PDA

View Full Version : Boardwalk Empire

ThePlashyBubbler
01-15-2010, 04:58 AM
New HBO series from former Sopranos writer Terence Winter about 1920s gangsters. Pilot directed by Martin Scorsese. Stars Steve Buscemi, Michael Pitt, Michael Shannon, Michael K. Williams, Gretchen Mol, and others.

Trailer here:
http://www.hbo.com/events/boardwalk-empire/index.html

RoadtoPerdition
09-20-2010, 10:01 PM
This pilot was pretty good -- not great. I think Nucky is an intriguing character, among others, and will be interested to see where things go.

ledfloyd
09-20-2010, 11:55 PM
i didn't see much in the first episode that blazed any new ground. i'm hoping that will change, but the pilot was incredibly routine.

Qrazy
09-20-2010, 11:59 PM
Define routine... like routine generic/cliche or routine been there done that, but still a highly enjoyable gangster experience.

ledfloyd
09-21-2010, 12:06 AM
Define routine... like routine generic/cliche or routine been there done that, but still a highly enjoyable gangster experience.
routine been there done that but still a moderately enjoyable gangster experience.

again this is just based on the pilot, hopefully it builds upon that.

Henry Gale
09-21-2010, 07:52 AM
I actually really liked the pilot a lot. Despite all the talent involved, I was sort of not expecting to love it as much as I did. The subject matter always seemed interesting, the cast was amazing (Buscemi on his own on top of the Michael-quadruple-threat of Shannon, Stuhlbarg, K. Williams and Pitt), so I guess those expectations came more from Scorsese's tendency to often leave me cold as of late (though I kind of loved Shutter Island too, so this year he's been making me rethink things) and Sopranos never being something I could completely get into despite admiring everything I'd seen from it.

Definitely glad I was wrong though, because the world the show has already managed to illustrate in its first seventy minutes is something I can really dig getting invested in for a long time. Some of the sequences are just so beautifully done with the actors all doing a pretty impeccable job so far. Probably the best instance of stand-up comedy used to score an unpleasant montage since... Funny People?

It's an just an oddly charming show, especially strange considering the overwhelming smarm, greed and sleaze of what it depicts. I'm definitely in.

Morris Schæffer
09-27-2010, 07:36 PM
What's your name? Al Capone.

I guess I'm hooked.

Winston*
09-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Don't know how they came upon that theme music. Shouldn't it be jazz or something?

Really dug the pilot. I just really love the milleu. Omar's performance was incredible.

Morris Schæffer
09-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Really dug the pilot. I just really love the milleu. Omar's performance was incredible.

Haha. So brief and yet so electrifying. How does he do it?

Winston*
10-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Not sure all the nudity in this show is absolutely neccesary.

Winston*
10-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Still enjoying the show but I think there's a big problem in that Jimmy just doesn't come across as interesting, and he monopolises a lot of screen time.

The stuff with Omar was the most promising in the third episode.

Kurosawa Fan
10-08-2010, 09:06 PM
I've watched the first two episodes, and thus far I'm actually pretty bored. It has decent style, but little in the way of substance that hasn't been covered a hundred times before. I'll give it a couple more episodes, but unless it improves, I'm out.

Kurosawa Fan
10-09-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm really not sure about this show. The symbolism is clunky, the plot lines are banal for the most part, and this is one of those rare occasions where the performances deserve better characters and stories, rather than the other way around. It is shot beautifully, and has a unique atmosphere (not quite period piece, not quite gangster, kind of an odd blend of both), but other than the Michael K. Williams storyline, I'm not very interested in where the series is headed.

ledfloyd
10-10-2010, 06:27 AM
I'm really not sure about this show. The symbolism is clunky, the plot lines are banal for the most part, and this is one of those rare occasions where the performances deserve better characters and stories, rather than the other way around. It is shot beautifully, and has a unique atmosphere (not quite period piece, not quite gangster, kind of an odd blend of both), but other than the Michael K. Williams storyline, I'm not very interested in where the series is headed.
i more or less agree. i'm sticking it out because of the talent involved but if it doesn't shape up by the end of the first season i won't hesitate to jump ship.

