PDA

View Full Version : The TV Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53

Irish
11-04-2017, 12:36 PM
Over the next 5 years, it will be embarrassing to watch every major network attempt GoT's success and fail miserably.

number8
11-04-2017, 02:53 PM
SWIMCHAN omg. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend keeps topping itself this season.

Of course the ep was directed by M/C fave Joseph Kahn.

[ETM]
11-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Yeah, that was amazing.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

amberlita
11-05-2017, 02:46 AM
So fucking good. This show kills me. I was initially about to lose my mind when Greg called her (with a blissful 3 second reprieve of my favorite song the show has done) but...turned out for the best really. Good for Greg.

This is perfection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rtvwu75K3I

Henry Gale
11-11-2017, 09:05 AM
The Nathan For You "Finding Frances" finale is unlike anything the show (or probably any show considering the comedic context its still in being a part of it) has ever done.

Incredible stuff. Not sure how to even describe it, but all I know is to recommend it. Whether you've seen every episode or none (which.. c'mon, you're missing out on one of the best shows around), it's a mesmerizing standalone piece of work that runs a wider gamut of emotions and ideas than any comedy, reality, or strange cross-section in between that I've probably ever experienced.

transmogrifier
11-11-2017, 11:23 AM
But does it tie in with the MCU? If not, does it really exist?

dreamdead
11-11-2017, 09:20 PM
My Crazy-Ex Girlfriend continues to develop the layers of depression in ways that feel true to Rebecca. I wish some of the material with Maya and Darryl weren't so broad, but the showrunners willingness to go into Rebecca's psychosis and not render it cute this season is very good. "To Josh, With Love" and its wonderful take-down of 50 Shades of Grey-ness remains the high point for me this season, but it's truly delivering. Nathaniel's been a great addition to the cast.

We're also watching Speechless, which is a decent enough ABC family sitcom. Every episode usually has a quality joke, and if the formula of the lesson-learned story arc is obvious, the writers usually make one interesting/valuable comment about able-bodiedness or overt double-speak in how society treats those who are disabled. And the cast delivers the material.

Looking forward to clearing time to dive into the second season of The Girlfriend Experience soon. I expect that no one else is watching, but that first season holds up pretty well for me.

number8
11-11-2017, 10:22 PM
The ending of that episode was rough. I wasn’t expecting the sudden cut to the hotline number.

Peng
11-12-2017, 03:00 AM
I lost it at "Becky, no...", and the remainder of that storyline this week is just as rough.

Peng
11-12-2017, 03:16 AM
Also, I've run hot and cold on this show's songs since the beginning, but this one is a keeper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1LC6z8yOBc

[ETM]
11-13-2017, 08:37 PM
So the Amazon LOTR deal has happened, and it's a prequel series, set before FOTR? Potential spinoff part of the deal?

Now I'm intrigued.

Peng
11-14-2017, 07:14 AM
The cost just for the rights alone (reportedly around 200-250 millions) is just insane.

Irish
11-30-2017, 10:55 PM
Does anyone still read this thread?

Anyway, it bums me out that RT covers television now. Partially because of all the bloated opinions. Mostly because professional tv criticism is idiotic. (Seriously, how the fuck is that a job?)

I'm watching "Godless" and there are parts of it that are beautifully done and effective but, wow, it's also gotta be the biggest bait and switch between end-product and advertisement that I've seen this year.

Meanwhile, "The Marvelous Mrs Maisel" is funny but trite as hell. It's a 50 minute sitcom without a laugh track. Agitprop for the little bourgies carefully measured to fit in a 16x9 frame. Entertaining, funny... but Jesus. Politically, it's a mess. I mean, if another show did what this show does, certain twitter crix would be clamoring to string up the showrunners. But it's Amy Sherman-Palladino, and since both Gilmore girls are fucking saints, it's alright.

Blech.

Peng
12-01-2017, 04:42 AM
How is it different from professional film criticism? Unless one thinks one medium is inherently lesser than the other.

number8
12-04-2017, 05:12 PM
In case anyone's wondering, House of Cards will resume production of the final season in 2018, with an altered story that doesn't have Kevin Spacey in it at all. It will focus on Claire Underwood's presidency instead, and has been cut down to 8 episodes (probably because they had to keep paying the entire crew during this whole hiatus).

I've said this before, but I do think that the show really lucked out that they did that twist in the S5 finale. It was the perfect set up to have Frank Underwood not pop up anymore, and now they're utilizing it.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/house-of-cards-season-6-production-2018-kevin-spacey-1202629619/

Dukefrukem
12-04-2017, 05:21 PM
Spoilers?

But yes I agree.

Sycophant
12-04-2017, 05:52 PM
A great amount of so-called TV criticism really isn't; it tends to amount to recaps with a light ~opinion~ seasoning that tends to evaluate episodes on an even higher context scale than film criticism.

I don't know that I'd go as far as saying that the idea of TV critic being a job is stupid. But I think the state of TV criticism may be even worse than videogame criticism on the whole. I mainly turn to TV reviews as historical artifacts to see how fans received certain episodes of shows when I come to them years later.

Anyway, RT's outsized position in the media landscape is kind of a bummer in general. For aggregation, I prefer MetaCritic, which is also problematic. Is RT just accepting reviews for whole seasons? It looks like they're not aggregating individual episode scores but reviews for seasons as a whole--are they allowing that to be only post-airing reviews or the initial crop of reviews that tend to be based on whatever screeners the studio makes available pre-airing?

Anyway, Better Call Saul season 3 is very, very good. I love how small and petty but large and interesting the drama is on that show.

Peng
12-05-2017, 04:33 AM
I feel like the ratio of good to bad criticism for both medium (I don't count what is clearly expressed as "recap") isn't that different.

As for RT vs Metacritic (in regard to film), never understand the preference of the latter apart from RT being so (too?) famous that it encourages both bad behaviors in fanboyism/criticism and resentment. RT is MC with more functions and being more comprehensive; you can view overall stuff/looking at tomato, or you can go to similar "MC mode" by looking at avergae rating for Top Critics. And I don't know how stuff like the site-guessed 100 scoring puts it over RT.

number8
12-06-2017, 04:48 PM

Sycophant
12-06-2017, 05:16 PM
I don't think I'm okay with this.

Skitch
12-07-2017, 01:02 AM
As usual I'm probably the very last to the party, but...any fans of Wil Wheaton's show Tabletop? I love this!

number8
12-11-2017, 04:02 PM
Welp. Irish already deleted his post, but in it he said that the reason TV criticism is on a lower rung from film criticism is because there's no risk to watching television in the same way following film criticism builds the desire to see a movie, and I've been thinking about that and I somewhat agree, and that popped in my head while I was reading this:

Awards Season Is Killing Film Culture (http://https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/12/awards-season-is-killing-film-culture.html)

Because while TV has its own issue of binge-watching and explosion of content making the shelf life of TV conversations shorter and shorter, it does not have the issue of critics and audiences being as time-displaced as it is in terms of film conversations. Especially if we're talking about social media discussions rather than officially filed writings, you do see engagement and amplification happening between "TV culture" writers and fans, whereas prominent film discussions on twitter usually amount to a bunch of colleagues and a handful of festival-goers talking about the film, with most people either not chiming in or chiming in with a simple "can't wait to see it." I'm not convinced if either is good or bad, but it is noticeable.

Ezee E
12-11-2017, 07:38 PM
Welp. Irish already deleted his post, but in it he said that the reason TV criticism is on a lower rung from film criticism is because there's no risk to watching television in the same way following film criticism builds the desire to see a movie, and I've been thinking about that and I somewhat agree, and that popped in my head while I was reading this:

Awards Season Is Killing Film Culture (http://https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/12/awards-season-is-killing-film-culture.html)

Because while TV has its own issue of binge-watching and explosion of content making the shelf life of TV conversations shorter and shorter, it does not have the issue of critics and audiences being as time-displaced as it is in terms of film conversations. Especially if we're talking about social media discussions rather than officially filed writings, you do see engagement and amplification happening between "TV culture" writers and fans, whereas prominent film discussions on twitter usually amount to a bunch of colleagues and a handful of festival-goers talking about the film, with most people either not chiming in or chiming in with a simple "can't wait to see it." I'm not convinced if either is good or bad, but it is noticeable.

I've been saying for years that awards season, and the blogging "award predictors" have really hurt film criticism, because their articles basically amount to "award worthy or not," and they rarely see a movie before September and after January. Feb-Aug is a dead season.

