PDA

View Full Version : White Collar

Kurosawa Fan
10-29-2009, 01:14 PM
My wife and I watched White Collar after the urging of my sister. It actually seems like it could be an enjoyable show. Very breezy and fun. It has an interesting mystery that will help it avoid the repetitive "episode-of-the-week" format, so long as it's done right. It's definitely worth checking out though. The one-hour pilot is on Hulu.

[ETM]
10-29-2009, 06:33 PM
White Collar is indeed lots of fun. I can ignore Thiessen.

Kurosawa Fan
11-10-2009, 06:32 PM
I've been pretty disappointed with the second and third episodes of White Collar. It seems to have misplaced that snappy fun spirit, and instead feels kind of sluggish and rote.

Mara
11-10-2009, 06:39 PM
In other news, I've been pretty disappointed with the second and third episodes of White Collar. It seems to have misplaced that snappy fun spirit, and instead feels kind of sluggish and rote.

Neal still has pretty eyes, so I'm sticking around for a bit.

But this last episode-- I can't remember the name, so I shall call it "Man of Science, Man of Faith"-- was completely misplaced. This is the sort of episode that needs to take place a couple of seasons in, once we know these characters really well and want to peel back the onion. We simply don't care about them enough yet.

I'm still interested, but I want some foundation-building, stat.

All that said, Ms. Theissen is preggers in real life, so I wonder if they'll write that into the show. Or, tragically, kill her off.

Raiders
11-14-2009, 03:05 AM
That was a great episode of "White Collar." More like the first episode's comedic, charming flow. Not that happy they are already doing "personal plots," but still very entertaining. And for all of Bomer's charm, I have to admit I think DeKay is the bigger draw for me. His bemused seriousness (a nonsensical oxymoron I know, but it fits so well) is wonderful and it carries the show almost as good as Fillion's bemused cockiness on "Castle."

Mara
11-16-2009, 05:08 PM
That was a great episode of "White Collar." More like the first episode's comedic, charming flow. Not that happy they are already doing "personal plots," but still very entertaining. And for all of Bomer's charm, I have to admit I think DeKay is the bigger draw for me. His bemused seriousness (a nonsensical oxymoron I know, but it fits so well) is wonderful and it carries the show almost as good as Fillion's bemused cockiness on "Castle."

HAAHAHA WOMEN and their SCARY SCARY CRYING, amiright?

Other than that, fairly charming episode. The two leads have good chemistry, and are quite likeable individually.

Mara
11-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Hm. So. White Collar might be becoming a bit of a guilty pleasure. The storylines are so silly.

But the main characters are charming. I'm torn.

Raiders
11-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Hm. So. White Collar might be becoming a bit of a guilty pleasure. The storylines are so silly.

It's a standard-issue USA network show. Charming characters, moderately free-wheeling style, occasional great one-liners and a show-to-show template that is there only to accentuate the charm and to negate any of the actual drama. I love it. I think Burn Notice is still the best they've made.

I have tried most all of them. I really like/love Burn Notice, enjoy White Collar and In Plain Sight, occasionally watch Monk and Psych and can't stand Royal Pains.

[ETM]
11-23-2009, 08:47 PM

I've introduced my girlfriend to it and we enjoy watching it together. I'm loving the return of "relaxed" shows, after a decade of "gritty" as the main guideline. Shows like "White Collar", "Castle" and "Leverage" are all enjoyable in their own way, sort of "no strings attached" fun.

Raiders
12-06-2009, 04:09 AM
I would LOVE if "White Collar" ran with the implication of the final twist. It may make much of the first half of this season a big con, so to speak, but I think it could really go in some interesting directions regarding character motives and layers of personality so intrinsic to the show.

Mara
12-06-2009, 01:11 PM
I would LOVE if "White Collar" ran with the implication of the final twist. It may make much of the first half of this season a big con, so to speak, but I think it could really go in some interesting directions regarding character motives and layers of personality so intrinsic to the show.

I'm not a fan.

I'm fine with him having some layers and being more deceptive than we've come to expect, but I really like the partnership, the "buddy" thing we have going. It's rung the most true thing for me in a show that banks on implausability. To undermine that is a serious thing.

