PDA

View Full Version : The Happening

Pages : [1] 2

EvilShoe
12-07-2007, 12:14 PM
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/1310/hrthehappeningposterqa0.jpg
Neat poster. I'll wait for the reviews on this one though, since Lady in the Water nearly gave me a seizure.

Morris Schæffer
12-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Yeah, a little caution wouldn't be such a bad thing, but I'm still somewhat interested.

Rowland
12-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Those allusions to his previous movies are groan-worthy.

number8
12-07-2007, 06:08 PM
We'se Sensed It.

We've Seen The Signs.

Now... It's Happening.

And It's Unbreakable.

Because Something's in the Water.

The Village.

American Express.

Kurosawa Fan
12-07-2007, 06:30 PM
I thought he was going to adapt something this time around? What happened to that?

Watashi
12-07-2007, 06:40 PM
I thought he was going to adapt something this time around? What happened to that?

He's doing Avatar: The Last Airbender after this.

D_Davis
12-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Awesome. Can't wait. Is this is rated R film?

Watashi
12-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Awesome. Can't wait. Is this is rated R film?

Yep.

Shyamalan + Teh Zooey = Awesomesauce

MadMan
12-07-2007, 06:59 PM
We'se Sensed It.

We've Seen The Signs.

Now... It's Happening.

And It's Unbreakable.

The Village.

American Express.:lol:

I'm very wary about any of his newer projects, mainly because of his last two films. I wonder if he's completely lost his touch. That poster isn't half bad though.

The cast for the film according to IMDB.com includes Zooey Deschanel, Mark Wahlberg, John Leguizamo, and Spencer Breslin. I like the first three, but the last one is annoying and just might be one of the worst kid actors out there. I also noted there was a brief synopsis of the film, but I decided not to post it because of a fear of any spoilers and I'm not even sure if its accurate or not.

Lasse
12-07-2007, 07:26 PM
I like that poster.

I think all of his films has been interesting, though a couple of them have been pretty bad (The Village & Lady In The Water).

Ezee E
12-07-2007, 10:32 PM
I'll fall for this one again, but that's where it ends, I swear.

Wryan
12-07-2007, 11:07 PM
We'se Sensed It.

We've Seen The Signs.

Now... It's Happening.

And It's Unbreakable.

The Village.

American Express.

And Stuart Will Grow.....Up

eternity
12-07-2007, 11:48 PM
This is going to be complete and total suck.

MadMan
12-07-2007, 11:56 PM
This is going to be complete and total suck.How can you say that without even a trailer to go on? I'm more willing to cut a guy who made two great films, one very good one, and one decent one some slack.

eternity
12-08-2007, 01:27 AM
How can you say that without even a trailer to go on? I'm more willing to cut a guy who made two great films, one very good one, and one decent one some slack.Read the screenplay. It's bad. Really, really bad. Lady in the Water bad.

All the links I had of it got deleted within the last six months, but you can check out any of the reviews. I couldn't believe what I was reading at first.

Sven
12-08-2007, 01:41 AM
Read the screenplay. It's bad. Really, really bad. Lady in the Water bad.

All the links I had of it got deleted within the last six months, but you can check out any of the reviews. I couldn't believe what I was reading at first.

The version going around that everyone read was a first draft. Those are usually kinda limp. Plus, Shyamy is a visualist before he's a dramatist. I'm optimistic.

Then again, I did love Lady in the Water. It's Unbreakable that I didn't much like.

Mysterious Dude
12-08-2007, 01:58 AM
Same old, same old.

Wryan
12-08-2007, 04:00 AM
Same old, same old.

It's not the same.

This time.........it's personal.

Lasse
12-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Same old, same old.

Yeah, I've sensed this before, but my faith is unbreakable. I'll wait for a sign, like a trailer or something. Whatever, it'll be a long time before it opens in my village.

How the hell am I gonna throw Lady in the Water in there??

Ezee E
12-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I've sensed this before, but my faith is unbreakable. I'll wait for a sign, like a trailer or something. Whatever, it'll be a long time before it opens in my village.

How the hell am I gonna throw Lady in the Water in there??
the chances of this being good is a shot in the water?

DSNT
12-08-2007, 08:08 PM
He was going to adapt Life of Pi, but (thankfully) bowed out. Last I heard Jeunet is going to direct instead.

lovejuice
12-09-2007, 05:40 PM
mr. shamalayan, i'm glad you have fun breaking the fourth wall. now can you go back making good movies?

Dukefrukem
12-12-2007, 12:10 PM
just read about this. can't wait!

monolith94
12-12-2007, 03:23 PM
This poster makes it look like "Left Behind".

Saya
02-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Teaser trailer:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35498

Watashi
02-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Cool.

Wryan
02-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Well...........son of a bitch has me by the balls again. That teaser was so fucking disturbing. Especially with the construction-men-cum-leaping-from-Towers connection. Just felt all kinds of sick and wrong. And yet, damn that was a good teaser. I'm piqued. Oh yes. I am piqued.

Wryan
02-04-2008, 07:18 PM
I usually don't read AICN talkback cause it's soul-devouring but this made me laugh:

"The Happening Village Lady with Unbreakable Signs in the Water"

Rowland
02-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Especially with the construction-men-cum-leaping-from-Towers connection.I didn't make that connection. It doesn't strike me as intentional, unless people leaping to their death from high locations in metropolitan areas should forever be linked with the towers.

Wryan
02-04-2008, 07:24 PM
I didn't make that connection. It doesn't strike me as intentional, unless people leaping to their death from high locations in metropolitan areas should forever be linked with the towers.

Oh I didn't think it was intentional either. But seeing it gave me a shiver, can't deny. Just the juxtaposition.

lovejuice
02-04-2008, 07:40 PM
interesting. for one thing, the setting is very non-shyamalan. the feel too is very different. wonder in which direction he's taking this.

number8
02-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Somehow, that looks a lot like The Signal.

Morris Schæffer
02-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Good stuff. So the main gist is that the aliens are already among us waiting to be activated?

number8
02-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Good stuff. So the main gist is that the aliens are already among us waiting to be activated?

What?

Morris Schæffer
02-04-2008, 08:31 PM
What?

The blonde woman on the bench, removing a metal thing from her head. I got the impression she was one of them.

Watashi
02-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Um... no. The film centers around Global Warming, not Body Snatchers.

Morris Schæffer
02-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Um... no. The film centers around Global Warming, not Body Snatchers.

Ah that's right. I recall now from the earlier reports. :frustrated:

Grouchy
02-04-2008, 08:39 PM
The blonde woman on the bench, removing a metal thing from her head. I got the impression she was one of them.
That's a hairpin, for crying out loud.

Anyway, the trailer looks good, but Shaymalan is a marketing genius. Judging from his recent work, the movie has all the possibility of sucking a lot of ass.

Watashi
02-04-2008, 08:40 PM
That's a hairpin, for crying out loud.

Anyway, the trailer looks good, but Shaymalan is a marketing genius. Judging from his recent work, the movie has all the possibility of sucking a lot of ass.
Actually, Shymalan has no control over how his films are marketed. If it was up to him, his name would be abscent on trailers and posters.

Grouchy
02-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Actually, Shymalan has no control over how his films are marketed. If it was up to him, his name would be abscent on trailers and posters.
Come on, I can't believe that. For one thing, he wants to be the new Hitchcock.

Sven
02-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Oooooo, enticing. I'm definitely pumped.

Rowland
02-04-2008, 08:54 PM
I don't know, this trailer has the stench of déjÃ* vu for me, like a variation of an overplayed concept, but even after his last travesty, I'd like to remain optimistic. Maybe he was shot back down to earth after LitW's commercial failure.

Boner M
02-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Apparently it has a twist ending.

Rowland
02-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Apparently it has a twist ending.The last line in the trailer made me chuckle, imagining this being the case.

Morris Schæffer
02-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Apparently it has a twist ending.

He'd have to be really stubborn to attempt that again, so perhaps it's a great one.

number8
02-04-2008, 09:16 PM
The last line in the trailer made me chuckle, imagining this being the case.

The twist is, it is.

Rowland
02-04-2008, 09:21 PM
The twist is, it is.Well shit, I don't need to see it now.

Sven
02-05-2008, 01:32 AM
The twist is, it is.

I wouldn't be surprised if Shyamy goes a whole 'nother route altogether, after the draft he was passing around was leaked.

