PDA

View Full Version : The Karate Kid (brought to you by Mr. Will Smith)

Sycophant
12-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Apparently, Will Smith wants Stephen Chow to direct, produce, and be in (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-12/08/content_7219114.htm) his Karate Kid remake. :eek:

number8
12-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Will Smith has seen CJ7? That asshole!

Kurosawa Fan
01-08-2010, 04:26 PM
I know we've talked about this movie more recently than two years ago, but this was the only thread I could find. Anyway, here's the trailer (http://www.hulu.com/watch/119404/movie-trailers-the-karate-kid). Definitely not a remake. Definitely not good. And can I express how much I hate the song in that trailer? Man it's awful, and soooooo overused.

Dukefrukem
01-08-2010, 04:45 PM
It doesn't look THAT bad. It looks like a kids movie.

MadMan
01-10-2010, 06:39 AM
Jackie Chan is a giant plus. Will this remake actually be decent? Maybe. Its not like the original was a great film, anyways, although I like it a lot.

megladon8
03-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Just watched the trailer out of pure boredom.

Will Smith's kid is an awful actor.

soitgoes...
03-09-2010, 11:51 AM
I think it's amusing that the Karate Kid does kung fu not karate. :rolleyes:

Skitch
03-09-2010, 12:06 PM
I think it's amusing that the Karate Kid does kung fu not karate. :rolleyes:

And isn't Karate of Japanese origin? And they're in China, being taught by a Chinese guy?

number8
03-09-2010, 02:20 PM
The movie is titled The Kung Fu Kid outside of the US.

Raiders
03-09-2010, 03:23 PM
The title is both legitimate and idiotic. It gets away with it because apparently the story is that the kid already knows karate and when he moves to China he is made fun of for doing that instead of kung fu, so he learns kung fu from Jackie Chan. It is idiotic because it is nothing but a transparent attempt to cash in on the US-ingrained nostalgia for the original.

And yeah, it looks terrible, but then again I don't even like the original very much.

Skitch
03-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Ah, well that makes more sense.

I don't think I would be so fiercely opposed to this if it wasn't that terrible Smith kid. He is just awful.

bac0n
03-10-2010, 03:51 AM
The title is both legitimate and idiotic. It gets away with it because apparently the story is that the kid already knows karate and when he moves to China he is made fun of for doing that instead of kung fu, so he learns kung fu from Jackie Chan. It is idiotic because it is nothing but a transparent attempt to cash in on the US-ingrained nostalgia for the original.

And yeah, it looks terrible, but then again I don't even like the original very much.

Sounds in a way like Fist of Legend for kids. ;)

Spun Lepton
03-10-2010, 04:08 AM
The title is both legitimate and idiotic. It gets away with it because apparently the story is that the kid already knows karate and when he moves to China he is made fun of for --

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I've heard enough. Suck x10.

bac0n
03-10-2010, 02:36 PM
What would be funny awesome is, kid who knows karate goes to China and is made fun of by all the Kung Fu kids. A group of them surround karate kid to beat him up. Now, we know that, according to the Law of Bruce, that when a group of evil kung fu masters attacks someone en masse, only one of them can engage the victim at a time. The rest must be shuffling back and forth doing katas and dodging at random.

So this is what happens first day of school. Karate Kid is attacked by a dozen kung fu bullies, who surround him, and one-by-one, he shoryukens the ever loving shit out of them. He then finds Chun-Li on the jungle gym and totally makes out with her. Roll credits.

number8
03-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Or he can just pull out a gun and shit gets real.

bac0n
03-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Or he can just pull out a gun and shit gets real.

HELL YES.

number8
03-18-2010, 05:43 PM
JdrFwikfJNk

number8
06-08-2010, 04:54 AM
Yeah. Saw this tonight.

There is zero explanation for the title. He does not know karate.

Ezee E
06-08-2010, 04:59 AM
Which one bombs? This or A-Team?

D_Davis
06-08-2010, 05:49 AM
Yeah. Saw this tonight.

There is zero explanation for the title. He does not know karate.

That's what I was wondering. Doesn't he learn some kind of Kung Fu?

D_Davis
06-08-2010, 05:51 AM
JdrFwikfJNk

"Drop Him."

LOL!11!1

Watashi
06-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Is there any reason for this movie to be 140 minutes?

Derek
06-08-2010, 08:16 AM

To present the audience with an overload of Will Smith's annoying little kid, so that when you see him in 90-minute film later on, he's suddenly not as annoying.