What I am sure they'll do is have it that Kate is the actual con artist trying to get Neal's stuff, and she's using the FBI guy as a smokescreen.

Kurosawa Fan
12-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Decided to make a thread for this show, as I know there are quite a few who are watching it and I'd like a place to discuss where posts don't get lost in the shuffle of the TV Discussion Thread.

Anyway, did not care for the twist at the end of the fall run at all. I'm sure it's not what it seems, and that things will turn out okay and the show will continue like normal, but boy howdy was I ticked off when that light turned on.

What were other's reactions?

Kurosawa Fan
12-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Did my best to move posts dealing only with White Collar to the thread. It's a bit messy, but whatever. Deal with it people.

Mara
12-15-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm skeptical of the twist. I guess we'll see how it turns out. Just didn't work for me, given the tone of the show.

What next? Castle killed Bennet's mom? :|

Kurosawa Fan
12-15-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm skeptical of the twist. I guess we'll see how it turns out. Just didn't work for me, given the tone of the show.

Exactly. It reeked of "Here's a twist whose only purpose is to trick the audience, logic and reason be damned!", which is disappointing coming from a show that has spent its entire run thus far establishing a light and airy tone.

[ETM]
12-15-2009, 06:07 PM

:|

You should be careful with these things. You never know who might be getting ideas from here.

Raiders
12-15-2009, 06:29 PM
I still think it would be great to see them run with the idea of Peter as a villain, or at least as a manipulative figure, but of course I know it won't happen so it makes the final twist rather disappointing because it will just inevitably lead to a reversal of what it appears to be (just PLEASE don't make it Neal's dream).

Though apparently the tweets from the show's creator indicating the original intent may have actually been to make Peter a darker character are intriguing, but there are also the rumors the show's direction is going to be somewhat overhauled based on fan reaction, so who the heck knows...

Anyway, the show has earned my interest enough to keep going when it picks up again, namely because of its light tone and DeKay's performance.

[ETM]
01-27-2010, 03:49 PM
White Collar is getting more and more fun. I think this was perhaps my favorite episode so far. I can't believe it took this long for someone to make an interesting cop show where no one gets killed. In fact, I can't even remember the last one.

Mara
01-27-2010, 04:49 PM
I guess we're just pretending wifey ain't preggers?

/only halfway through

Raiders
01-27-2010, 04:52 PM
;236921']White Collar is getting more and more fun. I think this was perhaps my favorite episode so far. I can't believe it took this long for someone to make an interesting cop show where no one gets killed. In fact, I can't even remember the last one.

It is a fun show, therefore I keep watching, but this Kate crap is starting to annoy me. Particularly how every clue Neil finds he keeps from Peter only to eventually give it up so Peter can help. Glad to see hopefully Fowler is gone for a while.

Mara
01-27-2010, 04:52 PM
WOOOOOOoooooOOOOOO Magic!

Mara
01-27-2010, 04:55 PM
It bothers me that Kate is, like, 22. Did they start dating when she was in middle school?

Raiders
01-27-2010, 05:01 PM
It bothers me that Kate is, like, 22. Did they start dating when she was in middle school?

... huh. I figured she was in her upper 20s. That is kind of creepy. He was locked up almost four years, right?

I can only guess the character is older than the actress.

Mara
01-27-2010, 05:12 PM
I can only guess the character is older than the actress.

I'm sure you're right. I'll pretend she's 29 for my peace of mind.

Finished. Pretty solid. Great interplay between the leads.

Very annoyed by the extended "FORD: cars with gadgets!" commercial in the middle there, but whatever pays the bills, I guess.

I'm liking wifey a bit more as time goes on.

Kurosawa Fan
01-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Finished. Pretty solid. Great interplay between the leads.

Very annoyed by the extended "FORD: cars with gadgets!" commercial in the middle there, but whatever pays the bills, I guess.

I'm liking wifey a bit more as time goes on.

I'm in agreement with everything you stated, aside from that last comment. Everyone on the show works well together, and I like what they did with Peter, even if it was a cheap "twist", but I still can't stand the wife. She is such a one-note, posturing character, and Theissen does nothing to elevate the material, choosing (though maybe it's not a choice, she may just not be very talented) to stay stagnant. The essence of bland.

