PDA

View Full Version : Your Top 10 Albums of 2007

Duncan
12-18-2007, 01:47 AM
The year's not quite over, but we've had a top 10 films thread forever so I thought I might as well. Also, I only have three more days of high speed internet access before I go home for a month, so I wanted some quick recommendations.

Sven
12-18-2007, 01:54 AM
Was The White Stripes's Icky Thump this year? If so:

1. The White Stripes - Icky Thump

:stuck in the 70s:

Spinal
12-18-2007, 01:59 AM
I don't listen to nearly enough new stuff to have a top ten, but I greatly enjoyed the new albums by Bjork, Feist and PJ Harvey.

Duncan
12-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Mine goes something like:

1. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
2. Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog
3. Holy Fuck - LP
4. Sunset Rubdown - Random Spirit Lover
5. Levon Helm - Dirt Farmer
6. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
7. Bowerbirds - Hymns for a Dark Horse
8. Dirty Projectors - Rise Above
9. Feist - The Reminder
10. Burial - Untrue

Some honourable mentions:
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Grinderman - Grinderman
The National - Boxer
PJ Harvey - White Chalk
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! - Some Loud Thunder
Liars - Liars

Duncan
12-18-2007, 02:04 AM

:stuck in the 70s:

How about Levon Helm's new album? He did lots of stuff in the 70's.

Sven
12-18-2007, 02:08 AM
How about Levon Helm's new album? He did lots of stuff in the 70's.

I saw him on your list and was not aware of any new output of his. Will have to check it out. I do love The Band...

Sycophant
12-18-2007, 02:16 AM
Um...

:has no excuse:

Kurosawa Fan
12-18-2007, 02:24 AM
I'm not informed enough to do a top ten, but some of my favorite albums of this year (at least I think they're this year) are:

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Beirut - The Flying Club Cup
Feist - The Reminder
Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace
Menomena - Friend and Foe
Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
The National - Boxer
Radiohead - In Rainbows
The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Talib Kweli - Eardrum
The White Stripes - Icky Thump

That's 12. Tough shit.

Horbgorbler
12-18-2007, 04:04 AM
In a-no-way-definitive order:

1. Alamaailman Vasarat - Maahan
2. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In Glorious Times
3. Big Blood - Space Gallery Jan 27 2007 (May go higher.)
4. Sir Richard Bishop - While My Guitar Violently Bleeds
5. Boris Malkovsky - Time Petah-Tiqva
6. EAQuartett - Electroacoustiquarett
7. Robert Wyatt - Comicopera
8. Oh No - Dr. No's Oxperiment
9. Rational Diet - Rational Diet
10. Mavis Staples - We'll Never Turn Back

A Sunny Day in Glasgow's Scribble Mural Comic Journal and David Watson's Throats just barely missed the cut.

Ezee E
12-18-2007, 05:02 AM
1. White Stripes - Icky Thump
2. Lily Allen - Alright Still
3. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
4. Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
5. Bruce Springsteen - Magic
6. Eddie Vedder - Into the Wild
7. Radiohead - In Rainbows
8. Common - Finding Forever
9. Wu-Tang Clan - 8 Diagrams

Yeah...

Duncan
12-18-2007, 05:05 AM
In a-no-way-definitive order:

1. Alamaailman Vasarat - Maahan
I checked out a bunch from your list on MySpace. These guys are awesome. The rest...I was not so taken with.

Boner M
12-18-2007, 06:44 AM
I'm pretty behind this year, but here goes...

1. Panda Bear - Person Pitch
2. A Sunny Day in Glasgow - Scribble Mural Comic Journal
3. Radiohead - In Rainbows
4. Stars of the Lid - ...and Their Refinement of the Decline
5. Burial - Untrue
6. Marissa Nadler - Songs III: Bird on the Water
7. Sir Richard Bishop - Polytheistic Fragments
8. Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
9. Percee P - Perseverance
10. No Age - Weirdo Rippers

transmogrifier
12-18-2007, 08:23 AM
Does anyone else but me find it really difficult to rate and rank albums? I guess it's because music is made to be listened to again and again, and as such, I go through periods where I exhaust an album and it suffers it comparison to maybe lesser albums that I listen to less regularly. Not to mention the fact that I hardly ever consciously listen to every song on an album, but rather drift in and out depending on what I'm doing, thinking.

