PDA

View Full Version : Anime Series Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sycophant
12-06-2007, 06:09 AM
Because I've thought for a while that we need one.

To get it started, my favorite anime series as they seem to me at this very moment:

1. Paranoia Agent
2. FLCL
3. Azumanga Daioh
4. Cowboy Bebop
5. Neon Genesis Evangelion
6. Excel Saga
7. Samurai Champloo
8. Boogiepop Phantom
9. GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka
10. Ebichu Minds the House

Stay Puft
12-07-2007, 08:43 AM
I don't watch much anime, or television in general, but I did recently view the entire run of Berserk, which was pretty damn good. It took a couple episodes to get rolling, but as the political intrigue escalated the show found a compelling groove. To that extent, however, I found the supernatural elements periphery to the show's overall quality and just kind of uninteresting as a result. It does come together nicely at the end if taken as a visual metaphor for Griffith's abhorrent actions.

Susumu Hirasawa composed the music for the show, so of course I loved that about it quite a bit. Just amazing, beautiful music. A stark contrast to the opening and closing themes, performed by what band I have no idea, but the laughable attempts at English were a strange delight.

Mr. Valentine
12-08-2007, 02:51 AM
one of my favorite recent series that i recommend to people is Gankutsou: The Count of Monte Cristo. it takes a few episodes to get going but it's a fantastic series and it looks amazing as well.

D_Davis
12-08-2007, 05:48 AM
I start by just listing some favorites:

1. LAIN
2. Boogiepop Phantom
3. Macross
4. Cowboy Bebop
5. Galaxy Express 999

Sycophant
12-08-2007, 04:13 PM
For some reason, I decided to watch Lain mostly while nearly asleep. I should give it another shot.

lovejuice
12-08-2007, 06:56 PM
one of my favorite recent series that i recommend to people is Gankutsou: The Count of Monte Cristo. it takes a few episodes to get going but it's a fantastic series and it looks amazing as well.

did it already end? how many episodes are there? i'm always interested, but still wait for the series to complete before diving into it.

D is right. LAIN is effing awesome.

and i'm among few soul on this planet who doesn't get Cowboy Bebob.

Mr. Valentine
12-08-2007, 09:39 PM
did it already end? how many episodes are there? i'm always interested, but still wait for the series to complete before diving into it.

D is right. LAIN is effing awesome.

and i'm among few soul on this planet who doesn't get Cowboy Bebob.

it's 24 episodes long and ended back in 2005 although the region 1 dvd releases finished about a year and a half ago. i watched it all through netflix.

D_Davis
12-08-2007, 09:46 PM
LAIN is truly a great work of science-fiction. It is one of the most true depictions of the genre I have experienced outside of print media.

Beyond books, I think that anime represents the best of what science fiction has to offer.

Mr. Valentine
12-08-2007, 09:49 PM
yeah Lain and Boogiepop Phantom are both pretty awesome although i haven't watched since their releases so i'm due for a rewatch on both.

lovejuice
03-03-2009, 07:22 PM
my local bestbuy pulls a half price on some animes. there are two series that i'm particular interested in: Burst Angel and Coyote Ragtime Show. anyone ever heard positive or negative thing about them? BA looks like a babelicious/mecha show, while CRS looks like it contains more "story."

Kurosawa Fan
03-03-2009, 07:57 PM
I fucking LOVE Lain. I went broke purchasing those DVDs so I could finish the series when I was in high school.

Qrazy
03-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Can't stand Lain. The visual storytelling is so poor. There's barely anything tying individual shots together. Here's everything I've seen (to completion... started and abandoned other series or am still working on them)... I'm probably forgetting a couple anyway.

Not counting OVAs. Bear in mind this is a very loose list. It's only representative of my taste in terms of the overall flow of the list. That is to say I prefer the shows at the top to the shows at the bottom but plenty of shows could move up or down three or four places.

Cowboy Bebop
Seirei No Moribito
Paranoia Agent
Mushishi
Death Note
Naruto (excluding filler episodes)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Last Exile
Fullmetal Alchemist
Code Geass
Now and Then, Here and There
Welcome to the NHK
Great Teacher Onizuka
Kaiba
Samurai Champloo
Hikaru No Go
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Trigun
Kemonozume
Berserk
Black Lagoon
Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Season 1
Full Metal Panic
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffo
Ergo Proxy
Baccano
Elfen Lied
Ninja Scroll
Kino's Journey
Macross Frontier
Kaiji
Serial Experiments Lain

Actually to be honest the only one on the list I haven't finished yet is Lain. Maybe it picks up in the second half.

Qrazy
03-03-2009, 08:15 PM
my local bestbuy pulls a half price on some animes. there are two series that i'm particular interested in: Burst Angel and Coyote Ragtime Show. anyone ever heard positive or negative thing about them? BA looks like a babelicious/mecha show, while CRS looks like it contains more "story."

Haven't seen either but go with Burst Angel. Very few mechas rise above the usual tedium.

Sycophant
03-03-2009, 08:19 PM
I shouldn't have watched Lain exclusively after arriving home at 1:30 am from closing shifts at the video store. I don't remember anything about it except it had a nifty opening.

I should give it another shot one day, while awake.

Qrazy
03-03-2009, 08:26 PM
I shouldn't have watched Lain exclusively after arriving home at 1:30 am from closing shifts at the video store. I don't remember anything about it except it had a nifty opening.

I watched it when I was awake and remember it being crap. I also dislike the opening.

Sycophant
03-03-2009, 08:30 PM
For some reason, I decided to watch Lain mostly while nearly asleep. I should give it another shot.

I said nearly the exact same thing on the very same page about 15 months ago. I suck.

I'm aware the show might suck, too. But I can't really say that I've watched it as it is.

Qrazy
03-03-2009, 08:32 PM
I said nearly the exact same thing on the very same page about 15 months ago. I suck.

I'm aware the show might suck, too. But I can't really say that I've watched it as it is.

You rewatch it and I'll finally finish it and we can compare notes.

Sycophant
03-03-2009, 08:32 PM
You rewatch it and I'll finally finish it and we can compare notes.

Sounds good. I think I'll start Seirei first.

Kurosawa Fan
03-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Anyone ever seen Gunsmith Cats? That was another of my favorites.

Qrazy
03-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Sounds good. I think I'll start Seirei first.

Sounds better. Maybe I'll finish Outlaw Star and my friend wants me to watch Haibane Renmei and then I'll do Lain. Also been meaning to watch Gungrave, Claymore, Xam'd: Lost Memories, Monster, Gankutsuou, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Boogiepop, Terra e..., The Tower of Druaga, Michiko to Hatchin and others.

In terms of longer anime has anyone here seen Gintama or D. Grayman? Both have great premises but I'm always nervous about starting a longer anime, I like to have some strong recommendations first.

Sycophant
03-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Thirdmango's been telling me to watch Bleach and One Piece and Naruto for years. I have a hard time with anime series that run over one season in length, if for no other reason than I like to support good series by buying their American DVD releases. However, the sheer size of those behemoths make that kind of a ridiculously costly prospect.

Though, as I've lately been finding myself clearing through entire series at a pretty rapid pace, it seems more doable in terms of the time commitment.

The longest anime series I've watched is GTO.

Qrazy
03-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Thirdmango's been telling me to watch Bleach and One Piece and Naruto for years. I have a hard time with anime series that run over one season in length, if for no other reason than I like to support good series by buying their American DVD releases. However, the sheer size of those behemoths make that kind of a ridiculously costly prospect.

Though, as I've lately been finding myself clearing through entire series at a pretty rapid pace, it seems more doable in terms of the time commitment.

The longest anime series I've watched is GTO.

Yeah I've been told to watch Bleach as well but have held off for similar reasons (well more time commitment). Naruto is a mixed bag. Some of it is just phenomenal but it does often get into superfluous filler territory and Shippuuden in particular is absolutely horribly paced. The series also isn't completed (I'm reading the manga and I think they're about 150 or so ahead of the series and it's still not done) so that's a frustration. Also to a certain degree the series is about the whole training to fight tougher enemies idea so it can get repetitive. Despite that many of the characters and narratives are great. Maybe check out the first season and see how you like it, the first season does have a single story arc to it so that's a plus.

Skitch
03-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Best Buy has all anime 50% off. I got Ghost in the Shell2: Innocence in a nifty tin with the score, and the complete GITS: Stand Alone Complex for about $30. Score!

Skitch
03-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Bleach is quite good. It has its moments of forehead-slap-ness, but it still is pretty interesting. You're right about it being a costly deal though.

lovejuice
03-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Anyone ever seen Gunsmith Cats? That was another of my favorites.

never watched it, but i like the manga. pretty sure the anime is even better since it's quite famous for its technicality.

and :rep: for you, sir. i fucking love lain.

Sounds better. Maybe I'll finish Outlaw Star...

In terms of longer anime has anyone here seen Gintama or D. Grayman?

i have been thinking about outlaw star just today. it's not a great show by any standard, but there are a couple of episodes that just way above its average. in fact those few episodes are so freaking awesome that the show's slightly recommendable.

i read some issues of D. Grayman, the manga. and think it's a fine copycat of so many series out there. nothing extraordinarily standout, but nothing offensively bad either.

actually just like bleach. which i still read for the artwork, but totally give up in the narrative department.

Qrazy
03-03-2009, 10:59 PM
never watched it, but i like the manga. pretty sure the anime is even better since it's quite famous for its technicality.

and :rep: for you, sir. i fucking love lain.

i have been thinking about outlaw star just today. it's not a great show by any standard, but there are a couple of episodes that just way above its average. in fact those few episodes are so freaking awesome that the show's slightly recommendable.

i read some issues of D. Grayman, the manga. and think it's a fine copycat of so many series out there. nothing extraordinarily standout, but nothing offensively bad either.

actually just like bleach. which i still read for the artwork, but totally give up in the narrative department.

What are your top ten shows?

lovejuice
03-03-2009, 11:11 PM
What are your top ten shows?
gah!!! can never make one up. besides i don't consider myself that well-versed in anime. manga is more my line.

but if you don't mind me slapdashing top five together.

1. Mashin Hero Wataru. (fucking love it as a child. watch it quite recently, and still adore the hell out of it.)
2. Serial Experiments Lain.
3. Patlabor (sadly enough. never watched it to the end.)
4. Blue Seed (is it that good? or i just love 3x3 eyes too much?)
5. i can kinda see Trigun being here.

out of your list, i love Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, and GTO as manga. never watched any of it in anime format.

Sycophant
03-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Though this is the anime discussion thread, I'd very much be interested in finding out what your favorite manga are, lovejuice, as I've never really read any.

Qrazy
03-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Though this is the anime discussion thread, I'd very much be interested in finding out what your favorite manga are, lovejuice, as I've never really read any.

Yeah same here particularly because a ton of mangas have been turned into animes and if the manga is good the anime is usually good as well. I haven't found many shows that have done a disservice to the mangas.

lovejuice
03-03-2009, 11:19 PM

my favorite manga ever is Sanshirou no Jijyou. it's never popular enough to be made into anime, so really few people outside the east asian know about it. if you google it, hardly anything related to the series come up, in fact.

a more well-known examples are city hunter and maps. those three are like the trinity of my manga religion. (3x3 eyes used to be here, but was demoted because of the suckfest near the end.)