Mara
02-04-2010, 12:22 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/whitecollar110-killmotion1271.jpg

White Collar was perfectly charming again. Glad to see we're not going to get mired down by silly things like "entrapment."

I don't think Matthew Bomer has ever been turned down for sex. Ever.

[ETM]
02-04-2010, 12:40 AM
You know, I was thinking of posting that same image.:lol: It's awesome.
And technically - Caffrey entrapped by himself. The rest is a grey area.:D

As for Bomer - I dunno, perhaps if he flirted with a straight guy by mistake?

Mara
02-04-2010, 01:16 AM
;239230']
As for Bomer - I dunno, perhaps if he flirted with a straight guy by mistake?

Wouldn't matter. He'd be like, "Hey, Budo, want some sex?" and you'd be like, "Sorry, man, but I'm a straight guy with a beautiful girlfriend, so it can only be this once."

Mara
02-04-2010, 01:22 AM
I KEEP FORGETTING this has its own thread. Sorry! Thanks for moving me, magic forum gnomes!

Mara
02-04-2010, 01:27 AM
And my second favorite moment of the episode:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/whitecollar110-killmotion1010.jpg

Yay.

Raiders
02-04-2010, 01:29 AM
The look on Neal's face when the woman started flirting with Peter was hilarious.

[ETM]
02-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Wouldn't matter. He'd be like, "Hey, Budo, want some sex?" and you'd be like, "Sorry, man, but I'm a straight guy with a beautiful girlfriend, so it can only be this once."

:lol::lol:

Also, "You haven't flirted in this century?!" had me rolling.

Raiders
02-24-2010, 03:46 PM
The show is never less than moderately entertaining, but it isn't straying from this comfort zone at all. I'm not sure how, but they really need to shake things up a bit. And I don't mean putting Neal in supposedly life-threatening situations (will he survive?!?)...

On the flip side, USA's Psych is really winning me over. I may need to go back and watch the previous seasons. The network certainly does have a handle on charming television.

[ETM]
02-24-2010, 05:19 PM
The show is never less than moderately entertaining, but it isn't straying from this comfort zone at all. I'm not sure how, but they really need to shake things up a bit. And I don't mean putting Neal in supposedly life-threatening situations (will he survive?!?)...

It's a dangerous thing in itself, as it most often backfires. A part of me likes the comfort zone and enjoys the cleverness of the plots and the chemistry between all characters, but I definitely agree that it could use a proper shake-up. Let's see where they're going with the music box plot line.

Mara
02-24-2010, 07:29 PM
The looped dialogue on this show is SO BAD. It sounds like they did it on a laptop. It's been bothering me for several episodes.

Mara
03-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Looping: Still Bad.

Shirtless Man Candy: Very good.

Integrated Ford Commerical: Unforgivably bad.

Return of that girl who was Naomi on Lost: Good.

Neal pulling off an impressive multi-step caper: Very good.

The fact that Diahann Carroll is 74 years old: Incredible.

Twisty Surprise Ending: ....?

[ETM]
03-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Kate continues to be the weak spot of the entire show.

I hope she is indeed dead, but I fear we're not so lucky.

But a good finale and season overall. A breath of fresh air in today's television.

Raiders
03-11-2010, 07:49 PM
I liked the finale, but Fowler is getting annoying.

But really, I can't remember much about this after the mind-bendingly awesome Psych finale last night.

[ETM]
03-11-2010, 07:52 PM
I liked the finale, but Fowler is getting annoying.

God, yes. I can't stand the actor at all. I hated his guts even in The Truman Show.

Mara
03-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Aw, man, I didn't realize that was the finale.

