 05:33 AM
great episode tonight. the ending was perfect, wasn't really expecting them to go there. the only part i didn't like was the blatant 'this is why the show is called rubicon' speech.

[ETM]
10-11-2010, 05:12 PM
the only part i didn't like was the blatant 'this is why the show is called rubicon' speech.

Indeed, but we were expecting it sooner or later, right?
I was wondering how they were gonna do the thing on budget, and it was perfect alright.

Acapelli
10-12-2010, 05:05 PM
god i love this show

number8
10-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Haven't seen the show, but I saw this and laughed.

http://i.imgur.com/saQjO.jpg

CTRL+F, friends.

[ETM]
10-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Hahaha, yeah. Well, it's on screen for a split second so it wasn't too bad.

Mara
10-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Episode 11: holy schneikes.

Mara
10-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Episode 12: Yiiiiiiiiikes.

[ETM]
10-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Episode 12: Yiiiiiiiiikes.

Yep. I can't wait for the finale. No idea where they'll go with it.

Hugh_Grant
10-14-2010, 06:40 PM
;293185']Yep. I can't wait for the finale. No idea where they'll go with it.
Due to f***ing Time Warner Cable's episode description on my DVR, I've been spoiled. *grumble grumble*

Still looking forward to it, though.

The last episode made me want to watch Heckle and Jeckle.

Mara
10-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Something about Spangler's voice has been driving me crazy through the whole season. I don't think I'm familiar with the actor-- maybe it just reminds me of someone else's voice?

Mara
10-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Whoa.

Safe to say, I've never seen a television show like this before. Completely unique. I'm fascinated.

Also, Kale Ingram is a terrific character.

[ETM]
10-18-2010, 08:57 PM
The finale fizzled a bit, but it had fantastic moments. Now I'd be incredibly pissed if they don't continue.

Hugh_Grant
10-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Yeah, the finale was a bit disappointing. (Wow, there is some vitriolic comments over on Sepinwall's site.) I'm still up in the air with the twist--if you can call it that--about Andy. And the fate of Katherine? Up in the air about that turn of events, too.

By the way, the "spoiler" on my DVR description read something like, "Katherine figures out the link between the deaths of Truxton Spangler and David Hadas." I guess it really wasn't a spoiler, even though it's assumed that Spangler will die, and the description is not entirely accurate either since Katherine had already died by the time Spangler and Travers talk on the roof.

Conversation with a colleague of mine:

Her: Did you watch the season finale of Rubicon last night?
Me: Yes. I hope it's not the series finale. There's no word on a second season, so AMC might cancel it.
Her: Why would they do something stupid like that?

But the ratings haven't been great, and she's the only person I know IRL who has been watching it.

[ETM]
10-18-2010, 09:57 PM
I think that "spoiler" was a mere typo, and it was supposed to read "Tom Rhumor" instead.

ledfloyd
10-18-2010, 10:06 PM
the andy twist was pretty shocking. i probably should've seen it coming but didn't.

Hugh_Grant
10-18-2010, 11:50 PM
;293930']I think that "spoiler" was a mere typo, and it was supposed to read "Tom Rhumor" instead.
I think you are right, but you can imagine my annoyance when I read it a few days ago.

number8
11-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Cancelled. Announced today.

Mara
11-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Cancelled. Announced today.

POO ON THAT. POO!

[ETM]
11-11-2010, 05:42 PM
:frustrated:

Acapelli
11-11-2010, 05:49 PM
damn

Hugh_Grant
11-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Son of a....

Irish
11-11-2010, 08:28 PM
...never found a wide audience, averaging 1.6 million viewers and 439,000 among 18-49 in its first season

Ouch.

EvilShoe
11-28-2010, 10:46 AM
So is this still worth watching, knowing there's only one season?

Or is too much left unsolved?

[ETM]
11-28-2010, 12:08 PM
So is this still worth watching, knowing there's only one season?

Or is too much left unsolved?

Definitely worth it. The final episode is a bit underwhelming but still...