Qrazy
03-03-2009, 11:22 PM
gah!!! can never make one up. besides i don't consider myself that well-versed in anime. manga is more my line.

but if you don't mind me slapdashing top five together.

1. Mashin Hero Wataru. (fucking love it as a child. watch it quite recently, and still adore the hell out of it.)
2. Serial Experiments Lain.
3. Patlabor (sadly enough. never watched it to the end.)
4. Blue Seed (is it that good? or i just love 3x3 eyes too much?)
5. i can kinda see Trigun being here.

out of your list, i love Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, and GTO as manga. never watched any of it in anime format.

Are you caught up on the Naruto manga? Some crazy stuff going down these days. I really need to see the two Patlabor films since I'm a fan of Oshii. Been searching for a torrent of Sky Crawlers (pretty sure it's been released).

Qrazy
03-03-2009, 11:26 PM
I want more people to watch Now and Then, Here and There and tell me their thoughts.

http://tv.blinkx.com/show/now-and-then-here-and-there/jOFQkSztyQB22-u4JwMAW1JiQx1tFvx3vxeDCLbLQrw

lovejuice
03-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Are you caught up on the Naruto manga? Some crazy stuff going down these days.

i read the thai version. sasuke's just joining force with the akatsuki. i LOVE those akatsuki guys/gal, all ten of them. freaking cool design, esp. pain and sasori. i also like how powerful they all are. this kinda show is only as good as its antagonists, i'll say.

orochimaru, on the other hand, is a big disappointment.

Sycophant
03-03-2009, 11:28 PM
I want more people to watch Now and Then, Here and There and tell me their thoughts.

http://tv.blinkx.com/show/now-and-then-here-and-there/jOFQkSztyQB22-u4JwMAW1JiQx1tFvx3vxeDCLbLQrw

I was actually going to start this instead of my recent viewing of MSG 00, but the copy I wound up with was without subtitles (but dual audio--I could've watched it in English, but I don't do that).

lovejuice
03-03-2009, 11:29 PM

will def. do that. heard a lot of good things about it as well.

Qrazy
03-03-2009, 11:32 PM
will def. do that. heard a lot of good things about it as well.

It's fairly brutal.

Qrazy
03-03-2009, 11:33 PM
I was actually going to start this instead of my recent viewing of MSG 00, but the copy I wound up with was without subtitles (but dual audio--I could've watched it in English, but I don't do that).

Yeah I'm not a dub man either.

Qrazy
03-03-2009, 11:34 PM
i read the thai version. sasuke's just joining force with the akatsuki. i LOVE those akatsuki guys/gal, all ten of them. freaking cool design, esp. pain and sasori. i also like how powerful they all are. this kinda show is only as good as its antagonists, i'll say.

orochimaru, on the other hand, is a big disappointment.

Dude, don't know how you can wait, so much crazy stuff happens.

http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/

Winston*
03-04-2009, 06:59 AM
Mushishi

Watched the first disc of this. After the first two episodes I thought it was kind of boring, but it got increasingly better over the next three. Will probably continue with it.

Thirdmango
03-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Let's see, lots of stuff people have gone over lots of opinions to express.

I'm currently still doing the long animes of Naruto, Bleach and One Piece as Sycophant said. Because I got so into each of the anime, I am now reading the manga for each each week.

Naruto had a great beginning. Good side characters and a good overall story line they were going for. But now especially where the manga is today, it feels like the author is tired and wants to stop writing it. I've stopped watching Shippuden because they were doing about two manga per episode but now they keep doing filler and the story lines go really slow. It took them 26 episodes to do the first story line and it went so slowly. I've lost most of my hope for this series. I still would recommend it from the beginning up until the end of the first series before it went into filler mania. The Akatsuki are interesting characters and I like them when they're used but everything is just focused on Naruto now. The side characters have all disappeared.

Bleach had a tough beginning to get into but it picked up well. I don't recommend this one unless you can take on long form anime. So Sycophant I do not recommend this one to you. The thing that this show has better then most is a really good villain. The Main villain was really well thought out. The series looks like it could be in it's last 20% and if it's not, I have no idea where they could go, and I think it should end soon. The problem with this one is they just introduced too many characters and allowed the fan's to dictate which side characters they liked best. They recently had a couple weeks of dumb side characters doing little lame fights in the manga and it wasn't worth reading. This one seems to have gone into broken record mode at the moment and they keep doing the same fights over and over of Ichigo not being able to win, and then finding it in himself to beat him.

I am in love with One Piece and I am a bit surprised that there isn't more support for this one. It's much further along then both Naruto and Bleach and it has more character development then the two others. It is harder to get into as it beats both out of the water since it currently has as much episodes as both Naruto and Bleach combined, but the big difference is as you read the manga, you can tell that right now the author loves what he is doing. He knows how to properly fill each manga with something special. There were story lines which were much too long and didn't have a point. The skypeia (Sky Island) story line is much too long and boring. But there he seemingly didn't know what to do, but now he's getting into the home stretch and he knows what he wants out of his characters. The story line does take a long while to even reveal who the main villain is going to be, mostly because it's much more about the main characters on the boat then it is about anyone else.

----

I started D. Gray Man. I have finished eight episodes so far and I really haven't been able to get into it. The main villain is so ridiculous. The only thing I've really liked about this one is the theme.

One long form one I'm currently enjoying is Soul Eater. I've finished 17 episodes and it's been getting quite good. Good characters and really cool animation.

----

Then the only others I'm currently watching. I'm doing a second time through on Champloo since it's been a long time since the first time. I'm doing my first time on both Hellsing and Neon Genesis. And I'm 4 episodes into Eureka seven, but I'll only keep going if I can get a hold of the episodes.

As for favorites of ones I've seen, well I'll do that later today if I have time.

Stay Puft
03-04-2009, 07:51 AM
(3x3 eyes used to be here, but was demoted because of the suckfest near the end.)

I have fond memories of reading 3x3 eyes when I was younger, even though I only ever read the first handful of volumes. Of course, now that I'm getting nostalgic and looking it up, I'm reading that Dark Horse actually cancelled the run after volume eight, anyways, so I wouldn't have gotten much further. Too bad about the ending, though. I can't believe that it was 40 volumes in total! I missed so much...

Qrazy
03-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Watched the first disc of this. After the first two episodes I thought it was kind of boring, but it got increasingly better over the next three. Will probably continue with it.

It's not amazing, it could/should probably drop down in my list quite a bit but I just love it's atmosphere.

Qrazy
03-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Then the only others I'm currently watching. I'm doing a second time through on Champloo since it's been a long time since the first time. I'm doing my first time on both Hellsing and Neon Genesis. And I'm 4 episodes into Eureka seven, but I'll only keep going if I can get a hold of the episodes.

As for favorites of ones I've seen, well I'll do that later today if I have time.

Watch the Hellsing OVAs, they're newer and better.

lovejuice
03-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Naruto had a great beginning. Good side characters and a good overall story line they were going for....The Akatsuki are interesting characters and I like them when they're used but everything is just focused on Naruto now. The side characters have all disappeared.
agree with your last statement here, although the real problem, i think, is sasuke. it's obvious kishimoto's in love with this spoiled brat. i too wish, he spends more time with side characters.

Bleach...This one seems to have gone into broken record mode at the moment and they keep doing the same fights over and over of Ichigo not being able to win, and then finding it in himself to beat him.
i read the manga, and the gig gets old like >10 issues ago. it follows the rotten footprint/formula of every popular manga ever since established by DBZ. Bleach is slightly above average by its art and how it never took itself too seriously.

I am in love with One Piece and I am a bit surprised that there isn't more support for this one....The skypeia (Sky Island) story line is much too long and boring.
but it has the thunder god!! as a big physics nerd, i love this villain. if you are "light," you must be the most powerful mother in the whole universe (although later on there is this guy who's "gravity/darkness".) i agree with you, oda's really passionate about his work. i rather prefer he better structures the story. right now, it's one random arch after the other.

I have fond memories of reading 3x3 eyes when I was younger, even though I only ever read the first handful of volumes...I can't believe that it was 40 volumes in total! I missed so much...
1-5 ---> dear lord, thank for gracing us human with this heavenly comics.
6-11 ---> amazingly well-paced, and very strong.
11-20 ---> err...kinda pointless, but ok.
21-30 ---> totally different from what it was at the beginning, but very fun and exciting to read.
31-39 ---> reading these is like watching the last installment of godfather trilogy.
40 ---> it hurts. badly.

number8
03-05-2009, 04:18 PM
I think I've finally figured out my aversion to anime shows. It took reading the Welcome to NHK manga and remembering you guys raving about the anime for me to figure it out.

Most popular anime shows are based on manga, right? If they're straight adaptations, I think I'm just more inclined to read than to watch. Unfortunately, most of them are straight adaptations, and I don't like that. The reason I love cartoons like Batman: TAS and Justice League is that they're not--they create original stories, original timelines, they even reshape the characters to be different from their comic book counterparts. I like being able to differentiate. It annoys me when I watch an anime and a certain scene is toned down or handled not as well as they did in the manga.

I think about the two anime shows I love: Paranoia Agent and Cowboy Bebop. Both original creations. Whenever I hear about a certain acclaimed show, my first instinct is to seek out the manga it's based on. Then after I've read it, I would lose interest in seeing the adaptation. Case in point: GTO. I have the entire manga series collected. I have never and don't think I'll ever watch the anime. Same with Berserk, Dragon Ball Z, Monster, etc.

Thirdmango
03-05-2009, 04:33 PM
I guess I can see that for things like DC comics where there are so many different versions of the same characters. But I don't know if I can see it for comics which follow one path. Watching filler episodes of anime is really hard because they're just so awful, they stray from the content already created and there is little to no growth. The problem is we're in an age where that can't really happen anymore. We can't have someone create something original and then have multiple differing versions of those original characters done by other people into something good. JSA, Batman, those can work because they've been around for so long. I don't think it's possible for anime to be able to take current characters and create something new. It either has to be straight from the comic or an original work.

Sycophant
03-05-2009, 04:36 PM
I've read a few things saying that Welcome to the NHK actually underwent several changes to its plot points, mostly minor. However, since people "read it first," they, as people always do when they first read something in prose or in comic, held it against the series for changing anything at all. While I haven't read the manga, I thought it used its medium as television anime very well.