D_Davis
12-18-2007, 02:09 PM
I'll put this list together like I do my top 10 movies.

I just don't listen to enough present day stuff, so this will be a top 10 albums I've heard for the first time this year:

1. Pink Floyd - Amsterdam 69
2. Robin Guthrie and Harold Budd - Before the Day Breaks
3. Herbie Hancock - Man-Child
4. The Aggolites - The Aggrolites
5. Brian Eno and John Cale - Wrong Way Up
6. Clint Mansell - The Fountain
7. Cornelius - Sensuous
8. David Gilmour - On And Island
9. The Daysleepers - Soft Attack
10. A Northern Chorus - Spirit Flags

All in all, I've listened to some amazing music this year.

Ezee E
12-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Does anyone else but me find it really difficult to rate and rank albums? I guess it's because music is made to be listened to again and again, and as such, I go through periods where I exhaust an album and it suffers it comparison to maybe lesser albums that I listen to less regularly. Not to mention the fact that I hardly ever consciously listen to every song on an album, but rather drift in and out depending on what I'm doing, thinking.
I have the same problem. It's rather tough to find out when an album was released because sometimes a popular single doesn't get discovered until four years later, which leads to all their other singles being released, making it seem like a new album.

ledfloyd
12-18-2007, 05:20 PM
hmm... good year for tunes. lets see what i got.

1. Radiohead - In Rainbows
My favorite radiohead album since Kid A. At least. From the first time I heard this album it grabbed me and it hasn't let up yet. I don't think there's a bad track on it. And the price was right.

Weird Fishes/Arpeggi (http://youtube.com/watch?v=-3DrL8pwu1k)

2. I'm Not There - OST
This one might play for you iosos. My favorite artist of all time covered by many of my favorite current day artists. Even Jack Johnson doesn't let down. This is just a string of great covers. The only artist that disappoints in any way at all is Mason Jennings. And he disappoints only in doing anything interesting with the songs. They're perfectly competent renderings of the originals, and who can complain about that?

3. Talib Kweli - Eardrum
Probably my favorite rap album of the year. Talib's rhymes are just so insightful and biting, and the beats aren't lacking either. A return to form after the disappointing Beautiful Struggle. He's still got it.

Everything Man (http://youtube.com/watch?v=663p9YDgECU)

4. Kanye West - Graduation
Second fav rap album of the year. Kanye lacks the social commentary of Talib. But his beats are twice as good. And as far as materialistic egotistical rants go is there anything better than "at the Grammys i went Ultra Travolta/Yeah, that tuxedo was a little Guido/But with my ego?/I could stand there in a speedo/And people'd still look at me like I'm a fuckin hero." His insecurity also makes him relatable to a fat white 22 year old like me who doesn't give a shit if he's wearing Prada or Levi's. This album took awhile to grow on me, but now I think it might be my favorite of his oeuvre.

Champion/Everything I Am (http://youtube.com/watch?v=npnPy2tMNck)

5. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Spoon is the best at what they do. It's as simple as that.

You Got Yr Cherry Bomb (http://youtube.com/watch?v=48My_nyThGw)

I found their first album kinda meh. Nothing after track one really grabbed me. This one on the other hand delivers the goods. "Someone Great" is my favorite song of the year. My friend called this 'hipsco' as in hipster disco. I think it fits. Hopefully the genre develops cause if it's as good as this album I want more.

Someone Great (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kaYsczkWti0)

7. Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
Wilco is my favorite band. They took a step back from the sonic experimentation of 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' and 'A Ghost is Born' with this one. But Jeff is such a great songwriter it's hard to find much to complain about. Who else can make a song about doing dishes and mowing the lawn kick so much ass?

Hate It Here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=yYLaWXjUr8A)

8. Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
These guys are so off the wall they're almost abrasive. But they stop just short of that in some kind of crazy land between music, noise, and nursery rhymes. For some reason they just do it for me. You'd either understand or you wouldn't.

Fireworks (http://youtube.com/watch?v=W6KPDWNAPBU)

9. Gogol Bordello - Super Taranta!
Gypsy punk. This band is fronted by Eugene Hutz (of Everything is Illuminated). He's a complete madman, and it couldn't be more entertaining. This is fun. Almost an Eastern European take on the Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, Pogues sound. If you like any of those bands you might like Gogol Bordello.

