PDA

View Full Version : The Adventures of Tintin (Spielberg, 2011)

Pages : [1] 2

Morris Schæffer
12-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Casting begins for the greatest flick ever!

Blistering barnacles! Andy Serkis, the British actor who portrayed Gollum in The Lord of the Rings films, is being lined up to play Captain Haddock in the forthcoming Tintin movies for Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg, according to reports.

Although studio DreamWorks has not confirmed the news, The Hollywood Reporter says it believes the 43-year-old thesp has been cast as Tintin's swearing and boozing sidekick.

If the news is confirmed, Serkis would be the first casting confirmed on the high-profile project. Three films are planned in total, with Jackson and Spielberg each directing one instalment. It is not yet known who will direct the third movie.

All three films will be made in digital 3D and will use performance-capture technology. This is a technique Serkis is well accustomed to, since he pioneered it for his performance as Gollum in the Lord of the Rings film and developed it further when he portrayed King Kong in Jackson's 2005 remake.

British screenwriter Steven Moffat, who created the sitcom Coupling and was a writer on the new Doctor Who series, is adapting three adventures of Belgian's most famous reporter, which were originally written by Hergé.

Sycophant
12-18-2007, 04:23 PM
I don't think I really know Serkis outside of Gollum, but that sounds good. I hope for the mo-cap, they opt for a more stylized image than Beowulf and its cohorts.

Moffat seems an interesting and probably good choice.

Ezee E
12-18-2007, 05:03 PM
who's directing first?

I hope Spielberg gets Lincoln out of the way.

Morris Schæffer
12-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Jackson apparently, simultaneously with The Hobbit part I and II. Doh!:)

lovejuice
12-18-2007, 05:33 PM
I don't think I really know Serkis outside of Gollum, but that sounds good. I hope for the mo-cap, they opt for a more stylized image than Beowulf and its cohorts.

Moffat seems an interesting and probably good choice.

as in a supporting role, he's actually quite good in 13 going on 30.

MacGuffin
12-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Casting begins for the greatest flick ever!

What? It's not even out yet. Calm down.

EvilShoe
12-18-2007, 10:28 PM
What? It's not even out yet. Calm down.
I know it's hard to tell, but Morris is actually a tad biased.

Morris Schæffer
03-21-2008, 05:58 PM
some news:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/861/861318p1.html

Henry Gale
03-22-2008, 05:59 AM
I still picture him as being the age he was in Love, Actually (because I'm not sure that I've seen him in anything since). But if they think he's good enough, especially for his performance to shine through the technology, I don't have any problems at this point with the choice.

transmogrifier
03-22-2008, 06:05 AM
I still picture him as being the age he was in Love, Actually (because I'm not sure that I've seen him in anything since). But if they think he's good enough, especially for his performance to shine through the technology, I don't have any problems at this point with the choice.

I hated him in Love Actually - he was a dead-eyed little sociopath.

[ETM]
03-22-2008, 02:57 PM
The kid was great in Doctor Who.

SirNewt
04-01-2008, 07:36 AM
I've actually never read Tintin but I've heard about the comic over the years. I'm very interested in this.

KK2.0
04-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Jackson apparently, simultaneously with The Hobbit part I and II. Doh!:)

i thought Spielberg would be the first...

interesting to think that now, Spielberg, Jackson and Cameron are doing 3D motion capture flicks. Zemeckis heard a lot of crap for doing this, now he must be laughing.

what you ppl think about this? it's 3D and motion capture just a fad, or are here to stay?

on a related note, Philips released a 3D HDTV that you can watch the fx without any glasses. Some demo kiosks on malls look incredible, i immediatly desired one of these and a 3D blu-ray of Beowulf to watch at home. To make things even tastier, Phillips claims that videogames may use the fx with a quick and cheap solution, i've heard that Bioshock with n-vidia's 3D plug-in is a stunner.

SirNewt
04-04-2008, 07:06 PM

interesting to think that now, Spielberg, Jackson and Cameron are doing 3D motion capture flicks. Zemeckis heard a lot of crap for doing this, now he must be laughing.

what you ppl think about this? it's 3D and motion capture just a fad, or are here to stay?

on a related note, Philips released a 3D HDTV that you can watch the fx without any glasses. Some demo kiosks on malls look incredible, i immediatly desired one of these and a 3D blu-ray of Beowulf to watch at home. To make things even tastier, Phillips claims that videogames may use the fx with a quick and cheap solution, i've heard that Bioshock with n-vidia's 3D plug-in is a stunner.

I have to say, I think it's a fad. A fad, that could grow into a staple, but for now, a fad. In fact, I'd hesitate to call it a fad even. I don't know anyone that is really demanding more of these 3D mocap flicks. It seems to me that perhaps the less than eventful last ten years of cinema have caused Spielberg and company some angst. Now they're looking for the "next big revolution in cinema." But, remember that almost anytime these "revolutions of cinema" were brought about, it was by studio heads trying to boost income. Color, stereo sound, and widescreen haven't made movies better, just different.

Oh, and as long as it requires glasses it will never last. One of the reasons film has been so successful is because the barrier for the audience is so low. One projector and a couple cans of film can facilitate thousands of viewers. Books are he long standing example of interface simplicity but with films you don't even have to read. This is actually one of the reasons video games will struggle to find a mass audience for another thirty years. So much is required for one person to participate that only a tiny segment of the population can do so.

Phillips is doing more to help 3D than Zemeckis, Jackson, Spielberg, and Cameron combined.

Winston*
09-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Universal has pulled funding from this film. Start worrying Morris!
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jSV2TGeShZ0_VOGhmo2_9k4Q 4xRQ

Lazlo
09-20-2008, 02:42 AM
Universal has pulled funding from this film. Start worrying Morris!
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jSV2TGeShZ0_VOGhmo2_9k4Q 4xRQ

Universal won't pay $130mil for three films? Sounds like cheap-skate-ness to me. Though I guess it probably has more to do with Spielberg's and Jackson's back-end deals. You'd think they'd cut those down to finally get this thing made.

Morris Schæffer
09-20-2008, 09:14 PM
That's 130 million for three movies? That can't be. Must be 130 mil for just one picture. Am I worried? Not a great deal. I've little idea what to expect of a 3D animated Tintin. I guess something along the lines of Beowulf and Polar Express? If so, then I can't say I'm ecstatic. I would have preferred live action. I wonder if Universal had halted funding if it had been live action.

Wryan
09-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Belgian's most famous reporter?

Grouchy
09-24-2008, 06:15 PM
I am TOTALLY against the idea of a live-action Tintin. It's ridiculous to me. For fucking crying out loud, he's a character with a completely blank face. That's the whole point. No actor could do that. If they go with rotoscoping, I suggest they use actors for the supporting characters (Andy Serkis as Haddock sounds fantastic), but not for Tintin.

I'm totally up for modern animated Tintin movies, though.

Morris Schæffer
09-24-2008, 08:45 PM
I am TOTALLY against the idea of a live-action Tintin. It's ridiculous to me. For fucking crying out loud, he's a character with a completely blank face. That's the whole point. No actor could do that. If they go with rotoscoping, I suggest they use actors for the supporting characters (Andy Serkis as Haddock sounds fantastic), but not for Tintin.

I'm totally up for modern animated Tintin movies, though.

Yeah, I suppose ya got a point, but it's just a face. And the hair is kinda ridiculous also, but that really doesn't need to be retained for the movie. It'd be a different medium anyway. As long as the name is Tintin, the hair is blond and it is established that he's a Belgian reporter, I'd be cool with it.

Wryan
09-24-2008, 09:09 PM
For fucking crying out loud, he's a character with a completely blank face. That's the whole point. No actor could do that.

http://markschiff.com/friends/images/BusterKeaton.jpg

number8
09-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Heh, Peter Jackson wants Simon Pegg and Nick Frost to be the Thompson twins.

Morris Schæffer
01-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Heh, Peter Jackson wants Simon Pegg and Nick Frost to be the Thompson twins.

It's kinda confirmed now it seems.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23949

Amnesiac
01-06-2009, 02:40 PM

Even Fincher was planning on using it for the now-cancelled Rendezvous with Rama.

Morris Schæffer
01-27-2009, 10:45 AM
The cast finally materializes (Jamie Bell, Daniel Craig, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Andy Serkis, Toby Jones etc...)

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=24066

I still wish this was live action. Oh, and Edgar Wright is a co-writer!

transmogrifier
01-28-2009, 12:37 AM
The cast finally materializes (Jamie Bell, Daniel Craig, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Andy Serkis, Toby Jones etc...)

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=24066

I still wish this was live action. Oh, and Edgar Wright is a co-writer!

Great cast list, actually. Jamie Bell is one of the better young actors around.

megladon8
01-28-2009, 12:42 AM
I love Andy Serkis.

Morris Schæffer
01-28-2009, 10:49 AM
So if I take the character of Gollem as he appears in Jackson's movies, and apply that to every character that will appear in the Tintin movies, I should have a clear idea of what Spielberg and Jackson are after visually?

Or is Zemeckis' Beowulf a better indicator?

[ETM]
01-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Once and for all:

GOLEM
http://theunexplainedmysteries.com/images/golem.jpg

GOLLUM
http://foreverloyal.files.wordpress.c om/2008/01/gollum.jpg

And I think they'll go for something better than both, Morris.

Qrazy
01-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Miyazaki should make a Tintin movie.