Some of my favorite shows, such as Azumanga Daioh, are practically recreations of the manga. Interestingly, my favorite AD episode is one that contains no material from the comic strip, but was written entirely for the show.

lovejuice
03-05-2009, 04:37 PM
I think I've finally figured out my aversion to anime shows...Most popular anime shows are based on manga, right? If they're straight adaptations, I think I'm just more inclined to read than to watch. Unfortunately, most of them are straight adaptations, and I don't like that.

if there's a choice, i too prefer manga to anime. but then there exist many good shows that are not manga-based (as you mentioned). and then there are shows like trigun which are significantly different from its manga counterpart. moreover if i really like the manga, it feels fresh to "read" the story again in a different format, Rurouni Kenshin for example. (RK is a curious example because the anime actually sucks when it tries to build its own story arch.)

so i agree with you that manga's preferable to anime, but i don't think that's enough reason for "aversion" to the medium.

number8
03-05-2009, 04:40 PM
I guess I can see that for things like DC comics where there are so many different versions of the same characters. But I don't know if I can see it for comics which follow one path. Watching filler episodes of anime is really hard because they're just so awful, they stray from the content already created and there is little to no growth. The problem is we're in an age where that can't really happen anymore. We can't have someone create something original and then have multiple differing versions of those original characters done by other people into something good. JSA, Batman, those can work because they've been around for so long. I don't think it's possible for anime to be able to take current characters and create something new. It either has to be straight from the comic or an original work.

Well, I agree with this, and that's not what I'd rather see. What I'm saying is that since this is the case, I'd rather read the original manga, and that means my anime watching is really limited.

Sycophant
03-05-2009, 04:44 PM
I actually generally have a policy of avoiding the novel or comic form of any television or film projects. I'll go back and explore those later, but I find I want my viewing... untainted?

Not that I think there's anything wrong with the way number8's doing things or anything; just ain't my way.

number8
03-05-2009, 04:48 PM
I actually generally have a policy of avoiding the novel or comic form of any television or film projects. I'll go back and explore those later, but I find I want my viewing... untainted?

Not that I think there's anything wrong with the way number8's doing things or anything; just ain't my way.

That would probably be ideal, since you can watch it to get the experience and then read the source material to get a fuller scope. I could just do that, but I dunno... Maybe I just have to admit to myself that I consider comics a superior medium to film.

Qrazy
03-05-2009, 04:48 PM
I think I've finally figured out my aversion to anime shows. It took reading the Welcome to NHK manga and remembering you guys raving about the anime for me to figure it out.

Most popular anime shows are based on manga, right? If they're straight adaptations, I think I'm just more inclined to read than to watch. Unfortunately, most of them are straight adaptations, and I don't like that. The reason I love cartoons like Batman: TAS and Justice League is that they're not--they create original stories, original timelines, they even reshape the characters to be different from their comic book counterparts. I like being able to differentiate. It annoys me when I watch an anime and a certain scene is toned down or handled not as well as they did in the manga.

I think about the two anime shows I love: Paranoia Agent and Cowboy Bebop. Both original creations. Whenever I hear about a certain acclaimed show, my first instinct is to seek out the manga it's based on. Then after I've read it, I would lose interest in seeing the adaptation. Case in point: GTO. I have the entire manga series collected. I have never and don't think I'll ever watch the anime. Same with Berserk, Dragon Ball Z, Monster, etc.

That's pretty reasonable. Once I moved to the Naruto manga I now have no interest in watching the horribly paced show. In general though I prefer the anime to the manga so I'd rather watch the anime first then read the manga. But I usually only read the manga if there's content I'm missing... i.e. the show didn't continue long enough or isn't there yet... for that reason I'll probably read Berserk eventually since the anime ending sucked horribly.

lovejuice
03-05-2009, 05:06 PM
That's pretty reasonable. Once I moved to the Naruto manga I now have no interest in watching the horribly paced show.

speaking of which, i have gone through the onemanga archive. that's really crazy. i feel bad for pain, since i guess kichimoto's about to kill him off. what a cool villain!

Qrazy
03-05-2009, 05:28 PM
speaking of which, i have gone through the onemanga archive. that's really crazy. i feel bad for pain, since i guess kichimoto's about to kill him off. what a cool villain!

I don't know, Orochimaru got away so many times, it's possible Pain will escape to fight another day. I'm very interested to see what's finally going to happen with Madara and the split personalities guy and the Raikage. Also it's interesting that Akatsuki's big plan is basically the plan from Watchmen

lovejuice
03-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I don't know, Orochimaru got away so many times, it's possible Pain will escape to fight another day. I'm very interested to see what's finally going to happen with Madara and the split personalities guy and the Raikage. Also it's interesting that Akatsuki's big plan is basically the plan from Watchmen
i like the eight-tailed beast, but raikage annoys me a little. yeah, there are still a few more akatsuki's guys to root for, but funny enough, madara is the one i like least.

Qrazy
03-05-2009, 06:36 PM
i like the eight-tailed beast, but raikage annoys me a little. yeah, there are still a few more akatsuki's guys to root for, but funny enough, madara is the one i like least.

Right but it's not really about liking them for me we just haven't seen his real power yet and for all intents and purposes he's supposed to be one of the most powerful ninjas who has ever lived. In an earlier episode it looked like Pain was taking orders from him.

Sycophant
03-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Watched the third episode of Serei no Moribito. Very good stuff so far.

Skitch
03-17-2009, 06:09 PM
I bought the remastered set of Berserk today for half price brand new...$15. Sold my old set for a steal ($10) to a friend. Good day.

Qrazy
03-18-2009, 12:31 AM
Watched the third episode of Serei no Moribito. Very good stuff so far.

When I first heard the opening song I thought to myself... retarded... but it grew on me (the opening song). The rest of the show is just good stuff with only a couple of lulls.

Qrazy
03-31-2009, 01:19 AM
Syc how are your viewings coming along?

Lovejuice are you caught up on Naruto?

Sycophant
03-31-2009, 01:26 AM
Still on Seirei--hadn't watched an episode in like a week but got through episode 7 last night. I really like the show, but unlike most shows, I'm not feeling as compelled to marathon it and finish the whole thing in a week. Its pacing is conducive to a more relaxed viewing schedule, though it never ceases to be intriguing.

I'm very interested to see where this is going, since it has evaded my initial impression that it was going to be a traveling show like Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo. I'm especially curious about all the characters the show continues to focus on that I'd expected to be discarded or at least backseated.

lovejuice
03-31-2009, 06:04 AM
Lovejuice are you caught up on Naruto?
yes, poor pain is on his last leg, methink. :cry:

Sycophant
04-02-2009, 12:26 AM
I've had the Seirei theme song stuck in my head all day.

It's not obnoxious or anything. I like it more than I did initially, but I don't love it. It does, however, work really well with the opening visuals.

Qrazy
04-02-2009, 12:50 AM
I've had the Seirei theme song stuck in my head all day.

It's not obnoxious or anything. I like it more than I did initially, but I don't love it. It does, however, work really well with the opening visuals.

This is the twooooof fwummm maaaa haaaaarttt!!!

Qrazy
04-02-2009, 12:51 AM
yes, poor pain is on his last leg, methink. :cry:

Seems like it... I wonder if Madara will come and do him in before Naruto can talk him down or something.

Qrazy
04-02-2009, 12:52 AM
Still on Seirei--hadn't watched an episode in like a week but got through episode 7 last night. I really like the show, but unlike most shows, I'm not feeling as compelled to marathon it and finish the whole thing in a week. Its pacing is conducive to a more relaxed viewing schedule, though it never ceases to be intriguing.

I'm very interested to see where this is going, since it has evaded my initial impression that it was going to be a traveling show like Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo. I'm especially curious about all the characters the show continues to focus on that I'd expected to be discarded or at least backseated.

Don't you love the spirit world? So cool.

Skitch
04-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Watched first two seasons of Baki The Grappler. Not bad, not great.

lovejuice
04-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Seems like it... I wonder if Madara will come and do him in before Naruto can talk him down or something.
call me crazy, but if anything i expect madara to come in pain's aid.
one thing that i find unique and really like about akatsuki is this feeling of fraternity. i won't go so far as call it teamwork spirit or sympathy. (they are bad guys after all.) but you can sense, amid the bickering, rivalry and back-stabbing, they all respect each other as the 9/10 most powerful ninjas. that actually puts the comic slightly better than average male mangas in my book.

Qrazy
04-02-2009, 07:20 PM
call me crazy, but if anything i expect madara to come in pain's aid.
one thing that i find unique and really like about akatsuki is this feeling of fraternity. i won't go so far as call it teamwork spirit or sympathy. (they are bad guys after all.) but you can sense, amid the bickering, rivalry and back-stabbing, they all respect each other as the 9/10 most powerful ninjas. that actually puts the comic slightly better than average male mangas in my book.

Well it was suggested that Madara was just manipulating Pain. I see this as being one of those 'you've outlived your usefulness' situations if Naruto is able to convince Pain that he's being tricked. All of this is assuming Madara shows up, he may well not.

Sycophant
04-11-2009, 03:24 AM
I'm 19 episodes in and will probably finish Seirei no moribito over the weekend. One thing I really, really like about the show is that while the characters are working at cross purposes (or at least utilizing conflicting means), there is not a villain or even a "bad" person among them.

Sycophant
04-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Hey, I finished Seirei! That was really great! Definitely had a Princess Mononoke vibe to it. I love how sincerely anti-violence and pro-cooperation, pro-humanity, pro-environment it is.

Last couple episodes got me all teared up.

[ETM]
04-11-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm somewhat out of the loop so I need recommendations: is there anything that came out these past few years that's worth my time? I'm thinking good sci-fi, with real concepts, like Ergo Proxy. I also enjoyed other genres when the animation or the concept is fresh enough, like Champloo for period samurai anime etc. Fantasy is good too. Steampunk... Seirei looks nice from the previews but I'll have to check out some more to get the feel. Right now I'm not enjoying character animation, though "Mononoke feel" certainly is a positive sign in my book.

I appreciate any insight.:)

Qrazy
04-11-2009, 09:33 PM
;151568']I'm somewhat out of the loop so I need recommendations: is there anything that came out these past few years that's worth my time? I'm thinking good sci-fi, with real concepts, like Ergo Proxy. I also enjoyed other genres when the animation or the concept is fresh enough, like Champloo for period samurai anime etc. Fantasy is good too. Steampunk... Seirei looks nice from the previews but I'll have to check out some more to get the feel. Right now I'm not enjoying character animation, though "Mononoke feel" certainly is a positive sign in my book.

I appreciate any insight.:)

None of these really fit your desires perfectly but they're all worth checking out.

# Seirei No Moribito
# Paranoia Agent
# Mushishi
# Death Note
# Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
# Code Geass
# Now and Then, Here and There
# Kaiba
# Kemonozume

[ETM]
04-11-2009, 09:41 PM
None of these really fit your desires perfectly but they're all worth checking out.

# Seirei No Moribito
# Paranoia Agent
# Mushishi
# Death Note
# Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
# Code Geass
# Kaiba
# Kemonozume

Thanks for taking the time, Qrazy. I've had Paranoia Agent on my "to see" list for ages, perhaps it's time to give it a go. From what I've seen, Death Note, Code Geass and Now and Then... (was thinking of different show) all seem to be outside of my field of interest. I will do research on the rest now and report back.

Qrazy
04-11-2009, 09:46 PM
;151600']Thanks for taking the time, Qrazy. I've had Paranoia Agent on my "to see" list for ages, perhaps it's time to give it a go. From what I've seen, Death Note, Code Geass and Now and Then... (was thinking of different show) all seem to be outside of my field of interest. I will do research on the rest now and report back.