And even if that is the spoiler, the pleasure I find in Shyamalan's films far surpasses the titillation of a narrative twist. Even considering the twists themselves, I find that they always deepen or comment on the subtext (his films are far more interesting for craft and subtexts than story) in interesting ways.

I dig the guy.

Watashi
02-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Wait... how is what number8 posted the twist?

Sven
02-05-2008, 01:39 AM
Wait... how is what number8 posted the twist?

Wahlberg says in the trailer something to the effect of "Is this really happening?"

Rowland chuckled, imagining that it was the case that it was not really happening.

Number8 says that yes, that is what actually happens (namely, it's not actually happening).

Grouchy
02-05-2008, 01:41 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Shyamy goes a whole 'nother route altogether, after the draft he was passing around was leaked.

And even if that is the spoiler, the pleasure I find in Shyamalan's films far surpasses the titillation of a narrative twist. Even considering the twists themselves, I find that they always deepen or comment on the subtext (his films are far more interesting for craft and subtexts than story) in interesting ways.

I dig the guy.
How is it possible that the twist comments on the subtext or is meaningful and yes he's willing to change it if it's leaked?

Watashi
02-05-2008, 01:44 AM
How do scripts get leaked anyway? You'd think Shyamalan would be a bit more protective of his scripts.

transmogrifier
02-05-2008, 01:46 AM
Looks exactly like every other Shyamalan movie. Slow, deliberate reaction shots, zombie like line readings, schlock subject.

Yawn.

Sven
02-05-2008, 01:49 AM
How is it possible that the twist comments on the subtext or is meaningful and yet he's willing to change it if it's leaked?

I haven't seen this movie, obviously, so I cannot answer this question. But, you know, as they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Watashi
02-05-2008, 01:49 AM
So wait... is the whole toxins from the plants causing people to kill themselves the actual twist?. I read that in a synopsis for the film, so hopefully it isn't.

transmogrifier
02-05-2008, 01:51 AM
I haven't seen this movie, obviously, so I cannot answer this question. But, you know, as they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

True, but what is little remarked upon is no matter which way you choose to skin that cat, you still end up covered in scores of scratch marks and bites that sting for days on end.

Grouchy
02-05-2008, 01:53 AM
How do scripts get leaked anyway? You'd think Shyamalan would be a bit more protective of his scripts.
Someone involved in the production that has the script puts it online, I guess.

And iosos, I was being deliberately a bit of a prick with that question, but I don't see the thematic relevance of the twists in Shyamalan movies from Signs onwards.

Sven
02-05-2008, 02:13 AM
And iosos, I was being deliberately a bit of a prick with that question, but I don't see the thematic relevance of the twists in Shyamalan movies from Signs onwards.

I could probably write pages and pages of defense, but I won't go into it just now, because I'm not particularly in the mood. But you really can't see the thematic relevance of community leaders lying to their peoples to create a false sense of security while the world as they see it is crumbling all around? That one is obvious! Maybe too obvious.

Winston*
02-05-2008, 02:16 AM
Narf, scrunt, tartutic, narf, scrunt, tartutic, narf, scrunt, tartutic.

Sycophant
02-05-2008, 02:29 AM
I want to see this movie.

Ezee E
02-05-2008, 03:09 AM
Not bad.

Grouchy
02-05-2008, 03:34 AM
I could probably write pages and pages of defense, but I won't go into it just now, because I'm not particularly in the mood. But you really can't see the thematic relevance of community leaders lying to their peoples to create a false sense of security while the world as they see it is crumbling all around? That one is obvious! Maybe too obvious.
Yeah, I thought about The Village as I was writing. That's a pretty obvious metaphor.

Dead & Messed Up
02-05-2008, 03:59 AM
What sucks so much about this trailer is the name "M. Night Shyamalan." I think were it under anyone else's control, I'd consider it intriguing and creepy. But after his last two films, I read the images as labored and over-confident.

That's Kuleshov for you, I guess.

Wryan
02-05-2008, 04:06 AM
What sucks so much about this trailer is the name "M. Night Shyamalan." I think were it under anyone else's control, I'd consider it intriguing and creepy. But after his last two films, I read the images as labored and over-confident.

That's Kuleshov for you, I guess.

/flashes image of broken teacup
/flashes image of crying nun

Henry Gale
02-05-2008, 04:18 AM
Well somehow I only came across this just now. I was already looking forward to it but that teaser basically sealed the deal, I'm now definately excited for it.

It'll be interesting to see exactly what Shymalan does with the R-rating because he's always said he prefers and has made his movies to follow the idea of the "what you don't see is scarier" type of horror.

number8
02-05-2008, 04:46 AM
Wahlberg says in the trailer something to the effect of "Is this really happening?"

Rowland chuckled, imagining that it was the case that it was not really happening.

Number8 says that yes, that is what actually happens (namely, it's not actually happening).

LOL no, that's not what I meant. I was counter-joking rowland's joke by implying that the twist is a non-twist, in that the fact it is actually happening is the twist.

Rowland
02-05-2008, 05:09 AM
LOL no, that's not what I meant. I was counter-joking rowland's joke by implying that the twist is a non-twist, in that the fact it is actually happening is the twist.Yeah, that's what I thought you meant, so my reply was a continuation of the joke.

Sycophant
02-05-2008, 05:10 AM
I am a humorless old grump and thought the movie had been ruined for me due to hapless clickings.

megladon8
02-05-2008, 07:32 AM
How exactly is this movie about global warming?

People finally come to their senses about how they're ruining the planet, and mass suicides ensue?

number8
02-05-2008, 07:43 AM
The plants are pissed that humans are destroying the Earth, so they decided to extinct us, releasing a neurotoxin that causes us to perform suicides.

Spoiler tagged just in case some people want to be kept in the dark about the plot.

Dead & Messed Up
02-05-2008, 09:14 AM
The plants are pissed that humans are destroying the Earth, so they decided to extinct us, releasing a neurotoxin that causes us to perform suicides.

Spoiler tagged just in case some people want to be kept in the dark about the plot.

Hmm.

This seems like the stupidest twist he's thought up yet.

transmogrifier
02-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Hmm.

This seems like the stupidest twist he's thought up yet.

I don't think that's the twist. I think that's the underlying premise of the whole movie in the same way "There's a big fuck off asteroid coming!" was the underlying premise of Armageddon.

But you're right. It's completely idiotic.

Boner M
02-05-2008, 11:20 AM
I read that in the end...

the only way to stop the virus is for all the critics of the world to stop hatin' on Shyamalan films. This occurs in the form of a revised AFI top 100 list, where Shyamalan's entire filmography takes the top spots. Then we get a montage of America back to normal, then the Earth in space, and then the Sun, with Shyamalan's smiling face superimposed onto it, winking at the audience.

THE END.

Qrazy
02-05-2008, 11:47 AM
In the words of the great flaming Bush... Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

Fuck you Shyamalan. Fuck you.

Qrazy
02-05-2008, 11:51 AM

All the subtext in the world can't save terrible storytelling.

Morris Schæffer
02-05-2008, 03:15 PM
That sounds nuts!

Wryan
02-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Better left unexplained but I'm still curious to see what he does with it. There are several great Shammy films that build enough goodwill in me to give him chances.

Dukefrukem
02-05-2008, 05:01 PM
this is probably the best teaser i have ever seen.................

Sven
02-05-2008, 09:07 PM
All the subtext in the world can't save terrible storytelling.

Your attitude suggests that you value story above comment. Which is entirely acceptable. I agree that story isn't his strong-point, but only in a few rarer instances would I call it terrible.

D_Davis
02-05-2008, 09:22 PM

Day of the Triffids!

megladon8
02-05-2008, 10:50 PM
I mean, I realize it's too early to tell...but that sounds like it fits into the Three R's of Film Anticipation...

Ridiculous
Retarded
Redundant

EDIT: And I would have paid quite a large sum of money to have been there when he pitched that to the studio.

Bosco B Thug
02-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Yeah, that's a great teaser trailer I think. I'm not a fan of Shyamalan the writer, but he can direct damn well most of the time and if this is more "hardcore" horror/thriller than his previous films, I'm totally up for it. I'm not sure what to expect, though (I haven't read any of your spoilers), like what the threat exactly is. The compulsion to commit suicide? Or is it like Cell and people go crazy? Don't tell me, just wanted to get out that I'm unaware.

