PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Riddick Project (David Twohy)

megladon8
08-26-2008, 12:11 PM
From MTV.com:

Four years after his character Richard B. Riddick last graced the silver screen, and some years after telling reporters that there would be another Riddick film in his future, Vin Diesel told MTV News that he no longer thinks there will one day be a Riddick sequel.

He now thinks there will be two.

“David Twowy right now is writing the scripts. The only question is whether we take a page from the ‘Lord of the Rings’ guys and try to shoot the two chapters at the same time. There are two more in mind,” he said of Riddick, the Furyan warrior first introduced in the 2000 film “Pitch Black.”

The full article can be read here. (http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/08/25/vin-diesel-promises-two-more-riddick-sequels/)

I'm really looking forward to this.

Not only is Riddick one of the best sci-fi characters of the last several years, but I really like the films' universe as well.

I hope that Diesel's aspirations to include "high-sci-fi" concepts can come true. He seems like an intelligent guy, and I like that he has no shame over being a total dork.

EyesWideOpen
08-26-2008, 12:23 PM
It'll never happen.

megladon8
08-26-2008, 12:24 PM
It'll never happen.

Why do you say that?

Winston*
08-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Why do you say that?

Because the only people that desire another Chronicle of Riddick are you and Vin Diesel?

EyesWideOpen
08-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Because the only people that desire another Chronicle of Riddick are you and Vin Diesel?

Exactly. I would watch another Riddick movie but i'm not excited for one and neither is the american public and studios know this. Unless Diesel and Twohy plan on raising the 100 million or so to produce a big scifi film on their own this series is going nowhere.

megladon8
08-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Why does it have to be big?

Pitch Black was easliy the better of the two movies, and it was a pretty small film.

Besides, I'm far from being the only one who wants another entry in the series, as discussion in the Fast and Furious thread shows.

D_Davis
08-26-2008, 01:24 PM

And me.

This is awesome news.

Lasse
08-26-2008, 02:11 PM
I'll watch them if they're more Pitch Black and less Chronicles of Riddick.

D_Davis
08-26-2008, 02:27 PM
I think that CoR is one of the most interesting and ambitious failures I've ever seen; a visionary SF epic that failed under the weight of its own lofty ambitions. I'd rather watch it than probably 95+% of all the other Hollywood SF crap. While it is incredibly flawed, it contains some amazing moments, and it has a ton of passion. I can totally see the diamond in it, and I would love to see the CoR trilogy finished.

Ezee E
08-26-2008, 02:48 PM
I think that CoR is one of the most interesting and ambitious failures I've ever seen; a visionary SF epic that failed under the weight of its own lofty ambitions. I'd rather watch it than probably 95+% of all the other Hollywood SF crap. While it is incredibly flawed, it contains some amazing moments, and it has a ton of passion. I can totally see the diamond in it, and I would love to see the CoR trilogy finished.
Which moments in the movie do this for you? I don't really remember anything about this except for a neat fight at the end, and a potentially great prison escape that was ruined by horrible editing.

D_Davis
08-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Which moments in the movie do this for you? I don't really remember anything about this except for a neat fight at the end, and a potentially great prison escape that was ruined by horrible editing.

Let me rewatch it and get back to you. It's been far too long for me to remember many details.

But lets see what I remember...

I do really like the arrival of the ships; really the whole opening set-up. Some of the architecture is amazing. The world feels lived in, like it had existed before the film was made. It has a real weight to it.

The prison escape looks great, and while the editing is less than stellar, it does remain suspenseful. There are also a few movements I like from within the prison.

I need to see it again to refresh my memory.

My main problem with it is that it is structured all wrong. The narrative never really flows in any natural way.

bac0n
08-26-2008, 03:12 PM
I think D_Davis put The Chronicles of Riddick very succinctly. It's not a great movie, but an enjoyable one. Twohy really tried hard to create a universe and mythos in which the story lived, not always with success, but you could see the effort he put in. And some of the set designs are breathtaking.

I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this one.

Rowland
08-26-2008, 03:14 PM
ruined by horrible editing.This applies to most of the movie, but there was plenty else there to ruin it too.

Skitch
08-26-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm glad a couple people here think this is great news...I was afraid I was the only one.

Grouchy
08-26-2008, 04:57 PM
I'd watch another Riddick too.

D_Davis
08-26-2008, 04:59 PM
The character/franchise was also responsible for the best video game ever based on a movie. The game is actually better than both movies.

number8
08-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Count me in. I liked Chronicles of Riddick a pretty good deal.

Morris Schæffer
08-26-2008, 05:27 PM
It'd be cool if they like the character and universe enough to do a few more regardless of whether it'll make money at the Box Office. The bottom line has ruined many a potentially great flick including, or so it would appear, Kassel's Babylon AD flick. But yeah, I doubt these Riddick sequels will be mega-budgeted.

Ezee E
08-26-2008, 05:33 PM
The character/franchise was also responsible for the best video game ever based on a movie. The game is actually better than both movies.
I'll get behind this. Although I think it would be awesome to involve the Pitch Black synopsis into a video game form.

Wryan
08-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Excuse meh while I stroll through here.

Dukefrukem
08-26-2008, 06:12 PM
holy shit yes.

The Riddick character is way too cool to go out how it did. Amazing news.

Teh Sausage
08-28-2008, 02:12 PM
While I don't care much for either of the two Riddick films, it was nice to see an SF franchise completely set in an alien environment and isn't a remake or based on a comic, TV show, amusement park ride, etc. Like The Fifth Element, they may be very flawed but there's a distinctive personality to them, which make the films unsurprisingly fascinating for many people. I think I'd rather watch them than most Hollywood sci-fi movies as well.

Dead & Messed Up
08-28-2008, 06:40 PM
I'll pass. I thought Pitch Black was kinda bland, and Chronicles of Riddick was one of the biggest messes I'd ever seen, a catastrophe of near Southlandian proportions.

Skitch
08-28-2008, 08:37 PM
I'll pass. I thought Pitch Black was kinda bland, and Chronicles of Riddick was one of the biggest messes I'd ever seen, a catastrophe of near Southlandian proportions.

*slap*

Dead & Messed Up
08-30-2008, 12:31 AM
*slap*

::rubs face::

He protects himself from the onslaught of sun-death-rays by pouring a bottle of water on his head.