Thirdmango
12-27-2017, 08:16 AM
I hope other people are watching Runaways. I'm loving it right now.

number8
01-02-2018, 04:44 PM
Loved the first two eps but got bored midway through the season. It does the teen drama better than the superpower stuff and the more it tips to the latter the worse the show got. The action/chase scene in ep 5 was embarrassing to watch.

dreamdead
01-02-2018, 06:03 PM
Loved the first two eps but got bored midway through the season. It does the teen drama better than the superpower stuff and the more it tips to the latter the worse the show got. The action/chase scene in ep 5 was embarrassing to watch.

Episode 9 of Runaways (released today) was pretty bad, and here it even misconstrues the teen drama for excess, pausing for sex (rather than a brief diversion) and embraced lesbianism from characters that hadn't seemingly shown an interest toward it before this episode. It's an odd move for Nico, who prior to had always embraced a goth girliness, not androgyny, as she's attired in the dance scene in episode 9. Not sure how the showrunners can land this ship if it's only a 10-episode season.

Irish
01-02-2018, 06:19 PM
Loved the first two eps but got bored midway through the season. It does the teen drama better than the superpower stuff and the more it tips to the latter the worse the show got.

It isn't a good show and I wish they could do a straight-ahead teen drama with this same cast. Because, unlike most ensemble whatevers, I get a kick out of every actor and every storyline.

Except for the dude playing the main villain. He's a terrible (and I'm pretty sure Doctor Doom in one of the failed "Fantastic Four" franchises?). All the superpower stuff is ridiculous without being fun, which is a tricky balance but one that even the CW gets right.

The action/chase scene in ep 5 was embarrassing to watch.

This is true, but luckily (?!) years of terrible fight choreography on "Arrow" and "Flash" have made me almost numb to embarrassing TV action scenes.

number8
01-02-2018, 06:51 PM
It isn't a good show and I wish they could do a straight-ahead teen drama with this same cast. Because, unlike most ensemble whatevers, I get a kick out of every actor and every storyline.

That's why I really dug it at first, but yeah. This is one of those shows where a character somehow became less interesting and likable when she got a pet velociraptor. How is that possible.

Irish
01-02-2018, 06:56 PM
How is that possible.

It's better not to ask questions. Like how somebody could writer 8 or 9 hours of a tv show called "The Runaways," in which which nobody runs away.

Irish
01-02-2018, 06:58 PM
My mantra, often repeated during viewing, is "I remember to comic being a lot better than this."

[ETM]
01-28-2018, 10:27 PM
Holy crap, how did I not know anything about Rachel Brosnahan until now? We just saw the first episode of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and... wow.

number8
02-06-2018, 05:03 PM
Some scattered TV thoughts:

- A podcast I listen to (Misandry with Marcia and Rae) had stopped updating for a few months and I didn't know why. They just suddenly came back with a new ep this week and was able to reveal that it's because Rae has moved across the country to LA to join the writing staff for the next season of The Good Place. What a weird whiplash of emotions! Apparently Mike Schur is pretty unorthodox in how he staffs his writer's room because she said he saw her twitter and just offered her the job there, and she hadn't even seen the show before that so she had to binge watch it quickly.

- High Maintenance is back and is as good as ever. The latest ep was written and directed by someone other than the creators, which is a big departure from the show usually. It's really easy to forget about this show when it's not on, but every episode I watch reminds me why it's my favorite show. No other show just flat-out loves people and is willing to give their pov a spotlight like it does.

Irish
02-08-2018, 02:45 AM
I hope you guys recorded "NCIS" because it was an exceptionally good episode this week.

Philip J. Fry
02-24-2018, 03:00 AM

Dead & Messed Up
03-12-2018, 03:08 PM
I forgot Angie Tribeca was a thing, so re-watched the first seven episodes this weekend. Sometimes it's simply misfiring, but love that Airplane! spirit where you know there'll be some good laughs in the next scene. One of the weirder sources of laughs is a street walk scene where the filmmakers screw with continuity just for the hell of it. It starts small, with a kid with a backpack in the background walking into a house, then approaching the house, then walking up the steps. Then it escalates to mismatched clothes, the wrong food in characters' hands, and entirely different actors (maybe the cast stand-ins?). It's not funny, but I had to rewatch the bit three times to catch all the errors, and the way they piled up was so impressive that I laughed at the effort.

MVP is Jere Burns as the gruff police chief.

amberlita
04-09-2018, 08:16 AM
Teddy Perkins.

Holy fucking shit.

Peng
04-09-2018, 02:01 PM
Teddy Perkins.

Holy fucking shit.

I started watching it near midnight and 10 minutes in I was like nopeeee I'm gonna wait till morning because I need to sleep tonight (just the something-not-quite-right atmosphere and dread of waiting for anything to happen were enough to get nearly nightmare-fuel for me). Incredible episode though.

Dead & Messed Up
04-18-2018, 01:20 AM
Just learned that Hill Street Blues is on Hulu, and that makes me unreasonably happy. We did some caption reformatting for the show a few years ago, and I was struck by how likable and naturalistic and mature the show was.

Henry Gale
04-18-2018, 07:14 PM
I've been watching it since it was released (and even re-watching some episodes with people who hadn't seen them yet) but just wanted to mention that the new Queer Eye is extremely good.

Like, the structure is fairly standard (if still very slickly produced), and the ways it mines its stories are pretty transparent (if still deeply effective), but the group is so charismatic and all uniquely entertaining and insightful, and the show is just so much fun. Also if you're like me, it'll likely choke you up way more than you expect.

Apparently they've wisely already filmed Season 2, but until I find out it's coming out tomorrow, it is too far away.

Also newly on Netflix, Nailed It is way funnier and more entertaining than it has any reason to be.

[ETM]
04-18-2018, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the new Queer Eye. I didn't even know they were doing it until Adam Savage, of all people, gushed about it on his podcast.

Peng
04-22-2018, 04:15 AM
Two episodes into The Expanse's third season and it's still the best sci-fi show currently on air right now. I remember people having misgiving about the first season, and I also found it very solid and intriguing, if probably too faithful/literal in adaptation -- I haven't read the books but it has the feeling of plot suffocating characters a bit -- but season two is a huge improvement and a great, exciting season, one of my top 5 shows last year. The third looks to continue that streak. The first two seasons are on (non-US?) Netflix if anyone wants to check it out.

Henry Gale
05-12-2018, 04:30 AM
After a couple of days of widespread anguish and increasing despair, NBC has officially picked up Brooklyn Nine-Nine for Season 6 (http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/brooklyn-nine-nine-nbc-1202808064/).

Morris Schæffer
05-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Designated Survivor has been cancelled. Seann William Scott replaces Clayne Crawford on Lethal Weapon, but not as Riggs.

Milky Joe
05-14-2018, 07:17 PM
Agents of SHIELD renewed for 13-episode 6th season (http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/agents-of-shield-season-6-abc-1202803343/)

yeeeeeeeeesss

Dukefrukem
05-14-2018, 07:28 PM
haa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1EAgpuDyPw

Morris Schæffer
05-17-2018, 10:48 AM
There's a rumour the new Lord of the Rings series will focus on young Aragorn.

https://nerdist.com/lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-young-aragorn-amazon-viggo-mortensen/

Dukefrukem
05-29-2018, 06:06 PM
Well... that escalated quickly.

Philip J. Fry
06-10-2018, 04:03 PM

Peng
06-30-2018, 03:54 AM
With the grand finale of Season 3 this week I'm pretty sure now The Expanse is my favorite sci-fi show, or at the very least, the best-plotted I've seen (supposedly a benefit of adapting a series of books where the authors already plan the whole thing in advance, and also have a hand in its adaptation). And now the long wait for next season without being tempted to read these books.

Philip J. Fry
07-13-2018, 12:45 AM
BoJack Horseman was robbed.

Philip J. Fry
07-14-2018, 08:54 PM

Philip J. Fry
07-21-2018, 07:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwDN8pJvW2I
Invader Zim is back.

Philip J. Fry
07-22-2018, 07:33 AM

Wryan
07-23-2018, 11:46 AM
Great jumping Jehosaphat, the Netflix Voltron series is freaking amazing! I was tardy on this one (it's about to start season 7!), but I'm catching up, having finished third season yesterday after a binge. This is absolute quality. Despite some familiarity in a few characters (a little Sokka here, a little Bolin there) and storylines (lotta Star Trek-esque exploration), this is just wonderful. Animation is great, the characters are fantastic and well-written, a lot of the humor works, and the emotion is there. This just flies. I love the turn toward internecine intrigue starting in season 3 among the Galra ranks and the backstory to Zarkon and Haggar. I can't wait to see what develops!