Grouchy
10-21-2010, 02:59 AM
I watched the first two episodes. It's good stuff, but one thing I didn't like is that the way Scorsese directed the pilot is almost like a parody of his own style - specially Goodfellas with the constant use of freeze frames. There's a scene where Al Capone is beating up a guy at a bar that has a shot a little too reminiscent of Goodfellas too.

But it's good. I'll keep watching.

Mr. Pink
10-22-2010, 04:01 AM
Damn you guys for pointing out flaws that I conveniently overlook.

Grouchy
10-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Damn you guys for pointing out flaws that I conveniently overlook.
I'll say, this page looks way too critical. I contributed to that myself, but it's really a quality show. That much is obvious.

Mr. Pink
10-25-2010, 01:13 PM
I'd say the last episode was the best one yet.

Grouchy
10-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Saw the third episode yesterday. Good stuff. I like how many of the storylines have gone in completely unexpected directions, specially Jimmy's.

On the other hand...

It's kind of obvious that Jimmy is Nucky's son, right? No surprises there.

amberlita
10-25-2010, 05:26 PM
That was a lot of nakedness.

The scene with Al Capone talking to Jimmy about his kid? Wow.

Grouchy
10-26-2010, 06:35 AM
That was a lot of nakedness.
Paz de la Huerta should never wear clothes.

Qrazy
10-26-2010, 07:19 AM
I find Michael Williams terribly out of place and mis-type-cast in this role.

ledfloyd
10-26-2010, 07:39 AM
Paz de la Huerta should never wear clothes.
are you watching the show? she never is.

Grouchy
10-31-2010, 08:39 PM
are you watching the show? she never is.
Hahah I know.

Irish
11-04-2010, 08:35 AM

Agreed. Two strikes: It's yet another gangster story and it has no subtlety whatsoever.

The show has no soul and has nothing to say. And the obvious, uninteresting mother/whore representation of every female character is getting on my nerves.

ledfloyd
11-04-2010, 02:07 PM
the usage of the phantom of the opera theme this week was awful.

Qrazy
11-05-2010, 01:56 AM
Yeah I really don't care for this series.

Grouchy
11-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Eh, I agree with you guys on some things (for example, that Jimmy is really not an interesting character) but most of the time, I'm enjoying the show, specially the cliffhangers. Nucky has some really funny moments.

They need to stop the anachronistic music, though.

Morris Schæffer
11-12-2010, 10:42 AM
That one-eyed sniper guy, Richard Harrow, is fucking great!

I'm fully engaged by this show. It oozes authenticity from every stinking pore.

ledfloyd
11-12-2010, 02:26 PM
this week was the first episode that i really didn't have any significant problems with. it's actually starting to kind of resemble the show i hoped it'd be.

ledfloyd
12-06-2010, 04:45 PM
so, am i the only one that made it to the end of the season?

Qrazy
12-06-2010, 06:01 PM
so, am i the only one that made it to the end of the season?

I did as well. It got a bit better, except for Michael Shannon's plotline which is terrible.

ledfloyd
12-06-2010, 07:37 PM
I did as well. It got a bit better, except for Michael Shannon's plotline which is terrible.
i agree. i actually liked the finale, and the way things are set up for season 2 is promising.

for much of this season i think it just lacked a focus. the rothstein plotline that tied everything together wasn't very engaging, and whenever they went to new york or chicago i was kind of wishing they'd focus more on atlantic city and the bootlegging war. shannon was the only thing i found awful, well aside from paz de la huerta, and i suppose the one eyed assassin is kind of silly as well.