Dead & Messed Up
06-08-2010, 08:27 AM
I can't wait for every single review to insult the movie's complete lack of karate. It's so goddamn stupid.

number8
06-08-2010, 12:32 PM

I wondered this too. To its credit, I didn't realize it was that long until I walked out and checked the time.

The story is practically identical to the original. All the same plot points. But they really took their time with setting up his "fish out of water"-ness in China, then his budding relationship with Jackie Chan, and his training, the romance with the Chinese girl is actually given a lot of time to develop, and then I think there's a good 30 minutes set aside at the end just for the tournament.

number8
06-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Also, neat Michelle Yeoh cameo.

Wryan
06-08-2010, 12:56 PM
They should have just gone way overboard: kids knows karate, gets made fun of for not knowing "real" kung fu, Jackie promises to teach him, actually teaches him judo, goes to tournament, wins tournament with a masterful and unfathomable display of capoeira.

number8
06-08-2010, 01:32 PM
They should have just gone way overboard: kids knows karate, gets made fun of for not knowing "real" kung fu, Jackie promises to teach him, actually teaches him judo, goes to tournament, wins tournament with a masterful and unfathomable display of capoeira.

Funny you say that...

Kid actually tells him during training that he knows some Brazilian jiu jitsu and capoeira, then demonstrates some flips. Later in the tournament, he wins using some capoeira moves.

I'm not joking.

Fezzik
06-08-2010, 01:48 PM
I wondered this too. To its credit, I didn't realize it was that long until I walked out and checked the time.

The story is practically identical to the original. All the same plot points. But they really took their time with setting up his "fish out of water"-ness in China, then his budding relationship with Jackie Chan, and his training, the romance with the Chinese girl is actually given a lot of time to develop, and then I think there's a good 30 minutes set aside at the end just for the tournament.

Question is, though...

Was it worth seeing? Sounds like from your words it wasnt terrible.

And Chan looks more intense in the trailer than I've seen him in a long time. Did that carry over to the entire movie?

(And yes, no mention of karate in the entire film is the most ridiculous thing)

Wryan
06-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Funny you say that...

Kid actually tells him during training that he knows some Brazilian jiu jitsu and capoeira, then demonstrates some flips. Later in the tournament, he wins using some capoeira moves.

I'm not joking.

/look of disappoint

Grouchy
06-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Question is, though...

Was it worth seeing? Sounds like from your words it wasnt terrible.
Well, I haven't seen it (the remake, I mean), but if you've already seen Karate Kid, and chances are that you have, why bother?

Fezzik
06-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Well, I haven't seen it (the remake, I mean), but if you've already seen Karate Kid, and chances are that you have, why bother?

Honestly, I want to see it for Chan.

D_Davis
06-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Technically, Karate could be a form of Kung Fu. A Fu is just a mastery of something - Cooking Fu - so someone could have Karate Fu. There were Karate masters in Japan and Korea. But it's still stupid and displays the West's complete lack of knowledge on Asian cultures. WTF did they set the film in China? Why not Japan? It really doesn't make a lick of sense.

Spinal
06-11-2010, 02:55 AM
I think there's a good 30 minutes set aside at the end just for the tournament.

I watched the original with my son recently and I was surprised at how poorly it is paced. Despite the tournament being a memorable finale, they really rush through it. Johnny's character shift is particularly abrupt and the mom disappears completely. I think the original succeeds because of the charisma of the lead actors. The direction is really not great. So, while I cannot say this remake interests me, I applaud them for giving the tournament some time to breathe.

Qrazy
06-11-2010, 02:57 AM
The New Karate Kid with Hilary Swank was on TV the other day. I watched 15 minutes of it.

Heidi
06-11-2010, 06:27 AM
i still have a crush on ralph macchio.

http://titicadegalinha.files.wordpres s.com/2009/06/ralph_macchio_jovem.jpg

MadMan
06-11-2010, 07:08 AM
After viewing the trailers, I will be seeing this in theaters. My original comments still stand, btw.

Philosophe_rouge
06-11-2010, 07:09 AM
The length of this movie is enough for me to skip it. A-Team here I come!

MadMan
06-11-2010, 07:16 AM
The length of this movie is enough for me to skip it. A-Team here I come!I think that A-Team will be better, but length of a movie is never a reason to skip it unless it feels un-neccessary, aka, Robin Hood. God that was a movie that could have been cut down to an 1hr 40 and the rating would have been the same, or maybe a bit better.