EDIT: Never been a Voltron fan either, btw. Only flirted with Power Rangers when I was younger when it comes to this....genre? If that's what it is.

Wryan
07-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Also, there's never a bad time for Perry Bible Fellowship, but now's the perfect time for this panel:

http://pbfcomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/PBF186-Guntron.png

[ETM]
07-23-2018, 06:04 PM
Yeah, Voltron is pretty awesome.

Wryan
07-26-2018, 02:47 AM
;593217']Yeah, Voltron is pretty awesome.

Just finished the current series run. What a terrific, well-rounded show. Lots of wonderful little complexities and nuances. And the animation for the last few episodes is quite a wonder to behold. Season 7 should be out mid-August and then the eighth season after that is the wrap-up. Looking forward to it.

I think "Reunion," where Pidge finally tracks down her brother, might be one of my favorite episodes. Really strong and beautiful.

Philip J. Fry
07-31-2018, 04:39 PM

Philip J. Fry
07-31-2018, 04:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-yHuoOEIHE

StuSmallz
08-01-2018, 12:55 AM
1024315178974769152https://i.imgur.com/f0baxn6.gif

Philip J. Fry
08-01-2018, 01:32 AM
Just finished the current series run. What a terrific, well-rounded show. Lots of wonderful little complexities and nuances. And the animation for the last few episodes is quite a wonder to behold. Season 7 should be out mid-August and then the eighth season after that is the wrap-up. Looking forward to it.

I think "Reunion," where Pidge finally tracks down her brother, might be one of my favorite episodes. Really strong and beautiful.I just caught on the last two seasons and boy, they were incredible, specially the decision of killing off Zarkon, shifting things to the more morally complex and interesting Lotor + the ensuing civil war. And what about the last episode's fight scene? It reminded me of a kaiju-sized version of a Dragon Ball Z fight, but with actual choreography, lush colors, crazy camera angles and movements, a dazzling sense of speed and more palpable stakes. It was incredible.

I honestly believe this last 13 episodes propelled the show from very good into something truly special.

Morris Schæffer
08-04-2018, 08:54 AM
Chris Rock will have major role in season 4 of Fargo. Will be set in 1950.

Ezee E
08-04-2018, 04:23 PM
Chris Rock will have major role in season 4 of Fargo. Will be set in 1950.

I like Chris Rock, but he's a terrible actor. Weird choice.

Morris Schæffer
08-04-2018, 11:21 PM
https://www.thewrap.com/patrick-stewart-new-star-trek-jean-luc-picard-return/

Patrick Stewart returns as Captain Picard.

Morris Schæffer
08-04-2018, 11:24 PM
I like Chris Rock, but he's a terrible actor. Weird choice.

Well, he was always himself, nor has he ever tried to be anyone else, or has he ever been challenged by others to be anyone other than Chris Rock.

Maybe it'll surprise us.

Philip J. Fry
08-05-2018, 03:25 PM
Sounds like a black Carl Showalter.

Henry Gale
08-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Soooooo I happened to watch all of these new trailers back to back and I'm now sure whatever slump I've had in really engaging with a lot of TV as of late is going to be over REAL soon:

MANIAC (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6cDDmk-O5A)

ESCAPE AT DANNEMORA (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVbOjP1Ziec)

KIDDING (https://youtu.be/qqeYWrR02Kw)

And THEN, I stumbled over to the full first episode of Random Acts of Flyness that HBO had posted and, wow, having known very little about it going in: It's pretty astonishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYadBZIace4

I didn't know until the end that A24 helped produce it, but of course them + HBO would be a perfect collaboration to facilitate a vision like Nance's here (especially in how pure it feels brought to screen).

Morris Schæffer
08-07-2018, 11:03 AM
Master Chief will star in Showtime's Halo show.

Philip J. Fry
08-26-2018, 12:04 AM
So, it finishes next season. Can't wait since it's been on fire the last 3-4 seasons. Including S7 which managed to somehow raise the stakes more.

Morris Schæffer
08-28-2018, 04:56 PM
My brother and I are watching Ken Burns and Lynne Novick's The Vietnam War. To say that we are mesmerized is an understatement.

Wryan
08-31-2018, 04:48 AM
Finished recent new season of Voltron. Gotta admit, I thought it was slow going at first, but hoo boy it absolutely catches fire in second half and barrels to a stupendous finish. Really exciting to see what happens in the next (last?) season. I could offer some minor faults, but the great parts are so effective it seems silly.

And ffs someone give Shiro a boyfriend who won't die.

Philip J. Fry
08-31-2018, 10:27 PM
Finished recent new season of Voltron. Gotta admit, I thought it was slow going at first, but hoo boy it absolutely catches fire in second half and barrels to a stupendous finish. Really exciting to see what happens in the next (last?) season. I could offer some minor faults, but the great parts are so effective it seems silly.Indeed. I believe from episode 6 onwards, it was the strongest stretch of the whole show, and that's saying something since the show has been fantastic for the last 3-4 seasons.

And ffs someone give Shiro a boyfriend who won't die.Shiro is too good for this sinful world.

Wryan
09-01-2018, 12:01 AM
One of the things about the show that I have a lot of admiration for is how it takes what otherwise would be pretty damn tropey elements (mind-controlled Shiro, Lotor's "Charlie's Angels" squad, "there's no way we can beat this guy, oh wait we discovered a new power out of nowhere and it solves our exact problem!") and somehow actually makes them still work. I think that's a creditable tribute to the writing and directing as well as voice acting. It knows when to use tropes flatly and when to subvert them. It's just good fun.

Philip J. Fry
09-01-2018, 02:06 PM
One of the things about the show that I have a lot of admiration for is how it takes what otherwise would be pretty damn tropey elements (mind-controlled Shiro, Lotor's "Charlie's Angels" squad, "there's no way we can beat this guy, oh wait we discovered a new power out of nowhere and it solves our exact problem!") and somehow actually makes them still work. I think that's a creditable tribute to the writing and directing as well as voice acting. It knows when to use tropes flatly and when to subvert them. It's just good fun.Indeed. It's nearly flawless at that.

Philip J. Fry
09-12-2018, 02:53 PM
I watched Final Space. It was really, really good. It was fairly funny the first few episodes, although Gary, the main guy, was getting dangerously close to a Seth MacFarlane kind of character, sort of annoying; however, he got progressively better (and actually likable) while the show became more dramatic and emotional. The last five episodes were really strong.

Can't wait for S2.

[ETM]
09-14-2018, 04:32 PM
Wouldn't have thought it, but Iron Fist S2 is a quantum leap over not only over S1 but also all the other recent seasons of Marvel shows.

Philip J. Fry
09-18-2018, 08:29 PM

Philip J. Fry
09-23-2018, 01:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWEtCsi3Eo8Anyone else watching this? I just finished it and it does feel like something made by someone who worked on Avatar: It has a rich world, lovable characters, it's inclusive and passes the Bechdel test without calling attention to it and most importantly, it has a story that's full of details and it seems like it's been exhaustly thought out.
So far it has an excellent first season and potential to be so much more.

Dead & Messed Up
09-26-2018, 03:44 PM
Just swinging in to say the original Dark Shadows TV show is fantastic without ever being "good." But it exposes "good" as a borderline useless qualifier. Part of the joy is the metanarrative of watching the actors triumph over camp dialogue and shoddy setwork and doing their best to convince us that the stories and emotions have coherence and thought. The show fascinates and endears.

Philip J. Fry
10-06-2018, 07:53 PM

Can we get more episodes savaging the Catholic Church? 'Cause South Park's latest was great and holy cow at the Catholic League's response.

Philip J. Fry
10-07-2018, 03:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulgjg4oOqaU
From Guillermo del Toro.

Philip J. Fry
10-07-2018, 03:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltUs2qYl1XU

Philip J. Fry
10-07-2018, 03:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsGMkAWB6lY

Philip J. Fry
10-26-2018, 08:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZS3nS9YLOk
Good to see this. S1 was inconsistent, but ended very strongly.

