PDA

View Full Version : Glee

Pages : [1] 2

DavidSeven
09-09-2009, 01:43 AM
Watched the pilot just recently. Loved it. Sure to become a MatchCut favorite so we might as well get this started.

number8
09-09-2009, 02:36 AM
YES.

Kurosawa Fan
09-09-2009, 04:10 AM
Watched the pilot just recently. Loved it. Sure to become a MatchCut favorite so we might as well get this started.

You are right on the money with this prediction. Pretty sure everyone here who has seen it has liked/loved it, myself included.

MadMan
09-09-2009, 04:14 AM
If Wednesday's episode appears on either Hula or Fox's website, I will try and watch it. The previews for this show have me quite interested.

Mara
09-09-2009, 01:13 PM
My icine peeps hated it. So, I guess it's my Match Cut show.

number8
09-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Icine is a bunch of duckshaggers anyway.

Wryan
09-09-2009, 11:17 PM
That's glorious, 8. Is that original? I hope so...

Philosophe_rouge
09-10-2009, 01:28 AM
I saw the pilot and quite enjoyed it.

number8
09-10-2009, 01:38 AM
That's glorious, 8. Is that original? I hope so...

What is?

Mara
09-10-2009, 07:19 PM
List of brochures in the guidance counselor's office:

Ouch! That stings!
Divorce: Why Your Parents Stopped Loving You
I Can't Stop Touching Myself
Radon: The Silent Killer
My Mom's Bipolar and she Won't Stop Yelling
Wow! There's a hair down there!
So You Like Throwing Up

Mara
09-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Okay, finished up. Not sure about this episode. I like some of the stuff they're setting up, but some of the musical sequences are starting to feel kind of canned and over-produced. Some very funny stuff, and I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Jane Lynch is brilliant.

number8
09-11-2009, 03:54 AM
An open letter to random anonymous fuckwads on the internet. Hey you. You, the one being clever and snarky by calling Glee "High School Musical: The Series." Tell you what. If you really think that High School Musical is this good, send me the Amazon link and I will purchase the trilogy box set with verve. I will. But if it ends up being shitty and nothing at all like Glee, I will visit you in your reverie and smash the fucking box set on your fucking visage. Sincerely, the phantom who evacuates on your soul.

Mara
09-11-2009, 12:54 PM
I was tricked into watching the first High School Musical by being told it was campy fun, like Girls Just Want to Have Fun. The latter of which is fantastic.

It was painfully, eye-gougingly bad. It wasn't good to make fun of. It wasn't good at all.

DON'T DO IT.

DavidSeven
09-11-2009, 08:48 PM
some of the musical sequences are starting to feel kind of canned and over-produced.

This is also my concern. The numbers didn't feel as natural or as emotional as the ones from the pilot. The lip synching was pretty distracting in this episode as well.

Mara
09-11-2009, 09:04 PM
I'd also like a return to musical theater numbers. Embrace the camp, my friends.

Spinal
09-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Disappointed a bit by the second episode. I certainly don't think the writing needs to be brilliant for the show to be entertaining, but they're going to have to start digging a little deeper soon. Hopefully they are playing out the obvious dynamics early and they find a way to ground the characters in interactions that are a bit more substantial.

TOTALLY agree with the concern that the musical numbers were overproduced. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. When you say you're not going to have enough rehearsal time to get the Kanye number down, but then you launch into a professional-level performance on your first time looking at the music ... that makes no sense! What's endearing is the struggle that finally results in something beautiful. Not the fact that they are brilliant every time they open their mouths. Gotta find a way to keep them the underdogs.

That said, the use of Salt-n-Pepa was greatly appreciated and Lea Michele's final number gives hints about the show this could become. Still going to watch but I'm hoping it gets better.

number8
09-12-2009, 05:46 AM
Wait, I thought they were supposed to be obviously lipsyncing? I mean, the teacher was obviously not the one rapping Golddigger.

Kurosawa Fan
09-12-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm in agreement on the musical numbers. My thoughts mirror those that have already been posted. I did, however, think that this last episode had some hilarious moments, and as long as the writing stays at that level, I'm in. Jane Lynch is comic gold.

Mara
09-12-2009, 01:26 PM
I mean, the teacher was obviously not the one rapping Golddigger.

I thought he was. Could someone check iTunes?

Mara
09-12-2009, 01:36 PM
I thought he was. Could someone check iTunes?

The single, as heard on the show, is shown as being by the Glee cast. I'm pretty sure our Will was doing the "solo," as they called it, which I'm not sure is a rap term.

The whole thing was a tiny bit embarrassing, but Will looked really attractive in that scene.

Kurosawa Fan
09-12-2009, 02:20 PM
I need to clarify my position on the songs. I actually liked Golddigger. I didn't mind that they knew the song well. Frankly, I'm not interested in watching them learn the songs in detail. I think his (being Will) point was that they weren't going to be ready to perform a song like that with choreography. That's why they pretty much just stood in a semicircle and sang. That was enough for me. I'd rather it was a little less polished, so that it wasn't so terribly obvious that it's lip-synching. That's a problem for me, albeit a small one. My bigger issue was with Lea Michelle's final song. That's what I don't want out of this show. I like it when the songs are part of Glee club. I'm not terribly interested in characters walking along the hallways belting out songs that the students around them can't hear, or backup singers appearing out of nowhere when a student is supposed to be going to reherse on their own. That to me reeks of High School Musical. That's the type of stuff I'd rather they left alone, because I feel like it crosses that line.

number8
09-12-2009, 05:34 PM
I do not have a problem with either.

Spinal
09-12-2009, 06:17 PM
My bigger issue was with Lea Michelle's final song. That's what I don't want out of this show. I like it when the songs are part of Glee club. I'm not terribly interested in characters walking along the hallways belting out songs that the students around them can't hear, or backup singers appearing out of nowhere when a student is supposed to be going to reherse on their own. That to me reeks of High School Musical. That's the type of stuff I'd rather they left alone, because I feel like it crosses that line.

Bah. That's the only thing that's going to keep this show from getting repetitive.

Kurosawa Fan
09-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Bah. That's the only thing that's going to keep this show from getting repetitive.

Funny thing is I agree with this as well. I was just thinking this morning that I can't see this show not becoming repetitive. Sure it can remain funny and entertaining, but really, where can it go? Glee club will have ups and downs, his wife will get caught in her lie, the two teachers will probably inevitably hook up, much like the two leads of Glee club, etc., etc., etc. But what would be the ultimate goal of the show? What direction can they take things that would really be inventive and surprising? I'm not really sure. I hope they prove me wrong.

number8
09-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Any of you watch Nip/Tuck?

Acapelli
09-12-2009, 07:17 PM
love nip/tuck

Kurosawa Fan
09-12-2009, 07:21 PM

Nope. Seemed like trashy nonsense to me. No one has convinced me it's anything else.

number8
09-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Ryan Murphy is really good at curveball drama, often at the cost of logic. He might try something different with Glee, but from the character set-ups, I think we will see the same kind of writing. It's not going to be as deliciously trashy just for the fact that Nip/Tuck was a deliberate soap opera parody centering around beauty as a theme and this is more of a riff on musicals centering around expression, but I think some of that type of storytelling will start to creep in. We'll see some gay curiosity and a rape or two soon enough, I'm sure. I liked that the second episode focused heavily on sex.

Mara
09-12-2009, 09:01 PM
a rape or two

I certainly hope not.

number8
09-12-2009, 09:03 PM
I certainly hope not.

But what will the music heal?

Acapelli
09-12-2009, 09:31 PM
i can see a date rape possibly happening (as opposed to a violent attack), but even then, none of the characters seem scummy enough to do that, and having some random football jock doing it would be pretty trite

number8
09-12-2009, 09:39 PM
I was thinking the fat coach forcing himself on Jayma Mays.

