PDA

View Full Version : The Top 50 Characters Of The Wire

Pages : [1] 2

Glass Co.
12-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Originally this was going to be a "Top 25 Moments of The Wire" thread, which quickly increased to 35, then 50, and so on. The only way I was going to get it down to a managable number was to combine the moments somehow...episodes? No, didn't fit well into the novelistic structure. Characters? Bingo.

I figure 50 was a reasonable number. There likely will be a few good characters left off, but I'm hoping all the great ones will make it in. This list should start in the next two days.

[ETM]
12-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Fitty's, like, a lot, yo. I hope you finish it.

Glass Co.
12-08-2009, 11:22 PM
;222878']Fitty's, like, a lot, yo. I hope you finish it.

I may shorten it by a bit. The next few days will tell.

Acapelli
12-09-2009, 04:47 AM
frank sobotka better be top 5

Kurosawa Fan
12-09-2009, 12:27 PM
RIDICULOUSLY excited for this. I actually think 50 is doable.

number8
12-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Pandemic.

Glass Co.
12-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Before I begin, in case it isn't obvious that this list will have MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR ALL SEASONS, and anyone who hasn't seen the whole show should turn back now. With that said, let's begin with #50...

GO!

Glass Co.
12-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Donut

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4301/donutjd.jpg

How He Fit: One of the many kids introduced in season 4, Donut had a love for jacking some of the hottest vehicles around and showing them off to his friends. Like most of the other project kids however, his future does not seem particularly bright.

What I Liked: Donut was really a minor character, but the kid had a charm to him. It would not surprise me if he was one of the many actors that the crew simply plucked from the streets of Baltimore. Like all of the kids from season 4, I felt an instant connection to Donut because the show had built up 3 seasons worth of how hard conditions are going to be for them. In the early going, I found him a little bit of a pest and cared more about the core four; most of the other kids were generally not into illegal activities. Later on I realized that while he may have been a bit of a brat, he was essentially just a kid who loved to collect and play with some toys, his conditions bringing him to a point where carjacking seemed the simplest and most efficient way to do so. In addition, instead of a simple arrest and maybe even something that might prevent any more auto-theft, we have Officer Walker projecting his reign of anger unto poor Donut and showing one of the many reasons police officer are not talked to by those living in the streets of Baltimore.

Best Moment: Opening up Prez’s car. Although he was a thief and proved he would steal teachers’ cars without a second of thought, he also was just a genuinely nice kid.

Glass Co.
12-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Malik “Poot” Carr

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4087/poot.jpg

How He Fit: One of the many characters introduced from the Pit in the first season, Poot’s defining characteristic was mostly his desire for women and all the goodies that entails. His biggest claim in the series is being the only original Barksdale soldier who actually makes it out of the game. His most notable scene is likely the slaying of Wallace, which I will discuss in the next paragraph.

What I Liked: Never a massive favourite to be honest, but 50 is a big number, even for a show as deep in quality as The Wire. Still, he is part of one of the series’ most heartbreaking moments and unlike the first watch through the series where I hated him for shooting Wallace, the second time it seemed he was doing it out of sympathy for an old friend, both of whom are trapped in the game with no other options. The acting of all three in that scene is phenomenal, and in one of the few times Poot has to show emotion, his face tells you everything he is going through in that moment. I also had to put him on here simply because he was able to actually make it out alive and not in jail. Who would have thought that would happen at the beginning of the series? Then again, that’s life in West Baltimore, and that’s The Wire.

Best Moment: “Does the chair know we gonna look like some punk-ass bitches?”

Qrazy
12-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Poot should be higher imo.

Milky Joe
12-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Way higher. The look he has after he's told that the corner is his should move him up 10 or 20 spots at least.

Ezee E
12-10-2009, 04:59 AM
Poot is almost a forgettable character, but you see him pop up throughout the entire season. Essentially, his story is a great description of the show.

Kurosawa Fan
12-10-2009, 02:00 PM
I have to agree that, were this my list, Poot would be top 30. One of the more underrated characters on the show. Nice to see Donut make the list. Brief appearances, but the look on his face when he rolled up with that stolen SUV was priceless.

Glass Co.
12-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Interesting. I did not see the Poot support coming, but he definitely has his moments. Hopefully seeing how stacked the top 40 is will help everyone understand why he is so low. :)

Glass Co.
12-13-2009, 05:25 AM
Calvin “Cheese” Wagstaff

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/726/cheesei.jpgHow He Fit: From fairly small beginnings in season 2 as a dealer in Prop Joe’s east side crew this character developed as the seasons went allow, popping up every now and again and usually with a bigger role every season (including a darkly hilarious run-in with a “dawg” in season 3). Of course I remember him most for his betrayal of season 5 of his uncle to Marlo, arguably one of the most despicable acts committed during the series, which says a lot on a show like this.

What I Liked: I’ve read complaints of Method Man’s acting in the show, but I think they are totally unfounded. He is able to play an admittedly fairly simple character very convincingly and like most other characters on the show gains much of his strength from his realism. I can picture running into this guy on a corner of East Baltimore. I even felt some sympathy for the guy with the whole dog incident, when he showed some heartbreaking emotion for his old canine friend, but for the most part Cheese represented a different shade of the “Marlo generation” of gangsters who will betray and backstab anyone for a buck (although a possible interesting discussion is how true this really is; do guys like Marlo and Cheese really represent the current/future drug kingpin?). His death at the hand of Slim Charles is one of the most satisfying ends in a show notorious for being very unpredictable in who will succeed in "the game” and who will not. He also had one of the best street names on the show.

Best Moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfsQaeIYWoY

Bunk’s impression never fails to make me laugh.

Adam
12-13-2009, 05:45 AM
Dang, you're definitely underrating Cheese. That shit is unseemly

Glass Co.
12-13-2009, 05:50 AM
Dang, you're definitely underrating Cheese. That shit is unseemly

This is the mistake I don't want people to make. I love Cheese, I just like 47 characters more. Good reference though. Pullin' a gun outta her pussy and such.

Glass Co.
12-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Butchie

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/4673/butchie.jpg

How He Fit: Butchie mostly acts as the bank for a few drug dealers and mentor to Omar while operating a bar at the same time. He almost seems to be the equivalent of a Mafia made man so when Marlo decides to take him out we see how horribly the game has been corrupted.

What I Liked: Seriously, how could you not like this guy? A blind old man who deals a few drugs on the side, has lots of wise council, and has many cool conversations with Omar. I find no complaints. For the most part he is on this list for the final reason; he and Omar have some great scenes together, such as Omar’s guilt trip following Tasha’s death, and his opinions on the Barksdale conflict. It was always little scenes like this that really made the show something special. Butchie was one character I was certain would be fine by the end of the series. After all, he did nothing really to piss off anyone (except maybe those hot shots) and seemed content with his minimal involvement in the drug trade. Fuck you, Marlo and Cheese.

Best Moment: I was going to say his death, because it is one of the hardest scenes to watch on the entire show, but he deserves better than that. So I’ll go with this one, Butchie explaining how the difference between East and West goes back to one man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9jeN_OziBo

Kurosawa Fan
12-14-2009, 02:41 PM
I think Cheese is right where he belongs (too one-dimensional for me, though he was certainly memorable), but Butchie is one of my all-time faves. He'd be much higher on a list of mine.

Thirdmango
12-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Man, I do not remember these characters at all. Of course I've only gone through the series once.

Glass Co.
12-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Mayor Clarence Royce

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5334/mayorroyce.jpg

How He Fit: The king of the city for a while, Royce showed how badly things can get in the corrupt world of politics, surrounding himself with cronies like Clay Davis and Burrell. Despite all of the mistake that he did and the fact that a lot of his policies helped keep the city the way it is, I kind of felt for the guy in that it seemed like there wasn’t much else he could do. This was not my initial reaction true, but after a second rewatch and seeing Carcetti head down the same path where everyone stays at the status quo.

What I Liked: As mentioned I could relate to the guy on a human level who got trapped in a corrupt world, even if it was a different way that those like D’Angelo and Frank Sobotka got caught up in. Namely that Royce does not have to deal with the same consequences, being in the political sphere. He’s free to support Clay Davis and continue to feed into the problem that is killing Baltimore. Royce comes across a little arrogant at times, but no more than the average political characters on the show. Royce is also one of the few who seems open to keeping the Hamsterdam project open, in the face of overwhelming opposition and something which led to his loss in the mayoral election. In the end, Royce is like many others in the series, caught in a position where he becomes trapped by the system. On the other hand, him getting a blowjob led to Herc getting his stripes, so that definitely brings him down a few notches in my like category. Speaking of which…

Best Moment: The whole way that incident is handled is one of the best for both humour and for showing politcally absurbity that the show created.

Glass Co.
12-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Rhonda Pearlman

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4393/rhondapearlman.jpg

How She Fit: Leading public lawyer throughout the series, Pearlman was one of the few recurring female characters on a very male-dominated show. As a character she was usually one of the most admirable, usually trying to achieve the best case and only sometimes backing off if an incident was going to hurt her case. Her relationships with McNulty was ripe for hilarity and eventually found a good fit with Daniels, another character who usually ended up doing the right thing.

What I Liked: Pearlman in a way was a character to play off of McNulty for a while, but I eventually grew to like her brash delivery and ways of dealing with McNulty’s craziness. Not to mention her interactions with the other cops, such as making fun of their spelling, made for some great humour. Similarly, her interaction with a horny Judge Phelan were always hilarious, even if it was basically the same thing again and again. For a character who was there for all five seasons though, I have to admit she is somewhat on the weaker side compared to others, and this may have to do with Simon’s admitted weakness for writing female characters. Despite this, and the fact that her characters seems to be somewhat defined by the men in her life, she comes across as a strong, non-stereotypical female character. Plus, she’s hot.

Best Moment: Blackmailing Maurice Levy; it was about time that someone called that guy out on his bullshit and for the way that she did it and the fact that she did alone earns her a spot on the list.

Kurosawa Fan
12-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Both of those rankings work fine for me.

*nods*

ledfloyd
12-18-2009, 09:45 PM
seems like as good a place as any to post this fucking great interview with david simon (http://www.viceland.com/int/v16n12/htdocs/david-simon-280.php).

there are too many great quotes to post. i like the detail he goes into on the problems inherent in unencumbered capitalism on the second page.

Ezee E
12-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Rhonda was one of the few characters that usually annoyed me while on screen.

Glass Co.
12-19-2009, 01:16 AM
seems like as good a place as any to post this fucking great interview with david simon (http://www.viceland.com/int/v16n12/htdocs/david-simon-280.php).

there are too many great quotes to post. i like the detail he goes into on the problems inherent in unencumbered capitalism on the second page.

This made my night, thanks. I liked that part as well, especially his thought that the series didn't really affect many people except for entertainment. What do people make of this? Is it true for you personally?

ledfloyd
12-19-2009, 01:33 AM
This made my night, thanks. I liked that part as well, especially his thought that the series didn't really affect many people except for entertainment. What do people make of this? Is it true for you personally?
i don't know. i'd like to think it did. it certainly opened my eyes to that part of american cities that we've 'left behind' as he says. you grow up viewing them as the 'bad parts' but he gives the people living in them their hows and whys and puts a human face on it and makes it much easier to sympathize with the stringers, omars and especially the d'angelos, bubbles and wallaces out there. so in that way, it's certainly affected me.

it's also changed my perception of politics and the way police departments and school systems function (or fail to). especially season 4 brought to the forefront how education is the basis for everything and our failures there have exacerbated our failures everywhere else.

but the problem is, i think it's altered my perception more than changed my behavior. i vote, but i voted before, and i more or less vote the same way i did before. i am grateful for the way the show has allowed me to see the world though.

Glass Co.
12-24-2009, 02:57 AM
Norman Wilson

http://imgur.com/u5KTI.jpg

How He Fit: As political advisor to Carcetti, Norman provided some sage council, occasional moral chirping, and lots of good comedy. He’s pretty much the exact guy I’d want to have helping me on my campaign were I a politician.

What I Liked: Norman was just on the outside enough to see the political system as it really is, and as we are told is a former reporter for the Baltimore Sun. In the two seasons where he is featured Norman expresses his disappointment at Carcetti’s refusal to get money from the governor, and a rather hilarious, honest reaction to the serial killer clusterfuck. Plus his Clay Davis impression is spot-on. What struck me most about Norman is his likeability, and how he kind of represents the viewer in his serious desire to see Carcetti improve the city, and his disappointment when he doesn’t. Not much more to add to this entry as Norman was never really a central focus of the series, but like Butchie I just loved him to death, both in the way he was written and the performance. Plus, we’ll never know if he voted for Carcetti or not.

Best Moment: Saying that white people would never vote a black man in. Oh Norman, you were right about so much too.

Glass Co.
12-24-2009, 03:06 AM
i don't know. i'd like to think it did. it certainly opened my eyes to that part of american cities that we've 'left behind' as he says. you grow up viewing them as the 'bad parts' but he gives the people living in them their hows and whys and puts a human face on it and makes it much easier to sympathize with the stringers, omars and especially the d'angelos, bubbles and wallaces out there. so in that way, it's certainly affected me.

it's also changed my perception of politics and the way police departments and school systems function (or fail to). especially season 4 brought to the forefront how education is the basis for everything and our failures there have exacerbated our failures everywhere else.

but the problem is, i think it's altered my perception more than changed my behavior. i vote, but i voted before, and i more or less vote the same way i did before. i am grateful for the way the show has allowed me to see the world though.

I find I'm pretty much the same way, especially of the sympathies that I put into those underrepresented people of the world. There's no doubt that the show altered my perception of American urban cities a lot, and somehow made me even more cynical about politics and the agencies that police these cities. Overall, as cheesy as it sounds, it made me into a smarter person. I feel like I know about the American drug war inside and out.

I still feel that Simon may be being too cynical though. I'm sure that the show has affected people more than just the realm of entertainment.

Qrazy
12-24-2009, 06:02 AM
I'd drop the last three below the three before that but yeah we still haven't gotten to the greatest characters yet so I have only minor qualms.

Glass Co.
12-25-2009, 01:30 AM
I'd drop the last three below the three before that but yeah we still haven't gotten to the greatest characters yet so I have only minor qualms.

I'm actually going to organize the rest of my list over the next few days just to make sure no mistakes are made. Also, the "best moments" will start increasing to 3 and then moreso. It'll probably be a top 10 moments once I get to the best characters.

Five-oh creepin'!

Glass Co.
12-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8397/1846946209669fab50b0.jpg

Real #43 coming up shortly.

Ezee E
12-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Ha. Clever.

number8
12-29-2009, 08:14 PM
I dunno, I'd count him as a real character.

number8
12-29-2009, 08:17 PM
By the way, anyone remember that short-lived cop show The Unusuals? I find it weird that the photocopy-lie detector gag has now been used on three different cop shows.

Acapelli
12-30-2009, 05:17 AM
By the way, anyone remember that short-lived cop show The Unusuals? I find it weird that the photocopy-lie detector gag has now been used on three different cop shows.
yeah

i actually found it really enjoyable, mainly due to the ensemble

Glass Co.
01-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Spiros “Vondas” Vondopolous

http://imgur.com/ZDWln.jpg

How He Fit: Second in command to the Greek, “Spiros” is one of the most powerful characters on the show, and is a key in the operation of crime in Baltimore city, particularly its drug and prostitution trades. Unlike his boss, he seems to hold the people he works with ever so slightly in higher regard, trying to avoid killing the Sobotka family and holding Nick close to a son. Nevertheless, he still holds the cold-hearted, business-like approach that fuels the psyche of the entire organization.

What I Liked: The clever way he was able to make the operation seem harmless to the underling Sobotka’s he was dealing with. Little things like calling Eton his “friend” and little comments like “everything is just business with us” are a clever way to make their operation sound less like what it is: exploitation of people for profit. He was the perfect buffer between the Greek and the rest, being very cautious and clever in addition to being endlessly loyal. At the end of the day though, through all his caution and respect for Nick and Frank, his leaving of Baltimore is ultimately just another stop, on way to do business in another area of the world, completely unaware or uncaring of his role in being yet another person to bring the city of Baltimore down even further.

Best Moment: Turning down Marlo. Shows perfectly his calculated approach to business, and how his organization will take no risks. Plus it was nice to see Marlo get turned away for a change, even if his resiliency once again eventually paid off.

Milky Joe
01-02-2010, 07:48 PM
30 places to low! :) Paul Ben-Victor is awesome. Juxtapose Spiros with Palaka on John From Cincinnati to see just how awesome.

Glass Co.
01-02-2010, 07:56 PM
The Greek

http://imgur.com/KCHMn.jpg

How He Fit: The most powerful criminal character that we meet in the show, The Greek and his organization have the appeal of sophisticated gangsters that are above and beyond any ordinary sort of law enforcement.

What I Liked: As David Simon described him, The Greek represents “pure capitalism”, and while this leads to his character not having a huge amount of depth at times, it does make him an interesting individual nonetheless. As Spiros says about him (paraphrased): “The Greek will not be angry, he will be smart.”; and this is what characterizes him through both seasons 2 and 5, whether it is the choice to rat out the Columbians to the FBI, to leave a massive shipment of drugs on the ports, or to go along with Marlo and cut Prop Joe loose. The world to him seems so much smaller, because he cannot or chooses to ignore the heavy burden that his organization leaves on those negatively affected by their actions, and everything and every person is just a pawn to be used in his grande scheme to make money. Heavy may be the head that lies the crown, but the Greek always plays things so smoothly everything just seems like “business, always business”.