Morris Schæffer
01-29-2009, 10:46 AM
;134437']Once and for all:

GOLEM
http://theunexplainedmysteries.com/images/golem.jpg

GOLLUM
http://foreverloyal.files.wordpress.c om/2008/01/gollum.jpg

And I think they'll go for something better than both, Morris.

Forgive me. Gollum is "Gollem" in Dutch so I get them confused. We still cool?:P

[ETM]
01-30-2009, 01:56 AM
Forgive me. Gollum is "Gollem" in Dutch so I get them confused. We still cool?:P

Hahaha! Okay. I can certainly relate.:)

Morris Schæffer
01-30-2009, 02:13 PM
;134765']Hahaha! Okay. I can certainly relate.:)

:)

By the way, yesterday a Hergé museum opened here in Belgium and most folks attended because of the video message by Spielberg and Jackson.....dressed as Thompson and Thompson. :lol:

Morris Schæffer
03-18-2009, 05:13 PM
the video I talked about above:

http://www.tintin.com/#../tintinTV/tintinTV.swf&lang=fr/&mc=_root.ban2&SSPJ

Qrazy
03-18-2009, 05:30 PM
So is Tintin Spileberg's next film? Lincoln and Oldboy are shelved for now?

Ezee E
03-18-2009, 09:01 PM
So is Tintin Spileberg's next film? Lincoln and Oldboy are shelved for now?
Apparently. :(

KK2.0
03-19-2009, 12:07 AM
the video I talked about above:

http://www.tintin.com/#../tintinTV/tintinTV.swf&lang=fr/&mc=_root.ban2&SSPJ

awesome!

Maybe it's me but Spielberg looks so old and Jackson looks even younger in that video.

Qrazy
03-19-2009, 12:21 AM
awesome!

Maybe it's me but Spielberg looks so old and Jackson looks even younger in that video.

Jackson is 15 years younger.

Grouchy
03-19-2009, 03:03 AM
There's something I don't understand - in the book the flashback shows Red Rackham pretty much exactly like Haddock in a pirate custome. Why go through the trouble of getting different actors for Haddock and his great-grandfather, when Hergé made it so simple?

Other than that, great cast.

monolith94
03-19-2009, 03:43 AM
I'm sort of concerned that they haven't cast a professor calculus yet…

Sxottlan
04-18-2009, 08:18 AM
First image from the set. Love seeing Spielberg side by side with Jackson:

http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/hw800/33325.jpg

Morris Schæffer
11-01-2010, 02:07 PM
wow!

http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/hw800/45763.jpg

http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/hw800/45762.jpg

http://www.empireonline.com/images/cover/large/2581.jpg

Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson have chosen Empire to reveal the first look at The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn. Headed our way next October, the film adapts the enormously popular books by Hergé in performance-captured, 3D form.
Our exclusive and specially-Weta-created cover is a riff on the iconic image of Tintin (Jamie Bell) and his dog Snowy picked out by a spotlight as they are running. Then we have a couple of stills from the film, one showing you Andy Serkis’ Captain Haddock and another with Haddock and Tintin adrift at sea and signalling for help.
“With live action you’re going to have actors pretending to be Captain Haddock and Tintin,” says Peter Jackson. “You’d be casting people to look like them. It’s not really going to feel like the Tintin Hergé drew. It’s going to be somewhat different. With CGI we can bring Hergé’s world to life, keep the stylised caricatured faces, keep everything looking like Hergé’s artwork, but make it photo-real.”

http://www.empireonline.com/images/uploaded/empire-tintin-cover.jpg
Click the cover above to enlarge
So what can we expect from the story? Here’s what Spielberg told us. “The first part of the film, which is the most mysterious part, certainly owes much to not only film noir but the whole German Brechtian theatre — some of our night scenes and our action scenes are very contrasty. But at the same time the movie is a hell of an adventure.”

http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/hw120/45763.jpg http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/hw120/45762.jpg

The film also stars Simon Pegg and Nick Frost as Thompson and Thomson respectively (“When people first heard that bit of casting they thought that we’d gone barking mad,” says Jackson. Adds Spielberg, “The Thompson Twins can’t be clones of each other. Nick and Simon provided all the differences we needed to foil for each other. They have a wonderful moment in the movie where they start to have an argument about whose sidekick is whose.”) and Daniel Craig as Red Rackham. It also features Cary Elwes, Toby Jones, Mackenzie Crook and Daniel Mays.
And for those of you thinking really far ahead, what has Jackson got planned for his Tintin adventure if and when the planned sequel happens? “One of my favourites is The Seven Crystal Balls, so that’s the one I’ve always been thinking of,” he says. “I also really like the Eastern European ones, the Balkan ones like King Ottoman’s Sceptre and The Calculus Affair. I think it’s a terrific setting for a thriller, the weird Balkan politics and the mysterious secret service agents. I think the Moon ones are terrific, but they’d be good for the third or fourth Tintin film, if we get that far. We want to keep his feet on the ground just a little bit longer.”

number8
11-01-2010, 02:10 PM
I don't mind Haddock, but Tintin's face, at least in the dark, looks fucking creepy.

[ETM]
11-01-2010, 06:11 PM
I think he looks just right. Awesome news.

eternity
11-02-2010, 12:30 AM
The Zemeckis disease is spreading.

[ETM]
11-02-2010, 01:01 AM
The Zemeckis disease is spreading.

This is actually the cure for that.

Henry Gale
11-02-2010, 01:49 AM
As silly as it probably is to judge the animation just from these three stills, it really does look only a step above Polar Express to me. Everything from the look of Tintin's sweater (put against the one the kid had in PE), the fake lens flares, to the slight sparkle and glow around every object and character; it's not extremely expressive. I mean, we're still about a year away from the finished product, and even something like Avatar seemed to have improvements from early trailers to finished film.

I just want this to be really good. I don't so much care when something like Zemeckis' Christmas Carol comes out looking questionable, we already have other versions of that story in film. This is the only shot we've had for Tintin to be an awesome movie, and with the people behind it, it has every reason to be.

Qrazy
11-02-2010, 02:45 AM
As silly as it probably is to judge the animation just from these three stills, it really does look only a step above Polar Express to me. Everything from the look of Tintin's sweater (put against the one the kid had in PE), the fake lens flares, to the slight sparkle and glow around every object and character; it's not extremely expressive. I mean, we're still about a year away from the finished product, and even something like Avatar seemed to have improvements from early trailers to finished film.

I just want this to be really good. I don't so much care when something like Zemeckis' Christmas Carol comes out looking questionable, we already have other versions of that story in film. This is the only shot we've had for Tintin to be an awesome movie, and with the people behind it, it has every reason to be.

Although depressingly not as much so in relation to their recent output.

Boner M
11-02-2010, 03:15 AM
“The first part of the film, which is the most mysterious part, certainly owes much to not only film noir but the whole German Brechtian theatre”.

Lolwut.

Qrazy
11-02-2010, 03:22 AM
“The first part of the film, which is the most mysterious part, certainly owes much to not only film noir but the whole German Brechtian theatre”.

Lolwut.

In the very next shot shown above the plane crashes through the screen demonstrating the artificiality of the set piece.

Spaceman Spiff
11-02-2010, 03:57 AM
Tintin had a not-inconsequential impact on my childhood. I'll hate it if this sucks.

Boner M
11-02-2010, 03:59 AM
In the very next shot shown above the plane crashes through the screen demonstrating the artificiality of the set piece.
A pretty good excuse for FX teams to take it easy.

"Isn't the lack of digitizing a little, well, distracting?"
"Nuh-uh... Brechtian!"

Raiders
11-02-2010, 04:08 AM
Well, Brecht is not just the dude that made breaking the fourth wall popular. I imagine Spielberg is alluding to Brecht's "epic theatre," his staunch support of montage and his belief in the artificiality (and stark contrast) of set and narrative design.

Ezee E
11-02-2010, 04:44 AM
I've always had a lolwut to Spielberg interviews.

Henry Gale
11-02-2010, 06:14 AM
Although depressingly not as much so in relation to their recent output.

True. But the more positive end for me is Steven Moffat and Edgar Wright being the people behind the script. Plus, I really like the cast.

Either way, I just wish Crystal Skull and Lovely Bones weren't the most recent things in either director's resumes. Though I still don't hate the Jackson film, despite its nosedive in the second half. I hope for this to restore my faith and excitement in both of them.

Sven
11-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Yeah, despite his massive impact, talent, and wealth, Spielberg is one of the most annoying interviewees ever.

Grouchy
11-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I don't know what to think just yet. Like Space here, I'd hate for it to suck because of how deeply I love the books.

I wonder how faithful they'll be the story. I assume they're going to introduce Haddock as a new character.

Grouchy
11-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Wow, I was right. They're basing part of the story on The Crab with the Golden Claws, the album that introduces Haddock.

[ETM]
11-03-2010, 08:12 PM
I don't know what to think just yet. Like Space here, I'd hate for it to suck because of how deeply I love the books.

I think of it this way - the books are amazing, and the animated films were/are faithful adaptations. There's no way this can hurt the memory in any significant way, since it's not something one dreams of for years while reading the original - it's a novel approach that might just work, and it's no biggie if it doesn't, really.

Grouchy
11-03-2010, 08:15 PM
;297671']I think of it this way - the books are amazing, and the animated films were/are faithful adaptations. There's no way this can hurt the memory in any significant way, since it's not something one dreams of for years while reading the original - it's a novel approach that might just work, and it's no biggie if it doesn't, really.
Nicely put. I can roll with that.