The setting Shyamalan's picked, though, is striking. I like all the green brush and dirt roads, don't know why.

megladon8
02-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Yeah, that's a great teaser trailer I think. I'm not a fan of Shyamalan the writer, but he can direct damn well most of the time and if this is more "hardcore" horror/thriller than his previous films, I'm totally up for it. I'm not sure what to expect, though (I haven't read any of your spoilers), like what the threat exactly is. The compulsion to commit suicide? Or is it like Cell and people go crazy? Don't tell me, just wanted to get out that I'm unaware.

The setting Shyamalan's picked, though, is striking. I like all the green brush and dirt roads, don't know why.

I agree it's an enticing trailer, and the look is beautiful (though I've found all of Shyamalan's films have looked great).

But reading what the film is really "about" sent up a maze of red lights in my mind so large that I had to read it again to make sure I wasn't imagining the stupidity.

I mean, I could be completely wrong, and it actually uses this incredibly silly-sounding concept to its advantage (like some sort of B-grade sci-fi type film)...but the trailer looks like it plays it pretty straight-faced, and that's worrying to say the least.

Rowland
02-05-2008, 11:50 PM
I mean, I could be completely wrong, and it actually uses this incredibly silly-sounding concept to its advantage (like some sort of B-grade sci-fi type film)...but the trailer looks like it plays it pretty straight-faced, and that's worrying to say the least.You know, I actually think it's kinda cool, like a 50's sci-fi b-movie premise amped up to modern standards of cynicism and dressed up with the production values of modern studio filmmaking. Why not play it straight? I'm tired of self-aware genre fare.

megladon8
02-05-2008, 11:55 PM
You know, I actually think it's kinda cool, like a 50's sci-fi b-movie premise amped up to modern standards of cynicism and dressed up with the production values of modern studio filmmaking. Why not play it straight? I'm tired of self-aware genre fare.

How can you be tired of something that so rarely happens anymore?

I don't think there have been many self-aware genre pieces at all in the last several years.

I'm actually getting tired of genre movies taking themselves so seriously lately.

Rowland
02-06-2008, 12:07 AM
How can you be tired of something that so rarely happens anymore?

I don't think there have been many self-aware genre pieces at all in the last several years.

I'm actually getting tired of genre movies taking themselves so seriously lately.I shouldn't have said "genre fare", which is a rather meaningless generalization. I'm thinking mainly of the horror genre, which is what this looks closest to belonging in. Crap like Leslie Vernon can shove it, I want to see real horror movies.

And besides, Shyamalan sucks at comedy.

megladon8
02-06-2008, 12:13 AM
I shouldn't have said "genre fare", which is a rather meaningless generalization. I'm thinking mainly of the horror genre, which is what this looks closest to belonging in. Crap like Leslie Vernon can shove it, I want to see real horror movies.

And besides, Shyamalan sucks at comedy.

I'm not saying it should be a comedy. It just seems that the film is a real "downer", and we don't always need that.

I'd like to see Shymalan use his great style to tackle something more light and fun. It doesn't have to be a comedy, but it doesn't need to be so heavy either.

Sven
02-06-2008, 12:21 AM
I thought Signs was pretty hilarious. There's a wealth of well-delivered humor in that one.

megladon8
02-06-2008, 12:27 AM
I thought Signs was pretty hilarious. There's a wealth of well-delivered humor in that one.

Yes, definitely. It's a wonderful movie.

Though I'm not sure if you're saying it's unintentionally hilarious, or if you genuinely liked the humor that was there.

I loved the scene with the tinfoil hats.

And the dinner scene is still very emotional and effective.

But I have to say that, despite the arguably poor quality of Shyamalan's later efforts, James Newton Howard always delivers a wonderful score, so here's hoping The Happening doesn't break this trend.

Sven
02-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Though I'm not sure if you're saying it's unintentionally hilarious, or if you genuinely liked the humor that was there.

I think it's a genuinely funny movie.

megladon8
02-06-2008, 12:39 AM

Cool.

It seems to be a polarizing one, for sure.

I know everyone in my family loves it.

And damn, even though he's a nutbar, I still really like Mel Gibson.

I remember reading Shyamalan coming to Gibson's defense back when that whole drunk-driving/anti-semitism thing happened. He said that it must have been the booze, because despite the fact that he is non-white and of a different religious background than Gibson, Gibson was very pleasant to work with on Signs. He said he was a generous and genuinely nice person.

D_Davis
02-06-2008, 02:48 AM

I think M. Night is great at comedy. Signs and Lady in the Water both have a few moments of great, intentional humor.

transmogrifier
02-06-2008, 04:57 AM

I don't think I can agree with your sense of humor there, Lou.

number8
02-06-2008, 05:07 AM
Well, I thought watching Joaquin Phoenix bump his head in a barn is just marvelous comedy.

Wryan
02-06-2008, 05:29 AM
I don't think I can agree with your sense of humor there, Lou.

Come on, Mary, lighten up.

Dukefrukem
02-06-2008, 12:38 PM

am i the only here who loved this movie?

D_Davis
02-06-2008, 01:17 PM
am i the only here who loved this movie?

It's on my top 100. Signs is fantastic.

Dukefrukem
02-06-2008, 02:39 PM
It's on my top 100. Signs is fantastic.

well i knew you liked. :cool:

It was on the other night right as I was getting into bed. I couldn't help but watch it.

Kurosawa Fan
02-06-2008, 02:49 PM
And the trailer is gone. Bummer.

Qrazy
02-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Your attitude suggests that you value story above comment. Which is entirely acceptable. I agree that story isn't his strong-point, but only in a few rarer instances would I call it terrible.

No, I don't think my post really suggests that at all. I'm suggesting that subtext is only as valuable as the 'text' which supports it. This doesn't imply a primacy of narrative, only an attention to the rigorousness of the semiotics of the work.

In a film of my creation, I could have a brilliant extended metaphor involving an elephant and a donkey. This metaphor may shed immeasurable light on the current political spectrum, but if the elephant is miscast and the donkey can't act for shit, the brilliance of my metaphor wanes.

Acapelli
02-06-2008, 03:53 PM
I think M. Night is great at comedy. Signs and Lady in the Water both have a few moments of great, intentional humor.
Yup. I was just gonna mention Lady in the Water which I found hilarious at points.

Morris Schæffer
02-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Lady in the Water is the only Shyammy flick I disliked. The others have all been immensely engaging.

The Sixth Sense - ****
Unbreakable - ***
Signs - ***
The Village - ***

Sycophant
02-06-2008, 06:00 PM
I know next to nothing about this film and am trying to keep myself as... untainted as I can. I'm there opening weekend regardless. However, the trailer gave me just the littlest bit of a K. Kurosawa vibe which is all the more thrilling. That and I think that Shyamalan has only made one bad film, a bid film that stands out as one of the most interesting bad films I've had the pleasure of watching.

Dukefrukem
02-06-2008, 06:47 PM
I know next to nothing about this film and am trying to keep myself as... untainted as I can. I'm there opening weekend regardless. However, the trailer gave me just the littlest bit of a K. Kurosawa vibe which is all the more thrilling. That and I think that Shyamalan has only made one bad film, a bid film that stands out as one of the most interesting bad films I've had the pleasure of watching.

Yeh the Village was wack.

Sycophant
02-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Yeh the Village was wack.
Oh, you guy. I liked The Village. It's Lady in the Water to which I refer.

One thing about the so-called "twists" in Shyamalan's films... they're usually well-supported and often detectable throughout the film. I called the endings to both Signs and The Village thanks to the ample evidence in all that came before and that did nothing to rob them of their impact. Had I been a more perceptive viewer at the time, I expect I would have been able to call the endings of The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.

DavidSeven
02-06-2008, 08:14 PM
The Village was problematic, but still respectable on various levels. Lady in the Water was wretched -- a steaming pile. Everything else has been good or tremendous.

In regards to Shyamalan's sense of humor, I remember Signs being praised for its stabs at comedy. The gun scene and the workout scene in Unbreakable got some laughs out of me as well.

Wryan
02-06-2008, 08:34 PM
"I AM INSANE WITH ANGER! RARRRGGH!"

Dead & Messed Up
02-06-2008, 08:41 PM
The dinner scene in Signs could be the best thing Shyamalan's ever done.