Dukefrukem
08-03-2009, 04:15 PM
good news

The third movie would be more modestly-scaled and it would probably feel more like 'Pitch Black' then 'Chronicles'," he continued. "It will always be Riddick-centric. If the question is whether it will be more like the first one than the second one, the difference is that yeah, you can sell it on its creatures and say 'This is a creature fest and we're going to go out as us vs. the creatures' but that's like a lot of different movies. However, the hallmark of a good movie, and I think 'Pitch Black' is a good movie, is that even if you took the creatures out of the picture, you'd still have some pretty interesting character dynamics going on within that group, and it's almost like you can tell the same story without the creature or substitute some other external pressure on the group, because there were internal pressures as well that were interesting. So was it really a creature feature? It had the hallmarks of it, the trappings of a creature movie, but it also had pretty good characters

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=11267

Kurosawa Fan
08-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Is this and Fast and Furious the only think Vin has going for him anymore? He's just going to ride these out to exhaustion and then fade away?

Skitch
08-03-2009, 05:02 PM
::rubs face::

He protects himself from the onslaught of sun-death-rays by pouring a bottle of water on his head.

It was alien water. True story.

Ezee E
08-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Speaking of Twohy, I didn't even know he had a movie in production, much less out in theaters next week. With Jovovich!

I'm in.

[ETM]
08-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Twohy needs to let actual writers help him flesh out his ideas. Chronicles of Riddick had potential that was nearly destroyed by flaws that could have been avoided, ranging from basic plot and dialogue, to casting and production design. I have only seen the Extended Edition, and it is bewildering how little is explained even in that. I shudder at the thought of what the theatrical cut looks like.

I'd be interested in more, but please David - hire someone to write them for you, please?

Dukefrukem
12-03-2009, 02:07 PM
The Riddick team is in New Zealand location scouting already... that's exciting.

Vin's Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/VinDiesel?ref=search&sid=1800116.2880838780..1&v=wall)

KK2.0
12-03-2009, 05:45 PM
I enjoyed the hell out of Pitch Black, Chronicles had interesting ideas, but it looked like neither Twohy nor Diesel knew how to put them on film. Seemed like something far too ambitious for them. But i'd totally give them another chance on a new film.

What's the difference between the director and theatrical cuts of COR?

Skitch
12-03-2009, 10:18 PM
What's the difference between the director and theatrical cuts of COR?

Doubt you'll agree, but I thought the DC was much better.

megladon8
12-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Good to hear this is happening.

I really like Riddick and the universe he exists in.

Skitch
12-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Good to hear this is happening.

I really like Riddick and the universe he exists in.

Hear, hear! Me too!

But I am an untrustworthy sci-fi whore, so...

Dukefrukem
12-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Doubt you'll agree, but I thought the DC was much better.

I've never seen the DC either. What's different?

Skitch
12-04-2009, 03:46 PM
I've never seen the DC either. What's different?

Lot more fleshing out, more action...all around better.

KK2.0
12-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Now i want to rent the DC to compare.

Skitch
02-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Third Riddick Pic Is Officially On
Vin Diesel’s patience pays off…
Source: Variety
Third Riddick Pic Is Officially On

While Vin Diesel and David Twohy have been banging the Riddick drum constantly in the years since The Chronicles Of Riddick, the idea of a third film had largely existed as plans and rumours, with no firm commitment from Universal. But following Diesel’s cryptic hints about scouting trips last December, the studio has now announced that it will back a new outing for the gruff anti-hero.

The reason for the apparent change of heart? There are several: firstly, Twohy’s big decision to scale back and shave down the scale of the film helped make the prospect much more attractive to executives, and the focus will be much more on Riddick himself, with a feel reminiscent of Pitch Black rather than the misguided Chronicles.

Still, that last trip to the well did bring in $116 million and launched a video game line, so there’s clearly some life in the character yet. The new movie – with Twohy naturally back on writing and directing duty – is simply called Riddick and is most likely to shoot once Diesel is finished on the fifth Fast & Furious film.

As for the plot? We’ll have to wait and see, apparently. Just stay away from the Underverse, eh, lads?

-James White

Sounds good to me.

bac0n
02-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Awesome. I loved the first two.

number8
02-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Chronicles of Riddick is underrated.

Dukefrukem
04-09-2010, 12:47 PM
concept art posted by Vin on his FB page

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs426.ash1/23567_421097148312_89562268312 _4882128_513681_n.jpg

[ETM]
04-09-2010, 01:45 PM

It is both under- and overrated, depending on who you talk to. I've seldom met someone who has a balanced opinion.:lol:

Dukefrukem
04-09-2010, 02:28 PM
;254093']It is both under- and overrated, depending on who you talk to. I've seldom met someone who has a balanced opinion.:lol:

It's underrated in continuing the Riddick story/history... overrated when you factor in the retarded story and marathon run across the planet...

Best scene in the movie is this;

g3x2He3-288

Dukefrukem
04-09-2010, 02:30 PM
my apologies... I forgot about this scene...

YCPqvW8ycEQ

D_Davis
04-09-2010, 02:35 PM

Yep. It's totally flawed, but also very interesting. There is a fantastic film hiding in that footage somewhere.

Definitely looking forward to a third one.

megladon8
04-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Said it perfectly, D. The Chronicles of Riddick straddles the line between intelligent sci-fi and mindless action space opera. It's deeply flawed, but there's greatness in there.

Can't wait for the third movie.

Dukefrukem
04-13-2010, 12:45 PM
The first script review appeared online over at Coming Attractions for David Twohy's forthcoming Pitch Black sequel, which reveals an R-rating and a new title: The Chronicles of Riddick: Dead Man Stalking. It's a "hard R script -- it's full of death action and peppered with nasty, filthy language," writes the site. You can click over to read the review. The story features the character Riddick (Vin Diesel) -- the most wanted man in the galaxy -- left for dead on a barren alien planet, dealing with "trisons" (three-legged bisons) and "mud demons." He must then contend with two squads of bounty hunters, one of which ride rockets called jetcycles.

meh... dont like the title

[ETM]
04-13-2010, 04:06 PM
The title has almost zero chance of making it.

Morris Schæffer
05-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Plot?!

Betrayed by his own kind and left for dead on a desolate planet, Riddick (Diesel) fights for survival against alien predators and becomes more powerful and dangerous than ever before. Soon bounty hunters from throughout the galaxy descend on Riddick only to find themselves pawns in his greater scheme for revenge. With his enemies right where he wants them, Riddick unleashes a vicious attack of vengeance before returning to his home planet of Furya to save it from destruction.

number8
05-11-2010, 01:12 PM
That's like 3 different plots.

Dead & Messed Up
05-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Doesn't seem like a story so much as a bunch of stuff that happens.

Rowland
05-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Doesn't seem like a story so much as a bunch of stuff that happens.That's how I remember the second one being as well. Not that I'm necessarily opposed to such a thing, though I liked the first one whereas the second just blew. Twohy's debut film, The Arrival, is still my favorite of his.

KK2.0
05-11-2010, 09:34 PM
The movie is called only "Riddick" now it seems.

That's how I remember the second one being as well. Not that I'm necessarily opposed to such a thing, though I liked the first one whereas the second just blew.