Winston*
06-11-2010, 07:19 AM
The length of a movie is a great reason to skip it, especially if that movie is The Karate Kid, Madman.

Derek
06-11-2010, 07:20 AM
I think that A-Team will be better, but length of a movie is never a reason to skip it unless it feels un-neccessary, aka, Robin Hood. God that was a movie that could have been cut down to an 1hr 40 and the rating would have been the same, or maybe a bit better.

But The Karate Kid starring Will Smith's annoying little kid at 2 hours and 20 minutes seems necessary??

Winston*
06-11-2010, 07:21 AM
I beat you, Derek. I am the Jaden Smith of posting.

Derek
06-11-2010, 07:26 AM
I beat you, Derek. I am the Jaden Smith of posting.

I would be very pleased if MatchCut as a site would agree to refer to him as simply "Will Smith's annoying little kid" until he goes away.

MadMan
06-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Bah to both of you. I'm going to see the damn movie, no matter what.

Winston*
06-11-2010, 07:39 AM

No offence MadMan, but I think its hilarious that you are so wishy-washy on whether you'll ever see so many classic movies, but nothing in the world is going to stop you seeing the remake of The Karate Kid.

Spinal
06-11-2010, 07:46 AM

What if I sweep your leg?

Dead & Messed Up
06-11-2010, 08:12 AM
No offence MadMan, but I think its hilarious that you are so wishy-washy on whether you'll ever see so many classic movies, but nothing in the world is going to stop you seeing the remake of The Karate Kid.

Seeing modern blockbuster films can be a social event. It's a little tougher to pull that trick with older, classic flicks. That's the only reasoning I could understand.

I love watching classic films. They're cheap entertainment.

Fezzik
06-11-2010, 12:09 PM
What if I sweep your leg?

He'll probably crane kick you in the FACE!

I'm going to be seeing this too. Something about it just intrigues me. And the A*Team too. Hopefully, I'll get to see both before I leave on my trip next week.

Ezee E
06-11-2010, 02:43 PM
I do like that everyone refers to the son as simply "Will Smith's son" or even "Will Smith's annoying son." Wonder how long that'll work for him.

Spinal
06-11-2010, 04:18 PM
He'll probably crane kick you in the FACE!

Yeah, as someone who knows nothing about karate, it's really confusing why some of those moves are legal and some aren't.

number8
06-11-2010, 05:07 PM
http://www.justpressplay.net/movie-reviews/40-reviews/6702-the-karate-kid.html

Raiders
06-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Yeah, as someone who knows nothing about karate, it's really confusing why some of those moves are legal and some aren't.

Probably the same reason face-masking and horse-collaring are illegal tackles in the NFL.

number8
06-11-2010, 05:17 PM
By the way, the original Karate Kid is 126 minutes. So it's really only 14 minutes longer.

MadMan
06-11-2010, 05:18 PM
What if I sweep your leg?I'd hobble to the theater.

No offence MadMan, but I think its hilarious that you are so wishy-washy on whether you'll ever see so many classic movies, but nothing in the world is going to stop you seeing the remake of The Karate Kid.I watch plenty of classic films-in fact, I've rented both Z and Bigger Than Life, and I'm going to view both this weekend. Plus I recently viewed The Killer and Wings of Desire, both which can be considered classics, although they were made in the 80s, so oh noes maybe they're too recent....:P

I'll have my cake and eat it too, damnit.

Philosophe_rouge
06-11-2010, 05:27 PM
By the way, the original Karate Kid is 126 minutes. So it's really only 14 minutes longer.

I didn't see the original too. And right now, I'm going to say it's because it was too long as well.

I think that A-Team will be better, but length of a movie is never a reason to skip it unless it feels un-neccessary, aka, Robin Hood. God that was a movie that could have been cut down to an 1hr 40 and the rating would have been the same, or maybe a bit better.
I think most movies longer than an hour and thirty minutes have a significant amount of extra fat that could be trimmed off. I skip over many films, especially ones I know that there is a slim chance that I'll like, let alone adore for years to come.

balmakboor
06-13-2010, 02:57 AM
I'll chime in. My daughter and I just saw this and absolutely loved it. I think a good way to measure the success of a formulaic picture like this is by how much you can't wait to watch all the things you know are coming. I couldn't wait for the big showdown.