Thirdmango
12-06-2010, 09:20 PM
I have plans to reach the end of the season but haven't started yet.

Morris Schæffer
12-07-2010, 10:39 AM
I will definitely reach the end in the coming weeks. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. About Paz de la Huerta, nice titties, but her face is hideous hideous hideous.

Dukefrukem
01-04-2011, 01:53 PM
You guys might like this. (http://kottke.org/11/01/boardwalk-empire-visual-effects)

Lazlo
01-04-2011, 08:51 PM
You guys might like this. (http://kottke.org/11/01/boardwalk-empire-visual-effects)

Saw this yesterday, after watching those long-ass Star Wars prequel reviews and was amazed at how much and how convincing the use of CGI locations in Boardwalk Empire compared to Lucas' nonsense.

Winston*
04-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Finished the season. They gave themselves the outs to get rid of Michael Shannon and Kelly McDonald's characters for season 2 and then decided to keep them. Why?

Winston*
04-17-2011, 10:19 AM
i suppose the one eyed assassin is kind of silly as well.

He was one of the best things IMO.

Morris Schæffer
09-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Season 2 apparently started. Gonna watch it for sure.

ledfloyd
09-26-2011, 09:44 PM
matt zoller seitz has a piece up on the show today that more or less encapsulates all the complaints i had with season 1. the fact that he extends them to season 2 is less than promising. i'm still deciding whether i want to bother or not.

ThePlashyBubbler
10-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Surprised by how engaged I've been by the first couple episodes this season. Last year definitely had that air of a show coasting on good will based on those involved, but they've done a good job at building towards something story-wise, while maintaining fairly engaging episode-by-episode story vignettes like Nelson on the town with his wife.

Amused to realize, though, that the resolution of the sequence in Ep. 2 with Chalky in jail was pretty much a direct rip from Game of Thrones.

Qrazy
10-06-2011, 03:17 AM
Surprised by how engaged I've been by the first couple episodes this season. Last year definitely had that air of a show coasting on good will based on those involved, but they've done a good job at building towards something story-wise, while maintaining fairly engaging episode-by-episode story vignettes like Nelson on the town with his wife.

Amused to realize, though, that the resolution of the sequence in Ep. 2 with Chalky in jail was pretty much a direct rip from Game of Thrones.

Yeah, it's been pretty solid. I've enjoyed it.

Morris Schæffer
10-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Definitely digging it. Even if the plotting or character motivations or whatever fails to reach stellar levels, the evocation of a period is consistently top notch for me to be engaged.

ledfloyd
10-15-2011, 01:02 AM
i watched the first two episodes this season and... i think i'm done with this show.

Grouchy
12-19-2011, 04:34 PM
None here likes this?

I finished Season 2 yesterday. Fucking loved it. I'll admit one of the flaws of the show is that it ties things up too neatly at the end of every season in order to keep the status quo of most of the characters. But this season was excellent in every way regardless.

Qrazy
12-19-2011, 04:35 PM
None here likes this?

I finished Season 2 yesterday. Fucking loved it. I'll admit one of the flaws of the show is that it ties things up too neatly at the end of every season in order to keep the status quo of most of the characters. But this season was excellent in every way regardless.

I'm actually digging it a lot more now.

sevenarts
12-19-2011, 04:44 PM
I love this show, and I think it's crazy how many people seem to dismiss it. This season was better than the first in every way, and the last two episodes especially were just mind-blowingly good and shocking. Loved everything with Jimmy this season.

Mr. Pink
12-19-2011, 06:53 PM
I still like Chalky White and Nucky, but everyone else, aside from minor characters, are virtually unlikable. My main complaints are that it is unnecessarily weird, and it's too slow (the payoff for waiting through painfully boring scenes aren't enough to keep me interested).