Agreed, i'm cautiously optimistic for the next one.

Dukefrukem
12-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Weird.

"So the director of Riddick, my partner on COR since the beginning, DT... has a new challenge in store. He wants me to have 3 different body looks for this next chapter. There is the DiNorscio type, the Dom type, and the lean Furyan type... but all in the same movie, haha...

TGM
12-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Huh, well I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for this. I loved the first two (the second is especially underrated), and I've been saying for years that this series deserves another sequel.

megladon8
12-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I don't get it.

Does this mean like Vin's actual body at three different sizes? Like, work out like a dog for 6 months, shoot some scenes as super-pumped Vin. Then lose a bunch of weight, shoot some scenes as skinny Vin.

Or is this a costume/CGI thing?

bac0n
12-30-2010, 12:30 PM
My first thought is there will be flashback scenes to Riddick in happier times.

transmogrifier
12-31-2010, 02:45 AM

Yes.

megladon8
12-31-2010, 04:10 AM
Chronicles of Riddick is like a slightly modernized version of the '80s sci-fi and fantasy epics like Conan and The Sword and the Sorcerer.

Which I think is exactly what they were going for. Diesel himself has often said that Riddick was meant to be "Conan in space".

Dukefrukem
03-07-2011, 05:34 PM
There's a video on FB explaining the pre-production - they want it to be R-Rated like Pitch Black.

The movie itself is gonna be a lot like 'Pitch Black' because of the money involved," says Twohy speaking of keeping the budget low. "We want to maintain our R-rating at any cost, and it's cost us a lot." [The R-rating] "is a big deal," Diesel adds. "We're committed to going R." The only way to do a new Riddick film is to make it for genre fans, and that means do it right -- with extra blood! Watch the entire video inside.

"Betrayed by his own kind and left for dead on a desolate planet, Riddick (Diesel) fights for survival against alien predators and becomes more powerful and dangerous than ever before. Soon bounty hunters from throughout the galaxy descend on Riddick only to find themselves pawns in his greater scheme for revenge. With his enemies right where he wants them, Riddick unleashes a vicious attack of vengeance before returning to his home planet of Furya to save it from destruction."

megladon8
03-07-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm really looking forward to this.

The Riddick universe is awesome.

MadMan
03-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Twohy's debut film, The Arrival, is still my favorite of his.Having seen it this year, I agree.

I prefer Pitch Black to Chronicles of Riddick, but despite it being somewhat messy Riddick was still an entertaining action/sci-fi film. Whether or not a 3rd movie is a good idea remains to be seen.

megladon8
03-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Something I initially disliked but have grown to love about The Chronicles of Riddick is how they really went all-the-way in making Riddick and his universe be, basically, Conan in space.

Hell, that last shot of Riddick sitting on the throne looking all benevolent is like, lifted directly from Conan lore.

Skitch
05-25-2011, 01:14 PM
Some news for RIDDICK fans -- it sounds like the goggled intergalactic badass is finally on his way back.

Alas, there's a caveat, as smooth-skulled star Vin Diesel explains on his wildly popular Facebook page:

D T [David Twohy] the writer/director just landed in New York with the good news. We can start filming this summer. However, there is a catch... in order for us to make a true R rated film, I must work for scale upfront. Not unlike the "Find me Guilty" experience (which I wouldn't have changed for the world)...

Money is always second to art, integrity and spirit... but the real issue is deeper. Can I suspend my life, to momentarily venture to that dark place... called Riddick.

Now, I need to hear from Our collective... you.

An R-rated Riddick adventure, and all we have to do is get the Vin-man to get in the headspace and work cheap (and likely figure out a sweet backend deal)? Seems like a bargain! For us, anyway...

Several thousand of Diesel's nearly 25 million followers have already offered encouragement, so let's hope his Furyan side is itching to get back to the killin'.

The third movie (tentatively just called RIDDICK) will dial things down after the enjoyably bombastic CHRONICLES, and finds our apathetic anti-hero struggling to survive against indigenous lifeforms and some persistent mercs on a barren alien planet, before heading to his homeworld for final retribution.

number8
05-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Motherfucker, your last movie was the top grossing movie in the world a couple of weeks back, and you already have two sequels of it guaranteed. Work for scale.

Raiders
05-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Motherfucker, your last movie was the top grossing movie in the world a couple of weeks back, and you already have two sequels of it guaranteed. Work for scale.

Nah dude, he said that was second to his art. Respek.

Dukefrukem
05-25-2011, 04:18 PM

Are you referring to two Riddick movies or two more Fast movies?

TGM
05-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Are you referring to two Riddick movies or two more Fast movies?

Most likely the Fast movies. It doesn't even look at this point like one Riddick is necessarily a sure thing, let alone two.

Dukefrukem
05-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Most likely the Fast movies. It doesn't even look at this point like one Riddick is necessarily a sure thing, let alone two.

The plan to get the Riddick franchise going involves two scripts. (See OP) I just dind't know if both would be guaranteed. I hadn't heard of a 7th FAST movie yet. That's why I was confused on whether or not I missed something.

Henry Gale
05-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Honestly, if the choice is between actually making you've been talking about for almost ten years now or no movie at all, take the option that actually gives you work outside of the Fast & Furious movies, pay cut or not.

But this is also the guy that reportedly turned down $20 million for the second F&F movie, so I can't say I understand his choices.

TGM
05-25-2011, 09:45 PM
But this is also the guy that reportedly turned down $20 million for the second F&F movie, so I can't say I understand his choices.

I think, at one point, he just didn't wanna be the guy who just churns out sequel after sequel. Hence turning down Fast 2, as well as the second XXX movie. Lack of any real success outside of his key franchises has likely played a role in changing his mind on that stance as of late.

Dukefrukem
05-26-2011, 01:46 AM
I think, at one point, he just didn't wanna be the guy who just churns out sequel after sequel. Hence turning down Fast 2, as well as the second XXX movie. Lack of any real success outside of his key franchises has likely played a role in changing his mind on that stance as of late.

But yet, he wants to return to the XXX franchise too? (http://collider.com/vin-diesel-and-director-rob-cohen-will-return-for-3d-xxx/21104/)

megladon8
05-26-2011, 03:25 AM
I really like Vin Diesel, despite his lack of range.

He, like Dwayne Johnson, could really be a big action movie star. He's charismatic, has created quite an iconic character in Riddick, and he's still in great shape to keep making these movies.

Dukefrukem
06-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Sounds like Vin got over the money issue, but it sound like they'll begin shooting any time soon.

