PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Here Speak Russian?

Qrazy
12-05-2007, 11:09 PM
And would be willing to translate the audio/dialogue on Aleksei German's films into English? I have the films and/or can rip the audio and send it to you. His films are amazing but are lacking subtitles.

[ETM]
12-05-2007, 11:50 PM
I have found just one subtitle... Moy Drug Ivan Lapshin... and a Bulgarian translation of Proverka na dorogakh, which I speak even less than Russian.

Qrazy
12-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Yeah, already have the Ivan subtitle... looking more for Checkpoint, Twenty Days without War and Khrustalyov, My Car!

bac0n
12-06-2007, 01:43 AM
I at one point (highschool) was somewhat competent in Russian. These days, all I can remember, apart from hello (zdrastvweetya), please (pazhalooysta), thankyou (spaseeba) and "so long" (da svetanya), are randonm useless shit like "I play soccer in the stadium!" (ya egrayou football na stadyone!), "dickhead" (zaloopa), and "don't spit in your head cheese" (ne plyooie golovnie sier).

Sad, really, how quickly one forgets languages when one does not use them.

Qrazy
12-06-2007, 04:44 AM
Well brush up and translate!

Sycophant
12-06-2007, 04:45 AM
Man. Translation would be such a chore. Have you ever even tried to transcribe a film in your own language and time the subtitles? It's long, hard, boring work.

Qrazy
12-06-2007, 04:57 AM
Man. Translation would be such a chore. Have you ever even tried to transcribe a film in your own language and time the subtitles? It's long, hard, boring work.

Yeah it would, but I just want to read the script before watching the film. I don't need to time it. I don't think it would be that bad if the person just translated it as they were watching... writing/typing each line in english as it went... as long as they're a fast typer, could do it in a viewing.

Philosophe_rouge
12-06-2007, 05:18 AM
Yeah it would, but I just want to read the script before watching the film. I don't need to time it. I don't think it would be that bad if the person just translated it as they were watching... writing/typing each line in english as it went... as long as they're a fast typer, could do it in a viewing.
Meh, I don't know. If you want a translation that makes some sense it can take a while, there aren't always words that match up in both languages, and syntax/dialects/expressions, among other things also get in the way.

Qrazy
12-06-2007, 05:19 AM
Meh, I don't know. If you want a translation that makes some sense it can take a while, there aren't always words that match up in both languages, and syntax/dialects/expressions, among other things also get in the way.

Yeah, yeah, a good translation can take a long time but I'm just looking for basic plot here... beyond imdb mini-paragraphs.

Li Lili
12-06-2007, 09:05 PM
I once did a translation for a film that was selected for a film festival (Locarno!) and I didn't expect it to be that long!!! It was also rather hard, but also what made even harder was the fact that I didn't have the same version of the film (I had the old and shorter version, and the producer gave me the new dialog list of the new and longer version without telling me!!!), when I realized it and asked him to give me the new version of the film, I understood some of the dialogue could have made confusion and misinterpretation if I didn't know the images (already even with the images, it's easy to make mistakes).
Anyway, sorry I don't speak Russian.

origami_mustache
12-06-2007, 09:21 PM
I need english subs for The Human Condition parts 2 and 3, if anyone knows where to acquire them...if they even exist.

Qrazy
12-06-2007, 10:04 PM
I know they exist because I've watched them... if you got the movies off Karagarga try torrentspy for subs... that is download the files but only select the subs for download.

Yxklyx
12-08-2007, 06:37 AM
Adin, Dva, Tri...

one year in middle school which was negated because music ended up being offered at the same time.

Qrazy
04-16-2008, 01:05 AM
Has anyone learned Russian yet?

monolith94
04-16-2008, 02:15 AM
I once watched a Lev Kuleshov film without subtitles in its entirety.

I kind of got it. The irony, of course, was that it was about the life of O. Henry.

megladon8
04-16-2008, 02:17 AM
I'm always surprised by how much French I have retained. Considering I slept through all of high school, I didn't expect to be about 3/5 of the way to being bilingual.

SirNewt
04-16-2008, 02:23 AM
I once watched a Lev Kuleshov film without subtitles in its entirety.

I kind of got it. The irony, of course, was that it was about the life of O. Henry.

Nice, nothing quite like a Russian take on an American writer known for his wordplay.

:crazy:

MacGuffin
04-16-2008, 03:32 AM
Babelfish could serve as a usual solution. They for the most part provide the most literal translations, if at times they are grammatically incorrect. Of course, they may not serve the Russian language, you would have to see for yourself.

soitgoes...
04-16-2008, 04:05 AM
Has anyone learned Russian yet?
I knew I was forgetting to do something today.

Qrazy
04-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Babelfish could serve as a usual solution. They for the most part provide the most literal translations, if at times they are grammatically incorrect. Of course, they may not serve the Russian language, you would have to see for yourself.

They don't convert audio.

[ETM]
04-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Haven't found subtitles for German, Qrazy, just this page so far:
http://www.subtitry.ru/subs/ENG/

It contains (mostly) English subtitles for Russian films, perhaps you'll find something you might eventually need, if you haven't seen it before.

EDIT: Also here.
http://subs.com.ru/list.php?c=engrusubtitles

Grouchy
04-16-2008, 04:25 PM
You should get in touch with zerkalo from RT. He was Russian-born.

Qrazy
04-16-2008, 09:35 PM
You should get in touch with zerkalo from RT. He was Russian-born.

Yeah I tried to peer pressure Bazarov (RT) to do it but he didn't seem to be feeling it. He linked me to a Russian subtitle making forum but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to sign up and post my request.

I have two Russian speaking friends in real life but they're more acquaintances and not into film... also in the midst of their finals so nothing doing for at least another month.

Thirdmango
04-18-2008, 02:00 AM
Some of us here have a friend who graduated and is going to grad school for Russian Lit and Film, so if anyone would know, he'd be the guy I'd go to, I'll send him an email.

Qrazy
04-19-2008, 01:22 AM
Some of us here have a friend who graduated and is going to grad school for Russian Lit and Film, so if anyone would know, he'd be the guy I'd go to, I'll send him an email.

Awesome, I can get him the films or just the audio or he can get them himself off karagarga if he has that connected... if he's interested at all.

I'm sure tons of people the world over would thank him for making German's work accessible to a wider audience.

soitgoes...
04-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Awesome, I can get him the films or just the audio or he can get them himself off karagarga if he has that connected... if he's interested at all.

I'm sure tons of people the world over would thank him for making German's work accessible to a wider audience.I blame German. I mean if he really wanted his work to be seen by a wider audience, don't you think he should have just made his movies in English. Perhaps with a lotta of splosions and shit. Yeah, that would have been better than a talky Russian film.