PDA

View Full Version : Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life (2011)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Watashi
12-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Brad Pitt is in talks to star in Tree of Life, a drama Terrence Malick wrote and will direct.

River Road is financing, and Bill Pohlad is producing with Sarah Green (The New World) and Grant Hill.

Pitt, who recently ankled the Universal Pictures drama State of Play, would replace Heath Ledger, who was scheduled to star with Sean Penn in the Malick-directed drama, which begins production in the spring.

Though Penn is booked to play the title character in the Gus Van Sant-directed Harvey Milk, he's still expected to play a supporting role in Tree of Life.

It's actually being...made?

This has financial disaster and greatest film ever made written all over it.

[ETM]
12-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Wait... Tree of Life? Wasn't Pitt originally supposed to be in The Fountain?

Qrazy
12-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Ledger would have been better than Pitt.

EvilShoe
12-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Ledger would have been better than Pitt.
Recently I wasn't too impressed with Pitt's performance in Babel (probably because he sucked in it), but he was pretty great in The Assassination of Jesse James.

Not saying he's better than Ledger, but maybe he'll do good here as well.

Qrazy
12-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Recently I wasn't too impressed with Pitt's performance in Babel (probably because he sucked in it), but he was pretty great in The Assassination of Jesse James.

Not saying he's better than Ledger, but maybe he'll do good here as well.

Haven't seen Assassination yet, looking forward to it though.

Duncan
12-19-2007, 03:34 PM
As long as it's being made. Richard Gere stars in Days of Heaven. That film is still incredible.

DavidSeven
12-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Might seem redundant after Pitt just starred in the seemingly Malick-esque Jesse James picture. It's a step up from Colin Farrell though.

D_Davis
12-19-2007, 10:06 PM
I want this film to be made so bad it hurts.

Raiders
12-19-2007, 10:19 PM
Hm, I always thought of Brad Pitt as a good actor. I'm not sure he has given a performance I don't like. Then again, I have likely avoided his weakest projects, but still, his presence doesn't change my anticipation at all.

Boner M
12-19-2007, 10:52 PM
It's weird that I now lump together a troupe of Malick-esque actors simply because they've been in vaguely Malick-like films - Sam Rockwell, Paul Schneider, Zooey Deschanel, all who've worked with David Gordon Green and were in Jesse James, and now Brad Pitt. :eek:

DavidSeven
12-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Worst Pitt performance I've seen: guest spot on "Growing Pains" as Carol's love interest. Hilariously awful. He's definitely come a long way since then.

Qrazy
12-20-2007, 12:31 AM
Hm, I always thought of Brad Pitt as a good actor. I'm not sure he has given a performance I don't like. Then again, I have likely avoided his weakest projects, but still, his presence doesn't change my anticipation at all.

It's not that he's bad, he just has a distinct screen presence that doesn't mesh in my mind with Malick... then again Malick's all about using the big name stars and usually makes it work so... whatevs.

DavidSeven
12-20-2007, 01:31 AM
It's not that he's bad, he just has a distinct screen presence that doesn't mesh in my mind with Malick... then again Malick's all about using the big name stars and usually makes it work so... whatevs.

Why do you say that? No one seemed to complain about his presence in The Assassination of Jesse James, and that could have easily had Malick's name on it.

Qrazy
12-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Why do you say that? No one seemed to complain about his presence in The Assassination of Jesse James, and that could have easily had Malick's name on it.

I haven't seen Assassination so I can't comment, maybe I'm wrong, I don't have any strong personal bias either way. I think Pitt's a fine actor I just would have preferred Ledger for the part.

Boner M
04-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Umm, so this is apparently being filmed right now and has a budget of $175 million.

Coooooool.

Melville
04-01-2008, 01:05 PM
I'll be disappointed if this is anything less than the greatest movie ever made.

Qrazy
04-01-2008, 01:21 PM
I'll be disappointed if this is anything less than the greatest movie ever made.

I dunno, I love Malick but I'm growing more wary of his shoot tons of footage and piece it together later approach which he seems to be embracing more and more with his last two works. It certainly allows him to amass a ton of great, beautiful footage and to edit things together in interesting ways that would not have been possible with less coverage, but I find it has also made his last two films seem less focused and at times slightly indulgent. He's obviously brilliant and masterful but I hope such a big budget doesn't encourage more indulgence. Personally I think he's at his best (although his latter two films are great as well) when there's a precise, clarity of vision... something I see more so in Days and Badlands.

Spinal
04-01-2008, 05:55 PM
I really dislike Pitt's performance in 12 Monkeys. Other than that, I think he's pretty solid, though rarely exceptional.

megladon8
04-01-2008, 07:08 PM
;17949']Wait... Tree of Life? Wasn't Pitt originally supposed to be in The Fountain?

That's what I thought when I clicked in this thread, too.

Watashi
04-01-2008, 07:18 PM
I really dislike Pitt's performance in 12 Monkeys. Other than that, I think he's pretty solid, though rarely exceptional.
I think it's his best performance.

DavidSeven
04-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Umm, so this is apparently being filmed right now and has a budget of $175 million.

Coooooool.

I call bullshit. The New World grossed $12.7 million total. Brad Pitt has never in his life been able to open a movie by himself, and Sean Penn is a box office non-factor. Are they really going to give this project $25 million more than Transformers got?

Melville
04-03-2008, 04:10 AM
I dunno, I love Malick but I'm growing more wary of his shoot tons of footage and piece it together later approach which he seems to be embracing more and more with his last two works. It certainly allows him to amass a ton of great, beautiful footage and to edit things together in interesting ways that would not have been possible with less coverage, but I find it has also made his last two films seem less focused and at times slightly indulgent. He's obviously brilliant and masterful but I hope such a big budget doesn't encourage more indulgence. Personally I think he's at his best (although his latter two films are great as well) when there's a precise, clarity of vision... something I see more so in Days and Badlands.
I agree that his first two films are superior to his last two, but I think his unfocused shooting style is perfectly suited to the bizarre, sprawling story in this case. Although I just noticed that Wikipedia says the story is about three boys in 1950s America, so maybe it's not as bizarre and sprawling as I had heard previously.

Raiders
04-03-2008, 04:20 AM
I would say his last two films are better than his first two. To each his own.

Qrazy
04-03-2008, 04:49 AM
I think it's his best performance.

Same here.

Raiders
09-29-2008, 01:05 AM
Seems pretty typical stuff for Malick, but that isn't a bad thing.

Pop Trash
09-29-2008, 03:53 AM
Coming soon from the makers of Fireproof...

DavidSeven
09-29-2008, 04:06 AM
He sees as his mother does, with the eyes of his soul.

Barf.

Ezee E
09-29-2008, 04:21 AM
So no mythical creature dreaming up the creation of the world?

Bummer.

Dead & Messed Up
09-29-2008, 04:27 AM
I'm all for interconnectedness and shit, but what's the story?

Boner M
09-29-2008, 05:18 AM
Yeah, I love me some Malick, but that synopsis made me cringe.

Derek
09-29-2008, 05:21 AM
Eh, I'm pretty sure someone could write an awful synopsis for The Thin Red Line or The New World, so I'm not too worried.

It is pretty awful though...

Derek
09-29-2008, 05:22 AM
I'm all for interconnectedness and shit, but what's the story?

What are you, Robert McKee? Film don't have to tell stories.

Boner M
09-29-2008, 05:28 AM
The story ends in hope, acknowledging the beauty and joy in all things, in the everyday and above all in the family -- our first school -- the only place that most of us learn the truth about the world and ourselves, or discover life's single most important lesson, of unselfish love.

http://www.axelmusic.com/resources/covers/0/030306767994.jpg

Derek
09-29-2008, 05:46 AM
I never thought I'd ever see Park Overall again for the rest of my life, unless I accidentally stumbled across an episode of Empty Nest.

That does look like a good story. I'm sure I can relate to the male character since I was once a teenager who wanted to bang hot 15-year old girls and not get them pregnant. I hope he's likable too.

Boner M
09-29-2008, 05:54 AM
That does look like a good story. I'm sure I can relate to the male character since I was once a teenager who wanted to bang hot 15-year old girls and not get them pregnant. I hope he's likable too.
I didn't think it'd be this soon before I knocked E's quote out of my sig...

Dead & Messed Up
09-29-2008, 07:15 AM
What are you, Robert McKee? Film don't have to tell stories.

I was just asking for some context to a vague, pretentious synopsis. Seems like most of the posters agree with that viewpoint, judging from the use of words like cringe, awful, and barf.

Sxottlan
09-29-2008, 08:28 AM
So no mythical creature dreaming up the creation of the world?

Yeah that's what I was about to ask. Wasn't it the exact same title?

And is that a picture from the film? That kind of looks like Brad Pitt, but it's kind of hard to tell by the angle.

Raiders
04-05-2009, 07:11 PM
So, there may be dinosaurs in this film now? And if not in this film, the apparent IMAX sister-film documentary, possibly titled The Voyage of Time? All to be released as some event in summer '10?

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/03/23/terrence-malick-working-on-two-separate-films-the-tree-of-life-and-the-voyage-of-time/

Ezee E
04-06-2009, 01:04 AM
So, there may be dinosaurs in this film now? And if not in this film, the apparent IMAX sister-film documentary, possibly titled The Voyage of Time? All to be released as some event in summer '10?

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/03/23/terrence-malick-working-on-two-separate-films-the-tree-of-life-and-the-voyage-of-time/
I remember reading about how this movie had dinosaurs in it that were being shot on IMAX, but I thought it was some type of joke.

Although that would connect to its original premise of it spanning time from beginning to end I guess.

Hopefully they can keep it secret, so when we see it opening day, expecting lingering shots of fields and Brad Pitt, and then RAPTOR!

megladon8
04-06-2009, 01:28 AM
I still want that rumored Jurassic Park IV project to come true.

Raptors with machine guns on their backs = awesome.

Dead & Messed Up
04-06-2009, 02:36 AM
That idea has always, and likely will always, sound downright abysmal to me. Even if they're taking a deliberately campy angle... totally, totally awful. Plus, I'm pretty sure it came from a script that has long since been debunked as fake.

It was fake. The only source for it was an unsubstantiated AICN rumor, and, around the same time, Marshall had stated that they were all going back to the drawing board for the screenplay.

So even if it wasn't fake, it was still never gonna happen.

And good riddance. It's an awful fucking idea.

Ezee E
04-06-2009, 04:42 AM
Please people. Raptors with bazookas.

It would be awesome to see, bad or not.

megladon8
04-06-2009, 04:56 AM

Rep.

Amnesiac
04-06-2009, 05:01 AM
Nah.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/amishmonster/Desktop20BG20320102420x20768.j pg

Winston*
04-06-2009, 05:05 AM
You've clearly got some issues you need to work out, Amnesiac. I think you should log out and have a long hard think about your life and your position on dinosaurs with fucking bazookas attached to their backs.

Qrazy
04-06-2009, 05:12 AM
You've clearly got some issues you need to work out, Amnesiac. I think you should log out and have a long hard think about your life and your position on dinosaurs with fucking bazookas attached to their backs.

Dino Riders FTW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnHuNUNV0BE&feature=PlayList&p=5FEAAE242DD06C24&index=0&playnext=1

Qrazy
04-06-2009, 05:37 AM
Yeah, it's probably apt to recall that particular piece of pop culture. Even though I had no idea that show existed before today. I was actually just reading through some old reports that first announced the fake script and one of the comments on this article (http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/08/13/jurassic-park-4-to-feature-dinosaurs-with-guns/) reads: "don't know but to me... the plot it's like that crappy 80's cartoon: Dino-Riders."

:)

One man's garbage is another man's... ok still garbage but more like composted waste that can help grow plants of joy.

lovejuice
04-06-2009, 06:22 AM
They should just do a live-action version of that then, because it looks like the show has roots in campiness while the Jurassic Park series (Spielberg's films, at least) does not.

at least, that won't be the first time.

http://www.wonderfulworldofmovies.com/Nov_23/Jaws_TheRevenge.jpg

Winston*
04-06-2009, 07:34 AM
:sad: I haven't seen that one, but really... why does Spielberg allow his franchises to be appropriated by directors with little to no artistic credibility (or at the very least, little no to conception of what made Spielberg's films work in the first place)?

Don't think Spielberg really has any control over what people do with Jaws.

Amnesiac
04-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Don't think Spielberg really has any control over what people do with Jaws.

Yeah, I thought of that right after I made that post. But I don't know if that was the case for Jurassic Park III. Which Spielberg did say he liked in an interview... but really, how could he publicly indicate otherwise?

At least he ensured that the same thing won't happen to E.T. (http://www.mania.com/spielberg-et-2_article_33517.html):

In interviews carried on NBC Saturday night on an anniversary E.T. program, which looks at Friday's special edition re-release, Spielberg revisited the idea of crafting a follow-up to his most personal blockbuster to date. So what's the word?

"I realized it's a very perfect story," Spielberg said. "It ended exactly where it should have ended. There is no postscript to it. If people are hungry for a sequel, they should go see this 20th anniversary re-release, because there ain't gonna be one."

Mara
04-06-2009, 02:58 PM
This thread needs more Bill Watterson.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/TRexJet.jpg

megladon8
04-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Yeah, I thought of that right after I made that post. But I don't know if that was the case for Jurassic Park III. Which Spielberg did say he liked in an interview... but really, how could he publicly indicate otherwise?

At least he ensured that the same thing won't happen to E.T. (http://www.mania.com/spielberg-et-2_article_33517.html):

He says this now, but right after the success of E.T. he wrote a fucking terrible script for a sequel.

I know. We studied it in-depth in my Script Writing classes. It's one of the worst things I've ever read.

Sycophant
04-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Yeah, he decided not to do it. I mean, he could have done it. Universal would've paid him a billion dollars to have done it. But as I understand it, it was his call to not move forward on an E.T. sequel.

Can't blame him. It was early in his career. Who knew how many hits he had left and how much power he would acquire? Had I been in his position, I would've explored sequel options, too.

lovejuice
04-06-2009, 10:41 PM
He says this now, but right after the success of E.T. he wrote a fucking terrible script for a sequel.

I know. We studied it in-depth in my Script Writing classes. It's one of the worst things I've ever read.
that sounds interesting. what's so bad about it?

megladon8
04-07-2009, 02:07 AM
Some evil aliens from E.T.'s planet come to Earth and kidnap Elliott and his friends.

They try to contact E.T. to save them.

The script we read was just titled "E.T. II", but apparently Spielberg also attached the title "Nocturnal Fears" to it.

Dead & Messed Up
04-07-2009, 02:54 AM

It's awesome to laugh at, in concept. By the time we'd see it, the thing would be Snake-on-a-Planed into one big cultural "meh."

Ezee E
04-07-2009, 03:25 AM
It's awesome to laugh at, in concept. By the time we'd see it, the thing would be Snake-on-a-Planed into one big cultural "meh."
I'm pretty sure the colossal joke would last forever.

Sycophant
04-07-2009, 04:07 AM
It has been years since that rumor made the round and goddammit, I want my fucking armed dinosaurs movie.

lovejuice
04-07-2009, 04:18 AM
Some evil aliens from E.T.'s planet come to Earth and kidnap Elliott and his friends.

They try to contact E.T. to save them.

The script we read was just titled "E.T. II", but apparently Spielberg also attached the title "Nocturnal Fears" to it.
priceless!

the question is not, i think, why spielberg's sequels tend to get stupid. spielberg's movies, in general, are cliche and stupid. (big shark, dinosaur in a themepark, and let's face it, nazi with a heart of gold.) it's his craft and personal touch that elevate the material.

Qrazy
04-07-2009, 06:20 AM
Yeah, it's probably apt to recall that particular piece of pop culture. Even though I had no idea that show existed before today. I was actually just reading through some old reports that first announced the fake script and one of the comments on this article (http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/08/13/jurassic-park-4-to-feature-dinosaurs-with-guns/) reads: "don't know but to me... the plot it's like that crappy 80's cartoon: Dino-Riders."

:)

They should just do a live-action version of that then, because it looks like the show has roots in campiness while the Jurassic Park series (Spielberg's films, at least) does not.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/I_smell/robot-dinosaurs-that-shoot-beams-when-they-roar

number8
04-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Meg, when you said you read the sequel script, you meant a rough treatment, right? Because they never wrote a script. Spielberg decided pretty early on that the sequel was not worth pursuing.

transmogrifier
04-07-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm sorry, the raptors with guns idea is the only genuinely interesting idea the Jurassic Park series has had since, well, Jurassic Park.

Anyone who can't recognise thiis, well, they don't deserve raptors with guns in the first place.

megladon8
04-08-2009, 06:28 AM
Meg, when you said you read the sequel script, you meant a rough treatment, right? Because they never wrote a script. Spielberg decided pretty early on that the sequel was not worth pursuing.

Perhaps a rough draft, but it was definitely a full script. It told a complete story and was at least 100 pages long, written in proper scripting format.

It was one of the main units of study in the class, along with the evolving scripts for Blade Runner and the script for Casablanca.

right_for_the_moment
08-07-2009, 02:48 AM
Woohoo! http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118006965.html?categoryid=1 8&cs=1

Ezee E
08-07-2009, 04:25 AM
Still coming out this year? Awesome.

BuffaloWilder
08-07-2009, 06:13 AM
Gentlemen.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/ba/XenozoicTalesDarkHorse01.jpg

http://perso.wanadoo.es/dinojuegos/dinoj2/Dinocadillacs.jpg

Qrazy
08-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Ahhh I think I remember that game.

right_for_the_moment
08-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Emmanuel Lubezki On Working With Terrence Malick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfDkI74GAzk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4rAXeeEvMg&feature=channel

Raiders
10-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Now officially off the 2009 block. Maybe looking, hopefully, for a Cannes '10 release.

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/10/15/terrence-malicks-tree-of-life-wont-make-2009

Still no word on the "WTF Dinos?" action yet.

B-side
10-21-2009, 01:43 PM
So when are we thinking we'll actually get to see this? December 2010? Early 2011?

Raiders
10-21-2009, 01:47 PM
So when are we thinking we'll actually get to see this? December 2010? Early 2011?

I'm betting the same story with The New World. It'll get a couple festival premiers (likely Cannes, Toronto and maybe NY) and then some slightly edited version will premier in a platform rollout/release in late fall/early winter for awards consideration and a small scale wide release will happen in January '11.

Raiders
10-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Are all that many people outright baffled by the inclusion of dinosaurs? I think it just speaks to the scope of Malick's film. Perhaps the comparison to the hominids from 2001 will turn out to be apt.

Of course, there's a lot of mystery surrounding the inclusion of the prehistoric beasts because we know so little about the film but that leaves me more intrigued than hopelessly confused.

Considering the only plot details are about the 1950s and loss of innocence, yes it is rather strange to hear about dinosaurs, of all things. I'm not questioning their place in the film in the sense I don't like it (how would I know?) but that for the film we have heard described and the nature of Malick's previous films, dinosaurs are not exactly a natural extension. It's a bit of a shock.

[ETM]
10-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Ahhh I think I remember that game.

Wasted a lot of coins in the arcade on Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. Even played it on a PC emulator.

Raiders
10-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Are you Terrence Malick? That's the only logical explanation I can think of for why you would go into such a diatribe over my throwaway comment that was just as much in reaction to the way the news has been reported as to my own personal opinion.

And yes, I still consider it a very strange and very intriguing mystery that his film is going to have dinosaurs. Not really sure how a slow-working director of ephemeral, poetic dramas going into a scope that includes a young boy in the 1950s and dinosaurs equates with PTA doing a film set in the 1920s (he'd already done "period" a la the 1970s) or Jonze tackling a fantasy children's book, but this is really a silly argument.

In the end though, there have been reports that the dinos are actually for some sister IMAX project Malick is doing to get the funding for this film. So let's lay off the "Malick's scope" argument 'til we know more, shall we? In the mean time... WTF.

megladon8
10-21-2009, 09:13 PM
You know what would have been an amazing movie?

If Disney's Dinosaur had been a Malick film.

I imagine that could have been a be-all, end-all dinosaur movie.

Winston*
10-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Cheer up, Amnesiac.

EvilShoe
10-21-2009, 09:52 PM
1950s? Wtf?

Raiders
10-21-2009, 10:45 PM
1950s? Wtf?

Seriously. I wasn't even born yet.

Derek
10-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Seriously. I wasn't even born yet.

WTF!? Neither was I!

Raiders
10-22-2009, 02:07 AM
I'm not really upset, though. I mean, I'm used to conjuring up spite and ire (subtle and not so) in people around here lately.

I was just defending a pretty easy to understand opinion about how dinosaurs will likely broaden the scope of the film and that this isn't that alarming, the fact that the IMAX project and Malick's principal feature film will likely be related since some sites have already reported that the film will be separated into three units that are nonetheless of the same 'whole' and would thereby be patently related to the scope of the entire project, and how I find the use of the "WTF" exasperation a little obnoxious (but surely, it must become a staple of this thread from here on out, I have left each of you no alternative). And while I was doing this I was never once being so pompous as to speak for Malick or making any claim to clairvoyance. Take my opinions with a grain of salt, but don't get bent out of shape about them and then sidle back into affected indifference.

Allow the healing power of rep wash over you like the warmth of seeing through the eyes of your mother's soul.

Raiders
10-22-2009, 02:14 AM
Nice synopsis reference, but this wasn't about your stinginess in regards to rep (I feel this is the implication here). While this hasn't been the best day for me (this is likely not a pedantic conversation I would have on a good day -- in other words: I'm feeling cantankerous), I still didn't expect quite as forceful or indignant a reply as I got from you the first go around and my 'oncoming vehemently fastidious debate' sense started to tingle (perhaps a bit too preemptively, and if any serious offense/irritation was felt, I apologize).

It really had nothing to do with my "stinginess," I was just extending an olive branch.

right_for_the_moment
10-22-2009, 05:37 AM
You know what would have been an amazing movie?

If Disney's Dinosaur had been a Malick film.

I imagine that could have been a be-all, end-all dinosaur movie.

He did write what would've been an animated children's movie called Cupid & Psyche, though.

number8
10-22-2009, 07:03 AM
I don't know why anyone would ever have a problem with dinosaurs. I'll fucking accept dinosaurs in anything. If Spielberg wants to put dinosaurs in his Lincoln biopic, I'm all for that shit.

[ETM]
10-22-2009, 10:48 AM
If Spielberg wants to put dinosaurs in his Lincoln biopic, I'm all for that shit.

No one complained when Gilliam did it...
http://www.vn-productions.com/images/lounge_lizards1.gif

Adam
10-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Forget dinosaurs, Spielberg; give us an hour and a half of Lincoln money shots (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGJVkByYyRA)

Ezee E
06-12-2010, 07:03 AM
And this may or may not be a production still of Jessica Chastain:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb52/The_Playlist/more/2009/tol2008.jpg
I think that shot was a production still of a PA talking to Brad Pitt.

Ezee E
06-12-2010, 04:58 PM
My bad. I meant "behind-the-scenes" photo.

So that quote is correct.

ledfloyd
06-13-2010, 01:48 AM
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb52/The_Playlist/more/2009/brad_pitt-terrence-malick.jpg
this picture looks like malick is thinking 'my contract says no photographs!' and he's pulling out his sidearm to deal justice to the paparazzi.

Sxottlan
06-14-2010, 06:59 AM
this picture looks like malick is thinking 'my contract says no photographs!' and he's pulling out his sidearm to deal justice to the paparazzi.

Isn't that the first picture of Malick in something like 12 years?

right_for_the_moment
07-07-2010, 05:35 AM
The Tree of life is complete (http://www.collider.com/2010/07/06/terrence-malicks-the-tree-of-life-screened-mpaa-pg-13-rating/)!!

And rated PG-13. Some thematic material it appears..

Derek
07-07-2010, 06:15 AM
The Tree of life is complete (http://www.collider.com/2010/07/06/terrence-malicks-the-tree-of-life-screened-mpaa-pg-13-rating/)!!

And rated PG-13. Some thematic material it appears..

Awesome. Hopefully the studio will leave it the fuck alone this time.

Pop Trash
09-09-2010, 06:27 PM
FOX SEARCHLIGHT PICTURES ACQUIRES

TERRENCE MALICK'S "THE TREE OF LIFE"

Specialty Arm Acquires U.S. Rights from River Road Entertainment

LOS ANGELES, CA September 9, 2010 - Fox Searchlight Pictures Presidents Stephen Gilula and Nancy Utley announced today that the company has acquired U.S. rights from River Road Entertainment to the epic drama THE TREE OF LIFE. Written and directed by Terrence Malick, THE TREE OF LIFE stars Brad Pitt, Sean Penn and Jessica Chastain. The film was produced by Bill Pohlad, Sarah Green, Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, and Grant Hill. Fox Searchlight Pictures will release the film in 2011.

"Terrence Malick has crafted a deeply moving, keenly observed and magisterial film," said Utley and Gilula. "Brad Pitt, Sean Penn and the entire cast's performances are simply amazing. This is a signature film by a signature filmmaker and we are proud to be releasing it."

"Terry Malick has given us another masterpiece that is both profoundly moving and stunningly beautiful," said Pohlad. “And there is no better partner than Fox Searchlight to bring this film to audiences. Their ability to distribute and market independent films with a passion and creativity is incredibly rare in our industry.”

From the acclaimed director of such classic films as BADLANDS, THE THIN RED LINE and DAYS OF HEAVEN, THE TREE OF LIFE is the impressionistic story of a Midwestern family in the 1950's chronicling the journey of the eldest son, Jack (played as an adult by Sean Penn), through the innocence of childhood to his disillusioned adult years - trying to reconcile the complicated relationship with his father (Brad Pitt). Jack finds himself a lost soul in the modern world, seeking answers to the origins and meaning of life while questioning the existence of faith.

The deal was brokered on Fox Searchlight's side by Executive Vice President of Worldwide Acquisitions Tony Safford and Senior Vice President of Business Affairs Megan O'Brien. Mitch Horwits, President of River Road Entertainment negotiated on behalf of the company.

Fox Searchlight Pictures is a specialty film company that both finances and acquires motion pictures. It has its own marketing and distribution operations, and its films are distributed internationally by Twentieth Century Fox. Fox Searchlight Pictures is a unit of Fox Filmed Entertainment, a unit of Fox Entertainment Group.

River Road Entertainment is one of the leading independent production companies known for developing, producing and financing unconventional feature films and documentaries that astonish, inspire, reveal and provoke. The company’s pictures include Ang Lee’s Brokeback Mountain, Sean Penn’s Into the Wild, and the upcoming Fair Game, starring Naomi Watts and Sean Penn with Doug Liman directing.

Ezee E
09-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Two Malick movies in a year perhaps? That'd be weird.

right_for_the_moment
09-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Ughhh. No news was better than this..

kopello
09-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Yay for getting a distributor! Boo for having to wait till 2011, but I guess that was expected.

Raiders
09-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Two Malick movies in a year perhaps? That'd be weird.

Please... you really think his next project will be released before 2014?

angrycinephile
10-22-2010, 08:21 PM
May 27th 2011 (http://www.boffo.com/2010/10/tree-of-life-to-open-may-2011.html)

Henry Gale
10-22-2010, 10:24 PM
This would make me less anxious or somewhat mad if I thought Malick was still working on it, but it's supposed to be DONE already.

Isn't it still supposed to come out for some countries in January of next year? I can't imagine it not being everywhere (especially online) seeing as the time of the North American release would come pretty close to when other places in the world would start to have it on DVD. I guess Cannes still remains the big factor for them.

Ezee E
10-23-2010, 02:26 AM
This would make me less anxious or somewhat mad if I thought Malick was still working on it, but it's supposed to be DONE already.

Isn't it still supposed to come out for some countries in January of next year? I can't imagine it not being everywhere (especially online) seeing as the time of the North American release would come pretty close to when other places in the world would start to have it on DVD. I guess Cannes still remains the big factor for them.
I don't think it has a Euro release set either. Probably a premiere at Cannes.

transmogrifier
10-23-2010, 02:36 AM
I wonder if this one will be chopped down in length for theatres, be moderately received, eventually have 3 different versions released, and then be suddenly elevated to masterpiece level a couple of years later by people who claim that they always saw the genius right from its day of release?

Ezee E
10-23-2010, 02:45 AM
I wonder if this one will be chopped down in length for theatres, be moderately received, eventually have 3 different versions released, and then be suddenly elevated to masterpiece level a couple of years later by people who claim that they always saw the genius right from its day of release?
Eh, I think The New World had people loving it right from the getgo. Had some good discussion if I remember.

transmogrifier
10-23-2010, 02:58 AM
I was speaking hypothetically.

Ezee E
10-23-2010, 04:05 AM
I was speaking hypothetically.
fail.

Ezee E
11-03-2010, 11:00 PM
http://www.awardsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/tree-of-life-2-lg.jpg

kopello
11-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Wow that font totally kills the poster, it's like they pulled it from a cheesy sci-fi flick.

DavidSeven
11-03-2010, 11:36 PM
I think it being boring is what kills the poster first.

number8
11-04-2010, 03:40 AM
What the hell is up with the awkward placement of the house? I thought it was TARDIS at first.

Grouchy
11-04-2010, 06:03 AM
What the hell is up with the awkward placement of the house? I thought it was TARDIS at first.
I was gonna mention this. It's a complete failure at composition.

Derek
11-04-2010, 06:15 AM
This is one of the worst posters in recent memory. This film will be terrible.

[/sarcasm, couldn't care less about the poster]

Sven
11-04-2010, 07:36 AM
It's curious and awkward, but I wouldn't call it terrible. "Terrible" in posters describes floaty-head genericness (I would've loved to see transparent likenesses of Pitt and Penn in the night sky framing their names!). Awkward ethereal symbology perfectly describes Malick, actually, and it got us all etching the thing into our brains, so I'd say it's a successful advertisement.

Derek
11-04-2010, 05:22 PM
It's curious and awkward, but I wouldn't call it terrible. "Terrible" in posters describes floaty-head genericness (I would've loved to see transparent likenesses of Pitt and Penn in the night sky framing their names!). Awkward ethereal symbology perfectly describes Malick, actually, and it got us all etching the thing into our brains, so I'd say it's a successful advertisement.

Edited my post for clarity. The poster's alright. I mean, it's a Malick film. Who really cares about the poster? Now that 8 mentioned it, I do think it'd be pretty cool if the Tardis showed up.

Watashi
12-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Trailer comes out this weekend attached to Black Swan!

:pritch:

Dukefrukem
12-01-2010, 06:12 PM
wait... this film was actually made?

;)

Dukefrukem
12-03-2010, 05:39 PM
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3628/treeoflife0.jpg

Henry Gale
12-04-2010, 12:23 AM
It almost feels weird to start seeing proof of this actually existing. Basically, the trailer is either going to feel underwhelming because it'll go outside what little I've already gathered or seen from it, or it'll look completely great because it'll go outside what little I've already gathered or seen from it.

Anything feels like a win at this point.

Boner M
12-04-2010, 04:52 AM
CAM TRAILER OMG (http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/7980/6n5.mp4)

Ezee E
12-04-2010, 04:53 AM
As tempting as it is, I'm going to wait for a good version and OMG that.

Boner M
12-04-2010, 04:55 AM
It still looks pretty OMG-able. Like, next level shit.

Ezee E
12-04-2010, 04:56 AM
Can't wait then.

Melville
12-04-2010, 04:59 AM
Terrence Malick is magic.

Boner M
12-04-2010, 05:03 AM
Terrence Malick is magic.
Indeed. One of the few directors whose movies are so infinitely cosmic that they never resonate in my mind as movies.

DavidSeven
12-04-2010, 05:09 AM
I'm going to hold out for HQ. Damn those boner teases.

Qrazy
12-04-2010, 05:33 AM
Yeah that was a bad cam even by cam standards. But I'm still excited for the film.

Sven
12-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Uh-oh. Looks like more idyllic water splashing.

Chac Mool
12-04-2010, 04:22 PM

OMG indeed!

Henry Gale
12-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Holy... oh my... wow...

Incredible. Better quality now, please. (And the movie even sooner, if possible.)

!!!!!

Russ
12-05-2010, 01:29 AM
Yeah, this film can't come soon enough. Anyone know what the runtime is supposed to be?

Russ
12-05-2010, 01:35 AM
I see in IMDb trivia that Heath Ledger was originally cast for the role that Brad Pitt plays.

Let's hope Pitt does it justice (although, realistically, I'm just hoping that Pitt brings in the big BO that affords Malick the opportunity to continue making a new film every few years).

Chac Mool
12-05-2010, 02:49 PM
I see in IMDb trivia that Heath Ledger was originally cast for the role that Brad Pitt plays.

Let's hope Pitt does it justice (although, realistically, I'm just hoping that Pitt brings in the big BO that affords Malick the opportunity to continue making a new film every few years).

From the glimpses we've had, Pitt seems like a good fit.

Sxottlan
12-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Must. Resist.

jamaul
12-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Look, if you watched the bootleg of the trailer, never fear ... so did I. Last night I finally got to see the trailer on the big screen and whether you've seen the handicam version or not, it will leave you breathless. The steadicam shots of the children running interspersed with the abstract shots of space make this seem like some mega sci-fi follow-up to The New World (my #3 of the 00s). The anticipation for this film is killing me ... I've been of the same attitude as everyone else on this release: until I saw footage, I still had the sinking feeling I was going to wake up one morning and find out it didn't exist.

Anyway, if/when you see it on the big screen, bring an extra pair of pants.

angrycinephile
12-15-2010, 04:25 PM
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/thetreeoflife/

angrycinephile
12-15-2010, 04:32 PM
This will be the best movie ever made.

Sven
12-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Okay, I was making fun of the splashing earlier, but this movie looks incredible.

Watashi
12-15-2010, 04:39 PM
I can die a happy man now.

number8
12-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Holy shit.

Raiders
12-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Looks awful.

Derek
12-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Looks awful.

Cinema's greatest bore? ;)

Raiders
12-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Cinema's greatest bore? ;)

If nothing else, it'll clearly allow me to try out the new tiny travel pillow I bought.

D_Davis
12-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Yes, please.

Barty
12-15-2010, 06:41 PM
This trailer is pan.

Qrazy
12-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Really getting a strong The Fountain II vibe from a lot of that... substituting medieval questing for childhood development.

Dillard
12-15-2010, 07:24 PM
I very much like that trailer. Not a huge Malick fan; maybe this one will win me over.

Derek
12-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Really getting a strong The Fountain II vibe from a lot of that... substituting medieval questing for childhood development.

Eww, don't say that.

KK2.0
12-15-2010, 07:42 PM
yeah, i think Pitt chose the better Tree of Life film in the end

i´m not even that huge a fan of Malick (only watched The New World so far, which i liked btw), but that looked great

Qrazy
12-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Eww, don't say that.

Just sayin'... outerspace shots... tree of life... it's in a similar vein although hopefully this one will fire on all cylinders.

dreamdead
12-15-2010, 07:58 PM
I like it. And I want it to be good so bad. I probably shouldn't be worried, but the delivery of the "mother... father" line is off a bit.

Grouchy
12-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Eww, don't say that.
I really like The Fountain. Fantastic film, actually.

I dunno. The trailer looks good, of course, pretty visuals and all... But it really doesn't hook me. It doesn't even tell me what the movie's about, and it's not like that makes it intriguing, just sort of vague.

For the record, I've only seen Badlands and The New World by Malick and I liked both.

Ezee E
12-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Now my dilemma is... do I wait and see it on the big screen when I rewatch Black Swan or just see it now?

KK2.0
12-15-2010, 08:48 PM
The Fountain was a huge letdown for me :(

DavidSeven
12-15-2010, 08:53 PM
The kid looks and sounds eerily like a younger version of Jim Caviezel in The Thin Red Line. Anyone one else see it?

Heck of a trailer.

megladon8
12-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Wasn't there supposed to be a large sci-fi/fantasy aspect to the film, similar to The Fountain?

Are they just not showing any of that in the trailer? Or have I been mis-informed?

KK2.0
12-15-2010, 09:15 PM
http://twitchfilm.com/news/TreeofLife_OneSheet.jpg

Melville
12-15-2010, 09:15 PM
On the plus side, The Fountain could have been good if it wasn't so bad.

Pop Trash
12-15-2010, 09:19 PM
OMG LOVE!

Derek
12-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Now my dilemma is... do I wait and see it on the big screen when I rewatch Black Swan or just see it now?

I suggest you never watch the trailer and just wait to see the full feature.

megladon8
12-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Quite a striking trailer for sure.

But honestly guys...this would have to reinvent the wheel to be better than The Fountain.

Derek
12-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Quite a striking trailer for sure.

But honestly guys...this would have to reinvent the wheel to be better than The Fountain.

Trailers for Malick's films are better than anything Aronofsky has ever done.

Boner M
12-15-2010, 09:47 PM
http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/12/03/0513dvdtopb1__1228331101_7378/499w.JPG

megladon8
12-15-2010, 09:50 PM

Nah, this is wrong.

Even his best, The Thin Red Line, isn't as good as The Fountain.

Pop Trash
12-15-2010, 09:53 PM

Can I heart both of them? Is this acceptable?

Derek
12-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Can I heart both of them? Is this acceptable?

Sure, I don't dislike Aronofsky. I just don't think anything he's made is all that great and The Fountain is his worst.

megladon8
12-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Sure, I don't dislike Aronofsky. I just don't think anything he's made is all that great and The Fountain is his worst.

Hopefully The Wolverine will turn your opinion around.

:lol:

Watashi
12-15-2010, 10:04 PM
The Fountain is amazing.

The Wrestler is easily his worst.

D_Davis
12-15-2010, 10:09 PM
I think The Fountain is pretty and sounds great, but it is emotionally empty and its themes are never fully explored or given much life.

Pi is my favorite.

megladon8
12-15-2010, 10:15 PM
I think The Fountain is pretty and sounds great, but it is emotionally empty and its themes are never fully explored or given much life.

This is a pretty good way of summing of most of Malick's films, for me.

I never get much out of them emotionally or thematically. They're just really, really pretty.

Which is certainly nothing to bat an eye at. Malick has quite possibly the best eye for a striking image working today - maybe ever. But that's about as far as his mastery goes, as far as I'm concerned.

Boner M
12-15-2010, 10:35 PM
megladon't

Ezee E
12-15-2010, 10:56 PM
I suggest you never watch the trailer and just wait to see the full feature.
Maybe I'll just do that.

Ezee E
12-15-2010, 10:58 PM
And yeah, I like The Wrestler and all. Like it a ton. But compared to the rest of his reel, it doesn't seem to compare.

I've really been wanting to see The Fountain. Surprised it hasn't ended up on Instant Watch.

DavidSeven
12-15-2010, 11:02 PM

Seriously. I'm not even huge on Malick, but I got more out of that two minute trailer than the entirety of The Fountain.

Derek
12-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Maybe I'll just do that.

Sorry to be so smarmy. I appreciate your reverence towards Malick, but, ya know, it's a trailer. A great trailer no doubt, but no reason to blue-ball yourself over it.

Ezee E
12-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Sorry to be so smarmy. I appreciate your reverence towards Malick, but, ya know, it's a trailer. A great trailer no doubt, but no reason to blue-ball yourself over it.
By maybe, I mean I won't.

DavidSeven
12-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Plus it's pretty glorious in crisp HD. Just see it, man. Seeing it in the theater will probably be a different experience altogether anyway.

Derek
12-15-2010, 11:09 PM
By maybe, I mean I won't.

So you're rejecting my sarcastic suggestion? That hurts, E. :)

Ezee E
12-15-2010, 11:22 PM
So you're rejecting my sarcastic suggestion? That hurts, E. :)
Damn use of smarmy!

Watashi
12-15-2010, 11:33 PM
I want to have babies with this trailer.

Bosco B Thug
12-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Wowee wow wow.

Malick's gonna stumble too close to all the Truths of human existence and boy he's going to regret it when the baaacklaaash happens.

DavidSeven
12-16-2010, 12:25 AM
I like it. And I want it to be good so bad. I probably shouldn't be worried, but the delivery of the "mother... father" line is off a bit.

I do wonder about that. Little kid waxing philosophical is a bit awkward. Wonder how much of that we're going to see or if the sci-fi element might somehow be involved there.

soitgoes...
12-16-2010, 12:26 AM
Smetana! Beautiful piece of music.

Ivan Drago
12-16-2010, 03:00 AM
I just came.

Qrazy
12-16-2010, 04:02 AM
I really like The Fountain. Fantastic film, actually.

I dunno. The trailer looks good, of course, pretty visuals and all... But it really doesn't hook me. It doesn't even tell me what the movie's about, and it's not like that makes it intriguing, just sort of vague.

For the record, I've only seen Badlands and The New World by Malick and I liked both.

Days of Heaven will blow your pants off.

Qrazy
12-16-2010, 04:03 AM
On the plus side, The Fountain could have been good if it wasn't so bad.

Agreed.

Qrazy
12-16-2010, 04:04 AM
Wasn't there supposed to be a large sci-fi/fantasy aspect to the film, similar to The Fountain?

Are they just not showing any of that in the trailer? Or have I been mis-informed?

It is in the trailer.

Qrazy
12-16-2010, 04:05 AM
I do wonder about that. Little kid waxing philosophical is a bit awkward. Wonder how much of that we're going to see or if the sci-fi element might somehow be involved there.

Knowing Malick you're going to see a lot of it. A lot.

[ETM]
12-16-2010, 04:10 AM
I love The Fountain. I also love this trailer.

DavidSeven
12-16-2010, 04:14 AM
Knowing Malick you're going to see a lot of it. A lot.

Hopefully the kid thing comes across as effectively as it did in Days of Heaven (though that's my least favorite Malick).

Qrazy
12-16-2010, 04:19 AM
Hopefully the kid thing comes across as effectively as it did in Days of Heaven (though that's my least favorite Malick).

Really? Personally it's my favorite.

DavidSeven
12-16-2010, 04:27 AM

Yes. But I'd rate them all nearly the same -- i.e. I kind of like all of his films in theory, but there's always a cylinder or two that ain't firing as I watch them. I think I like the idea of what Malick does more than I actually like his films. That being said, I still respect his work a lot and oddly still consider it in tune with my sensibilities as a viewer.

Also, ranking Malick's films or generally comparing them against each other kind of seems like an odd task. Part of me kind of feels like you could edit all of his films together into one massive thing, and it wouldn't be that weird or confusing to watch.

Raiders
12-16-2010, 04:31 AM

Indeed.

I never think of Malick's voice-overs / internal thoughts as reflective of their character's true cognitive abilities but more of how that character's emotions and scenario fit into Malick's larger poetic and philosophical angle; over the last two films in particular it is more of one united voice filtered through many perspectives. His first two were definitely different; less florid for once thing, and with a more centralized narration. I think the notion in Days of Heaven is much less that Linda is narrating in the here-and-now but some future spectre of herself is watching and commenting for her less vocal current self.

B-side
12-16-2010, 05:19 AM
Trailer is excellent. I am excited.

kopello
12-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Wow that was incredible, though I'm still unsure of what the hell it's about. I think I like it that way though.

Sxottlan
12-17-2010, 12:09 AM

Once it went up on Apple, I finally caved. :|

Chac Mool
12-18-2010, 11:46 AM

Pi is my favorite.

Care to elaborate on this?

I think the exact opposite -- "Fountain" is by far his most emotional film. The entire thing -- narrative, characters, even the mind/time/space-bending aspects (if you see them as real) -- are driven by Tommy and Izzi's desire to remain together. Jackman and Weisz put in some terrific, raw performances too to hammer that in.

I don't even really think that "Fountain" is a sci-fi movie per se. The hardest science comes in the present-day scenes on cancer research; the far-future segments are more akin to fantasy or religious allegory (if they aren't read as simply Tommy's added ending to Izzi's book).

Also, on "Tree of Life", some minor speculation/rumours on the CG-intensive segments:

My understanding is that it's no so much a sci-fi element as a visual guide through the birth and death of the universe. The space scenes likely have to do with the Big Bang; the third shot shows a comet hitting Earth, likely wiping out the dinosaurs; there are also some shots of a planet coming closer to the sun -- Sol going supernova maybe?

I wouldn't expect a sci-fi plot twist to all of this. But then again, who knows?

Qrazy
12-18-2010, 04:00 PM
I enjoyed The Fountain but I can't get all that on board with it because I found the central romance ineffective. A lot of the mise-en-scene referentiality lacked subtlety as well.

Henry Gale
12-18-2010, 06:42 PM

I think the exact opposite -- "Fountain" is by far his most emotional film. The entire thing -- narrative, characters, even the mind/time/space-bending aspects (if you see them as real) -- are driven by Tommy and Izzi's desire to remain together. Jackman and Weisz put in some terrific, raw performances too to hammer that in.

I don't even really think that "Fountain" is a sci-fi movie per se. The hardest science comes in the present-day scenes on cancer research; the far-future segments are more akin to fantasy or religious allegory (if they aren't read as simply Tommy's added ending to Izzi's book).

Also, on "Tree of Life", some minor speculation/rumours on the CG-intensive segments:

My understanding is that it's no so much a sci-fi element as a visual guide through the birth and death of the universe. The space scenes likely have to do with the Big Bang; the third shot shows a comet hitting Earth, likely wiping out the dinosaurs; there are also some shots of a planet coming closer to the sun -- Sol going supernova maybe?

I wouldn't expect a sci-fi plot twist to all of this. But then again, who knows?

I don't want to suddenly turn this into a Fountain discussion thread, but I'll say that I agree pretty much all of this. I guess it's subjective to say that it may have been effective on an emotional level or not, but I honestly can't come up with a film from even the last ten years that does more for me in that sense.

Only thing I look at differently is that I see the future segments to be the film's only present, with everything else more or less told in flashback (and then fantasy within flashback when it comes to the conquistador material). It's a very little detail, but when Jackman's character first sees an apparition of his wife in the sphere ship, he asks her to take him back to have him remember what it is he needs to find peace with. Beyond that, it is structured in a way that allows for most viewers to look at it however they want, but something that also sticks out in my mind is that fact that the original title was "The Last Man", which would imply that his grief goes far beyond just the loneliness caused by the loss of his wife.

transmogrifier
12-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Trailer seems to be almost a parody of a Malick film. Still, looks better than The New World.

Sven
12-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Still, looks better than The New World.

...which totally came off as a parody of Malick films. :lol:

transmogrifier
12-19-2010, 05:23 PM
...which totally came off as a parody of Malick films. :lol:

Yep.

Derek
12-19-2010, 06:01 PM
The New World is Malick's best film. Here's to hoping he continues parodying himself here!

transmogrifier
12-19-2010, 06:07 PM
The New World is Malick's best film.

Bloody hell no.

BuffaloWilder
12-19-2010, 06:11 PM
Something tells me that trans was the Irish of his day.

D_Davis
12-19-2010, 06:20 PM

There is more to SF than hard science - as a matter of fact, hard science fiction is just a small sub-genre of SF. Most SF simply deals with an idea and how this idea impacts humanity - it's all speculative fiction. The Fountain is most definitely SF.

As far as more thoughts on the Fountain, if you're interested you can check out our podcast we did:

http://www.genrebusters.com/podcast/episode10.mp3

transmogrifier
12-19-2010, 07:06 PM

If not thinking The New World is Malick's best film is a sign of insanity, well, get me a straightjacket!

On a related note, what the hell are you talking about?

jamaul
12-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Jamaul is angered and frustrated with New World hate. He's also perturbed by by this dubious 'self-parody' nonsense.

Thank you Mr. Malick for, post-Thin Red Line (the film of the 90s), unhinging your camera and creating your most avant garde, viscerally experimental film to date, every moment of which a purely engaging cinematic experience (New World, #3 film of the 00s). May you continue with this exciting new trend in your work and prove yet again that you are very likely the most exciting, humane and deeply profound filmmaker in the world.

Grouchy
12-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Hah!

Many have been.

KK2.0
12-21-2010, 02:52 AM
surprised by all the love for The Fountain, sometimes i felt nearly embarrassed with how bad it was... talk about failed to connect.

Spinal
12-24-2010, 06:11 AM
Saw the trailer for this today and it was pretty spectacular. Looking forward to it.

Melville
03-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Article on visual effects worth reading. Dinosaurs confirmed. (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:h0CcedihMdkJ:ww w.littlewhitelies.co.uk/blog/the-tree-of-life-vision-quest-14358)

[ETM]
03-14-2011, 05:51 AM
Nice... so the article was pulled, then a Russian site put up 70 images from the film, and then pulled all but a handful... wow.

Dillard
03-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Tree of Life confirmed for Cannes? (http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/2011/03/23/malicks_the_tree_of_life_is_go ing_to_cannes_duh/)

Watashi
03-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Gorgeous new poster:

http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/NewTreeOfLifePoster-550x863.jpg

I spot dinosaurs!

number8
03-28-2011, 09:40 PM
That poster is basically just saying, "YEAH, WE GOT YOUR PRETTY SHOTS RIGHT HERE, BUDDY!"

[ETM]
03-29-2011, 07:44 AM
That poster is basically just saying, "YEAH, WE GOT YOUR PRETTY SHOTS RIGHT HERE, BUDDY!"

I actually don't know what's lazier - "Floating Heads" or "Contact Sheet" posters.

Bosco B Thug
03-29-2011, 07:54 AM
Well, at least it knows what to be proud about. I dig it.

Qrazy
03-29-2011, 12:41 PM
;335241']I actually don't know what's lazier - "Floating Heads" or "Contact Sheet" posters.

Floating Heads is lazier.

eternity
03-29-2011, 07:03 PM
;335241']I actually don't know what's lazier - "Floating Heads" or "Contact Sheet" posters.
I've never seen a contact sheet poster until now, and I dig it. I don't think I ever want to see another one though.

Floating heads are artistically lazy, but it probably takes a good amount of work to make them not look like complete shit.

Ezee E
03-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Not a fan of this poster at all.

But there is a dinosaur.

eternity
03-29-2011, 10:17 PM
It's basically the Femme Fatale trailer as a poster.

megladon8
03-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Not a fan of this poster at all.

But there is a dinosaur.

Me either.

A bunch of pretty shots =/= a pretty poster.

It's a mess. Kind of an eyesore.