Twohy implies we might actually be past that point: "The hurdles seem to be dropping. The final turn is being rounded. The finish line (actually a starting line) seems closer than ever," he explains on his blog. He continues teasing that the franchise might actually be expanding, "I had some good face-time with Vin in NYC. We talked at length about where we go from here about how to travel to all the places in the RIDDICK universe that needed travelling to and we think we know have the Master Map. Well keep it tucked tightly in our breast pocket for now, but its enough to say that, if we can pull it all off, youll have spent a good 15 years with us."

Dukefrukem
07-19-2011, 06:38 PM
"Bad Lands"

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/Dukefrukem/riddick.png

Dukefrukem
09-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Karl Urban will reprise his role of "Vaako,"

Dukefrukem
10-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Riddick 3 will be R-rated and Riddick Necro-Armor Design in the spoiler

http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/3910/original/303830_10150439781503313_89562 268312_9810816_1888187610_n.jp g?1318886665

megladon8
10-18-2011, 04:33 PM
I so want this to be a good movie but I am being very cautious. I was very disappointed with The Chronicles of Riddick (though repeat viewings warmed me up to it a bit).

I will be going into this expecting more Chronicles and less Pitch Black.

Dukefrukem
10-18-2011, 04:34 PM
If Twohy is given a small budget he can make it work. If not, it will be a lot of crap like we saw. Chronicles is still a favorite of mine. Love the anime too.

megladon8
10-18-2011, 04:37 PM
If Twohy is given a small budget he can make it work. If not, it will be a lot of crap like we saw. Chronicles is still a favorite of mine. Love the anime too.

Yeah, he really seems perplexed by how to handle any kind of large budget.

I mean, a big-budget Riddick movie that rocks is something I'd love to have. But Twohy seems to believe that "more is more" - cram lots of crazy effects and stuff in, and you have a great movie!

If he's forced to focus on the character of Riddick again, and not just Vin Diesel killing fools, maybe we'll get something good.

TGM
10-18-2011, 10:33 PM
I will be going into this expecting more Chronicles and less Pitch Black.

This would be more than fine by me. I enjoyed Chronicles a hell of a lot more than Pitch Black.

Edit: BTW, which version did you see? Theatrical or Director's Cut? Because I thought the theatrical version was just okay, but the DC fixed most of the movie's issues and was much more enjoyable.

[ETM]
10-18-2011, 11:05 PM
I'm sure it was mentioned, but I just realized that Colm Feore got to play the evil ruler of a malicious alien empire on two different movie franchises. That's gotta be a first.

Skitch
10-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Edit: BTW, which version did you see? Theatrical or Director's Cut? Because I thought the theatrical version was just okay, but the DC fixed most of the movie's issues and was much more enjoyable.

Agreed.

[ETM]
11-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Third Riddick film back in business, Katee Sackhoff gets a role. (http://movies.ign.com/articles/121/1213490p1.html)

megladon8
11-29-2011, 08:26 PM
You know, I think Dark Fury was better than Chronicles of Riddick.

It was a pretty darn good little animated short.

Dukefrukem
01-22-2012, 04:14 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/5079/original/riddickpic.jpg?1327076947

[ETM]
01-22-2012, 04:23 PM
That looks like glass armor from Skyrim.

Irish
01-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Is that a trick of the light or is he actually wearing some kind of cape?

TGM
01-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Looks like a cape to me, too.

[ETM]
01-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Heh. "Supermaaaaan."

Dukefrukem
01-30-2012, 04:23 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/5295/original/rid.jpg?1327941745

Morris Schæffer
02-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Details of part three of the, ahem, groundbreaking saga emerge.

Universal Pictures, One Race Films and Radar Pictures announced today that principal photography has begun on the action-driven, sci-fi thriller Riddick. The shoot will take place in Montreal.

The latest chapter of the groundbreaking saga that began with 2000's hit sci-fi film Pitch Black and 2004's The Chronicles of Riddick reunites writer/director David Twohy (A Perfect Getaway, The Fugitive) and star Vin Diesel (the Fast and Furious franchise, xXx). Diesel reprises his role as the antihero Riddick, a dangerous, escaped convict wanted by every bounty hunter in the known galaxy.

The infamous Riddick has been left for dead on a sun-scorched planet that appears to be lifeless. Soon, however, he finds himself fighting for survival against alien predators more lethal than any human he's encountered. The only way off is for Riddick to activate an emergency beacon and alert mercenaries who rapidly descend to the planet in search of their bounty.

The first ship to arrive carries a new breed of merc, more lethal and violent, while the second is captained by a man whose pursuit of Riddick is more personal. With time running out and a storm on the horizon that no one could survive, his hunters won't leave the planet without Riddick's head as their trophy.

Riddick also sees the return of Karl Urban (Star Trek, The Bourne Supremacy) as Vaako and introduces to the series Jordi Molla (Bad Boys II, Colombiana) as Santana, the arrogant captain of the mercenary ship; Matt Nable (Killer Elite) as Boss Johns, a man looking for answers; Katee Sackhoff (TV's Battlestar Galactica) as the Nordic mercenary Dahl; and Bokeem Woodbine (upcoming Total Recall) as bounty hunter Moss. Rounding out the cast are Dave Bautista (The Scorpion King 3: Battle for Redemption), Conrad Pla (Immortals), Raoul Trujillo (Apocalypto), Nolan Funk (TV's Aliens in America) and two-time Grammy Award-nominated singer Keri Hilson.

The film is produced by Vin Diesel (upcoming Fast & Furious 6, Fast Five) and executive produced by Samantha Vincent (Fast Five, Fast & Furious) for One Race Films. Ted Field (The Last Samurai, Pitch Black) produces for Radar Pictures, while Mike Drake (Dream House, A Nightmare on Elm Street) also executive produces.

Twohy is joined on the film by a talented behind-the-scenes team, including director of photography David Eggby (Pitch Black, Mad Max), production designer Joseph Nemec III (A Perfect Getaway, The Hills Have Eyes, Terminator 2: Judgment Day) and editor Tracy Hall (Limitless, A Perfect Getaway, The Flock).

The Riddick franchise has also produced two popular video games: The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena and The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. As well, Universal Studios Home Entertainment has released the anime DVD The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury.

Riddick, which is shooting in Montreal, Canada, is a One Race Films production. The film will be released by Universal Pictures in the U.S., and Lionsgate is handling international sales.

Skitch
02-04-2012, 01:15 AM
This is giving me a hard on to rewatch the first two and animated thing.

Morris Schæffer
02-05-2012, 05:30 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/5411/original/RiddickValorBig.jpeg?132841940 8

megladon8
02-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Black face Riddick?

Not cool, Vin.

Rowland
02-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Looks more like Martin Sheen Circa Apocalypse Now face, which isn't so cool either.

megladon8
02-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Looks more like Martin Sheen Circa Apocalypse Now face, which isn't so cool either.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's intentional. It's an oft-mimicked shot.