I assume you've seen Last Exile in terms of steampunk?

[ETM]
04-11-2009, 10:09 PM
I assume you've seen Last Exile in terms of steampunk?

One of my favorites.

Okay, so:

# Seirei No Moribito
# Paranoia Agent
# Mushishi

Should be enough to keep me occupied. Thanks again.
Other recommendations are most welcome, too.

Qrazy
04-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Hey, I finished Seirei! That was really great! Definitely had a Princess Mononoke vibe to it. I love how sincerely anti-violence and pro-cooperation, pro-humanity, pro-environment it is.

Nice! Where are you headed next? I might watch Record of Lodoss War next (want some fantasy) or Boogiepop Phantom.

Sycophant
04-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Nice! Where are you headed next? I might watch Record of Lodoss War next (want some fantasy) or Boogiepop Phantom.

Not sure which anime I'll tackle next since I've got Battlestar Galactica that I'll be starting up tomorrow. It'll probably be either Now and Then, Here and There or Ergo Proxy.

D_Davis
04-12-2009, 03:08 PM

Just dl'ed this.

Looking forward to it.

D_Davis
04-12-2009, 03:17 PM
I've heard some good things about the new Casshern series - anyone see that yet? I'll probably dl it later.

Just browsing Mininova, I was a torrent for the entire run of DBZ - episodes 1 - 276. I almost want to snag this just because. 276 episodes of something, that's crazy.

Qrazy
04-12-2009, 04:19 PM
I've heard some good things about the new Casshern series - anyone see that yet? I'll probably dl it later.

Just browsing Mininova, I was a torrent for the entire run of DBZ - episodes 1 - 276. I almost want to snag this just because. 276 episodes of something, that's crazy.

I watched the first few minutes of the first new Casshern ep. It didn't really catch my interest but maybe I'll try again.

D_Davis
04-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Anyone here ever watch S.CRY.ED?

I saw it a few years ago, and I totally loved it. One of my favorites. I really liked the characters, and the action was fantastic.

Ezee E
04-12-2009, 06:55 PM
You guys think I'd like Paranoia Agent? I don't watch too much anime.

Qrazy
04-12-2009, 07:02 PM
You guys think I'd like Paranoia Agent? I don't watch too much anime.

If you liked Paprika then most likely. However you really have to approach the show on a dream-state, metaphoric, ambiguous level for most of it's runtime. It all makes sense in the end but it's literally not until the final episode that the pieces fall into place.

lovejuice
04-20-2009, 05:59 PM
damn you, qrazy. since you introduced me to onemanga, i have been spending too much time on it.

Qrazy
04-20-2009, 06:17 PM
damn you, qrazy. since you introduced me to onemanga, i have been spending too much time on it.

Hahaha I think I'm going to read Berserk at some point since the show died such a premature death.

lovejuice
04-24-2009, 04:19 PM
watching gurren lagann. very pleasing. just like evangeline deconstructing the mecha genre, GL does the same thing but with more humor.

Qrazy
04-27-2009, 11:29 PM
watching gurren lagann. very pleasing. just like evangeline deconstructing the mecha genre, GL does the same thing but with more humor.

Yeah, personally I like it more than Evangelion.

lovejuice
04-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Yeah, personally I like it more than Evangelion.
at this point me too. but i'm worry about what lie ahead. gainax, imo, can be very creative in destroying a perfectly awesome series with a perfectly awful last act.

Sycophant
04-28-2009, 12:45 AM
The final stretch of episodes of His & Her Circumstances (hereby relevant because we are discussing the ending of GAINAX series) hurt me a lot. But that was kind of beyond GAINAX's control, since the author of the source material was putting her foot down and not letting Hideaki Anno do what he wanted to.

Show was pretty brilliant up to episode 18 or so.

Winston*
04-28-2009, 12:46 AM
I started watching this series Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. It's like The Count of Monte Cristo except set in the future and the Count is a vampire from The Moon. I can't pass on a high concept like that.

Qrazy
04-28-2009, 01:29 AM
at this point me too. but i'm worry about what lie ahead. gainax, imo, can be very creative in destroying a perfectly awesome series with a perfectly awful last act.

The last act is amazing. I love it.

EyesWideOpen
04-28-2009, 01:30 AM
I started watching this series Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. It's like The Count of Monte Cristo except set in the future and the Count is a vampire from The Moon. I can't pass on a high concept like that.

I loved it. Probably one of my three favorite anime series.

Winston*
04-28-2009, 01:37 AM
I loved it. Probably one of my three favorite anime series.

One thing I really don't like about it is the style where they blue screen the costumes and then overlay it with a pattern. I find it to be ugly and distracting.

Qrazy
04-28-2009, 03:05 AM
Hrm well after being disappointed with the first ep of Record of Lodoss War perhaps I'll check out Count instead... right after I finish Outlaw Star.

lovejuice
04-28-2009, 04:04 AM
right after I finish Outlaw Star.
i want to know what you think about it. i find it a stupid show that turns out the be better than it has a right to.

EyesWideOpen
04-28-2009, 12:36 PM
One thing I really don't like about it is the style where they blue screen the costumes and then overlay it with a pattern. I find it to be ugly and distracting.

And that was what got me watching in the first place. I loved the costume style.

Qrazy
04-28-2009, 02:51 PM
i want to know what you think about it. i find it a stupid show that turns out the be better than it has a right to.

I like it a lot. I'm not going to say it's great or anything. But it has humor, quality action, strong characters, and some great art design (many of the space and cityscape shots are wonderful). At first I thought a few of the show's stylistic tics would annoy me (gunshot transitions) but at this point I can't say I mind them. The show gets perhaps slightly too indulgent every once in a while (grappler arms, etc) but that's also part of it's charm. Ultimately it's just a lot of fun. Plus I love Space Westerns.

D_Davis
04-28-2009, 02:55 PM

Oh Japan.

lovejuice
04-28-2009, 03:38 PM
I like it a lot. I'm not going to say it's great or anything. But it has humor, quality action, strong characters, and some great art design (many of the space and cityscape shots are wonderful). At first I thought a few of the show's stylistic tics would annoy me (gunshot transitions) but at this point I can't say I mind them. The show gets perhaps slightly too indulgent every once in a while (grappler arms, etc) but that's also part of it's charm. Ultimately it's just a lot of fun. Plus I love Space Westerns.
the show really rises above its demographic group -- those dbz crowd. some episodes are just amazing, in fact way too amazing they don't belong to the rest of the show -- i'm thinking of "The Seven Emerge" and "Cats and Girls and Spaceships". some bad guys are too well written like those el dorado brothers. so in short, i think it's a mediocre show that occasionally surprises me in a good way.

Qrazy
04-28-2009, 09:04 PM
the show really rises above its demographic group -- those dbz crowd. some episodes are just amazing, in fact way too amazing they don't belong to the rest of the show -- i'm thinking of "The Seven Emerge" and "Cats and Girls and Spaceships". some bad guys are too well written like those el dorado brothers. so in short, i think it's a mediocre show that occasionally surprises me in a good way.

Just finished it. I really liked it. I don't think it's demographic is the DBZ crowd. It's more the Cowboy Bebop and Trigun crowd. While the show may not be on that level, it's a worthy entry into the space western genre. I may check out Gun X Sword soon in order to see another space western.

Skitch
04-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Anyone seen the Xenosaga anime?

Qrazy
04-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Three episodes into Boogiepop Phantom... Hey it's a bit like Serial Experiments Lain! And I hate it equally! I guess I'll finish it because it's short but gerbleargflargmorp.

lovejuice
04-29-2009, 05:38 PM
how's samurai 7, anyone?

Sycophant
04-29-2009, 05:40 PM
how's samurai 7, anyone?

I couldn't make it past episode 8. It was just too stupid.

Qrazy
04-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Ah bummer I was kind of interested in checking it out.

Sycophant
04-29-2009, 06:10 PM
It was a show I was gonna watch all the way through anyway, because the reaction had been so positive throughout the Internet. Figured I'd struggle through, so at least I could have a cogent argument to defend my position. Then one day, as I entered my apartment, I realized I'd rather hang myself than watch another episode, so I bailed on it and watched Paranoia Agent again instead.

Thirdmango
04-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Samurai 7 is the worst drivel of anime I've ever tried to watch. I got a little further then Sycophant but not too much. I think I made it to 12 cause I wanted to see if it was going to go anywhere, but it just wasn't. And as a friend of a friend who is a really weird fellow once said to me, "Oh I love Samurai 7, cause it's Seven Samurai with Mecha!"

Also The episode Sycophant ended on changed animators for a day for some odd reason and it's really really BAD art.

D_Davis
04-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Three episodes into Boogiepop Phantom... Hey it's a bit like Serial Experiments Lain! And I hate it equally! I guess I'll finish it because it's short but gerbleargflargmorp.

A more wrong opinion cannot be uttered.

Two of my all-time favorites.

D_Davis
04-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Anyone seen the 6 OVAs for All-purpose cross-cultural super cat girl Nuku-Nuku?

Fun stuff, especially for fans of Project A-Ko.

Qrazy
04-29-2009, 09:31 PM
A more wrong opinion cannot be uttered.

Two of my all-time favorites.

Can't stand them. In this case not sure if it's worth having a discussion/argument about though. Perhaps we should just leave it an agree to disagree.

lovejuice
04-29-2009, 09:38 PM
that's awesome! about how awful samurai 7 is. now i feel like watching a couple of episodes just to piss myself off.

Sycophant
04-29-2009, 09:41 PM
I remember liking Boogiepop Phantom and being too tired to form an opinion on LAIN. I need to watch both again, because there's really nothing I can say about them beyond that.

D_Davis
04-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Can't stand them. In this case not sure if it's worth having a discussion/argument about though. Perhaps we should just leave it an agree to disagree.

Agree.

I wouldn't defend them anyhow.

Skitch
04-29-2009, 11:51 PM
how's samurai 7, anyone?

Don't listen to 'em. It's fucking great.

Qrazy
04-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Don't listen to 'em. It's fucking great.

What's your av from? Akira?

Sycophant
04-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Do we have any other appreciators of Azumanga Daioh on this forum? I'm getting a hankering to watch it again.

Thirdmango
04-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Though Diaoh is loved among our friends, I have not yet given it a chance. Besides the first episode which almost killed me by how strong it was.

Sycophant
04-30-2009, 01:00 AM
Bathe in pink sugar water with puppies every night for a month, eat cupcakes all the damned time, and sing along to happy love songs from morning to night, and then maybe you'll be man enough to take it.

Skitch
04-30-2009, 10:56 AM
What's your av from? Akira?

Yes. Sort of. I like to make av's of Akira fan art.

Qrazy
05-01-2009, 04:52 AM
Finished Boogiepop Phantom. By far the worst anime I've ever seen. I mean I'm sure there are worse but holy crap I can't think of a single thing to like about this. Every character is bland, inconsequential and practically irrelevant. The color palette is drab. The animation is poor. The structure is terrible (insert next scene title card here). The philosophical musings are hollow. All the pieces fit the plot together by the end but at that point does it even matter?