Philip J. Fry
10-27-2018, 11:56 PM
Woah.

dreamdead
10-30-2018, 01:10 AM
Been having a hard time having the time to do a full film, even in sections, but we are powering through the one-season Crazyhead on Netflix. For a British version of early Buffy seasons, it's fun enough, with a couple quips that land wonderfully, and the sort of adding another layer to the kitchen sink that still seems interesting. Knowing that it won't ever really expand its world is a bit depressing, but the cast is game.

Grouchy
10-30-2018, 11:24 PM
So did they censor Apu out of The Simpsons or didn't they? It seems they are at least considering it.

Morris Schæffer
10-31-2018, 12:17 PM
Game of Thrones prequel adds Naomi Watts.

Philip J. Fry
10-31-2018, 06:45 PM
So did they censor Apu out of The Simpsons or didn't they? It seems they are at least considering it.He's a goner, I believe.

Ezee E
10-31-2018, 10:59 PM
Game of Thrones prequel adds Naomi Watts.

Is she a Targaryean I assume?

Morris Schæffer
11-01-2018, 12:18 PM
Is she a Targaryean I assume?

She plays a socialite of sorts. So probably nothing as predictable as a Targaryean.

Philip J. Fry
12-08-2018, 12:46 AM
Yassss!!!

Milky Joe
12-20-2018, 01:12 AM
http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/deadwood-movie-timothy-olyphant-ew-400x600.jpg
http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/deadwood-movie-ian-mcshane-ew.jpg

Ezee E
12-20-2018, 02:39 AM
Is Deadwood going to semi-follow history here or just go completely in their own direction?

I guess that's dumb to ask considering the Gem Saloon was actually a theater in the first place...

Milky Joe
12-22-2018, 08:24 PM
Well it will be set after the fire which burned down the town. It will apparently be set as South Dakota is about to be admitted to the United States. It will use history as a backdrop for exploring these characters (who were mostly all historical figures in their own right).

Morris Schæffer
02-05-2019, 09:31 PM
For those that care, I highly recommend 'A Very English Scandal' with Hugh Grant and Ben Whishaw. Its darkly humorous tone really gave it an edge, good direction by Stephen Frears.

Irish
02-05-2019, 11:10 PM
For those that care, I highly recommend 'A Very English Scandal' with Hugh Grant and Ben Whishaw. Its darkly humorous tone really gave it an edge, good direction by Stephen Frears.

Seconded! Three episodes and it's f'ing brilliant.

Peng
02-09-2019, 01:37 AM
I just finished Ryan Murphy's Pose on Thai Netflix. It's not as immaculately crafted as his true-story series like ACS or Feud, and sometimes rough around the edges (contrived melodramatic plot turns, a few instances of performances, etc.) but it may be his most full-hearted series yet, which counts for a lot. The LGBTQ (especially trans) representation in front of and behind the camera is really felt, as it invests a lot of standard story beats with authenticity and insight, making them feel new in the moments again. What can run the risk of going into misery if told through outsider eyes becomes more about living in a harsh world with joy and love instead. I get really fond of these people by the end.

Good thing I happened to watch the doc Paris is Burning (also on Netflix; I'm guessing to pair with the reality show Drag Race) last month too, as it feels like a primer for this series.

Peng
03-24-2019, 01:08 PM
So I finished all of 2018 TV I want to catchup; here's how my top 20 shakes out:

1. The Expanse (Season 3)
2. GLOW (Season 2)
3. My Brillaint Friend (Season 1)
4. The Americans (Season 6)
5. The Good Fight (Season 2)
6. The Terror (Miniseries)
7. Pose (Season 1)
8. The Little Drummer Girl (Miniseries)
9. Atlanta (Season 2)
10. Santa Clarita Diet (Season 2)

11. Bojack Horseman (Season 5)
12. The Deuce (Season 2)
13. Big Mouth (Season 2)
14. Dear White People (Season 2)
15. American Vandal (Season 2)
16. Howards End (Miniseries)
17. Westworld (Season 2)
18. Escape at Dannemora (Miniseries)
19. In Family We Trust (Thai miniseries)
20. Wild Wild Country (Miniseries)

7 are original Netflix series, so that's not too bad for them.

Peng
04-16-2019, 04:02 AM
I am working through Star Trek the Original Series on Netflix and liking it quite a bit, with a few great classic episodes already. But man, Mad Men really doesn't exaggerrate the pervasive 60's viewpoint of women in workplace, does it? Sometimes I can adjust for modern eyes, but sometimes the images and/or performance directing are just so constant to be almost hilarious if it isn't getting depressing a bit. Still a good show though.

Spinal
05-01-2019, 07:01 PM
Anthony Carrigan is straight-up killing it on Barry. The man needs an Emmy.

dreamdead
05-07-2019, 02:26 PM
Amidst the internet's collective hand-wringing over every detail on GoT, I'd like to submit Barry's season 2, episode 5 ("ronny/lily") is one of the best things I've watched this past month or so. Escalating absurdity but grounded in the body's capacity to endure violence, this is one of those episodes that will be even more noteworthy if the series finds a logical endpoint and wraps up well. So many good bits in it.

Grouchy
05-09-2019, 03:36 PM
I've only seen the commercials for Barry while I watch Game of Thrones but it certainly seems like that's where the good HBO content went.

Peng
05-09-2019, 04:29 PM
I only mildly liked the first season compared to most people (but it has a few absolutely excellent episodes), but am loving its second season.

Philip J. Fry
05-20-2019, 03:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deSUQ7mZfWk

Dukefrukem
05-20-2019, 01:13 PM
I checked out in the middle of Season 2- but this teaser sucked me right back in. SHOCKED they even had a teaser to present at this point.

Ezee E
05-20-2019, 02:10 PM
I checked out in the middle of Season 2- but this teaser sucked me right back in. SHOCKED they even had a teaser to present at this point.

I'll def be watching. Prob the only show I'll truly be invested in now that Thrones is over.

dreamdead
06-11-2019, 08:43 PM
Knocked out Tuca and Bertie, which is occasionally a bit ambiguous in tracking Bertie's many inhibitions (will the subplot of her failing to swim due to a predatory lifeguard come back? Will she ever tell Speckle? Who knows...), it has a nice sense of dynamic character arc and a willingness to employ its animation to main second or third level jokes and callbacks. I assume it'll be back for more--hopefully there's a season limit to let the show have a clear concept of endgame and scale. Everyone does strong character work, and while Haddish is Haddish, it basically works here.

Also finished out season four of Halt and Catch Fire. In many ways, it's a show that's stronger for the tinkering and shuffling after an average first season--characters legitimately feel dynamic here, and the Donna/Cameron scenes were truly resonant when they finally reunited. Bishe and Mackenzie Davis are very intelligent performers and the material--while occasionally novelistic and thus schematic--can become rote, it also enables the series to be far more thorough about plot moments than it might otherwise be. It's not Breaking Bad/The Wire in terms of sustained quality, but it is a series that cared about its characters and fashioned arcs for each that were believable and empathetic toward them all. I'll miss it more than BB.

Peng
06-16-2019, 02:47 PM
There's not enough superlatives for Fleabag's season 2. I liked the first well enough but this is on another level altogether. Peerlessly executed.

Pop Trash
06-19-2019, 04:51 PM
There's not enough superlatives for Fleabag's season 2. I liked the first well enough but this is on another level altogether. Peerlessly executed.

Yes, I liked it a lot as well. In other Amazon Prime news, is anyone watching NW Refn's "Too Old to Die Young?" Amazon seems to be really going out of their way to bury it. It's not even on the front page of the app. I had to search for it. I've only seen the first episode, but he's really doubling down on everything people love / hate about the guy. The episodes are 90 mins long w/ 10 episodes, so it plays like a draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaged out version of his previous movies. In yet, it's hypnotic and stylish. The acting is about as Bressonian as an American production is ever going to get. Total androids.

Pop Trash
06-19-2019, 04:58 PM
Mad Men really doesn't exaggerrate the pervasive 60's viewpoint of women in workplace, does it? Sometimes I can adjust for modern eyes, but sometimes the images and/or performance directing are just so constant to be almost hilarious if it isn't getting depressing a bit. Still a good show though.

Might have replaced "Twin Peaks" as my favorite show of all time (hour long drama division).

Ezee E
06-19-2019, 11:23 PM
10 episodes of Refn is likely 6 too many.

Peng
06-29-2019, 07:42 AM
Still working my way through the original Star Trek, now some episodes into season 2.