Dukefrukem
02-26-2012, 10:23 PM
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/430463_10150722006573313_89562 268312_10806767_1208833757_n.j pg

Dukefrukem
03-16-2012, 08:07 PM
http://blastr.com/assets_c/2012/03/KateeRiddick031612-thumb-550x825-86457.jpg

Ezee E
03-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Looks like Man Jovovich.

[ETM]
03-16-2012, 10:31 PM
You did not just diss the Sackhoff.

number8
03-17-2012, 03:01 AM
Mills Jovocich can only dream of being as hot as Katie Sackhoff.

Dukefrukem
04-05-2012, 06:16 PM
http://davidtwohy.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/2419_d015_00351_crop.jpg

megladon8
04-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Second from left looks about 15.

Dukefrukem
05-08-2012, 02:39 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/6924/original/528929_10150926731218313_89562 268312_11371638_1965482977_n.j pg?1336484453

[ETM]
05-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Probably took it off a dead Giant in Skyrim.

Dukefrukem
05-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Is it just me, or does he still look fat?

megladon8
05-09-2012, 05:15 PM
It's just you.

The dude's 45. He's in pretty damn good shape.

D_Davis
05-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Mills Jovocich can only dream of being as hot as Katie Sackhoff.

Thank you.

Dukefrukem
06-28-2012, 08:15 PM
First cut of Riddick is finished.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/600167_10151095901553313_74462 1050_n.jpg

Looks a lot like the concept art (http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/Dukefrukem/riddick.png).

Ivan Drago
06-29-2012, 01:12 AM
Looks awesome!

Dukefrukem
12-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Sept. 6, 2013. Release

number8
02-23-2013, 12:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Iz6bTsA.jpg

Lasse
02-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Game of Thrones vs. Riddick?

Dukefrukem
02-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Looks a little different from the ending of the 2nd movie.

http://www.conspirazzi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/riddick/throne.jpg

megladon8
02-25-2013, 06:29 PM
I really want this to be great.

The character, universe and Diesel deserve it.

Dukefrukem
02-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Are we getting a trailer soon or what? Let's go with this.

Skitch
03-22-2013, 10:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-s_9ADX7Gw&feature=player_embedded

Yes.

Dukefrukem
03-25-2013, 11:46 AM
So it's a quasi-monster movie again? Hmm.

number8
05-15-2013, 07:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded& v=tDxDEjDMreA

Dude yes.

Skitch
05-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Yes yes.

Dukefrukem
05-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Yes Oh fuck yes .

Morris Schæffer
05-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Possibly.

Dukefrukem
07-01-2013, 04:38 PM
http://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2013/merrick/riddick-key-art_large.jpg

Morris Schæffer
07-01-2013, 05:18 PM
I somehow get the feeling folks are far too excited for this one. I mean, I would like for it to be really cool and engaging, but I've a feeling it'll be decent.

bac0n
07-01-2013, 10:47 PM
I'm not going apeshit with anticipation, but The Chronicles of Riddick was a film that I went into with very low expectations (the trailers made it out to look horrendous) and wound up enjoying it a great deal, and it holds up to repeat viewings quite well i might add.

With that, I'm looking forward to this with reasonably high hopes for the time being, until bad news forces me to tone them down.

Dukefrukem
07-29-2013, 11:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdP2IWkFV7k

Gamblor
08-28-2013, 02:31 PM
A few clips: http://www.soundonsight.org/watch-three-clips-from-david-twohy-and-vin-diesels-third-riddick-film/

Gamblor
09-04-2013, 02:54 PM
The film is apparently a wee bit misogynistic and homophobic: http://www.empireonline.com/empireblogs/empire-states/post/p1399

Dukefrukem
09-04-2013, 03:37 PM
I stopped reading after:

There’s only one returning character here, aside from a brief Karl Urban cameo as Vaako

:(

Dukefrukem
09-04-2013, 03:41 PM
I do suspect that there's a wee bit of an agenda here by Mrs Helen O'Hara.

Kurosawa Fan
09-04-2013, 03:45 PM
I do suspect that there's a wee bit of an agenda here by Mrs Helen O'Hara.

I would suspect her agenda is to bring an end to misogyny, especially in sci-fi films.

number8
09-04-2013, 03:56 PM
I'm impressed you managed to come into that conclusion from the two introductory paragraphs before you stopped reading.

Dukefrukem
09-04-2013, 03:58 PM
I would suspect her agenda is to bring an end to misogyny, especially in sci-fi films.

Oh come on. By this logic Star Wars fails that test (which is the first time I've heard of it) because there's two NAMED female characters, Luke's Aunt and Leia, who never talk to each other. Do I think Lucas intended for this? No. Do you think Star Wars is misogynistic?

number8
09-04-2013, 04:01 PM
...The Bechdel test? That's not even mentioned until the last paragraph, and barely related to the points of the article.

You're also grossly misunderstanding the Bechdel test. It's not to measure the sexism in individual films. It's accumulative.

Dukefrukem
09-04-2013, 04:01 PM
I'm impressed you managed to come into that conclusion from the two introductory paragraphs before you stopped reading.

I read two articles she linked to as well; Too many dicks on the Enterpris & tell student screenwriters not to write films that pass the Bechdel test

Dukefrukem
09-04-2013, 04:04 PM
...The Bechdel test? That's not even mentioned until the last paragraph, and barely related to the points of the article.

You're also grossly misunderstanding the Bechdel test. It's not to measure the sexism in individual films. It's accumulative.

Of the genre?

Raiders
09-04-2013, 04:08 PM
I can make no observation on the film, but movies and science fiction are two areas still largely male-dominated, written by and still largely for men. Her argument is overall accurate as it relates to the industry and to the genre, but to single out this film which seems from her description pretty much what you would expect (I also imagine if I were to poll the recent gender breakdown of bounty hunters, it is largely male-dominant) seems misguided and she comes off with a clear agenda she probably had before even viewing the film.

I will say though, if the dialogue quotes she pulls are accurate... yeesh.

number8
09-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Of the genre?

Or the industry. You apply it to a particular group of movies to see how it statistically does with its depiction of women. It's not about misogyny, it's about gender representation.

It's also the EASIEST test in the world for a movie to pass. Literally have one scene featuring two female characters talking about anything other than a man, like say the fucking weather, and it passes the test. And yet 99% of Hollywood movies fail the test (The Wolverine was apparently the only blockbuster released this summer that passed it). What does that say about Hollywood?

Dukefrukem
09-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Iron Man 3 has to pass it with the dialog between Pepper and Maya.

