PDA

View Full Version : Tarkovsky/Kieslowski/Tarr/Wajda/Angelopoulos

Qrazy
12-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Anyone who likes these filmmakers needs to check out Aleksei German right now. The only film of his that I think is somewhat available is My Friend Ivan Lapshin. I watched it on a whim off Karagarga and it's absolutely fantastic. It was banned for fourteen years in the Soviet Union. In fact most of his films were banned for extended periods of time, thank god the prints survived.

origami_mustache
12-06-2007, 11:40 AM
dling although I probably won't watch it for a while...I have a backlog of dled films + Netflix.

Yxklyx
12-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Netflix doesn't have any of his films.

If you like Wajda you should definitely check out Jerzy Kawalerowicz's early films. Night Train and Mother Joan of Angels are the best films to come out of Poland in the 50s/60s.

Izzy Black
12-07-2007, 12:17 AM
What connection does Kieslowski have to those other filmmakers?

Qrazy
12-07-2007, 02:06 AM
Themes/Eastern European Aesthetic

origami_mustache
01-14-2008, 10:33 AM
I finally got around to watching it. The cinematography in this film is truly remarkable, as is the case in most great Russian films. I've always been drawn to the preoccupation Eastern European filmmakers have with nostalgia and how the camera movements reflect a sort of dreamlike recollection. This is one of the primary reason why I consider Tarkovsky to be one of my favorite directors. My Friend Ivan Lapshin hints at the dark future awaiting the Soviet people, while juxtaposing it with the character's optimism. It's interesting to see the narrator grapple with his feelings associated with these fragmented memories. Despite the horrors that occurred between the story we are being told and the present day, the narrator holds these memories dear and declares his love for these people he spent his childhood with.

Qrazy
01-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Very happy to see you liked it. I have 3 of his other films but no subtitles. :( I'm trying to get some Russian friends to watch it and translate it for me but it's not looking good.

origami_mustache
01-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Very happy to see you liked it. I have 3 of his other films but no subtitles. :( I'm trying to get some Russian friends to watch it and translate it for me but it's not looking good.

That would be great, good luck with that.