For the series praised for its ideas (compared to its several sequel/prequel series decades later), what surprise me the most is that the best all-around episodes so far are more on the action-heavy or thriller side, blended in their premises. I feel like “The City on the Edge of Forever” is the one rare non-action episode that ranks among the series’ best so far for me, which tend to be excellent nail-biters like “The Corbomite Maneuver”, “Balance of Terror”, and "The Doomsday Machine"". That last one I just watched; guest actor William Windom’s tremendous performance really adds real-word vulnerability for the first time amidst all these other more broad (but still entertaining and effective) sci-fi performances.

dreamdead
07-23-2019, 03:04 PM
Gone down a K-drama hole these past few weeks and surfacing to rank those we've finished now. In the middle of Legend of the Blue Sea and My Horrible Boss right now (and will then start Descendants of the Sun and Goblin), but so far... all are adorable but the first below is still the one that's been most generous to the most characters from a dynamic perspective.

1. Oh My Venus
2. She Was Pretty
3. What's Wrong with Secretary Kim
4. Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo

Sarah and I welcome other recs...

Philip J. Fry
09-18-2019, 04:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EEnykg2WkAIGW1U?format=jpg&name=large

Philip J. Fry
09-18-2019, 05:01 PM

Ezee E
09-18-2019, 10:13 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EEnykg2WkAIGW1U?format=jpg&name=large

Has to be flattering in a way.

Dukefrukem
09-29-2019, 12:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-yas0yPbLU

Irish
09-29-2019, 12:51 PM
Holy shit, is that actually out?

It was supposed debut a year ago. Got delayed a couple of times. I always wondered what the hell happened.

Dukefrukem
09-29-2019, 01:19 PM
I'm interested in the time period this takes.

Irish
09-29-2019, 02:24 PM
I wanted to see it since I read about it ... 15 months ago?

3 years in development, shot in April 2018, doesn't premiere until "fall 2019" ... the fucking thing is 3 episodes long!

Wryan
09-30-2019, 05:14 PM
British effects take longer to render.

transmogrifier
11-12-2019, 10:38 AM
I'm going to say it, if no-one else will - The Good Place is mad overrated. Not us much as Shur's Parks and Rec, but close.

[ETM]
11-12-2019, 03:11 PM
It's for us commoners, you wouldn't understand.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

transmogrifier
11-12-2019, 10:19 PM
;611240']It's for us commoners, you wouldn't understand.

The first season and the first half of the second season was enjoyable. But it's turning into treacly mush (much like P&R) and I struggle to get through episodes now.

[ETM]
11-13-2019, 08:25 AM
I haven't seen the final season, we will binge it. I do agree that it was stronger in the beginning, but I don't think it's overrated.

Philip J. Fry
11-20-2019, 02:18 PM
And now I just rewatched the devastating Love's Labor Lost

[ETM]
12-08-2019, 07:33 PM
Anyone else watching For All Mankind? Because I'm really, REALLY liking it so far.

Scar
01-16-2020, 11:51 AM
Watched the first two episodes of The Outsider on HBO, and I’m definitely hooked.

Wryan
02-10-2020, 02:46 PM
This shot of Al Pacino playing a refrigerator in the new Amazon series Hunters.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BOTMyZWU5NTMtZmYyNi00MDkwLW FjNDAtY2NhYmI5ZGQxZjRkXkEyXkFq cGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_SY100 0_CR0,0,652,1000_AL_.jpg

MadMan
02-26-2020, 06:21 AM
Killing Eve is really addictive. I started S1 a week ago and I am almost to S2. I like the characters and how twisty the show is at times.

Morris Schæffer
03-06-2020, 05:53 AM
Fuuuuuck. Chernobyls Craig Mazin is developing The Last of us for HBO!!

Peng
03-15-2020, 08:04 AM
After catching up on everything I want to watch last year, I gather my 10 favorite series of 2019:

1. Fleabag S2
2. Chernobyl
3. Succession S2
4. Watchmen
5. The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance
6. Barry S2
7. What We Do in the Shadows S1
8. When They See Us
9. Gentleman Jack S1
10. For All Mankind S1

For bonus, my 10 favorite episodes of 2019:

1. "Part Four", When They See Us
2. "Episode 6", Fleabag
3. "Vichnaya Pamyat", Chernobyl
4. "The One with Lucca Becoming a Meme", The Good Fight
5. "Pancakes", You're the Worst
6. "A God Walks into Abar", Watchmen
7. "Episode 5", Fleabag
8. "Cinco de Mayo", Brooklyn Nine-Nine
9. "Life's A Beach", Pose
10. "ronny/lily", Barry

Philip J. Fry
04-01-2020, 12:02 AM

Grouchy
04-04-2020, 02:41 PM
Isn't that indoctrination? Don't these kids have parents already?

Philip J. Fry
04-06-2020, 03:32 AM
Isn't that indoctrination? Don't these kids have parents already?Well, I wouldn't say indoctrination (the kids can change the channel, use Netflix, etc) it is more of a clear cash grab by Nick and a bit of a shame since it will mean less of Nick's original programming (unless the trade off for those NFL games is, say... less Spongebob reruns) and in the long run it would mean they would loss some of their original audience.

Philip J. Fry
04-06-2020, 03:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFX-hzL90iM
Guys, I don't know if you're aware, but Christopher Titus is releasing on his youtube channel all the episodes of his TV show, one episode per day, which I highly, HIGHLY, recommend.

One of the best and most underrated sitcoms of the last 20 years, IMO. And very ahead of it's time.

Playlist here. (https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXOuEq4OCWMvV60 EEMfflJoPBAN24HeCm)

Grouchy
04-07-2020, 04:38 PM
Well, I wouldn't say indoctrination (the kids can change the channel, use Netflix, etc) it is more of a clear cash grab by Nick and a bit of a shame since it will mean less of Nick's original programming (unless the trade off for those NFL games is, say... less Spongebob reruns) and in the long run it would mean they would loss some of their original audience.
Hahah I know, I was joking.

MadMan
04-14-2020, 06:49 AM
I just found out Hulu has some HBO shows like The Sopranos and The Wire. As if I don't have enough to watch already.

Ezee E
04-14-2020, 06:59 PM
I just found out Hulu has some HBO shows like The Sopranos and The Wire. As if I don't have enough to watch already.

HBO turned on a lot of free stuff this month.

Mal
05-04-2020, 01:48 AM
Mrs. America on Hulu is pretty good, each episode adds more layers to the characters and its set up has me excited for whats next. I really love the cast and the dysfunctional nature of both portrayed sides of the ERA battle feels well done. I admittedly don't know a ton of history regarding this era (only took one Women's Studies class that was more modern than historical- and no equal rights action was covered in any of my actual Political Science classes), but it definitely makes me want to know more outside of this episodic format.

Peng
05-11-2020, 02:23 AM
Kingdom, the South Korean period zombie series on Netflix, is good genre fun. Also starring Doona Bae!

https://66.media.tumblr.com/03392e8ad9349a2ed8094aec03d9e8 a0/tumblr_plx7x2El531vqfmslo3_r1_ 250.gifv

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IL_N1JDfZ1g/XGxTBgexD5I/AAAAAAAAA80/62MDZdbmZ-QUavSHgIYqVTt4jWbdb_mxQCEwYBhg L/s1600/kingdom2.gif

Morris Schæffer
05-18-2020, 11:13 AM
The Man in the High Castle has ended, and it's gone out on, well, a high of course.

Season 4 was really strong, and still marveling at that concept and the awesome execution. It always looked like a million bucks.

Nonetheless, as I was beginning episode 9 - there are 10 in total - I became a bit apprehensive. I had the distinct feeling that 2 more wasn't gonna cut it, that I would have happily taken 5 or 8 more. Heck, that this season needed them. They sort of painted themselves into a corner with one character, which is a pity as all the stuff with him was top notch up until that point, and so a big revearsal at the end didn't really work for me. It felt contrived. Turns out 2 eps wasn't enough to wrap things up.

Idioteque Stalker
05-19-2020, 07:13 PM
https://www.startrek.com/sites/default/files/styles/830xx/public/images/2020-05/quarantinecrewv2.jpg?itok=mnCI b7Sc

Spock, Data, T'Pol, Seven of Nine, Neelix.

Dukefrukem
05-19-2020, 07:35 PM
Easy.

Picard / Riker / Seven of Nine / Saru / Number One.