I don't care how drunk you get, you don't fuck your mom, even if she's smoking hot. And, as for the mom, she falls into the unnecessarily weird category. I don't see how that dynamic is adding much to the show. Same thing with Van Alden. Why is he so strange, and why does it matter? Margaret went from being a solid girlfriend to have to being the opposite, so I don't care for her anymore, either.

I'm not even sure the writers know what the hell they're doing. Apparently, the backstory to Jimmy and his mom was supposed to make us sympathize with his mom. What?

Even still, the scene was Chalky White in jail is about as good as anything you'll find on TV, so that counts for something. Mostly I'm upset that I want to like it, I used to like it, but they are doing things that make it really difficult for me to keep watching. I need more gangster, with less politics and weird shit that seems to go nowhere.

Lazlo
12-19-2011, 11:00 PM
I would agree with most of the things Mr. Pink said but I still really really like the show despite all that. Also, it has to be hands down the best looking/shot show on TV.

Grouchy
12-20-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm the complete opposite of everything Mr. Pink is saying. The moral ambiguity and the focus on sexual kinks and psychology of the characters is what keeps me hooked. If you take that away, the show becomes a gangster routine with predictable outcomes. We all know Nucky won't go to prison or die before the end of the show so he will have to defeat his enemies.

I don't think Jimmy fucked his mom just because he was drunk, but because there was an incest dynamic in his relationship with her that was already pretty established.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm the complete opposite of everything Mr. Pink is saying. The moral ambiguity and the focus on sexual kinks and psychology of the characters is what keeps me hooked. If you take that away, the show becomes a gangster routine with predictable outcomes. We all know Nucky won't go to prison or die before the end of the show so he will have to defeat his enemies.

I don't think Jimmy fucked his mom just because he was drunk, but because there was an incest dynamic in his relationship with her that was already pretty established.

Moral ambiguity is okay with me, but the extreme detail given to the sexual kinks and psychology of the characters seems almost entirely unnecessary.

Consider the scene from season one where Van Alden is whipping himself. Okay, he's a sado-masochist. Is that important? Don't we already know he's bat-shit crazy from previous scenes? So why is that important in any way? I mean, I like the scene, but I don't see how it's that important/necessary.

Prior to showing us Jimmy slept with his mom, Jimmy didn't seem to be playing into her unhealthy obsession with him. But it turns out he slept with her, and they're both weirdos, so I can't relate to him as a character anymore. Not only that, but I don't like him as a character anymore (even though he's dead). They could have left it at her unhealthy obsession with him without destroying his character in the process. So he left for the war to escape the shame he felt for sleeping with his mom? Yeah, it sucks, but if they wanted me to feel sorry for him, that's not the way to do it.

I can handle a certain level of weirdness in small doses, but this show overloads basically every main character with some sort of incredibly strange personal flaw that, taken as a whole, is too much to take seriously. They've managed to assemble the strangest group of people I've seen on any show, and I don't really buy it anymore. It doesn't seem like an accurate portrayal of reality, even considering how weird a lot of people are.

Jimmy is married to a lesbian, has a incestuous relationship with his crazy mom, hangs out with a suicidal guy with half his face missing, does heroine, plots against his father figure with said father figure's insane brother, all the while being chased by a religious sado-masochist that is cheating on his wife with another crazy person. I know people aren't perfect, but holy shit.

So that's where my frustration comes from. The relationships on that show are just too fuckin' weird for me to handle.

Scar
12-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Definitely like the show, finished S2 a week or so ago. I like the Butcher character (surprise, surprise) so much that I'll talk like him around the house. Not sure if my wife is annoyed at it yet.