For the record, there have been live action Tintin films before, too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tintin_and_the_Golden_Fleece
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tintin_and_the_Blue_Oranges

Watashi
11-07-2010, 12:46 AM
More images:

http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/tintin-thompson-550x251.jpg

http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/tintin-barnaby-550x258.jpg

http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/tintin-desert-550x502.jpg

[ETM]
11-07-2010, 01:09 AM
I like the mood and atmosphere of the images, I think I'm warming up to the style quite a bit. I can't wait for a trailer, seeing them in action should seal the deal.

monolith94
11-07-2010, 01:51 AM
Silk looks really good.

number8
11-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Oh, okay, so Thomson & Thompson are still twins.

megladon8
11-07-2010, 06:51 PM
I have to admit I know absolutely nothing about Tintin.

[ETM]
11-07-2010, 07:26 PM

It's worth checking out.

Morris Schæffer
11-07-2010, 09:00 PM

A globe-trotting reporter/adventurer who apparently served as inspiration for Indiana Jones.

Kurosawa Fan
11-07-2010, 09:03 PM
I asked for the first three volumes for Christmas from my parents. They were looking for something under $50. Seems like something I would enjoy.

Winston*
11-08-2010, 02:34 AM
Always preferred Asterix as a kid. Still read most of the Tintins though.

Grouchy
11-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Always preferred Asterix as a kid. Still read most of the Tintins though.
http://webs.ono.com/loqueveiamosdepeques/imagenes/lucky08.jpg

Don't forget this guy. He built the telegraph.

Winston*
11-08-2010, 02:55 AM
Never seen that guy.

number8
11-08-2010, 03:11 AM
Lucky Luke > Tintin > Asterix.

Philosophe_rouge
11-10-2010, 06:34 AM
A globe-trotting reporter/adventurer who apparently served as inspiration for Indiana Jones.

And of course, The Secret of the Incas

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s173/Justine_Smitha/secretoftheincaszx7.jpg

Spaceman Spiff
11-10-2010, 04:01 PM
I asked for the first three volumes for Christmas from my parents. They were looking for something under $50. Seems like something I would enjoy.

Is the Pharoah's Cigars the third one? (I only know the titles in french - I think that would be the english translataion). That's the first really great one.

Raiders
11-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Is the Pharoah's Cigars the third one? (I only know the titles in french - I think that would be the english translataion). That's the first really great one.

The volumes KF (I think) is referring to contain three stories each. I don't know that they go in strict publication order (I think they do), but Cigars of the Pharaoh is in Volume 1.

Kurosawa Fan
11-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Yep. Here's the first (http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Tintin-America-Pharaoh-Complete/dp/0316359408/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289409517&sr=8-1), second (http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Tintin-Vol-Ottokars-Sceptre/dp/0316359424/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b), and third (http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Tintin-Vol-Shooting-Unicorn/dp/0316359440/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_c). At twelve bucks a pop, I figure it's a solid gift idea for my parents. Plus, my kids would probably like them as well.

Morris Schæffer
05-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Tintin spotted at Cannes

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49605

Does this mean a trailer will be imminent?

Dukefrukem
05-16-2011, 05:27 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/1692/original/Tintin_US_Poster1_1000px.jpg?1 305565608
http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/1691/original/Tintin.jpg?1305564189

number8
05-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Good choice making those credits text so large and prominent.

[ETM]
05-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Good choice making those credits text so large and prominent.

Like my girlfriend just said, it reads like geek porn.

Wryan
05-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Wonderful style. Very cool-looking. I have never spent a second of my time engaged in Tintinery. Even cloaked in a bit of shadow, tho, he looks kinda creepy.

Also, I just love the idea of Spielberg and Jackson working together in some way. I dunno why exactly, it just kind of makes me giddy.

Morris Schæffer
05-16-2011, 08:53 PM
That's the title then? Great posters! Especially the second one.

EDIT: The first look at the trailer might be out tomorrow morning according to empireonline

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=31004

megladon8
05-16-2011, 10:52 PM
The colour scheme gives me a real Watchmen vibe.

[ETM]
05-17-2011, 08:41 AM
The colour scheme gives me a real Watchmen vibe.

Or pretty much any poster out there... (http://www.slashfilm.com/orangeblue-contrast-in-movie-posters/)

Morris Schæffer
05-17-2011, 10:35 AM
TEASER TIME!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Xwta_XIJo

To be honest, I don't know what to think. Bad it is certainly not, but eh I don't know.

The teaser predictably amps up the epic aspect of it and mentions spielberg and Jackson - purveyors extraordinaire of all things epic - to drive that home, but I'm not feeling it strangely enough. It's the visual style that hasn't persuaded me yet. I really would have wanted this to have been live-action I suppose although I guess the all CGI/mocap route lends itself better to Herge's peculiar drawing style. Not even sure that's a valid argument, but it seems to be one that's thrown around every so often.

Henry Gale
05-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Kind of an awkward teaser to put out as a first unveiling of footage. It almost feels like there should be a big, montage-heavy second half to it, but instead it just ends on the reveal of Tintin's face without much else to get excited about.

I'd assume that most of the animation is likely unfinished and hard to freely edit from, but this still feels like it was only cut together this to tell people that it's coming out without really doing a good job of telling much about what it actual movie is whatsoever. I'm going to assume that the average American movie-goer doesn't know who or what Tintin even is, so in that sense, this teaser will probably fail to make them care too much more about it.

Also, am I alone in feeling like this sort of mo-cap technology has kind of hit a brick wall in terms of having looked more or less the same over the past several years? I realize this is better than, say, A Christmas Carol, but there's still a strange similarity between the look of every character and digital camera movement in so many of these movies. Avatar is the only one that seems to have been a vast improvement on it, and I do realize that Tintin started production before Cameron's film and its newer version of the technology were completed, but it still feels outdated.

Winston*
05-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Tintin looks weird. I don't understand why they're making an animated Tintin then trying to make him look photo-real. If its an animated film, why not make him look like he does it the comic books?

Dukefrukem
05-17-2011, 12:42 PM
I get a very Jackson-esk epic feel from that Teaser. I wasn't interested in this until now.

number8
05-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Dropped the ball. That teaser really should have done what the one-sheet did and highlight the talent involved.

[ETM]
05-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Tintin looks weird. I don't understand why they're making an animated Tintin then trying to make him look photo-real. If its an animated film, why not make him look like he does it the comic books?

The beauty of Herge's work was how he blended highly realistic surroundings with highly stylized characters. I love how the movie makes them look like flesh and blood, yet there's just the right amount of oddness that reminds you it's not supposed to be photo-realistic. A straight up cartoon wouldn't have enough visual impact, just like live-action or Avatar-style photorealism. This is just right for Tintin, in my mind.

Wryan
05-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Thought it looked just fine. Tis a teaser. I predict the fuller trailer will make people happier.

Am I wrong in thinking these are "for kids/kids-at-heart"-type pulpy adventure stories? Cause that's the impression I got. If that's what the stories are like, it seems okay for now.

Irish
05-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Dropped the ball. That teaser really should have done what the one-sheet did and highlight the talent involved.

The teaser prominently displays Spielberg's and Jackson's names. Who else did you think should have been highlighted?

[ETM]
05-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Indeed, Herge is great with those. One of my favorites is his non-Tintin work, a Mortimer & Blake title "The Mystery of the Great Pyramid". He went to Cairo and the drawings are preciously detailed and accurate because it was all based on real locations: architecture, art, street life, clothing... and it's a truly satisfying and clever take on the myths about the Great Pyramid and its secrets, involving the heretic pharaoh Akhenaton. I think I must have read it a hundred times.

[ETM]
05-17-2011, 01:15 PM
The teaser prominently displays Spielberg's and Jackson's names. Who else did you think should have been highlighted?

For me, and a lot of others, Moffat and Wright are huge draws.

Irish
05-17-2011, 01:37 PM
;345530']For me, and a lot of others, Moffat and Wright are huge draws.

Verrrrry tiny audience, mostly made up of nerds who were mystified (mystified!) that Scott Pilgrim tanked.

General audiences have noooooo idea who those guys are. They definitely don't warrant top billing in a teaser. And ffs -- they're writers in an H'wood movie. They're lucky their names are on the f'ing poster. ;)

(Disclosure: I admit to being said nerd who will now see this movie because Moffat was involved. Better be pretty f'ing great given his spastic lack of attention to The Doctor).

[ETM]
05-17-2011, 01:51 PM
That's very cute.

number8
05-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Verrrrry tiny audience, mostly made up of nerds who were mystified (mystified!) that Scott Pilgrim tanked.

General audiences have noooooo idea who those guys are. They definitely don't warrant top billing in a teaser. And ffs -- they're writers in an H'wood movie. They're lucky their names are on the f'ing poster. ;)

(Disclosure: I admit to being said nerd who will now see this movie because Moffat was involved. Better be pretty f'ing great given his spastic lack of attention to The Doctor).

I think the billing on the one-sheet is perfect. It's a teaser trailer. General audiences aren't even going to know what the fuck this movie is. The deliberate hiding and reveal of Tintin's face makes it clear that the teaser is aimed at the core audience. As of now, no one would particularly care after seeing this, especially since Spielberg's name has been attached to so many animated projects and the teaser doesn't stress that he's DIRECTING this. It just says "from the director Steven Spielberg" like one of those misleading credits. Transformers 3 is "from Steven Spielberg." Even if it's a tiny percentage of people who would recognize the names, they could have framed the teaser as a "gathering of top talents" united to bring a renowned European artist's work to the screen.