Mara
07-03-2010, 01:28 AM
HOW DID I NOT REALIZE THAT THE NEW SEASON STARTS JULY 13TH? That's in 11 days! It was poorly advertised and now it's going to get bad ratings. :sad:

[ETM]
07-03-2010, 01:47 AM
That's in 11 days! It was poorly advertised and now it's going to get bad ratings. :sad:

It's unlikely that USA will give up on it that quickly. It has been a successful show both with critics and audiences, and generated positive buzz for them (Bomer was part of that group interview with leading men such as Cranston, Skarsgard, Fox, Hamm... and Romano) and they're pushing it, among other things, for Emmys: http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/2010/06/usa-network-emmys-emmy-awards-ice-cream-tv-news.html

http://goldderby.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c2c4f53ef0133f118fbb7 970b-pi

Raiders
07-12-2010, 02:43 PM
HOW DID I NOT REALIZE THAT THE NEW SEASON STARTS JULY 13TH? That's in 11 days! It was poorly advertised and now it's going to get bad ratings. :sad:

Not for people who watch USA. I have seen at least a dozen ads in the past couple weeks. I have known about its upcoming new season start date for a while.

Raiders
07-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Decent, though a little too much angst and not enough charisma. Also, I'm guessing the scene with Peter and his wife was filmed with her on almost maternity leave or something, because this show is filmed in NYC and they were definitely not really at the Rockefeller center. That was really distracting.

[ETM]
07-14-2010, 02:52 PM
It was fun. I like what they're doing with Moz, he's great with Burke. Good cliffhanger, too.

Raiders
07-14-2010, 03:15 PM
I also would like to say:

Natalie Morales > Marsha Thomason

[ETM]
07-14-2010, 04:06 PM
In what way? Looks? Morales is not really my type. I like Thomason, though.

Mara
07-19-2010, 02:42 AM
Charming, as always, and Bomer has a serious case of the handsomes. Glad Neal's landlady is still around-- I really like her as a minor character.

Mara
07-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Yep. Still fun.

I think those terrible green-screens with Tiffany Amber are done from her hospital bed or some crap, because they all look awful.

Also, what is that song that was playing on the radio that Mozzie set up? I recognize it but I can't remember the name.

[ETM]
07-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Yep. Still fun.

I think it's even more fun, actually. Even though it's still a procedural underneath, I like how it seems that the characters and their interaction are coming more and more to the forefront and that they're way more serious about serializing "the big picture" this season.

Mara
08-25-2010, 04:53 PM
What a perfectly obnoxious episode. Shallow, obvious, and tired.

I can barely sit through car commercials that are only 30 seconds long.

Irish
09-09-2010, 02:14 PM
I know it's not the end, but I did enjoy the cliffhanging shocker at the end of this week's episode.

Raiders
09-09-2010, 11:38 PM
I know it's not the end, but I did enjoy the cliffhanging shocker at the end of this week's episode.

Yeah, it has been a very up-and-down season... too much angst and shoe-horned Tiffani Thiessen scenes... but I still enjoyed it overall.

Irish
09-10-2010, 01:31 AM
Yeah, it has been a very up-and-down season... too much angst and shoe-horned Tiffani Thiessen scenes... but I still enjoyed it overall.

Heh, yeah. I haven't seen someone get the hook from offstage quite they way they seem to be giving Thiessen the heave-ho.

I find the stuff with the music box and the old girlfriend a bore, but then I'm never a fan of 'big conspiracy' plots that arch over entire television seasons.

Mara
09-10-2010, 01:55 AM
This week was better, but this season has been annoying me a little bit.

Raiders
09-10-2010, 03:18 AM
Heh, yeah. I haven't seen someone get the hook from offstage quite they way they seem to be giving Thiessen the heave-ho.

Well, I don't think that's it. She was preggers during the filming of those episodes. I suspect she'll have more screen time in the second half of the season, which is good that it'll be less awkward and bad that she is rather useless on the show.

[ETM]
09-11-2010, 08:48 PM
What a perfectly obnoxious episode. Shallow, obvious, and tired.

Yeah, not the best episode but I didn't hate it either.

I can barely sit through car commercials that are only 30 seconds long.

Car commercial? Those are all models that are at least a few years old and modern classics. I guess they either got a good deal from some dealer, someone gave them the cars to use, or the writer is a car aficionado. Didn't bother me at all.

Okay, off to episode 8...

Mara
09-11-2010, 11:47 PM
;287162']Car commercial? Those are all models that are at least a few years old and modern classics. I guess they either got a good deal from some dealer, someone gave them the cars to use, or the writer is a car aficionado. Didn't bother me at all.