I guess I liked the opening title sequence but that's about it.

lovejuice
05-01-2009, 05:29 PM
guess this thread has to serve as a manga thread as well. anyone read eye shield 21? i'm really curious as an american, what you think. do you go omgloljapsaresocrazy!

Qrazy
05-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Halfway through GunXSword. It's getting pretty damn good. The first six episodes or so borrowed heavily from The Road Warrior, Leon The Professional, Pulp Fiction, etc but around the seventh the show begins to find it's stride. It was good before, just slightly derivative. Essentially Kill Bill with Mecha (sort of), the story focuses on Van, a man whose bride was killed (I think on his wedding day) by the clawed man. Van wanders from town to town, meeting new friends, on his journey to find and kill the clawed man. I'd heard the show was supposed to be a space western but so far it's really more of a western... maybe they'll go into space in the second half... because space is involved just not overly so, so far.

[ETM]
05-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Halfway through GunXSword.

Heh, I just watched the trailer on youtube. Did I just see soldiers with bionic moustache? Because that is all kinds of crazy awesome.

Qrazy
05-03-2009, 07:05 PM
;158690']Heh, I just watched the trailer on youtube. Did I just see soldiers with bionic moustache? Because that is all kinds of crazy awesome.

Haha yes, yes you did, and it was.

Sycophant
05-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Halfway through GunXSword.

I am going to watch this for two reasons. First, because you are speaking of it positively. Second--and most importantly--because it's called GunXSword.

[ETM]
05-03-2009, 09:18 PM
I am going to watch this for two reasons. First, because you are speaking of it positively. Second--and most importantly--because it's called GunXSword.

The mustache sold it to me. Gotta love mustache fighting. You have to see the trailer.

Sycophant
05-03-2009, 09:24 PM
;158725']The mustache sold it to me. Gotta love mustache fighting. You have to see the trailer.

[ETM], that trailer was limp and pretty mcuh unwatchable and the mustache fighting wasn't quite enough of a payoff. I am now less likely to watch this show.

[ETM]
05-03-2009, 09:25 PM
You do not deserve it.

Sycophant
05-03-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm glad.

[ETM]
05-03-2009, 09:52 PM
I'm glad.

:pritch:

Nothing, I just love the smiley.

lovejuice
05-04-2009, 12:43 AM
GunXSword...space western
now, this is becoming established anime genre. ten years ago, my friend and i came up with this idea that we should "produce" a final fantasy like anime setting in a wild west. it was such an innovative idea back then. too bad, we can't really do anything about it.

D_Davis
05-04-2009, 01:13 AM
;158690']Heh, I just watched the trailer on youtube. Did I just see soldiers with bionic moustache? Because that is all kinds of crazy awesome.

Have you seen Bobo Bobobo Bobo?

It's about a guy who uses his long, prehensile nose hairs to fight an evil empire that has declared hair illegal.

[ETM]
05-04-2009, 01:46 AM
Too much is too much.

Qrazy
05-04-2009, 02:12 AM

*watches trailer*

Ah yeah that trailer isn't that well put together. The anime is fairly solid though.

Qrazy
05-05-2009, 12:45 AM
Just finished GunXSword, pretty standard mecha doomsday save the world scenario... but also pretty Awesome standard mecha doomsday save the world scenario!

EvilShoe
05-26-2009, 06:42 PM
I hate to say it, but Mushi-shi isn't really doing it for me.
Love the visuals, but I'm not a fan of its episodic nature.

Not quite series, but I recently saw both Vampire Hunter D movies. The first is rather infantile, but the newer one looks downright gorgeous.

lovejuice
05-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Not quite series, but I recently saw both Vampire Hunter D movies. The first is rather infantile, but the newer one looks downright gorgeous.
i love that second movie. yoshitaka amano is the man.

Qrazy
05-27-2009, 05:46 AM

Fair enough. I also really love the atmosphere.

Agreed.

Sycophant
05-27-2009, 05:10 PM
i love that second movie. yoshitaka amano is the man.

I didn't know Amano did the designs for Vampire Hunter D. Interest +5.

D_Davis
05-27-2009, 05:45 PM
The first Vampire Hunter D is fantastic. While the animation is dated and quite limited, it has some of the thickest, most tangible atmosphere I've ever seen in an anime. And the narrative is very cool.

Part 2 was okay. Although the animation is much better, it is quite beautiful, the story did nothing for me, and the narrative feels too episodic. It's got some amazing parts, but as a whole it fails when compared to the original.

D_Davis
05-27-2009, 05:45 PM

I love its atmosphere. Otomo's live action film is also pretty good. It's glacially paced, but it is thoughtful.

EvilShoe
05-27-2009, 09:43 PM
The first Vampire Hunter D is fantastic. While the animation is dated and quite limited, it has some of the thickest, most tangible atmosphere I've ever seen in an anime. And the narrative is very cool.

Part 2 was okay. Although the animation is much better, it is quite beautiful, the story did nothing for me, and the narrative feels too episodic. It's got some amazing parts, but as a whole it fails when compared to the original.
Hm, I'm the opposite... I thought the first Vampire Hunter D felt like it was written by a 13-year old.

The script of the second isn't perfect, but I thought it was a definite improvement.

As for Mushi-shi... its first 8 or so eps really worked for me, but after a while I grew bored of it. I'm a fan of serialized TV, I can't help it.

Sycophant
05-28-2009, 03:51 AM
What's a good post-apocalyptic anime?

Qrazy
05-28-2009, 06:00 AM

Now and Then, Here and There

Haven't seen, heard good things:

Darker than Black
The Third
Scrapped Princess
The One Being Sung
Gilgamesh

D_Davis
05-28-2009, 12:52 PM

Scryed is awesome, and for cheesy fun you can't go wrong with Fist of the North Star.

Thirdmango
05-28-2009, 09:23 PM
How is Eureka 7 overall? Worth watching?

lovejuice
05-29-2009, 06:27 AM
Qrazy, what do you think of the end of pain in naruto?

at least he exits a dignified way. but over all i feel like i have more causes to complain than appreciate. for one, so conan will never have a chance to kick ass? and i really hate it when characters in manga seem to never die unless he's some sorta old sage.

Qrazy
05-29-2009, 06:31 AM
Qrazy, what do you think of the end of pain in naruto?

at least he exits a dignified way. but over all i feel like i have more causes to complain than appreciate. for one, so conan will never have a chance to kick ass? and i really hate it when characters in manga seem to never die unless he's some sorta old sage.

Conan? And yes all the character revivals were incredibly annoying. I also didn't really like the way and reason Pain trusted Naruto. Tying it to Jiraiya was good but... just have faith in peace? That's it? Sort of a cop out I find. I guess it was OK though, glad the Pain arc is over and we can move on to Sasuke and Madara. Hopefully they will be the last arc and another master ninja won't pop out of the woodwork.

lovejuice
05-29-2009, 06:37 AM
Conan? And yes all the character revivals were incredibly annoying. I also didn't really like the way and reason Pain trusted Naruto. Tying it to Jiraiya was good but... just have faith in peace? That's it? Sort of a cop out I find. I guess it was OK though, glad the Pain arc is over and we can move on to Sasuke and Madara. Hopefully they will be the last arc and another master ninja won't pop out of the woodwork.

konan, i mean. the paper chick. like her technique. i have never liked sasuke and co. they can't even "beat" the eight-tailed. how much chance do they get over the awesome nine-tailed? i hope, kisame and zetsu can insert some juice to the story.

Qrazy
05-29-2009, 06:40 AM
konan, i mean. the paper chick. like her technique. i have never liked sasuke and co. they can't even "beat" the eight-tailed. how much chance do they get over the awesome nine-tailed? i hope, kisame and zetsu can insert some juice to the story.

That's true, we still know very little about Zetsu. He could be awesome. And yeah I agree with you about Sasuke and co. Naruto is much more powerful than they are at this point.

Thirdmango
05-29-2009, 11:27 AM
That's true, we still know very little about Zetsu. He could be awesome. And yeah I agree with you about Sasuke and co. Naruto is much more powerful than they are at this point.

I have been very dissatisfied with the whole Naruto story lately. The last time I was enjoying it was during the Kakazu Hidan story. After that ir feels like the creator is just going through the motions. I thought the Pain story would be good but suddenly out of no where Naruto is super insanely powerful so much so that apparently he's so much better then Jariya. It feels like they just needed him to be the best instead of having him be the best near the end of the story. But then especially now with this Pain trusting in Naruto so that he can battle with Sasuke and have an even fight before the end Shippuden. Sigh. They are just under using so many characters that they made look so good and over using Naruto who hasn't been that great and suddenly is a God.

Skitch
05-29-2009, 12:50 PM
The 2nd Vampire Hunter D is one of my all time favorite animes. It's incredible.

Qrazy
05-29-2009, 06:14 PM
The 2nd Vampire Hunter D is one of my all time favorite animes. It's incredible.

Amen.

Qrazy
05-29-2009, 06:16 PM
I have been very dissatisfied with the whole Naruto story lately. The last time I was enjoying it was during the Kakazu Hidan story. After that ir feels like the creator is just going through the motions. I thought the Pain story would be good but suddenly out of no where Naruto is super insanely powerful so much so that apparently he's so much better then Jariya. It feels like they just needed him to be the best instead of having him be the best near the end of the story. But then especially now with this Pain trusting in Naruto so that he can battle with Sasuke and have an even fight before the end Shippuden. Sigh. They are just under using so many characters that they made look so good and over using Naruto who hasn't been that great and suddenly is a God.

Agreed. The pacing, arc handling and character balancing has been terrible for quite some time now. I do want to see what happens with Madara and Zetsu though.

lovejuice
05-29-2009, 06:22 PM

Kakazu/Hidan are ass-kicking villains, I agree. so is almost everyone in akatsuki.

I'm not going to say kishimoto's going with the motion as much as he has this obsession with naruto and sasuke. perhaps it's the crowd i hang out with, but i have never met one living person who like sasuke. (i'm pretty sure there is like an ocean of them.) kishimoto's a big fan of akira, and i think, he's kinda looking at sasuke as tetsuo and naruto as kaneda.

Qrazy
05-29-2009, 06:31 PM
I also miss the way at the beginning of the show and for quite a while winning battles was all about tricks and ninja strategy. Trying to figure out what your opponent was doing and out play them. It's only just barely like that anymore.

Sycophant
05-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Hey, thanks for the recs, guys. Mostly, they were for a friend of mine that is obsessed with post-apocalyptic settings, but I'll be looking into them myself.

Thirdmango
05-29-2009, 09:46 PM
I also miss the way at the beginning of the show and for quite a while winning battles was all about tricks and ninja strategy. Trying to figure out what your opponent was doing and out play them. It's only just barely like that anymore.