Wryan
02-06-2008, 08:46 PM
I agree. That scene really hits hard, imo.

lovejuice
02-06-2008, 08:50 PM
signs imo is his best work. in fact it's the best thriller of the last decade. no, i'm not hyperboling.

number8
02-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Have we abandoned the notion that Unbreakable is his only great movie so quickly? Oy.

DavidSeven
02-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Have we abandoned the notion that Unbreakable is his only great movie so quickly? Oy.

It's his best, but The Sixth Sense is pretty darn good too.

number8
02-06-2008, 09:13 PM
It's his best, but The Sixth Sense is pretty darn good too.

I've been hard on that movie these past few years, but it was recently on cable and I caught it. While I still don't like it on a whole, I was reminded at how effective certain scenes are (like the trapped in a closet bit and the "if you're not very angry at me, can I sleep in your bed tonight?" scene) and how good Bruce Willis was in the role.

D_Davis
02-06-2008, 09:16 PM
"I AM INSANE WITH ANGER! RARRRGGH!"

Hilarious. I love this part. It's funny but it also feels genuine.

Dillard
02-06-2008, 09:26 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pwyNsic-iDk

Oops they missed one!

*holds breath*

Wryan
02-06-2008, 09:30 PM

Hard to abandon a notion you never embraced.

D_Davis
02-06-2008, 09:40 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pwyNsic-iDk

Oops they missed one!

*holds breath*

Damn, that looks awesome.

Totally reminds me of Stephen King's Cell - it'll probably be a better movie than the Cell film too.

Grouchy
02-06-2008, 10:22 PM
I still think that's God's unquestionable truth.

Sven
02-06-2008, 11:37 PM
No, I don't think my post really suggests that at all. I'm suggesting that subtext is only as valuable as the 'text' which supports it. This doesn't imply a primacy of narrative, only an attention to the rigorousness of the semiotics of the work.

In a film of my creation, I could have a brilliant extended metaphor involving an elephant and a donkey. This metaphor may shed immeasurable light on the current political spectrum, but if the elephant is miscast and the donkey can't act for shit, the brilliance of my metaphor wanes.

Maybe you're allegory was hastily conceived, but miscasting and poor acting are neither the biggest of Shyamalan's problems (if anything the dude always gets interesting performances from well cast people), nor is it really a storytelling issue. The ability to tell a story stems from the words themselves, the movement of the camera, and the structure (pacing, juxtaposition, etc). To a significantly less extent does melodrama or histrionics play into what defines a story, at its core, as being well told.

I will give you that sometimes with Shyamy, credibility is stretched (disbelief can only be suspended so long), but as an internal storyist, I see no major problems with his ability to set-up a dilemma, move characters compellingly through them, and wrap it up in interesting and unique (again, if not wholly credible) ways.

I guess I would need for you to outline exactly what it is you think qualifies a "good" storyteller. Or when it is that a story is told well.

Bosco B Thug
02-07-2008, 04:24 AM
I know next to nothing about this film and am trying to keep myself as... untainted as I can. I'm there opening weekend regardless. However, the trailer gave me just the littlest bit of a K. Kurosawa vibe which is all the more thrilling. Oh yeah, I could totally see that. Forgive the following of my struggling for technical terminology, but... the close-ups on accentuated facial expression in the forefront of screen, oppressively drab or banal or light-faded settings for horrific events, that distant shot of a person collapsing on a man seated on the side of the road... yeah, K. Kurosawa-ish and very appealing..

lovejuice
02-07-2008, 05:35 AM

hey. hey. lady in the water aside, it's my least favorite of his.

Qrazy
02-07-2008, 07:35 AM
I guess I would need for you to outline exactly what it is you think qualifies a "good" storyteller. Or when it is that a story is told well.

Less stupidity in the writing. The man can't write a script to save his life. If he got a good screenwriter he could actually be making quality films since he certainly has directorial chops.

Dead & Messed Up
02-07-2008, 08:02 AM

By no means. I think Signs was about nine-tenths of a great movie.

Ezee E
02-07-2008, 01:33 PM
By no means. I think Signs was about nine-tenths of a great movie.
If it weren't for the awful look of the alien at the end, it would pretty much be perfect. But M. Night doesn't know how to design an effective looking monster. The ghosts in Sixth Sense weren't scary, Signs I've pointed out, and Lady In The Water was simply laughable when we see the monsters. At least The Village had an excuse of why it looked so laughable.

Dukefrukem
02-08-2008, 12:34 PM
If it weren't for the awful look of the alien at the end, it would pretty much be perfect. But M. Night doesn't know how to design an effective looking monster. The ghosts in Sixth Sense weren't scary, Signs I've pointed out, and Lady In The Water was simply laughable when we see the monsters. At least The Village had an excuse of why it looked so laughable.

This is a good point. But I don't think we're giving him enough credit for what he's done. We're nit picking at the way the aliens looked? C'mon. He kept it in the dark, shadows, glimpses here and there for the entire movie... We at least deserve to see something. I'd love to see the designs of deep space aliens that you guys can design.

KK2.0
02-08-2008, 01:55 PM

The look of the aliens in Signs were the least of my problems with it, in fact, aside from that uber-lame ending it was quite a tense and effective invasion flick.

The Sixth Sense remains my favorite from him, and I thought the ghosts were damn scary exactly because they look like ordinary people, the notion that anyone sitting beside you could be a walking corpse is quite chilling.

I liked The Village, not much Unbreakable and much less Lady in the Water, my expectations for any Shyamalan are hopeful because he's a great director, too bad he insists in writing his stories, this Happening seems to be the case again: Intriguing premise and effective imagery and sound, but the revelation will be a simplistic metaphore for something. :|

Ezee E
02-08-2008, 02:02 PM
This is a good point. But I don't think we're giving him enough credit for what he's done. We're nit picking at the way the aliens looked? C'mon. He kept it in the dark, shadows, glimpses here and there for the entire movie... We at least deserve to see something. I'd love to see the designs of deep space aliens that you guys can design.
Except in the end it wasn't in the shadows. It was limping around in perfect daylight, looking at stupid as possible. Not threatening at all. I like the movie, but with such great suspense built up, and that's what we get? C'mon. I can suspend my belief with the plotholes, but when you get that look, it's just over for me.

I don't need to design it, because I didn't have $50+ million to make the movie.

Dukefrukem
02-08-2008, 02:07 PM
I don't need to design it, because I didn't have $50+ million to make the movie.

gotchya.

Sycophant
02-08-2008, 02:18 PM
I'd love to see the designs of deep space aliens that you guys can design.
This is easily my least favorite argument of all arguments. Seriously.

Note that I have no problem with the Signs aliens.

EvilShoe
02-08-2008, 02:28 PM

I'd love to see the arguments you can come up with.

Dukefrukem
02-08-2008, 02:33 PM

Even though you wrote "seriously", are you mocking me or agreeing with me. Because it seems everyone is so disappointed with every alien ever created (signs, ID4), but yet no one can come up with an alien design themselves.

Sycophant
02-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Even though you wrote "seriously", are you mocking me or agreeing with me. Because it seems everyone is so disappointed with every alien ever created (signs, ID4), but yet no one can come up with an alien design themselves.Sorry for being ambiguous. I'm legitimately peeved any time I hear this argument. Not just related to aliens or whatever, but any time I read "Well, if you think it's so bad, why don't you make something better?" my blood starts to boil a little.

Rowland
02-08-2008, 02:44 PM
But movies are hard to make! A lot of people devote lots of time and effort to making them. What RIGHT do you have to criticize them?! Try making one yourself, I dare you bitch. Do it. C'mon, fucking do it!

Dukefrukem
02-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Sorry for being ambiguous. I'm legitimately peeved any time I hear this argument. Not just related to aliens or whatever, but any time I read "Well, if you think it's so bad, why don't you make something better?" my blood starts to boil a little.

I know what you mean, but think about it. No one is ever satisfied with an alien if its shown in any film. Its like people either make it Predator looking or Alien looking or a combination of the two.

Dukefrukem
02-08-2008, 02:54 PM
But movies are hard to make! A lot of people devote lots of time and effort to making them. What RIGHT do you have to criticize them?! Try making one yourself, I dare you bitch. Do it. C'mon, fucking do it!

:rolleyes: I'm just saying everyone always complains but no one ever compromises.

Sycophant
02-08-2008, 03:20 PM
:rolleyes: I'm just saying everyone always complains but no one ever compromises.:confused: Compromises to what?