Wonderlust King (http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Jv3b0VKec8)

10. Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
Gotta represent a hometown boy when he does good. Trent is off the drugs and he makes his best album since Downward Spiral (some could argue his first good album since Spiral, and they might be right). This was my favorite album for a long time this year. At least until I heard the other 9 albums on this list.

Honorable Mentions
Bright Eyes - Cassadaga. This album has some good songs, but ultimately is not a good album.

Saul Williams - The Rise and Fall of Niggy Tardust. If this whole album was just the cover of Sunday Bloody Sunday on repeat it would be the best thing ever.

Battles - Mirrored. Likewise, if this whole album was 'Atlas' on repeat it'd kick ass.

The White Stripes - Icky Thump. Good, but uneven. And a bit of a letdown after the stellar "Get Behind me Satan."

Patton Oswalt - Werewolves & Lollipops. Funny as hell. But I couldn't justify knocking off any of the others for a comedy album.

Jay Z - American Gangster. This album makes his return after the Black Album less regrettable. Makes it easier to forget Kingdom Come ever happened.

Stuff I haven't listened to enough
Feist's The Reminder, Andrew Bird's Armchair Apocrypha, and Iron & Wine's The Shepherd's Dog are all good from what I've heard, but I haven't given any of them the listens they deserve, and don't feel right putting them on a list yet. I can't accurately judge them in comparison to other albums I've listened to several times. I have to feel Robert Plant & Alison Kraus's Raising Sand produced by T-Bone Burnett and featuring Marc Ribot on guitar is good but I haven't heard it yet. Same goes for Levon Helm's album.

Letdowns
Common - Finding Forever. I listened to this once. The only song I heard multiple times was the single with Lily Allen, that was terrible.

Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger. I'm a bigger fan of Ryan so I gave this a few more chances to sink in. Unfortunately it didn't. It's not bad, there's some great songs. But ultimately it's a return to the Adult Contemporary spirit of 'Gold'. I gave this one to my dad, he loves it.

Kurosawa Fan
12-18-2007, 05:29 PM
I didn't care for Wilco's new disc at all. Big letdown. We agree on Common though. A second listen actually brought out all the flaws. Some of his lyrics are downright terrible.

I'm with you Talib Kweli, Radiohead, and Spoon. I'll have to check out NIN. I kind of gave up on Reznor.

bac0n
12-18-2007, 05:41 PM
A lotta people have LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver on their Top 10s of 2007, but after multiple listens, I think it's merely serviceable, and I don't quite see what the big deal is.

bac0n
12-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Oh, and I heard a track off of Animal Collective's album, and I was instantly in love. I'm definitely gonna need to pick up this one. One of the guys in the band (Panda?) did a solo album, and I heard a track off that, which I liked a lot too.

Raiders
12-18-2007, 05:45 PM
I haven't got a clue how to compile this list. I do know that St. Vincent and PJ Harvey both released albums this year and they were awesome.

Raiders
12-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Oh yeah, Panda Bear's album was great as well.

Derek
12-18-2007, 06:14 PM
A lotta people have LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver on their Top 10s of 2007, but after multiple listens, I think it's merely serviceable, and I don't quite see what the big deal is.

I'm totally with you there. It's grown on me after a few listens, but I think there's far superior electronic albums out there this year. I just don't get what all the fuss is about.

Oh, and I heard a track off of Animal Collective's album, and I was instantly in love. I'm definitely gonna need to pick up this one. One of the guys in the band (Panda?) did a solo album, and I heard a track off that, which I liked a lot too.

Repped! Both albums are great, though I slightly prefer Panda Bear's. Strawberry Jam isn't the easiest Collective album to get into right away, but after 4 or 5 spins, I loved almost every track.

I'll be doing a list for my site, so I'll start a thread w/countdown next week once I'm home for the holidays.

EDIT: And I agree with trans that it's incredibly hard to decide order of preference, since albums I haven't heard for a few months inevitably fall behind the newer great stuff. Year end music lists are inevitably a snapshot of what you think of the year at that moment, which then changes soon after.

EvilShoe
12-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Don't really have a top 10, but I do know Sound of Silver was my fav of the year.

krazed
12-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Hmm.