Acapelli
12-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Consider the scene from season one where Van Alden is whipping himself. Okay, he's a sado-masochist. Is that important? Don't we already know he's bat-shit crazy from previous scenes? So why is that important in any way? I mean, I like the scene, but I don't see how it's that important/necessary.
he wasn't whipping himself to get some kind of pleasure out of it, at least that's not the way i saw it. i thought he was executing some kind of religious penance

anyway, the only thing that made me happy to see jimmy get killed is that we'd never have to suffer through some "jimmy's heroin addiction" storyline, which i thought for sure was coming

Morris Schæffer
12-29-2011, 07:34 AM
I hadn't seen that ending coming although, by its very nature, tv shows must have some cliffhangery shit going on. So to be clear, it's still Eli that's the rotten apple here right? Jimmy was genuinely meaning to make amends with Nuck?

Qrazy
12-29-2011, 01:57 PM
I hadn't seen that ending coming although, by its very nature, tv shows must have some cliffhangery shit going on. So to be clear, it's still Eli that's the rotten apple here right? Jimmy was genuinely meaning to make amends with Nuck?

Yes, Eli will be trouble down the road and my guess is will tell Nuck that he was wrong about Jimmy at some point (when Eli gets his comeuppance) which will probably crush Nuck somewhat.

amberlita
12-30-2011, 03:56 AM
Yes, Eli will be trouble down the road and my guess is will tell Nuck that he was wrong about Jimmy at some point (when Eli gets his comeuppance) which will probably crush Nuck somewhat.

But it's not that simple is it? I don't believe Nucky killed Jimmy because he didn't think Jimmy genuinely wanted to patch things up. He killed him because no matter how you slice it, Jimmy betrayed him this season and he couldn't let that go. The trouble is that so did Eli and Nucky will be pissed that he believed Eli when he said he had nothing to do with the attempt on Nucky's life. He may regret killing Jimmy down the line for other reasons but they both lied to him in a way. Jimmy may have tried to avoid the assassination attempt at one or two points but ultimately he did give the go and Eli pushed for the decision.

Unless I'm recalling events incorrectly. I admit I didn't see every single episode.

Qrazy
12-30-2011, 04:33 AM
But it's not that simple is it? I don't believe Nucky killed Jimmy because he didn't think Jimmy genuinely wanted to patch things up. He killed him because no matter how you slice it, Jimmy betrayed him this season and he couldn't let that go. The trouble is that so did Eli and Nucky will be pissed that he believed Eli when he said he had nothing to do with the attempt on Nucky's life. He may regret killing Jimmy down the line for other reasons but they both lied to him in a way. Jimmy may have tried to avoid the assassination attempt at one or two points but ultimately he did give the go and Eli pushed for the decision.

Unless I'm recalling events incorrectly. I admit I didn't see every single episode.

I don't think that Nucky did think Jimmy genuinely wanted to patch things up. I think he bought Eli's lie. And the reason he bought it is because of the core beliefs he tells himself he believes... family first, always. Eli is his blood brother while Jimmy is just a sort of semi-adopted son. It was easier for him to accept Eli's lie than to accept Jimmy's honesty.

Eli suggested the decision. Jimmy didn't want to but did go along with it.

Grouchy
12-30-2011, 04:40 AM
Prior to showing us Jimmy slept with his mom, Jimmy didn't seem to be playing into her unhealthy obsession with him. But it turns out he slept with her, and they're both weirdos, so I can't relate to him as a character anymore.
Why?

So that's where my frustration comes from. The relationships on that show are just too fuckin' weird for me to handle.
That's a subjective reaction and I can understand it if not share it.

I think a lot of the crazy shit that you complain about comes from a historical perspective the show takes which focuses on the asexual and religious education the characters have because of the time period they grew up with. The writers are attempting to show how the characters don't understand their own sexual feelings. And, in that context, I think that bastard children, being married to a lesbian (or at least a woman who experiments with lesbianism) or having an Oedipal relationship are not completely incredible events.

Mr. Pink
01-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Why?

Just the obvious reason. If I knew him in real life, that would definitely be the friendship deal-breaker for me. You know, not counting the murdering people and stuff.

That's a subjective reaction and I can understand it if not share it.