Irish
05-17-2011, 03:12 PM
As of now, no one would particularly care after seeing this, especially since Spielberg's name has been attached to so many animated projects and the teaser doesn't stress that he's DIRECTING this. It just says "from the director Steven Spielberg" like one of those misleading credits. Transformers 3 is "from Steven Spielberg."

Great point. You're right.

KK2.0
05-17-2011, 07:20 PM
I'd assume that most of the animation is likely unfinished and hard to freely edit from...

Also, am I alone in feeling like this sort of mo-cap technology has kind of hit a brick wall in terms of having looked more or less the same over the past several years? I realize this is better than, say, A Christmas Carol, but there's still a strange similarity between the look of every character and digital camera movement in so many of these movies. Avatar is the only one that seems to have been a vast improvement on it, and I do realize that Tintin started production before Cameron's film and its newer version of the technology were completed, but it still feels outdated.

Considering it's from the same people that did Avatar I don't see why you could expect any less judging from this teaser.

Actually, i think the teaser already shows WETA's superb attention to detail when it comes to refining mocap animation, maybe it's easier for animators to notice such subtle poses but when Tintin punches some guy or runs, his staging looked true to Hergé's draws.

number8
05-17-2011, 07:35 PM
By the way, did you guys know that Janusz Kaminski is the DP for this? If you're asking how one DPs an animated film, Spielberg hired Kaminski to come on set and shoot the mo-cap stuff with him, then sent him to work with WETA Digital as a "Lighting Consultant" to instruct the animators how to make the images look.

Henry Gale
05-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Considering it's from the same people that did Avatar I don't see why you could expect any less judging from this teaser.

Actually, i think the teaser already shows WETA's superb attention to detail when it comes to refining mocap animation, maybe it's easier for animators to notice such subtle poses but when Tintin punches some guy or runs, his staging looked true to Hergé's draws.

I'm not saying I don't expect the final film to look better, but what we see here still feels to me like it has a lot of the pre-Avatar stiltedness in the body movements that was common for so many mo-cap movies, as well as having a certain feel to its digital cinematography and design that all the Zemeckis movies have had that is a little harder to put my finger on.

I guess in the end I'm just looking forward to the movie a lot, so when something like this first teaser underwhelms me, even though it doesn't show much at all, I can't help but worry a bit.

KK2.0
05-17-2011, 10:08 PM
I see. Perhaps it's the dark, part-cartoony part-realistic look that make it more like those Zemeckis' mocap films, Beowulf, Polar Express, Scrooge and Monster House were all pretty much like that.

Not that the 'stiltness' of mocap doesn't stand out, but maybe i've became used to it and stopped thinking about it.

TGM
05-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Just saw the teaser. Hadn't been following anything about this movie beforehand, so I thought that was live action until about halfway into the trailer. That's some damn impressive animation.

Morris Schæffer
07-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Longer trailer

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50324

Looks boring actually.:sad:

Watashi
07-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Longer trailer

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50324

Looks boring actually.:sad:
What?

Looks awesome.

Morris Schæffer
07-11-2011, 06:06 PM
What?

Looks awesome.

In a way, the animation does, but I don't get gripping adventure from this.

DavidSeven
07-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Looks creepy and impersonal. How many times does the public have to reject this technology before they stop basing entire movies around it?

Grouchy
07-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Once again, I'm torn. The animation still looks very uncomfortable and I don't know if I'll ever get used to the face they put on Tintin.

But as a fanboy, I just can't wait to see it. Andy Serkis as Haddock sounds awesome from that trailer. Where's Calculus?

B-side
07-12-2011, 04:23 AM
I think it looks fun.

kopello
07-13-2011, 02:01 AM
That looks like a blast, I can't wait.

Irish
07-13-2011, 02:18 AM
Once again, I'm torn. The animation still looks very uncomfortable and I don't know if I'll ever get used to the face they put on Tintin.

I thought it looked great, but every time the camera got close to Tintin's face I felt myself being pulled into that uncanny valley and it was just creepy.

The trailer used plenty of cuts to soften the impact of that, and I'm interested to see how the movie handles it.

Henry Gale
09-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Wait, what? Maybe this was known before, but I just saw this gets released to almost the whole rest of the world in late October, early November, almost two whole months before its Christmas release in North America (with Brazil in January). I understand this is probably a welcome thing to the rest of the world (particularly in the UK where they tend to get things like Pixar movies months late for no reason) getting something long before the US and Canada, but it doesn't seem to make much sense why the studios would do this otherwise.

I do see that the distribution is being split by Sony and Paramount in different parts of the world, but even then, Paramount is still in charge of a lot of the countries getting it way earlier. Oh well, at least I can adjust my expectations for a while before actually having to decide to see it.

Morris Schæffer
09-30-2011, 05:41 AM
hAAiXQB4U10

Some new stuff that's looking nice if a little improbable in the action stakes. Camera work looks fabulous.

And it's in German.

Grouchy
09-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Wait, what? Maybe this was known before, but I just saw this gets released to almost the whole rest of the world in late October, early November, almost two whole months before its Christmas release in North America (with Brazil in January). I understand this is probably a welcome thing to the rest of the world (particularly in the UK where they tend to get things like Pixar movies months late for no reason) getting something long before the US and Canada, but it doesn't seem to make much sense why the studios would do this otherwise.

I do see that the distribution is being split by Sony and Paramount in different parts of the world, but even then, Paramount is still in charge of a lot of the countries getting it way earlier. Oh well, at least I can adjust my expectations for a while before actually having to decide to see it.
I think the studio rightfully realizes that Tintin is a lot more famous outside of the US.

Henry Gale
09-30-2011, 09:19 PM
I think the studio rightfully realizes that Tintin is a lot more famous outside of the US.

Yeah, but what about us in Canadaaaa? I (and a lot of my friends) used to watch it every day on TV way back in the day. And after all that dedication, we gotta wait just as long as the States. *stubborn arm cross*

[ETM]
09-30-2011, 09:22 PM
You're still just the hat in many things, HG.

Henry Gale
09-30-2011, 10:17 PM
;374878']You're still just the hat in many things, HG.

Well, we hope it's seen as more of a slick Stetson instead of the bobble tuque it more likely is. Either way, it's a hat that's more well-versed in Tintin.

Morris Schæffer
10-06-2011, 10:57 AM
qLkgH8ORfk0

International trailer

Morris Schæffer
10-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Renowned UK mag Empire Magazine reviews it!

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=135271

number8
10-14-2011, 03:11 PM
There's something very wrong with people who are not excited for this.

ThePlashyBubbler
10-14-2011, 05:53 PM
http://vimeo.com/30402976

Really cool, albeit fan-made, credit sequence for the film.

Winston*
10-14-2011, 11:16 PM

Love that. The animated Tintin theme is so good.

Morris Schæffer
10-15-2011, 09:09 AM

Especially those that are fans, like me. But I'm coming around. In fact, suddenly I couldn't be more excited. The 3d is apparently astonishing, Haddock is the emotional center of the movie, the action rawks. The entire sidecar sequence, which plays as a homage to The Last Crusade, was filmed in one shot.

Morris Schæffer
10-15-2011, 09:12 AM

High quality stuff! Love it.

SpaceOddity
10-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Tis written by Moffat. Methinks Snowy will be revealed as Tintin's father and son. *nods*

Morris Schæffer
10-18-2011, 10:46 AM
op3w_ICK4us

This looks like virtuoso filmmaking. The camera work is just phenomenal.

number8
10-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Gah! I'm boundlessly excited for this.

D_Davis
10-18-2011, 04:52 PM

Seriously. This looks bad ass.

Morris Schæffer
10-18-2011, 05:48 PM
1 more week!:)

megladon8
10-18-2011, 06:19 PM
I think it looks really neat, I just wish I knew more about Tintin and its universe.

Because I know nothing.

number8
10-18-2011, 07:41 PM
You'll probably find out by watching the movie. Like every other movie.

[ETM]
10-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Is it me or does the villain look kind of like a cross between Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg?

Grouchy
10-18-2011, 08:16 PM
The story for this intrigues me. It has some scenes from The Secret of the Unicorn, some from The Crab with Golden Claws, NONE from Red Rackham's Treasure (which would seem like the most obvious fit) and some that are seemingly made up for the movie and that take place in the Sahara portion of the story.

Morris Schæffer
10-18-2011, 08:40 PM
The story for this intrigues me. It has some scenes from The Secret of the Unicorn, some from The Crab with Golden Claws, NONE from Red Rackham's Treasure (which would seem like the most obvious fit) and some that are seemingly made up for the movie and that take place in the Sahara portion of the story.

That is actually ridiculously bizarre since the secret of the unicorn and The Treasure of Red Rackham are a two parter. I guess it goes to show they were merciless in adapting Tintin and perhaps that's the way to go sometimes.

number8
10-18-2011, 10:04 PM
They probably just condensed it. The majority of that book

is a red herring anyway, so the story still makes sense if you excise it and go straight to the treasure discovery.

Morris Schæffer
10-19-2011, 04:22 PM
This thread is really four years old?! :eek:

D_Davis
10-19-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm predicting an absolute masterpiece. I have a really strong feeling about this film.