Acapelli
09-12-2009, 10:26 PM
I was thinking the fat coach forcing himself on Jayma Mays.
that would just be cruel

Thirdmango
09-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Loved the first episode was let down by the second.

Acapelli
09-17-2009, 02:03 AM
loved tonight's episode. i kind of hope the show just continues with sue going after glee club like wile e. coyote goes after the roadrunner, with each scheme getting more elaborate than the last

Wryan
09-18-2009, 02:41 AM
The baby thing is going to be such a train wreck. I can't even imagine. Not a bad third episode. But I'm getting some huge deja vu from the grueling professional choreographer coming in to help angle. I'm sure it's not new, but I can't place it specifically.

Quite a few interesting angles.

Lucky
09-18-2009, 02:53 AM
Not sure if this ep was just not as funny or if the style of humor is waning on me. Didn't really care for ep 3.

Kurosawa Fan
09-18-2009, 03:14 AM
Didn't care for this last one either. Not only was the humor nonexistent, I'm finding the inconsistencies of the characters a problem. Mr. Shuster has gone from loving Glee, to leaving for a new job, to staying and loving them and committing to them again, to feeling apathetic and focusing on his Acafellas group, to recommitting himself, all in the span of three episodes. The QB's constant waffling is just as irritating. Jane Lynch and Lea Michelle are the highlights, and if it continues in this way, even they won't be enough to keep me watching.

Agree about the baby thing. Total trainwreck, and just ridiculous. Kill it quickly.

Wryan
09-18-2009, 04:41 AM
Agree about the baby thing. Total trainwreck, and just ridiculous. Kill it quickly.

Well I didn't quite mean in the sense that it's wholly ridiculous but rather that it would be very difficult to resolve in a satisfying way, to me at least. I can't see how they'd do it, and stretching it out over the course of the season would be kinda painful and awkward all around. Hmmm....

Acapelli
09-18-2009, 05:07 AM
the baby thing is definitely a ryan murphy thing. reminds me of a plot-line from nip/tuck last season

where sean pretended to be unable to walk after he was stabbed multiple times in the back by a stalker despite being fully healed

Spinal
09-19-2009, 04:34 PM
What the show lacks in funny it makes up for with slutty cheerleader outfits.

But seriously, yeah, charm is wearing off. Need more substance quick.

I do enjoy that in high school movies or television, any amount of cash can be raised in a single day of dedicated car washing.

Wryan
09-19-2009, 06:52 PM
I do enjoy that in high school movies or television, any amount of cash can be raised in a single day of dedicated car washing.

That was pretty good.

Mara
09-19-2009, 08:07 PM
What the show lacks in funny it makes up for with slutty cheerleader outfits.

I'm really over the cheerleader outfits, despite it being mildly funny that the cheerleaders are never shown wearing anything else.

number8
09-20-2009, 06:24 AM
Not funny? I laughed for two minutes straight at the cake and "There's a lot of moms out there, right?"

Acapelli
09-20-2009, 06:57 AM
Not funny? I laughed for two minutes straight at the cake and "There's a lot of moms out there, right?"
i think you and i might be the only ones who will enjoy it all the way through

Spinal
09-20-2009, 07:14 AM
I haven't laughed out loud since the pilot. And I really want this show to succeed.

Kurosawa Fan
09-20-2009, 01:08 PM

That got a small chuckle out of me, nothing more.

Qrazy
09-23-2009, 05:15 AM
Didn't care for this last one either. Not only was the humor nonexistent, I'm finding the inconsistencies of the characters a problem. Mr. Shuster has gone from loving Glee, to leaving for a new job, to staying and loving them and committing to them again, to feeling apathetic and focusing on his Acafellas group, to recommitting himself, all in the span of three episodes. The QB's constant waffling is just as irritating. Jane Lynch and Lea Michelle are the highlights, and if it continues in this way, even they won't be enough to keep me watching.

People in Glee Club are complete drama queens though so their indecisive bullshit kind of works on that level.

Qrazy
09-23-2009, 05:16 AM
I'm really over the cheerleader outfits.

This is because you do not have a penis.

Acapelli
09-24-2009, 02:00 AM
this was my favorite episode yet

number8
09-24-2009, 07:54 AM
I think it's the best one, too.

Kurosawa Fan
09-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Eh. I'm not sure I'm sticking around much longer. Seems to be veering into trashy soap opera tactics. Guess I should have expected that considering the creator.

Acapelli
09-24-2009, 12:50 PM
kurt coming out to his dad actually got me a bit emotional

Kurosawa Fan
09-24-2009, 02:48 PM
kurt coming out to his dad actually got me a bit emotional

One of my least favorite moments of last night's episode. They did one of those predictable, pull the rug out from under you devices that I can't stand. They present his dad like he's an ignorant, judgmental person in the beginning (seemingly distressed at his son's outfit and dance, the threat of coming to the first game to make sure his son wasn't lying), only to show what a kind, accepting soul he really is. Lame.

number8
09-24-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm sort of confused by the negative reaction. The show's moving in the direction exactly as set-up as in the pilot, doesn't it?

Spinal
09-25-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm pretty sure that there should have been a procedure penalty on that touchdown.

Fezzik
09-25-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that there should have been a procedure penalty on that touchdown.

:lol:

I had the exact same thought, but..

That scene was awesome. I didn't stop laughing through the entire thing.

And really, Beyonce has a point. If you like it, you really SHOULD put a ring on it, you know? :)

Kurosawa Fan
09-25-2009, 01:03 PM

I was pointing out penalties to my wife while they were dancing. She wasn't amused. She told me to shut up.

Spinal
09-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Nobody should be putting a ring on it in high school.

Kurosawa Fan
09-25-2009, 02:09 PM
I was pointing out penalties to my wife while they were dancing. She wasn't amused. She told me to shut up.

Oh, she was also less than impressed by my awareness that the extra kick not only would have been blocked, but both holder and kicker would likely be taking a ride in an ambulance for taking that much time to get the kick off.

Fezzik
09-25-2009, 02:19 PM

What's really funny is that we have a friend here in town who likes the over-the-top campiness of scenes like the football dance, but completely railed against the self-righteous, self-centered monologuing characters in the drama/glee club.

She felt the monologuing "felt artificial" and that people in high school "never acted like that."

First of all, I asked her what high school she went to, because high school students have always acted like that (even if their volumes are slightly turned down), but then, to rip on the monologueing?

Really? I thought that added to the camp factor. It felt like an 80s movie, updated to the aughts.

number8
09-25-2009, 09:23 PM
And really, Beyonce has a point. If you like it, you really SHOULD put a ring on it, you know? :)

No.

[ETM]
09-26-2009, 12:41 AM
That was all over the place weirdness, yet strangely fun.

DavidSeven
09-26-2009, 01:36 AM
I might be over this show. I won't say they're doing anything particularly awful, but it takes a lot for me to keep up with a show every week, and this show ain't doing it right now.

Acapelli
10-01-2009, 01:31 AM
so kristin chenoweth is basically playing a popular version of jerri blank

Lucky
10-01-2009, 02:18 AM
Holy Auto-Tune. Was it just me or was it extremely more apparent this episode? I'm almost ready to call it quits on this show, but then it has a moment like the "Maybe This Time" number. I'm game for another episode.

number8
10-01-2009, 05:00 AM
I cannot express how much I loved this episode.

number8
10-01-2009, 05:00 AM
so kristin chenoweth is basically playing a popular version of jerri blank

Haha, that was exactly what I thought too. "Holy shit, she's channeling Sedaris."

