PDA

View Full Version : The Chronicles of Narnia : Prince Caspian

jenniferofthejungle
12-05-2007, 03:25 AM
http://www.narniaweb.com/news.asp?id=1355&dl=14478175

I looked for the thread, but didn't see one.

Sven
12-05-2007, 04:00 AM
Good grief.

monolith94
12-05-2007, 04:56 AM
They've taken lovely tales, tales of humanity and struggle and idealism, and turned them into slick hollywood marketing events. Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

Watashi
12-05-2007, 05:41 AM
They've taken lovely tales, tales of humanity and struggle and idealism, and turned them into slick hollywood marketing events. Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

You could say this about every Hollywood blockbuster (including LOTR).

I'll see it.

Reepicheep > All

Ezee E
12-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Didn't see the first one. I probably never will. Same goes for this.

Duncan
12-05-2007, 06:33 AM
I saw the first one, but that's about all I can take of this movie franchise.

I'd like to read the books again at some point.

Morris Schæffer
12-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Hated the first Narnia flick, but frankly, I can't say good things about the book either except that it was better than Adamson's adaptation.

D_Davis
12-05-2007, 02:00 PM
The first film is great, and I bet this one will be too. I liked the first film about a billion times better (no exaggeration) than all the HP films combined. It is a good adaptation, and didn't feel like just a collection of best-of-bits from the book like the HP films do. I hope these films continue to get better, I would like to have the whole series.

That trailer looked awesome.

lovejuice
12-05-2007, 02:41 PM
i don't like the first movie (or the first book) that much, but nania is this few franchise that -- unlike lotr which many will disagree with me -- actually getting better as it moves along. the trailer look fantastic.

monolith94
12-05-2007, 03:35 PM

I'll see it.

Reepicheep > All

No you can't, because not every hollywood blockbuster is an adaptation of a classic piece of our culture. And I do say that about LotR, which I do not think is a very good addition to our culture. But, certainly, much better than Adamson's abomination.

Is reepicheep even in prince caspian? I thought his first appearance was in voyage of the dawn treader.

The first half of Prince Caspian is my personal least favorite section of the whole Chronicles, but the second half more than makes up for it. But I doubt that Adamson can really bring to life the joy with pagan-overtones jubilation that Lewis illustrated in his novel.

Wryan
12-05-2007, 04:17 PM
"I am Prince Caspian.........from Caspiar.......an island in the Caspian Sea."

number8
12-05-2007, 06:16 PM
The worst thing about this is that there are 9 more to go.

monolith94
12-05-2007, 06:34 PM
9? How could they get 9 out of seven books?

number8
12-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Oh, sorry, I typed 6 upside-down, after mistaking it for a 5.

bac0n
12-05-2007, 08:19 PM
I thought Lion Witch Wardrobe was okay (Tilda Swinton as The Snow Queen : rrrrooooowrrr!) but nothing spectacular. I remember nothing of Prince Caspian from when I read it as a child, so, I'll probably do with this movie the same as I did with the old: wait till it comes out on DVD, let my father-in-law buy it (which he inevitably will) and watch it at his place.

The movie in this series I'm most looking forward to, tho, is The Silver Chair. I think that was my fave of the Chronicles of Narnia.

SpaceOddity
12-05-2007, 09:27 PM
The first Narnia film was abysmal.

*shudders*

Grouchy
12-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Hated the first Narnia flick, but frankly, I can't say good things about the book either except that it was better than Adamson's adaptation.
I agree. The first Narnia movie was slick-looking, but it's just generic fantasy movie nonsense. I think the books get progressively better up to the third one (Dawn Treader) and then become this mish-mash of Christian metaphor and predictable humor. I'm not excited for the saga.

The best thing about the first one was how morbidly erotic Tilda Swinton was as the Queen.

MadMan
12-06-2007, 12:58 AM
To me the first film was decent at best, and pretty forgettable. I haven't read any of the books and I really don't have any intention of doing so-they just don't seem like my bag-and I doubt I'll view any more film adaptions of the books either.

KK2.0
12-06-2007, 07:13 PM
The first Narnia film was abysmal.

*shudders*

yep, i left the theater actually angry. It reminded me of that dreadful sequel to The Neverending Story.

jenniferofthejungle
02-01-2008, 04:32 PM
One sheet.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/6870/princecaspian1sheetbigmxr1.th. jpg (http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?image=princecaspian1she etbigmxr1.jpg)

Morris Schæffer
02-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Tilda Swinton was about as memorable as Ron Jeremy's moustache.

lovejuice
02-01-2008, 06:16 PM
at the end, i think making this into a big budget hollywood is a bad idea. narnia, the book, works best in a fairy tale format with some ambiguous moral.

lovejuice
05-27-2008, 06:34 PM
i dislike the first film, but wow, i consider this one to be pretty solid. the second book, imo, is already better than the first, and they even make some changes that i think makes it work better cinematically.

while the first one seems to have some identity problem, prince caspian is a full-stream epic fantasy. it has been a looong while when i read the book, but from what i remember

the white queen doesn't have a role in prince caspain. the fact that she does in movie makes the world more complete. and i really love the identity of the "real bad guy."

Sxottlan
05-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Interesting that there's been next to no reaction to this film around here.

I thought it was a smidge better than the first, sort of like a positive-average. Unfortunately, the kid they hired to play Peter is still an absolutely terrible actor. Nothing out of his mouth sounds genuine. Could just be his accent, but he's so incredibly flat. Susan however is coming along nicely. ;)

Certainly the most violent PG-rated film I've seen in awhile. I liked the darker tone to this one, although my overall problem with the films remains. Chiefly, that the world of Narnia never ever comes across as a living breathing world. Even within the films, the place feels generally phony. While there was a better feeling of the passage of time, it also feels like Narnia is just killing time between the arrivals from our world.

Qrazy
05-27-2008, 09:38 PM

No, you couldn't.

Sycophant
05-27-2008, 10:03 PM
No, you couldn't.
I've been waiting nearly six achingly long months for someone to challenge that statement. Thanks, Qrazy!

Qrazy
05-27-2008, 10:09 PM
I've been waiting nearly six achingly long months for someone to challenge that statement. Thanks, Qrazy!

I live to please.

Sven
05-28-2008, 12:07 AM
No, you couldn't.

But... but you really could, see.

Qrazy
05-28-2008, 12:17 AM
But... but you really could, see.

Obviously I disagree with Lord of the Rings but then... when I think Star Wars OT, Jaws, ET... and adjusted for inflation... The Exorcist, Ben-Hur, The Sting, The Godfather, Butch Cassidy, Blazing Saddles, Gone with the Wind, etc.

Also The Incredibles, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, The Lion King, Monsters Inc.

All blockbusters in their time and none make me think slick and only some make me think marketing.

Sven
05-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Perhaps I disagree with Wats's hyperbole, but I think it would be a bit of fooling to say that the bottom line when it came down to each and every one of those pictures was money. Obviously I cannot tell you what to think, but surely, when thinking on Hollywood cinema, despite any artistic success achieved by any picture, you can see a fundamental financial impetus at stake?

And I admit to being baffled at your dismissal of the term "slick" and near denial of "marketing" when speaking of Disney films, perhaps the slickest marketing machine on the planet.

Qrazy
05-28-2008, 12:31 AM
Not interested.

Sven
05-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Not interested.

Good call.