PDA

View Full Version : Signed books in your collection?

Malickfan
02-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Anyone?

I have these in mine...

Bleed Into Me by Stephen Graham Jones
Demon Theory by Stephen Graham Jones
House Of Leaves by Mark Danielewski
Only Revolutions by Mark Danielewski
Rubicon Beach by Steve Erickson
The Soul Thief by Charles Baxter

Llopin
02-01-2010, 11:20 PM
The ones I'm most proud of are Joe Sacco and Robert Coover.

Malickfan
02-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Robert Coover.

Ghost Town?

Milky Joe
02-02-2010, 03:32 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4A9r9yKkkNs/SU432LPsEVI/AAAAAAAAB7E/SMYGfeHovrg/s400/Toward-2012-Daniel-Pinchbeck.jpg

Signed by Daniel Pinchbeck. Only one.

BuffaloWilder
02-02-2010, 04:03 AM
Books and comics:

Original run of The Crow under the Tundra imprint, by J.O'Barr (yes, back in the day, I too was one of 'those' kids, for a time)
Criminal, issues one and two, by Ed Brubaker
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, issues one and ten (original printings, folks), by Kevin Eastman

Actually, that's all I can think of, at the moment. Up next, I'm thinking of trying to get my copies of the individual issues of V For Vendetta and the first issue of Watchmen signed, along with what I have of the Year One arc, from Batman. Maybe some issues of Cerebus, but Dave Sim is notoriously reclusive, so that's probably going to be a lot more difficult. If I wanted to be really brazen, I'd drag all the issues of Hate I had with me and try to track down Peter Bagge - but, I'm not.

Sycophant
02-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Um. October Sky by Homer Hickam.

...And The O'Reilly Factor by Bill O'Reilly.

I was a very different person 10 years ago.

thefourthwall
02-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Off the top of my head...
http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/blog/uploaded_images/wrinkle-cover-730538.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9a/Ringendlesslight.jpg/250px-Ringendlesslight.jpg

http://www.kdl.org/image_attachments/0000/6767/51pjjz0m7ql.jpg

and possibly
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51628CG19VL.jpg

I bought Jack Maggs online and it wasn't until near the end of the semester after I'd nearly annotated the book to death (I wrote a paper on it) that I noticed that it appeared to be signed. I have no way of knowing if it's legit, but why would anyone fake a signature?

megladon8
02-03-2010, 06:16 PM
I don't think I have any signed books.

Lots of signed comics, though.

"X-Men" #1 signed by Stan Lee. "Astonishing X-Men" #1-3 (and all variants) signed by Cassaday and Whedon. A couple EC Comics signed by Bill Gaines.

Kurosawa Fan
02-03-2010, 06:48 PM
I have a couple signed copies of Chuck Palahniuk novels. Fight Club and Survivor, if I remember correctly.

Hugh_Grant
02-03-2010, 07:05 PM
thefourthwall, Julian Barnes is my favorite author. That is so awesome you have a signed copy of Arthur and George.

Edit: I have a signed book on codeswitching from a grad school professor. That's about it.

thefourthwall
02-03-2010, 07:12 PM
thefourthwall, Julian Barnes is my favorite author. That is so awesome you have a signed copy of Arthur and George.

Yeah, he came to a Chicago suburb right when Arthur and George was coming out. At that point I'd only read half of England, England, but I went with a professor and fellow grad student anyways--I've since read more (though not A & G, she added ashamedly). He was very kind and a bit chatty with us though we were near the front of the line after his talk and didn't want to monopolize him too much.

Hugh_Grant
02-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Very cool. With the exception of some of his collections of shorter works and his recently-released memoir, I've read all his books.

Maybe because I expect so much out of him, I was a tiny bit disappointed in Arthur and George.

Grouchy
02-04-2010, 02:04 PM
- Bone Vol. 1: Out of Boneville. A little drawing of Bone, too.

- An issue of Detective Comics from the early '90s starring the Joker, signed by Alan Grant (writer) and Jerry Robinson (Joker creator).

BuffaloWilder
02-07-2010, 03:19 PM
So, went hob-knobbing around and found a little hole-in-the-wall comic book store, yesterday. The guy had almost the entire first ten issues of that first run of Ninja Turtles, along with a couple of others I'd been missing - along with the rest, I ended up buying a copy of issues three, six, and eight. First print - and all for about $3.50, each. They came from the guy's personal collection that he'd donated to the store, he told me.

I get into the car, and I open them up, and - why, somebody has scribbled all over the copy of issue six I'd bought. Waitaminute - "To Jimmy! (Indecipherable text) Kevin Eastman."

Whaaaa -

Llopin
02-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Ghost Town?

Spanking the Maid. It was mostly enthralling to meet him, he came to do a conference on virtual storytelling or some brewhaha, CaveWriting he called it, but it's obvious most people were there because of him. Also, he did spell my name correctly, which is surprising, considering it has nothing to do with english. I later learned he did live here for some time, so that might explain the familiarity.

And Sacco came for the local equivalent of a ComiCon. He signed me his book on touring with a rock band ("my my, hey hey, rock'n'roll comics are here to stay) and then we chatted about Portland musicians. Apparently he's good friends with Janet Weiss of the defunct Sleater-Kinney. I didn't want to demerit his more journalistic, serious efforts, that's just the comic I had in hand. Also Peter Bagge was around, but due to signing schedules I couldn't get ahold of his.