EyesWideOpen
10-01-2009, 05:08 AM
I cannot express how much I loved this episode.

Me too. It was pretty great that the show ended with a Queen song considering the talk about them today in the film discussion thread.

Mara
10-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Alright, good times. I'm starting to feel like the show is finding a comfortable balance between campy and sincere, and of course KC is cute as a button.

A little strange that they essentially ignored all the plot lines from the last episode (esp. Quinn and The Wife) but it looks like they're back to it next week.

number8
10-02-2009, 03:10 AM
I'm also really liking Douchebag Mohawk Dude.

"The wheelchair kid is right!" had me laughing pretty hard.

Spinal
10-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Probably the best episode since the pilot.

I find myself strangely drawn to the blond secondary cheerleader girl. Not the pregnant one. The other one. (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3529987/)

Fezzik
10-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Three KC numbers? Yes please.

I loved her in this, and loved the episode pretty much all the way through.

The counter-cut duet of her and Lea Michelle on "Maybe This Time" nearly made my head explode from the awesome.

DavidSeven
10-02-2009, 11:44 PM
OK, this was their comeback episode. Agree that it was the best episode since the pilot. Glad I decided to give it more time. Glee, you have my attention back.

number8
10-03-2009, 12:51 AM
OK, this was their comeback episode. Agree that it was the best episode since the pilot. Glad I decided to give it more time. Glee, you have my attention back.

If all else fails, you can always just keep checking back on the thread every week and see which episodes are being raved, then start up Hulu.

number8
10-06-2009, 04:03 AM
I'm slow. I just realized that "New Directions" is a pun for "Nude Erections."

Kurosawa Fan
10-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Definitely a comeback episode. And I don't think it's a coincidence that everyone loves this episode, and Mr. Shuster's wife didn't play a part.

I haven't been able to stop singing "Somebody to Love". It's actually become kind of annoying.

Mara
10-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Emma is a great character, but her pathetic need to be coupled is getting on my nerves.

Otherwise, great episode.

number8
10-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Oh man, next week is going to be fantastic.

I'm glad they found a way to shoehorn Jane Lynch again. She's been missed lately.

number8
10-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Emma is a great character, but her pathetic need to be coupled is getting on my nerves.

It's not just her, though. Pretty much everybody on the show seems to be always thinking about coupling—even Rachel.

I forget where the show is set, but it's supposed to be small town midwest, right? Where everybody marries their high school sweethearts and never leave?

Mara
10-08-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm glad they found a way to shoehorn Jane Lynch again. She's been missed lately.

Oh, that's right! I had a brilliant idea. Jane Lynch should narrate. Every episode should be seen through the spectrum of her journal. 'Cause that was some of the best writing I've seen on the show so far.

Fezzik
10-08-2009, 07:56 PM
It's not just her, though. Pretty much everybody on the show seems to be always thinking about coupling—even Rachel.

I forget where the show is set, but it's supposed to be small town midwest, right? Where everybody marries their high school sweethearts and never leave?

Yes. Lima, Ohio.

One of the big fears for just about every character is the possibility of getting married, being trapped in Lima and becoming a "Lima loser."

The mashups on this episode were surprisingly good. I thought the guys' number was better than the girls' number, though.

Will's wife just needs to go away. My hope is that the reaction to her character is so stark that the people behind the show take notice and bump her off or out of the show somehow. If not for her involvement, I'd love this show pretty much unconditionally.

Lucky
10-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Oh man, next week is going to be fantastic.

I completely agree and predict next week will be the best ep yet. That vomit line in the preview killed me.

[ETM]
10-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Will's wife just needs to go away. My hope is that the reaction to her character is so stark that the people behind the show take notice and bump her off or out of the show somehow. If not for her involvement, I'd love this show pretty much unconditionally.

I don't know. Being with her is what has defined who he is since the beginning of the show. I can't see them staying together for long, but it's not gonna be because we hate her, but because Will is changing.

amberlita
10-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Yes. Lima, Ohio.

One of the big fears for just about every character is the possibility of getting married, being trapped in Lima and becoming a "Lima loser."

HA! No way! I grew up in Lima, OH! :pritch:

I don't watch the show but I might have to now. From personal experience I can say that Lima does appear to be a black hole. Almost my entire family is still back there, including my sister who oddly moved back after college and probably half the folks I graduated with became townies. I got out when I could and don't intend to move back. It's not a super small town but it's pretty uninteresting. I wonder how they even knew about it to pick it.

Kurosawa Fan
10-09-2009, 12:31 AM

I'm in complete agreement, though I think ETM is right, and that the audience reaction will have nothing to do with her leaving the show. The ratings are solid enough, and consistent enough thus far, that they know people are sticking around regardless and they can take their time with it.

number8
10-09-2009, 12:57 AM
Isn't the whole point of her character is that she's annoying and Will subconsciously wants her to go away?

Kurosawa Fan
10-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Isn't the whole point of her character is that she's annoying and Will subconsciously wants her to go away?

Yes, I think you're right, but when she's so annoying that she makes me want to stop watching, it becomes a problem. And she has definitely hit that territory. Like I said, it's no coincidence that the episode that everyone loved more than any other since the pilot was the episode in which she made zero appearances.

[ETM]
10-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Some really good thoughts and criticisms of the show:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33296717/ns/entertainment-television/

I agree with most of it.

Acapelli
10-15-2009, 02:00 AM
the end of this week's episode was depressing as hell

number8
10-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Man, who directed this episode? It was fast-moving and really energetic for most of it. I was pretty impressed.

Pretty emotional closing number.

Fezzik
10-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Man, who directed this episode? It was fast-moving and really energetic for most of it. I was pretty impressed.

Pretty emotional closing number.

Indeed. Very good episode, and a truly genuine emotional note there at the end.

Jane Lynch was freaking amazing in this one.

Favorite line: "Listen to us Sue, we're even arguing in our voiceovers!" :lol:

The staging of Quinn's "You keep me hanging on" was pretty nice, too - I love that they had her sing part of it through the window of Sue's office - pleading to "be let go" to have a new start, but still not courageous enough to do it to Sue's face.

Mara
10-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Quinn with her hair down and out of her cheerleading outfit looked like an entirely different girl. Actually a touching moment at the end, there.

More Emma next week pls.

Mara
10-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Oh, and.

I thought the musical moments with "O Fortuna" worked very well, but Quinn's solo didn't work at all. The story of the song didn't fit her situation at all.

I'm glad that the writers realize that Jane Lynch is the strongest part of the show. She's terrific as usual.

Lucky
10-16-2009, 12:21 AM
I'm glad that the writers realize that Jane Lynch is the strongest part of the show. She's terrific as usual.

I don't think a single person would argue that fact.

Quinn Fabray looks like the lovechild of Scarlett Johansson and Britney Spears (circa her debut). Needless to say, I have a mad schoolboy crush on her.

I'm starting to firmly believe that the actor who plays Finn was a poor casting choice. He's bland and cannot even seem to sing that well without a liberal dose of AutoTune.

You know what else really bothers me? That the Asian girl has to stutter every. line.

Spinal
10-16-2009, 12:39 AM
I don't think a single person would argue that fact.

I would. Lea Michele is the strongest part of the show.

Lucky
10-16-2009, 01:31 AM
She is quite good, no doubt. Much better than her male lead equivalent. The actual character is probably to blame, but I can't shake the feeling that there are other actresses out there who could play the part just as well. I haven't seen anything yet that strikes her as truly unique.

To replace Jane Lynch in that role just could not be done. No actress out there has her flavor of comic timing.