Ezee E
04-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Two Ways Through Life (http://www.twowaysthroughlife.com/)

Chac Mool
04-08-2011, 12:50 AM
This movie will either be a revelation or an absolute disaster...

Derek
04-08-2011, 02:50 AM
This movie will either be a revelation or an absolute disaster...

Nothing in Malick's past leads me to believe the latter is even a remote possibility.

elixir
04-08-2011, 02:53 AM
I'm getting more and more excited for this. I'm going to make sure to watch the two Malicks I haven't seen (New World, Badlands) beforehand, but I love his style and sensibilities, and I've been getting real good vibes from this. I have quite high hopes for it.

Boner M
04-08-2011, 03:28 AM
I think new-age-y humourlessness will be the film's only real flaw, which hasn't detracted from Malick's films for me in the past, though I'm prepared for an initial wave of negative reviews from trade papers and NYC/Paulette critics.

Watashi
04-08-2011, 06:22 AM
Badlands is pretty funny.

Boner M
04-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Badlands is pretty funny.
Not in tone.

number8
04-08-2011, 02:30 PM

Aesthetically speaking, with contact sheet posters, I can at least frame it and hang it and make it fit a modern decor, because it'll just look like a collage. Floating heads... ain't no way of saving that shit.

Ezee E
04-21-2011, 06:36 PM
http://www.awardsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Tree-of-Life-dino.jpg

MadMan
04-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Having finally seen the trailer, and been blown away by it (plus that cast is a nice plus), this is now my #1 most eagerly expected movie of the year. Which means with my luck, it won't come to my home town at all, and I'll have to wait for Netflix. Hopefully I end up being very wrong. It also gives me time to um, finally see another Malick-I've only viewed The New World.

elixir
04-23-2011, 03:10 AM
Okay, I've now seen all four (count them!) of Malick's feature films, and I'm definitely really excited for this. While all his works are definitely solid, I'd put Days of Heaven above the rest, and it's probably the only one I'd consider great. But I probably enjoy looking at his filmography as a whole, if that makes sense, because his sensibilities definitely mesh with mine, even if I've yet to been blown away by one of his works. So I'm hoping this will be the one to do that.

B-side
04-28-2011, 04:22 AM
Early screening impressions. (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27345890&postcount=625)

It's far less of a narrative story than I was expecting and more of a tone poem in the vein of Tarkovksy's work.

These scenes play out in a strangely jarring way which felt slightly hypnotic to me. as I said, it's more tone poem than straight forward narrative so it felt as if I was watching a collection of memories and/or small moments in their lives. Unfortunately, This also was a downside for me. It was as if I couldn't connect with any of the characters. There was a distance there.

Sounds amazing.

DavidSeven
04-28-2011, 04:25 AM
In other words, it's like every other film that Terrence Malick has ever directed.

B-side
04-28-2011, 04:35 AM
In other words, it's like every other film that Terrence Malick has ever directed.

Precisely. I'd say Badlands and Days of Heaven were relatively character-based, but it certainly sounds like a logical continuation of his recent work.

DavidSeven
04-28-2011, 04:41 AM
It's definitely the least applicable to Badlands, but you could drop that quoted section into a review database for any one of Malick's films without causing any confusion.

More from the same reaction:

I will say that the whispering multi narrators got a little tiresome after a while, crossing into self parody for Malick. [. . .] Some will see that part as self important hogwash. My last problem is that of Sean Penn's character. He isn't in it as much as one would expect and hardly has a line of dialogue. He just vacantly stares while reflecting on his past with his father.

Looks like it shouldn't bother the already-converted at least.

B-side
05-01-2011, 02:00 AM
French DVD/Blu July 15th. (http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004YJ2CAO/dvdbeaver0d-21/ref=nosim)

:eek:

dmk
05-01-2011, 06:32 AM
Yeah, when I found out it's coming out this soon I became kind of depressed, because pricks like Brightside would rather save eleven bucks and wait until KG stocks it and then if he doesn't like it he'll blame the film and annoy me by writing "it was pretty good but flawed", which is really obscene. Fuck you.

I'm only kidding, but I'm going to see the film five times in the cinema just in case.

Also, apparently his upcoming unfinished Untitled film is being sold at Cannes market this year, which is insane and exciting.

B-side
05-01-2011, 06:36 AM
Oh no, I definitely wanna see this in theaters if at all possible. I don't live near any big cities, so if I end up seeing it, I'll be driving about 45 minutes to the nearest kinda big city. Well, I won't be driving because I don't have a car or a license.

Kurosawa Fan
05-01-2011, 01:09 PM
It's great news for people like me, who don't live within 100 miles of a city with a theater that will play this. In all likelihood, I'd have to wait for a DVD release either way.

hey it's ethan
05-01-2011, 04:11 PM
I think this will get a wider release than most think. At least a little bigger than The New World.

Ezee E
05-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Brad Pitt should at least bring it to 1000 theaters opening weekend.

Watashi
05-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Brad Pitt should at least bring it to 1000 theaters opening weekend.
Tell that to The Assassination of Jesse James.

Henry Gale
05-01-2011, 09:42 PM

Well, this is now Pitt post-Benjamin Button and Basterds. If they can give off enough of a vibe of the former to moviegoers and theatre owners, then the appeal will be there until they actually start seeing it.

Even Babel got a 1000+ theatre release.

Ezee E
05-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Never got more then 300 theaters.

If I remember right, it got pushed back several times. The studio never had faith in it is my excuse. Granted, it probably still wouldn't have made its $30 mill budget back in the theaters, but still...

DavidSeven
05-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Babel seemed a lot more marketable than Tree of Life does now. But I do think around 1,000 screens is fair. I think it could even break out and go wider, assuming the reviews are stellar. It'll need the type of WOM that Black Swan got though. Certainly no guarantee of that.

I saw the contact-sheet poster at a theater recently. It's hella ugly and doesn't draw you in at all. Should have stuck to one image. Maybe the one with Penn's hand under the faucet.

Mysterious Dude
05-02-2011, 04:12 AM
Never got more then 300 theaters.

If I remember right, it got pushed back several times. The studio never had faith in it is my excuse. Granted, it probably still wouldn't have made its $30 mill budget back in the theaters, but still...
So if Brad Pitt couldn't bring Jesse James to 300 theaters, why do you say he'll bring Tree of Life to 1000 theaters?

Ezee E
05-02-2011, 04:17 AM
So if Brad Pitt couldn't bring Jesse James to 300 theaters, why do you say he'll bring Tree of Life to 1000 theaters?
Jesse James was simply marketed wrong from beginning to end. Stellar reviews, a career performance from Pitt, and fabulous music and cinematography never got highlighted until after the Oscars, and it was far too late. The movie had come and gone without a peep.

DavidSeven
05-02-2011, 04:30 AM
I feel like the studio didn't even have faith in that movie as a prestige piece. Maybe because Dominik's name didn't have much value then. Seemed like they aggressively buried it because they didn't even want to be associated with it. Probably won't be the case with a Malick picture, unless it ends up much worse than his other films.

Sycophant
05-02-2011, 04:33 AM
Pretty sure I saw a trailer for this at two different megaplexes in Provo, Utah. Seems like it might go fairly wide?

Ezee E
05-02-2011, 05:00 AM
You could probably figure out a formula for the amount of screentime with dinosaurs translating to the amount of millions it will make.

Watashi
05-02-2011, 05:00 AM
The New World opened up at my megaplex in 2004.