Okay, off to episode 8...

I miss when the show was about art thieves.

But that "car one" was the only episode of the season I've actively disliked.

[ETM]
09-12-2010, 12:01 AM
I miss when the show was about art thieves.

White collar crimes cover a wide variety of stuff, they can't stay in the "arts rut" forever.:lol: And from what I remember, it wasn't about the cars at all.

But damn, was the ending of 2x9 heartbreaking or what?

Mara
09-12-2010, 12:50 AM
;287213']
But damn, was the ending of 2x9 heartbreaking or what?

It was very well-shot, but I didn't believe for a second they'd let him die, so I didn't have too powerful of an emotional reaction.

[ETM]
09-12-2010, 01:07 AM
It was very well-shot, but I didn't believe for a second they'd let him die, so I didn't have too powerful of an emotional reaction.

I don't know, we've certainly seen people come back from such wounds on TV (Justified is a good example) but I dunno... :|

Irish
09-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Well, I don't think that's it. She was preggers during the filming of those episodes. I suspect she'll have more screen time in the second half of the season, which is good that it'll be less awkward and bad that she is rather useless on the show.

Ahhhh that explains a lot. I thought she was getting the heave-ho, because like you, the writers realized her character serves little purpose.

Mara
01-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Superfun goodtimes. Silly, of course, almost verging on campy, but I can't pretend I'm not having fun.

Raiders
01-20-2011, 03:45 AM
Superfun goodtimes. Silly, of course, almost verging on campy, but I can't pretend I'm not having fun.

Yeah, the charm of this show is just too much. I couldn't give two shits about blah blah Kate blah blah music box... the atmosphere and banter have me in a constant smile.

Thirdmango
01-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Of the USA show formula this is the second best.

Raiders
01-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Of the USA show formula this is the second best.

If the better show is Psych, then I love you. Most underrated (underwatched?) show on TV.

Mara
03-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Several annoying things:

1. T-Amber T
2. Those car commercials are getting awfully intrusive.
3. Wow, Neal wore an unflattering and ill-fitting hat for the first time.
4. How would a window A/C unit be better than central during a blackout? In either case, YOU DON'T HAVE POWER.

But one good thing: Richard Schiff. Good to see him again, and to confirm that I would still permit him to put babies inside me.

Kurosawa Fan
03-03-2011, 05:28 PM
I gave up on this. Not because I don't enjoy it, but mainly because I just don't have enough time for all the shows I was watching, and this ranked lower than most of the rest of my schedule.

Mara
03-03-2011, 05:36 PM
I gave up on this. Not because I don't enjoy it, but mainly because I just don't have enough time for all the shows I was watching, and this ranked lower than most of the rest of my schedule.

Hey, if it's a choice between this or, kids, wife, or Buffy, you're making the right choice. :lol:

But this season has been pretty charming, if you want something to catch up on over the summer.

Irish
03-03-2011, 06:23 PM
But one good thing: Richard Schiff. Good to see him again, and to confirm that I would still permit him to put babies inside me.

Okay, this part? This part right here? This part is just weird.

Mara
03-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Okay, this part? This part right here? This part is just weird.

What we have is special. You wouldn't understand it.

Irish
03-03-2011, 06:32 PM
What we have is special. You wouldn't understand it.
I don't think I want to understand it. ^^

[ETM]
03-04-2011, 12:55 AM
I don't think I want to understand it. ^^

You never know, you might enjoy that sex thing some day.

[ETM]
03-16-2011, 03:31 AM
I'm all caught up now. Nice finale, I'm looking forward to season 3.

Irish
06-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Nice touch: This week's episode features Christopher (Malcom in the Middle) and Danny (That 70s Show) Masterston, playing brothers fighting over an inheritance.

Mara
06-15-2011, 05:36 PM
And Agent Matthews was played by Anna "My Girl" Chlumsky. Looking quite nice.

[ETM]
06-23-2011, 01:37 AM
I'm not digging the new cutesy opening, but the show is just so much fun this season. And I must say - Hilarie Burton (Sarah) is a mighty fine woman. There's something... classy about her figure. I love the way they dress her character, whoever is picking those outfits has a great eye and taste.