Spinal
10-16-2009, 04:09 AM
She is quite good, no doubt. Much better than her male lead equivalent. The actual character is probably to blame, but I can't shake the feeling that there are other actresses out there who could play the part just as well. I haven't seen anything yet that strikes her as truly unique.

Her voice? Seriously, listen to her voice on the last number of the most recent show. Irreplaceable.

Just caught up with the last couple episodes. The false pregnancy storyline is intensely, aggressively stupid. Idiotic.

Kurosawa Fan
10-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Her voice? Seriously, listen to her voice on the last number of the most recent show. Irreplaceable.

Just caught up with the last couple episodes. The false pregnancy storyline is intensely, aggressively stupid. Idiotic.

Absolutely. Lea Michelle is the backbone of the show. Jane Lynch is hilarious, and losing her would probably have me tuning out as well, but it isn't the same as losing a lead as talented as Michelle.

And another absolutely for the false pregnancy. It's ridiculous. They need to stop. Now. There's no way he wouldn't have figured this out by now, and the way they pulled off the doctor visit... even soap opera writers are shaking their head at that one.

But I do agree with Lucky in that the part of Finn should have been given to someone with a much stronger voice. When Lea joins in on a song, he just disappears. I'm not saying he has to have her level of pipes, but his voice seems so strained, like he's giving it all he's got, and too often it just sounds limp.

Mara
10-16-2009, 12:50 PM
I don't think Finn is good looking. He has the same squinty quality that Chris Klein was rocking in the 90s, and I didn't buy it then, either.

This wouldn't be a problem dramatically except that every girl/gay character is drooling over him. Unlikely.

[ETM]
10-16-2009, 01:12 PM
the part of Finn should have been given to someone with a much stronger voice. When Lea joins in on a song, he just disappears. I'm not saying he has to have her level of pipes, but his voice seems so strained, like he's giving it all he's got, and too often it just sounds limp.

I've worked with a music label before, and still design covers for them, and was able to get an inside peek into how things are done in the studio... Finn's voice sounds so heavily processed in the songs we've heard, I wonder if he can sing at all.

Also, Mara, about girls drooling over him - in the parody world of the show, cheerleaders wear their uniforms all the time, school paper editor is nerdy and creepy, football jocks beat up kids who don't fit in and EVERY girl drools over the quarterback.

Thirdmango
10-18-2009, 12:54 AM
I'm starting to get to the point of procrastinating watching this which is for other people the point when they stop watching all together. It just feels like it jumped the shark at episode 2.

[ETM]
10-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Joss Whedon is set to direct one of the back-nine episodes (http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/10/19/glee-exclusive-joss-whedon-to-direct/).

*cue "Whedon-curse strikes Glee, soon to be canceled" internet backlash*

Wryan
10-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Should we really expect the quarterback to have a voice that matches the female lead? Even in this universe? C'mon. He's alright for what and who he is.

Qrazy
10-19-2009, 09:26 PM
I don't particularly care for Lea Michelle's voice or singing style at all. She has range but I don't think her voice itself is all that special.

I much prefer April Rhodes and probably even Mercedes.

I'd like to hear fantasy solos from the non-Glee kids though. The principal or Emma could sing for instance.

number8
10-19-2009, 10:00 PM
NPH and Felicia Day guesting. Come on, Joss.

Mara
10-19-2009, 10:58 PM
I'd like to hear fantasy solos from the non-Glee kids though. The principal or Emma could sing for instance.

VICTOR GARBER!

Fezzik
10-21-2009, 02:21 PM
I don't particularly care for Lea Michelle's voice or singing style at all. She has range but I don't think her voice itself is all that special.

I much prefer April Rhodes and probably even Mercedes.

Emma does get to sing at least once. One of the songs on the upcoming album is her rendition of "I Could Have Danced All Night" from My Fair Lady.

Fezzik
10-21-2009, 02:22 PM
NPH and Felicia Day guesting. Come on, Joss.

If this happened, I'd have the biggest geeksplosion of my life.

Mara
10-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Emma does get to sing at least once. One of the songs on the upcoming album is her rendition of "I Could Have Danced All Night" from My Fair Lady.

Oh really? That's interesting to note for two reasons:

1. I didn't know she could sing.

2. That's a very romantic, swoony, when-he-took-me-in-his-arms sort of song, and implies an intriguing shift in that relationship.

Fezzik
10-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Oh really? That's interesting to note for two reasons:

1. I didn't know she could sing.

2. That's a very romantic, swoony, when-he-took-me-in-his-arms sort of song, and implies an intriguing shift in that relationship.

I didn't know she could sing, either...

as for #2 - i believe this occurs after Will teaches her to dance so she can do her slow dance at the wedding, or something similar.

Mara
10-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Either way, the song's in my head for the rest of the day now. What a fun song to sing.

The urge to belt the "I... ONLY... KNOW... WHEN HE! BEGAN TO DANCE... WITH ME!" part is very strong, but I am inhibited by my office-mate and bronchitis.

Mara
10-21-2009, 02:37 PM
This may not need to be said, because of my full-frontal nerdity, but I so prefer when they sing songs from musicals to all the pop and hip hop songs.

Fezzik
10-21-2009, 02:43 PM
This may not need to be said, because of my full-frontal nerdity, but I so prefer when they sing songs from musicals to all the pop and hip hop songs.

I agree, though I really like the moments when they take a popular song and actually make it better. Lea's rendition of Rihanna's "Take a Bow" still blows me away.

Mara
10-21-2009, 03:10 PM
If this happened, I'd have the biggest geeksplosion of my life.

Felicia Day could probably get on, but I'm not sure CBS would be thrilled to have their guy on ABC.

Mara
10-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Felicia Day could probably get on, but I'm not sure CBS would be thrilled to have their guy on ABC.

Castle is on ABC.

Hmmm.

number8
10-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Um, Glee is on FOX.

Kurosawa Fan
10-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Um, Glee is on FOX.

I was just about to point this out.

Mara
10-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Um, Glee is on FOX.

Since when?

No, I was seriously confused. I was absolutely sure it was on ABC.

Odd. I almost always know what shows are on what networks.

Kurosawa Fan
10-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Since when?

No, I was seriously confused. I was absolutely sure it was on ABC.

Odd. I almost always know what shows are on what networks.

Nope, it's always been on FOX.

Mara
10-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I'm kinda embarassed now.

Kurosawa Fan
10-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I'm kinda embarassed now.

Can Alan Tudyk sing?

Mara
10-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Can Alan Tudyk sing?

Per Wikipedia:

In 1999, Tudyk made his Broadway debut in Epic Proportions. He was also in Wonder of the World, The Most Fabulous Story Ever Told, Misalliance, Oedipus and Bunny Bunny.[3] Tudyk was in Spamalot in 2005, from June to December, filling in for Hank Azaria and starred in a limited run of Prelude to a Kiss on Broadway.

So... I would assume...

Mara
10-21-2009, 04:04 PM
I have this odd instinct that Harry Lennix could sing, and that it's something I'd want to hear.

Lucky
10-22-2009, 02:07 AM

You called that one. I also liked Noah's rendition of "Sweet Caroline." And the swing dancing.

number8
10-22-2009, 04:44 AM
I liked the numbers in this episode, but I don't understand why the football guys do nothing about the slushee to the face. Um, they're football guys? Why take any shit?

Also, what a stupid conflict with that showdown. What, is the football team going to play without their QB? Ken himself said that they can't win without Finn.

Mara
10-22-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm ten minutes in and I'm CHOKING ON MY POPCORN.

1. Will is so hot I'm falling out of my chair. It's downright naughty.

2. The Thong Song is funny, all by itself.

2. Emma's dress!

Mara
10-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Finished. Good episode.

Jane Lynch was great, and actually looked fantastic in her zoot suit.