Best Moment: “And of course, I am not even Greek.” Really puts into perspective how impossible it is to catch the people at the top and drives home the hopelessness of the show.

Glass Co.
01-02-2010, 07:59 PM
30 places to low! :) Paul Ben-Victor is awesome. Juxtapose Spiros with Palaka on John From Cincinnati to see just how awesome.

He is great in the role of Spiros, no doubt. Very subtle performance, with just a hint of menace. Without spoiling, what's his character in John From Cincinnati like?

Kurosawa Fan
01-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Definitely would have swapped those two around and ranked them much higher.

Ezee E
01-02-2010, 08:08 PM
"And of course, I am not even Greek," is one of the funniest, most clever lines I've heard period. For the reasons you stated.

Milky Joe
01-02-2010, 08:40 PM
He is great in the role of Spiros, no doubt. Very subtle performance, with just a hint of menace. Without spoiling, what's his character in John From Cincinnati like?

Bumbling, stammering, sweaty, Hawaiian, absolutely hilarious. Basically the complete opposite of Spiros.

And come ON, the Greek is top 10, top 5 maybe even.

number8
01-03-2010, 12:09 AM
I suspect I would keep saying "Oh come on, s/he's totally Top 20 material!" to every entry all the way to #21.

Glass Co.
01-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Slim Charles

http://imgur.com/rJqbF.jpg

How He Fit: First appearing is season 3 as hired muscle to help put the Barksdale organization back on top after losing most of their hired guns in season 1’s investigation. After that he hooks up with Proposition Joe’s gang and becomes an increasing member in the co-op. For the most part he comes to represent the old-school soldier who lives by a code of honour in a world that is increasingly losing any sense of it.

What I Liked: The voice hooked me, first of all. It was just undeniably cool. Most of all however, it was the aforementioned code that Slim represented. When Omar comes and confronts him about the murder of Butchie, you can tell there is an underlying respect there and an understanding that they are both of a certain breed. Slim is one of those characters that I was really glad made it out at the end of the series, without being arrested, alive, and at the top, too. Whether it was chastising those two idiots for shooting at Omar’s grandma, coaching Bodie on the new rules of the game, or capping Cheese, Slim was always there to make the show a little less depressing and was something to look forward to. I only wish he had come into contact with at least one of the cops at some point, as I can’t help but think it would end up in a great scene.

Best Moment: Avenging Prop Joe. Cheese had it coming, and the way he did right in the middle of Cheese’s big speech was possibly the biggest “hell yeah!” moment in the entire series.

Glass Co.
01-03-2010, 08:10 PM
I suspect I would keep saying "Oh come on, s/he's totally Top 20 material!" to every entry all the way to #21.

Hell, I'm doing it. This is one of the hardest lists I've had to make, but I'm hoping in the end it will be balanced.

Kurosawa Fan
01-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Slim Charles would be in my top ten characters on the show.

Qrazy
01-04-2010, 12:14 AM
I would put The Greek higher and Slim Charles probably in the 30's but yeah Slim isn't one of my favorites. I hope Daniels shows up soon because I found that actor to be fairly weak.

Kurosawa Fan
01-04-2010, 12:21 AM
I would put The Greek higher and Slim Charles probably in the 30's but yeah Slim isn't one of my favorites. I hope Daniels shows up soon because I found that actor to be fairly weak.

Daniels was always a weaker character for me too.

amberlita
01-04-2010, 01:18 AM
I like the placement of Spiros and The Greek. Very cool cats but in a show of such rich and complicated characters I find their one-dimentionality puts them far below the more well-rounded characters.

Big fan of Slim Charles. I'da placed him Top 25 prolly.

Ezee E
01-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Daniels was always a weaker character for me too.
More the actor than anything I say. He was horrible in Oz too.

Raiders
01-04-2010, 03:00 AM
He's extremely one-note on Fringe as well, but he's very effective at it there. He was neither good nor bad on The Wire, which I guess makes him very ill-fitting for this list.

Glass Co.
01-04-2010, 04:28 AM
Humbug. I wish I could add comments without spoiling the list.

number8
01-04-2010, 11:05 AM
He was weird in LOST.

ledfloyd
01-04-2010, 12:02 PM
yeah, i think he's worse than most of the non-actors on the show. the character isn't bad, but easily my least favorite cast member.

Acapelli
01-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Slim Charles would be in my top ten characters on the show.
same. the first choice so far with which i really disagree with the placement of

Acapelli
01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
as someone who watches all the law & orders pretty regularly, i love playing spot the wire cast member

slim charles getting crushed in a garbage truck made me lol

number8
01-05-2010, 03:44 PM
I think you can find anybody from any show on Law & Order.

Hell, Kevin Smith was in one.

Glass Co.
01-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Leander Sydnor

http://imgur.com/cztvR.jpg

How He Fit: Already considered one of the best detectives from his first appearance in season 1, we didn’t really get to see Sydnor improve in the same vein as Carver and Prez, but what we did see was a committed cop learn more about how to be “good police” from people like Freamon and McNulty. David Simon has said something to the effect that Sydnor is the only character who by the end of the series has not jeopardized any morality (I may have butchered this, but the point is there). By the end of the series he becomes the new McNulty, which seemed somehow appropriate, although it certainly means he won’t remain unblemished for long.

What I Liked: One of the best things about the show was its verisimilitude and realism. While I loved characters like McNulty, Omar, and Prop Joe, they did seem like characters, however realistic. With people like Sydnor, he felt like a guy I could actually befriend and just go for a beer with. It was also nice seeing one of the younger cops actually be good at his job and not an idiot with police brutality of the brain. Not the most developed character on the show, but I loved him anyway. Go fight the system, dude (anyone else wonder what would happen to certain characters like him if a season 6 ever actually got made?)

Best Moment: Getting dressed down by Bubbles on his junkie authenticity.

Thirdmango
01-12-2010, 04:42 AM
Even though I've watched the series I've only seen it once and remember very little from what I can tell of this list. I should probably wait to read until you get around top 10.

Qrazy
01-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Yeah that placement seems right. I liked Sydnor also but he doesn't get much of an arc.

Glass Co.
01-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Beatrice "Beadie" Russell

http://imgur.com/hysjT.jpg

How She Fit: A regular port cop who didn’t really have a strong desire to be a cop, by the end of season 2 she had game. Becoming an integral part of the Sobatka investigation, we saw as she developed as an officer, but unlike with say, Jimmy or Kima, didn’t let it affect her home life. After that she became the woman that kept McNulty on the sane side, or at least tried to.

What I Liked: Beadie would have probably been much higher had she been in the show more. I can understand why most of the other season 2 characters did not reappear in season 3, their arcs were finished; but I couldn’t help but be disappointed when Beadie wasn’t a part of the detail at the beginning of season 3 (although her eventually reappearance was a nice surprise, since I figured she was done). It seemed like her arc in season 2 was setting her up to be a regular, although I realize that would have messed up McNulty’s arc considerably, which is probably what the writers considered the priority. Much of my like of her comes from Amy Ryan’s performance, Ryan being one of my favourite actresses out there at the moment. Little moments like her slight fear at following Vondas up to the hotel room or her ambiguous surprise at McNulty leaving after inviting him in for a beer were perfectly played. Her appearances in seasons 4 and 5 were much more to play off of McNulty’s personality, but I still enjoyed her presence. Basically, a character who was good but who I would have enjoyed more of.

Best Moment: Seeing Frank’s body. Once again, perfectly played by Ryan. The emotions of guilt alone in that moment must have been horrible.

Kurosawa Fan
01-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Eh, she's one I was never very taken with, though it's no fault of Ryan. Her character always seemed neglected, and was just bland.

Glass Co.
01-13-2010, 09:47 PM
To show some humility for a second, I now kind of wish...

...that I'd ranked Slim Charles higher.

Not top ten though. That's just crazy talk. ;)

Glass Co.
01-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Nick Sobotka

http://imgur.com/FbV2M.jpg

How He Fit: In a way the D’Angelo of season 2, in that he was kind of our main viewpoint into the world of the docks (Frank seemed to grow to be more of that as the season went on, although that may be my own bias since I liked him more). Although the least sympathetic of the three Sobotkas it still sucked to see him delve further into crime just to support himself and his family, and basically becoming a mini-Frank. His continual support of Ziggy despite his constant idiocy was frustrating on the first watch-through, and kind of admirable on the second.

What I Liked: The aforementioned tragedy of his character. As with Ziggy (to a much greater extent) I knew things were not going to end well for Nick. Once he decided to become a drug-dealer and became buddy-buddy with Vondas and Sergei, it looked all uphill to him, but all downhill to me. I admit I found the performance (while good) a little less natural and realistic than most of the actors around him, which I think detracted a bit from his my like for his character. What I liked most was his relationships with Ziggy and Frank: with the former, he acted like a big brother who looked out for his insanely immature younger sibling, while at the same time being a bit of an envy for Ziggy for how much better he is at doing everything; with Frank, the father figure and Nick adequately played the son that Frank wished he had, making the inevitable fall for all three of them all the more tragic with these relationships built in.

Best Moment: His cameo in season 5. “Who is that?” “Nobody, Mr. Mayor. That’s nobody.” Can’t think of many more scenes that sum up his the view of the show more accurately. :(

Glass Co.
01-15-2010, 03:59 AM
Gus Haynes

http://imgur.com/Pjuem.jpg

How He Fit: Part of what is unanimously thought of as the weakest storyline in the series, Gus was the crusader for truth in a shrinking world where prizes and prestige were increasingly meaning more. Last representative of the old-school method of reporting that the show seems to think is dying out.

What I Liked: While the one-note characterization of the newspapers characters was definitely the weakest part of the series, and this rubbed on Gus, as he was a little too self-righteous and crusading at times, I didn’t really mind it as much in his case, and I think it was nicely balanced by some good humour from the character and the fact that he often missed things too, e.g. Omar and Proposition Joe’s deaths. I just wish that all of the characters in this storyline could have had that kind of nuance, since I think Simon gets a lot of what is wrong with newspapers and the media spot on, but with caricatures like Templeton that makes it a lot harder to get through. I also always enjoy Clark Johnson, whether in front or behind the camera, and have been enjoying his character on Homicide: Life on the Street now that I am going through it. More than anything, this character will be a representation of what this storyline could have been more than anything else.

Best Moment: Explaining to Alma the follies of corporatism and how it is killing quality journalism.

Glass Co.
01-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Cedric Daniels

http://imgur.com/6itE9.jpg

How He Fit: Always toeing the line between career-man and “doing the right thing”, Daniels was in many ways a good representation for a large part of the show, where people usually get punished for trying to help or change something that isn’t working, and praised and promoted for going along with the Olympian God that is the status quo. What he found eventually was that he loved the job more than getting ahead, which unfortunately led to many problems for him. The job did not love him back.

What I Liked: The aforementioned constant battle that was always ongoing, and how he pretty much always came through on the right side. Unfortunately, Reddick’s performance wasn’t always quite up to par, which is why the character is lower than he would be. He was too often one-note, and while that worked at times since as supervisor Daniels could not show emotion and “weakness” as easily or as often as the detectives could, it hindered many scenes that could have more weight to them, such as when he is talking to Carver about how your subordinates will follow the game you play. Basically, a great character who I really liked, but the performance unfortunately often left too much to be desired. A rare weak link in a mostly strong show. Nevertheless, I always liked every single time he said, “Detective, my office.”, especially the bug eyes after Prez punched Valchek.

Top 3 Moments:

3. Chewing McNulty out in season 3 when he goes behind his back to Colvin. Such ambiguity in that I was glad that McNulty did what he did, but could also understand why Daniels was so pissed and kicked him off the force.

2. “This…is BULLSHIT!” The moment when he turns from company man to finally seeing the light on what exactly the higher-ups were doing, the type of games they play and refusing for the first time to play along.

1. “I’m not involved in drugs, Lieutenant.” “Good.” An evolution from the 2nd best moment, when he refuses to ignore the strings that control the department anymore, and throws Burrell and Davis’ attempt to get him off their scent right back in their faces.

Kurosawa Fan
01-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Gus Haynes would rank low on my list. No depth or arc to his character. Sure he's likable and wise, but he and Templeton are as close as the show ever comes to caricatures that exist solely to push a plot in a certain direction. They're black and white (no pun intended) on the moral scale. Much as I like Clark Johnson and his performance, he's one of the very few weak points in an otherwise immaculate show.

Duncan
01-16-2010, 01:23 AM
Beadie actually had me in tears a couple times in the 5th season. She might even be top 15, top 10 material for me.

Glass Co.
01-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Kenard

http://imgur.com/5TmIW.jpg

How He Fit: Man, what a little shit. Between picking on Dukie and killing Omar it was like the writers were trying to make him the most despised character on the show. But how much does his outward aggression and hostility have to do with his environment? I think this is a key question that the show asks (although not in any obvious way, which would of course suck). We never see him go to school unlike the kids older than him, he has no parental support at all that we know of, and the drug trade seems to be his only means of support. As dislikeable as he is, he is also one of the most tragic characters on the show.

What I Liked: Pretty much impossible to like, but at least possible to understand. What I liked most is that this kid was actually scary. One could easily see him growing up to become another Marlo or Snoop. He was being bred to be one of the top dogs of the streets, and with nothing else going in his life it made perfect sense to aim for that. It’s just too bad that at the least he couldn’t have kept aiming to be the next Omar instead of the next Marlo. Just a ruthless individual, and I have to give major props to the kid who acted him, as I saw an interview with him and he seemed like the nicest little guy.

Top 3 Moments:

3. Playing cops and robbers as Omar.

2. Throwing that bottle at Dukie. His dialogue in that scene is so true to life of certain very troubled kids I knew back in public school.

1. What else? Who’d have ever thought this little pip would take down the legend.

Glass Co.
01-16-2010, 05:36 PM
Brianna Barksdale

http://imgur.com/9poJR.jpg

How She Fit: Mother of D’Angelo and sister to Avon, Brianna was one of the top players in the Barksdale organization, but always a step away from any of the violence. She seemed relatively content to live off of the money that was made by the drug trade, even convincing her own son to take a jail sentence to keep it.

What I Liked: Brianna is an easy character to dislike, after she indirectly got her son killed, and I admit that she is probably one of my most hated characters on the show, but as with the best characters on the show you can see layers of complexity to her character and even of sympathy both when she learns of his death and when McNulty tells her about D’s potential murder. The guilt is there, even if she never explicitly says it. Still, she managed to get out with no jail time and all the money she needs, while D died trying to reform himself while at the same time honouring his family; so unbelievably unfair.

Top 3 Moments:

3. Confronting Avon about D’s murder. Such a well-written and acted scene. The tension is one of the highest of the series.

2. Listening to McNulty’s theory. “I wanted to talk to someone who actually cared about him.” Ouch. Can’t say it was undeserved, though.

1. Her talk with D’Angelo to take the years for his family. So convincingly manipulative she almost had me too. In a way she was right, that without the drug trade they wouldn’t have each other at all and would be in poverty like most of the population of their area. The saddest thing was even after all that D had said to the cops about wanting out of the game and to start over, I knew that he was going to turn away from that after this speech to him. It was the moment that finally convinced me that this show was something special.

number8
01-16-2010, 09:32 PM
The handling of Kenard was ingenious. I'd argue that he's the most one-note character on the show, even over Gus, the way he's written, but just for the fact that he's a little kid puts the whole thing into perspective. His character is developed through other characters in his environment, who represent who Kenard was before and will be.

Glass Co.
01-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Ervin Burrell

http://imgur.com/1xAYV.jpg

How He Fit: Deputy of Operations for the first season and then Commissioner until close to the end of the series, Burrell was another easy character to hate as he stalled cases, re-assigned personnel, and generally made life a complete headache for anyone on the show trying to do good police work, unless it worked for him politically. Nevertheless, there was some sympathy there for a guy just trying to survive for his job at times, as we saw more and more with each season as he was a pawn of the political system. We also saw him rise in the ranks and then eventually finally get booted, which seemed like a good thing, until I saw his replacement.

What I Liked: I definitely did not like this dude, so kudos to the complexity of the show that he was still able to keep some sympathy but at the same time didn’t go into the stereotypical “evil boss who will stall the case” that you see in those awful McBain movies on the Simpsons. Still, the fact that he went along with some of things that he did made me really biased against him, being the perfect representation of the Wire’s current problem of the American political structure, being shit on from above and having it roll downhill. His loyalty to Royce was somewhat admirable, although so horribly misguided. I never liked him quite as much as Rawls, which I think simply comes down to performance, and the fact that Rawls did show that he had good policework in him at times. Overall, he was very difficult to like but also very difficult to outright hate. Prop Joe's reveal that he was dumb as a post in school made perfect sense, too.

Top 3 Moments:

3. Standing up to Royce finally about Hamsterdam and how he can lie with the best of them. It’s too bad it had to be over the completely wrong reason.

2. The silent moment with the golf club in his office when he doesn’t say a word to Daniels and yet everything is clearly stated.

1. “Whatever names you found, I hope you flushed them.” Probably not a obvious number 1, but I just had to laugh the second time watching through as to how accurately and hilariously it sums up his character and especially his position.

Glass Co.
01-22-2010, 02:32 AM
Goddamn, every picture just went down. Went to the HBO site and saw they'd changed the whole picture layout. Guess that's what I get for hotlinking.

[ETM]
01-22-2010, 02:33 AM
Dude... Photobucket.

Glass Co.
01-22-2010, 02:36 AM
;235227']Dude... Photobucket.

Photobucket wasn't working for me when I started the thread so to spite them I didn't use them. I sometimes hurt myself in my crusades.

number8
01-22-2010, 02:44 AM
Imgur is good.

Glass Co.
01-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Imgur is good.

I've heard good things. I'll give it a shot.

Glass Co.
01-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Roland “Wee-bey” Brice

http://imgur.com/cVNN3.jpg

How He Fit: Heavy enforcer for the Barksdale organization who likely has dozens of murders under his belt, Wee-bey was another character notable for his likeability despite the horrible acts he commits. Between his love of fish, loyalty to his crew, and his eventually decision to help his son out of the drug trade, Wee-bey always kept a human side.

What I Liked: I wish we could have gotten more of him, since as it was he was only a major character in the first season, he still made a strong impression in the limited time that he had. He was one of those characters whom I couldn’t decide if he was meant for the game or if he could’ve been something else if life had put him in a different place. Of course, it is probably some sort of combination of the two, but his eventually decision to give Namond up to Colvin shows that he at least understands the desire to leave the streets of West Baltimore. His conversations with his wife were hilarious too (and I’ll admit now that she’s not on the list, and I’m starting to regret it). How he ever ended up with her is something that should be a sitcom spin-off or something.

Top 3 Moments:

3. Showing D’Angelo his fish. What a brilliant little characterization that most shows would not even bother with.

2. His nonchalant meeting with the lawyers and police in the interrogation room, a sandwich and some chips being his biggest concern.

1. Standing up to Delonda about Namond. Who would have thought that Wee-bey of all fucking people would have the most heart warming moment at the end of season 4.

Glass Co.
01-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Major Stan Valchek

http://imgur.com/FPx8U.jpg

How He Fit: South-eastern commander with a permanent bug up his ass, and a hard-on of hate for anyone who dares take his spot at the church window. For all the Burrell’s and Rawls’ that we meet, there is probably no police commander more despicable than this guy. His contribution to Frank Sobatka’s downfall and execution were huge, and yet of course he will never see any remuneration for it, aside from the fact that he can’t gloat that he caught him.

What I Liked: With a few exceptions, there was no one I loved to hate more than Valchek on The Wire. While with someone like Levy I just despised his tactics and personality, Valchek was usually so funny with his blow-ups and general way with dealing with people that I actually enjoyed him being on screen, even if it was generally for being an impotent asshole. The guy seemed to completely miss the point of being a police officer, and only used his power to fuck over those he didn’t like. At least with Burrell and Rawls their positions kind of required them to suck as police, Valchek could have been great if he wanted, but then was selected as police commissioner after all. *facepalm* I also felt sorry for poor Prez, as you can see many of his initial problems as a police officer came from Valchek’s horrible guiding hand.

Top 3 Moments:

3. Becoming police commissioner. Got as big of a laugh from me as Rawls in the gay bar.

2. Blowing up at Burrell, Pearlman and Daniels for not going after Sobatka. “Fucking rat-fuckers, all of ya.”

1. Doing the same thing to Daniels, Prez and the FBI agents, and getting a nice punch for his troubles. Go Prez!

Glass Co.
01-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Brother Mouzone

http://imgur.com/pllIn.jpg

How He Fit: Hitman from New York who liked reading, old guns, and the Nation of Islam, Mouzone definitely takes the cake for most larger than life character in the series. First being hired to get rid of the Eastside dealers in Avon’s territory, he got caught up in the power plays of Stringer Bell and Avon, and left town after nearly being killed. He later returns to avenge his betrayal for one of most epic duos in fiction history.

What I Liked: I can assume this ranking will please no one, as he is definitely the most polarizing figure on the show. Although based on a real person that David Simon met in his travels, he does come across as being unrealistic and a fictional construction often. However, that never really bothered me for two reasons: first of all, there are larger than life figures in real life, even if we don’t meet them all that often, and secondly, coming from New York to Baltimore his stature and characterization were (I felt) partially a way of conveying just how foreign he and the world of New York seemed to the Baltimorians. Admittedly, this is a bit of an ironic convention that the series rarely used, but it did it so rarely that I felt it was okay for the writers to indulge once in a blue moon. Nonetheless, as a character he didn’t really do much besides be cool and badass so I cannot rank him any higher than this. Still, for such a minor character he had some awesome moments and I almost feel like expanding the top moments, but I will stick to my formula for now and save that for the top 20.

Top 3 Moments:

3. “You know what the most dangerous thing in America is, right? Nigga with a library card.”

2. Entrance and shooting of Cheese. Sure way of making an impression.

1. Stand-off with Omar. Like a classic western, and each piece of dialogue is a minor gem for both of them. It feels like two Greek Gods clashing in the middle of a street.

[ETM]
01-22-2010, 10:01 PM
I think I had more problems with the actual performance, which seemed too artificial most of the time, than with the character of Mouzone.

Qrazy
01-22-2010, 10:13 PM
I really like Wee-bey.

Glass Co.
01-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Maurice Levy

http://imgur.com/n8RuY.jpg

How He Fit: Arguably the biggest scumbag in Baltimore, Levy started off seeming like your typical corrupt defense lawyer, helping known harmful criminals get back on the streets, but slowly but surely we see how far his corruption goes, actually advising the murder of Stringer and Avon’s underlings and those who can be used against them, giving the kingpins opportunity to launder their money, and countless other miscarriages of justice. Although coming close to being in some way prosecuted at the end of the series, he is able to make it out unscathed.

What I Liked: Nothing! At least in terms of his actual personality and not an objective look at his character construction; he is definitely one of the closest of those on The Wire to being a true villain. That mastermind look he always has, those sneaky legal tactics, the betrayal of those he is supposed to represent. At the same time though, he never feels one-note, and I don’t know whether to chalk this up to the performance or the writing, or perhaps both. I also really liked how he was able to step into the drug dealers’ world, such as the various clubs and bars they operate, and never feel uneasy; he always maintained a coolness about him. Probably his only characteristic I can appreciate. One thing is for sure, that no one can claim that David Simon went easy on his own race.

Top 3 Moments:

3. Telling Avon and Stringer to look where they are weak. When I realized the implications it was a major “oh, shit!” moment.

2. Managing to actual get a guy (Savino) to only get three years when a cop got shot. That takes some serious skill.

1. Explaining to Stringer exactly how Clay Davis operates. Rainmaker, indeed.

Spaceman Spiff
01-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I didn't care at all for Mouzone.

Ezee E
01-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Mouzone was near the bottom of my list for characters. Completely artificial, and something that just didn't fit in this TV show.

Him and the guy who goes, "SHEEEEEEIT." Works elsewhere, but not on the show.

Kurosawa Fan
01-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Him and the guy who goes, "SHEEEEEEIT." Works elsewhere, but not on the show.

This is nonsense. Saying Clay doesn't belong on The Wire is blasphemous.

Glass Co.
01-27-2010, 05:39 PM
This is nonsense. Saying Clay doesn't belong on The Wire is blasphemous.

Yeah. Shameful shit, E.

Glass Co.
01-28-2010, 09:47 PM
In all my wheeling and dealing of bringing characters in and out of the list and shifting them around, I have somehow ended up with 52. It's way too late to take a couple of characters out now, so I'm just going to do a couple of .5s.

Glass Co.
01-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Thomas “Herc” Hauk

http://imgur.com/mPFSg.jpg

How He Fit: One of the three incompetent boobs at the beginning of the season 1 detail (along with Carver and Prez) Herc is the one that shows no growth by the end of the series, and has arguably gotten worse. Always dedicated to headbusting and quick arrests more than quality case work, and whenever he does bring back anything substantial, it’s from some sort of illegal bug (ah, the infamous Fuzzy Dunlop).

What I Liked: I am once again tempted to say nothing, but he often provided some great (and often needed) comic relief, particularly in his bickering conversations with Carver. Because of that I was able to stomach him for the first three seasons, even when he was being an idiot, but once his incompetence managed to completely fuck up the lives of both Randy and Bubbles in his stupid quest to get the stripes, I just could not handle him any more. And then to top it off, he joins forces with Levy next season! I think it’s made pretty clear at the end that he cares mostly about respect from other people, even if it’s from the wrong people and for doing the wrong things. He never seems to be able to understand any concept of change of doing something differently. The craziest thing though is however much I dislike the guy, he really isn’t a horrible person, just incredibly useless and a fuck-up. If someone had asked him at the end of the series what he thought the worst thing he’d done as a police officer, he probably would have said stealing a camera.

Top 3 Moments:

3. Driving around and clearing corners to the Shaft theme.

2. The look on his face after he sees the mayor getting a blow job and the whole aftermath.

1. Giving Levy the tip to the illegal wiretap after doing arguably his only great piece of police work. Sums up perfectly how fucked up he is.

Glass Co.
01-28-2010, 09:52 PM
#27.5
Namond Bryce

http://imgur.com/PCYuK.jpg

How He Fit: Son of gangster Wee-bey and crazy mother Delonda, Namond was being bred for the streets from a very early age. Of course we see how he is unable to handle it despite his constant attempts to play the tough guy. He is able to escape only thanks to Major Colvin’s kindness and his father’s acceptance, and the only one of the kids who is able to achieve it; one of the great ironies among many in The Wire.

What I Liked: He was definitely the least likable of the four main kids of season 4, but especially towards the end, like Ziggy, we see the sympathy that can be found underneath the exterior. His constant prodding of Dukie, tough guy talk, and expensive clothes were all a cloak because he didn’t want to admit to himself that he was not right for the place he was inevitably heading towards. As with the other three kids, his acting was impeccable and I still wonder where the produces were able to find all of this young talent. His lashing out at authority figures was priceless, since you could it was a cover for anger at his parents for pushing him into the game(a theory anyway). I was so glad that he was able to make it out, I just wish he didn’t have to be alone.

Top 3 Moments:

3. “At least I said sir.”

2. Being unable to take the package from Kenard. “I ain’t want it.” We finally see what we’ve suspected all along, that Namond was just not built for this line of work.

1. His breakdown when Michael starting beating on him. What an incredibly moving moment for a character I didn’t really have a large amount of sympathy for. Fantastic acting too.

Glass Co.
01-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Kima Greggs

http://imgur.com/Vheqp.jpg

How She Fit: Initially seeming to be the most morally just and honourable of any of the police that we meet in season 1, she is almost tragically cut out of the series in one of the most shocking and tense scenes of the show. After that she continues to be an integral member of the unit whether it is taking photos over rooftops, dressing up in a hard hat, or silently solving a case that had the entire political sphere of Baltimore with their panties in a bunch. Her strong moral code does come back at the end of the series when she rats out the serial killer scheme, a subject of debate as to whether she did the correct thing.

What I Liked: Kima was absolutely one of my favourite characters in the first season; reasoned, smart, and good at her job, while managing to not be a McNulty-like ass about everything. After that though, while I always liked having her around, her character never really developed into being much more than the female McNulty. Her decision at the end was nonetheless a nice call-back to refusing to identify Wee-bey as her shooter. Also, while generally well acted, I never really had a huge interest in her personal life, but luckily it didn’t take up too much time, and became quite touching in season 5 when she forms a bond with the kid. Another character in the vein of Sydnor who I would love to just hang out with. She reminds me a lot of my aunt (who is a cop incidentally, score another point to The Wire for realism).

Top 3 Moments:

3. “Sometimes things just gotta play hard.”

2. Her decision at the end to tell Daniels. Still uncertain myself on this one whether I would have done the same thing in her position.

1. "Goodnight moon..."

Glass Co.
01-30-2010, 07:01 PM
#26.5
Chester “Ziggy” Sobotka

http://imgur.com/uGwpd.jpg

How He Fit: Son of Frank and constant fuck-up, Ziggy was an easy character to hate early on, and pretty much anyone who watches the series (unless you are an extremely kind and forgiving individual) despises him from his first appearance. Through his constant fuck-ups this feeling this increases, especially when the much smarter Nick always bails him out. It’s pretty nice to see Cheese beat on him and Maui humiliate him just to prove to the little idiot that he can’t do anything he wants, and then he shoots Glekas and suddenly everything becomes topsy-turvy and we see just how tragic his character is.

What I Liked: Few characters improve and change more upon a second viewing. Watching the aforementioned scenes of humiliation and come-uppance gain a really tragic and inevitable feeling the second time around, as we see how hopefully trapped he is. One of my constant dilemmas was the fact that Ziggy could have easily done something else with his life, he wasn’t like one of the corner kids who were pretty much trapped to their way of life, and yet Ziggy seems just as caught in the web of Baltimore’s negativity. Is this Frank’s fault, for not paying enough attention; those who constantly prod him; his own? The answer of course is probably a combination. While he will always be annoying and I would never want to have to deal with someone like him in real life, the writing and the acting are phenomenal in that I actually grew to care and sympathize with him at the end of the season. Since I didn’t mention it, it must be said that Ransome is an extremely underrated actor amongst a very talented bunch.

Top 3 Moments:

3. His entrance with the duck. As crazy as it may sound, there is a lot going on here in terms of character building, and it’s a plain funny scene on it’s own.

2. His shooting of Glekas and especially the scene after with Landsman. One of the most shocking moments in the series, and just pitch-perfectly played. “He didn’t say so much as he begged.”

1. The final scene with Frank. “The same blood don’t flow for us, pop.” :(

[ETM]
01-30-2010, 07:13 PM
SobOtka.

Glass Co.
01-30-2010, 07:16 PM
;237959']SobOtka.

I always do that. I blame Valchek's pronounciation.

[ETM]
01-30-2010, 07:36 PM
I always do that. I blame Valchek's pronounciation.

It's natural to me because I know "sobota" is "Saturday" in Polish, Czech etc.

number8
01-30-2010, 07:36 PM
I loved the duck metaphor.

Glass Co.
01-30-2010, 07:49 PM

The best part is that it actually happened. That the writers managed to turn it into what they did is pretty impressive.

Glass Co.
01-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Jay Landsman

http://imgur.com/F7vgv.jpg

How He Fit: Often the epitome of middle management in the series, Landsman is one of the few characters in the series who pretty much is completely unchanged by the end of it. By keeping his interest in self-preservation above all and not pissing off anybody, he is able to survive in the BPD just fine. A constant source of hilarity (the food and porn addictions are golden) and classic lines (many of them actually spoken by the real Jay Landsman, who plays Lt. Mello in the series) Jay is a perfect example of character who you want to see do the right thing more often, but can completely understand why he doesn’t. In my mind, he is one of the best examples of a morally grey cop I’ve seen in any medium.

What I Liked: Like many characters on this list, I really wish I could place him higher (and this goes for quite a few of the next few choices as well). On any other show he would be definite top ten material. As it is he is definitely one of the most entertaining characters on The Wire, always there for a good bit of comic relief whenever things take a serious turn. At the same time, he reveals depth in his interactions with Ziggy and especially with Bubbles. This is a clearly a guy who would be good police and a genuinely good person (not that he isn’t, pulling pranks with crazy tarot ladies aside) if not for the institution that he has committed himself to. In many ways he is the epitome of what David Simon set out to represent in the show.

Top 5 Moments: I wasn’t going to increase this to 5 until much later, but I had to make an exception here. Just too many great lines.

5. “You know what he is? He is a vandal. He is vandalizing the board. He is vandalizing this unit. He is a Hun, a Visigoth, a barbarian at the gate, clamouring for noble Roman blood and what's left of our clearance rate.”

4. “For you I would suggest some pantsuits, perhaps muted in color, something to offset Detective Moreland's pinstripe lawyerly affectations and the brash tweedy impertinence of Detective Freamon.”

3. His speech at Detective Cole’s wake.

2. His speech at McNulty’s wake.

1. “Fuck the clearance.”

Glass Co.
01-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Oh, and thanks for the imgur rec, 8. I can't believe I haven't used it before now. One day when I am less lazy I will go back and edit all the entries and post pictures for the entries from here on out.

[ETM]
01-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Oh, and thanks for the imgur rec, 8. I can't believe I haven't used it before now. One day when I am less lazy I will go back and edit all the entries and post pictures for the entries from here on out.

It'd be easier if you did it now, and continued properly. Trust me.
Also, pictures help more casual viewers to remember the characters.

Glass Co.
01-30-2010, 09:47 PM
;238004']It'd be easier if you did it now, and continued properly. Trust me.
Also, pictures help more casual viewers to remember the characters.

I gotta go eat, but I'll fix it up later tonight. Because I respect you.

Spaceman Spiff
01-30-2010, 09:59 PM

I'm drawing a blank here.

number8
01-31-2010, 12:33 AM

On what?

[ETM]
01-31-2010, 12:48 AM

Epigraph on the episode "Duck and Cover":

"How come they don't fly away?" - Ziggy

Glass Co.
02-01-2010, 02:53 AM
Wallace

http://imgur.com/MrRbB.jpg

How He Fit: Poor Wallace, we hardly knew ye. Without even the dignity of getting a given name, he was the first casualty among many. In many ways his was one of the hardest simply because it was the first. One of the beauties (if you can call it that) of the first season is that I didn’t know the style of the series yet, so unlike all the later seasons when you could at least expect everything to go bad in the last 2-3 episodes, this one was a little unexpected. The trio of Bodie, Poot and Wallace was kind of underlying underrated aspect of season 1, and a bit of a preview of the relationship between the kids of season 4. Of course, his death is not the only reason he is on this list, so let’s get on with it.

What I Liked: I hate to keep defining him by his relationships to other people (unfortunately that is all that can really be done with the time we got with him), but his relationship with D’Angelo is for me the heart of season 1 and what hooked me into the show even more than Omar’s awesomeness, or the cool cat and mouse game, or the intricacies of wiretapping. There was a great sincerity there, and as D’Angelo said what really defined Wallace most was his heart. I loved his interactions with the kids that he took care of and obviously had no other place to go other than the streets. Even more so though is between he and D is the first display of those who are not right for the situation that life has unfairly placed them in. I guess there really isn’t a huge amount of depth to his character other than that, but hell if I really care. The funny thing is without his death scene he might be much lower on the list, but I guess tragedy beings out the best of character in this show.

Top 3 Moments (pretty much all of them sad):

3. Doing coke for the first time. Even not knowing that this show was based around Greek tragedy, this seemed like the beginning of a bad end for him.

2. Not knowing what crickets are, and then later becoming much annoyed by them.

1. Pleading for Bodie to spare him. I really hate this scene for how hard it hits, but have to acknowledge how well done it is. No long speech at the end, just a kid pleading almost hysterically and nonsensically for his life in a shitty vacant. No glory here.

ledfloyd
02-01-2010, 03:55 AM
i love landsman.

Kurosawa Fan
02-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Just seeing a picture of Wallace gives me physical pain.

Spaceman Spiff
02-02-2010, 01:45 AM
Ziggy was awful, btw.

number8
02-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Things I learned today: Munch was based on the real Landsman.

That makes a whole lot of sense.

Glass Co.
02-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Things I learned today: Munch was based on the real Landsman.

That makes a whole lot of sense.

Yeah, I really want to read Homicide the book because apparently the real Landsman did a bunch of hilarious that didn't make it into either character.

Glass Co.
02-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Chris Partlow

http://imgur.com/obKUc.jpg

How He Fit: The Stringer Bell equivalent to Marlo, Chris was an integral part of the trio of terrifying. Like Marlo, he improved much as a character when he showed emotion to oppose his usual cold-blooded demeanour. It’s amazing that he actually gets to show a glimmer of humanity and it actually seems realistic and plausible, considering all the horrendous acts we had seen him do.

What I Liked: Chris was kind of like a grim reaper, a spectre of ever-present death on the streets of Baltimore who was calm and sure of his work. Although it didn’t quite click with me how badass he was on first viewing (with the much more obviously showy and great Snoop taking most of the limelight) on the second it is clear this is a man with many demons in the way he carries himself. No reform is going to get him to change his ways, and who can even say what caused it, his (likely) abuse as a child, relationship with Marlo, or simply the changing nature of the game? Who knows, but he and Snoop made definitely the two most terrifying characters. I wish in a way that we could have gotten more background on him, although I know that is against the nature of the show.

Top 3 Moments:

3. “Quick and clean, I promise.”

2. Conversation with Snoop about stuff that only those in Baltimore know, and she hasn’t a clue.

1. Beating up Bug’s dad to a dead mess. Holy shit.

Glass Co.
02-03-2010, 03:53 PM
William Rawls

http://imgur.com/RxTBx.jpg

How He Fit: Royal asshole to anyone below him and political schemer to anyone above him, Rawls was certainly smarter than he may have appeared at first, having an eye for good police-work but more of an eye for good-looking stats and selfish career advancement. He seemed like one of the most stereotypical characters at the beginning of the series (asshole boss who stalls cases from the hard-working Irish cop) but as the show tends to do by the end he is a much more complex character who is nonetheless still a complete asshole.

What I Liked: One of my favourite performances of the show, the way the actor was able to make every syllable so full of contempt whenever he was talking to McNulty or any one of his underlings at Compstat. Pretty much any of his rants in his season 3 could qualify for one of the best moments of the series. Despite that though, he was another character who was easy to hate, partially because you know people like him exist in real life. His in-the-closet revelation was also pretty brilliant, mostly in the way it was never used or brought up again (I’m looking at you, Sopranos) and merely added another layer of complexity to the character. I also just loved his claims in his season 4 that the stats ruined the department and al kinds of other truth, when of course he was one of the keys in that style of thinking. I could never ever work for or deal with this guy in real life, but he is great to watch from the distance of a work of fiction.

Top 3 Moments:

3. Well, she's left the room, Major Colvin. She's out there right now asking the stripper if she can have her job when she grows up because she sure as shit doesn't want yours!"

2. “You wanna translate that for me Erv? I don’t speak his fucked up lingo.”

1. His speech to McNulty after Kima gets shot. Quite a humanizing moment.

Ezee E
02-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Bartlow's whole background can almost be explained when he beats Bug's dad to a pulp.

number8
02-03-2010, 06:32 PM
2. Conversation with Snoop about stuff that only those in Baltimore know, and she hasn’t a clue.

This was quite terrifying for me, because it's obviously such an ineffective way to weed out the New Yorkers, but Partlow didn't really care. It was seeing someone rationalizing murder in such a callous fashion that got to me.

Spaceman Spiff
02-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Rawls was hilarious. He has more than a couple of really great lines.

"You are a cunt hair away from insubordination."

Glass Co.
02-04-2010, 05:44 AM
This was quite terrifying for me, because it's obviously such an ineffective way to weed out the New Yorkers, but Partlow didn't really care. It was seeing someone rationalizing murder in such a callous fashion that got to me.

I completely agree. I definitely had one of those dark humour revelations where I realized what I was laughing at.

Glass Co.
02-06-2010, 02:38 AM
Felicia "Snoop" Pearson

http://imgur.com/2yi04.jpg

How She Fit: Probably the best example of cinema verite in the series, Snoop was a real Baltimore drug dealer who is just basically playing a more hardcore version of herself on the show. Acting along with Chris she helped take out multiple people both inside and outside of vacant houses. Her enjoyment of doing Marlo’s dirty work definitely made her one of the most unnerving and creepy characters of the series, but everything about her style and character was just so unique I couldn’t help but love her. As Stephen King called her, possibly the most terrifying female villain to appear of television.

What I Liked: Although she was just playing a version of herself Pearson did manage to pull out the chops in terms of how terrifyingly sinister her on-screen counterpart is. The more vocal of the two heavy hitters of Marlo’s gang she always showed some enjoyment whenever the killing started again. Like Chris I wish she had been given more background but the real Pearson’s life (or what I’ve read of it) is interesting enough. In a way though her lack of background (like many great horror villains) makes her in a way even more terrifying. I also love that like with Omar being gay, they make a girl be one of the best and most accurate shots on the show. Snoop is just awesome, and if I weren’t making it I would probably complain about her being this low. One of the best parts for me is that there’s still good lot of what she said that I didn’t understand and will hopefully get on a third viewing.

Top 3 Moments:

3. “I’m thinking about some pussy.” “Yeah? Me too.”

2. “How my hair look?” Her whole death scene was fantastic, especially the way she handled it.

1. Nailgun purchase. “I seen a 22 drop a nigga plenty of days, man.”

Glass Co.
02-06-2010, 02:42 AM
Clay Davis

http://imgur.com/GLQvy.jpg

How He Fit: Charming, backstabbing, smarmy, hilarious, sometimes plain evil and always selfish, Clay Davis is another contender for villain of the series. Unlike Levy, he doesn’t hide through the law but through his influence over others and ability to scam and prey on people’s insecurities and hopes. Even more than Valchek he was unbelievably fun to hate, and his little angry tirades never failed to be entertaining. He is possibly the biggest leech we see in the show, using drug money in both the laundered and unlaundered senses, scamming everyone from dealers to politicians to lawyers to keep himself ahead of the pack.

What I Liked: The fact that I was able to enjoy his character at all is a testament to Isiah Whitlock’s acting skills. What should be one of my most hated characters (and is, especially for his big speech and escape in season 5) ends up putting a smile on my face most of the time. He is the epitome of the smarmy politician, and yet like Levy, his crimes are so much worse than this type of character that we usually see on television. Yet every single time he pulls it off with such charm and wit that I always have a certain like for the guy, which is incredibly frustrating. Despite all of that, I really did see what the show was trying to say and how he is a figure not to be admired but looked at as someone who has seen every way to take advantage of the system for his own benefit and others’ detriment. Yet the fact that he pulled it off with such grace definitely made his horrible actions far easier to watch.

Top 5 Moments:

3. First epic “sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit” when Sydnor comes in with his subpoena. There’s no question that it was the most I laughed during the run of the show.

2. His whole conning of Stringer, but especially the “goose that lays them golden eggs.” You can tell he’s having the time of his life.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAQv6KTfQow

ledfloyd
02-06-2010, 10:47 AM
i love his diction during that speech 'i gotta pay my child's assssthma doctor' 'arthur itis'

masterful.

Glass Co.
02-12-2010, 03:13 AM
Ellis Carver

http://imgur.com/XWDzC.jpg

How He Fit: From being pretty much interchangeable with Herc in season 1, it’s pretty amazing how far along Carver came. Part of The Wire’s frequent message that with the right individual’s help (when not impeded by some sort of institution) someone as lousy as Carver can actually make himself into a better person. After Daniels catches him snitching at the end of season 1, we see a slight improvement in Carver, but for the most part he goes to his old ways until Colvin finally shapes him up in season 3. He was one of my favourite aspects of season 4 (among many other things) just because with all the bleakness of that season it was nice to see him improve himself. By the end he’s set to become the next Daniels.

What I Liked: I always thought he was slightly better than Herc, so even in the first couple of seasons I usually enjoyed his presence more because at least whenever they were having a funny conversation I knew there was at least some likeability in there. Still there’s no way he would be this high if not for his transformation of the 3rd and 4th seasons. Seeing how his whole attitude towards the job changes is more of the more subtly affecting things on the show for me personally. And especially with his relationship with Randy, that just absolutely killed me. It was still nice to see him get a good ending after everything.

Top 3 Moments:

3. His epic yelling speech on top of the car. “ We will beat you longer and harder than you beat your own dick!”

2. His friendly “hello” conversation with Bodie in early season 4.

1. Punching the steering wheel in the car after dropping Randy off. Ugh. I could barely watch.

Glass Co.
02-13-2010, 12:41 AM
Dennis “Cutty” Wise

http://imgur.com/u7kxz.jpg

How He Fit: Introduced in season 3 as someone entering back into the game, Cutty takes a few wrong turns but ends up opening up a gym and becoming one of the few uplifting stories of the show. He guides through as many boys as he can to take them away from the hard life of the drug trade, but as we see so many tragically fall through the cracks.

What I Liked: Cutty’s story might be called one of the more “predictable” of the show, but I don’t really see this as a bad thing. Although it is perhaps not as common as those go right back into the criminal lifestyle after a jail sentence, there are those out there who just can’t do it anymore and want to try to do something more. Seeing him go through the headache of getting permits and dealing with the hoppers who show no respect to him makes me admire his character even more. By that point I would probably just give up and go back to making easy money. It is so rewarding to see him just able to get a job to help out the area and give kids a choice away from drugs. A rare and very small victory, but it’s nice that even on a show this cynical that these things can actually happen.

Top 3 Moments:

3. Going to help Michael on the corner and getting shot for his troubles.

2. Telling Avon the game isn’t for him anymore.

1. Staring down Fruit, both of them knowing their history. One of many great dialogue free moments on the show.

number8
02-13-2010, 01:03 AM
The scene where Bunny Colvin corrects the nurse that Cutty got shot trying to pull Michael off the corners gave me immense satisfaction.

Glass Co.
02-13-2010, 01:09 AM
The scene where Bunny Colvin corrects the nurse that Cutty got shot trying to pull Michael off the corners gave me immense satisfaction.

Yes! I almost put that one in, but it wasn't really "his" moment.

Glass Co.
02-13-2010, 02:47 AM
Okay, so we've reached what I believe to be the ultimate characters on the show, so the moments list is getting increased to five.

Roland “Prez” Pryzbylewski

http://imgur.com/UUibQ.jpg

How He Fit: One of the most overtly stupid, incompetent and dislikeable characters at the beginning of the show, and seemingly representing what is wrong with police, he turns around once he finds a mentor (Lester) who guides him into something much more of his liking. After one fuck-up he just couldn’t get around, he becomes a school teacher in what surely single-handily turns him into one of the 20 best characters on the show.

What I Liked: Like most I despised the guy at first, with his brutality and incompetence, and being able to get away with it every time. Slowly we start seeing how he is capable in terms of problem solving, and how much that goes towards the cases. In a way Prez is very similar to Ziggy: both are complete fuck-ups who one would normally despise on real life, but Prez has the support system to grow him out of that. Sadly the street is his undoing when he accidentally shoots a black officer, but through this finds himself as a teacher in a completely different war. Season 4 Prez is one of my favourite character evolutions in television history (probably helps that it was based on Ed Burns’ actual shift between the two. His relationship with Dukie and Randy in particular are two of the most depressing stories I’ve ever encountered.

Top 5 Moments:

5. Both of his Johnny Cash montages, in season 2 setting up all the players in The Greek’s organization, and in season 4 setting up his classroom.

4. Laughing at “tickle my nuts”. I could relate.

3. Doing everyone but himself a favour by punching Valchek.

2. Figuring out the original code in season 1. I was impressed.

1. Getting Dukie his clothes for the first time. This show so often avoids sentimentality that it was just enough for me.

Glass Co.
02-13-2010, 02:59 AM
Avon Barksdale

http://imgur.com/DtzQy.jpg

How He Fit: The first name I learned on the show, and the original player from which the rest of the story comes. He’s the big name at the start of season 1, pretty much owning the most important property in West Baltimore for drug trafficking and the unit’s #1 target. He continues to be head honcho even after going into prison (although Stringer takes over while he is there) and after a ridiculously short sentence pretty much jumps the awesomeness of season 3, before being caught again and serving at least the rest of the show out.

What I Liked: Avon from the beginning struck me as being fairly similar to what I pictured a major black drug kingpin would be like, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t surprise me and have a lot of interesting character moments along the way. He was another character that for me many of his best moments where the other character was arguably more important in the scene (e.g. D’Angelo, Stringer, Cutty), but that didn’t stop them for being great moments, or having his own fantastic specials. My favourite thing about Avon (and much of this goes to the credit of Wood Harris) was his charisma, throughout everything he always seemed an enigmatic guy. I also (even though I preferred Stringer) admired how he had some code of honour to him that his partner and future usurper Marlo did not have, and I always admired his strong (if sometimes misguided) bonds to his family. He was certainly missed after season 3.

Top 5 Moments:

5. Arguing with the ref. “That’s not the one the game is played!” Ignorant motherfucker…”

4. Visiting his brother with D’Angelo. “See, the thing is you only got to fuck up once. Be a little slow, be a little late, just once. And how you ain't gonna never be slow? Never be late? You can't plan for no shit like this man, it's life. Yeah. It scares me.”

3. Letting Cutty leave the game. “He a man today.” What a great pet the dog moment (yes, I’ve been on TVTropes way too much lately).

2. His reaction when the cops finally catch him for good in season 3. The little smile and laugh is something that makes perfect sense when you realize that most of these guys barely it out of their 20s.

1. On the balcony with Stringer. For anyone who has seen it I don’t have to say anything more.

Qrazy
02-13-2010, 04:17 AM
Avon is for sure top 10 for me.

Glass Co.
02-16-2010, 08:59 PM
“Proposition Joe” Stewart

http://imgur.com/ee8qR.jpg

How He Fit: Head of the East Baltimore drug trade for virtually the whole series, Prop Joe was easily one of the most likable characters on the show. The way he managed to play the game so cleverly while leaving the least amount of bodies (but not in the cold, heartless way like Stringer) was extremely endearing. Like the other fat man, Prop always had some clever stuff to say and Robert Chew always performed it with such charm. His connect to the Greeks made him in a way the biggest player in all of Baltimore, and his style of diplomacy over racking up bodies made him a hard target for the police.

What I Liked: Come on, this guy just screamed awesomeness. As soon as he scammed Avon in the basketball game I really hoped we would get to see more of him, and sure enough his role pretty much increased every season onwards. The writers as well always managed to keep him very clever and usually one step ahead of everyone he was dealing with but also kept it realistic and never made him seem like some sort of superdude. Unfortunately his cleverness did not escape the wrath and power-hunger of Marlo, and like most of the people Marlo had killed I really thought he was going to make it out. His story to Stringer about that guy who had no rep and no name making but just made the money had me thinking that this would get him out. I also loved the part where the newspaper’s talk about his death and just gloss over it as nothing.

Top 5 Moments:

5. “That nigga’s got more bodies on him than a Chinese cemetery.” - In reference to Brother Mouzone.

4. “Fool, if it weren’t for Sergei here both you and your cousin both would be cadaverous.”

3. “Omar to one side holding a spade, and maybe Marlo to the other with a shovel, and just at this moment, I manage to crawl out my own damn grave. No way do I crawl back in.”

2. “Who you tellin'? I got motherfuckin' nephews and in-laws fucking all my shit up all the time and it ain't like I can pop a cap in their ass and not hear about it Thanksgiving time. For real, I'm livin' life with some burdensome niggas.”

1. “You ain’t come to see me off.”

That’s right, they’re all quotations.

Spaceman Spiff
02-18-2010, 04:02 AM
WAYYYYY too low. Prop Joe is a top 5, possibly top 3 character.

number8
02-20-2010, 09:27 PM
I expect Freamon's entry to have this beautiful exchange:

"So we got a Barksdale pro calling the wire number twenty minutes after the shooting."
"Good pull! What's your name again?"
"Freamon. Lester Freamon."
"Great to meet you. Where are you working?"
"Pawn shop unit."

Kurosawa Fan
02-20-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm actually very interested to see who you pick as your #1.

number8
02-20-2010, 10:57 PM

I'm just going out on a limb here...

http://www.match-cut.org/image.php?u=906&dateline=1260315358

Glass Co.
02-20-2010, 10:59 PM

"So we got a Barksdale pro calling the wire number twenty minutes after the shooting."
"Pawn shop unit."

Most likely. Everyone's facial expressions after he says it are hilarious too.

Predictions?

Glass Co.
02-20-2010, 11:45 PM
Randy Wagstaff

http://imgur.com/Hpssf.jpg

How He Fit: Arguably the most heartbreaking character on the entire show (a list that is fairly large, I will admit). Randy was actually possibly my least favourite of the four at the beginning of season 4, but it did not take very long for him to win me over with his adorable smiles and clever business-like strategy (in something that seriously made me wonder about Stringer’s childhood and if he at any time may have been this innocent). As I mentioned his relationship with Carver is one of my favourites of the series, and seeing them be torn away was just horrific to watch.

What I Liked: The storyline of the kids in season 4 is many people’s favourite storyline of the series (I would put it right up there with Hamsterdam and the Stringer/Avon conflict for my favourite), and a lot of that was thanks to the acting of the four kids. All so often in the entertainment industry there are kids who I wonder how they made it into the cast of a movie or show (and then I realize that it is probably because their parents are rich and in California), but it still amazes me how pitch-perfect all of the kids were, and Randy is no exception. This is definitely an entry where I have to admit I don’t know much to say, because just thinking about his storyline makes me want to go and cry in a dark corner of the world. Although Michael and Dukie will be higher on the list, I don’t think anyone’s storyline affected me more than Randy.

Top 5 Moments:

5. Suggestion of the piss balloons.

4. Stealing all of the hall passes. This is a bit of a personal moment because I did this in public school.

3. His re-appearance in season 5, obviously completely changed from the smiling happy-go-lucky kid just to survive.

2. “You gonna look out for me Sgt. Carver? You got my back, huh?”

1. “You tried. Thanks.” Actually made me cry. The fact that he could still say that after everything he did and everything he must’ve known was to come showed how big of a heart he had.

Kurosawa Fan
02-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Predictions?

Well, it's going to be one of three: Stringer, McNulty, and Omar. Any top three that doesn't include all of those names doesn't make sense to me. I'll say that your av is misleading and you're going with Stringer.

Benny Profane
02-21-2010, 01:57 PM
I think Omar gets way too much credit for being a great character. There just isn't enough time spent on his character to get into in depth the way some others are, like Colvin or McNulty or Stringer. He's a badass gangster with a moral code with zippy one-liners, who happens to be gay. He works too much on the edges and corners of the story to have that much impact on me.

He is a very interesting character, but not one that defines the show for me. Not even close.

But I'm interested in his write-up when you get to it.

Qrazy
02-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Well, it's going to be one of three: Stringer, McNulty, and Omar. Any top three that doesn't include all of those names doesn't make sense to me. I'll say that your av is misleading and you're going with Stringer.

I wouldn't put McNulty in the top three.

number8
02-21-2010, 05:25 PM
I would. He's probably the most complex character on the show. There's a reason why he's the main character.

Qrazy
02-21-2010, 06:07 PM
I would. He's probably the most complex character on the show. There's a reason why he's the main character.

Hmm I don't find his workaholic alcoholism all that complex. Don't get me wrong, he's a great character played superbly, but I think I actually find Ziggy more complex. And I don't really think of McNulty as the main character. Regardless, for me personally complexity does not act as the gauge for my favorite characters.

Spaceman Spiff
02-21-2010, 06:28 PM
The best character was clearly Bunk.

Hugh_Grant
02-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Prez and Cutty would both be top five for me.

I'm really enjoying this list. Kudos.

Glass Co.
02-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Prez and Cutty would both be top five for me.

I'm really enjoying this list. Kudos.

Thank you, sir. And good discussion about the characters going on too. I am pleased.

Mayor Thomas Carcetti

http://imgur.com/80eNB.jpg

How He Fit: Without a doubt Carcetti is the hardest character in the show for me to pin down. Starting off as a bit of a sleazebag politician, he also showed some signs of actually wanting to improve some aspects of the city (particularly the police department) that we for two seasons had seen how broken they are. After this initial uncertainly, he seems to gain a bit more in the wanting to improve the city category in his run for mayor, which despite his frustrations seemed optimistic and managed to actually get the city along with him (Obama parallels anyone?). After a few good deeds he finds himself stuck in a system unable to change, and ends up no better than Royce. If the mayor can’t change the condition of the city, who the hell can?

What I Liked: The ambiguity that I mentioned. There were so many points, particularly in his big perfectly worded speeches, where I wondered how much of what he was saying was sincerity and how much was pandering for votes (and of course, he shifts more to the latter as the series goes on). Someone smarter than me (might’ve been Alan Sepinwall, whose Wire recaps are awesome for those who haven’t read them) said that the most amazing thing about the series wasn’t that it made us care for cops or criminals or addicts or dockworkers, but that it made us care about politicians. Indeed, with people like Clay Davis and Nerese Campbell it shows many who are pretty despicable, but I never would have imagined at the beginning of season 3 that I would actually grow to care about this white guy’s struggles to become mayor, nor my severe disappointment when he failed to follow through. By the end of the series I was kind of amazed that I did not hate him (a reaction I’ve heard from many) after he completely sold his soul and all of his principles to become governor; but I couldn’t. I know he could’ve taken the money at the end of season 4, but for the most part he was just another pawn, and one of the most cynical (yet true) aspects of The Wire.

Top 5 Moments:

5. Messing around with Burrell at the beginning of season 3. Even though he seemed like a scumbag, anyone giving Burrell a hard time was always going to give me a smile.

4. Epic speech at the end of season 3. He nearly had me pumping my fist even though I realize that the point was speeches and rhetoric are not the key to winning the war on drugs.

3. Losing it in the car over a tuna sub and letting everything he hates about running for mayor come out. Hilarious.

2. Finding out about the fake serial killer in the final episode. Watching him come to terms with it is fantastic. Also hilarious.

1. His reaction to finding out he won. Can’t really put down why I loved this moment so much, but it’s probably one of my favourite minor moments of the series.

Glass Co.
02-28-2010, 01:09 AM
Duquan “Dukie” Weems

http://imgur.com/xZXdM.jpg

How He Fit: Pretty much custom built to break hearts, I was impressed that he never came across that way and always seemed like a true character. It is of course a sad commentary that someone like him can ever exist in his conditions, and Dukie was definitely there as a part of the group to represent those who have absolutely no hope. With Randy and Michael, there was at least a chance had things gone differently that they could have made it out. Dukie was pretty much doomed.

What I Liked: It’s hard to talk about any of the main boys of season 4 without mentioning the other three, but I will say that even on his own Dukie completely hooked me from the start. Even though the other three required some development to really get me invested in them, how can you not feel badly for a kid who lives with a bunch a drug users, also smells, and gets picked on constantly? His relationship with Michael (my favourite of the four) never failed and every scene with the two of them had me completely hooked. Once again the performance was fantastic and I totally believed that this really was a kid from the streets. His progress in school was so heart-warming which makes his eventual fall into the drug world all the more tragic. Of course, him shooting up is arguably the most heartbreaking shot in the entire series, and had me hoping that someday, like Bubbles, he will be able to make it out. I now need to stop writing about this character because it depresses me way too much.

Top 5 Moments:

5. “It’s a serial killer who only kills other serial killers.” I love Dexter, but that line was funny.

4. “How do you get from here to the rest of the world?” Also a great scene for Cutty.

3. Saying goodbye to Michael, and reminiscing about the old piss balloon days.

2. Blowing the fan on the girl who just slashed the other girl’s face. Such a small act of compassion that is just beautiful.

1. Going to ask Prez for money to get his own place and go back to school. Heartbreaking because of what we know it’s really for (and Prez seems to as well).

number8
02-28-2010, 04:06 AM
This is something I've never thought before until I watched it again just now... but does anyone else think the wake scene at Kavanaugh is a bit misplaced? I love it, it's a great scene, great song and Landsman's speech is perfect, but I can't help but feel weird that a department with mostly black cops in a mostly black city would have such an Irish tradition. It doesn't feel wrong because it fits with the Irish Cop stereotype (that's why it didn't occur to me until just now), but I can't help but think it might be a bit forced.

What got me thinking is that the first time it happens in Season 3, the episode was written by Dennis Lehane, and I know it must be authentic for cops in Lehane's Boston. But Baltimore?

Eh, I'm just thinking out loud.

Ezee E
02-28-2010, 04:57 AM
This is something I've never thought before until I watched it again just now... but does anyone else think the wake scene at Kavanaugh is a bit misplaced? I love it, it's a great scene, great song and Landsman's speech is perfect, but I can't help but feel weird that a department with mostly black cops in a mostly black city would have such an Irish tradition. It doesn't feel wrong because it fits with the Irish Cop stereotype (that's why it didn't occur to me until just now), but I can't help but think it might be a bit forced.

What got me thinking is that the first time it happens in Season 3, the episode was written by Dennis Lehane, and I know it must be authentic for cops in Lehane's Boston. But Baltimore?

Eh, I'm just thinking out loud.
I never thought about it too much in general as it may just be a tradition in general. I don't know the police world too well, but firefighters seem to have similar traditions all over the world. It started somewhere and just took off from there, and people follow it regardless.

I'd say the same could be said in Baltimore when it probably was mostly white people in the early 1900's, and tradition just kept it that way. Everyone seemed to go with it.

Morris Schæffer
02-28-2010, 10:52 AM
This is the first time I've entered the thread, but I should have done so sooner. It looks like a hugely entertaining read. So many fabulous characters.

Glass Co.
03-01-2010, 05:34 AM
Speaking of weird observations...I noticed there is a game of checkers going on during the scene where D'Angelo confronts Shardeen outside of Orlando's and she rejects him. Is this saying that her reaction is a little too two-dimensional and she doesn't realize the complex nature of the "chess game" of the drug trade, and hoe D'Angelo is just trapped in his own game?

I am also just thinking out loud.

Glass Co.
03-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Marlo Stanfield

http://fansided.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/marlo.jpg

How He Fit: Beginning by climbing up the ladder of the rug trade through sheer brute force and stubborn-headedness, Marlo began as kind of a parallel for what I imagined Avon’s rise to be like. However if it wasn’t clear in season 3 by season 4 he made his true colours known as a completely detestable psychopath who is only bent on having his name ring out and wearing the crown. I mentioned before that characters like Levy and Davis are the true villains of the show, and while their greed and two-faced natures allow the drug trade to flourish and prevent police from doing their job, they also never killed people just for talking back and put dozens of dead bodies in vacant row homes.

What I Liked: Marlo was a character who, for my first watch of the series (in addition to completely disliking as a human being), I always thought was an above average character that was only competently acted. I felt that he was simply another “silent but psycho” gangster that had been done before. However, his scene is the jail near the end of season 5 completely redeemed his character for me and made my first re-watch a completely different experience in watching his character. For with that one outburst I was able to see how contained both the actor and the character were keeping themselves, with that heated insecurity buried deep beneath the coldly indifferent exterior. I also liked how different Marlo seemed around Chris and Snoop (especially the former) and how in those moments (as well as his scenes with his pigeons) we could see that their was a faint glimpse of humanity in there. Some may consider him too one-note, but I was amazed how vastly he improved for me as a character the second time around, and I always wonder how he got to be the way he was. I still hate his guts, though.

Top 5 Moments:

5. Stealing Herc’s camera. “Camera’s are kind of like pigeons. Sometimes they come back, sometimes not.” Just fucking with Herc in general made him slightly more endearing to me.

4. Shooting Devone even after he survived the intended set-ep. First time he proved how much of a bastard he could be.

3. “You want it to be one way, but it’s the other way.” Chilling, and one of the best lines of the series.

2. Taking the corner back in the final episode. At least he proved that he wasn’t all talk, and that his heart lay with the street.

1. Aforementioned freak-out. “My name is my name!”

[ETM]
03-02-2010, 11:34 PM
I'll repost my thoughts here:

The actor seemed to have a feline quality to him, not only in appearance but in the way he acted and moved. Marlo always seemed like a dangerous wild animal quietly observing the surroundings before it jumps and rips your throat out. It's fitting that he was never going to be "tamed" by the rules, as his motives were always chillingly primal in their simplicity. Many of those who tried ended up dead because they didn't get it. Such a potent contrast to the likes of Avon and especially Stringer.

Glass Co.
03-03-2010, 02:10 AM
Howard "Bunny" Colvin

http://imgur.com/MWMdz.jpg

How He Fit: Following possibly the greatest representation of evil and what’s wrong with the world on The Wire, we have arguably its most admirable character. Beginning as one of the major focuses of “reform” in season 3, Colvin ended up being much more, in that he was one of the greatest examples of a force for good being pushed down by the system that he is in (beaten by only one character, who I’m sure you can all guess). Between his Hamsterdam project and his other experiment in season 4 with the kids Colvin was able to think outside the box, which according to Simon and the show is becoming a quality that is not looked kindly upon in modern-day America.

What I Liked: Bunny is impossible to dislike. If you do, you are an inhuman monster. Despite his noble and admirable character he never felt unrealistic in the morally grey world of The Wire, and I still wonder how much of that was the writing and how much was the acting (of course, as with most cases in this show, it was probably both). Instead of being someone who clearly sees the problems of the Western District and the Baltimore Police Department as a whole completely, Colvin simply wants to save his district and try to put a dent in the decay of parts of his city. Of course this being The Wire, neither succeed at all, but his two attempts are two are my favourite stories of the entire show, as well as two of the most touching. As naïve and idealistic as it may sound, if more government and police officials were like this man there wouldn’t be such a public distrust/fear and the world would be a better place.

Top 5 Moments:

5. His cemetery meet-up with Stringer. Two reformers about to be taken down by their respective institutions.

4. To Namond about his nickname: “If you tell anyone, I’ll cut your balls off. Don’t think I won’t do it.”

3. Taking the kids out for dinner. His hope and then crushing defeat when they realize that it’s not their world is disappointing.

2. The paper bag speech. A brilliant conceit as to why the war on drugs is fundamentally flawed in its basic core.

1. His speech to Carver that sets that character off on his own new personal journey. It is almost a little too on the nose since it is an explicit depiction of why the war on drugs doesn’t work that the creators/writers obviously believe, but it is said with such passion and performed so well (not to mention that it is completely true) that I adore it.

number8
03-03-2010, 03:52 AM
A favorite Marlo moment of mine is: "I'm being a gentleman about it at the moment."

Glass Co.
03-03-2010, 03:54 AM
A favorite Marlo moment of mine is: "I'm being a gentleman about it at the moment."

I almost almost put it on there. It would be #6. The show definitely liked people being subtly threatening with golf clubs (also Burrell when Daniels is confronting him about his supposed backstabbing in the newspaper).

Glass Co.
03-03-2010, 04:22 AM
Another great Marlo scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTIlZUOu0Rc

Benny Profane
03-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Colvin would be top 3 for me. I think the Hamsterdam experiment is one of the best expositions about the drug war ever put on screen and was my favorite part of the whole show. Nice writeup.

Glass Co.
03-06-2010, 04:51 PM
William “Bunk” Moreland

http://imgur.com/EQrw5.jpg

How He Fit: I am almost tempted to leave this whole entry blank as he is one of the most self-explanatory characters of awesomeness ever put on television. Kind of a quote machine just as Landsman was (and also both based on real Baltimore cops), Bunk was even more likable because he was just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick, and in a way he was one of the least trapped in the entire show. As he put it, he just caught a case and worked it. Although starting off as McNulty’s partner he eventually grew into an extremely great character of his own, frequently hilarious and always awesome. He never really changed from the role of comic relief, but frequently showed he had other sides as well, but we’re always going to remember him for those great sayings.

What I Liked: Not obviously considered one of the best performances of the show, Wendell Pierce was in my opinion one of the most consistently great actors on the show, always bringing loads of charisma, wonderful drunken performances, a great way of saying things, and some great adlibs (“Look at that bow-legged motherfucker, I made him walk like that.”) The character is always expertly written, and even though except for season 2 he was never part of the main investigations, he always had a good story to go along. I particularly enjoyed his shifting relationship with Omar over the different seasons, in particular the season 3 scene mentioned in the top five that is rightfully considered by fans as one of the best of the series. Bunk even became a moral compass (who would’ve thought) in season 5 when he refuses to go along with McNulty’s plan. In the category of characters who should get a spin-off, along with Snoop and Clay Davis, Bunk would be right up there.

Top 5 Moments:

5. He and McNulty playing good cop, bad cop at the bar while cruising for women.

4. Burning his clothes because of trace evidence and because it "smells like pussy".

3. “You know what the plural of pussy is? Pussai.”

2. “Okay then, I ain’t all that humble.”

1. Bunk and Omar meeting on the bench where Bunk shows how disgusted he is with the way his old areas have gone, and poking a hole in Omar’s thus far perfect morality.

number8
03-06-2010, 04:53 PM
"Makes me sick, muthafucka, how far we done fell."

Every time I hear that, my heart twang seven different directions.

[ETM]
03-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Favorite Bunk moment for me? Drunk Bunk gets lucky with a woman, and ends up burning his clothes in her bathtub because "they smell like pussy":
8yWp-Byg0Sc

Glass Co.
03-06-2010, 05:43 PM
;246215']Favorite Bunk moment for me? Drunk Bunk gets lucky with a woman, and ends up burning his clothes in her bathtub because "they smell like pussy":
8yWp-Byg0Sc

Oh God, I knew I was forgetting something big, but couldn't think what it was for the life of me. Now I know. The entry will be suitably updated.

Glass Co.
03-06-2010, 05:49 PM
D’Angelo Barksdale

http://imgur.com/jUjuI.jpg

How He Fit: Nephew of Avon, the kingpin of West Baltimore, D’Angelo was in many ways the first aspect of the series that showed to me that this wasn’t just going to be another cops vs. drug dealers series. From the start of season 1 he was our gateway into the drug world, a man who clearly was some moral problems with the drug trade and yet feels simultaneously attracted and trapped by it. Even more than McNulty he was kind of the main character of season 1, as we see how he finally rejects the drug trade and then gets inevitably pulled back into it, and once he shows ideas about not playing along in that institution anymore, he is killed for, in what is arguably the most shocking death in the series, and the gutsiest choice.

What I Liked: I’m sure I’m not the only one who wished that D’Angelo could have stuck around longer. He was fantastically acted (Larry Gilliard Jr. is another actor who doesn’t get enough credit for his work on the series, probably because he had to leave the series so quickly), fantastically written (I especially loved the little detail of him taking a long time to decide on his clothes whenever he had to go into a situation that involved him proving himself to others in the drug trade, or when the drug trade was working for him). As I mentioned in the Wallace entry, that relationship was also one of my favourites, and the heart of season 1. Obviously he is one of the many in the series that find themselves squeezed between the sides of different interests and institutions, but the fact that he was so close to getting out at the end of season 1 made it even worse on my first rewatch knowing what happens. Above all D’Angelo had a heart in an industry that does not tolerate much of such things, especially when running into someone as cold as Stringer.

Top 5 Moments:

5. Talking to Wallace and saying he should go back to school and not be in the game anymore.

4. McNuggets speech. Got my hooked on the series, and introduces much of what the series is trying to say.

3. “Where the fuck is Wallace!?!?”

2. Great Gatsby speech. He way he relates his experience is just heartbreaking. The first time through it was uplifting, knowing how much he has learned about himself and his surroundings.

1. The chess scene. The first time through I felt was a little too obvious and on-the-nose when it seemed like it was just about the drug trade and how those on the bottom are screwed, but it took on a much greater allegory for The Wire’s entire theme of institutions vs. individuals.

number8
03-07-2010, 02:32 PM
What... What the fuck is this?

qzTM6BiUoqo

Benny Profane
03-09-2010, 01:36 PM
I have a semi-unrelated question to ask, sorry if I hijack the thread.

Did it bother anyone that Marlo, Chris and Snoop put the bodies in vacant buildings and not bury them or set them on fire or something? Vacants won't remain vacants forever, they'll either be rehabbed or bulldozed or something. They had to know that the bodies would be discovered eventually. They left them fully in tact and didn't try to disguise much of the evidence. Plus they had to take the person in there with the potential that someone was watching them do it. I don't know, it just didn't seem like a smart move for an organization that did things pretty smartly.

[ETM]
03-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Didn't Chris and Snoop do it by themselves? I don't remember Marlo knowing the details, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, with hundreds upon hundreds of vacants, it could have been years before anyone made the connection, and even then...

number8
03-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Hundreds? Try thousands. Baltimore city has about 15,000 vacant buildings.

Glass Co.
03-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Frank Sobotka

http://imgur.com/SpQNd.jpg

How He Fit: Along with Bunny Colvin perhaps the show’s most admirable character, Frank was a the head of the port union who are clearly having troubles, and on the side in order to help compensate for the losses on the port, and to possible grease enough politicians to maybe get things back to the way they were. Frank almost appears to be a doomed figure from the start, fighting an impossible uphill battle alongside criminals who engage in murder, prostitution, drug smuggling and pretty much every crime under the sun. In many ways he is the closest character on the show to a tragic character if the Greek plays, and arguably the character who represents the show’s whole ethos the best. A man trapped by his own circumstances and trying to make sure that those closest to him didn’t have to suffer the same.

What I Liked: That despite everything I wrote above, Frank never comes across as a completely angelic character, and yet is almost always sympathetic. It’s pretty clear that his devotion to his union drags him further into criminal enterprises than necessary (as he eventually realizes), and that this devotion also drew attention away from Ziggy, making him an even more messed-up individual than he already would have been. Despite this, Frank never comes across as someone who is intentionally harmful to anyone, and that more than anything is what makes me love his character. It’s clear that he doesn’t think much of people like The Greeks or Clay Davis and yet forces himself to be involved with those type of scum because of what it could potential accomplish. The tragic irony of course, is that this is exactly what dooms his union in the end.

Top 5 Moments:

5. Looking at himself in the mirror after Bunk and Lester tell him about the girls being murdered. Before this I considered him a crook who was just too caught up in what he was doing to care, but this is when I knew things would be much more interesting.

4. Reminiscing with Ziggy on the shoreline of the docks. The only scene we really get of the two of them before the shit hits the fan, and it’s so wonderfully underplayed.

3. Proving to himself that he wants to help out his working men on the docks by taking Little Big Roy’s card.

2. His talk with Ziggy in the jail cell. “You’re a Sobotka.”

1.Walking to his inevitable death. That image haunted me for a while, and would probably still make me sad if I even saw a still.

Qrazy
03-11-2010, 03:01 PM
I have a semi-unrelated question to ask, sorry if I hijack the thread.

Did it bother anyone that Marlo, Chris and Snoop put the bodies in vacant buildings and not bury them or set them on fire or something? Vacants won't remain vacants forever, they'll either be rehabbed or bulldozed or something. They had to know that the bodies would be discovered eventually. They left them fully in tact and didn't try to disguise much of the evidence. Plus they had to take the person in there with the potential that someone was watching them do it. I don't know, it just didn't seem like a smart move for an organization that did things pretty smartly.

Didn't bother me. The old school way was just to leave the corpses in the open. These guys went the next step and hid the bodies. I'm sure if there were another season all the characters would have watched Breaking Bad and they'd be dissolving the bodies in acid or some shit.

Hugh_Grant
03-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Thank you, sir. And good discussion about the characters going on too. I am pleased.
Ma'am. :D

Carcetti would be higher on my list, but only for a very shallow reason: Aiden Gillen is so hot.

Thanks for mentioning the awesome Alan Sepinwall.

Re: Bunny

3. Taking the kids out for dinner. His hope and then crushing defeat when they realize that it’s not their world is disappointing.

I LOVE this scene. So heartbreaking, so real.

[ETM]
03-11-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm sure if there were another season all the characters would have watched Breaking Bad and they'd be dissolving the bodies in acid or some shit.

They could have gotten it it from numerous other sources, like Pulp Fiction.

number8
03-11-2010, 07:07 PM
;247497']They could have gotten it it from numerous other sources, like Pulp Fiction.

I believe it is a reference to how The Wire characters have been seen watching other TV shows like Oz, Deadwood and Dexter.

[ETM]
03-11-2010, 07:49 PM
I believe it is a reference to how The Wire characters have been seen watching other TV shows like Oz, Deadwood and Dexter.

Ah, yeah, I had forgotten all about that.

Ezee E
03-11-2010, 09:21 PM
There's a Deadwood reference?

number8
03-11-2010, 10:48 PM
There's a Deadwood reference?

Yeah, when Cutty is in the hospital after getting shot, the guy in the bed next to him is watching Deadwood and saying, "Hehehe he called him a cocksucker hehehe."

Ezee E
03-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Yeah, when Cutty is in the hospital after getting shot, the guy in the bed next to him is watching Deadwood and saying, "Hehehe he called him a cocksucker hehehe."
Ah that's right. Good call.

number8
03-11-2010, 10:55 PM
The Oz one is easily my favorite, just because it was Omar and his boyfriend cuddling in front of the TV watching Meloni and Beecher.

Spaceman Spiff
03-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Bunk is amazing. I honestly wish I was him.

Glass Co.
03-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Michael Lee

http://imgur.com/Omlfp.jpg

How He Fit: In many ways the leader of the group of four boys, Michael seemed to be the most likely to escape the drug trade at first. Unfortunately, old demons in the way of his step-father come back to haunt him which leads him to going for help from the only people he can. Michael is (like Frank) one of the best examples of how an uncaring and unsympathetic world can lead someone into a path of crime. Having the most mysterious past out of any of the bunch at the beginning of season 4 made him seem like he could become a many number of things, and it is interesting looking back at old posts on boards how many different characters people predicted Michael would turn into (Avon, Omar, Stringer, Marlo, Chris, etc.).

What I Liked: I have to admit the show completely “fooled” me in regards to the character of Michael. After three seasons of seeing people get screwed over by the system you figure I would learn my lesson, but I really put my hopes into Michael that he would buck the system. He had so many admirable qualities: loyal, courageous, self-sufficient, caring, and strong. Unfortunately these admirable qualities are what ultimately led him into the drug trade, but also eventually allowed him to make some rules of his own, becoming the next Omar. His relationships with Dukie and Bug showed his loyalty and caring, but unfortunately these were brushed away by circumstances beyond his control. What I loved most of all about the storyline of the kids overall was how they always acted like kids, never saying anything they wouldn’t have said, or that was beyond their knowledge/understanding. I realize this is true of every aspect of Baltimore that the show analyzed, but either just because it was kids or it was the creators’ intention, I felt that there was an even sharper degree of realism in their storyline, which made someone like Michael’s failed escape out of his circumstances even worse.

Top 5 Moments:

5. Refusing to take Marlo’s money and standing his ground when the drug kingpin confronted him. It impressed Marlo and me too.

4. Saying goodbye to Bug. That little crack in his voice when he says goodbye is just fantastic acting.

3. Showing up as the new Omar. One of the few triumphant moments in the show.

2. “He ain’t coming back.” Chilling, and as the audience we see how far to the dark side he’s gone.

1. “I don’t.” One of the closest times I’ve come to crying in a work of fiction, and probably more than any other moment of the entire show.

Glass Co.
03-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Lester Freamon

http://imgur.com/8qKzs.jpg

How He Fit: Cool Lester Smooth. Starting out as a hump who sat around playing with wooden carvings all the time Lester finally came out of his shell after thirteen years and four months on the shelf for doing police work. The most talented police officer that we see during the entire run of the series (save for perhaps McNulty on a few instances), Lester also had the wisdom and foresight to see beyond his own self-interest in a case (well, to a point at least). Because he avoided tantrums he was often far more likable than McNulty and became the most honourable cop on the show as well (depending on your view of his actions in season 5).

What I Liked: I wanted to be this guy. Even though I’m not black, I want to be almost exactly like Lester when I am older. He is able to charm or guilt his way into doing police work, pick up girls far younger than him without the efforts of McNulty or Bunk, and know how to run an investigation inside and out, whether it is paper work, on the streets, or with wiretaps. Of course he’s not perfect. Even if his ego is not obvious like McNulty, it is definitely there. For example, think of in season 4 when he goes after the politicans. Yes, it is pretty much his only chance to do so for reasons he explains, but as a result gets the Major Crimes unit gutted right when the streets are at their most dangerous with Marlo. Still, this is some serious nitpicking and even though I certainly questioned his morality in season 5 by going along with McNulty’s plan and even adding some details of his own, but regardless he was always trying to put actual dangerous criminals away, which sadly is more than can be said for most of the BPD.

Top 5 Moments:

5. Throwing down the boxing poster of Avon Barksdale and then walking away. This is surely the moment when he turned to awesome.

4. “I don’t wanna go to no dance unless I can rub some tit.”

3. “Me? I’m just a police.” Plus the over the glasses look that says “I’m the father you never had, and I don’t want to be disappointed in you again.”

2. “Negro, you cannot travel halfway around the world and not speak any motherfuckin’ English.”

1. “You ain’t even worth the skin of my knuckles junior.” The only time we ever see him lose his cool, but with good reason.

Milky Joe
03-15-2010, 12:19 AM
1. “I don’t.” One of the closest times I’ve come to crying in a work of fiction, and probably more than any other moment of the entire show.

Yep. Except you need to soften up a bit, let those tears go! That's what fiction's for.

Glass Co.
03-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Yep. Except you need to soften up a bit, let those tears go! That's what fiction's for.

"Man don't shed no tears."

Aw man, just remembering that scene is almost making me tear up now. :( And yes, I am aware that Michael's quotation is a result of his hardened attitude on the streets, in case anyone thinks I'm stupid.

ledfloyd
03-15-2010, 12:31 AM
there are too many good characters on this show. i can think of like 20 that should be in the top five. lester would be one of em.

number8
03-15-2010, 12:51 AM

"Pawn shop unit."

Disappointed. :P

Glass Co.
03-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Sorry dude, but ledfloyd's point about characters also applies to moments. :)

Or, jackass reply: Make your own goddamn list!

Glass Co.
03-16-2010, 12:50 AM
Preston “Bodie” Broadus

http://imgur.com/nyUrj.jpg

How He Fit: Beginning as the toughest, roughest and most street-bred and ready to use violence of any of the underlings we meet in the projects, he oddly ends up becoming the sanest and most caring by the end. For Bodie was one who truly believed that if he listened to whoever was ranked above him things would turn out okay, and they had his best interests mind. Once the Barksdale empire collapses, he of course finds out that this is no longer the case, as he increasing frustrations with the way Marlo treats virtually everyone as beneath him and with contempt. A pawn perhaps more than any other, he finally at least gets it before he gets got.

What I Liked: I hated Bodie at the beginning, and I think it’s safe to say I wasn’t the only one. He was obviously the biggest punk out of the main characters in the Pit that we meet and the most into the game overall. Being directly responsible for Wallace getting shot would be on pretty much any other show the final straw in terms of a character’s likeability. That I was eventually able to like him as much as I did, feel awful when he died, and then miss him more than any other character after they were gone speaks volumes for J.D. Williams’ performance and the writing of his character. One scene I completely forgot about on my first watch was when Herc talks to Bodie’s grandmother who tells him of Bodie’s family problems, and it was then that it clicked that Bodie was a victim of the streets just as much as anyone, and especially when compared to Marlo’s crew he doesn’t get satisfaction out of the horrible acts he commits. I love that he actually grew to have somewhat friendly relationships with Carver and McNulty as well. Overall, as I mentioned, even if his death didn’t hit quite as hard as some others, I missed Bodie after he died more than any other character. Because I think in a way I thought he was going to make it out. Unlike Wallace, D’Angelo, Stringer, and a host of others, he never tried to get out of the game, and yet it still treated him like shit. Yet another entry that is getting me down, so I will leave it at that.

Top 5 Moments:

5. His confusion as to the difference of radio stations outside of Baltimore. And then he keeps listening to A Prairie Home Companion. :lol:

4. Killing Wallace. For as much as I hated him for it, he clearly was battling himself internally, but for season 1 the law of the streets was prime. He was put into that position, as was just as much a victim as his old friend.

3. Going shopping for D’Angelo’s funeral. These clashing of cultures are always hilarious, but this was one of the best. “Pink? I mean, he wasn’t all that but when you stand with a nigga you stand with him until the end.”

2. Conversation with McNulty just before his death. “I feel old, man.” Subtly powerful, even exceptional writing.

1. His final stand. At least he was able to go out how he would have wanted to, even if it was cut short.

Milky Joe
03-16-2010, 01:16 AM
Great picks for a fantastic character. I'm getting a lump in my throat thinking about his death. Definitely one of the hardest ones to watch, for me anyway. And the fact that it was Michael who killed him hurts even more.

Glass Co.
03-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Great picks for a fantastic character. I'm getting a lump in my throat thinking about his death. Definitely one of the hardest ones to watch, for me anyway. And the fact that it was Michael who killed him hurts even more.

It wasn't, actually. Remember that scene where Chris says something to the effect that his first kill shouldn't be someone he knows? It was one of the other younger Stanfield kids, the one who gets shot in the shoot-out with Omar in the apartment in season 5.

Qrazy
03-16-2010, 02:15 AM
Kudos on putting Bodie so high.

Milky Joe
03-16-2010, 02:16 AM
I'm... pretty sure it was. He steps out of the doorway with his hood up and pops him in the back of the head (because he's Michael and he's intelligent like that).

number8
03-16-2010, 02:22 AM
It wasn't Michael.

Glass Co.
03-16-2010, 02:25 AM
I'm... pretty sure it was. He steps out of the doorway with his hood up and pops him in the back of the head (because he's Michael and he's intelligent like that).

It does look very much like him, and until I was told otherwise I thought it was too. Here's the relevant snipet from the HBO synopsis though:

"Unable to convince Bodie to flee, Poot finally runs for cover, passing a young hooded boy - O-Dog, one of Snoop and Chris' trainees - who creeps up to Bodie and shoots him in the head."

Winston*
03-16-2010, 02:37 AM
I thought it was Michael too. :sad:

We can be racists together, Milky Joe.

Milky Joe
03-16-2010, 02:51 AM
Huh. Just watched the scene again ("Bodie, c'mon man!"--"*shakes his head*"--tears). Glad it wasn't Michael, though the moral complexities involved if it had been were pretty magnificent...

number8
03-16-2010, 11:27 AM
I actually would put his #2 over #1. As great as his death was, his conversation with McNulty is just devastatingly sad.

Morris Schæffer
03-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Fantastic write-ups! Memories flooding back. Good stuff.

Boner M
03-16-2010, 12:55 PM
One of my favorite Bodie moments is the bemused stare he gives Marlo in the S3 scene where the latter is swinging an air-club to himself on the corner. I can't remember their conversation but it always sticks out in my mind as one of the multitude of memorable micro-gestures among characters in the show (let alone those in which Marlo's authority is subtly undermined).

number8
03-16-2010, 04:54 PM
"I need you to move your people off these corners... I'm being a gentleman about it at the moment."

Glass Co.
03-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Kudos for the compliments and comments all. Great to see the Bodie love is strong in da house. Such an underrated character. His spitting prowess is something I one day hope to master.

Ezee E
03-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Kudos for the compliments and comments all. Great to see the Bodie love is strong in da house. Such an underrated character. His spitting prowess is something I one day hope to master.
I've tried. Can't do it.

Glass Co.
03-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Jimmy McNulty

http://imgur.com/et1cH.jpg

How He Fit: As close as the show got to a main character, Jimmy was always a mass of contradictions and uncertainties (in the audience’s mind at least, he was certainly with a few exceptions almost always sure of himself). Booze hound, determined crime fighter, egoist, unfaithful, rebel, cunning, intelligent, one-track-minded. You get the point. McNulty, though obviously not at the top of the list, can certainly be argued as being the most complex character of the show. At first he made a nice inward way for white viewers or anyone who is familiar with detective or cop fiction: the drunken Irish cop who just wants to do right. The nice thing about The Wire is it takes that character to its logical conclusion: someone who is bad for everyone around them, arrogant, and sometimes for all his bullheadedness to do the right thing, actually causes more problems than he solves (think of the Barksdale empire’s collapse being replaced by the Stanfield one). A continuing crusader, he was easy to relate to in season 1 when he (with the exception of D’Angelo) seemed like the only one who was out to dismantle the stupid and unfair logic of their institutions. Of course, as it becomes clearer and clearer that he is feeding his own ego, he grows rapidly more dislikeable, but I like to think that by the end of the series he has found some sort of peace and the good side of Jimmy McNulty (whatever one wants to define that as) won in the end.

What I Liked: As much as his ego fed into it, I like to believe that there was a part of Jimmy McNulty, however small and subconscious, that really did want to better the world somehow. A small example of this would be his decision to rejoin Major Crimes at the end of season 4. Although this leads to an even worse version of the old Jimmy McNulty who would let nothing stand in the way of his unstoppable ego, it was initially borne out of frustration for indirectly getting Bodie killed. He obviously wasn’t as selfless as Kima or even Lester, who seemed to actually want to better the streets, even if they weren’t complete angels. In addition, he even made it obvious to himself whenever he was “defeated” (when Kima gets shot and when Stringer is killed before he can lock him up) that what he was doing was part of his own crusade to have everybody love him and show how fucked up the department is. The more I go on, the less convinced I am of my original hope, but regardless Jimmy did show that he was not a horrible person, merely (to paraphrase the man himself) that what made him right for some things made him completely wrong for others. In his one season of being a generally good person (season 4) he shows that he does have that other side, and whether one wants to view his even greater descent in season 5 as a personal choice, affected by circumstance, or merely an inevitable by-product of the theory that people do not change (which as many arcs show that Simon and Burns don’t believe this). Regardless of his morally questionable choices, I unlike some people never stopped liking him completely. Yes, during parts of both seasons 3 and 5 I really disliked his method of screwing the system over (including people like Daniels who aren‘t really part of the problem) just to satisfy his own inner cravings, but it does seem like after enough defeat he does eventually realize that there is more to life and that caring for people other than himself can be valuable. Most of all it was nice to see a major cop on TV who didn’t crusade because they feel they have to save their victims or help rid the scum off the streets that I just cannot even watch anymore on crap like CSI. As great as it was that The Wire never really had a main character, I think McNulty worked extremely well as a way to make things happen and ended up being a fantastic character on his own.

Top 10 Moments:

10. Walking away from Theresa in the restaurant when he realizes what her game is about.

9. Double moment, but both of his flip-outs in season 1 against the FBI and Maurice Levy respectively for being a bunch of assholes. I also love that he manages to yell at all three of his awesome legal connections at beginning of the season (Rhonda, Fitzhu, and Judge Phelan) for not standing with him enough. I can relate to an extent, but geez what an ass.

8. Calling out Templeton for his bullshit. However weak Templeton may have been as a character, it didn’t make me enjoy this moment any less. Also a good moment for Jimmy himself as he realizes how much of a joke he’s become.

7. Hearing his own characteristics described back to him at the FBI profile. “They’re in the ballpark.”

6. Spending hours of his life just to give Rawls more bodies to deal with for the lulz.

5. He and Bunk playing good cop bad cop at the bar. Utterly ingenious, whatever you might think of it morally.

4. His drunk driving in season 2. Dominic West was fantastic across the board, but his drunken antics are some of the funniest and most accurate I’ve ever seen on screen. His sweeping hand motion makes this moment for me. Not to mention that it sums up his character perhaps better than any other scene.

3. Entering Stringer’s apartment. “Who the fuck was I chasing?” I can’t even describe it, but this moment is almost beautiful. He and Stringer were almost like a pair of dancers, and this moment makes McNulty completely re-evaluate everything he was crusading towards.

2. The “fuck” scene. No explanation needed I’m sure.

1. This lovely exchange:

Det. James 'Jimmy' McNulty: You know why I respect you so much, Bunk?
Det. William 'Bunk' Moreland: Mm-mmm.
Det. James 'Jimmy' McNulty: It's not 'cause you're good police, 'cause, y'know, fuck that, right?
Det. William 'Bunk' Moreland: Mm. Fuck that, yeah.
Det. James 'Jimmy' McNulty: It's not 'cause when I came to homicide, you taught me all kinds of cool shit about . . . well, whatever.
Det. William 'Bunk' Moreland: Mm. Whatever.
Det. James 'Jimmy' McNulty: It's 'cause when it came time for you to fuck me . . . you were very gentle.
Det. William 'Bunk' Moreland: You damn right.
Det. James 'Jimmy' McNulty: See, 'cause you could have hauled me out of the garage and just bent me over the hood of a radio car, and . . . no, you were, you were very gentle.
Det. William 'Bunk' Moreland: I knew it was your first time. I wanted to make that shit special.
Det. James 'Jimmy' McNulty: It was, man. It fucking was.

Milky Joe
03-16-2010, 10:44 PM
You could probably do a Top 100 McNulty moments list and it still wouldn't be comprehensive.

Glass Co.
03-16-2010, 10:48 PM
You could probably do a Top 100 McNulty moments list and it still wouldn't be comprehensive.

I concur, and the same thing could be said of my top three characters as well.

Milky Joe
03-16-2010, 11:12 PM
For instance, (and I understand why you might have left it out since it was just mentioned in the previous entry) his taking a liking to Bodie and developing a quasi-relationship with him, taking him to lunch and so forth. Such a human, good-natured moment, one of his character's finest, really: until it so heartbreakingly backfires. "you're a soldier, Bodie." "hell, yeah."

Morris Schæffer
03-17-2010, 11:40 AM
I don't remember all those McNulty moments. That conversation with Bunk for instance. Funny stuff.

The drunk driving I do remember. Hilarious that he backtracks.

[ETM]
03-17-2010, 07:31 PM
The drunk driving I do remember. Hilarious that he backtracks.

If I had to pick just one sequence that explains the essence of what McNulty is, that would be the one.

Benny Profane
03-17-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm worried that the most annoying character on the show will be your #1.

Adam
03-17-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm worried that the most annoying character on the show will be your #1.

Bubbles? He was fun in small doses in the first season but, yeah, he weighed down the fifth like a mutha. Most annoying character for me is easily Brother Mouzone, though

Great job on the list, Glass Co, even if I think it would have been more interesting if you did like a top 20 or so, instead

Benny Profane
03-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Bubbles? He was fun in small doses in the first season but, yeah, he weighed down the fifth like a mutha. Most annoying character for me is easily Brother Mouzone, though

Yes, and I agree, but I was just talking about the main characters.

[ETM]
03-17-2010, 09:15 PM
That's the best performance of the entire show you're talking there.

Glass Co.
03-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Great job on the list, Glass Co, even if I think it would have been more interesting if you did like a top 20 or so, instead

After all the spare time I've used making this list I'm almost inclined to agree, but thanks.

This Bubbles bashing is severely unacceptable though. You people are heartless. Heartless!

Glass Co.
03-17-2010, 10:54 PM
;248871']That's the best performance of the entire show you're talking there.

This is more like it.

number8
03-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Eyyo, McNutty.

Glass Co.
03-18-2010, 02:33 AM
Reginald “Bubbles” Cousins

http://imgur.com/n2jZS.jpg

How He Fit: The one I rooted for from the very beginning. While in the first few episodes I was still struggling to get a grasp of names, faces, characters, locations, terminology (all of which of course Bubs is a master at), and pretty much everything under the sun, Bubbles was an instant person to latch on to and root for. A junkie who steals and snitches to get his next fix, he along with D’Angelo were the first things to really endear me to the show. Always kind of in the background and subtly affecting things in the plot and investigations, Bubbles was more important as being the heart of the show. His struggle was painful to watch, and yet in spite of the fact that he was trapped in a cycle of addiction he never failed to be entertaining and endearing.

What I Liked: What was there not to like? In such a universe as morally grey, cold, and uncaring as the one presented in The Wire having a character who generally was caring and looked out for those who needed it, even if he was a thieving junkie, was always a breath of fresh air. I honestly believe that if Bubbles had not made it out at the end of the show I would have a much harder time re-watching the show, as it would have been just too much of a downer, even with the personal victories of people like Namond, Cutty, Carver, etc. Another one of the biggest reasons why Bubbles is so high up is that I have come to the conclusion that out of all the fantastic performances in the show Andre Royo’s is the best. Every little nuance, facial tick, vocal inflection, is just perfect and it is a travesty that he received no Emmy nominations and isn’t getting roles out the ass now. He could play high unbelievably accurately, and shifted between comedic and tragic so effortlessly that he was able to bring laughter or tears depending on what the moment called for. Some little things about him that I loved: his laughter when he was high, the way he would wipe off his face, that he called McNulty “McNutty”, the hat trick, his encyclopaedic knowledge of the Baltimore west side (except citizens), his habit of saying “obliged” (which I now do ALL THE TIME), and a host of others that I’m sure I could remember if I watched the series again with a notepad. While it could be argued that Bubbles storyline was sometimes separate of whatever main event was happening at the time and thus “unnecessary” I would disagree that this really matters, as part of the point is that a person like Bubbles in the real world is uncared for unless he can be used for something (even Kima, who I believe did genuinely care for him, does not have as much at stake with him once she moves to Homicide). I’m just glad he made it out of the game, and although The Wire as a whole has made my opinion of those in the drug trade significantly better, none did moreso than Bubbles. If I ever get some pipes ripped out of my wall, I will just hope it was someone like Bubs who did it.

Top 10 Moments:

10. That little salute he gives the American flag when he firsts goes to ask his sister to stay at her place in season 1.

9. Convincing Squeak to take the phones. “Talk a cat off of a fish cart.”

8. “You equivocating like a motherfuck.” Johnny always annoyed me, so seeing him taken down a peg was always nice. Plus a great quotation on its own.

7. His walk through Hamsterdam. Almost like something out of a dystopian movie. More of a great moment in and of itself than for him, which is why it’s not higher.

6. The scam he and Johnny pull on the ladder dude. “I best be the bad guy so he ain’t confused.”

5. His breakdown when Walon comes to see him in season 4. No reason here but fantastic acting.

4. Dressing down Sydnor on his junkie uniform. “Dead soldiers” is one of my favourite terms on the series.

3. Turning himself in after unintentionally killing Sherrod. Seeing him hung up made my heart stop for a few seconds.

2. Getting up in front of his N.A. group to finally talk about Sherrod’s death. I lied when I said that Michael’s moment was the closest to making me cry, this one was actually even more so. “Ain’t no shame in holding onto grief, as long as you make room for other things too.”

1. Going up those stairs to eat with his sister. All of the hardship, death and suffering that I saw throughout the series was made up for by this one moment.

Glass Co.
03-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Omar Little

http://imgur.com/OiqIy.jpg

How He Fit: The gay stick-up man who made corner boys shit their drawers. Not being bound to an institution alone made Omar a unique character in the world of Baltimore, not to mention his unique phrasings, manner of intimidation, cleverness, sexual preference, attire and a host of other aspects that have made him the major image of The Wire and its most popular, endearing, and above all iconic character. Omar has a larger-than-life figure that would almost seem out of place on the show if it didn’t fit so right. By that I mean that I’m sure if one were to meet a Baltimore stick-up artist that they would seem similarly massive (as a sidenote, I would recommend looking up an interview with Donnie Andrews, who was one of the stick-up artists Omar is based on and plays one of Butchie’s soldiers later in the series and is an extremely intelligent individual). If Bubbles was the heart of The Wire, then Omar was the soul. I knew that after season 1 if the show ever turned sour (which it never did for me) that Omar would surely always be a rock to hold onto. He definitely fit the “Hollywood badass” image more than any other character, having frequent one-liners, a sense of fear whenever he stepped into an area, and while this shirts the line of realism set up in the show it never breaks it because Michael K. Williams and the writers manage to make him seem so convincing. A living embodiment of cool retribution, Omar will probably live on more than any other aspect of the show, whether that is fair or not.

What I Liked: Just to get it out of the way, he is not #1 simply by matter of personal preference (which I’ll get into in the Stringer article). These top two are two of the greatest characters in fiction I have ever encountered, and it kills me not being able to put Omar at the top, because in many ways he surely deserves it. On to what I liked, I think that this entry could be summed up as “everything”, but in particular how he embodied the code of the streets, not snitching to police unless necessary or in his own best interest, bringing furious retribution over those who crossed the line, keeping a force of power that was known in the community outside of the dealers and police. That’s why Omar is really such an amazing character, above everything else: he is the grey area that the entire show is attempting to display, summed up in one character. He has a perfect moral code (at least in his own mind; Bunk does poke quite a few holes into it), uses violence to achieve his ends in a world plagued by it, goes on Robin Hood type crusades, and has a desire to keep promises. Of course one can only have so perfect a moral code in the projects of Baltimore, and it does get compromised a few times (having Tosha killed to get back at the Barksdales, breaking his promise to Bunk to get back at Marlo) but it is always understandable. His little sayings and nuances were always awesome and have managed to creep their way into my everyday terminology: “Indeed”; “Well now”; “Do tell”; “Hey now”; “I think not”. And while I said Andre Royo had the best performance in the show, Michael K. Williams certainly has much to say about that. With a lesser performers Omar would have come across as lame, but it’s no coincidence that Williams was snatched after one audition. Especially on television, it is rare to see an actor inhabit a role so naturally and make everything that character does seem important. Williams/Omar was captivating on every occasion, and when you consider that his screen time was actually more limited than you’d probably remember, that makes it all the more impressive. The way he went out was shocking and heartbreaking but was quite fitting and perfect for the show. No grandstanding against Marlo or his people, just a random kid from the streets already trying to make a name for himself. He deserved better, but it just goes to show how hopeless things are when even a legend can be dropped so easily and casually. Again, by all rights he should be #1, and I hope The Wire Gods and fans will forgive me.

Top 10 Moments (Apologies for any forgotten, because he must have 50+ awesome ones):

10. Attacking the guy in jail. “Could have made us a couple of babies.” Sums up Omar so well in that he keeps it both gay and badass.

9. Figuring out Aries for the security guy. It was little touches like this that made the show special.

8. His reaction when he hears Butchie’s fate. Maybe Williams’ finest acting moment.

7. Final scene of season 1: “I’ll take about three or four hundred.” “All in the game, yo.”

6. Popping out to surprise Stinkum. “Hey now…” BAM! The moment that hooked me for his character. “You come at the king, you best not miss.”

5. Double moment: Buying a pack of Newports from Andre’s store while he is robbing him and asking for change, and getting his clocked fixed at Prop Joe’s.

4. Dressing up as an old man to take a re-up. “Thank you, young man.”

3. Going in his pyjamas to get a box of Honey Nut and ending up with a few g-pacs just out of sheer image. “How you gonna expect to run with the wolves come night, when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?”

2. Sticking up Marlo’s poker game. “I don’t know much about cards but I think these four-fives beat a full house.” “Boy you got me confused with a man who repeats himself.” “Money ain’t got no owners, only spenders.” I would go gay for this man.

1. Owning Maurice Levy in the court room. “You got the briefcase, I got the shotgun.” I love that even without his usual tools of violence he could still win through sheer charisma.

number8
03-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Ah, so Stringer it is. :P

Glass Co.
03-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Russell “Stringer” Bell

http://imgur.com/MNE0J.jpg

How He Fit: Number two man to Avon Barksdale, Stringer was kind of the cool businessman in season 1, but once his partner gets locked up he is forced to start making the decisions, which leads to one of the best character arcs and storylines I’ve ever seen. A man who played firmly by the laws of capitalism and business until his bitter end, he was a man who could have been many things if circumstances had been different. His paradox was that even he couldn’t see this: in his final moments he calls for Brother Mouzone and Omar to take some money of his, completely missing the point of the fact that he horribly betrayed them both. Loyal yet deceptive, smart, cold, calculating, arrogant, yet with too much hubris for the drug world to allow. Eventually he becomes one of the show’s focuses of reform, and through all of his terrible acts to rise in the world of moneymaking and “better himself” (at least as he thinks) they all come back to haunt him. Stringer was a mass of contradictions, running a disorganized enterprise unbelievably orderly, trying to avoid bodies unless it served his purpose,. He never really cared much about people unless it served him either, as his closeness with Donette, which at first seemed like a major reason for him to off D’Angelo, in hindsight seems like merely a way to check on whether he is under threat from either D’Angelo or McNulty.

What I Liked: I have always been a sucker for the villain, especially the complex villain. As much as I flipped my top 3 around, with Omar in particular being at spot 1 for a while, I just could not let that up. Also the fact that Stringer’s storyline (especially in the third season) captivated me more than anything else on the show, save perhaps the kids’ story in season 4. He was a character I simultaneously hated and loved, whose philosophy of life I could find disgusting but still relate to and even at times respect. For even after putting the hit on both Wallace and D’Angelo, I could not bring myself to completely despise the guy. For one thing, he was so effortlessly cool and suave, and for another I’m kind of a loner myself, and in a warped way (that made me question my own way of looking at the world, believe me) I could see why he viewed everyone as products. He grew up in a world where human life was not much valued to begin with, I can see his way of thinking, to not see people as completely disposable in the vein of Marlo, but as those who can be used to gain more out of life. Whatever your views on capitalism, a lot of it boils down to this. His attempt to reform the drug trade and make it legitimate were honourable even if borne out of pure selfishness (in a nice parallel with McNulty; I’m sure a lot could be written about those two). None of this of course excuses any of his actions, and I never forgave him for what happened to Wallace or D, but that was the genius of his character. He was made understandable, as very close to “our” world and not much different than a CEO, and yet his actions were made very foreign. That he turned out to be as much a tragic figure as those who condemned to death was one of the most brilliant twists I think I’ve ever seen, and served as both a sense of karmic justice (his death is set up very similar to Wallace’s), and fit in with the Greek tradition of hubris. Stringer tried to get as close to the sun as he possibly could, but found that the higher he went, the hotter and brighter it got. He was trapped between two worlds, and no matter how much of a horrible person he may have been, he maybe can be pitied for that.

Top 10 Moments:

10 .Meeting with Omar in a crowd. “I don’t know nobody named Barksdale.”

9. Talking with McNulty is his copy shop. I was so frustrated that it seemed like he was completely insulated and was hoping for McNulty to take him down. My wishes were completely turned on their heads by the end of the season.

8. Meeting with Levy to go over the Clay Davis papers. I love that Levy figures out the game within minutes. That shot of Stringer standing alone in the courtyard is brilliant.

7. His first meeting with the Robert’s rules of order. “Adjourn your asses.”

6. “New package same as the old man.” His speech to D’Angelo about how with weaker product was brilliant and showed what type of man he really was for the first time.

5. “Nigga, is you takin’ notes on a criminal fuckin’ conspiracy? What the fuck is you thinkin‘?” Possibly my biggest laugh-out-loud moment of the series.

4. 40-degree say speech.

3. Confronting Avon about D’Angelo’s death. Maybe the one time he doesn’t do something with his usual business mentality. In fact Avon seemed like the one person he actually respected and didn’t want his reputation to be harmed.

2. His death scene. Even at the point of death he could only see things in terms of money. “Well, get on with it motherfuck-”.

1. On the balcony with Avon. Words can’t describe the greatness of this scene, so just watch it.

number8
03-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Ah, you missed my favorite Stringer moment, actually. It's when he's asking Slim Charles to kill Clay Davis, and Slim's all "Downtown Clay Davis? String, you're talking some assassination shit." Just a perfect moment of him being completely caught between the business world and the drug world and not knowing what to do.

[ETM]
03-18-2010, 09:16 PM
I could see why he viewed everyone as products. He grew up in a world where human life was not much valued to begin with, I can see his way of thinking, to not see people as completely disposable in the vein of Marlo, but as those who can be used to gain more out of life. Whatever your views on capitalism, a lot of it boils down to this. His attempt to reform the drug trade and make it legitimate were honourable even if borne out of pure selfishness

I agree with your choice, but this doesn't sit right with me. Stringer wasn't a manipulator with no regard for human life - his most defining characteristic was his need to convince himself that he's outside everything, that nothing is on him. He thought he could distance himself from the dirt of the everyday reality of drug trade, orchestrate everything just long enough for him to get the money, "clean it" and start over as a businessman within the confines of the legal system. He made two clear mistakes - he thought everyone, especially Avon, would see things his way no matter what he did or who he had killed.... and he thought his money would be enough, that the world hiding behind the law would welcome him as an equal. The first mistake burnt all the bridges behind him, and both eventually cost him his life.
It was incredible to see the transition from what he perceived himself to be: a smart man who had made a lot of money, no different than any other shark in a suit out there - to what the world he wanted saw him as: a small-time criminal who wanted to play with the big boys, and got chewed up and spat out.

Ezee E
03-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Yeah, hard to pass on Stringer being the best character, even if he's absent for a season. Once I got into his character, I got into the show.

Since then, I've basically seen anything Idris Elba, no matter how crappy.

Except the Tyler Perry movie.

Glass Co.
03-18-2010, 11:13 PM
;249062']I agree with your choice, but this doesn't sit right with me. Stringer wasn't a manipulator with no regard for human life - his most defining characteristic was his need to convince himself that he's outside everything, that nothing is on him. He thought he could distance himself from the dirt of the everyday reality of drug trade, orchestrate everything just long enough for him to get the money, "clean it" and start over as a businessman within the confines of the legal system. He made two clear mistakes - he thought everyone, especially Avon, would see things his way no matter what he did or who he had killed.... and he thought his money would be enough, that the world hiding behind the law would welcome him as an equal. The first mistake burnt all the bridges behind him, and both eventually cost him his life.
It was incredible to see the transition from what he perceived himself to be: a smart man who had made a lot of money, no different than any other shark in a suit out there - to what the world he wanted saw him as: a small-time criminal who wanted to play with the big boys, and got chewed up and spat out.

This is a great analysis. I was going towards this in my second viewing, and I think another view of the series (I'm going to wait a while) will probably lead me more in the direction you're saying.

I think it's a testament to his complication as a character that so many analysises can come about though.

8: Fantastic choice. I thought doing a top 20 for Omar and Stringer each, but realized I finally need to just end the list. :D

E: I haven't seen anything else by Elba, but would love to. What are his best non-Wire works?

number8
03-18-2010, 11:28 PM
E: I haven't seen anything else by Elba, but would love to. What are his best non-Wire works?

This. (http://www.justpressplay.net/movies/movie-news/6144-watch-out-ultraviolet-1998.html)

Winston*
03-18-2010, 11:43 PM
This. (http://www.justpressplay.net/movies/movie-news/6144-watch-out-ultraviolet-1998.html)

Seconded. Cool show.

Ezee E
03-19-2010, 12:42 AM
To be honest, his work post-Wire is not very good. 28 Weeks Later is the best movie, The Office is his best work, even if he's misused in the role. I don't remember him in American Gangster.

But... he is in Thor, which is probably my most anticipated comic book movie.

Glass Co.
03-19-2010, 01:08 AM

Cheers. I remembered that I have seen him in The Office, which I liked, even if he was just Stringer as an actual businessman.

Benny Profane
03-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Yeah, hard to pass on Stringer being the best character, even if he's absent for a season. Once I got into his character, I got into the show.

He's actually absent for two seasons.

Just want to say it was a great list and a fun read. Congrats on finishing the endeavor.

Ezee E
03-19-2010, 04:21 PM
He's actually absent for two seasons.

Just want to say it was a great list and a fun read. Congrats on finishing the endeavor.
Ah right. Dang. Sure doesn't feel like it on reflection.

Glass Co.
03-19-2010, 07:19 PM

Thanks. And to all who followed along and commented.

Plus retroactive rep to Kurosawa Fan for the accurate call.

Benny Profane
03-21-2010, 12:51 AM
I still think that Omar was the only unreal character on a show full of real characters. He just doesn't fit.

[ETM]
03-21-2010, 01:06 AM
I still think that Omar was the only unreal character on a show full of real characters. He just doesn't fit.

Perhaps him being gay. Because everything else was based on real people.

Boner M
03-21-2010, 01:55 AM
I still think that Omar was the only unreal character on a show full of real characters. He just doesn't fit.I don't entirely agree, but I find it weird that Mouzone gets so much flak while Omar gets a free pass.

Ezee E
03-21-2010, 02:39 AM
Omar's more of a rarity though. A legend in the streetworld. Akin to someone like Jesse James or Billy The Kid. I have no problem with him at all.

Benny Profane
03-21-2010, 07:21 AM
;249565']Perhaps him being gay. Because everything else was based on real people.

Nah, it was more like I felt he belonged in a comic book or action movie. His one-liners were just too perfectly written. The way he would whistle and just stand there with his back turned as he waited for the people he was robbing to give up their stash. Jumping out of buildings and scampering away on a broken ankle before anyone can spot him.

He's a fun character, but I just didn't buy it.

[ETM]
03-21-2010, 01:53 PM
You had problems "buying" Omar in a show that had Clay "Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet" Davis and William Rawls? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiet.

Qrazy
03-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Yeah I'm with those who aren't bothered by those characters because I don't find the show 'realistic' in the first place. I also don't think it's trying to be realistic. It's trying to be naturalistic, and it succeeds, but while the institutions and the difficulties these characters face are real, they're still fictionalized characters which possess an air of fictionalization (characters have clear arcs, witty retorts, poignant final lines), and the show is as it has been described, as a novel for television.

Benny Profane
03-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Courses on The Wire are now being taught in schools like Harvard. (http://http://www.slate.com/id/2245788)

number8
03-27-2010, 09:06 AM
So I was reading through a few articles about The Wire (I do this every so often) and came across this in the comments section:

I'm also a recent convert to The Wire, having just recently wrapped up Season 4. The only adjective I can apply is Dickensian. It's extraordinarily layered and textured, with nary a false note. If Dickens were alive today, I suspect he'd be writing this show or one very like it.

I cannot wait for this person to watch Season 5.

Boner M
03-27-2010, 11:09 AM
I cannot wait for this person to watch Season 5.
The Dickensian aspect was remarked upon by many commentators prior to S5. Actually, the fact that it was stated outright by the characters was one of my least favorite things about that season.

ledfloyd
03-27-2010, 02:45 PM
i read a few articles recently about misogyny on the wire. how do you guys feel about this?

number8
03-27-2010, 03:41 PM
The Dickensian aspect was remarked upon by many commentators prior to S5. Actually, the fact that it was stated outright by the characters was one of my least favorite things about that season.

I just remembered that David Simon addressed this fact in an interview. It escaped me yesterday. Here it is:

It goes back to how you didn’t want to put characters like McNulty and Kima through the same framework again and again. But that’s what this big tradition of storytelling is nowadays. It’s just a tired retread. I found it kind of ironic that in season 5 there are a few really great scenes where you’re mocking the editors of newspapers who are asking for a Dickensian vibe, and then a lot of critics and writers compared The Wire to Dickens.
It was fun goofing on the Dickens comparison because I understood what they meant by Dickensian when they said it. You get this sort of scope of society through the classes, the way Dickens would play with that in his novels. But that’s true of Tolstoy’s Moscow. That’s true of Balzac’s Paris. It’s been done a lot in a lot of different places by a lot of writers. And I’m not the one doing the comparing. I’m just saying if you use those tropes you can go to a lot of places other than Dickens. The thing that made me laugh about it with Dickens was that Dickens is famous for being passionate about showing you the fault lines of industrial England and where money and power route themselves away from the poor. He would make the case for a much better social compact than existed in Victorian England, but then his verdict would always be, “But thank God a nice old uncle or this heroic lawyer is going to make things better.” In the end, the guy would punk out.

Now that doesn’t mean he wasn’t a great writer and they’re not great stories. They are. But The Wire was actually making a different argument than Dickens, and the comparison, while flattering, sort of fell badly on us.

Sure.
So there was a little bit of tongue-in-cheek satire on the show directed at people who were using Dickens to praise us. But the other thing is much more simple, which is the editor of the Baltimore Sun when I was covering the drug trade, when I was trying to explain what was happening in the city in terms that made economic sense to me... When I was coming back off of the reporting for The Corner and preparing to go back to the newspaper, this editor and I talked about writing columns about life on the streets in West Baltimore. That, to me, would have been the narrative equivalent of telling some stories that you ultimately saw on The Wire, but using real people. The first one that I tried to tell, for a variety of reasons, some of them emotional and some of them due to the fact that we weren’t getting along, he spiked. It was about a guy very much like the Wire character Bubbles who was harvesting metal—two guys harvesting metal, actually. This editor spiked the story without explanation.

Wow.
He came to me and said, “I want to do the stories that are about the Dickensian lives of children growing up in West Baltimore.” What he was saying was, “If you give me a nice, cute eight-, nine-year-old kid who doesn’t have a pencil, who doesn’t have a schoolbook, who lives in poverty, who’s big eyed and sweet and who I can make the reader fall in love with, I can win a fuckin’ prize with that. Write me that shit.”

“Don’t hand me some struggling junkie.”
“Don’t give me a guy who’s, like, trying to get high but maintain his dignity. Don’t give me anything complicated.” And he really used the word “Dickensian.”

Ezee E
03-27-2010, 08:20 PM
The Dickensian comments have been around since the show went into season two.

Winston*
03-27-2010, 08:47 PM
The only one of the boys that gets a happy ending in season 4 is because of a nice old uncle/heroic lawyer character.

D_Davis
04-22-2010, 05:48 AM

He's totally unreal - on purpose. He's the legend, the mythic gangster of urban pop-culture. He represents the mythical side and the romanticism of the game.

D_Davis
04-22-2010, 05:50 AM
I think Bodie was my favorite character, and his was also one of the most tragic for me.

Ezee E
04-22-2010, 06:56 AM
He's totally unreal - on purpose. He's the legend, the mythic gangster of urban pop-culture. He represents the mythical side and the romanticism of the game.
Yep yep yep.

Milky Joe
04-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Yep yep yep.

Precisely. Cf. opening scene of episode 4.3. The way he shakes his head as everybody runs away from him, disembodied voices announcing the simple act of his walking down the street. Even he can't believe his own myth.

Ezee E
04-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Precisely. Cf. opening scene of episode 4.3. The way he shakes his head as everybody runs away from him, disembodied voices announcing the simple act of his walking down the street. Even he can't believe his own myth.
The best part about this?

The reaction by the journalist when he finds out he was killed. It's not even good enough for a mention.

D_Davis
04-22-2010, 01:28 PM
And the fact that when the kids play gangster, one of them pretends to be Omar. Even in the eyes of the kids in the projects, Omar is a character.

There are also a couple parts where Omar moves in and out of the shadows like Harmonica in Once Upon a Time in the West. I got a similar vibe between these two characters, and the man with no name. They're not supposed to be real, but instead they are the myths and legends personified.

number8
04-22-2010, 06:55 PM
The best part about this?

The reaction by the journalist when he finds out he was killed. It's not even good enough for a mention.

This.

Devastating moment. Shows that no matter how larger-than-life you may be on the streets, in the end run the "normal" public don't really know/care.

D_Davis
04-22-2010, 07:00 PM
This.

Devastating moment. Shows that no matter how larger-than-life you may be on the streets, in the end run the "normal" public don't really know/care.

Right. Because they're not part of the game. The show illustrates over and over how small the world is to these characters.

Glass Co.
04-22-2010, 09:13 PM
I did love how the "good police" knew the ins and outs of the game and actually had a reaction (however small) when someone they knew of was killed on the street. I remember someone (may have been Bunk) saying "someone finally got Prop Joe huh", a nice contrast to the journalists choosing to bury the story.

D_Davis
04-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Yeah - the police are as much a part of the game as the hustlers are. There is a mutual respect for those on both sides for those who follow the rules of the game.

number8
04-22-2010, 11:36 PM
The one that stayed with me was the S1 finale when D'angelo asked McNulty and Bunk if they knew his grandfather Butch Stanford, and they both silently nodded "of course."

Glass Co.
10-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Still can't believe I finished this. Chris and Slim Charles are still too low.