PDA

View Full Version : What Bill Murray really said at the end of Lost in Translation

number8
12-13-2007, 09:08 AM
No, this isn't another one of those lame "What do you think he said?' threads.

Yes, it was meant to be ambiguous and no one should know, but Murray did whisper something during the filming. Some chap on YouTube used digital processing to distill and enhance the whisper to find out what Murray actually said.

The answer is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MV7Sym8bIQ). This is no joke, so don't click if you like the mystery intact.

The rest of you, now you know.

Mal
12-13-2007, 09:14 AM
This is ... not really new.

But yeesh... I've been in overload with this movie lately...

good thing I love it so much.

number8
12-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I see now that it's not. What's funny is that I didn't even care, since I don't like the movie much, yet I felt compelled to post this.

Qrazy
12-13-2007, 09:29 AM
No offense to the lovers of the movie, I like it fine, but I also find it hilarious that this whisper has come to be seen as some great fudging metaphor for all the intricacies of the human condition. Yeesh.

Boner M
12-13-2007, 09:52 AM
I'm a fan of the film, but I can't for the life of me understand why people want to 'preserve the mystery' of the film and have it kept a secret. The scene's power lies in Coppola's intention to keep the line private among the characters. The opportunity for the audience to project things should remain no matter if/what was said. At least in my jaded eyes.

lovejuice
12-13-2007, 01:50 PM
a sceptic in me begs to differ. unless the scene's supposed to be different, and murray improvises the whisper on the spot, i see no reason why there should be a mic to pick up this sound. besides, if coppola wants it to be a whisper, shouldn't they record ambience over it anyway?

i'm just being overly sceptic. ;)

Rowland
12-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Um, people were "spoiling" what he said years ago. This is far from being anything new. Anyone who wants to know what he said can find it pretty easily.

I personally don't care. I skimmed over what it was like four years ago. A non-sequitur about umbrellas or something.

number8
12-13-2007, 03:55 PM
A non-sequitur about umbrellas or something.

:) Whaaat?

Rowland
12-13-2007, 03:58 PM
:) Whaaat?See, I don't remember. :lol:

ledfloyd
12-13-2007, 04:01 PM
haha, i wish it was a non sequitor about umbrellas.

i always thought it might've been something like in before sunrise. "i'll meet you back here on this spot in 3 years." or something.

love that scene though. it rules.

eternity
12-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Pretty much what I assumed anyway.

Ezee E
12-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Pretty much what I assumed anyway.
Yeah. Not the exact dialog but it's pretty much right. I'm kinda glad they muted it out.

MacGuffin
12-13-2007, 10:59 PM
This is a genuinely amazing movie, and I think I truly care about it. Many times last year I found myself putting it in and it worked as a sort of spiritual journey. The setting is masterfully developed, as all of the colors of Tokyo look incredible, especially during the night. It really makes me want to go to the Park Hyatt Tokyo one day and look out those windows. I don't know. I can't really relate to the actual situations the characters are going through, but I think I share some of the same feelings they do. While they seem disillusioned, I think they not only find comfort in each other, but the foreign place around them. It's actual escapism.

As for the whisper, well, I don't really care either way, but thanks for posting. It allows me to discuss the film just a little more.

Grouchy
12-14-2007, 02:27 AM
See, now there's one more reason not to ever watch Lost in Translation.

If Sofia didn't want that whisper to be discovered, though, why did she even bother including it as a sound? The ambience was enough. I know the ultimate goal of sound editing is to include EVERYTHING in the soundtrack, but still...

Rowland
12-14-2007, 02:42 AM
If Sofia didn't want that whisper to be discovered, though, why did she even bother including it as a sound? The ambience was enough. I know the ultimate goal of sound editing is to include EVERYTHING in the soundtrack, but still...She wanted us to hear that he was whispering to her, of course. Being right there with them and hearing his muffled voice without making out the message makes it more powerful, I think.

MacGuffin
12-14-2007, 03:08 AM
She wanted us to hear that he was whispering to her, of course. Being right there with them and hearing his muffled voice without making out the message makes it more powerful, I think.

Indeed. And it's not like he was going to say something like, "Dinner, once again, sucked last night", so you kind of had some sort of idea already about what he said. The fact that his voice blends into the Tokyo atmosphere only reassures me that Tokyo is more of a character here than Bob or Charlotte, and if those last few shots of Bob driving away towards the airport with the shots of Tokyo played alongside Just Like Honey isn't beautiful filmmaking, then I don't want to see beautiful filmmaking.

Qrazy
12-14-2007, 03:25 AM
And if those last few shots of Bob driving away towards the airport with the shots of Tokyo played alongside Just Like Honey isn't beautiful filmmaking, then I don't want to see beautiful filmmaking.

Clearly.

MacGuffin
12-14-2007, 03:27 AM
Clearly.

You're so witty, it's hard to actually dislike you.

Qrazy
12-14-2007, 04:06 AM
You're so witty, it's hard to actually dislike you.

Take my chiding with many a grain of salt, for it is not my intention that my cynical stew should scald, but that those who hunger may draw nourishment from it's bitter broth.

Mysterious Dude
12-14-2007, 04:10 AM
I didn't find that very convincing.

I still think he says, "...go to him, tell him that you love him, okay?"

MadMan
12-14-2007, 05:49 AM
See, now there's one more reason not to ever watch Lost in TranslationHeh, same here. That and the fact that I just haven't bothered to getting around to seeing it. Its not a film I'm in a rush to view. There are others far more pressing for my attention and such.

KK2.0
12-14-2007, 03:51 PM
that was cute, but it doesn't matter if it's right or wrong since it works better when you don't know.

lovejuice
12-14-2007, 11:48 PM
so is the fact that this becomes a "news" on rt a mere coincident or means an rt power-that-be is a match-cut regular?

number8
12-15-2007, 12:21 AM
so is the fact that this becomes a "news" on rt a mere coincident or means an rt power-that-be is a match-cut regular?

It's been posted all over the movie blogosphere. That's how I found it. RT News is always a few days late of the game.

Izzy Black
12-15-2007, 12:23 AM

It was posted on RT forums as well. It could have been taken from the forums, but either way, a blogger posted it.