I think a lot of the crazy shit that you complain about comes from a historical perspective the show takes which focuses on the asexual and religious education the characters have because of the time period they grew up with. The writers are attempting to show how the characters don't understand their own sexual feelings. And, in that context, I think that bastard children, being married to a lesbian (or at least a woman who experiments with lesbianism) or having an Oedipal relationship are not completely incredible events.

That's what bugs me about the show. It seems like they are using the time period as an excuse to cram all these dysfunctional relationships into the same small group of characters just for the hell of it. Those sorts of things aren't exclusive to that time period, so they're not as interesting as I think the writers think they are.

They definitely aren't incredible events, but the show comes off a bit phony for me, since I can't imagine any group of people that closely related with that many varied psychological problems/dysfunctional relationships. Or, rather, I'd prefer they didn't focus on it so much. A little is okay, but this show goes overboard with them. It's really just not that interesting, either way.

Ezee E
02-24-2012, 07:31 PM
First two episodes. Meh.

But that appears to be the consensus here.

Thirdmango
02-25-2012, 12:52 AM
I don't know if I said it here but I got up to episode 9 the other day. As long as I'm watching it I think this show is pretty good, whenever I'm not watching I forget it exists.

Lucky
08-26-2012, 01:48 AM
I'm giving this show another chance in hopes that I'll be caught up in time for the S3 premiere. Halfway through S1 right now, better than I remembered it. I like Jimmy's transformation in this episode. Reminded me of Michael Corleone's restaurant scene, but perhaps that's because I just watched The Godfather last week.

Lucky
08-28-2012, 03:12 AM
D'oh! Just read a spoiler on the last page that I wish I hadn't. You guys can't talk about sexual kinks and then throw in a spoiler box. I have no willpower.

Liking this more and more. Up to 1.9 now.

ThePlashyBubbler
09-17-2012, 05:15 AM
Solid premiere. Michael Shannon makes the most mundane of scenes super compelling.

Acapelli
09-25-2012, 06:12 PM
loved the eli and chalky stuff in this ep

"Am I interesting now?"

Morris Schæffer
10-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Season four confirmed.

Qrazy
11-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Great ep.

ThePlashyBubbler
11-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Just came to say the same thing. Michael Shannon is unbelievable.

Acapelli
11-12-2012, 05:31 PM
last night's ep was excellent

ThePlashyBubbler
11-12-2012, 09:36 PM
"Bible Camp's canceled."

slqrick
11-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Holy shit.

Qrazy
11-27-2012, 03:40 AM
They are really stepping things up. This might be the best season yet.

Acapelli
11-27-2012, 06:29 AM
http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/al-capone.gif

i fistpumped

ThePlashyBubbler
12-03-2012, 05:50 AM
Great finale, solid season.

Apparently Dennis Lehane and George Pelecanos are joining the writing staff for season 4, both did great work on the last two or three seasons of The Wire.

Morris Schæffer
12-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Wow, this Gyp Rosetti fella is a nasty fucking psycho. I love him, but I was pretty shocked by the finale of episode 10. Could season 3 be too mean-spirited? I dunno, maybe. I look forward to the final two episodes.

Morris Schæffer
01-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Amazing season. Will try to share something more tomorrow.

Sxottlan
02-11-2013, 09:44 AM
I assumed Season 3 would stay on the HBO on Demand channel for awhile, but I was dismayed to check it tonight and find the show completely missing from the list. Meanwhile, you can watch Game of Thrones and Girls in their entirety. Looks like now I'll have to rent Season 3 whenever it comes to disc. :cry:

Qrazy
11-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Michael Shannon's stupid character should have been killed off in Season One. My god his storyline is such a waste of space.

Yxklyx
03-13-2021, 04:15 AM
I watched the first episode (man is this that old already?). I like Buscemi but he's not really suited for a lead role (loved him in Trees Lounge). His voice is always the same. I mean he speaks with the same tone no matter if it's comedy/drama/documentary.