As for Finn, I am completely over that piss-pants. Although he did have a couple good lines (about zombie virus and John Connor, specifically.)

I really don't want the marriage between Emma and the coach to go through. I can see the drama potential, I just don't want it to happen.

Will is the hottest guy on the show, and Noah is number two. There is no number three.

number8
10-22-2009, 06:15 PM
I kept thinking that line would've been way funnier if he actually said John Connor and not "that kid from the Terminator movies."

number8
10-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Hahahaha:

http://twitter.com/NeilDiamond/status/5062337779

Yes, it's really him.

[ETM]
10-22-2009, 08:59 PM
I kept thinking that line would've been way funnier if he actually said John Connor and not "that kid from the Terminator movies."

Could it be that the name is trademarked yet he can mention the film?

And I agree.

number8
10-22-2009, 09:03 PM
;212775']Could it be that the name is trademarked yet he can mention the film?

And I agree.

I don't think it works like that. Plus, Sarah Connor Chronicles is also FOX.

number8
10-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Right, so everybody's been complaining about the autotune and overproducing of the songs, right. I don't really mind that at all, but I am missing the chorus element. The songs have been band-instrument heavy lately. I want more acapellaing and beatboxing. So far they haven't surpassed "Don't Stop Believing" in the pilot in terms of a good combination of both.

[ETM]
10-22-2009, 09:13 PM
I don't think it works like that.

Me neither. But I choose that over "They might not get it".

EyesWideOpen
10-23-2009, 02:10 AM
That was probably my favorite episode so far. No wife, Emma looking hot in her "final" dress and Noah outsinging Finn.

Qrazy
10-23-2009, 05:22 AM
I agree with the criticism that the show is becoming redundant. Enough with this will Glee survive crap. They have their team now so get on with it. It would be nice to see them struggling and trying to work towards putting their act together for sectionals. The problem as has been noted though is that the show does/did not successfully draw a distinction between fantasy songs and real songs. It's perfectly fine to have slick numbers for fantasy songs but when the kids are singing perfectly their first time on a real song it's both absurd and robs the show of any purpose. We need to see their progression from mediocre to excellent. If there's no struggle, there's nothing at stake. Instead of mining the same love triangles and repeating the same basic story each episode (will Glee survive!?) the show needs to dive into unexplored territory. I enjoyed the Acafellas tangent quite a bit for this reason. I mean this is a high school, there have to be more teachers than the handful we've been introduced to. Alternatively dive into the kid's home life a bit more. I don't know, there's got to be more angles.

Spinal
10-23-2009, 05:26 AM
Only halfway through this episode, but I'm pausing to say that "Sweet Caroline" is the best number I've seen since the pilot. What a great moment. Earnest, motivated, a familiar song with new flavor. Yes.

Spinal
10-23-2009, 05:53 AM
The glee club teacher has better form throwing a football than the starting quarterback. Odd.

number8
10-23-2009, 06:03 AM
The glee club teacher has better form throwing a football than the starting quarterback. Odd.

Will knows how to do everything, apparently, so why be surprised.

number8
10-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Oh wow. Hey Mara, did you know that Matt Morrison was the original Link in the Hairspray Broadway?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rlp1zrBl4g

Spinal
10-23-2009, 06:13 AM
Will knows how to do everything, apparently, so why be surprised.

Ha. Good point. Can't wait for the episode where he fills in teaching the cheerleading squad while Sue is laid up with a back injury or something.

Mara
10-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Oh wow. Hey Mara, did you know that Matt Morrison was the original Link in the Hairspray Broadway?

I am so clicking that as soon as my office mate isn't watching. I bet he was a thousand times better than whats-his-name from the film.

Wryan
10-23-2009, 01:28 PM
I am so clicking that as soon as my office mate isn't watching. I bet he was a thousand times better than whats-his-name from the film.

Hey whoa now. Can't be dissing Zac Efron, now can you?

Mara
10-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Hey whoa now. Can't be dissing Zac Efron, now can you?

Yes, HIM. The blue-eyed boy-girl.

Wryan
10-23-2009, 01:35 PM

Ha, I just watched this. Clearly the best part was the enormous, awesome black woman in the Queen Latifah role (sorry I don't know the character name).

[ETM]
10-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Yes, HIM. The blue-eyed boy-girl.

Funny you should say that... here's Felicia Day in her Zac Efron Halloween costume:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/sf_anime/4036298916_84b517b573_o.jpg

number8
10-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Hey, cool, Chenowith is coming back.

Thirdmango
10-30-2009, 01:02 AM
It's taking me as long to get around to watching this show as it is to watching each new episode of Heroes. I'm more excited to watch each week's Gossip Girl then I am Glee. They tanked so hard for me with how fast and sloppy the stories have been.

[ETM]
10-30-2009, 01:18 AM
GLEE's "Don't Stop Believin'" is now a gold record, with 2,000,000 downloads (http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/10/29/glee%e2%80%99s-dont-stop-believin-goes-gold/31989)

Acapelli
11-12-2009, 02:00 AM
this has been my favorite episode yet, even if the revelation about sue was a little too convenient

Fezzik
11-12-2009, 02:02 AM
this has been my favorite episode yet, even if the revelation about sue was a little too convenient

I agree. There were several really well done quiet moments between 2 or so cast members, especially the scene with Kurt and his dad in the garage after the audition.

And damn, Kevin McHale is talented.

number8
11-13-2009, 02:39 AM
That was great. If anyone would tell me before this show started that the most touching moments would be about a dad coming to terms with his son's homosexuality, I would've cringed. But it's surprisingly true.

number8
11-19-2009, 05:03 AM
It was pretty meh (save for Gregg Henry, who can do no wrong), but that last number brought it home. This show is at its best on moments like those.

Fezzik
11-19-2009, 02:32 PM
I really liked this episode. I like that they bounce between squeezing emotions out of the bonds within Glee and being totally irreverent. Even Terri didn't annoy me this week.

The "Endless Love" scene at the beginning had me laughing out loud more than once. Rachel stalking Mr. Schuster around the room was funny enough, but the little "asides" were even better. Puck is so random.

But yes, that last number...damn, that was awesome.

Mara
11-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Quinn's dad is one of my favorite character actors. Glad to see him.

[ETM]
11-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Probably the worst episode so far, but the closing number did indeed save it a bit... Dina and I were actually embarrassed during the whole vomit inducing "You're Having my Baby" sequence. I absolutely hate it when writer(s) throw out any notion of continuity and character development for the sake of one episode's worth of song excuses.

number8
11-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Oh, and "I'll Stand by You" to the sonogram was hysterical.

[ETM]
11-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Oh, and "I'll Stand by You" to the sonogram was hysterical.

I literally burst out laughing at that point.

Mara
11-19-2009, 11:49 PM
;218886']I literally burst out laughing at that point.

I was wondering where you've been. Hi!

Kurosawa Fan
11-20-2009, 02:09 AM
Really impressed by Wheels. They brought some much needed depth to what, up to that point, had been some really shallow characters. Watching Ballad now.

number8
11-20-2009, 05:39 AM
I just rewatched Wheels again before deleting it off my DVR. For some reason, this second time Kurt's "Defying Gravity" hit me really hard.

[ETM]
11-20-2009, 11:39 AM
I was wondering where you've been. Hi!

Dina says hi. :D I'm staying with her for a while, and we've been busy.

Fezzik
11-26-2009, 02:03 AM
Wow.

That "Imagine" number was amazing.