It's so weird to me how completely unknown Tintin is in the United States. My best friend in elementary school and I had a huge stack of Tintin books, and we loved the stuff. But beyond him, I never knew another person who even knew who Tintin was.

[ETM]
10-19-2011, 05:05 PM
I read many Tintin books in instalments, as they were published in Politikin Zabavnik, a magazine for kids and youth from Belgrade. I've also seen the cartoons on German television.

D_Davis
10-19-2011, 05:09 PM
I can't even remember if the books I had were in English or not. I was in ~4th grade, it was around 1984.

number8
10-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Part of it is insularity, I think. Tintin wasn't even translated into English until around 1960, and by that time the comic book industry in the US was already so strong and diverse that few, if any, European comics penetrated the general market.

You look at manga, and it only really took off in the US in the mid 80's, and that's after two decades of dubbed anime appearing on US television helping to pave the way.

D_Davis
10-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Man, I remember how much it sucked in the late-80s to be into Japanese comic books. We'd get, maybe, 5 titles a year from Viz Media translated (Nausicaa, Grey, Area 88, Outlanders, Pineapple Army (amazing!), etc.). And then there was CPM(?), and a couple of really small indie guys putting stuff out. It's crazy to compare that to now, and how the manga section at book stores is a huge, legit section.

Stay Puft
10-20-2011, 04:29 AM
Was the Tintin television series not a thing in the US? Because it was in Canada, and my friends and I were all obsessed with it growing up.

Lazlo
10-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Was the Tintin television series not a thing in the US? Because it was in Canada, and my friends and I were all obsessed with it growing up.

I remember watching it a lot on Nickelodeon when I was probably somewhere between 8 and 12 years old, which is why it kind of surprises me that more people my age (27) in the States haven't heard of it. It was on every afternoon, I'm pretty sure.

Wryan
10-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Please...somebody tell me who Haddock reminds me of. He looks so...freakin...familiar. Like..........oh fuck I just got it. He's a bearded, giddy Charles Bronson.

This looks very fun, btw. Looks fantastic, actually.

http://tintinology.poosk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/tintin-and-haddock-cool.jpg

EDIT: Btw, I currently have Tintin hair. I hope nobody notices. Wasn't intentional.

D_Davis
10-20-2011, 04:05 PM
EDIT: Btw, I currently have Tintin hair. I hope nobody notices. Wasn't intentional.

Back when the faux-hawk was becoming more popular, I always called it the Tintin.

number8
10-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Back when the faux-hawk was becoming more popular, I always called it the Tintin.

When I did this, and people don't get it, and I ask them if they know who Tintin is, they would say, "The dog?"

D_Davis
10-20-2011, 04:31 PM
When I did this, and people don't get it, and I ask them if they know who Tintin is, they would say, "The dog?"

WHY YOU NOT KNOW WHO TINTIN IS?

Morris Schæffer
10-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Well, we had the world premiere last week, but sadly audiences in Belgium seem not to really care about this movie. Could it be because Tintin is called Tintin in Belgium as well whereas his original Belgian name is "Kuifje?"

kuehnepips
10-31-2011, 08:50 AM
He's a Tim in Germany, and his dog is Struppi (which is actually a good name for this dog). What's the dog's name in Belgium?

Morris Schæffer
10-31-2011, 09:59 PM
He's a Tim in Germany, and his dog is Struppi (which is actually a good name for this dog). What's the dog's name in Belgium?

That would be Bobbie. Or Bobby. :D

Morris Schæffer
11-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Spielberg has directed some of the most indelible movies of all time, but this one isn't part of them. On a technical level, it's certainly impressive (my 3d experience was lousy though), but on any other none of it really excels. A revengle angle that's barely sold, a quest/mystery that unravels far too easily, action that looks great, but is only moderately thrilling (too much slapstick shenanigans suck any kind of tension and gravitas out of it). The harbor set finale was kinda bad. As for the characters, not bad. Haddock was fun, but only because of what I remember from the books, not because I was enraptured by Serkis and the writing. If Haddock really is the emotional center of the movie, then you're gonna have to put emotional between "". This is not henry jones sr. Vs. Indiana jones stuff. I can't even remember the score from john williams except that it wasn't bad. Opening credits were very cool. I'm Belgian myself and read all the tintin books so you can imagine where I'm coming from. True, I'm not a huge animation fan, but I think I know greatness when I see it (toy story 3!). Now more than ever i'm thinking about what could have been had this been live action, had it been helmed by Spielberg Prime. And I also feel that if they were dead set to adapt the secret of the unicorn and do it animated, a two parter (part one ending with a cliffhanger, like the books) might have been a better idea. This adaptation is merely ok and that kinda hurts.

[••½]

[ETM]
11-06-2011, 02:14 PM
What was wrong with the 3D? My girlfriend saw it in 3D and took her 80+yo grandfather, and they both loved it.

Morris Schæffer
11-06-2011, 04:10 PM
;382482']What was wrong with the 3D? My girlfriend saw it in 3D and took her 80+yo grandfather, and they both loved it.

Not the 3d itself. The screen was very dim. Removing my glasses was a veritable eye-opener. Surprising considering the film often took place in bright daylight. Must have been the quality of the screen.

[ETM]
11-06-2011, 04:20 PM
That's unfortunate. When the film-makers and studios don't screw up 3D, the theatres do. The current tech itself limits the brightness of the final image, and when there are additional problems...

Morris Schæffer
11-06-2011, 04:54 PM
;382496']That's unfortunate. When the film-makers and studios don't screw up 3D, the theatres do. The current tech itself limits the brightness of the final image, and when there are additional problems...

I opted for the lesser theater in my neigborhood. Sometimes a 5-min drive bests a 35-min one. :)

ThePlashyBubbler
11-11-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm admittedly biased by being a huge fan of the comics since childhood, but I thought this was great. In particular the opening credits and an insanely choreographed several minute chase sequence done in ONE SHOT. Spielberg at his rollicking best.

No Calculous :(

[ETM]
11-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Saw it today, on a brand new large RealD screen... and I thought it was wonderful. I'm a Tintin fan, but not a fanatic, so I didn't really hang on what was missing or changed, just what's on screen. And Spielberg answered the question of "why not live action?" with several mindblowingly complex sequences.:lol: Aside from a few instances of where Spielberg panned too quickly for the passive glasses system to cope, the only issue I had with the film was the lack of any deeper introduction to Tintin - we're thrown straight into it, and we accept that he's a reporter, famous, young and lives alone.
I particularly liked the voice acting - even though I knew the cast, they were almost completely in character and their identities never lingered on screen like so often happens with animation, especially motion-captured. The character designs worked (I burst out laughing when I saw Spielberg's "cameo") and everyone down to the last "extra" was remarkable and added to the tapestry. I took a friend, my brother and my mother to see it, and they all loved it, as well as the entire audience. Many moments got loud laughs and cheering. Overall - very much worth seeing in 3D and a really fun time at the movies.

Henry Gale
11-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Ugh... Mediocre cam quality version predictably made its way online... Word of mouth getting increasingly better... Either I just get the gist of it now, or wait to experience it all on the big screen, in 3D in a month and a half from now. I'll just try to forget that copy is floating around. Now if a screener leaks in the meantime, that might be a different story.

Also, the movie's already on its way to make its money back from its current overseas release alone. As long as it doesn't absolutely tank over here, I'd say we can expect an official sequel announcement by the end of the year.

[ETM]
11-11-2011, 09:39 PM
I don't think it can tank, there has to be positive word of mouth, it's a crowd pleaser for sure.

Morris Schæffer
11-11-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm admittedly biased by being a huge fan of the comics since childhood, but I thought this was great. In particular the opening credits and an insanely choreographed several minute chase sequence done in ONE SHOT. Spielberg at his rollicking best.

The most unexciting one-shot sequence in, like forevah? It's all played for cheap laughs. The technicalities dazzle, but there's no thrill to it. Spielberg at his rollicking best? Nah, that was 1981 dude.

[ETM]
11-11-2011, 10:53 PM
The technicalities dazzle, but there's no thrill to it.

I was thrilled. So was my audience. YMMV, I guess.

ThePlashyBubbler
11-12-2011, 12:27 AM
;383795']I was thrilled. So was my audience. YMMV, I guess.

This.

Morris Schæffer
11-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Well, to be honest, the directorial bravado on display was definitely a little impressive so, in a way, this is spielberg at his nearly rollicking best. It's just that one needs to care enough about what is going on, the quest, the characters, so that such action scenes have that little bit extra that really elevate them. I don't think this movie has convincing villains (protagonists are hardly textured either) nor did I truly feel there was something at stake here. It has that typical feel that a lot of toons are drenched in, that feel that tells you it's all gonna be fine, everything will be allright. It's not as pervasive here, but it's there. My mistake perhaps since I probably thought of Indiana Jones prior, during and after this movie, but that's a comparison that was cultivated by the press, Spielberg himself and the frankly, blatant similarities.

You guys were genuinely thrilled even during the bombastic, and frankly boring finale with the harbour cranes?

Edit: what is YMMV? :)

[ETM]
11-12-2011, 10:15 AM
You guys were genuinely thrilled even during the bombastic, and frankly boring finale with the harbour cranes?

