PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me French Films by Feyder, Clair, Duvivier and Vadim

Qrazy
12-05-2007, 08:13 AM
What are the best films by the directors mentioned in the title?

Feyder
Clair
Duvivier
Vadim

origami_mustache
12-05-2007, 08:18 AM
haven't seen much, but I recommend:

Duvivier:
Pépé le Moko

Clair:
Paris qui dort (short)
Entr'acte (short)

Yxklyx
12-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Feyder:
Faces of Children

Duvivier:
Pépé le Moko

Clair:
Le Million
The Flame of New Orleans
And Then There Were None

Qrazy
12-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Seen and quite enjoyed Pepe le Moko, Le Million, And Then There Were None... will check out the rest, thanks... particularly the first two.

Also seen And God Created Woman from Vadim, but no others from him.

Sven
12-05-2007, 02:49 PM
You should not miss Clair's Au Nous La Liberte. It's sublime. Think Chaplin's Modern Times with songs.

Spinal
12-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Wasn't wild about Under the Roofs of Paris. Barely remember it at all.

Didn't really care for the Vadim films I've seen (And God Created Woman, The Night Heaven Fell). Both were tedious.

Pepe le Moko is very engaging. Especially love the beginning introduction of the environment.

That's all I got.

jesse
12-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Barbarella!

Seriously.

baby doll
12-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Barbarella!

Seriously.Yeah, I've yet to see a single Vadim picture, but it looks a lot more interesting than Les Liaisons dangereuses.

soitgoes...
12-05-2007, 09:19 PM
You should not miss Clair's Au Nous La Liberte. It's sublime. Think Chaplin's Modern Times with songs.
In fact Chaplin was sued by Tobis Studios because of the similarities.

Clair's Under the Roofs of Paris is an interesting early talkie. Since he could only record one track on the film at any one time, you only get music or talking, never the two together.

Le Million is by far his best work of the three early French talkies I've seen. His two shorts, Entr'acte and Paris qui dort are both great. Of his American work, I've only seen I Married a Witch which was OK, and And Then There Was None which was good.

As for the other three directors you listed, I've only seen Pépé le Moko.

Qrazy
12-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Didn't really care for the Vadim films I've seen (And God Created Woman, The Night Heaven Fell). Both were tedious.

Really? I quite enjoyed And God Created Woman.

Thanks for the rest of the recs folks, will take them into consideration.

Mysterious Dude
12-06-2007, 12:19 AM
I like Feyder's Visages d'enfants quite a bit.