Morris Schæffer
07-01-2020, 09:21 PM
Yes, Paramount is developing a D.A.R.Y.L sequel!

Philip J. Fry
07-09-2020, 11:45 PM

Dukefrukem
07-13-2020, 02:44 PM
All time top 5 reaction

Philip J. Fry
07-14-2020, 09:41 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3RkBKedKWw
As someone who's only familiarity with Star Trek are the JJ movies, it looks like fun. Reminds me of Final Space.

Morris Schæffer
08-12-2020, 04:10 PM
Last of us HBO series Will include apparently a Jaw dropping sequence which was omitted from the first game. Mazin begged druckman he could include it.

Ezee E
08-12-2020, 07:03 PM
Last of us HBO series Will include apparently a Jaw dropping sequence which was omitted from the first game. Mazin begged druckman he could include it.

So potentially taking between the first and second game, or a prequel to the story. Interesting.

Dead & Messed Up
09-01-2020, 05:12 AM
Started watching Hannibal, and that's a wow from me, Bob.

Skitch
09-01-2020, 05:48 AM
Started watching Hannibal, and that's a wow from me, Bob.

Were into season three. I cant wait to finish this pointless nonsense so we can watch the movies.

Philip J. Fry
09-01-2020, 05:54 AM
Hannibal is such an awesome TV experience. I'm kinda jealous at you two who are enjoying it for the first time.

Scar
09-04-2020, 01:05 AM
Just watched the first episode of Raised By Wolves. I’m liking what I’m seeing.

Skitch, can you at least say watching Hannibal makes you want to cook?

[ETM]
09-04-2020, 09:03 AM
"Ragnar" seemed like an obvious weak link from the trailers alone, is he passable?

Scar
09-04-2020, 09:53 AM
;626148']"Ragnar" seemed like an obvious weak link from the trailers alone, is he passable?

I’m only one episode in, and he hasn’t had to do much heavy lifting yet. I knew he looked familiar, but I don’t think I even made it through one season of Vikings.

Morris Schæffer
09-10-2020, 09:57 AM
I watched Season 1 of the BBC's His Dark Materials.

Solid start, but overall just oddly structured. Major revelations happen within the first two episodes, there's no build-up whatsoever, it's got a lot of exposition, the alethiometer that Lyra uses feels more like a cheap ploy than this truly incredible thing which takes great skill to figure out, sometimes logic goes straight out the window (Lyra falls out of an air balloon that is hundreds of meters in the air, but she's fine)..

The cast is great though, production design looks lovely and despite featuring kids and talking animals, there is a darkness there that I appreciated.

megladon8
09-10-2020, 12:11 PM
A RoboCop prequel series without RoboCop focusing on the rise of Dick Jones at OmniCorp.

That sounds about as appealing as a truck stop egg salad sandwich.

Scar
09-10-2020, 05:24 PM
A Robison prequel series without Robison, focusing on the rise of Dick Jones at OmniCorp.

*RoboCop

megladon8
09-10-2020, 05:28 PM
*RoboCop

Yes thank you.

Freaking hate this phone.

Philip J. Fry
09-10-2020, 07:59 PM
A RoboCop prequel series without RoboCop focusing on the rise of Dick Jones at OmniCorp.https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRnNwe6C_S vXDbyrN-UD6jxYCGhjbN8TX0Uzg&usqp=CAU

That sounds about as appealing as a truck stop egg salad sandwich.https://media1.tenor.com/images/9de193d6f6b3c9a870398cf47ef8ba 37/tenor.gif?itemid=5860624

Morris Schæffer
09-10-2020, 09:20 PM
Started watching Cobra Kai. It's really outstanding.

amberlita
09-11-2020, 03:43 AM
Started watching Cobra Kai. It's really outstanding.

I did too. It's awkward and cheesy as hell at times, but I'm loving it. Johnny's casual racism and sexism regularly has me in hysterics.

Morris Schæffer
09-11-2020, 05:50 AM
I did too. It's awkward and cheesy as hell at times, but I'm loving it. Johnny's casual racism and sexism regularly has me in hysterics.

I appreciated that the script is smart enough so that when Johnny pulls out his moves to defend a kid he nearly pulls a tendon. Love The short episode length also.

Morris Schæffer
09-11-2020, 10:06 AM
Nicolas Cage is going to play Joe Exotic in Amazon's Tiger King.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/joe-exotic-series-nicolas-cage-amazon-1234765499/

:D

Skitch
09-11-2020, 08:57 PM
A RoboCop prequel series without RoboCop focusing on the rise of Dick Jones at OmniCorp.

Perfect analogy. One exception...if there will be experimental robots like the big bitch Robocop takes down in the first movie...before they decided to attempt a cyborg approach...there might be something entertaining there. But if its all humans then fuck off

Scar
09-11-2020, 11:15 PM
Perfect analogy. One exception...if there will be experimental robots like the big bitch Robocop takes down in the first movie...before they decided to attempt a cyborg approach...there might be something entertaining there. But if its all humans then fuck off

Dude, ED209.

Morris Schæffer
09-12-2020, 06:37 AM

Or maybe, bear with me, by sticking to all humans they'll have no choice but to write interesting characters. Maybe a parable on corporate greed. And it would have to be set in the 70's/early 80's. How many shows have done that recently? To be honest, that's thin, Martin Riggs would say.

transmogrifier
09-12-2020, 11:38 AM
Some random season rankings of my favorite TV shows:

Community: 2 > 3 > 1 > 5 = 4 > 6
The Wire: 3 > 4 > 1 > 2 > 5
Breaking Bad: 3 > 2 > 1 > 4 > 5a > 5b
Freaks and Geeks: 1
The Office (UK): 1 > 2
Flight of the Conchords: 1 > 2
Arrested Development: 1 > 2 > 3 > 4
Justified: 2 > 3 > 4 > 1 > 5 > 6

Wryan
09-21-2020, 05:29 PM
So Emmy nominees had staff outside their homes in hazmat suits waiting for if they win the award. That's how they could have them in hand seconds later to give a speech or whatever.

But if you didn't win...

megladon8
09-21-2020, 07:09 PM
Why is there not more discussion of Dark on here?

Wryan
09-21-2020, 07:50 PM
I enjoyed the first season. Haven't gotten around to picking it up again yet.

megladon8
09-24-2020, 03:56 PM
Seriously, the lack of discussion of Dark on here is staggering.

[ETM]
09-24-2020, 04:02 PM
It's a show that depends on not being spoiled, so nobody is rushing to openly discuss. I've left it somewhere in S1, didn't have time for it and it was kinda obvious where it was going, but with not much substance in characters without the plot drive.

megladon8
09-24-2020, 07:50 PM
;626964']It's a show that depends on not being spoiled, so nobody is rushing to openly discuss. I've left it somewhere in S1, didn't have time for it and it was kinda obvious where it was going, but with not much substance in characters without the plot drive.

You should really continue.

Dukefrukem
09-24-2020, 07:53 PM
I left in S2 when it was clear they over complicate the editing for no reason. Just like Arrival.

But we definitely have two threads on this.

http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showthread.php?7027-Dark-(Season-1)&highlight=dark

http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showthread.php?7494-Dark-(Season-2)&highlight=dark

Morris Schæffer
09-25-2020, 08:41 PM
Finished S1 of Cobra Kai. It's just so good, legit continuation.

megladon8
09-30-2020, 10:11 PM
The dude who plays Ulrich in Dark looks like Dolph Lundgren and Mads Mikkelsen had a love child.

It's all I can see.

transmogrifier
10-03-2020, 11:30 AM
Weekly releases of episodes of streaming shows or release them all at once?

Dukefrukem
10-03-2020, 12:05 PM
Weekly releases of episodes of streaming shows or release them all at once?

All at once please.

transmogrifier
10-03-2020, 12:41 PM
All at once please.

I'm the opposite. I like them a week at a time.

megladon8
10-03-2020, 06:32 PM
I can't remember the last time I saw a show shit the bed as badly as Dark in season 3.

There's going to have to be some kind of miracle work done here to save it. Otherwise, season 2 should have been the end.

Philip J. Fry
10-14-2020, 08:26 PM

[ETM]
10-14-2020, 10:28 PM
*sigh*https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201014/a48b5b65fbce002ec9f9c15c2ba835 d2.jpg

Skitch
10-15-2020, 12:08 AM
Hmm. I really liked the last episode of Dexter. Felt perfect for the show.