It was "the T-Rex is loose in the city" over the top Spielberg, but I thought it was amusing and looked good in 3D.

what is YMMV? :)

LMGTFY (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=YMMV)

;)

Henry Gale
11-13-2011, 07:51 PM
So I ended up watching this anyway, and yeah, I completely agree with Plashy and ETM that it's just pure, perfectly-executed entertainment that manages to use the mo-cap technology in some of the best ways we've seen so far while still managing to ground everything it in (mostly) human, believable action and visual storytelling with a scope and level of detail that probably would have been impossible with live action. Some of what Morris said rings true though. I don't think Williams' scores brings much to the table in the way of new, instantly impressive themes like he has in so many other Spielberg epics, and I also agree that a lot of the mystery flows along at almost too much of an easy pace, leaving the script to only give physical roadblocks to Tintin and Haddock to pad things out.

But in the end this movie is just insanely fun and solid stuff all-around that I can't wait to see in 3D on the big screen with a bunch of friends or family come Christmas time. I watched Midnight In Paris and this back to back and to me they're both are great examples of two of the best directors in the world taking on a slightly different set of tools, pushing themselves just out of their comfort zone (Spielberg with this technology, Allen with his location, and things like a more sci-fi-tinged screenplay he had since... I don't know, Sleeper?) but managing nevertheless to do what they do best, even this far into their respective careers.

[ETM]
11-13-2011, 10:14 PM
I agree on Williams, but I think he actually did wonderfully to stay in the background and just emphasize when needed - like the pretty damn awesome sequence with Haddock's memories. Overbearing themes would hurt the film in this case.

D_Davis
11-14-2011, 01:08 AM
Not the 3d itself. The screen was very dim. Removing my glasses was a veritable eye-opener. Surprising considering the film often took place in bright daylight. Must have been the quality of the screen.

That's actually an often-discussed problem with 3D, and really modern cinema in general. It seems that films these days lack striking contrast, and thus they often look more like television. I've heard everything from the 3D lenses, the HD "printes," to the actual filmmaking blamed. But it is a fact - many films these days look dim and dull.

[ETM]
11-14-2011, 01:12 AM
I had no issues with the brightness, contrast or colors. Sure, 3D dims them, but they compensated very well and it looked great.

Watashi
11-14-2011, 02:33 AM
So I ended up watching this anyway

Ew. Why would you watch a mediocre cam version of THIS film? That's disgusting.

Henry Gale
11-14-2011, 03:54 AM
Ew. Why would you watch a mediocre cam version of THIS film? That's disgusting.

I know, in most other cases I wouldn't have, but if the studio had just released it here and not left it to the rest of the world to leak it then I definitely wouldn't have been compelled to not just see it properly right away. I first opened the file to see how the quality actually was, and before I knew it I had watched over ten minutes and liked what I already saw way too much to not go ahead with the rest.

I'm still absolutely going to see it once it's out for real, but I just wish the option hadn't have been there at all to test my patience and appreciation for good film presentation. But in a way I'm actually glad I watched it this way first so that when I do watch it a second time a month and a half from now the 3D and big screen experience of it will just make its inherent awesomeness that much fresher.

baby doll
11-26-2011, 05:39 AM
So apart from the opera singer, there are no women in this picture. I think that's worth pointing out. I mean, Spielberg was never a women's director to begin with, but I can't think of another movie of his where women were so thoroughly marginalized.

Morris Schæffer
11-26-2011, 07:20 AM
I know, in most other cases I wouldn't have, but if the studio had just released it here and not left it to the rest of the world to leak it then I definitely wouldn't have been compelled to not just see it properly right away. I first opened the file to see how the quality actually was, and before I knew it I had watched over ten minutes and liked what I already saw way too much to not go ahead with the rest.

I'm still absolutely going to see it once it's out for real, but I just wish the option hadn't have been there at all to test my patience and appreciation for good film presentation. But in a way I'm actually glad I watched it this way first so that when I do watch it a second time a month and a half from now the 3D and big screen experience of it will just make its inherent awesomeness that much fresher.

You disgust me! :D

Morris Schæffer
11-26-2011, 07:22 AM
That's actually an often-discussed problem with 3D, and really modern cinema in general. It seems that films these days lack striking contrast, and thus they often look more like television. I've heard everything from the 3D lenses, the HD "printes," to the actual filmmaking blamed. But it is a fact - many films these days look dim and dull.

Transformers 3d looked nicely bright and vibrant this year, but that was another theater. Tintin took place in bright daylight often, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Watashi
12-21-2011, 10:37 PM
With Rise of the Planet of the Apes and now Tintin, Andy Serkis has completely owned this year.

This was really fun. I loved the one-shot chase sequence. The slapstick was great. I love how it never tried to take itself too seriously. Snowy was the MVP.

Wryan
12-21-2011, 10:51 PM
It was fun, but it pitched headlong thru the narrative so much I wasn't sure of the reason. Trying to cover a lot of detective ground, probably, but still. Serkis's Haddock was just wonderful. The dam flood/chase sequence is absolutely the reason to buy a 3D ticket for it. Otherwise eh on the 3D. Not sure how much money this is making/gonna make, whether they're gonna pull back on the next film, but I'd see another.

Spun Lepton
12-21-2011, 11:22 PM
Any uncanny valley issues?

Wryan
12-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Not for me. Whether it's because I've now seen enough of these movies that I'm not really looking for it or whatever, I thought all of the characters looked great. Very good cgi and animation, I thought. Some physics issues here and there though. Haddock is probably the greatest triumph here, performance and look and story.

ledfloyd
12-22-2011, 02:35 AM
i saw this today. it was alright, i was rather underwhelmed. aside from the dam chase nothing really stood out to me, and the climactic battle felt especially flimsy following that. i went in expecting something like raiders, and perhaps my expectations were too high, but i didn't find anything in tintin that exciting. i'm a fan of the comics as well.

TGM
12-22-2011, 06:10 PM
This movie was awesome! Just a really fun, great time all around. Loved the action (that one-shot scene near the end was tremendous!), loved the humor, and holy crap is the animation jaw droppingly good. I swear, there's several scenes that legitimately look live-action.

Oh, and was I the only one totally getting an Ewan McGregor vibe from Tintin?

ledfloyd
12-22-2011, 10:58 PM
also, i didn't notice that the chase scene was done in one shot. which probably is a testament to how well it's done.

Morris Schæffer
12-23-2011, 07:37 PM
15 million in 5 days seems to be the prediction. That seems too low to warrant a sequel, but I suppose Spielberg and Co. had always banked on overseas grosses to make or break the deal.

Ezee E
12-23-2011, 08:48 PM
It's doing huge business overseas isn't it?

[ETM]
12-24-2011, 12:17 AM
It's well under way to $300 million, I think.

Morris Schæffer
12-24-2011, 07:50 AM
It's doing huge business overseas isn't it?

Oh definitely. I just had the impression that it was an unspoken wish of Spielberg (and Jackson) that Tintin would really breakthrough in the usa. That doesn't seem to happen.

Edit: At all. A measly 9.1 million three-day tally. But I suppose this is no biggie although I can imagine Spielberg and cohorts being quite dissapointed.

Watashi
12-27-2011, 05:56 AM
The Adventures of Tintin - Baffled by the lukewarm reaction. This is better than anything Pixar has touched. That's a yay, btw.
What.

B-side
12-27-2011, 05:58 AM
What.

Yup. With Spielberg at the helm, Tintin actually feels cinematic. There's an attention to dynamism and detail that is absolutely absent in typical animated films. No poop jokes or bad puns. The humor is clever and dry, and the slapstick actually works.

Watashi
12-27-2011, 06:00 AM
Yup. With Spielberg at the helm, Tintin actually feels cinematic. There's an attention to dynamism and detail that is absolutely absent in typical animated films. No poop jokes or bad puns. The humor is clever and dry, and the slapstick actually works.
What.

B-side
12-27-2011, 06:01 AM
What.

Good rebuttal. Let's do this again sometime.

Watashi
12-27-2011, 06:01 AM
What.

Watashi
12-27-2011, 06:06 AM
Even the Match Cut Pixar detractors can't agree with this.

Pixar not cinematic? Uh.... WALL-E is nothing but cinematic. As is The Incredibles. Pixar actually takes time to develop their main characters. Compared to Woody, Mr. Incredible, Sully, and even WALL-E, Tintin is not even in the same league. Tintin stays the same throughout the entire film. Spielberg's direction is amazing and the humor is very funny, but other than that... it's just entertaining fluff. Pixar features no poop jokes or bad puns (outside of the two Cars films).

What.

Spinal
12-27-2011, 06:06 AM
Does Pixar do poop jokes? I don't remember any off the top of my head.

Watashi
12-27-2011, 06:09 AM
Does Pixar do poop jokes? I don't remember any off the top of my head.
There's like one in Toy Story 3 and even that joke is stretching it.

B-side
12-27-2011, 06:12 AM
Even the Match Cut Pixar detractors can't agree with this.

Pixar not cinematic? Uh.... WALL-E is nothing but cinematic. As is The Incredibles. Pixar actually takes time to develop their main characters. Compared to Woody, Mr. Incredible, Sully, and even WALL-E, Tintin is not even in the same league. Tintin stays the same throughout the entire film. Spielberg's direction is amazing and the humor is very funny, but there's no poop jokes or bad puns (outside of the two Cars films) to be had,

What.