Kurosawa Fan
11-27-2009, 02:22 PM
This show is losing me. It's so damn repetitive. The best episodes are the ones that don't deal with the main plot lines, and that speaks volumes about the quality of the writing. It's becoming abundantly clear that, outside of the musical numbers, the writers are dragging their feet because they don't have a solid idea of where to take the story, or how to evolve the characters. I'll stick with it for a bit longer because the music is so strong, but if things don't improve I won't be around for a second season. I'll get just as much by watching the highlights on Hulu.

number8
11-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Wow.

That "Imagine" number was amazing.

I don't say this lightly, but I believe that was the best cover of that song ever recorded.

Mara
12-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Just caught up. That "Imagine" number was outta the park. And it was an unusual and, perhaps, effective choice for a show that generally does over-produced pop songs to take an over-produced pop song ("Poppa Don't Preach") and do it acoustic.

But I would have liked the last number more if they had done it a capella.

Storywise, though, I feel like we're spinning our wheels. This show needs to go somewhere.

Fezzik
12-02-2009, 06:12 PM
I've heard from multiple horse's mouths (Cory M and Lea M) that both baby dramas will be resolved before the show goes on hiatus in mid-December.

I hope that's true. This needs to move on.

Mara
12-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I've heard from multiple horse's mouths (Cory M and Lea M) that both baby dramas will be resolved before the show goes on hiatus in mid-December.

And something else needs to happen.

And is Emma married yet? What happened there?

Fezzik
12-03-2009, 02:01 AM
After the first twenty minutes tonight, I was really really hating it. Overacted, poorly executed, just horrible.

Then, suddenly, it turned around.

I really expected Will to haul off and punch Sue in Figgins office, too.

Good save, guys.

Mara
12-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Yeah, ended pretty strong. The "Jump" number looked like they were having lots of fun, and I love that Charlie Chaplin song at the end. I'm still waiting for a strong narrative thrust, though.

number8
12-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Matthew Morrison is a very good actor.

Mara
12-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Matthew Morrison is a very good actor.

Yes. Plus good-looking and a great singer.

Mara
12-09-2009, 09:17 PM
The next superstar who might be in upcoming episodes:

...Idina Menzel.

Freaking. Out.

She said not too long ago in an interview that she'd love to play Rachel's birth mother, since they kinda look alike, but it doesn't look like that's the role she's being given. Either way, it's awesome.

And if they can get Idina, they can get Taye Diggs, and then my life will be complete.

Wryan
12-09-2009, 09:54 PM
The next superstar who might be in upcoming episodes:

...Idina Menzel.

Freaking. Out.

She said not too long ago in an interview that she'd love to play Rachel's birth mother, since they kinda look alike, but it doesn't look like that's the role she's being given. Either way, it's awesome.

And if they can get Idina, they can get Taye Diggs, and then my life will be complete.

I think she's playing the opposing team's instructor.

Fezzik
12-10-2009, 02:19 AM
Lea's performance of "Don't Rain on My Parade" left my jaw somewhere on the floor of my room.

Holy crap.

number8
12-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Well that episode was pretty much just amazing.

number8
12-11-2009, 12:40 AM
Lea's performance of "Don't Rain on My Parade" left my jaw somewhere on the floor of my room.

Holy crap.

No, seriously, this was mindblowing. That's why the judging scene was ridiculous, because no matter how ignorant you are of show choir, how can you hear that performance and not be incredibly impressed?

Wryan
12-11-2009, 09:20 PM
The judging scenes were incredible missteps. I suppose they are trying to let them squeak by on sectionals on luck and make it "serious" on regionals (which they'll win...and lose nationals I'm betting), and I'm sure there are grounds for those judging scenes to have real-world counterparts. But they went so all-out in the competition that those scenes didn't make sense.

But nice finale.

I caught the episode with the Sue revelation, and I thought it was awfully endearing and got choked up about it. I thought it played into her character just fine.

Mara
12-11-2009, 09:23 PM
The judging scenes were incredible missteps.

I thought it was interesting/ironic that for everyone else this is life or death, but the judges couldn't really care less. Plus, they had the cute blonde from True Blood, who (like Mark Sheppard) is apparently trying to guest star on every good show on television.

Qrazy
12-11-2009, 09:31 PM
I had no problem with the judging scene. Agree with Mara it shows just how little this stuff matters in the grand scheme of things. The people choosing who wins don't even really care. I thought they played the scene for laughs and did so successfully.

[ETM]
12-11-2009, 09:57 PM
I agree. It was hilarious and appropriate. And yeah, there are people out there who wouldn't be moved by a song if it hit them in the face with a sledgehammer. It only makes the club's investment and effort that much more poignant.

number8
12-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Hmm, I actually had a different take on that scene. I thought it was an attempt to address the whole criticism about the kids being overproduced and professional in their dancing. I was thinking that we the audience see them as amazing, as they see themselves, but it's all fantasy. In the real world, they sing and dance as good as the average high school choir.

Too cynical?

Acapelli
12-12-2009, 07:17 AM
Hmm, I actually had a different take on that scene. I thought it was an attempt to address the whole criticism about the kids being overproduced and professional in their dancing. I was thinking that we the audience see them as amazing, as they see themselves, but it's all fantasy. In the real world, they sing and dance as good as the average high school choir.

Too cynical?
well in the context of the scene they weren't overproduced or professional in their numbers at sectionals relative to the rest of the season. they did have to make up those performances on the fly, and it was reflected in the judges assessments, which was kind of a lame way to generate suspense

Qrazy
12-12-2009, 08:56 AM
I liked that one time where they sang and it wasn't overproduced. They should do that again.

Lucky
12-13-2009, 03:22 AM

Holy crap.

Yeah, that was very impressive. My favorite performance from the season is still Chenoweth and Michele's duet, though.

Having said that, I don't think I'll be watching when this show returns.

Fezzik
12-15-2009, 04:24 PM
So...

Glee received 4 Golden Globe nominations:

Best Series - Comedy
Best Lead Actress - Comedy (Lea Michele)
Best Lead Actor - Comedy (Matthew Morrison)
Best Support Actress (Jane Lynch)

number8
12-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Nice.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks some of the Glee version of the songs are actually superior to the originals?

Fezzik
12-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Nice.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks some of the Glee version of the songs are actually superior to the originals?

Some, yes.

I think Lea's version of Take a Bow is light years ahead of Rihanna's original.

It's hard to beat Freddy's original Somebody to Love though.

And..well, I'll admit, the Boy's Mash-up of My Life and Confessions, Part II still makes me move. I love it.

number8
12-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Obviously they didn't trump Lennon or the Stones, but yeah, I thought Lea destroyed Streisand with her "Don't Rain on My Parade," and the Kelly Clarkson song was much more fun sung by the kids.

Wryan
12-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Obviously they didn't trump Lennon or the Stones, but yeah, I thought Lea destroyed Streisand with her "Don't Rain on My Parade," and the Kelly Clarkson song was much more fun sung by the kids.

I dunno. Lea in her prime seems just about equal to Streisand in her prime (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAVlk4F2qkw), but it's extremely close, and for her age Lea did a fuckin stunning job. I need to send a YouTube link of Lea to my dad, cause I know he likes Streisand.

It's going to be interesting to see if they change anything major up after the hiatus in response to the incredible commercial viability of the music so far.

number8
12-15-2009, 05:22 PM
It's going to be interesting to see if they change anything major up after the hiatus in response to the incredible commercial viability of the music so far.

They have an episode lined up called "Original Songs."

Madonna also gave them her entire catalogue to use for free, so they're having a Madonna episode. Once those old songs of hers suddenly hit the charts, we will see a bunch of other artists lining up.

Mara
12-16-2009, 02:34 AM
Mark Salling made a little music video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFClq0L9kd0&feature=player_embedded) about how much he likes working on Glee. It's actually very sweet and gracious.