Peng
10-15-2020, 11:28 AM
Season 6 and 8 are some truly atrocious TV. In retrospect I think Dexter is the first series, or at least one of the very first, to teach me not to be a show completist. And also never to go near a Scott Buck show ever again (he then went on to do Iron Fist and Inhumans, lol).

Morris Schæffer
10-15-2020, 12:36 PM
Yep got worse as it went along.

Morris Schæffer
10-15-2020, 12:40 PM
Hmm. I really liked the last episode of Dexter. Felt perfect for the show.

That part was easy I suppose. Place him in a different environment, lumbering wood, no one will ever know.

I just felt the premise got stretched well beyond its breaking point. At which point that final episode didn't really matter too much to me.

[ETM]
10-15-2020, 10:20 PM
I tapped out at the beginning of S4, and even then it was ludicrous.

transmogrifier
10-16-2020, 07:10 AM
Dexter was the most overrated show for a long while there. I think I left after S4 and never looked back. It was grim and boring.

transmogrifier
10-16-2020, 07:17 AM
Season 6 and 8 are some truly atrocious TV. In retrospect I think Dexter is the first series, or at least one of the very first, to teach me not to be a show completist. And also never to go near a Scott Buck show ever again (he then went on to do Iron Fist and Inhumans, lol).

Well-regarded shows I have started and never finished (not always because I hated them; sometimes I drifted away and too much time passed and I forgot everything, thus I need to restart everything. I intend to go back to Mad Men for example):

Rectified
The Leftovers
The Sopranos
Mad Men
The IT Crowd
Mr Robot (I hated that)
Fargo
Atlanta
The Americans
Homeland
Bojack Horseman
Archer
Parks and Recreation (still haven't gotten around to the last season)
Person of Interest
Schitt's Creek

(It is an achievement for me to finish a series these days)

The ones in bold I will definitely go back to and restart and/or finish. The ones in italics...maybe.

Dukefrukem
10-16-2020, 01:52 PM
(It is an achievement for me to finish a series these days)

It's not you. Most TV is severely meidocre.

I think we've had this discussion before but...

1a. The Wire
1b. Breaking Bad
1c. Game of Thrones
a pile of shit in the middle with maybe a series every once in while being worth watching like the X-Files but even Sopranos last two seasons were very bad and most runs don't know how to end it all so whats the point of finishing them?

transmogrifier
10-16-2020, 02:41 PM
I've seen the pilot of Game of Thrones and that's it. I'm not sure I'm every going to be ready to face the denseness of it all, especially given that it's supposed to have a relatively shitty ending. Maybe when I retire.

Meanwhile, on the other end of the spectrum are those series that I plan to rewatch every five years or so until I die:

The Wire
Breaking Bad
Community
Scrubs (up until around Season 5)
The Office UK
Freaks and Geeks
The Simpsons (Seasons 1 to 10)
Arrested Development
The Office US

Dukefrukem
10-16-2020, 02:49 PM
I'm delighted to see Scrubs on your list. I don't know why that show gets hate. It's quick paced, witty and enjoyable.

Ezee E
10-16-2020, 03:47 PM
Started to watch Lovecraft Country and.... I don't know... Seems like I should love it, but seems so predictable.

[ETM]
10-18-2020, 09:55 PM
I'm delighted to see Scrubs on your list. I don't know why that show gets hate. It's quick paced, witty and enjoyable.Three seasons are amazing, the rest is depressingly bad. The usual.

We're currently rewatching Community, now on S5. So, so good.

Philip J. Fry
10-20-2020, 03:26 PM

lol History Channel.

Dukefrukem
10-20-2020, 04:42 PM
I feel bad for that guy. He's probably not a white supremist and the 88 probably does stand for the year 1988, but boy is he getting slammed on twitter. That Trey guy is a moron. He just picked the first four images he found on Google Image search.

I had a friend with tattoos all over her body. She had a swastika (not a sideways swastika ) in Buddhist stylish, that represented eternity (or infinity) can't remember. But no one knows the history of where the swa came from other than Nazi. So she would get assaulted regularly until she tattooed over it.

Irish
10-20-2020, 10:25 PM
Tattoo artists aren't dumb. They know this shit better than most. There's no way to get tatts like that at a reputable shop, because reputable shops refuse to do them.

The "88" is a huge tell. That would be enough to motivate me to stay far the fuck away from this guy. The "23/16" and "Homegrown" just make it worse.

People are saying all sorts of shit on twitter so I don't know what's true but apparently this dude used to be a tattooist (lol) and his father was alive in 2002 (double lol).

I had a friend with tattoos all over her body. She had a swastika (not a sideways swastika ) in Buddhist stylish, that represented eternity (or infinity) can't remember. But no one knows the history of where the swa came from other than Nazi. So she would get assaulted regularly until she tattooed over it.

I dare you to go to your tattooist and tell them you want a "Buddhist swastika" in a visible place. See what they say.

[ETM]
10-21-2020, 12:10 AM
What Irish said. There has been so much awareness about the way right wing extremists and Nazis put emphasis on communicating through symbols that are far from obvious that when you see it it is not a coincidence.

Skitch
10-21-2020, 12:28 AM
I'm delighted to see Scrubs on your list. I don't know why that show gets hate. It's quick paced, witty and enjoyable.

It had a great ending then went on like two more seasons. Still, hilarious show. Wife and I went through it with both newborns lol

Ezee E
10-21-2020, 04:28 AM
I really have no empathy for someone going in for a Buddhist Swastika and expecting a Buddhist reaction.

Dukefrukem
10-21-2020, 11:55 AM
I dare you to go to your tattooist and tell them you want a "Buddhist swastika" in a visible place. See what they say.

You're not wrong. The tattoo artists I work with don't even tattoo the back of hands if the clients are unaware of their consequences.

If all that shit on twitter is true, fuck that guy.

Morris Schæffer
10-27-2020, 02:25 PM
Netflix is prepping a live action Assassin's Creed show.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/assassins-creed-live-action-series-netflix/

megladon8
10-30-2020, 07:49 PM
Netflix is prepping a live action Assassin's Creed show.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/assassins-creed-live-action-series-netflix/

Yet another Netflix product no one wanted!

Meanwhile they cancel successful shows because they don't continue growing, even if they're the top show on thr service.

Netflix is the bane of film as art.

Ezee E
10-30-2020, 09:09 PM
Ever think MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL could form together a streaming package that would revolutionize sports and completely cut out ESPN/Networks? I'm sure there's billions and billions of reasons why they wouldn't do that, but how much would you reasonably pay to have all four of those sports on a streaming service, navigate at your own will, and have other programming?

Maybe an insane partnership with ESPN/ABC (which is Disney, right?) would be the only possible way of that happening.

Philip J. Fry
11-10-2020, 11:10 PM

Philip J. Fry
11-17-2020, 04:57 PM

Philip J. Fry
11-17-2020, 11:29 PM

Philip J. Fry
11-28-2020, 01:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDLdeJpT5As

Morris Schæffer
12-11-2020, 01:09 PM
Hayden Christensen returns for SW Obi wan.

StuSmallz
12-20-2020, 09:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDLdeJpT5AsHey Phil, I couldn't help but notice that you seem to be watching The Shield for the first time, which is one of my favorite shows of all time; what do you think about it so far? Remember, it really starts kicking things up a notch in Season 4!

Morris Schæffer
01-06-2021, 09:35 AM
Clancy Brown will be the villain in Dexter's new season

He'll play Kurt Caldwell, the unofficial mayor of the small town of Iron Lake. Here's the show's official description of him. "He realized the American dream by going from driving big rigs, just like his father did, to now owning several trucks and the local truck stop. Powerful, generous, loved by everyone — he’s a true man of the people. If he’s got your back, consider yourself blessed. But should you cross Kurt, or hurt anyone that he cares for, God help you..."

Philip J. Fry
01-10-2021, 08:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc8UtDqGPQc
By Michelle McClaren (Breaking Bad)

Morris Schæffer
01-17-2021, 10:38 AM
Director Found for HBO's the last of us. Someone called Kantemir Bagalov.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/last-of-us-hbo-series-finds-its-director-with-beanpole-filmmaker-exclusive

Idioteque Stalker
01-18-2021, 06:48 PM
Director Found for HBO's the last of us. Someone called Kantemir Bagalov.

Looks like I'll be checking out Beanpole soon.