1. The National - Boxer
2. Panda Bear - Person Pitch
3. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
4. Black Lips - Good, Bad, Not Evil
5. Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
6. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
7. M.I.A. - Kala
8. UGK - Underground Kingz
9. King Khan & His Shrines - What Is?!
10. Pantha du Prince - This Bliss

I probably forgot something.

Llopin
12-18-2007, 08:52 PM
1. Louis Sclavis - l'imparfait des langues
2. Ferocious Eagle - The Sea Anemone Inside of Me is Mighty
3. Thurston Moore - Trees Outside the Academy
4. Bottomless Pit - Hammer of the Gods
5. Electro Group - Good Technology
6. The Bad Plus - Prog!
7. Clouds - Legendary Demo
8. Marnie Stern - In Advance of the Broken Arm
9. Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond
10. Psychedelic Horseshit - Magical Flowers Droned
--------
11. Gowns - Red State
12. Suzanne Vega - Beauty & Crime
13. The Detroit Cobras - Tied & True
14. The Fucking Champs - VI
15. Jozef Van Wissem - Stations of the Cross
16. Toddle - Dawn Praise the World
17. Suishou no Fune - I throw a stone into the endless depths
18. Cheater Slicks - Walk into the Sea
19. Julie Doiron - Woke Myself Up
20. Slagsmålsklubben - Boss for leader!
--------
21. Jackie Carol - Check Check
22. Nisei - Continents
23. Estrategia lo Capto! - Gran Bola de Nieve
24. Clockcleaner - Babylon Rules
25. Neurosis - Given to the Rising
26. Self-evident - s/t
27. Cato Salsa Experience and The Thing with Joe McPhee - Two Bands and a Legend
28. Damon and Naomi - Within These Walls
29. Sapat - Mortise and Tenon
30. Airiel - The Battle of Sealand

Derek
12-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Hmm.

1. The National - Boxer
3. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
4. Black Lips - Good, Bad, Not Evil
5. Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
6. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
7. M.I.A. - Kala
8. UGK - Underground Kingz
9. King Khan & His Shrines - What Is?!
10. Pantha du Prince - This Bliss

I probably forgot something.

No Liars s/t?? :(

EvilShoe
12-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Have you seen them?
Saw them twice this year, and both shows were great. Their stuff actually sounds a lot better live (and I like the albums). Really funny vocalist too.

Derek
12-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Have you seen them?
Saw them twice this year, and both shows were great. Their stuff actually sounds a lot better live (and I like the albums). Really funny vocalist too.

Nope, but I'm seeing them in February with No Age. I've heard they're incredibly loud and energetic live and from what I've seen of videos online, it looks to be the case. I love all their albums, even They Were So Wrong We Drowned, so needless to say I'm psyched to see them. They're definitely among my favorite modern bands.

EvilShoe
12-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Nope, but I'm seeing them in February with No Age. I've heard they're incredibly loud and energetic live and from what I've seen of videos online, it looks to be the case. I love all their albums, even They Were So Wrong We Drowned, so needless to say I'm psyched to see them. They're definitely among my favorite modern bands.
It's true, their energy is what's hard to capture on album.
One (two?) of the few gigs I actually moved at.

They Were Wrong, So We Drowned is such a crazy album. I like it as well.
They played Broken Witch live both times, and it stood out both times as the highlight.

krazed
12-18-2007, 11:43 PM

That would easily make the top 15, I really like that album. This year has just been too good for the musics.

Also, I saw them live with Deerhunter before anyone knew who the hell Deerhunter was and it was one of the loudest shows I've ever been to. I'm also seeing them with No Age in this little club in Denton where I live; I'm pretty pumped. They put on a cool show. Just be sure to warn your friends that it's gonna be realllllll loud. I'm really excited to see how the better new songs translate live.

Drum's Not Dead is one of the best records of the decade, though.

krazed
12-18-2007, 11:45 PM

This is a really awesome, underheard album.

Horbgorbler
12-19-2007, 12:31 AM
1. Louis Sclavis - l'imparfait des langues
2. Ferocious Eagle - The Sea Anemone Inside of Me is Mighty
3. Thurston Moore - Trees Outside the Academy
4. Bottomless Pit - Hammer of the Gods
5. Electro Group - Good Technology
6. The Bad Plus - Prog!
7. Clouds - Legendary Demo
8. Marnie Stern - In Advance of the Broken Arm
9. Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond
--------
11. Gowns - Red State
12. Suzanne Vega - Beauty & Crime
13. The Detroit Cobras - Tied & True
14. The Fucking Champs - VI
15. Jozef Van Wissem - Stations of the Cross
16. Toddle - Dawn Praise the World
17. Suishou no Fune - I throw a stone into the endless depths
18. Cheater Slicks - Walk into the Sea
19. Julie Doiron - Woke Myself Up
20. Slagsmålsklubben - Boss for leader!
--------
21. Jackie Carol - Check Check
22. Nisei - Continents
23. Estrategia lo Capto! - Gran Bola de Nieve
24. Clockcleaner - Babylon Rules
25. Neurosis - Given to the Rising
26. Self-evident - s/t
27. Cato Salsa Experience and The Thing with Joe McPhee - Two Bands and a Legend
28. Damon and Naomi - Within These Walls
29. Sapat - Mortise and Tenon
30. Airiel - The Battle of Sealand

I've heard only four of these and I think I hate you for that. Josef van Wissem is good people, though.

Acapelli
12-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Only gonna count albums, and in no real order

Akron/Family - LoveIsSimple
Marnie Stern - In Advance of the Broken Arm
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
Private - My Secret Lover
Jay-Z - American Gangster
Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
Panda Bear - Person Pitch
M.I.A. - Kala
Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You Destroyer
Gui Boratto - Chromophobia

Probably as close as I can get to a top ten at the moment. Other stuff I liked (that I haven't listened to enough):

The National - Boxer
The Busy Signals - The Busy Signals
The Black Lips - Los Valientes Del Mondo Nuevo
King Khan & the Shrines - What Is?!
Burial - Untrue
Black Moth Super Rainbow - Dandelion Gum
Times New Viking - Present the Paisley Reich
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
San Serac - Professional
Michael Fakesch - Dos
MIA - Bittersuss
Maximo Park - Our Earthly Pleasures
Les Savy Fav - Let's Stay Friends
Keren Ann - Keren Ann
The Ike Reilly Assassination - We Belong to the Staggering Evening
The Go! Team - Proof of Youth
Dondolo - Dondolisme
Aidan Baker - Green and Cold

EvilShoe
12-19-2007, 09:04 AM
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
The National - Boxer
Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?
Kevin Drew - Spirit If...
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Various Artists - I'm Not There (OST)
Liars - s/t

bac0n
12-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Since I bought maybe three albums this year that were actually released this year, I think I'm gonna take The Mighty Davis' lead and list my top ten favorite albums I purchased and/or heard for the first time this year.

10. Air: Pocket Symphony
9. Keane: Under The Iron Sea
8. Franz Ferdinand (self titled)
7. Interpol: Turn On The Bright Lights
6. Ulrich Schnauss: Goodbye
5. I'm Not A Gun: We Think As Instruments
4. Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um (thanks to KF for the recommendation!)
3. Duke Ellington: Money Jungle
2. Marty Robbins: Gunfighter Ballads
1. The Guillemots: Through The Windowpane

Lasse
12-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Slagsmålsklubben

I love that name. :lol:

Private - My Secret Lover

Awesome! Denmark represent! I only listened to the single, but I'll check the entire album out now.

Lasse
12-19-2007, 08:41 PM
One that you ought to know:
1: Kosheen - Damage

And three Danish albums that you won't know:

1: Suspekt - Prima Nocte
2: Natasja - I Danmark Er Jeg Født
3: Volbeat - ’Rock The Rebel / Metal The Devil
4: SupaJan - SupaJan & Hans Gode Ven Esben Har Lavet Det Her Mixtape

Acapelli
12-20-2007, 02:07 AM
Awesome! Denmark represent! I only listened to the single, but I'll check the entire album out now.
Probably the best pop album of the year.

transmogrifier
12-20-2007, 02:12 AM
I've only just heard Justice's Cross, but.......wow. I like. I like a lot.

Derek
12-20-2007, 05:12 AM

Yeah, I really like it as well, but it's so frontloaded. The first 6 tracks are great, then the rest just can't match it. Other than "The Party" though, they're all still solid.

Llopin
12-20-2007, 06:36 PM
This is a really awesome, underheard album.

It's truly groovy, and lives up to its name ("Portals" is one of my very favourite songs from this year).

I've heard only four of these and I think I hate you for that. Josef van Wissem is good people, though.

I saw Van Wissem live a month ago, and I was positively floored by his performance. He combined traditional lute pieces from the 17th century with his own compositions (ambient sound included). Very cathartic, overall.

I love that name. :lol:

I heard it mean "fight club", and it sounds so much awesome in swedish. One of my favourite 8-bit bands, too.

Lasse
12-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Probably the best pop album of the year.

Thanks for the recommendation. :)

I heard it mean "fight club", and it sounds so much awesome in swedish. One of my favourite 8-bit bands, too.

Yeah, it means Fight Club in Swedish and Danish. "8-bit band" sounds interesting. I'll check their stuff out.

Justin
12-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Just now realized my list was in the wrong thread, oops.

1. M.I.A. - Kala
3. of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?
4. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
5. The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism
6. El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
7. Feist - The Reminder
8. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
9. PJ Harvey - White Chalk
10. Radiohead - In Rainbows

Others loved
Justice - Cross
St. Vincent - Marry Me

Others Really Liked
Pharoahe Monch - Desire
The White Stripes - Icky Thump
Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity
Björk - Volta
Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
Interpol - Our Love to Admire
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
Rilo Kiley - Under The Blacklight
Fujiya & Miyagi - Transparent Things
Kanye West - Graduation
Battles - Mirrored
!!! - Myth Takes
Jay-Z - American Gangster
Ghostface - The Big Doe Rehab
Band of Horses - Cease to Begin

origami_mustache
12-29-2007, 12:57 AM

If you really like this I'd also recommend Digitalism's Idealism album and to a lesser extent Simian Mobile Disco's Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release.

Acapelli
12-29-2007, 04:20 AM
If you really like this I'd also recommend Digitalism's Idealism album and to a lesser extent Simian Mobile Disco's Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release.
I prefer Idealism to â€*. Pogo is especially good.

Ivan Drago
12-29-2007, 07:29 PM
Wait...Radiohead came out with a new album??!!

:speeds to Wal-Mart:

megladon8
12-29-2007, 07:44 PM

'Tis only available for download, or for purchase online in an enormous box set with vinyls, CDs, artwork, etc. I think it's like $60.

As for my list of favorite 2007 releases, I imagine it'd look something like this (though I'm not going to bother putting them in order)...

Menomena - "Friend and Foe"
Nine Inch Nails - "Year Zero"
Apparat - "Walls"
Pelican - "City of Echoes"
Radiohead - "In Rainbows"
Young Galaxy - s/t
The Most Serene Republic - "Population"
Do Make Say Think - "You, You're a History in Rust"
The Sea and Cake - "Everybody"
Miracle Fortress - "Five Roses"

Justin
12-30-2007, 03:48 AM
'Tis only available for download, or for purchase online in an enormous box set with vinyls, CDs, artwork, etc. I think it's like $60.

No, it is actually out on CD now. Comes out on the first but we got the green light at FYE to sell it early.

transmogrifier
12-30-2007, 01:04 PM
No, it is actually out on CD now. Comes out on the first but we got the green light at FYE to sell it early.

Yeah, it's been out here on CD in Korea since before Christmas.

Horbgorbler
12-30-2007, 08:07 PM

You're extremely amusing.

EvilShoe
12-31-2007, 07:56 AM
Radiowho?

EvilShoe
12-31-2007, 08:27 AM
Listened to Panda Bear.
Made my list too soon...

origami_mustache
01-01-2008, 10:13 PM
1. Beirut - The Flying Club Cup
2. Animal Collective -Strawberry Jam
3. Patrick Wolf - The Magic Position
4. Battles - Mirrored
5. Murderbot - Ruff In The Bunny Fizness
7. Secret Mommy - Plays
8. Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala
9. Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog
10. Meg Baird - Dear Companion

honorable mentions:
Dan Deacon - Spiderman of the Rings
Panda Bear - Person Pitch
CocoRosie - The Adventures of Ghosthorse and Stillborn
James Blackshaw - The Cloud of Unknowing
Dizzee Rascal - Maths + English

Ivan Drago
01-05-2008, 05:07 PM
You're extremely amusing.

That's how I roll. ;)

Lasse
02-04-2008, 10:00 PM
I listened to some of that Slagsmålsklubben that Llopin recommended. I really most of it. :)

Thirdmango
02-13-2008, 12:52 AM
My brother gave me some Slagsmålsklubben and I was really quite impressed.