Thirdmango
12-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Please tell me someone who watched the past couple episodes to the finale if they resolved the pregnancy storyline. If they did I might watch the rest of the episodes. That story made me want to die.

Silencio
12-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Please tell me someone who watched the past couple episodes to the finale if they resolved the pregnancy storyline. If they did I might watch the rest of the episodes. That story made me want to die. They did. Both of them.

Thirdmango
12-23-2009, 03:21 AM
Alright. I decided to marathon the rest of the episodes and I'm glad I did. It was an excellent ending, and good last couple episodes. I'm also glad they started using the other characters, I love the blond cheerio. I'm fairly good at watching shows week to week but I think this one is much better for me if I wait and marathon it. Plus they ended both of the storylines that I was very unhappy with in really good fashion.

number8
12-23-2009, 08:10 PM
It's really almost worth it to have them prolong the pregnancy so long to have that confrontation. I don't know if Will's outburst would've been so effective if they hadn't strung him along with so many near-misses in previous episodes--like that fake sonogram scene.

Fezzik
12-23-2009, 08:20 PM
It's really almost worth it to have them prolong the pregnancy so long to have that confrontation. I don't know if Will's outburst would've been so effective if they hadn't strung him along with so many near-misses in previous episodes--like that fake sonogram scene.

The confrontation scene was Morrison's finest moment in the entire season so far.

Mara
01-19-2010, 03:35 PM
NPH might be in Whedon's episode.

Awesome.

Mara
01-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Oh, link. (http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/01/18/glee-and-neil-patrick-harris/)

There's also rumors that Jennifer Lopez might guest, but I don't really care about that.

Kurosawa Fan
01-19-2010, 04:36 PM
I didn't realize until this weekend that this show isn't coming back on the air until April.

Weak.

Ashley
03-25-2010, 12:49 AM
Between the new promo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDLk1t47u1E&feature=player_embedded) with Lea Michele singing Like a Prayer and a new Sue's Corner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M28-Y-iL8kw), I'm officially in "April 13 can't come soon enough" mode.

Fezzik
04-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Nice to have this show back.

Finn sounded better than I ever remember hearing him. If they're still doing digital stuff to his voice, they're doing a better job of hiding it.

"Gives you Hell" was better than I expected. i don't think much of the song but the group made it better.

In closing...

mmm...Idina

:pritch:

Ashley
04-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Nice to have this show back.

Finn sounded better than I ever remember hearing him. If they're still doing digital stuff to his voice, they're doing a better job of hiding it.

"Gives you Hell" was better than I expected. i don't think much of the song but the group made it better.

In closing...

mmm...Idina

:pritch:Finn definitely sounded better than usual on Hello, I Love You. That being said, it's nice to see Lea Michele get to duet with someone who doesn't get completely overpowered by her. She and Jonathan Groff sounded fantastic together. I'm really excited about both him and Idina.

Gives You Hell was totally fun. That performance definitely goes on the Glee's "better than the original" list.

''Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?'' Oh Brittany, I love you.

Finally, Sue Sylvester + Vogue = amazing.

Mara
04-14-2010, 06:10 PM
The first half felt forced and off, but it seemed to change things up a little bit and I was feeling it more. Idina-- damn I love that woman. And Jesse has a fantastic voice.

Britanny, by the way, has become my favorite minor character.

number8
04-15-2010, 02:30 AM
There was a mouse on my plate.

Spinal
04-15-2010, 03:51 AM
I was totally first on the Brittany train.

Fezzik
04-15-2010, 01:00 PM
The first half felt forced and off, but it seemed to change things up a little bit and I was feeling it more. Idina-- damn I love that woman. And Jesse has a fantastic voice.

Britanny, by the way, has become my favorite minor character.

Yeah, Groff's voice is pretty awesome. I'm glad the chemistry he and Lea Michele built up during their stint in Spring Awakening wasn't a fluke. They work so naturally together on screen.

Kurosawa Fan
04-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Was that really the best they could come up with after all that time off?

What a shame. Outside of Brittany, that is.

number8
04-20-2010, 12:48 PM
I've been worrying that this show would get caught up in the success and start to muzzle its own storylines or cater to the demands for more popular, more current music.

It needs to remind itself that it should have the feel of a quirky, provocative underdog; with irreverent character moments (like the Brittanyisms), attention-grabbing topics and awkwardly dated songs. I like the showtunes, but when they go pop, I want Young MC and Bon Jovi.

Groff's AC/DC was terrible, by the way.

Mara
04-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Just caught up. Far superior to last week, with the musical numbers feeling more spontaneous and fun instead of obligatory.

number8
04-22-2010, 03:49 AM
Fantastic. FANTASTIC. That's more like it.

We need more Ryan Murphy written/directed 'sodes.

Wryan
04-26-2010, 06:48 PM
I liked how Sue said "handi-capable."

Qrazy
04-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Brittany is sporadically funny (misogynist line), but most of her dialogue is forced and misses the mark.

Mara
04-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Brittany is sporadically funny (misogynist line), but most of her dialogue is forced and misses the mark.

To me, it's less the dumb things she says and more the spacy, mumbly way she says it. The delivery is always gold.

Raiders
04-28-2010, 07:29 PM
I laughed for about five minutes after the journalist revealed Sue called him "Rerun."

A natural letdown after the Madonna extravaganza, but still solid. Did not really care for the visualization of Mercedes' food struggles and I can't tell how much of Kurt's side I am supposed to be on.

Mara
04-28-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm also amused by the running subtle gag that Santana and Brittany are involved. The little finger-latch during Kurt's couples song was pretty cute.

Nothing stunning this week. I wish they'd involved Kristin more with the kids like they did last time, but her voice was phenomenal, as usual. That white dress at the end looked great on her.

angrycinephile
04-29-2010, 12:37 AM
This episode was downright terrible. I liked it better when this show was just light and fluffy, intentionally cheesy and didn't pretend to be something it was not. Sure, it's always explored a few serious themes on the side but with a nice balance to the other stuff. This episode was all and out melodrama and fucking nothing of it worked. The songs were terrible, and Mercedes' end speech followed by everyone nodding their heads in agreement admiring her courage made me vomit in my mouth a little.

Plus a whole episode without Jayma Mays is not acceptable.

Edit: I forgot. Didn't the creators say when the show first got started that "it's not really a musical because people don't just start singing out of nowhere" - now they do that in every episode.

Wryan
04-29-2010, 03:58 AM
This episode was all and out melodrama and fucking nothing of it worked. The songs were terrible, and Mercedes' end speech followed by everyone nodding their heads in agreement admiring her courage made me vomit in my mouth a little.

It wasn't great, but I thought it was balanced (prepared even) by the delicate nurse's office scene, which paved the way too obviously for me to really get upset.

number8
04-29-2010, 12:59 PM
I like this show better when it's not light and fluffy. I've never considered it that kind of show.

Last ep was superb, with some great choice of songs. I think Kurt's solo was the highlight, but then again, I'll always have a soft spot for Finn singing to inanimate objects representing people.

Ultrasound, ash urn... What's next? The mystery is killing me.

Mara
04-29-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm going to go ahead and call this last episode average. Enjoyable, but nothing out of the ordinary. I did find it interesting that Kurt's jealousy of his father's compatibility with Finn was more overpowering than his crush.

number8
04-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Edit: I forgot. Didn't the creators say when the show first got started that "it's not really a musical because people don't just start singing out of nowhere" - now they do that in every episode.

Not really. They always show the music being played from somewhere and the assumption is that these people, who are supposed to be performing singers, are just singing along like most people do (I'm assuming you're referring to Will and April's Burt Bacharach number). They just happen to be amazing at it.