Philip J. Fry
01-20-2021, 03:07 AM
Hey Phil, I couldn't help but notice that you seem to be watching The Shield for the first time, which is one of my favorite shows of all time; what do you think about it so far? Remember, it really starts kicking things up a notch in Season 4!Sorry for not answering before, hadn't seen this post.

Anyway, I was thoroughly impressed. While, as you said, is in season 4 when it begins to really run at full steam (and holy hit, that last season), the first three seasons are still electric and captivating from the get go, which shows one of the show's main strengths: it's consistency. The Shield is one of those rare shows I can recall that don't have a single bad episode, let alone season and to boot, had it's very best season last and had probably the best final episode I've seen; it was also very consistent with it's characterizations, I mean, even if the characters changed (and they changed a lot), none of their actions ever really felt forced, they always felt in character. And visually speaking, it had one of the best uses of the guerrilla style of filmmaking, both for how it fit Farmington's setting and how it was staged: it was never confused and didn't feel gimmicky.

And thematically, like The Wire, it's one of those shows that feel more and more relevant with the passing of the years. Among our merry band of corrupt cops I found Shane specially interesting since I felt he was the most reflecting of the kind of policemen we've seen in the news: violent, short-tempered, racist and with a bit of a God complex.

So, anyway, fantastic show. I'm actually surprised it's not on the public discourse the same way as shows like Breaking Bad, The Wire and Mad Men are, it's on that stratosphere.

Ezee E
01-20-2021, 03:23 AM
Looks like I'll be checking out Beanpole soon.

Tread carefully..

StuSmallz
01-23-2021, 06:49 AM
Sorry for not answering before, hadn't seen this post.

Anyway, I was thoroughly impressed. While, as you said, is in season 4 when it begins to really run at full steam (and holy hit, that last season), the first three seasons are still electric and captivating from the get go, which shows one of the show's main strengths: it's consistency. The Shield is one of those rare shows I can recall that don't have a single bad episode, let alone season and to boot, had it's very best season last and had probably the best final episode I've seen; it was also very consistent with it's characterizations, I mean, even if the characters changed (and they changed a lot), none of their actions ever really felt forced, they always felt in character. And visually speaking, it had one of the best uses of the guerrilla style of filmmaking, both for how it fit Farmington's setting and how it was staged: it was never confused and didn't feel gimmicky.

And thematically, like The Wire, it's one of those shows that feel more and more relevant with the passing of the years. Among our merry band of corrupt cops I found Shane specially interesting since I felt he was the most reflecting of the kind of policemen we've seen in the news: violent, short-tempered, racist and with a bit of a God complex.

So, anyway, fantastic show. I'm actually surprised it's not on the public discourse the same way as shows like Breaking Bad, The Wire and Mad Men are, it's on that stratosphere.Oh yeah; one of the biggest strengths of that show is definitely how consistent the characterizations are, both in and outside of the core of the Strike Team; Vic is the bold, scruple-less leader, Shane is the reckless loose cannon, Acevada's fundamentally ethical nature keeps butting up against his overriding political ambitions whenever the latter is threatened, etc. It did a great job of making sure everyone stayed true to the core of their characters, regardless of how much their circumstances or their relations with others changed around them, and it is a shame that its reputation was never as high as the elites of the Golden Age Of TV, since its ratings weren't too great after it had been on for a while, but it's still one of the greatest shows I've ever seen anyway, as far as I'm concerned.

Philip J. Fry
01-28-2021, 09:37 PM
Oh yeah; one of the biggest strengths of that show is definitely how consistent the characterizations are, both in and outside of the core of the Strike Team; Vic is the bold, scruple-less leader, Shane is the reckless loose cannon, Acevada's fundamentally ethical nature keeps butting up against his overriding political ambitions whenever the latter is threatened, etc. It did a great job of making sure everyone stayed true to the core of their characters, regardless of how much their circumstances or their relations with others changed around them, and it is a shame that its reputation was never as high as the elites of the Golden Age Of TV, since its ratings weren't too great after it had been on for a while, but it's still one of the greatest shows I've ever seen anyway, as far as I'm concerned.Word.

Philip J. Fry
02-09-2021, 07:20 PM
lol

Philip J. Fry
02-11-2021, 01:44 AM

Philip J. Fry
02-11-2021, 11:35 PM

Morris Schæffer
02-17-2021, 07:25 AM
Are folks still watching Cobra Kai? Just finished season 3. There are so many shifting allegiances that it's becoming a bit absurd. One guy breaks another's arm, then they're friends again as if all the other stuff never happened. Suddenly, hottest babe in school is making out with biggest nerd, but it's phony as hell. And the most ridiculous thing is that all that crap just bounces off my nostalgia deflection shield as if it doesn't matter one bit. It's just disarmingly entertaining. Roll on season 4!!

Philip J. Fry
02-17-2021, 09:47 PM

Philip J. Fry
02-18-2021, 01:26 AM

Glover's move to Amazon will not impact FX's critical darling Atlanta. The award-winning comedy has already been renewed for seasons three and four and, per sources, will begin production in March. Both seasons will be filmed back-to-back in a bid to return the comedy to the air as soon as possible. The series last aired in May 2018. The show's future beyond season four has not yet been determined as Glover is said to have a carve out to continue work on Atlanta should that be something he wants to do.

Wryan
02-22-2021, 11:52 PM
IMO still high on the list of the best low-brow scenes in all of television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SKdN1xQBjk

Philip J. Fry
02-23-2021, 01:47 AM

Philip J. Fry
02-24-2021, 11:31 PM
lol

Philip J. Fry
02-26-2021, 12:37 AM

StuSmallz
02-26-2021, 06:02 AM
From Heroes to WandaVision: How superheroes learned to meet TV halfway (https://tv.avclub.com/from-heroes-to-wandavision-how-superheroes-learned-to-1846282614)

Spun Lepton
03-10-2021, 03:36 AM
Started watching Lovecraft Country this evening. Only watched the first episode. Great stuff so far.

Spun Lepton
03-12-2021, 02:40 AM
Finished episode three. Always fun to see racists getting their gory comeuppance.

Philip J. Fry
03-22-2021, 10:23 AM

transmogrifier
04-04-2021, 06:11 AM
You know what ? Justified is one of the best TV shows ever. If I had to make a top 5 right now:

1. The Wire
2. The Office (UK)
3. Freaks and Geeks
4. Justified
5. Community/Breaking Bad/Father Ted (don't make me choose!)

StuSmallz
04-05-2021, 04:04 AM
1373061499002961923That seems a bit unnecessary, and I thought making Better Call Saul ​was kind of redundant in the first place.

Peng
04-16-2021, 09:49 AM
Barry Jenkins' new work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pq5Usc_JDA

quido8_5
04-16-2021, 03:56 PM
You know what ? Justified is one of the best TV shows ever. If I had to make a top 5 right now:

1. The Wire
2. The Office (UK)
3. Freaks and Geeks
4. Justified
5. Community/Breaking Bad/Father Ted (don't make me choose!)

YESS!! Justified is low key one of the best shows of the decade, and maybe ever. Margo Martindale ftw.

Philip J. Fry
04-16-2021, 04:54 PM
YESS!! Justified is low key one of the best shows of the decade, and maybe ever. Character Actress Margo Martindale ftw.
Fixed.

Philip J. Fry
04-26-2021, 06:56 PM

[ETM]
04-26-2021, 07:34 PM
Good for her!

Philip J. Fry
04-30-2021, 06:06 PM

quido8_5
04-30-2021, 10:29 PM

I'll be glad that the first ending won't be the last, but I honestly don't know how many more episodes I can watch of this show.

quido8_5
05-01-2021, 11:45 AM
Re-watched some Upright Citizens Brigade the last couple of nights. Seeing the clip below gave me some hope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK-30442RII

Philip J. Fry
05-07-2021, 10:56 PM

quido8_5
05-07-2021, 11:30 PM

Bwahahah. Gold.

Philip J. Fry
05-20-2021, 03:24 PM

quido8_5
05-20-2021, 10:37 PM
Been watching The Mighty Ducks reboot on Disney+. It is very odd to see quite literally the same characters and character arcs from Gilmore Girls being played out against this backdrop. I wanna say surreal, but I think it may just be kuddos to whatever D+ hack realized you could bait kids with the tried and true underdog formula while still wrangling millennials by Lauren Graham being Laurelai up to her old self, except with a son and Gordon Bombay as Luke (which, I definitely must acknowledge is surreal).

Philip J. Fry
05-24-2021, 05:18 AM