Yeah, Pixar's films are not very cinematic, no. There's a rudimentary attention to mise-en-scene in their films. Their effort goes into sentimentality. Tintin is a technical powerhouse with a swooping camera capturing memorable images and staging. The lighting alone is far beyond anything I've seen in a Hollywood animated film. Tintin has unique match dissolves and a perfect sense of comedic timing. There's no needless backstory for the main character, and no unearned saccharine galvanization. Tintin is a vessel for a world of mystery where fate drops clues and adventure around the main character. I don't need Tintin to realize he needs to grow up or believe in miracles.

Spinal
12-27-2011, 06:18 AM
There's no needless backstory for the main character, and no unearned saccharine galvanization. Tintin is a vessel for a world of mystery where fate drops clues and adventure around the main character. I don't need Tintin to realize he needs to grow up or believe in miracles.

Completely disagree with you here. This is the film's biggest weakness. The character is a complete cipher. The fact that I have absolutely zero investment in him makes the film purely a technical success and not one that I am likely to remember for too long.

Stay Puft
12-27-2011, 06:19 AM
There's a poop joke in Toy Story 2. Mr. Potato Head quote-unquote shits himself during the conveyor belt sequence in the airport.

B-side
12-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Completely disagree with you here. This is the film's biggest weakness. The character is a complete cipher. The fact that I have absolutely zero investment in him makes the film purely a technical success and not one that I am likely to remember for too long.

His intellectual curiosity was plenty for me to latch onto. He's not exactly a mute empty slate.

TripZone
12-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Tintin has unique match dissolves.
I thought he overdid these a little, and yet they count towards the extreme fluidity of the thing.

There's a similar one in War Horse with Emily Watson knitting, the creases in her dress dissolve into the terrain of the field outside.

B-side
12-27-2011, 07:41 AM
I thought he overdid these a little, and yet they count towards the extreme fluidity of the thing.

There's a similar one in War Horse with Emily Watson knitting, the creases in her dress dissolve into the terrain of the field outside.

Yeah, I can agree there. Fluidity is a good way to describe. The whole thing blends wonderfully. It's kind of one giant seamless set piece.

TripZone
12-27-2011, 07:44 AM
How amazing is that one long "take"?
Apart from that though, I thought Uncharted 3 did the same thing better.

B-side
12-27-2011, 07:48 AM
How amazing is that one long "take"?

Loved it. It builds tense scenario upon tense scenario into one extended piece of escalating excitement. It's absurd, but in a manner that's so faithful to the whimsy of the best of fantasy adventures.

ledfloyd
12-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Tintin stays the same throughout the entire film.
i'm on your side here, but it's worth noting that tintin stays the same throughout all 26 or however many comic books as well.

Yeah, Pixar's films are not very cinematic, no. There's a rudimentary attention to mise-en-scene in their films. Their effort goes into sentimentality. Tintin is a technical powerhouse with a swooping camera capturing memorable images and staging. The lighting alone is far beyond anything I've seen in a Hollywood animated film.
umm... rango had amazing lighting, but to focus on pixar i felt wall-e featured the best cinematography of 2008. it's an incredibly cinematic film, as are both films brad bird directed, and up, and i want to say toy story 3 was as well but i don't remember it as clearly. it really sounds like you're confusing pixar with dreamworks.

Barty
12-27-2011, 08:24 PM
I love Spielberg as you all know, and Tin Tin is great visually, but Pixar makes Tin Tin as a whole feel like a poop joke. Such a disappointing effort from Spielberg.

Ezee E
12-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Does Cars even use lame puns? I don't really remember them.

eternity
12-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Tintin isn't childish, in fact, it's a kids movie that doesn't even seem like it's made for kids, considering how most of the children in the audience kept asking "What does that mean?"

The problem with the film is simply that it's boring. There are a few awesome scenes, but it's too little too late for what amounts to a very mediocre adventure story.

[ETM]
12-27-2011, 11:04 PM
I just saw MI4:Ghost Protocol... Tintin is 10x the movie.

Raiders
12-27-2011, 11:16 PM
;392495']I just saw MI4:Ghost Protocol... Tintin is 10x the movie.

Spoken like a true European. I'm guessing "soccer" is also superior to American football too, huh? Does Tintin fake injuries?

[ETM]
12-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Is this an intercontinental thing now? I just came back from the movie and was underwhelmed. Tintin was insane fun compared to MI, I can't even fathom "boring" being mentioned in any context regarding the film.

TGM
12-27-2011, 11:26 PM
;392501']Tintin was insane fun compared to MI, I can't even fathom "boring" being mentioned in any context regarding the film.

Yeah, I don't really get that one. :\

TripZone
12-28-2011, 01:53 AM
Wall*E looks like total ass compared to Ratatouille :\

monolith94
12-28-2011, 03:31 AM
Liked the movie, didn't love it. The action sequences felt ridiculous and too over-the-top to me.

The film showed an obvious love for the Tin Tin mythos, but didn't really capture the core strengths of the series. Hence why I didn't love it.

Watashi
12-28-2011, 03:59 AM
Wall*E looks like total ass compared to Ratatouille :\
If that's so, I wanna know what kind of ass you like looking at.

Morris Schæffer
12-28-2011, 07:53 AM
I'm a big tintin fan and even I can see, with some effort, where boring is coming from. Not for me as I still had fun (not of the insane kind :)) but I can see others resorting to the word.

number8
12-28-2011, 08:54 PM
I thought it was thrilling as fuck. Really nailed the spirit of those classic treasure hunt movies like Sierra Madre, which is the obvious intent.

B-side
12-29-2011, 03:25 AM
I thought it was thrilling as fuck. Really nailed the spirit of those classic treasure hunt movies like Sierra Madre, which is the obvious intent.

Yup.

lovejuice
12-30-2011, 12:17 AM
how the hell does this movie flop so badly in the USA? :evil:

If all go according to plan, I will be watching this today. Can't be more exciting!

number8
12-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Dunno. This was by far the emptiest IMAX showing I've ever been to (it was only about a 1/3 full). That includes Under the Sea 3D. Think about that.

Raiders
12-30-2011, 01:15 AM
how the hell does this movie flop so badly in the USA? :evil:

Very crowded schedule at the theaters and nobody here knows who the hell Tintin is. I imagine there are more than a few people who think it is a famous German Shepherd.

Ezee E
12-30-2011, 01:17 AM
Very crowded schedule at the theaters and nobody here knows who the hell Tintin is. I imagine there are more than a few people who think it is a famous German Shepherd.

That's what I thought it was when I first heard about it.

TGM
12-30-2011, 01:40 AM
It released against much more recognizable names such as Mission: Impossible, Sherlock Holmes, and, yes, even Alvin and the Chipmunks. Add in the fact that most Americans have never even heard of Tintin, and the movie never had a chance this weekend, no matter what the quality.

Really makes you wonder why they chose such a packed weekend to release it in America. It's like they purposefully set it up to fail.

Raiders
12-30-2011, 01:44 AM
Well, I don't think it was ever going to make too big of a splash, and this is the time of year it can have good legs as opposed to the front-heavy summer where it would have come and gone with a whimper.

TGM
12-30-2011, 01:49 AM
Didn't it release worldwide in October? It probably could have done better if it released here at around the same time as well. There wasn't nearly as much competition, if I recall correctly.

Ezee E
12-30-2011, 02:27 AM
Surely Oscar buzz will help its legs though. Can't really say that I see Rango winning it sadly.

Spinal
12-30-2011, 08:24 AM
It's not just that people haven't heard of Tintin. It's that the lead character has virtually zero personality and charisma. He's completely out-of-step with the times. He's not witty or edgy or funny. He's very difficult to relate to.

Sxottlan
12-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Enjoyable. Probably the first motion capture film to really start getting across actual emotion in the characters' faces due to muscle movement around the eyes, even if there isn't much to the titular character (and the eyes themselves are still kind of lifeless).

Still would have rather seen it as a live action film. I can only imagine how that sea battle would have looked. "The Shot" is indeed amazing, one of the best of the year. I'm curious how they could pull that off live action. Probably couldn't.

But at the end of the movie, I walked out shrugging my shoulders and thinking, "Decent, but what's the big deal?" There's not much background on the main character. He just stumbles into the adventure. And really, the first rule of a newsman is to not become the story. I understand that this was actually the forebearer to a lot of what came later, but like that upcoming John Carter, I look at these movies and think, "Sorry, too late." I know, it's not fair, but I can't help but feel that way.

And once again, I missed the big trailer before the film. This time being The Hobbit. I get to the theater on time, but I'm not used to the big crowds at an early afternoon matinee. Took awhile to get in. I'm thinking of seeing this again just so I can see it on the big screen.

lovejuice
12-30-2011, 05:04 PM
number8's "thrilling as fuck" is not an overstatement. I love it. The slapstick that worries me so in the trailer actually comes out very nice. Spielberg successfully combines the chaotic energy of slapstick with the thrill that is a trademark of live action. I like the movie the way it is, not too cartoony yet cartoony enough for people to swallow certain fantastic elements.

For example, when Tintin is about to get chopped up by the copper blade and Haddock needs to parachute/jump/fly to save him. The scene would not have had that much tension if it'd been fully animate, and in live action, it would have been pure goofy, like what happens in Crystal Skull. In fact, watching this, I can't help but think perhaps Tintin is what Spielberg and Lukas had in mind when they created Indiana Jones.

number8
12-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Actually, this is a full circle for Spielberg. He first started reading Tintin after noticing that various French critics kept mentioning it as a comparison in their reviews for Raiders of the Lost Ark, which is the huge success that eventually afforded him the power to purchase the rights to Tintin in the early 90's.