Also, the romance element was beautifully handled and Jackie Chan is terrific. I'd love to see him get a supporting actor nom for this.

eternity
06-13-2010, 08:19 AM
That was fucking hilarious.

balmakboor
06-13-2010, 12:43 PM
That was fucking hilarious.

What did you do? Look in the mirror?

eternity
06-13-2010, 10:08 PM
What did you do? Look in the mirror?
It was like watching The Star Wars Kid. Just a complete riot.

Morris Schæffer
09-26-2010, 06:32 PM
A lot of negativism in this thread, and I'm not sure how many did see it, but I've gotta say this was one of the best crowdpleasers of the year. Better than yer Iron Man's and most certainly more engaging than the A-Team. Although it could have been shorter, I really had no issues with the length and the kid was actually not even close to being annoying. Wonderful scenery, there was an authenticity to this movie that I hadn't expected. Sure, I knew exactly where this movie was headed - because it's formula and because I have seen the original (which I really like) - but gosh it felt like a real adventure, genuine, populated by something approaching real people. And I think Chan does more acting in this than in his past ten movies put together.

MadMan
09-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Heh I still haven't seen this. Oh well.

And Davis the answer to your question about why this is set in China is rather simple: to appeal to that rather large Chinese movie viewing base that will result in more money for the movie.

Mysterious Dude
09-26-2010, 10:37 PM
I saw this.

I'm pretty sure you can't learn Kung Fu that way.

Derek
09-26-2010, 11:52 PM

Heh I still haven't seen this. Oh well.

You underestimate the power of your laziness Madman. It has grown a life of its own.

and the kid was actually not even close to being annoying.

To be fair, I'm only basing my opinion that he's annoying on the multiple talk show appearances and awards presentations I've seen him on along with the few scenes of Pursuit of Happyness and multiple trailers of Karate Kid I've seen him in. I'm glad he took on a non-annoying persona in this film.

Mysterious Dude
09-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Jaden Smith was my least favorite thing about the movie. I feel like he spends most of the movie trying to convince me of how cool he is. His persona is very reminiscent of his father, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since he's supposed to be kind of a loser (I never doubted Ralph Macchio). It also seems like the movie exists to showcase his various talents, so we get a few pointless dance moments thrown in. Hey, you can dance, and you know kung fu. But you can't act, kiddo!

I liked Jackie Chan, though. Especially the scene where he beats up a bunch of middle schoolers. Oddly enough, I think this is the first movie of his I've ever seen. I think the wise/old guy character suits him.

number8
09-27-2010, 01:03 AM
Here's what I wrote.

Jackie Chan's Mr. Han is not as rounded a character as Miyagi. There's a missing sense of grace and joviality that are replaced with a pretty one-note somberness, and his tragic past doesn't hold the same weight as Miyagi's, but Chan delivers that character as best as it can be played. During his obligatory breakdown, though the sad monologue comes out lukewarm, the resolution of that scene, how Dre invites him to mend their sorrows together using kung fu, is pretty enlightening. Jaden Smith is obviously being groomed to be a leading man by his dad. At 12, he's already showing signs of the same Smith swagger, though not the comic timing (most of the jokes involving him fall pretty flat). So if you're one of those people who find Will Smith annoying, here's a tween version of him.

lovejuice
07-11-2011, 12:24 AM
I caught it on television. It's charming. They do take time building up the characters, the conflicts, and the environment. Most surprisingly the romance is cute, sincere and precocious in a good way. Watched in comparison to the original, this remake conveys a nice feeling of reverse colonialism.

However, comes second half, the movie feels rush. Conflict after conflict and resolution after resolution are piled upon the audience. (Minor spoiler: the most ridiculous moment is right after the girl tells Jaden Smith they can't be friends. The film-makers then feel compelled to remind us of another Kung Fu conflict.) This might not be too big of a letdown if the setup is not so expertly done.

This is a kind of movie I always criticize by saying -- hand-wavingly -- it takes itself too serious. During the setup Karate Kid takes itself very serious, and it pays off. But the movie cannot match the challenge it brings upon itself, so the seam unfortunately falls apart.

elixir
07-11-2011, 08:10 AM
The most ridiculous moment for me is at the beginning, when we see the camera move towards a point on the wall where Jaden wrote his height when his dad died. WTF? Uh, my dad just died, I think I'll measure my height now?