Dukefrukem
02-08-2008, 03:38 PM
:confused: Compromises to what?

Not hating the movie because the way the aliens looked.

Morris Schæffer
02-08-2008, 03:46 PM
It was a rather unorthodox invasion movie to begin with. Thus, I had no problem with the way they looked. When that one alien was suddenly silhouetted in the TV, my heart skipped a few beats. Perhaps real aliens look about as exciting as a piece of dog shit.

Dukefrukem
02-08-2008, 03:50 PM
It was a rather unorthodox invasion movie to begin with. Thus, I had no problem with the way they looked. When that one alien was suddenly silhouetted in the TV, my heart skipped a few beats. Perhaps real aliens look about as exciting as a piece of dog shit.

I prefer the dark silhouette at the beginning on top of the barn.

Morris Schæffer
02-08-2008, 03:54 PM
I prefer the dark silhouette at the beginning on top of the barn.

Don't remember that bit, but I've been meaning to see this movie again.

Wryan
02-08-2008, 05:18 PM

In many ways, the work of a critic is easy...

Dead & Messed Up
02-08-2008, 07:12 PM
I know what you mean, but think about it. No one is ever satisfied with an alien if its shown in any film. Its like people either make it Predator looking or Alien looking or a combination of the two.

Speaking for myself, there are a lot of aliens that I enjoy in cinema. The childlike greys of Close Encounters, the head-spiders of Dark City, E. T., the Mondoshiwan of Fifth Element, the Vogons of Hitchhiker, and many more.

I think the problem with Signs is that we're discussing the design of the creature because there's really nothing else to it. No motivation beyond aggression, no goal beyond harm. It's base-one character with base-one design, and I don't think it holds up well to scrutiny. It's better to hide it, because the more we see, the more we realize how thin the whole affair is.

Silencio
02-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Different trailer: http://video.cineplex.com/?fr_story=c72ed1e5eef326a6bac1 5ef22b83eb418ac9524f&rf=bm

Whalberg looks awful in this, though.

Dukefrukem
02-15-2008, 12:55 PM
thats a damn good trailer.

aso for Whalberg, he sounds like a worried bitch compared to some of his other roles... unnatural.. same way i felt with Mel in Signs.. i felt he was being too quiet (which is probably what Night wanted) .. but it just looks uncomfortable

Sven
02-15-2008, 03:11 PM
It looks good!

Kurosawa Fan
02-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Whalberg looks awful in this, though.

Totally agree, and I really enjoy his work for the most part.

The movie looks like it has great potential though.

D_Davis
02-15-2008, 05:40 PM
The aliens in Signs are Macguffins used to push along the narrative detailing Graham's journey of faith. They could be anything. This is a very typical sci-fi convention, like PyRE in The Stars My Destination. The aliens are one-dimensional creations because they only represent another obstacle in Graham's journey. Signs is not a story about an alien invasion, it is a story about a man's spiritual journey which just so happens to feature an alien invasion - they are just another sign.

Wryan
02-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Bit of a dodgy trailer, but it looks pretty decent. Some of the cadences and rhythmic pauses seem really off. Or maybe intentional. Dunno.

Dead & Messed Up
02-15-2008, 08:01 PM
The aliens in Signs are Macguffins used to push along the narrative detailing Graham's journey of faith. They could be anything. This is a very typical sci-fi convention, like PyRE in The Stars My Destination. The aliens are one-dimensional creations because they only represent another obstacle in Graham's journey. Signs is not a story about an alien invasion, it is a story about a man's spiritual journey which just so happens to feature an alien invasion - they are just another sign.

Although one could argue that his faith is restored by events that are so clearly staged to restore his faith that the entire effect is diluted. In other words, what's the point of faith when it depends on exterior events designed to convinced you? Last time I checked, the entire point of faith is that it involves a leap from the rational into the illogical. Otherwise it would just be logical deduction.

Wryan
02-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Frailty is a better faith film. Signs is great just cause it's scary and fun with an occasional dollop of emotion.

Bosco B Thug
02-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Bit of a dodgy trailer, but it looks pretty decent. Some of the cadences and rhythmic pauses seem really off. Or maybe intentional. Dunno.
You mean like in line delivery and "overt-subtle" mannerisms? It's definitely a Shyamalan thing, I'd say... a sort of off-beat, self-conscious acting and wry line delivery and use of silence. You definitely see it with Wahlberg here to an almost awkward degree.

Ehhh. This trailer is kinda bleh. I approve of all the "stuff billowing" shots, though. Makes me think we'll get Shyamalan's Philadelphia-set version of The Last Winter (which... would be awesome).

Wryan
02-15-2008, 09:23 PM
You definitely see it with Wahlberg here to an almost awkward degree.

That's what I mean. A stylistic choice that Wahlberg, here at least, doesn't seem to execute well. He almost belongs with the rest of the Villagers.

D_Davis
02-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Although one could argue that his faith is restored by events that are so clearly staged to restore his faith that the entire effect is diluted. In other words, what's the point of faith when it depends on exterior events designed to convinced you? Last time I checked, the entire point of faith is that it involves a leap from the rational into the illogical. Otherwise it would just be logical deduction.

It doesn't matter how, all that matters is what is. Faith has nothing to do with the illogical, but I am not about to turn another discussion here into a debate about God and faith. I've had enough of these for a while!

It's all about the signs. Some people need bigger signs. It comes with being human. There are stories in the Bible of people needing signs. It's not really a stretch at all.

Graham needed some guidance, some direction, and took some major signs to point him back to his path. The aliens were just another sign.

Read my review, I detail it much better there, if you care.

http://www.genrebusters.com/film/top100_65signs.htm

We had a good discussion about this in my Top 100 thread on the old site. It's probably still up...

It's starts on this page...

http://matchcut.org/viewtopic.php?t=10347&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=570

Spun Lepton
02-16-2008, 03:12 AM
Unimpressed with that trailer. Of course, after Signs, I haven't been too interested in anything Shyamalan does.

KK2.0
02-17-2008, 07:35 PM
I think walhberg is very mediocre, but the trailer had me intrigued. As usual in Shyamalan flicks.

The line talking about the bees that disappeared is based on real news, and perhaps it was the event that triggered the film's idea to Shyamalan. I've heard a rumor about the reason behind the "natural disaster" in the movie, far from cataclysmic tidal waves:

Vegetation started spraying a toxin that lead people to allucinate, kill others and themselves. Something like if the planet itself was trying to get rid of humans. As silly as this sounds, i think it's pretty plausible for a Shyamalan script. So, Gaia is very angry, let us stop with all the oil burning m'kay?

It's the reason for my dislike for Signs.

Alien Invasions are much cooler than religion. :)

Wryan
02-17-2008, 07:43 PM
The line talking about the bees that disappeared is based on real news, and perhaps it was the event that triggered the film's idea to Shyamalan.

It is. Called "hive collapse" among other names. Bees are getting disoriented, sometimes from cellphone towers/signals, and are losing their capability to find their way back to their hive. They die. Hive eventually atrophies and dies as well.

Einstein said that if all the bees on this planet died, human beings would survive about four more years and then splat.

number8
02-17-2008, 09:38 PM
It's already threatening the production of Haagen-Dasz!

KK2.0
02-17-2008, 10:23 PM
A PROPHET!

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p183/syoung7819/qjerry.jpg

megladon8
02-17-2008, 10:28 PM
It is. Called "hive collapse" among other names. Bees are getting disoriented, sometimes from cellphone towers/signals, and are losing their capability to find their way back to their hive. They die. Hive eventually atrophies and dies as well.

Einstein said that if all the bees on this planet died, human beings would survive about four more years and then splat.

It's true. A lot of people don't realize how important bees are in the "grand scheme of things".

They are almost single-handedly responsible for a lot of the pollination/germination of different plants, and their presence in plantlife also helps to cleanse the plants and help them live longer.

Without bees, a lot of our plantlife would die very quickly, and we would never be able to bring it back because they need those little creatures for upkeep.

Qrazy
02-17-2008, 10:51 PM
It's true. A lot of people don't realize how important bees are in the "grand scheme of things".

They are almost single-handedly responsible for a lot of the pollination/germination of different plants, and their presence in plantlife also helps to cleanse the plants and help them live longer.

Without bees, a lot of our plantlife would die very quickly, and we would never be able to bring it back because they need those little creatures for upkeep.

Meh, we've already caused the extinction of lots of species. I'm not saying it's a good thing. It's not. It's terrible and has to stop. But I have slightly more faith in the ability of the ecosystem to restructure and resurrect itself. In my opinion it's more malleable than it's given credit for being.

Wryan
02-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Meh, we've already caused the extinction of lots of species. I'm not saying it's a good thing. It's not. It's terrible and has to stop. But I have slightly more faith in the ability of the ecosystem to restructure and resurrect itself. In my opinion it's more malleable than it's given credit for being.

Sure the earth's ecosystem as a whole does a good job regulating itself, but we can't bring species back. It's almost like the planet would have to re-evolve them, or force another species to adapt to the same role...somehow. Once human beings are gone from the planet, which I believe will happen one day, the earth will return to a better, purer state given the passage of an indeterminate number of centuries. Imagine, then, the possibility that another species will evolve that echoes ours. Process might start all over again.

Saya
05-02-2008, 03:32 PM
New trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_LozCdbnlA

Sven
05-02-2008, 03:41 PM
I think it looks good. Maybe the only film I'm really excited for this summer, actually. Maybe Wall-E.

Sycophant
05-02-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm really looking forward to this one. Looks like Pulse via Signs.

Qrazy
05-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Sure the earth's ecosystem as a whole does a good job regulating itself, but we can't bring species back. It's almost like the planet would have to re-evolve them, or force another species to adapt to the same role...somehow. Once human beings are gone from the planet, which I believe will happen one day, the earth will return to a better, purer state given the passage of an indeterminate number of centuries. Imagine, then, the possibility that another species will evolve that echoes ours. Process might start all over again.

I'm fairly confident that we're in enough of an intellectual/technological boom that we'll be able to get off this rock before we kill ourselves off. Anyway some do, but I don't particularly believe in a 'betterness' or 'purity' without human beings... once (if) we're gone things will simply be, but they won't be better or worse... better or worseness only exists in relation to the human species and our unique perspective on 'health' and 'equality'.

All species tend to compete for survival... when the pressure on an ecosystem bubble grows too strong the bubble will collapse, but the water beneath it is still boiling... new bubbles will form.

I do agree with you though if/when we're gone though the cycle will likely repeat.

Ivan Drago
05-02-2008, 08:46 PM
I saw the new trailer before Iron Man...I still don't know if I'm going to see it or not.

lovejuice
05-02-2008, 10:01 PM

but what's commonly known as "bee" is not just a "specie." not a biologist, myself, but i think, it's something bigger: genus, or that kinda crap. anyway i highly doubt we did cause the extinction of that whole lot of single animal.

transmogrifier
05-02-2008, 10:34 PM
I think it looks good. Maybe the only film I'm really excited for this summer, actually. Maybe Wall-E.

Um....let's agree to disagree on this one. People trying to outrun the wind doesn't do a hell of a lot for me. And it looks as if Deschanel has been completely and utterly Shyazombialized.

Sven
05-02-2008, 10:50 PM
What entices me is that by the end of the trailer, it indicates that they're running from a physical entity. I will concede that some of the Shyamalanisms are not thrilling (whispered dialogue, ambiguous lines about "something"). However, I love Shyamalan's work as a visualist--his graphics are always grabbing and he's been able to string together some very impressive photographic work.

I will admit that after rewatching The Sixth Sense and realizing that it's completely nonsensical from any vantage point, and being less-than-lukewarm about Unbreakable, I'm starting to be slightly warier of this wily Indian.

lovejuice
05-02-2008, 10:57 PM
I will admit that after rewatching The Sixth Sense and realizing that it's completely nonsensical from any vantage point, and being less-than-lukewarm about Unbreakable, I'm starting to be slightly warier of this wily Indian.

he needs to try something new. i don't think the happening looks that promising. imo, anything he does along this line will be just a pale imitation of the signs.

DavidSeven
05-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Epidemic movies are really in right now, aren't they?

MadMan
05-03-2008, 12:46 AM
I saw the new trailer for this flick. I'm very wary of this film after M. Night's last two movies....but I think it looks interesting. Unless word of month is strong and the reviews are good it'll be a rental at best though.

Qrazy
05-03-2008, 05:05 AM
What entices me is that by the end of the trailer, it indicates that they're running from a physical entity. I will concede that some of the Shyamalanisms are not thrilling (whispered dialogue, ambiguous lines about "something"). However, I love Shyamalan's work as a visualist--his graphics are always grabbing and he's been able to string together some very impressive photographic work.

Yeah pretty much Sixth Sense and Unbreakable have flaws and after that it's all downhill... so... gah.

Sven
05-03-2008, 05:56 AM
Yeah pretty much Sixth Sense and Unbreakable have flaws and after that it's all downhill... so... gah.

I quite love Signs, thought The Village had some remarkable ideas (and photography) but lousy-ass dialogue, and Lady in the Water gets a thumbs up from me for being so wild and wacky and passionate. I've seen all three of those at least twice to be certain, and they held up. Unbreakable and Sixth Sense... not so much. So I guess I disagree with you.

transmogrifier
05-03-2008, 06:30 PM
I quite love Signs, thought The Village had some remarkable ideas (and photography) but lousy-ass dialogue, and Lady in the Water gets a thumbs up from me for being so wild and wacky and passionate. I've seen all three of those at least twice to be certain, and they held up. Unbreakable and Sixth Sense... not so much. So I guess I disagree with you.

I'm still not convinced that your opinion regarding Shyamalan is any more than strict contriarianism. Certainly, in all the threads you've ever discussed your opinions regarding Shyamalan, I've never been able to figure out a consistent POV. Call it the Armond White Syndrome.

Qrazy
05-03-2008, 07:05 PM

Well it's a shame you like all his worst films and dislike his only competent ones but I guess that'll happen. ;)

Bosco B Thug
05-03-2008, 08:08 PM
What entices me is that by the end of the trailer, it indicates that they're running from a physical entity. Please God, don't let Shyamalan be pulling another The Village. His trailers are always about teasing us about some undisclosed, threatening entity, and half the time ('Village' and 'Lady in the Water') it doesn't deliver.

I will admit that after rewatching The Sixth Sense and realizing that it's completely nonsensical from any vantage point Yes.

And yes, The Village is his best film because it's his most challenging and least trite, formally and thematically. *sigh*... even though it's completely retarded at the same time. (haven't seen Unbreakable)

I seriously don't know what to expect from this new movie. What is the threat? Is it really knocking down walls and sneaking up behind Mark Whalberg? Don't tell me!

Qrazy
05-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Please God, don't let Shyamalan be pulling another The Village. His trailers are always about teasing us about some undisclosed, threatening entity, and half the time ('Village' and 'Lady in the Water') it doesn't deliver.

Yes.

And yes, The Village is his best film because it's his most challenging and least trite, formally and thematically. *sigh*... even though it's completely retarded at the same time. (haven't seen Unbreakable)

I seriously don't know what to expect from this new movie. What is the threat? Is it really knocking down walls and sneaking up behind Mark Whalberg? Don't tell me!

Whatever it is we can be sure that it's HAPPENING... or is it? Dun. dun. dun.

Sven
05-03-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm still not convinced that your opinion regarding Shyamalan is any more than strict contriarianism. Certainly, in all the threads you've ever discussed your opinions regarding Shyamalan, I've never been able to figure out a consistent POV. Call it the Armond White Syndrome.

What have I ever said that has contradicted my current sentiments?

Sven
05-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Well it's a shame you like all his worst films and dislike his only competent ones but I guess that'll happen. ;)

What is it about his "competent" films that differentiates them from his "worst" ones?

megladon8
05-03-2008, 10:33 PM
They played the new trailer last night at Iron Man.

It doesn't look like it's just the wind that's chasing them.

When Wahlberg is in the house, and a window break open, something could clearly be seeng coming in through the window - unless the curtains somehow gave that illusion.

Anyways, I think it looks like quite a The Birds rip-off.

Oh, and I still find that line by Wahlberg absolutely hilarious...

TRAIN CONDUCTOR: We lost contact.
WAHLBERG: With whom?

I just cannot picture Mark Wahlberg using the word "whom".

Bosco B Thug
05-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Whatever it is we can be sure that it's HAPPENING... or is it? Dun. dun. dun. :lol:

Oh Shyamalan, you're too cute sometimes.

Anyone heard of those pieces of performance art called "happenings"? (Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happening)) I saw a comedy troupe parodying them and all it consisted of was prancing about to Coldplay and Belle and Sebastian, then the girl dressed herself in a garbage bag and began smearing toothpaste all over her face. Then they all proceeded to fake make-out. It was very inspired. They titled their piece "The Happening," it was performed right about the time this movie was announced in production, and now that's all I can think of when I hear about this movie. A fun association, though.

Fezzik
05-04-2008, 01:45 AM
I saw the trailer before Iron Man as well, and I think its one of the more cringe worthy trailers I've ever seen.

A lot of shots of Wahlberg with wide eyes and looking scared, coupled with loud, bass-filled noises to enduce frights.

It was really bad.

Enough to suck any intention I had to see it out of my body. (Not that I was incredibly stoked to see it anyway).

EyesWideOpen
05-04-2008, 02:24 AM
After seeing the trailer before Iron Man it's my highest priority summer movie.

Qrazy
05-04-2008, 02:34 AM
What is it about his "competent" films that differentiates them from his "worst" ones?

I dunno I was just joking around (poorly) but I just find his work has become consistently more insipid as he goes along... solid director in need of a good screenwriter.

Sycophant
05-04-2008, 06:50 AM
After seeing the trailer before Iron Man it's my highest priority summer movie.Yeah, everyone I saw this with today seems to have had the opposite reaction, but it made me realize that this summer is Wall-E, Speed Racer, and this.

number8
05-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Knowing what the threat is, I was baffled by the chasing and wall-bursting too. Until I realized that it must be plants coming alive.

Oh, Shyami.

Sven
05-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Knowing what the threat is, I was baffled by the chasing and wall-bursting too. Until I realized that it must be plants coming alive.

Oh, Shyami.

See, I would LOVE to see that!

Watashi
05-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Hopefully they make it like that Batman episode House and Garden. That would rule.

Qrazy
05-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Hopefully they make it like that Batman episode House and Garden. That would rule.

Or what about...

http://www.comic-lair.com/tickelseed.jpg

Ezee E
05-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Well, that first trailer was good.

This one is just horrible though.

The Ruins > The Happening

Dukefrukem
05-04-2008, 07:45 PM
is this new trailer online anywhere?

Kurosawa Fan
05-05-2008, 01:42 AM
New trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_LozCdbnlA

It's right here Duke. It was posted a page back.

Dukefrukem
05-05-2008, 12:30 PM
It's right here Duke. It was posted a page back.

thanks...

why would a train stop in the middle of no where if they lost contact?

and i can't get a good shot of the window there... i see some glass break if thats what everyone is referring to about something coming through the window...

Dillard
05-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Redband trailer (http://www.joblo.com/video/player.php?video=redbandhappen ing) if you're into that sort of thing. Apparently it earns its "R" rating.

Bosco B Thug
05-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Redband trailer (http://www.joblo.com/video/player.php?video=redbandhappen ing) if you're into that sort of thing. Apparently it earns its "R" rating.
Oh. Awesome. This movie is the toss-up of the summer season for me. It got a particularly scathing review over at AICN recently, though...

Watashi
05-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I read the review. This is a movie I might see at a matinee to avoid stupid audiences booing the film. Lady and the Water got trashed and I ended up loving that. We'll see.

Sycophant
05-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I read the review. This is a movie I might see at a matinee to avoid stupid audiences booing the film. Lady and the Water got trashed and I ended up loving that. We'll see.That's a really good point re: the audience. I'll be catching this on its first Sunday, first matinee.

Sven
05-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Ew. Movie looks gross! Can't wait to see it.

megladon8
05-16-2008, 11:19 PM
The spoiler contains info about the red band trailer.

Was it necessary for them to spoil Leguizamo's fate in the trailer?

Boner M
05-17-2008, 02:06 AM
Wahlberg's line readings in these trailers are so LOLZ... and I usually like him.

MacGuffin
05-17-2008, 02:39 AM
Was it necessary for them to spoil Leguizamo's fate in the trailer?

spoiler tagz plz

Kurosawa Fan
05-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Wahlberg's line readings in these trailers are so LOLZ... and I usually like him.

Yeah, he really looks bad.

Kurosawa Fan
05-17-2008, 02:01 PM
spoiler tagz plz

If this is a problem in the future, please don't quote the post. It only makes it worse. Just start the post with the posters name.

Boner M
05-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Yeah, he really looks bad.
This writer of this early review (http://www.collider.com/entertainment/reviews/article.asp/aid/7903/tcid/1) said "I'm saying this with no hyperbole, but Wahlberg might very well give the worst performance I've ever seen in anything". Yeeesh.

Kurosawa Fan
05-17-2008, 02:19 PM
This writer of this early review (http://www.collider.com/entertainment/reviews/article.asp/aid/7903/tcid/1) said "I'm saying this with no hyperbole, but Wahlberg might very well give the worst performance I've ever seen in anything". Yeeesh.

Ouch. I'm a big fan of his work, so even seeing those small clips in the preview and how poor they looked was surprising. Seems it wasn't just a poorly edited trailer. Bummer. :sad:

transmogrifier
05-18-2008, 02:07 AM
Yeah, the short clip on Yahoo introduced by M. Night looked terrible - dialogue and acting, stiff as a board. He really has no skill at directing actors.

Ivan Drago
05-22-2008, 02:32 AM

That it does. The dog eating off the guy's limbs was awesome, though. Yes I'm a sick man.

The Ruins > The Happening

How was The Ruins, by the way?

Kurosawa Fan
05-22-2008, 02:33 PM
I saw a TV spot yesterday for this and M. Night was never mentioned. The brief credits at the end were so brief you'd have to pause it to see who directed it. It's an interesting angle if they're trying to keep his name out of things. It won't work, and perhaps this was just done for time constraints. It was a 15 second spot, so maybe they just wanted to get in as much footage as possible.

Dukefrukem
05-22-2008, 06:47 PM
omg!!!!!!!!!!

spoiler has info about the trailer

the lawnmower scene was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pop Trash
05-28-2008, 08:00 AM
So riddle me this:
I actually really like The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. I think Shamylon is an interesting director. But from my memory Signs had a really terrible twist ending:
Correct me if I am wrong, I haven't seen it in a few years but I seem to remember WATER killing the aliens. That's right WATER or H2O that takes up a good portion of the earth's atmosphere depending on how humid it is where you live. An alien couldn't survive in our atmosphere. Am I totally remembering that wrong or was that the twist?
Anyways were The Village and Lady in the Water any good? I seem to remember both of them getting mediocre reviews. Even Ebert gave The Village one star or something and he is pretty forgiving. But I might go back and do an M. Night movie fest and watch them all back to back. Sounds like a fun time.

Sven
05-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Aliens dying by water isn't really a twist. It's just another layer of information.

I like The Village (despite its horrendous dialogue) and love Lady in the Water, but I may not be the best person to listen to about Shyamalan, because apparently, according to trans, I am inconsistent about his work.

Ezee E
05-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Yeah, Signs had no twist, but I liked it all despite some logical loopholes.

The Village and Lady in the Water are god awful though.

Qrazy
05-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Yeah, Signs had no twist, but I liked it all despite some logical loopholes.

The Village and Lady in the Water are god awful though.

You know even if it's foreshadowed it can still be called a plot twist. Alien in living room... sudden realization... kill with water... my wife knew all along... that's pretty much a plot twist.

Sven
05-28-2008, 04:01 PM
You know even if it's foreshadowed it can still be called a plot twist. Alien in living room... sudden realization... kill with water... my wife knew all along... that's pretty much a plot twist.

You don't REALLY want to get into a semantics argument with me today, do you?

Qrazy
05-28-2008, 05:05 PM
You don't REALLY want to get into a semantics argument with me today, do you?

No not really, I'd prefer just to think you were just raised in a far away land where all of the words meanings I was raised with veer towards the other side of the spectrum in your land.

Sven
05-28-2008, 05:23 PM
No not really, I'd prefer just to think you were just raised in a far away land where all of the words meanings I was raised with veer towards the other side of the spectrum in your land.

You are British, aren't you?

Kurosawa Fan
05-28-2008, 05:23 PM
You are British, aren't you?

Isn't he Brazilian?

Wryan
05-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Watched Unbreakable last night. Still awesome sauce. This movie will blow up and down Chalmer Street though.

Sven
05-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Isn't he Brazilian?