I agree with this. I'm also sad they've lost sight of using the secondary characters. My favorite moments of the series were when the secondary characters played prominent roles. The testing fights, chasing after Sasuke in the bin and the resulting fights. Even Sakura vs. Puppet Master. But after this battle it seems like all the secondary characters have less of a point.

lovejuice
05-29-2009, 10:02 PM
I agree with this. I'm also sad they've lost sight of using the secondary characters. My favorite moments of the series were when the secondary characters played prominent roles. The testing fights, chasing after Sasuke in the bin and the resulting fights. Even Sakura vs. Puppet Master. But after this battle it seems like all the secondary characters have less of a point.

i LOVE sakura vs. sasori. sasori is my favorite and sadly the first akatsuki to go. the supporting characters really do this series a lot of good. even in pain story-line, the best's actually before naruto shows up. and i'll personally write kishimoto a hate mail if the series end before shino -- the insect guy -- does some ass kicking.

lovejuice
06-03-2009, 04:42 AM
let's just say, if i don't care for cowboy bebop, is there a chance that i will like samurai champloo? is it a blind buy? i did watch the first few episodes and think the show very promising.

Qrazy
06-03-2009, 04:43 AM
let's just say, if i don't care for cowboy bebop, is there a chance that i will like samurai champloo? is it a blind buy? i did watch the first few episodes and think the show very promising.

There's a chance but I kind of doubt it. I'd just watch the show online if I were you.

EvilShoe
06-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Black Lagoon is fairly enjoyable so far.
Only two episodes in, so I'm not sure if it stays that way.

Qrazy
06-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Black Lagoon is fairly enjoyable so far.
Only two episodes in, so I'm not sure if it stays that way.

Yeah it does, it gets better actually.

[ETM]
06-04-2009, 03:26 PM

I've had it for ages now, gotta find time to see it.

Qrazy
06-04-2009, 03:33 PM
;170434']I've had it for ages now, gotta find time to see it.

Well just to be clear I don't think it's great but it does get better as it goes along. Still I enjoyed it well enough and the second barrage slightly more.

Sycophant
06-04-2009, 03:36 PM

I'd discourage a blind buy, unless you've got cash to burn or a great deal, but if you found promise in the first few episodes, you should definitely give the entirety a shot.

I think Cowboy Bebop is the better of the two series, but they both have their individual strengths and appeals.

EvilShoe
06-04-2009, 04:06 PM
That's good to hear. Seemed like it could go either direction.

Qrazy
06-04-2009, 04:10 PM
That's good to hear. Seemed like it could go either direction.

There's a scene with Revy in episode 5 that is very revealing and powerful.

EyesWideOpen
06-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Just finished up with disc 8 of Death Note so I've only gone 1 left to go. Just saw on netflix that theres a new Death Note disc coming out in a few weeks called Death Note: Re-Light Visions of a God which looks interesting.

lovejuice
06-06-2009, 05:44 AM
i am on the last two diskes of gurren lagann. extremely enjoy it right now.

Qrazy
06-06-2009, 04:19 PM
i am on the last two diskes of gurren lagann. extremely enjoy it right now.

The end is damn good man. The beginning of the last episode is my favorite moment in the series.

lovejuice
06-08-2009, 03:22 PM
finish gurren lagann. the show is mighty awesome. one minor complain though.

not sure how i take nia's "death." the downbeat ending is rather not in tune with the over-optimistic feeling of the show. it's as much gainaxy as i can take it.

Qrazy
06-08-2009, 03:53 PM
finish gurren lagann. the show is mighty awesome. one minor complain though.

not sure how i take nia's "death." the downbeat ending is rather not in tune with the over-optimistic feeling of the show. it's as much gainaxy as i can take it.

I thought the show was definitely about loss and having to learn to deal with that and carry on in spite of it all. I like how death is real and permanent in the show. First Simon's brother, then the spiral king and finally Nia. The show is overly energetic and optimistic about the power of giving it your all but I think it's also about how you can give it your all and still suffer and experience loss.

Watashi
06-10-2009, 06:19 AM
What are people's thoughts on the Cowboy Bebop movie?

I went on a huge Cowboy Bebop tear this past week rewatching the entire series and capped it off with the movie (which I only saw years ago before I got into the show). It's not up to the series best, but I don't see why many fans were disappointed by it despite feeling like an overlong episode. I'd probably say it's a lot like Serenity was to Firefly.

Sycophant
06-10-2009, 07:06 AM
When I rewatch Cowboy Bebop, I like to stick the movie in where it fits chronologically. I think it's a fine film, and a pretty good episode. Some great music (true of the show as a whole, but some of my favorite of Kanno's work is on the film's soundtrack).

Winston*
06-10-2009, 07:19 AM
I didn't like it much. If they'd come up with a plot that warranted movie length treatment then okay, but the Cowboy Bebop series could've got through that plot in 23 minutes or whatever.

Finished Gankutsuo: The Count of Monte Christo. Good stuff, enjoyed it. Fun to imagine what the pitch meeting might've been like.

"It's an adaptation of Dumas' The Count of Monte Christo set in the future where everyone where insanely patterned clothing and somehow the aristocracy has been reestablished in France. Also, the count is a demon from outer space. Also, there are mechas."

Qrazy
06-10-2009, 10:54 PM
After re-watching the opening of Metropolis (Rintaro) on youtube I've decided to rewatch the film. I love the atmosphere of that one.

EvilShoe
06-10-2009, 10:59 PM
After re-watching the opening of Metropolis (Rintaro) on youtube I've decided to rewatch the film. I love the atmosphere of that one.
I really should watch it again as welll. Gorgeous movie.

You were right about Black Lagoon, by the way. Second season is a lot of fun, and superior to the first: better storylines, better villains, better action sequences. Especially liked the arc with the "vampire" kids and the final one.

Kind of ironic the show got better once they started leaving the boat more often.

Qrazy
06-11-2009, 02:06 PM
I really should watch it again as welll. Gorgeous movie.

You were right about Black Lagoon, by the way. Second season is a lot of fun, and superior to the first: better storylines, better villains, better action sequences. Especially liked the arc with the "vampire" kids and the final one.

Kind of ironic the show got better once they started leaving the boat more often.

Yeah much of the action is quite an improvement, I'm kind of thinking they probably had a bigger budget for the second barrage. By the by I really love the closing credit sequence both for the music and the atmosphere.

D_Davis
06-11-2009, 03:17 PM
I would have rather seen a Bebop movie made out of the Ballad of Fallen Angels story.

EvilShoe
06-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Yeah much of the action is quite an improvement, I'm kind of thinking they probably had a bigger budget for the second barrage. By the by I really love the closing credit sequence both for the music and the atmosphere.
I did too, the music really reminds me of Adagio For Strings.

Sxottlan
06-17-2009, 09:08 AM
What started out as an awkward combination of Eureka Seven and Death Note, Code Geass developed into something really rather spectacular.

Two seasons of twisting military and then political machinations as Lelouche turns Zero from terrorist to politician (no surprise: that's not much of a stretch), the show exhibits all the characteristics of stereotypical anime, including humanoid battle suits and the fetishistic obsession with new models and upgrades.

Some of those tropes are a bit difficult to get through at first (the major players are again mostly teens) and it didn't help that C2 looked pretty much like another Eureka, right down to the green hair.

Tension was always sustained throughout the series as Lelouche tries to lead Japanese rebels against Britannia while being in line to the throne and trying to keep that from his own soldiers. When it's finally revealed, it's almost offhandedly and all the more startling in its betrayal. Shocking too are the deaths of those around Lelouche in his quest that is strangely both selfish and selfless (part of it is done out of love for his sister).

Only one major twist ever came across as contrived. Otherwise, each move felt natural and while there were occasional silly episodes, they still came down to Lelouche's ability to see the battlefield and all the players involved, whether outrunning love-struck girls or battalions of enemy soldiers.

The scope of the show only grows and grows, engulfing the Chinese Federation, taking Lelouche's indignant and admittedly child-like fury at being ignored by his father to the world stage.

In the final batch of episodes, the show takes one last turn in a strange direction:

While Lelouche appears to be completely reneging on his promises, we feel more is going on and sure enough, there is. While one thinks he could use his power to make everyone get along, one also realizes it would still be enforced peace and not something real. Only the vanquishing of a hated Other could bring the peace he wants for the world. It must, of course, cost him dearly.

This kind of epic maneuvering done successfully is rarely seen. Upon its completion, I was reminded of The Sorrows of Empire, one of the best and recent Star Trek books that methodically and fascinatingly documented the long term plan involved in the seizure, dismantling, destruction and rebirth of an entire galactic civilization.

In the final moments of the last episode of Code Geass, the sacrifice hits home, especially between Lelouche and the one person all of it, the uncounted murder and destruction, was all for.

Qrazy
06-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Only one major twist ever came across as contrived.

Which?

I didn't like Shirley's death.

In the final moments of the last episode of Code Geass, the sacrifice hits home, especially between Lelouche and the one person all of it, the uncounted murder and destruction, was all for.

Do you think it's possible Lelouche is alive? And driving the cart at the end? He may have gotten the immortality code when he destroyed Charles. If not then who do you think was driving the cart and were CC's comments merely rhetorical?

Sxottlan
06-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Which?

Lelouche's accidental influencing of Yuffie combined with his joke of incredible poor taste.

I didn't like Shirley's death.

Yeah, I didn't see the need for that one or why Rolo did it.

Do you think it's possible Lelouche is alive? And driving the cart at the end? He may have gotten the immortality code when he destroyed Charles. If not then who do you think was driving the cart and were CC's comments merely rhetorical?

Just rewatching that now on Youtube, I really didn't get the impression that the cart's driver was Lelouche. I found it much more likely she was simply talking out loud rhetorically. I'm thinking she's simply hitching a ride with a farmer.

Besides, I'd think having him alive at the end would pretty much rob the whole ending of so much of its power.

Qrazy
06-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Lelouche's accidental influencing of Yuffie combined with his joke of incredible poor taste.

Yeah, I didn't see the need for that one or why Rolo did it.

Well it was especially stupid because a short time before she had been close to death and survived... it was an arbitrary anti-climax for a mildly important character.

Just rewatching that now on Youtube, I really didn't get the impression that the cart's driver was Lelouche. I found it much more likely she was simply talking out loud rhetorically. I'm thinking she's simply hitching a ride with a farmer.

Besides, I'd think having him alive at the end would pretty much rob the whole ending of so much of its power.

Agreed, but I think they intentionally maintained that ambiguity.

lovejuice
06-18-2009, 03:53 PM
start Last Exile. not sure how to think of it. I appreciate that we are thrown right into the middle of the war without any information about what, where, who, whom, why and how. i'm not a big fan of the overly use of 3d image for mecha. (even though Last Exile seems to employ the technology very well.) the WW1 inspired art direction is refreshing.

so yeah, at this point, a lot of hit and miss.

Skitch
06-19-2009, 02:37 AM
What are people's thoughts on the Cowboy Bebop movie?

I went on a huge Cowboy Bebop tear this past week rewatching the entire series and capped it off with the movie (which I only saw years ago before I got into the show). It's not up to the series best, but I don't see why many fans were disappointed by it despite feeling like an overlong episode. I'd probably say it's a lot like Serenity was to Firefly.