Raiders
09-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I mean according to www.bechdeltest.com (http://www.bechdeltest.com), a lot of movies do pass it. That doesn't mean much, though. As 8 says, it is a pretty silly and easy test.

number8
09-04-2013, 04:31 PM
I can make no observation on the film, but movies and science fiction are two areas still largely male-dominated, written by and still largely for men. Her argument is overall accurate as it relates to the industry and to the genre, but to single out this film which seems from her description pretty much what you would expect (I also imagine if I were to poll the recent gender breakdown of bounty hunters, it is largely male-dominant) seems misguided and she comes off with a clear agenda she probably had before even viewing the film.

I dunno. Everything you said here is right, but that's not the argument she was making that I got when reading the review. I think she's referring to a view of the science-fiction genre that I often hear cited by feminists as to why they gravitate to the genre more than fantasy. Male dominated or not, the fantasy genre is often based in a familiarly sexist world. Even when George RR Martin and Robert E Howard create their "strong badass women," they are often portrayed as strong because they're able to survive in a patriarchal world. But when questioned why that world has to be filled with rape, sexism and powerless women in the first place, these fantasy author would cite realism, referring to medieval monarchs and historical vikings. I usually call bullshit on this because if you can accept a world where dragons exist, why is it considered such a giant leap to accept a world where sexism doesn't exist, when the former is impossible but the latter is merely implausible? Still, I understand the impetus to try to bring the medieval fantasy world as close as possible to real medieval times. I get it.

In contrast, though, sci-fi authors rarely wield that excuse when building their equally imaginary world. We've seen plenty of futuristic sci-fi where female leaders, thinkers, and soldiers are depicted as the norm, and their strong female characters don't have to undergo the tired "I'll prove that I'm as good as a man" or "I'm not in power, but I can scheme" plots. Because the far future (and space) is truly a world you're really free to make the societal norms whatever you want, where there's really no excuse for still using sexism as a dramatic device other than pure bias and/or laziness.

D_Davis
09-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Because the far future (and space) is truly a world you're really free to make the societal norms whatever you want, where there's really no excuse for still using sexism as a dramatic device other than pure bias and/or laziness.

There is the dystopian sub-genre, in which I would place Riddick, which envisions a future that is worse than the present.

Also, let's not confuse setting (space, the future) for genre.

number8
09-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Iron Man 3 has to pass it with the dialog between Pepper and Maya.

I think so. I'm probably mis-remembering that Wolverine factoid. It's probably not the only one, but it was suggested as an example of one that easily passes (given that there were, what, 4 or 5 female supporting roles?) whereas Pacific Rim, Lone Ranger, Star Trek, etc all failed.

Pacific Rim is a good example of the Bechdel test's usefulness, actually. It clearly did not have a sexist attitude regarding Mako Mori in any way, and also a pretty progressive movie overall, but it's still a fail on the test because it didn't think it was important to have more than one speaking female part.

D_Davis
09-04-2013, 04:51 PM
I dunno. Everything you said here is right, but that's not the argument she was making that I got when reading the review. I think she's referring to a view of the science-fiction genre that I often hear cited by feminists as to why they gravitate to the genre more than fantasy. Male dominated or not, the fantasy genre is often based in a familiarly sexist world. Even when George RR Martin and Robert E Howard create their "strong badass women," they are often portrayed as strong because they're able to survive in a patriarchal world. But when questioned why that world has to be filled with rape, sexism and powerless women in the first place, these fantasy author would cite realism, referring to medieval monarchs and historical vikings. I usually call bullshit on this because if you can accept a world where dragons exist, why is it considered such a giant leap to accept a world where sexism doesn't exist, when the former is impossible but the latter is merely implausible? Still, I understand the impetus to try to bring the medieval fantasy world as close as possible to real medieval times. I get it.

Good 'graph. I'm usually very shocked by how many women like Game of Thrones. From what little I've read and seen, the entire thing just reeks of sexism and juvenile, male wish-fulfillment. Especially when compared to the stuff from McDermott, who writes some of the most amazing female characters in the genre (and I might argue in all of fiction regardless of genre).

Howard is an interesting case, as is the entire Lovecraft circle; they all battled many, many personal and social demons.

number8
09-04-2013, 04:53 PM
There is the dystopian sub-genre, in which I would place Riddick, which envisions a future that is worse than the present.

But I think what's being challenged here is the validity of even such a bleak future to still have outdated attitudes towards gender (or sexual orientation, for that matter). There's a difference between situations getting worse and people getting worse. It doesn't have to be a Star Trek world for ancient prejudices to disappear. Look at Starship Troopers, look at the The Matrix, look at Terminator, look at Hunger Games. They're most definitely dystopian, but they've done away with the trope because it should be irrelevant at that point, and arguably irrelevant for today's audiences to see.

Also, let's not confuse setting (space, the future) for genre.

Of course. Just as not all fantasy is set in a D&D world.

Raiders
09-04-2013, 04:54 PM

In contrast, though, sci-fi authors rarely wield that excuse when building their equally imaginary world. We've seen plenty of futuristic sci-fi where female leaders, thinkers, and soldiers are depicted as the norm, and their strong female characters don't have to undergo the tired "I'll prove that I'm as good as a man" or "I'm not in power, but I can scheme" plots. Because the far future (and space) is truly a world you're really free to make the societal norms whatever you want, where there's really no excuse for still using sexism as a dramatic device other than pure bias and/or laziness.

Sure. I acknowledge that, and it is indeed the argument she is making. But do you pick the third film in a series centered around an alpha male criminal whose primary source of antagonism comes from bounty hunters and mercenaries, which is historically a male-dominated enterprise, and one set in a dystopian future where certainly the level of society and pleasantries has degraded, as the film to pick apart? Did she expect something different? I doubt Sackhoff's character is any more cliche or underwritten than every character not named Riddick.

I will admit, if her description of the ultimate dialogue between them is accurate, it sounds painfully regrettable and worthy of her scorn. But beyond that, she didn't really make a very compelling argument to me. She didn't take sci-fi, or the movie industry, so much to task as she did this film. Her Bechdel test and other larger-scope quips seemed like a qualifying afterthought.

D_Davis
09-04-2013, 04:59 PM
But I think what's being challenged here is the validity of even such a bleak future to still have outdated attitudes towards gender (or sexual orientation, for that matter). There's a difference between situations getting worse and people getting worse. It doesn't have to be a Star Trek world for ancient prejudices to disappear. Look at Starship Troopers, look at the The Matrix, look at Terminator, look at Hunger Games. They're most definitely dystopian, but they've done away with the trope because it should be irrelevant at that point, and arguably irrelevant for today's audiences to see.

Right. But is it always a filmmaker's/author's responsibility to depict a certain kind of social climate in his or her story? Depicting all futures as a place where sexism no longer exists seems very disingenuous to me - like forced social progression. What if the artist wants to depict a future that hasn't progressed positively down this social avenue?

number8
09-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Right. But is it always a filmmaker's/author's responsibility to depict a certain kind of social climate in his or her story? Depicting all futures as a place where sexism no longer exists seems very disingenuous to me - like forced social progression. What if the artist wants to depict a future that hasn't progressed positively down this social avenue?

Meh. No artist is ever obligated to do anything a certain way in my book, just as the audience is never obligated to just accept ugliness without a good reason, especially when it (as I strongly believe) flies against common sense.

D_Davis
09-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Some of the most interesting and meaningful SF every written is extremely sexist, and it's interesting and meaningful because it depicts the worldview of an author troubled by those kinds of personal demons. For instance, the work of Philip K. Dick. His work is plagued with sexism, and I can understand how it would be hard to read for some readers. However, the sexism in his books is interesting because it allows us to catch a glimpse into the mind of an infinitely fascinating and troubled artist. You can trace his views of women through the many Dark Haired Girl characters that populate his books, culminating in his last published book - The Transmigration of Timothy Archer - which is his only book to feature a strong, well-balanced female character, who also happens to be the POV character; it took Dick his entire career to get to that point, to be that comfortable with women and come to terms with his demons. Dick had problematic relationships with women - understatement of the day - and this informed his work, and is something that academics study because it is part of Dick's literary heritage.

D_Davis
09-04-2013, 05:13 PM
I do find it odd to single Riddick out. I mean, there is so much shit wrong with Hollywood and the entertainment industry at large - they are gross and disgusting things for the most part. Riddick might just be another example of the norm, which is, of course, the real problem.

Grouchy
09-04-2013, 05:18 PM
I find these type of discussions annoying. If a film is well written, good and true to its characters, does it really matter that it doesn't meet the standards put forward by a bunch of feminists or that no women are physically harmed on it?

I doubt even The Godfather would pass that stupid test, simply because the three main female roles barely interact with each other, and when they do, is because Michael killed Connie's husband. So what, The Godfather is a useless patriarchal relic because of that?

Judging fiction in general by how closely it matches your personal bias and agenda is pretty stupid. I'm not defending Riddick, of course, because I haven't seen it.

number8
09-04-2013, 05:23 PM
I find these type of discussions annoying. If a film is well written, good and true to its characters, does it really matter that it doesn't meet the standards put forward by a bunch of feminists or that no women are physically harmed on it?

Yes. It matters very much.

Grouchy
09-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Yes. It matters very much.
Well, not to me then. In real life both men and women are physically harmed and abused on a regular basis, and of course women have historically been harmed with the consent of society at large because of religion and prejudice.

So, if I see a film that depicts that, even if it's just used to move the plot forward, doesn't strike me as troublesome. I guess I'm an equal-opportunity offender.

number8
09-04-2013, 05:32 PM
I tend to believe that if you don't think it's important for groups of people to have better representation and a voice in the world of art and pop culture, you must not think very highly of art and pop culture.

Women do not have that yet, and that's a fact. Men do. We can't just say because there are men getting raped and killed too then it's the same. That would be false equivalency.

Grouchy
09-04-2013, 05:35 PM
I tend to believe that if you don't think it's important for groups of people to have better representation and a voice in the world of art and pop culture, you must not think very highly of art and pop culture.
I never said that. The two latest films I've seen (Camille Rewinds and American Mary) are directed by women.

Grouchy
09-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Besides, the Bechdel test (this is the first time I've heard of it) is obviously flawed. The circumstances of any plot can be so varied as to prevent the conversation between two named female characters from taking place, and that doesn't mean the film is prejudiced.

If you want to analyze how women are represented in media the only way to do it fairly would be on a case-by-case basis.

Kurosawa Fan
09-04-2013, 05:59 PM
This entire discussion is really dispiriting. Whether Riddick was the reasonable target or not (she points out why it is a relevant target by taking the previous Riddick films' treatment of female characters into consideration), it's plainly obvious that the treatment of female characters and the lack of work for female actors is an egregious insult to women, evidenced by the fact that a Bechdel Test exists and shows over and over again how masculine-driven film and television are in modern society. She makes a well-reasoned and effective argument as to why sci-fi should do away with misogyny by way of pointing out how human civilization improves as it ages in relation to human rights, especially for minority groups. It's a slow process, but one that history shows again and again to be correct. Why so much sci-fi has to be rooted in masculinity and even misogyny is confounding. The issues pointed out in Riddick just jumped out at her and served as motivation for writing her article.

Frankly, I'm really surprised to see so many either claiming it's no big deal or defending these attitudes. I think she's dead on to call out Riddick, the genre, and Hollywood in general.

D_Davis
09-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Kind of off-topic, but also not.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/the-bumpy-road-towards-games-for-everyone/1600-599/

Listen to the podcast, read the comments.

number8
09-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Besides, the Bechdel test (this is the first time I've heard of it) is obviously flawed. The circumstances of any plot can be so varied as to prevent the conversation between two named female characters from taking place, and that doesn't mean the film is prejudiced.

If you want to analyze how women are represented in media the only way to do it fairly would be on a case-by-case basis.

I just explained this to duke. It was never a serious test to begin with (it was started by a humor comic strip, for chrisssakes), and it's not to measure whether or not a movie has GOOD female portrayal. Like I said in the previous page, you can have a scene where two women literally just talk about the weather and then have the rest of the movie be full of misogynistic shit and it would still pass the test. So the fact that most popular Hollywood movies fail this INCREDIBLY EASY test is indicative that the industry don't think it's terribly important to have more female characters in the mix. That's it. That's all the test is saying. That even the best cinematic masterpieces only use women as props to either motivate the men or talk about them.

That's what I'm talking about when I say representation. What's lacking is variance. Men have all kinds of roles open to them, with the victim and the love interest being just two. For women in franchise/blockbuster movies, those two types of roles dominate their options. In our reality, women have all kinds of jobs, and they talk about all kinds of things, but we don't see that shit on screen. Don't tell me that we can't have more interesting scenes of female characters bullshitting in the middle of a movie when one of the most famous dialogue scenes of all time is two dudes talking about a Big Mac.

Why we don't is because the consensus is that watching men bullshit around is funny and interesting, while watching women do the same isn't. That's where the sexism often is, not necessarily within the fiction.

I think it matters to correct that just as I think it matters for superhero comics to not be full of white dudes, just as it mattered for Bruce Lee to change how asians are depicted on screen.

Grouchy
09-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Ok, that's fair enough, I guess.

It might be that I'm just widely prejudiced against this stuff because my ex-gf practically lived for it. She actually read feminist movie reviews online before agreeing to go to a film. One time I went with my friends to a screening of Evil Dead (which she'd never even heard of despite being a self-proclaimed cinephile) and she called me in hysterics because she'd found out about the tree rape scene.

D_Davis
09-04-2013, 06:09 PM
... evidenced by the fact that a Bechdel Test exists and shows over and over again how masculine-driven film and television are in modern society.

This is the important part. These problems exist as a poor reflection of our society, and of the entertainment industries in general, and are not just confined to a certain genre or medium.

Riddick is an example, and it happens to be SF. There are countless SF examples that are not sexist.

But again, sexism within the genre of SF is an interesting topic to explore for a variety of reasons, even going to back the first golden era and seeing how female authors would take on male of gender-ambiguous pseudonyms in order to be taken seriously, a few of which went on to become some of the genres best authors.

Personally, I like examining the Deadly China Doll syndrome that many authors and fans mistake for progressive depiction of female characters, when, in fact, they're nothing by male fantasies. WOW! She's HOT and she can kick ass! She's such a strong character!

Raiders
09-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Frankly, I'm really surprised to see so many either claiming it's no big deal or defending these attitudes. I think she's dead on to call out Riddick, the genre, and Hollywood in general.

It is a big deal, but I don't see why the precludes me from finding her usage of this film as a basis for her argument to be problematic or make it so that I am defending these attitudes.

number8
09-04-2013, 06:17 PM
We're all probably obligated to see this movie now. It's the law.

Grouchy
09-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Heh, I was going to anyway. I like Riddick.

Kurosawa Fan
09-04-2013, 06:19 PM
She addressed why she found this film such an appropriate target in that she has seen the first two, and the role of the female has diminished in each one. I think that's a fair reason for taking on the third film in a trilogy that is masculine in nature. Whereas the first film had two strong female characters who weren't a target of consistent male abuse, this one had none. She found that troubling and chose it as her springboard to criticize this film and the problem with misogyny in the genre and the Hollywood system.

Raiders
09-04-2013, 06:36 PM
I don't buy that Alexa Davalos' "asskicker" who has an attempted rape and has to be saved by Diesel, Thandie Newton's Lady Macbeth or Judy Dench's non-character fairy are any better, but I haven't seen the newest film so I would have no idea.

I'm going to bow out though, because I feel that I am being misjudged here and would prefer to just stop.

Dukefrukem
09-04-2013, 07:03 PM
I think so. I'm probably mis-remembering that Wolverine factoid. It's probably not the only one, but it was suggested as an example of one that easily passes (given that there were, what, 4 or 5 female supporting roles?) whereas Pacific Rim, Lone Ranger, Star Trek, etc all failed.

Pacific Rim is a good example of the Bechdel test's usefulness, actually. It clearly did not have a sexist attitude regarding Mako Mori in any way, and also a pretty progressive movie overall, but it's still a fail on the test because it didn't think it was important to have more than one speaking female part.

Star Trek is also a good example. I don't think I can remember a single string of dialog from Uhura that wasn't complaining about Spock.

Skitch
09-04-2013, 08:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/LqZtTkm.jpg

Dukefrukem
09-04-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm going to bow out though, because I feel that I am being misjudged here and would prefer to just stop.

I say this to myself in every MC argument I get into... but the stubbornness is an eternal flame that burns for infinity.

Dukefrukem
09-04-2013, 08:08 PM
I would even say in the first Riddick movie we had a fantastic female protagonist.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsikawpnZP1qeevqbo1_500 .jpg

number8
09-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Raiders and I are the same person now.

Kurosawa Fan
09-04-2013, 09:06 PM

Not misjudging you at all. I completely understand where you are coming from, and can't argue with it since I've never seen a Riddick film. Or maybe I've seen Pitch Black. If I did, it wasn't terribly memorable.

Kurosawa Fan
09-04-2013, 09:07 PM
I would even say in the first Riddick movie we had a fantastic female protagonist.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsikawpnZP1qeevqbo1_500 .jpg

Yep, this was part of her argument in the article. She agrees with you.

Rowland
09-05-2013, 12:05 AM
That picture of Radha Mitchell reminds me that I'd like to revisit Pitch Black and Chronicles before I see this. Mmm, Radha... [/sexist?]

Dukefrukem
01-29-2014, 12:54 AM
Sweet

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/65948?utm_source=full-feed&utm_medium=feed&utm_term=coolnews&utm_campaign=1310_RSS

Skitch
01-29-2014, 01:16 AM
Yay! I want Chronicles part 2.

Dukefrukem
01-29-2014, 01:35 AM
Well I doubt they'll go that direction again...

Skitch
01-29-2014, 01:57 AM

They've said before they want to go every other.

TGM
01-29-2014, 02:06 AM

The Director's Cut ending certainly suggests that they'll be returning to that direction again, at least.

Dukefrukem
01-29-2014, 12:18 PM
The Director's Cut ending certainly suggests that they'll be returning to that direction again, at least.

The Complete Riddick Collection is currently in transit!

Dukefrukem
11-22-2015, 12:36 PM
VD announced on his instagram they are writing the next chapter now.. called "FURIA".

And they are also launching a TV series pilot called "Merc City” and will follow the Mercs and Bounty Hunters of the Riddick Universe.

Skitch
11-22-2015, 01:27 PM
I'm game.

megladon8
11-22-2015, 07:14 PM
Awesome news. Is it David Twohy again?

I'm always game for more Riddick, even if the only good movie of the bunch was Pitch Black.

Dukefrukem
11-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Yeh sorry. I should have noted that. DT is involved. Not confirmed to direct but he's writing at the very least.

Dukefrukem
12-16-2015, 09:02 PM
Bummer. Next movie is an origin story of Riddick.

TGM
12-16-2015, 09:06 PM
Oh god dammit. Guess that answers whether or not they're moving forward from the Director's Cut ending of Riddick. -_-

Isn't the video game already an origin story anyways? :/

D_Davis
12-16-2015, 09:09 PM
Bummer. Next movie is an origin story of Riddick.

And there went any of my excitement.

Dukefrukem
12-16-2015, 09:10 PM
Oh god dammit. Guess that answers whether or not they're moving forward from the Director's Cut ending of Riddick. -_-

Isn't the video game already an origin story anyways? :/

Yes. And it's awesome.

Skitch
12-16-2015, 09:49 PM
Gah I fucking hate prequels and origins.

D_Davis
12-16-2015, 09:55 PM
Yes. And it's awesome.

Yep. Not only is it one of the best games based on a movie (maybe the only good one ever?), it's also better than any of the movies.

Dukefrukem
12-17-2015, 12:03 AM
Yep. Not only is it one of the best games based on a movie (maybe the only good one ever?), it's also better than any of the movies.

Agreed!

megladon8
12-17-2015, 12:42 AM
It's better than both sequels for sure, and an incredible game.

Still love Pitch Black to death, though.