He said he's met p_r, who is British (I'm pretty sure). All assumptions here. I know K_K and Grouchy are Brazilian...

Sven
05-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Wait... maybe p_r is Canadian...

Kurosawa Fan
05-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Wait... maybe p_r is Canadian...

Rogue is Canadian, that I'm sure of. But I could have sworn that Qrazy had mentioned that he lived in Rio for a spell. Maybe I'm confused.

Pop Trash
05-29-2008, 07:36 AM
But that's my point...if you can kill an alien with water, the alien would already be dead since our atmosphere is made up of H2O...it just doesn't make any sense...unless I'm forgetting a convinient loophole Shymalan wrote in to the script.

Sycophant
05-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Toxic levels/quantities of water?

Ezee E
05-29-2008, 03:05 PM
But that's my point...if you can kill an alien with water, the alien would already be dead since our atmosphere is made up of H2O...it just doesn't make any sense...unless I'm forgetting a convinient loophole Shymalan wrote in to the script.
Nothing in the script, but I wouldn't worry too much about it anyway.

NickGlass
05-29-2008, 03:26 PM
He said he's met p_r, who is British (I'm pretty sure). All assumptions here. I know K_K and Grouchy are Brazilian...

Grouchy is Argentinian. I'm quite sure he's from Buenos Aires and he speaks Spanish, not Portuguese.

Sven
05-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Grouchy is Argentinian. I'm quite sure he's from Buenos Aires and he speaks Spanish, not Portuguese.

I'm sure I knew that. Dunno why I wasn't thinking before.

Grouchy
05-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Si, el Nick tiene toda la razón.

Qrazy
05-29-2008, 06:50 PM

Well I agree with you that it's a fairly stupid twist, no argument there... however it is somewhat reasonable... some people are actually allergic to water (externally)... Aquagenic Urticaria. These people still have to drink it to survive though, one can think of the aliens as an extreme case of that.

I'm American (Vermont), school in Canada.

Rowland
05-29-2008, 06:51 PM
The commercials for this are so vague, it's kinda hilarious. They play out like parodies.

Watashi
05-29-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't care how bad this movie supposedly sucks, as long I know that this is in it:

http://www.bigfatcrybaby.com/images/200805/.bigimages.zooey-deschanel-book-01.jpg

SirNewt
05-31-2008, 10:31 AM
"the creator of the sixth sense and signs, brings you his first R rated movie."

I find this offensive.

Boner M
06-11-2008, 05:26 AM
I might make time for this tomorrow, after my morning festival screen of the new K. Kurosawa. I have no doubt that it'll be horribly scripted, but there's something appealingly stark and basic about it, at least from the clips and trailers I've seen.

KK2.0
06-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Is this not being screened for critics? Always a bad sign.

Lady in the Water was a trainwreck to me, but i always hope for a decent Shyamalan flick... it's starting to look like my fruitless hope that Star Wars will return to be great.

Off-topic: I've been in Buenos Aires during the holydays, Grouchy, beautiful city.

Grouchy
06-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Off-topic: I've been in Buenos Aires during the holydays, Grouchy, beautiful city.
Thanks man, let me know if you ever come back.

You're from Brazil then? Ever heard of Jose Mojica Marins? I've seen some of his Ze do Caixao stuff, he's a raving madman.

Henry Gale
06-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Is this not being screened for critics? Always a bad sign.

I think Fox changed their minds about it not being shown to critics. Even if the screenings are last minute, they'll all still be up on Friday.

So far there's 5 up on RT with 60% so far (suprisingly fresh even with just a few).

Dukefrukem
06-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Ok new theory. (unless someone else said this already)

After watching each trailer several several times... I'm convinced...

This movie is a complete rip off of Steven King's Cell. There are several scenes in the trailers where people are covering their ears. Mark does it one scene, a little girl does it... and the scene on the bench where the lady punchers her neck the woman sitting next to her says; "did you hear that?"... so they didn't turn into zombies like in Cell, but its a frequency or noise is that is causing them to do it... i'm still seeing it

and i bet the people who aren't affected have a hearing problem or some kind of physical disability that prevents them from being affected...

Boner M
06-12-2008, 06:43 AM
It's kinda amazing how much this film fails, while at the same time aspiring to so little. What a terrible film.

Sycophant
06-12-2008, 07:00 AM
It's kinda amazing how much this film fails, while at the same time aspiring to so little. What a terrible film.
Damn. It's not like I'm not gonna watch it. But still, damn. I just saw a clip on Conan tonight that wasn't too promising, either.

But at least Tokyo Sonata was awesome, right? :pritch:

Boner M
06-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Damn. It's not like I'm not gonna watch it. But still, damn. I just saw a clip on Conan tonight that wasn't too promising, either.

But at least Tokyo Sonata was awesome, right? :pritch:
Actual scene in the film - A woman nonchalantly presents Marky Mark (whose furrowed-to-the-max brow is the film's main source of entertainment) a phone playing footage of a man feeding himself to lions, before another onlooking woman portentously whispers in disbelief, "what kind of terrorists are these?"

Tokyo Sonata is awesome, though. I'll write more on that one later.

Watashi
06-12-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm 100% sure I'm gonna love this film.

Dukefrukem
06-12-2008, 01:33 PM

Wow. The only time in my life I've been 100% sure i was gonna love a film was Matrix Reloaded...

Boner M
06-12-2008, 01:40 PM
I really hope that I'm not making this out to be some sort of fascinating trainwreck ala Lady in the Water; it's just extraordinarily dull, lazy filmmaking, with a few spots of unintentional lulz. And the last 15 minutes are a complete non-event.

Kurosawa Fan
06-12-2008, 01:52 PM
I saw a clip of this film on Letterman last night (Zooey was the guest) and it couldn't have looked worse. The scene involved a group of people standing in a grassy field, and just over the hill they start hearing gunshots. The group starts to panic, saying they should go back and help them, and asking Wahlberg what they should do, while he just stands there saying "Give me a sec!" over and over. Phenomenally bad acting from everyone in the scene. I'll still see this, but my expectations are definitely in check.

monolith94
06-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Well I agree with you that it's a fairly stupid twist, no argument there... however it is somewhat reasonable... some people are actually allergic to water (externally)... Aquagenic Urticaria. These people still have to drink it to survive though, one can think of the aliens as an extreme case of that.

I'm American (Vermont), school in Canada.
Where in Vermont? I go skiing at Killington whenever I can.

Rowland
06-12-2008, 03:48 PM
I can't wait to read Chaw's Zero Star review. I'll still be seeing this though, mostly out of morbid curiosity.

Morris Schæffer
06-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Leaving in ten minutes. I'll get back with thoughts in about two hours.

Hated Lady in the Water, loved the Sixth Sense, liked Unbreakable, really dug Signs and even found The Village quite engaging and splendidly shot.

Bosco B Thug
06-12-2008, 07:55 PM
I saw a clip of this film on Letterman last night (Zooey was the guest) and it couldn't have looked worse. The scene involved a group of people standing in a grassy field, and just over the hill they start hearing gunshots. The group starts to panic, saying they should go back and help them, and asking Wahlberg what they should do, while he just stands there saying "Give me a sec!" over and over. Phenomenally bad acting from everyone in the scene. I'll still see this, but my expectations are definitely in check.
Hmm... I saw Deschanel on Letterman too. I thought the clip and the acting in it were pretty good.

But a 15! Ouch.

Morris Schæffer
06-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Ok new theory. (unless someone else said this already)

After watching each trailer several several times... I'm convinced...

Not really. It's not a bad one, but the suggestion that plantlife is responsible for this cataclysm is definitely pretty pervasive in this movie. In fact, I kinda wish it wasn't pushed to the forefront so heavily in this movie because a simple scene involving swaying grass moved by the wind was definitely somewhat creepy and rather suggestive all by itself. As was the unmistakable sight of two gigantic, distant chimneys suggesting the film definitely has an ecological message. As it stands, the theorizing about veggie rebellion sort of made the movie sound pretty silly. Wahlberg actually talks to a plant at some point! So yeah, it does get a bit silly at times and the feeling of dread, masterful in some scenes, isn't really sustained and I got the impression Shyamalan was reaching for tension by introducing other obstacles such as nutso folks to keep audiences riveted.

Qrazy
06-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Where in Vermont? I go skiing at Killington whenever I can.

Montpelier. I mostly ski Sugarbush now but growing up a lot of Burke and Jay.