I agree in every way.

Also, Metropolis was mentioned, I just like to say that was one of the best blind buys I've ever made. I watched it probably four times in the next week...namely because I had to keep showing it to people. :)

Skitch
06-19-2009, 02:39 AM
Suppose a live action Cowboy Bebop movie was inevitable...who would you like to see star and direct?

I'd like to see Ryheui Kitamura direct Keanu Reeves...BECAUSE IT AMUSES ME.

Qrazy
06-19-2009, 04:00 AM
Suppose a live action Cowboy Bebop movie was inevitable...who would you like to see star and direct?

I'd like to see Ryheui Kitamura direct Keanu Reeves...BECAUSE IT AMUSES ME.

I don't know who would direct but I could see Tadanobu Asano as Spike.

Sxottlan
06-19-2009, 08:39 AM
start Last Exile. not sure how to think of it... a lot of hit and miss.

I quite liked the series. I bought the season box set sight unseen as I liked the the idea of the plot and I enjoy steampunk.

I can't say much more because I'm drawing a bit of a blank on much of it now. I don't recall ever being really annoyed with the show or anything. I thought it ended rather beautifully.

Skitch
06-19-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't know who would direct but I could see Tadanobu Asano as Spike.

I approve.

Sycophant
06-19-2009, 03:32 PM
I was thinking about buying Seirei no Moribito, but I don't feel like paying over $100 for 26 episodes--and they aren't even all out yet. And chances are the translation is worse than the fansubs, as was the case with my Samurai Champloo and Welcome to the NHK DVDs. How does this distribution model still work?

lovejuice
06-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I quite liked the series. I bought the season box set sight unseen as I liked the the idea of the plot and I enjoy steampunk.

I can't say much more because I'm drawing a bit of a blank on much of it now. I don't recall ever being really annoyed with the show or anything. I thought it ended rather beautifully.

too bad without the time constraint -- i'm leaving for germany in four days -- i could really see myself finishing and even enjoying the series. oh well, that has to be waited for another while.

Qrazy
06-19-2009, 04:20 PM
too bad without the time constraint -- i'm leaving for germany in four days -- i could really see myself finishing and even enjoying the series. oh well, that has to be waited for another while.

Bah, you could finish the series in four days. :) It's only what, 15 hours long or so?

Sxottlan
06-24-2009, 08:33 AM
So, I blind bought Ergo Proxy on DVD. I'll get around to watching it I think when they cut back on the Bleach episodes on Adult Swim.

That reminds me. Is Morabito ever coming back? I got the impression it was a ratings black hole.

Qrazy
06-24-2009, 04:06 PM
So, I blind bought Ergo Proxy on DVD. I'll get around to watching it I think when they cut back on the Bleach episodes on Adult Swim.

That reminds me. Is Morabito ever coming back? I got the impression it was a ratings black hole.

It is coming back.

Sxottlan
06-25-2009, 08:17 AM
That's good to hear. Although I should rewatch it while its repeating now because I'm not remembering much.

I do like how the series is kind of like a serialized Princess Mononoke.

lovejuice
06-29-2009, 07:26 PM
my thought on the latest issue of naruto.

(promise i won't do this every week, but i'm really bored right now.)

after bitching about the end of pain arch, now it looks promising. these are what i like about it.

* killer bee is going to be prominent. thus far tail beasts have been anything but victims. i think it's kinda stupid that akatsuki collect the power of tail beasts which they can easily defeat anyway.

* kishimoto finally realizes sasuke is less a cool threat than an annoyance. i love sasuke's expression when he learns that he failed the mission.

* i half expect the big revelation when danzo calls madara "master" or something. that they actually aren't in the know surprises me a little.

* finally zetsu doing something! apart from talking to himself and acting as a sport commentator.

Qrazy
06-29-2009, 07:39 PM
my thought on the latest issue of naruto.

(promise i won't do this every week, but i'm really bored right now.)

after bitching about the end of pain arch, now it looks promising. these are what i like about it.

* killer bee is going to be prominent. thus far tail beasts have been anything but victims. i think it's kinda stupid that akatsuki collect the power of tail beasts which they can easily defeat anyway.

Yeah Killer Bee and Raikage are cool.

* kishimoto finally realizes sasuke is less a cool threat than an annoyance. i love sasuke's expression when he learns that he failed the mission.

* i half expect the big revelation when danzo calls madara "master" or something. that they actually aren't in the know surprises me a little.

Hrm maybe, but then why send Sasuke to kill the Kages.

* finally zetsu doing something! apart from talking to himself and acting as a sport commentator.

Indeed, glad to see that.

Comments in the quoted spoiler text.

Sycophant
07-12-2009, 06:50 AM
Just started Now and Then, Here and There. 4 episodes in. Not sure exactly what I was expecting, but it's definitely more brutal than what I'd imagined.

Sycophant
07-13-2009, 05:11 AM
Just started Now and Then, Here and There. 4 episodes in. Not sure exactly what I was expecting, but it's definitely more brutal than what I'd imagined.

Okay, I watched this entire thing and it was pretty amazing.

lovejuice
07-13-2009, 05:28 AM
so do you only have to watch it online? i am mighty interested now.

Sycophant
07-13-2009, 06:04 AM
I actually just ordered the DVD that came out last Tuesday (though I got what I just watched from a torrent). Netflix seems to have it.

Sycophant
07-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Where's Qrazy been this weekend? I need his approval on this.

Sycophant
07-13-2009, 05:55 PM
There is an image in the opening credits (the photograph of Sara) of this show that seems designed purposefully to break your heart every time you start an episode.

Qrazy
07-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Okay, I watched this entire thing and it was pretty amazing.

Excellent! Yeah it totally destroyed my expectations for what it was going to be. It's much more Grave of the Fireflies than say Castle in the Sky. And I love, love, love that opening theme song.

Sycophant
07-13-2009, 10:26 PM
In trying to find a copy with English subtitles and Japanese audio, I ended up watching the opening of the first episode like a dozen times. And I found myself thinking "This looks cute, okay."

So then, yeah, what looks at first like Castle in the Sky ends up being more Grave of the Fireflies set in the world of Nausicaa with child soldiers.

The entire soundtrack was pretty great. Definitely from the same school as Joe Hisaishi, but very solid on its own merit.

Sycophant
07-13-2009, 10:29 PM
I started it Saturday evening and finished it within 24 hours. This show practically needs to be marathoned, because otherwise I think I would've found myself riddled with anxiety over who was going to be okay.

Qrazy
07-15-2009, 07:43 AM
I started it Saturday evening and finished it within 24 hours. This show practically needs to be marathoned, because otherwise I think I would've found myself riddled with anxiety over who was going to be okay.

Definitely.

I haven't watched an anime in a while. I think I may watch Gantz next. That or perhaps the Space Pirate Captain Harlock series that Rintaro directed. If these both fail than perhaps that Count of Monte Cristo series.

Sycophant
07-15-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm gonna start rewatching Kaiba this week. I watched its last few episodes when I was super-tired last year, and didn't really seem to get it.

Sycophant
07-18-2009, 03:46 AM
Okay, someone suggest to me something light and airy and fun. After I watch Kaiba again, I'll probably need it.

Else I'll just have to watch Azumanga Daioh again.

Qrazy
07-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Okay, someone suggest to me something light and airy and fun. After I watch Kaiba again, I'll probably need it.

Else I'll just have to watch Azumanga Daioh again.

I haven't watched many of that type but out of what I have Full Metal Panic? Fumoffo fit's that description best. It's relatively decent, pretty funny. I think you've already seen Great Teacher Onizuka. Hikaru No Go is cool but it's actually fairly tense (but non-violent) rather than light and fluffy.

---

I finished Gantz. It's like Jumanji but with much more sex and violence and it trades in the fantasy element for a science fiction element. On the one hand it's sweet, on the other hand the ending sucked a bit. I'm reading the manga now instead (it's much longer and excises the final segment of the anime story).

Skitch
07-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Blind bought Coyote Ragtime Show series (on sale for $17.99). I really enjoyed it!

Qrazy
07-19-2009, 04:43 AM
Gantz manga is awesome. I'm almost caught up and it's still on going though so that sucks a bit.

Just to clarify this is the most violent and sexualized series I have ever seen/read.

Sxottlan
07-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Bleach episodes 134 & 135 were a welcome return to what the show used to be like back in the first season: little individual adventures in which the soul reapers try to help a lost soul go to the Soul Society.

134 was wonderful for how the plot looked to be going one way and then out of the blue shifts into a personal little quest helping the ghost of a chef bake a cake for his mother. Her initial reaction is natural and I liked how his response created a genuine threat. Most of all I liked how the episode featured entirely secondary characters in heroic lead roles (I especially liked the medic's Zanpakutou ability).

135 went another step further, focusing on the substitute spirit that takes Ichigo's place as he's put into a doll of a little girl and spends the day with her.

I don't think I've enjoyed episodes of Bleach this much since Aizen's betrayal was revealed.

Sycophant
08-12-2009, 05:29 PM
I've started rewatching Hideaki Anno's (Evangelion) 1998 high school romantic comedy series, His and Her Circumstances (I just bought a copy). This is the first thing he did after End of Evangelion, and it's pretty interesting/awesome to see him take the psycho-narrative style he developed toward the end of Evangelion (the first two episodes visually quote episodes 25 and 26 of NGE several times) and apply it to a teen romcom anime show.

I like this show. I remember that it goes a bit downhill around episode 15-17 when Anno left the show, but the show's first half+ is really great.

Qrazy
08-12-2009, 08:03 PM
I'll probably watch Monster next.

Sycophant
09-02-2009, 06:05 PM
In the interest of derailing but in a different direction, seen any new animes lately?

Oh, you guy!

I'm still rewatching Anno's His and Her Circumstances, a show with a lot of flaws, but one that I love immensely. I'm around the midpoint, though, which means I have pretty much one great episode left around episode 15 or 16, but then Anno leaves the show and Tsurumaki takes over. Tsurumaki is great, but the last stretch of the show just isn't as good.

See anything good lately, Qrazy? I'm gonna need somew new series soon. I should probably seek out season 2 Mobile Suit Gundam 00, if it's finished its run.

Qrazy
09-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Oh, you guy!

I'm still rewatching Anno's His and Her Circumstances, a show with a lot of flaws, but one that I love immensely. I'm around the midpoint, though, which means I have pretty much one great episode left around episode 15 or 16, but then Anno leaves the show and Tsurumaki takes over. Tsurumaki is great, but the last stretch of the show just isn't as good.

See anything good lately, Qrazy? I'm gonna need somew new series soon. I should probably seek out season 2 Mobile Suit Gundam 00, if it's finished its run.

Yeah I need to watch the second season of MSG00 as well and I believe it has finished airing and a movie may be planned. I just finished the short 5 episode Afro Samurai which is very well animated with excellent fights but a story that doesn't really go anywhere. Now I'm watching Soul Eater. It's nothing remarkable but it's enjoyable enough so far (5 episodes in). I think there may be a Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 sub out there but I'm guessing the footage is still poor cam quality so I've been holding off.