DavidSeven
12-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Haven't seen the film, but I remain convinced that you'll never sell America on this "dead eyes" technology. Maybe everything works in the finished film, but the marketing materials still make the guy look creepy.

dreamdead
12-30-2011, 11:40 PM
All the setpieces are admittedly brilliantly shot and choreographed, but Spinal nails it on the head: Tintin is just a huge nothing character. Maybe this stays true to the roots of the GN, but it's an emotionally empty experience. The best bit is likely the credit sequence, which is fun and pleasurable.

This also might be the most masculine film I've seen (bear with me here), since I can only recall two women in the entire thing... is it always this way in the GN?

Spinal
12-31-2011, 12:03 AM
Does Tintin ever do or say anything that isn't directly related to advancing the plot from point to point? Very rarely. He doesn't flirt with girls or crack wise or have a secret vice or an Achilles heel. It would help if he had some sort of flaw. Like when Indiana Jones overcomes his fear of snakes. Or James Bond gets distracted by beautiful women.

Bosco B Thug
12-31-2011, 01:28 AM
Oddly enough, I'm fine with Tintin the way he is. I think it's part of the film's charm, the fact that Tintin is so intrepid (superficially so) and the film is all about selling that, and it results in many of the film's best moments.

That said, the film definitely doesn't get going until he teams up with Haddock.

number8
12-31-2011, 03:07 AM
That's very much his characterization in all the comics. Over the years, Tintin fans and historians often argue that it's an intentional device to make him a cipher and allow the reader to assume the role of the protagonist adventurer. Whatever the case, it's not just his neutral personality. Herge deliberately never bothered giving his main character a single mention of any family member or background story, and not once was he given even a fleeting love interest. He's just a perpetual globetrotting adventure-machine.

Rowland
12-31-2011, 08:10 AM
Yeah, this is a bit empty, and while the climactic action sequence provides nice closure for the film's real star, Haddock, I agree that it plays like one climax too many, and is somewhat clunky compared to most that precedes it. But on the whole, I enjoyed this a great deal as a breathlessly paced machine for delivering setpieces, most of which are imagined, choreographed, and animated with a thrilling degree of inventive wit and virtuosic cinematic craft.

And since everyone is comparing this to Indiana Jones, I'd rank it well below Raiders, but way above the others.

Chac Mool
01-02-2012, 02:15 AM
I enjoyed it a lot, even though it is a tad hollow.

Spielberg is clearly liberated by the CG medium, and the film is essentially a long line of extraordinary action set-pieces, with characters, props, settings, camerawork and music combined in minutely detailed ways. I could probably have spend hours re-watching some of these extended sequences (the cat-and-mouse around the hijacked boat, the chase through Bagghar, Haddock's flashback) in order to pick out all the little details.

The technical aspects of visuals are also extraordinary -- this is the first CG-animated film to strike the right balance between stylized and realistic characters. It's easy to animate rats or giraffes or robots; rendering humans that look human without coming off like dead-eyed mannequins is way harder. As far as I'm concerned, a job well done, WETA.

All that being said, I do agree that the whole thing's a little hollow. It's certainly sufficiently fun and light-hearted to warrant a two-hour excursion to the theaters, but of all the characters, only Haddock has any depth beyond the superficial motivations of the plot. At his best, Spielberg is able to combine breathless action with genuine human emotion and pathos; here's, the scale is tilted heavily in favor of the former.

Kurosawa Fan
01-07-2012, 08:44 PM
This was visually superb. The adventure makes the film fly by in a blink, and both of my kids were riveted. I can understand where Spinal is coming from with Tintin as the lead, but I think that Snowy and Haddock provide the fun and laughs, and Tintin's straight man gives a fair balance. Perhaps he could use a bit more personality than given, but I didn't find that it detracted much from the experience. Definitely a very fun film, something I wouldn't mind watching again.

Grouchy
01-17-2012, 01:31 PM
I'm with monolith. This is a very good adventure film, and another milestone for Spielberg. As a Tintin film, it's not 100% satisfying, but then, again, what Hollywood adaptation could satisfy me? I've been a Tintinophile for as long as I can recall being able to read. I think there is something in the constant excess of the action and even in the way Spielberg shoots slapstick that directly contradicts the way Hergé draws his comics, even if they're just as frantic. I might be getting a bit esoteric here, I admit. It's a loving homage to the series from a director with a very mainstream background.

The thing is, overall, I liked it a lot. I laughed very often (Haddock) and "The Shot" was just exhilarating. The changes they made from the books made sense to me, although I'm completely clueless as to how they're gonna work the Rackham treasure hunt into the next film when they've already covered that story's ending - and I'm very willing to be surprised. One thing I did feel is that they didn't give some of the investigation scenes enough breathing space. By this I mean that Tintin solved puzzles and collected clues way too quickly at times, so that they were exposed as the plot points they obviously are.

Some of the things you guys are complaining about just show your shameful ignorance of the Tintin universe. The guy has no discernible personality, background, family, sex or even interests behind adventuring and that's as it should be. There are no women except for Bianca Castafiore and that's as it should be. If Spielberg had tried to change these elements to service the audience I'd be offended as fuck.

Morris Schæffer
01-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Some of the things you guys are complaining about just show your shameful ignorance of the Tintin universe. The guy has no discernible personality, background, family, sex or even interests behind adventuring and that's as it should be. There are no women except for Bianca Castafiore and that's as it should be. If Spielberg had tried to change these elements to service the audience I'd be offended as fuck.

Can't it go both ways? I'm, obviously, a big Tintin fan, but what's wrong with enhancing certain aspects? Slavishly adapting something isn't usually a guarantee for succes either. And you speak of this as if it were the same as dumbing down, hence you being offended, but I disagree.

EyesWideOpen
01-17-2012, 10:09 PM

What a ridiculously condescending statement. It's not my job as a film viewer to read up on the source material of every movie I watch. And just because something works in one venue doesn't mean it's going to work in another. I personally didn't care about Tintin's lack of personality. I thought the action except for one or two big set pieces was boring, the characters were uninteresting and I didn't laugh once.

Spinal
01-17-2012, 10:47 PM
This film did not make me want to spend any more time with Tintin, either in film or book form.

Dukefrukem
01-18-2012, 01:43 AM
Surely Oscar buzz will help its legs though. Can't really say that I see Rango winning it sadly.

Nope. This is taking it home. This movie was fucking awesome. Loved everything about it, except how human-like Snowy is. I'm sure that's part of the gag and theme from the original content, but it irked me a little.

[ETM]
01-18-2012, 03:30 AM
Snowy rules. He was identical to the literary portrayal.

D_Davis
01-18-2012, 03:31 AM
This film did not make me want to spend any more time with Tintin, either in film or book form.

That's a shame, because the comic books are some of the best there ever was or ever will be. Just pure adventure. The only thing I know of that comes close, but in a different way, is Lupin III.

Dukefrukem
01-18-2012, 11:48 AM
;396661']Snowy rules. He was identical to the literary portrayal.

Tintin: "Snowy! Chew through these ropes!"

Snowy: "Rut Roh... (Okay)"

Grouchy
01-18-2012, 07:50 PM
And that's your enormous loss.

Kurosawa Fan
01-18-2012, 07:58 PM
And that's your enormous loss.

That probably convinced him.

Morris Schæffer
01-19-2012, 08:21 AM
For me personally, I'd have to say that I sometimes experience two kinds of mediums in different ways. With regards to the movie, I'm half siding with Spinal which is odd because I love the Tintin books. True, more when I was younger, but I can still read them today and enjoy them a lot. i just feel that when I read the books, the experience is sort of more relaxed, free of expectations. Tintin's lack of identifying characteristics is absolutely not an issue. I may just sit on the can and read tintin, or during dinner when I'd rather not talk to the missus. It's easy, you flick through the pages fairly rapidly. It's a particular experience.

But when I go to the movies, and a new Spielberg movie at that, and one that was hyped way in advance, I hope for more. The magic of the movies to take hold of me for lack of a better description. It's different, it comes with a different mindset. So what didn't bother me while reading Tintin suddenly does become an issue during the movie. Maybe that's just me. But then I've never subscribed to the view that because something is 100% like the book it must obviously, by default, be safe from critique.

Chac Mool
01-22-2012, 01:39 PM

The fact that it's faithful doesn't make it good. I don't judge a film based on canon, but based on its own merits. Can you really argue that the film would have been less good if the characters had more depth?

[ETM]
01-22-2012, 01:53 PM
For a franchise that has so many fans globally, it certainly made sense to stick to the material as much as possible, while focusing more on the visuals and action to satisfy the less demanding blockbuster audiences.

Grouchy
01-22-2012, 07:47 PM
The fact that it's faithful doesn't make it good. I don't judge a film based on canon, but based on its own merits. Can you really argue that the film would have been less good if the characters had more depth?
Well, yes, if they had tried to give Tintin a distinctive personality or some kind of background, it would've sucked.

Morris Schæffer
01-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Well, yes, if they had tried to give Tintin a distinctive personality or some kind of background, it would've sucked.

No, it wouldn't have. It might have.

Grouchy
01-23-2012, 02:27 AM
No, no, it would've sucked.

It would be like making a James Bond movie where he falls in love and fights imperialism.

Yes, I've seen On Her Majesty's Secret Service.