Now I wish I had more then a top four, but when it comes to music of this year, I've been a lot less into it as I've had no money, and what money I have had has gone to tv, so hopefully this list can expand at some point, but for now it's only a top 4, though I have other albums but I didn't feel like throwing them into a top list.

4. Ozomatli -- Don't Mess With The Dragon -- Ozomatli has been one of my favorite bands throughout the years and this cd is a very hip and up tempo album. I even heard some radio play which is good for these guys, they deserve it. Not the best album to start with, but it's a good rockin' album.

3. Queens of The Stoneage -- Eva Vulgaris -- QOTSA really has grown up in their past couple of albums and this one they try new things and really score on a lot of it. They have the hard, the soft, the crazy and the mellow.

2. Ween -- La Cucaracha -- Ween is my second favorite band of all time, and this album just makes them another notch up there. They go for such different things which they hadn't done before, such as a Steppenwolf like Jam and an old timey 40s rockabilly tune. This album is among the greats like White Pepper, Quebec and The Mollusk. Lots of different things and all working well together.

1. Nine Inch Nails -- Year Zero -- This album blew my socks off when I first heard it and even now I can't find a bad song on the cd. It's industrial rock at it's best. Reznor does some amazing things with computers to pull of this amazingly rockin' album. Even the cd itself is really cool as it changes when it's heated up. This is the best piece of music when it comes to industrial that I can think of.

megladon8
02-13-2008, 01:41 AM
Glad you loved the NIN album, Thirdmango.

While I love the story, I have to admit I was a little pissed off by it because I was working on a piece of short fiction with many of the same ideas.

Though I'm sure they're not new ideas at all - I was just ticked to find something released in recent popular culture, which would mean I'd probably get law-suited up the wazoo if I tried to have it published.

*le sigh*

D_Davis
02-13-2008, 01:46 AM
2. Ween -- La Cucaracha -- Ween is my second favorite band of all time, and this album just makes them another notch up there. They go for such different things which they hadn't done before, such as a Steppenwolf like Jam and an old timey 40s rockabilly tune. This album is among the greats like White Pepper, Quebec and The Mollusk. Lots of different things and all working well together.

Nice. I don't think it is near the quality of Quebec or The Mollusk - two amazing albums - but La Cucaracha does have a handful of great tracks. It lacks the cohesion of the previously mentioned albums, and is a little to disjointed.

Thirdmango
02-13-2008, 06:36 AM
Nice. I don't think it is near the quality of Quebec or The Mollusk - two amazing albums - but La Cucaracha does have a handful of great tracks. It lacks the cohesion of the previously mentioned albums, and is a little to disjointed.

Oh I do agree whole heartedly with this statement. It is quite disjointed, but I must say, I was blown away by Woman and Man.

D_Davis
02-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Oh I do agree whole heartedly with this statement. It is quite disjointed, but I must say, I was blown away by Woman and Man.

Woman and Man seems like their new Voodoo Lady. I can see them playing longer, and longer versions of this live. One time I saw them they played a nearly 20 minute version of Voodoo Lady, it was awesome.

Wryan
02-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi (http://youtube.com/watch?v=-3DrL8pwu1k)

Heck yeah. Great song and great album.

Someone Great (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kaYsczkWti0)

Haven't heard much LCD but heard OF them plenty. I liked that song well enough.

Hate It Here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=yYLaWXjUr8A)

Yeah, dig Wilco. Great song.

Fireworks (http://youtube.com/watch?v=W6KPDWNAPBU)

Little much for me. But a good sound.

Wonderlust King (http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Jv3b0VKec8)

Dig very much.

Patton Oswalt - Werewolves & Lollipops. Funny as hell. But I couldn't justify knocking off any of the others for a comedy album.

Love this album. "Wow! It doesn't get any better than that!"

Perused some of the artists from this thread. Can't say I "get" Panda Bear. I liked several Patrick Wolf tracks though. I'm 50/50 on Kanye, Queens of the Stone Age. Love NIN. My old roommate is an Avett Brothers fan but I can't listen to em. Guy's voice is so harsh, and not in a "lived-in" kinda way, just in a "Gah! turn something else on" kinda way. Roommate got married recently and used "Swept Away" in the wedding. Nice song, but I just don't like that guy's voice.