Qrazy
09-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Soul Eater was pretty good. Not all of the plot threads or character motivations are satisfactorily wrapped up by the end, but the major ones are. The show's like a cross between Full Metal Alchemist and Naruto (quite a few David Lynch references as well) but with a lot more humor.

Sycophant
09-11-2009, 07:10 PM
So, YouTube is putting up whole shows now? Nifty.

There's this show they've got that I watched a few months back called Mobile Suit Gundam 00. At present, the subtitled episodes only go up to episode 9. I don't know if they'll be adding more later, but the entire first series is up with the dub.

It's pretty damned great. Troubled teenagers fighting the armies of the world in giant, invincible death machines for vague ideals to end all war, causing rampant geopolitical chaos 300 years in the future, with Earth divided up into a handful of powerful blocs and the Middle East in ruin because the oil finally ran out.

Show link: http://www.youtube.com/show?p=AQRf-jhQt5I

(Granted, if you're in this thread,you've probably heard of the show before, but I copied and pasted this from something I wrote for a different set of peeps.)

Qrazy
09-11-2009, 07:21 PM
I watched Noein. It's funny, just the other day I was writing that we need more (films) about the multiverse and then comes this anime to fill that niche quite nicely. In some ways it reminded me of Ergo Proxy, not overly so, but just in the sense that the philosophy/physics become a bit convoluted and are told rather than shown a bit too much. However also like EP the animation quality is very good. The show is also a little bit like Boogiepop Phantom/Lain in it's puzzle-like construction. However it's (imo) much better animated and put together and atmospherically enjoyable than those shows (both of which I dislike). Noein is also a bit more of a slice of life show than anything I've mentioned so far. It takes it's sci fi elements and uses them to explore a lot of issues in non-action oriented anime (relationship dynamics, copying with loss, childhood interactions, etc). Ultimately it's quite a good show. The score is moving and memorable, the characters are fairly multi-dimensional (if some motivations are a bit strained), it's well animated, and there's a good balance of quiet moments, action and intrigue.

Qrazy
09-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Kenichi: The Strongest Disciple was a decent shonen. It's about a kid who's bullied and so he starts training at a local dojo to get stronger. It runs for 50 eps but the manga continues for about 350 (roughly 2 mangas per ep). I'm continuing the story by manga now. Lots of humor in the anime. The animation is mediocre and it's the usual cliche shonen story (work hard and get stronger, friendship is important, blah blah) but the characters are very likable, and you get to witness some cool fights, and learn a bit about different martial arts (pretty much everyone in the anime uses a different martial art).

lovejuice
09-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Soul Eater was pretty good. Not all of the plot threads or character motivations are satisfactorily wrapped up by the end, but the major ones are. The show's like a cross between Full Metal Alchemist and Naruto (quite a few David Lynch references as well) but with a lot more humor.
you are talking about the anime or manga? i recently read the manga, but i don't think it has been wrapped up yet.

and yes, i quite enjoy it. what starts out like a softcore porn combined with bleach/FMA knock-off, eventually takes a life of its own and turns out to be rather good. i in fact like it more than bleach which as newer and newer episode comes out actually lowers my respect for it.

edit: oh. i read above post and realize you're talking about soul eater, the anime. i suggest you try the manga if you like the characters and story enough.

Qrazy
09-22-2009, 03:09 PM
I probably will since I just finished Kenichi anime and then moved onto the manga and caught up there.

lovejuice
09-22-2009, 03:53 PM
btw, qrazy, my guess is that you're having orgasm over the last few issues of naruto, with raikage being badassed and all that.

Qrazy
09-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Yeah, it's been pretty sweet. I wonder if Sasuke will go even beyond Susanoo, but probably not for this fight.

Saya
10-03-2009, 03:03 PM
So, I finished watching the Berserk anime last night and I can understand how someone could be pissed off by that ending. Luckily I had read the manga before watching this, so I knew what would happen.

Saya
10-05-2009, 10:52 AM
http://i20.tinypic.com/9lao9y.jpg

EyesWideOpen
10-30-2009, 01:20 AM
For some reason I've been wanting to watch the original Dragonball series (I've seen a few random episodes and at one time had a Dragonball Z obsession). The first season came out on dvd a few months ago and I've had it at the top of my netflix queue since it came out and it's never moved from "very long wait" so I bit the bullet today and used a borders 40% off coupon to get it shipped for $27.

It's selling everywhere for over $40 so at least I can still make my money back if I don't like it.

Qrazy
10-30-2009, 03:51 AM
I've heard good things about this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragon_Ball_Kai_episod es

I never watched the original series because it seemed fairly crappy to me but it is an anime touchstone so perhaps I'll watch it when this new version finishes airing.

Thirdmango
10-30-2009, 09:18 AM
For some reason I've been wanting to watch the original Dragonball series (I've seen a few random episodes and at one time had a Dragonball Z obsession). The first season came out on dvd a few months ago and I've had it at the top of my netflix queue since it came out and it's never moved from "very long wait" so I bit the bullet today and used a borders 40% off coupon to get it shipped for $27.

It's selling everywhere for over $40 so at least I can still make my money back if I don't like it.

It's really good. I bought all 16 books of the manga recently and it's been going like hotcakes through all of my friends. It's a lot more light hearted then Z and has a lot less filler then Z. Don't expect as many cool fights, but it's funny and quite enjoyable. I'd be surprised if you don't like it.

EyesWideOpen
10-31-2009, 05:10 PM
For anyone interested best buy (for some reason best buy is selling it now but everywhere else has it listed as coming out november 24th) has Ghost in the Shell 2.0 blu-ray on sale for $13.99. It's basically Oshii doing a George Lucas on the original Ghost in the Shell film and fixing up some of the computer stuff and updating some of the scenes. I just watched it this morning and the blu looks amazing.

The blu-ray also contains the movie in it's original form for purists. Which I thought would be helpful to tell people since it doesn't state that anywhere on the packaging or on any of the descriptions I've read of the disc.

lovejuice
11-01-2009, 01:49 PM
I never watched the original series because it seemed fairly crappy to me but it is an anime touchstone so perhaps I'll watch it when this new version finishes airing.
DBZ is everything i hate about "classic anime/manga." honestly i don't see any reason you should subject yourself to it.

the original series, which, i assume, mean when Goku is still a boy, is rather good though.

[ETM]
11-01-2009, 02:29 PM
It's basically Oshii doing a George Lucas on the original Ghost in the Shell film and fixing up some of the computer stuff and updating some of the scenes. I just watched it this morning and the blu looks amazing.

Yeah, I've seen it. Some of the "upgrades" are welcome, but the quality of 3D CGI was generally not good enough to blend with the original animation. Still, neat.

Sxottlan
12-03-2009, 09:12 AM
So what are people's general opinion of the anime series out there lately? There was an Adult Swim bump recently that said they weren't too impressed with what's coming out of Japan lately.

Saya
01-01-2010, 10:27 AM
I thought this was pretty cool:
Reform Without Wasted Draws - The Legend of Koizumi - 01 (Koizumi vs Kim Jong Il) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIO4Uw36-JE)

http://i49.tinypic.com/11jloig.jpg

EvilShoe
01-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Any of you ever seen Planetes? Just watched the pilot and liked it very much. Fun stuff. I also dig the concept: It's about a space crew assigned to get rid of scrap metal floating in outer space.

Will see how it evolves though.

D_Davis
01-01-2010, 04:12 PM
the original series, which, i assume, mean when Goku is still a boy, is rather good though.

Yes.

Qrazy
02-02-2010, 01:21 AM
Well I took a few months back but I'm back on the anime band wagon again. Claymore was pretty good, the ending felt rushed. I looked it up and apparently it changed it's story from the manga... but judging from where the manga heads that's probably a good thing. I started three other series... Ghost Hound which is looking very promising (4 episodes in), Monster which I've heard great things about and is just starting to show promise (3 episodes in) and The Third (one episode) which seems alright. It was recommended for fans of Noein which I think a lot of you would like.

By the by Davis, Ghost Hound reminds me a bit of Boogiepop and Serial Experiments in tone but with much, much better animation and a more focused narrative. I also quite like it's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VTpsfru0ak&feature=related.

D_Davis
02-04-2010, 05:57 PM
By the by Davis, Ghost Hound reminds me a bit of Boogiepop and Serial Experiments in tone but with much, much better animation and a more focused narrative. I also quite like it's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VTpsfru0ak&feature=related.

Interesting. I'll have to check it out. I take it its on the torrents now?

Qrazy
02-04-2010, 06:06 PM

I tend to watch anime shows streaming so I"m not sure but you could probably find it somewhere. Bear in mind I've only watched four episodes so I don't know how it turns out.

http://tv.blinkx.com/show/ghost-hound/qKn8TZzeYxB654_l#s1e1

Sxottlan
02-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Nothing new right now, but I'm enjoying revisiting with old friends Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in The Shell on AS.

Qrazy
02-16-2010, 07:26 PM

Apparently it was written by the guy who wrote Serial Experiments Lain. I'm about halfway through the series now (Ghost Hound) and it's quite interesting. There's a lot of fairly accurate psychology jargon... brain/function localization, that kind of thing... but it's well incorporated in the narrative.

Qrazy
02-17-2010, 04:08 PM
So what are your favorite anime soundtracks? I grabbed Samurai Champloo's soundtrack and quite enjoy it.

Sycophant
02-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Samurai Champloo's soundtrack is aces. So is Cowboy Bebop. Also love Susumu Hirasawa's work on Paranoia Agent.

D_Davis
03-26-2010, 05:19 AM
Well I think I officially have a new favorite animated series:

http://timmaughanbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/freedom5dvd.jpg

The Freedom Project, a 7 part OVA series with character and mechanical designs by Katsuhiro Otomo.

I just finished the 4th OVA, and it is brilliant thus far. A grand, and epic SF adventure about a moon colony hundreds of years in the future. The colony is called Eden, and it was built after the Earth was all but destroyed. The people of Eden, the last bastion of humanity, are told that the Earth is no longer hospitable, but a young group of rebels - in a bike gang of course, it is Otomo - discover the truth.

The art is direction is simply incredible. Otomo's characters have always been among the most expressive in the industry, and here they are superb. And his mechanical designs might be even better. The world of Eden masterfully realized - the colors pop off the screen, and everything is animated fluidly.

But most of all the story and the characters are interesting. It's an A-class series all the way. Can't wait to see how it ends up. Just 3 more episodes to go.

It was actually commissioned by Nissin Cup of Noodles, and so it features the product in every episode, and the animation is produced by Sunrise.

Promo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxYRMMbbFgU&feature=fvsr

Qrazy
03-26-2010, 05:28 AM
Nice, I"ll definitely check it out.

An update on some animes I've been watching and/or started.

Started:

The Third
Real Drive

Finished:

Monster (Meh)
Michiko To Hatchin (Enjoyable)

D_Davis
03-27-2010, 06:14 AM
Man, Freedom Project is awesome. I even got a little teary eyed towards the end. Great stuff.