Mara
04-29-2010, 02:24 PM
No, there are out-of-nowhere musical numbers. The car wash number with Mercedes (which I recall enjoying) had no premise in reality that I could see.

As a fan of musicals, though, I'm comfortable with out-of-nowhere singing.

Qrazy
04-29-2010, 05:18 PM
To me, it's less the dumb things she says and more the spacy, mumbly way she says it. The delivery is always gold.

I agree with you there, the delivery is good.

number8
04-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Pretty sure that's the only one I remember, though.

Qrazy
04-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Not really. They always show the music being played from somewhere and the assumption is that these people, who are supposed to be performing singers, are just singing along like most people do (I'm assuming you're referring to Will and April's Burt Bacharach number). They just happen to be amazing at it.

Yeah, Mara is right, what are you talking about dude. There are tons of flights of fantasy musical numbers.

number8
04-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Are we talking about the fantasy sequences? Because, yes, they do, but they're like dream sequences. Unless we're trying to say that the musical numbers in musicals are supposed to be fantasies, which I don't believe is the case.

Qrazy
04-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Are we talking about the fantasy sequences? Because, yes, they do, but they're like dream sequences. Unless we're trying to say that the musical numbers in musicals are supposed to be fantasies, which I don't believe is the case.

As far as I remember the show has only done one 'Glee Unplugged' track. This is something I was complaining about earlier in the thread... the lack of a clear distinction between real musical numbers and fantasy numbers. Often we start with a 'real number' the becomes a fantasy and then goes back to real at the end... except it's never really real in the way that unplugged song was. Although when we say dream sequence we tend to suggest a single person's dream consciousness but often these fantasy sequences are sung and filtered through the consciousness of many individuals.

Wryan
05-05-2010, 12:55 PM
The Glist didn't really make much sense, or work.

Raiders
05-05-2010, 12:57 PM
The Glist didn't really make much sense, or work.

Yeah, though it was largely the plot impetus, it seemed strangely shoehorned in.

Mara
05-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Are you all sitting around wondering if Lea Michele was adorble as a nine year old? I'm here to help.

-pVxDLPGg8I

Wryan
05-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Are you all sitting around wondering if Lea Michele was adorble as a nine year old? I'm here to help.

Why do I feel like she put the gap in her teeth there herself?

Ashley
05-05-2010, 10:13 PM
I think this was actually my favourite episode since the break.

I nearly died when Sandy showed up as the shotgun-weilding dad in Run Joey Run. That whole video was hysterical.

number8
05-06-2010, 01:13 PM
The "Run Joey Run" video aside, I kinda hated this episode. Especially how it made me sit through a still-awful rendition of "Can't Touch This" just for a lame twist gag.

Kurosawa Fan
05-06-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm really bored with this show. Some of the musical numbers are cool, sure, but so much of the plot just feels forced, episode after episode. It's getting really tiresome.

Mara
05-06-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm still enjoying it, but I can't picture what they plan on doing once the core kids graduate. That's the trouble with setting it at a high school-- they're going to be forced into introducing new characters and trying to make us care about them. Imagine the show without Rachel? Without Kurt?

Fezzik
05-07-2010, 04:04 PM
I think they said they expect the show to run a set amount of episodes and no more, because of the reasons already mentioned.

This show without Lea Michele or Chris Colfer just wouldn't be the same.

So they're treating it like a mini-series. It has a definite ending and then thats it.

On a side note, I noticed Cory Monteith is performing "Jessie's Girl" on next week's episode. Took them long enough. ;)

Thirdmango
05-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I had to stop watching the show but then enjoyed it more when I marathoned to catch up, I'm watching the show again and gagging at how bad it is. I think I just need to understand that though there are many shows I can watch weekly, this is a show I just can't do that with.

Mara
05-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Oh, I really liked the song choices this episode. "The Lady is a Tramp" was a stand-out, and I really like show tunes, so I was glad to see "Everything's Coming Up Roses"... it's particularly awesome to see Kurt get a showstopper for once-- they tend to give those to Rachel.

"The Boy is Mine" was pretty fun, too. And props to Lea Michele for managing to be so off-key in that Miley Cyrus song... singing off-key is actually pretty hard.

And... "One" is classic rock now? Hot damn, I'm getting old. I'm a purist with that song, though. I just didn't buy it as a big production number.

Spinal
05-12-2010, 06:48 PM
And... "One" is classic rock now? Hot damn, I'm getting old.

Ha, I had that same feeling.

Spinal
05-12-2010, 06:50 PM
And props to Lea Michele for managing to be so off-key in that Miley Cyrus song... singing off-key is actually pretty hard.

Oh, and Brittany's approving look during that scene was hilarious.

Raiders
05-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Not sure I liked the structure of this last episode, but many od the individual moments were terrific.

And Mara, I said the same thing to my wife when Lea Michele did the Miley Cyrus song.

Wryan
05-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Damn those gays who can't act straight in roles...

I feel like there's some residual anger here at gays who can't just stop that foolishness and act straight...in real life.

KK2.0
05-14-2010, 10:05 PM
i had the impression that Kurt's macho act actually looked like Sue Sylvester :p

this series is a bit of a guilty pleasure, i think it's terrible sometimes but i have a blast.

edit: last episode was the best since the return, imo.

edit 2:

I'm going to go ahead and call this last episode average. Enjoyable, but nothing out of the ordinary. I did find it interesting that Kurt's jealousy of his father's compatibility with Finn was more overpowering than his crush.

oedipus complex perhaps? but i doubt the show would go there...

number8
05-15-2010, 03:57 AM
I just love it whenever Ryan Murphy writes an episode.

I have a love/hate thing with Kurt's daddy drama. On one hand, it's incredibly well-done, it's always the series' dramatic high points, perhaps because there's some personal reflection with Murphy's own sexuality, but damn, it's really just the same shit over and over with them.

Fezzik
05-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Just a heads up. On tonight's episode (directed by Joss Whedon and guest starring NPH), Idina Menzel and Lea Michele perform a duet of "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserables.

(hint: it's pretty freaking awesome)

number8
05-20-2010, 03:13 AM
Um, the musical numbers in this episode were amazing. Can Joss Whedon direct every episode, please?

Mara
05-20-2010, 10:37 AM
I wasn't crazy about "Piano Man" or "Dream On" but "Safety Dance" and "Dream a Little Dream of Me" were great.

And "I Dreamed A Dream" is as great as any number the show has done so far. Lea and Idina are perfectly matched.

number8
05-20-2010, 01:10 PM
I loved Piano Man and Dream On because the show had gotten so liberal with the fantasy elements during the numbers lately, and it's really great how Whedon didn't use that at all and somehow made them just as epic. Dream On in particular was choreographed perfectly, and I loved the down-low bar setting of Piano Man, complete with NPH singing into a beer bottle. I found those two numbers hilarious and, um, gleeful.

number8
05-20-2010, 01:19 PM
But yes, "I Dreamed a Dream" rivals "Don't Rain on My Parade" in jaw-dropping greatness.

Fezzik
05-20-2010, 05:12 PM
But yes, "I Dreamed a Dream" rivals "Don't Rain on My Parade" in jaw-dropping greatness.

I agree. I'd heard the song before the episode aired, so I kinda knew what I was in for, but the performance in context just made it that much better.

And I liked both the 'Dream On' and 'Piano Man' numbers - NPH can hit higher notes than I thought. He and Whedon brought such a different energy to the show this week.

I REALLY loved the flash mob tribute in Artie's 'Safety Dance' number - so well done, and if you look close, almost all the other Glee'ers are in it at some point, even if for a second.

My favorite line:

"I have a box of playbills hidden in my basement, Will...like porn."

:lol: