PDA

View Full Version : The TV Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53

EyesWideOpen
08-30-2011, 04:48 AM
That episode of Adventure Time was amazing!!

number8
08-30-2011, 01:00 PM
The reports say he is to play a teacher at the stepdaughter's highschool. I'm betting there will either be a scandalous teacher/student thing or a PTA meeting that turns a little steamy. I'm also not ruling out the possibility of both of these storylines merging into one.

GODDAMMIT, NO. I HAVE NO INTEREST IN THIS SHOW. STOP.

Mara
08-30-2011, 01:30 PM
GODDAMMIT, NO. I HAVE NO INTEREST IN THIS SHOW. STOP.

All the cool kids are going to be watching it.

Thirdmango
08-30-2011, 07:41 PM
honestly I don't believe SMG is going to be able to hold a show where she plays the two main characters.

Mara
08-30-2011, 08:09 PM
honestly I don't believe SMG is going to be able to hold a show where she plays the two main characters.

I have a few doubts and reservations, but it's intriguing enough that I'm certainly going to give it a few episodes to see what it's up to.

Lucky
08-30-2011, 08:32 PM

:|

Thirdmango
08-30-2011, 09:31 PM
I should mention, in Buffy she did play two characters, but she wasn't on screen at most times interacting with herself playing both characters. As a gimmick the two character thing has worked in single episodes of different shows, but playing the main two characters who will interact with each other likely every episode I just don't think it'll translate or that anyone could pull it off.

number8
08-30-2011, 10:08 PM
As a gimmick the two character thing has worked in single episodes of different shows, but playing the main two characters who will interact with each other likely every episode I just don't think it'll translate or that anyone could pull it off.

She's not. Just in the pilot. The premise is that one of the sisters tries to take over the other's life after she goes missing/dead.

Thirdmango
08-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Ah, that's good to hear. I was mistaken then. Above comments rescinded.

Lucky
08-31-2011, 02:10 AM
Ah, that's good to hear. I was mistaken then. Above comments rescinded.

All will be forgiven if you tune in on September 13th.

elixir
08-31-2011, 07:51 AM
*Spoilers for season 2 of Breaking Bad*

So I'm 9 episodes into season 2 of Breaking Bad now (I kind of fear stumbling into spoilers if I post in that thread, so I'm writing this here) and I think the last episode--4 Days Out--was my favorite yet. At the same time, it made me realize why I can't fully embrace the show quite yet despite really enjoying it. The episode isolated Walt and Jesse for most of its runtime, and I really love the dynamic between them two and find each of them compelling on their own terms. One of my favorite things about the show is how the series has played with my sympathies with Walt, as I've gone from thinking I understood his drive for criminal behavior to recognizing that he's quite the arrogant, prideful, and condescending prick. He really is an asshole, and one who's crossed the line more than a few times, but that doesn't mean I never sympathize with him at all necessarily (though he is also quite self-pitying too). I just think he's a great character, really, and I love that the show has made his flaws more than apparent. I find myself really growing fonder of Jesse and I he's definitely my favorite character now. For me, he is much more the moral compass of the show--he has yet to kill for instance, and though he makes mistakes obviously, he's often a well-intentioned person really--and I've found my sympathies really moving towards him rather than Walt.

Anyhow, to get back to the problem I have the show, it's mainly that I find whenever the action isn't focused on Walt and/or Jesse, I find the show much less interesting. While I find the juxtaposition between Hank's inner state and outward appearance somewhat compelling and I like that it fleshes out him seemingly one-dimensional tough guy persona, I still find the whole DEA storyline to be quite underwhelming. I'm not sure I can place my finger on why, but I find it to be the opposite of the way the stuff with Jesse and Walt is handled--all the action in between, of cleaning up bodies and gathering materials for meth and so on, are dealt with such delicacy and detail, and I don't really feel the same is true for the DEA parts. Additionally, I don't find Skyler to be as full of a character as she should be by now given her runtime. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for because the show has provided some interesting stuff about how she responds to Walt's neglect and frustrations, but I feel like she's missing the multi-dimensionality that Walt, Jesse, and even Hank have. As for Marie, she's an annoying klepto, and I don't really see much else interesting about her--I found her quite bothersome. Well, admittedly, she does have some genuine love for her family, as does Hank, but I find myself somewhat annoyed whenever she's on screen. Whatever, that's a very minor grievance.

Still, I don't want to give the impression I'm not liking the show. I really am, quite a lot, and I think the series has really improved as it has gained more nuance and lost some of its heavy-handedness that was present in season 2. Also, the rhythm and pacing seems to be totally its own now--I mean, the way the show takes its time and the way it blends (often dark) humor with drama feels much more unique. Anyways, I hear it only improves, so hopefully I will feel like I'll be able to call this a truly great show soon enough.

Qrazy
08-31-2011, 07:58 AM
Yeah, season 3 addresses pretty much all those issues. Issues which I shared with you at that juncture in the show as well.

number8
09-02-2011, 05:10 PM
http://www.realwire.com/fbank/Toshiba_ZL2_Series_Press_Relea se_01_09_11.pdf

you can have multiple people in a room, viewing the TV from multiple angles, and all of them will experience the picture in 3D without glasses.

Toshiba also quadrupled the regular 1080p resolution, with a 4096 x 2160 grid of pixels crammed onto the 55-inch display.

Goddamn. I gotta get me one of --

The press release also offers up a €7,999 pricetag.

Oh.

elixir
09-03-2011, 03:13 AM
Season 3 of Breaking Bad is rocking my world.

I just saw the episode (#7) in which the Cousins failed in their attempt to kill Hank, and it was HOLY CRAP! tension/suspense level...quite the ending. Also, I fear for Jesse...his arc this season (well, the whole show) has been pretty devastating so far :(

elixir
09-03-2011, 06:36 AM
http://charactergrades.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/BreakingBad_S3E10-300x161.png

"Fly" is the best.

elixir
09-03-2011, 01:57 PM
That season finale. Dammit dammit dammit. (And I mean this in a good way.)

Onto season 4 now. I should catch up pretty soon.

Mara
09-04-2011, 02:09 AM
RE: The Guild

NATHAN FILLION!

They are not messing around with the guest stars this season.

[ETM]
09-05-2011, 06:26 PM
I just put together a playlist from all the soundtracks to Battlestar Galactica, and doing that alone gave me goosebumps and chills. What a brilliant, wonderful show, haters be damned.

number8
09-05-2011, 06:59 PM
When I listen to the soundtrack, it's not that I can see what scenes they're associated to, but instead I remember the feeling, and that manifests in me creating my own images. Like, I'd hear an upswing swell in "Wander My Friends"and I'd suddenly get a flash of Apollo and Adama saluting each other crying, and I start getting teary myself. I don't even know if that actually ever happened.

[ETM]
09-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Yeah, that's just it - it evokes so much emotion that it's impossible not to be overwhelmed if you were ever a fan.

Henry Gale
09-12-2011, 06:19 AM
So the Entourage series finale was as terrible as I could have expected. It's okay though, I never really liked it after the first two seasons, then only saw an episode here and there over the years before getting back into it for the last season and half when I realized how amusingly vapid it had become. Their unknowing stupidity became my hilarious entertainment, but even on those terms this finale felt like a slap in the face.

It's going to sound like I'm making this up, but the show ended with Vince deciding he wants to marry Alice Eve's character (a character we met maybe two episodes ago) in Paris, despite the fact that she show makes no effort to ever show them in love, never shows Vince propose, and even leaves Eve nowhere to be seen until the last few minutes of this finale. The episode just starts with him saying they had an amazing "24-hour date" (which again, we don't see any of) and let's us know that they're getting married.

Plus, Ari realized the way to fix his marriage was to actually talk to his kids and not scream at his wife, while quitting his job and promising a romantic year-long vacation for him and his wife (whose name was finally revealed to be... wait for it... Melissa! No more Mrs. Ari anymo-- oh wait, the show's over).

E also got back together with Sloan (newly pregnant with his child!) because Vince went over to her house to have a single conversation with her explaining how much E cares about her (though the reason they broke up seemed to be that he just didn't want to have a pre-nup), even arguing that he slept with her ex-stepmom because he's just that loyal. They all meet up at a hangar and flew off into the sunset while "Going To California" plays.

Bonus post-credits scene with Ari in Italy getting a call from studio head Charles Widmore offering him his job. But will he say yes?! How inventive: A series finale with cliffhangers!

It was basically a half-hour long trailer to a movie I never want to see.

number8
09-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Sounds about right. They're already set on making a movie, so it was never going to be a real ending.

Thirdmango
09-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Entourage is the kind of show where I could never recommend it to anyone and would never want to. It's a pretty awful show, but with that being said I still like it. It's just this fun oh look there's a new celebrity being an ass, how's Johnny going to screw up his career this time? It's like a saturday morning cartoon where nothing anyone does actually matters. So even when it's crappy I don't really care because it's always been crappy. I can't ever get mad at the show because my expectations have never been high enough for the show to ever reach any sort of pinnacle. I still watch it cause it's fluff and sometimes you just need fluff while you're doing homework, playing an intense game or about to fall asleep.

Acapelli
09-12-2011, 03:18 PM
gave up on the show sometime in the middle of last season

glad i didn't waste any time watching it this year

Ezee E
09-12-2011, 04:44 PM
They're doing a movie on this?

Should do awesome, no matter what it's about. And that sucks...

Mara
09-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Having Neil Gaiman do a cameo for The Guild: impressive.

The Guild Season 5 in general: not impressive.

I'm just not feeling it. The idea of a convention is good, but it's broken up the Guildies into too many subplots, and we never see them together, which is sort of the charm of the entire show. The writing seems to revolve around guest stars and quick jokes, and has almost completely stalled on character development.

I'm underwhelmed, but I hope it will be back to form next season.

Thirdmango
09-12-2011, 05:30 PM
It's going to sound like I'm making this up, but the show ended with Vince deciding he wants to marry Alice Eve's character (a character we met maybe two episodes ago) in Paris, despite the fact that she show makes no effort to ever show them in love, never shows Vince propose, and even leaves Eve nowhere to be seen until the last few minutes of this finale. The episode just starts with him saying they had an amazing "24-hour date" (which again, we don't see any of) and let's us know that they're getting married.

Plus, Ari realized the way to fix his marriage was to actually talk to his kids and not scream at his wife, while quitting his job and promising a romantic year-long vacation for him and his wife (whose name was finally revealed to be... wait for it... Melissa! No more Mrs. Ari anymo-- oh wait, the show's over).

E also got back together with Sloan (newly pregnant with his child!) because Vince went over to her house to have a single conversation with her explaining how much E cares about her (though the reason they broke up seemed to be that he just didn't want to have a pre-nup), even arguing that he slept with her ex-stepmom because he's just that loyal. They all meet up at a hangar and flew off into the sunset while "Going To California" plays.

Bonus post-credits scene with Ari in Italy getting a call from studio head Charles Widmore offering him his job. But will he say yes?!

Just watched the finale. Couple of things. I guess I can say you were always more invested in the show then me.

They never revealed her name? She said her name in this episode? That was a thing? Huh? Yeah, I never noticed.

As for the E thing it seemed to me season 8 was just a way to give it more tension before the movie anyways, at the end of season 7 they were happy and then in the first episode of season 8 they're like, "Oh we had a huge fight and we hate each other." So now you're complaining about them not showing things but they did that in the start of season 8 for the exact same story line.

I dunno, I wasn't really pissed because I was never invested in the first place. The show is just people doing shit.

number8
09-12-2011, 05:39 PM
It used to be a slightly sexist running gag that everyone on the show only ever refers to her as "Mrs. Ari" or "Mrs. Gold."

MadMan
09-12-2011, 06:37 PM
I believe I left Entourage after the season finale of Season 3 Part 2. Maybe I'll try and finish the show, but its the same case with Dexter and Weeds: I'm not sure I care enough to do so, and there are other shows I love far more. Season 1 of Dexter was merely good, and Weeds Seasons 1 was good but I have a feeling the show isn't really interesting anymore after what, 4 or 5 seasons?

Oh and sometime this week I am going to get to Sherlock. Honestly.

Henry Gale
09-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Just watched the finale. Couple of things. I guess I can say you were always more invested in the show then me.

They never revealed her name? She said her name in this episode? That was a thing? Huh? Yeah, I never noticed.

As for the E thing it seemed to me season 8 was just a way to give it more tension before the movie anyways, at the end of season 7 they were happy and then in the first episode of season 8 they're like, "Oh we had a huge fight and we hate each other." So now you're complaining about them not showing things but they did that in the start of season 8 for the exact same story line.

I dunno, I wasn't really pissed because I was never invested in the first place. The show is just people doing shit.

Oh no, it wasn't just all of a sudden that I was disappointed in the way they dealt with these storylines, I thought everything was stupid in the finale was just amplified echoes of what I've found to be the case for everything in the last couple of seasons (the only ones I watched in their entirety since the first two). The series basically got to a point of having no idea how to actually show characters talking about relationships instead of engaging in them, despite the fact that those relationships were the main crux of what it wanted to want to be about. We see characters get mad at each other, make up, but only understand why because they say so in dialogue after the fact. So in the end, I was just watching the show this time around because it came after True Blood and Curb Your Enthusiasm and I had to kill time before Breaking Bad was posted online each week.

The funniest thing about the final episode was probably how it ended the same way Curb did. So during the Entourage credits my mind went off to a silly fantasy scenario where Larry, Leon and the Entourage characters collided. See, I would watch that movie.

Morris Schæffer
09-12-2011, 09:50 PM
http://tv.ign.com/articles/119/1193848p1.html

Hannibal lecter series in the works from pushing daisies creator.

Lucky
09-13-2011, 11:53 AM
For those interested, Ringer premieres tonight. For those not interested, watch it anyway. :)

[ETM]
09-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Holy crap, Showtime put the entire "Homeland" pilot online, and it's pretty much fantastic. I love the casting, down to the smallest parts, but can't help but wander - is there a shortage of male black leads in the US? Because David Harewood (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0362873/) can't have been the easiest choice for the Deputy Director of the CIA.

Lucky
09-14-2011, 03:17 AM
RINGER - PILOT

I'll try hard not to be biased.

Well, I'm pleasantly surprised. Having seen the previews and knowing it had been pushed off on the CW, I was expecting a minor disaster. Although a majority of the reviews had been positive, I can see the criticisms of the negative ones and find them fair. The opening sequences with Gellar playing both twins ultimately worked, but it is unfortunately because only one of the twins actually feels human. Siobhan comes off like a stock character, her ending moment even suggesting a Cruella DeVille cartoon caricature. Hopefully a redeemable character can be fleshed out with appropriate flashbacks and future screentime or this will become an unforgivable flaw in the series. Gellar fares much better as Bridget pretending to be Siobhan, spending a majority of the episode as a deer in headlights trying to assess the tangled web of her sister's relationships with the people in her life. Better yet is Gellar as Bridget, with the shining moment of the pilot being her flashback as a troubled woman on the verge of breakdown seeking amends. Aside from Gruffudd as Siobhan's husband, the supporting roles didn't have much to do. The only pairing I was disappointed in was the scene between the FBI agent and Bridget-Siobhan. I would have liked to see more playfulness and mysterious undertones there on Bridget-Siobhan's part. Having said that, they seemed to have assembled a perfectly capable cast and I look forward to watching them stretch once the breakneck speed of the pilot wears off.

Setting up a high concept show like this is a tall oder. I found the script largely successful with its jumping around and glossing over what I figured would have been key sequences. The dialogue was just fine, the character roles and relationships were presented nicely, but I could have done without the revelations at every commerical break. I have a feeling that's going to be a running theme throughout this show, too. Direction wasn't anything too special, but the sets and cinematography were impressive. There were some beautiful, if not obvious, sequences that hinted at film noir genre staples from the past. I especially liked the overhead shot with Henry and Bridget-Siobhan at the gala. The special effects with the twins were pretty damn good, but there was a greenscreen on a boat that was one of the worst I've ever seen. One obvious addition with the CW switch is the intrustive soundtrack. I sincerely hope they cut a majority of the soundtrack for score in the future, because that was distracting.

It's foolish to put too much stock into the pilot episode, especially with this one which was greyhound paced. The true test will be in episode 2, because honestly I have no idea how the subsequent episodes for this show are going to play as of now. There's no way they can keep up the pace of these storylines without nosediving into daytime soap territory. The show will turn into something special if it allows the characters to drive instead of the plot. I'm judging this pilot on two criteria - it successfully set the tone of the Ringer world and its players (minus Siobhan) and it piqued my curiosity for more. Pilot = success. The next few episodes will determine whether the show is or not.

*** or B

Barty
09-14-2011, 06:55 AM
;371910']Holy crap, Showtime put the entire "Homeland" pilot online, and it's pretty much fantastic. I love the casting, down to the smallest parts, but can't help but wander - is there a shortage of male black leads in the US? Because David Harewood (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0362873/) can't have been the easiest choice for the Deputy Director of the CIA.

Glad I saw your post because I just watched it, and it was indeed very engaging. Seems to put a nice psychological spin on the 24/Conspiracy type of plotline.

number8
09-14-2011, 01:56 PM
CBS has bought Sherlock Holmes, a drama project from CBS TV Studios and studio-based Timberman/Beverly Prods., which is described as a modern take on the cases of the pipe-smoking private eye created by Arthur Conan Doyle.

[ETM]
09-14-2011, 02:16 PM
That's... stupid.

Kurosawa Fan
09-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Here's a thought, CBS. Just strike a deal to AIR THE FUCKING SHOW THAT'S ALREADY BEING DONE FOR THE BBC. And if that's not possible, DO SOMETHING ELSE.

Morons.

Raiders
09-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Ringer was... alright. I'll stay tuned at least a little while longer. SMG was pretty darn good. The final twist was what I expected from the get-go, though I thought they would wait a few episodes longer to spring it on us. The show hit every single "dark secret" sign-post for someone's life and mostly moved along with us feeling like Gellar's Bridget, sprung upon every minute by something new. I am very doubtful the show will maintain much momentum, but hey, who knows?

number8
09-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Here's a thought, CBS. Just strike a deal to AIR THE FUCKING SHOW THAT'S ALREADY BEING DONE FOR THE BBC. And if that's not possible, DO SOMETHING ELSE.

Morons.

Yeah, but that's only like, 3 episodes a year, man. They need 20 more.

Kurosawa Fan
09-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Yeah, but that's only like, 3 episodes a year, man. They need 20 more.

Right. Forgot about the necessity for filler. Actually though, given their length, they could stretch that into 6 episodes with cliffhangers in the middle. So there's that.

Unless it's a 20 minute comedy, I've almost completely given up on the 23 episode per year format. Not sure there's a single one I still watch.

Raiders
09-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Unless it's a 20 minute comedy, I've almost completely given up on the 23 episode per year format. Not sure there's a single one I still watch.

That's because the overall quality of drama on ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX is pathetic. I think the last one that still really held my interest, House, really disappointed me last year (after a sixth season which may have been the best) to the point I may not even continue. There's still a couple I watch as it is tradition for my wife and I, but yeah, nothing in that format on those networks is particularly good anymore.

number8
09-14-2011, 04:03 PM
House, really disappointed me last year (after a sixth season which may have been the best) to the point I may not even continue.

Seriously. Season 6 was top notch and the show at its prime (how many shows can say that?) but then Season 7 was near garbage. Season 8 starts in a few weeks and I am still undecided. The lack of Cuddy is intriguing me, though.

Mara
09-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Hmm.

The first episode of Ringer reminded me of the first episode of Dollhouse-- intriguing premise, muddled execution, great cast, lots of potential. My expectations have gone up slightly. I'm certainly tuning in to see where this is going.

Mara
09-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Hmm. Doesn't look like I'm going to make it through twenty minutes of Up All Night. Arnett and Rudolph can't save this stinker.

EyesWideOpen
09-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Hmm. Doesn't look like I'm going to make it through twenty minutes of Up All Night. Arnett and Rudolph can't save this stinker.

I thought it was decent enough to give it a couple more episodes. It was loads better then running wilde.

Mara
09-15-2011, 06:53 PM
And now I'm catching up on Eureka, and I have to say, Taggart is my favorite character. I'm so happy when he shows up, which is rarely, and so annoyed when he disappears, which is often.

Henry Gale
09-15-2011, 07:18 PM
I agree, the first episode for Up All Night wasn't very good, but then again, neither were the ones for 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation or The Office (even if that one was just a stiff shot-for-shot re-do of the Gervais/Merchant script).

So I'll stick with it for at least a few more. If nothing improves, I'll drop it and only consider watching again if I hear it's gotten better. But if I quickly start liking it significantly more, then I'll let you guys know.

Not exactly sure what I thought about the US Free Agents pilot, but I didn't mind it, laughed a few times, so I'll keep watching for now.

Mara
09-15-2011, 07:20 PM
But if I quickly start liking it significantly more, then I'll let you guys know.

See, this is why I need MC.

number8
09-15-2011, 07:21 PM
You could not fucking pay me in gold to watch either 2 Broke Girls, How to be a Gentleman or Whitney.

Acapelli
09-15-2011, 07:41 PM
i will watch every episode of up all night because i love will arnett

i even watched all of running wilde (which really wasn't as bad some said) and sit down, shut up (which was)

Acapelli
09-15-2011, 07:43 PM
whitney looks like it belongs on cbs

i'm tempted by 2 broke girls because of kat dennings. but the multi-camera setup and laugh track will probably end up deterring me

Mara
09-15-2011, 07:54 PM
multi-camera setup and laugh track

Has the pilot been delayed since 1996?

Thirdmango
09-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Up All Night wasn't very good.

Free Agents was actually quite good and they have a lot of people in it who are seasoned and quite good at doing a good job so I have high hopes for it. I'm going to say something which is going to make some of you watch it and it's reairing tonight if you didn't dvr it but until I started the episode and watched the opening credits I didn't realize Anthony Stewart Head was on the main cast. He was awesome in the episode. Much better fit for him then that awful Merlin show.

Acapelli
09-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Has the pilot been delayed since 1996?
that's cbs for you

Henry Gale
09-15-2011, 09:45 PM
You could not fucking pay me in gold to watch either 2 Broke Girls, How to be a Gentleman or Whitney.

As little interest as I would have normally had for a new Kevin Dillon multi-camera vehicle, the fact that Dave Foley, Rhys Darby and Mary Lynn Rajskub round out the rest of its cast with David Hornsby (Rickety Cricket from Always Sunny) as the co-lead and creator of the show means I'll watch it.

The other two... bleh. (And the fact that Cummings created both of them isn't even my main issue here.)

MadMan
09-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Cable has actually gotten me so used to the 13 episode per season style format that I actually prefer it greatly to the 20+ episode per season format that the regular networks keep forcing upon us. I agree with KF that its fine with 20-30 minute comedy shows, but even with them having shorter seasons would be a good thing. I loved the strike shortened Season 4 of Lost because they cut out the bullshit and the filler and it was compacted, to the point, and thus fantastic.

Thirdmango
09-16-2011, 03:47 AM
Just watched Ringer. I was actually really enjoyed it up until the "reveal" at the end. I liked it better with the original idea. It seems like it could go some interesting ways.

Thirdmango
09-16-2011, 04:58 AM
I tried watching the first episode of That Mitchell and Webb Look on netflix but had to stop. The laugh track was so loud I couldn't even hear the jokes the laugh track was laughing at.

Winston*
09-16-2011, 05:10 AM
Skl71urqKu0
LOZIjWJpiBk

Lucky
09-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Just watched Ringer. I was actually really enjoyed it up until the "reveal" at the end. I liked it better with the original idea. It seems like it could go some interesting ways.

I was already spoiled on this because of the comic con trailer. That's the thing about this show - I have no idea where they're going to take it. The show creators apparently have three seasons of material mapped out, so I have faith that there is direction in the plot. I just hope it's a ride worth committing to.

Mara
09-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Ringer grew on me overnight. I found myself thinking about it multiple times, and was surprised to find myself emotionally invested in the outcome of a few plot points.

1. I want Bridget to actually fall in love in Andrew. It's important to me. This might be connected to my age-old crush on Ioan Gruffudd, despite him choosing really bad projects since Horatio Hornblower ended. Geez, anyone else watch that show where he played a LAWYER IN THE FUTURE? That was awful.

2. Sheesh, fake a miscarriage already, Bridget.

3. I also think she should tell Andrew that she has secretly been a drug addict for years and is now getting clean. That would explain her repeated trips to NA, the fact that she's not drinking, plus the changes in her behavior.

Mara
09-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Oh, and

I never thought for a minute that Siobhan was dead. If she was dead, they would have shown her dying. It's obvious to me that she drugged Bridget with that drink and set it up as a suicide. However, it's unclear to me if she meant for Bridget to take over her life, or if she was attempting to fake her death and expected it to be reported.

Mara
09-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Also a weirdly good sign: I remember the names of the characters without looking them up: Bridget, Siobhan, Andrew, Juliet, Gemma and Henry. I NEVER remember names. That's very impressive.

[ETM]
09-16-2011, 04:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/wcsbY.jpg

number8
09-16-2011, 04:34 PM
:lol:

Raiders
09-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Oh, and

I never thought for a minute that Siobhan was dead. If she was dead, they would have shown her dying. It's obvious to me that she drugged Bridget with that drink and set it up as a suicide. However, it's unclear to me if she meant for Bridget to take over her life, or if she was attempting to fake her death and expected it to be reported.

Pretty sure she planned for it to go as it went, more or less anyway. I would imagine she is faking her death by killing her sister, not the stunt on the boat. That was meant to leave Bridget at Siobhan, whether she wanted to or not (since nobody knew she had a sister and I'm guessing she planned on killing her before anyone would do the research or take her seriously).

Y'know, one of those only-on-TV plans.

Mara
09-16-2011, 04:54 PM

Do you ever read any of those convoluted, failed heist/murder/crime plans on news sites and think, "You watch too much television"?

Lucky
09-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Pretty sure she planned for it to go as it went, more or less anyway. I would imagine she is faking her death by killing her sister, not the stunt on the boat. That was meant to leave Bridget at Siobhan, whether she wanted to or not (since nobody knew she had a sister and I'm guessing she planned on killing her before anyone would do the research or take her seriously).

I'm not quite sure I follow your theory, but I think mine is similar...

Siobhan planned for Bridget to act exactly as she did. Siobhan called a hit on herself which was actually meant for Bridget as Siobhan. Plan failed. That's why Siobhan got the call at the end.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong and it's not that easy.

EyesWideOpen
09-18-2011, 05:53 AM
I was going through my tv on dvd collection and I noticed there are still a bunch of stuff that I want that hasn't been released on dvd yet or gotten US releases. In this day and age that is bizarre to me. Some stuff off the top of my head:

Better Off Ted Season 2 (this is the major one)
Dog Bites Man
The Inbetweeners Seasons 1-3
Check It Out With Steve Brule
An Idiot Abroad

Dukefrukem
09-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Hey I have a DVR now.

What should I be recording other than the Walking Dead on cable?

Kurosawa Fan
09-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Hey I have a DVR now.

What should I be recording other than the Walking Dead on cable?

Justified
Community
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Louie
Parks & Rec
Breaking Bad
Cougar Town

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

[ETM]
09-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Archer and Wilfred have been pretty great.

Ezee E
09-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Duke, have you seen Breaking Bad?

Dukefrukem
09-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Justified
Community
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Louie
Parks & Rec
Breaking Bad
Cougar Town

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Thank you so much for reminding me of Louie. I need to get on that asap.

Duke, have you seen Breaking Bad?

No. That's a series I've been wanting to watch in a long time. Adding to my DVR.

My first DVR ever. Guess my first recording...

Mara
09-19-2011, 04:43 PM
This season of The Guild continues to be an excuse for celebrity guest stars, I continue to be tired of it. Good choices, though: Dichen Lachman, Zachary Levi, Tom Lenk, Eliza Dushku, Colin Ferguson, the guy who played Hercules, and other people I didn't recognize.

[ETM]
09-19-2011, 04:56 PM
the guy who played Hercules

Kevin Sorbo was great.

Ezee E
09-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Thank you so much for reminding me of Louie. I need to get on that asap.

No. That's a series I've been wanting to watch in a long time. Adding to my DVR.

My first DVR ever. Guess my first recording...
Breaking Bad is something you'll LOVE I think. Catch up quick.

Lucky
09-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Yuck, Up All Night was indeed pretty bad. Didn't make it through the pilot because I also noticed....

The New Girl pilot was on On-Demand. I was enjoying this until the end when one of the characters behaved so inhumanly that it almost soured the taste of the whole pilot for me. Zooey is great here and the main attraction of the show. Unfortunately, she doesn't have a supporting cast to back her. The guys are pretty bland. I can't help but feel that Officer Leo can't believe that he got this role and comes off as awkward onscreen. He showed a lot of charisma on Veronica Mars, maybe once he starts to feel more comfortable his comic timing will set in. The long-running gags also fail (douchebag jar and the singing...especially the singing) but the show shines brightly when Zooey seemingly adlibs away. I'll stick around for awhile, but I can see this shtick growing stale after a few episodes.

number8
09-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Whenever I see an ad for The New Girl, all I can think about is this:

http://www.feeder.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/9.jpg

Lucky
09-20-2011, 02:44 AM
I feel a little bad that I blasted Up All Night earlier. It wasn't nearly as pathetic as Two and a Half Men or 2 Broke Girls.

Fezzik
09-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Hugh Jackman hosted Monday Night Raw last night. He wasn't in it much but he was good when he was there.

But that's neither here nor there. The WWE has confirmed that on Halloween night, THE MUPPETS will be hosting Raw.

Opening odds that Miss Piggy karate chops one of the wrestlers before the night is out? Anyone?

number8
09-20-2011, 05:23 PM
I just found out that in an upcoming Supernatural episode, Jewel Staite will play a redhead named Amy Pond.

Overload.

Raiders
09-20-2011, 05:34 PM
My inner nerd (and outer male... sorry) will never understand why Staite doesn't get more work.

number8
09-20-2011, 05:49 PM
My inner nerd (and outer male... sorry) will never understand why Staite doesn't get more work.

Probably because she lives with her husband and parents in her hometown Vancouver and not LA. The only jobs she takes seem to be the ones that shoot there, like Stargate Atlantis and SyFy Channel movies.

Lucky
09-20-2011, 06:33 PM
I actually enjoyed Free Agents more than any other comedy pilot this season so far. The two leads have real chemistry, it's fun to see Anthony Stewart Head again, and Azaria's assistant sparkles. For a single, half-hour script, the writer did an impressive job of crafting two actual human beings rather than stock sitcom leads. Not as funny as it could have been, but genuine. The laughs will come with time, I think.

Whitney wasn't that bad. I would never tune in again, but it wasn't as wretched as the two comedies I watched last night.

Winston*
09-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Louis CK dissects the second season of Louie on the AV Club. (http://www.avclub.com/articles/louis-ck-walks-us-through-louies-second-season-par,61888/)

EyesWideOpen
09-21-2011, 12:39 AM
Maybe it's my crush on Kat Dennings but I actually liked 2 Broke Girls. At least enough to watch another episode. It was also quite risque for my assumption of what a CBS show would be like.

Lucky
09-21-2011, 02:50 AM
I think I can rest assured that I'll like Ringer if that's what we can expect from your average episode. The chest provided some nice Hitchcockian suspense that recalled Notorious. Looking forward to seeing the first pivotal episode when this show really tries to knock it out of the park.

One complaint I do have...
Bridget's decision to stay at the end felt unfounded until I remembered she still believes that Siobhan is dead. For such a traumatic event for Bridget to witness, I find it odd that they didn't write in a moment or two showcasing how Bridget is coping with the tragedy.

EDIT: One thing I will not be complaining about...

SMG is looking great. Like, better than S5 Buffy, better than ever, great.

Ivan Drago
09-21-2011, 03:20 AM
Missed New Girl but watched the pilot of The Playboy Club. Lets just say the writing could've been better and leave it at that.

EyesWideOpen
09-21-2011, 06:33 AM
New Girl was surprisingly great. Zoey was a lot funnier than I thought she would be.

The season premiere of Tosh.O was great also. Glad to see him call out that new Rob Dyrdek show on MTV which is a rip-off of Tosh even using alot of the same clips.

Mara
09-21-2011, 05:04 PM
I think I can rest assured that I'll like Ringer if that's what we can expect from your average episode. The chest provided some nice Hitchcockian suspense that recalled Notorious. Looking forward to seeing the first pivotal episode when this show really tries to knock it out of the park.

Yeah, I'm still feeling it. The escalating problems with body disposal were almost amusing, but still creepy, and you have to give Bridget props for being neither as stupid nor as cowardly as most television characters would be in a similar situation. She did not flinch when she picked up that power saw.

Did not expect...

That is was Siobhan that put the hit out on Bridget. That's pretty cold. It's obvious they were close at one time, but Siobhan has obviously gotten very bitter and twisted, perhaps over the death of her son (which I assume Bridget caused.)

I liked some of the ways they are developing the story. The reasons that Bridget bonds with Juliet feel very realistic, considering they way they've drawn the character. Loved the inclusion of Andrew's bitch partner, and that they're developing the nascent Andrew/Bridget relationship by having her get jealous over another woman.

Some of the writing is still a little strained, and I'm hoping it will iron out as they get a feel and tone for the show refined. They're still telegraphing emotions, and having lots of speeches about "This is how I feel and why I feel that way."

SMG is looking great. Like, better than S5 Buffy, better than ever, great.

She is still awfully thin, though not as gaunt as she looked in seasons 6 & 7. Her face/hair are still amazing, though, and they're putting her in gorgeous clothes. Although, who wears a white linen blouse to clean a crime scene? Silly.

Mara
09-21-2011, 05:57 PM
I was curious if The New Girl was crazy awesome or crazy annoying. I watched it and I'm still not sure.

Raiders
09-21-2011, 06:13 PM
I was curious if The New Girl was crazy awesome or crazy annoying. I watched it and I'm still not sure.

It certainly wavers, but the first episode fell more squarely in the "awesome" camp. I do not see much future for this show, though. Either path it takes I think it is doomed. Either it keeps the nerdy, awkward intensity of Zooey's character and she becomes overwhelmingly grating week-after-week and stretches credulity to unbearable levels, or they make her become more normal in which the show's main reason for existing is washed away and it is the new Friends.

I must admit I did enjoy the trio of guys more than I expected. Coach's sudden "who cares?" outburst probably was the funniest moment of the episode for me.

Mara
09-21-2011, 06:16 PM
I must admit I did enjoy the trio of guys more than I expected. Coach's sudden "who cares?" outburst probably was the funniest moment of the episode for me.

It was overshadowed by "What do women like? Shopping?" thing, which is so overplayed and ridiculous that my eyes were stuck rolled-up.

Henry Gale
09-21-2011, 07:38 PM

Yeah, I watched the episode about a week ago, and I thought it was good, especially since the guys were as funny (and even self-aware about their potential douchey-ness) as they were. I was happiest to see Johnson finding himself in a solid role here after I've found him enjoyable as a side character in a few recent comedy movies (particularly in No Strings Attached, also written by Meriwether). It's just a shame that Wayans couldn't be in any more than the pilot, even though I think his prior commitment Happy Endings is still a lot better than people may assume. Adam Pally, Casey Wilson and Eliza Coupe are particularly great in it.

Thirdmango
09-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Heh, Simon Tam on Playboy Club. lol

Acapelli
09-21-2011, 08:08 PM
happy endings is great

good companion to cougar town

Lucky
09-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Although, who wears a white linen blouse to clean a crime scene? Silly.

I had the same thought about her crime scene cleaning outfit. Apparently Siobhan doesn't own old t-shirts or sweatpants.

I was really hoping Bridget would go Dexter on us and use the saw. I'm glad they at least nodded to the possibility. The show could use a touch more darkness. It would help wash out the soapy taste I get in my mouth sometimes.

I agree with you on Andrew's business partner - good addition to the cast. Also like the bond Juliet and Bridget are forming. And glad Andrew took notice.

Soundtrack was better this episode, not as distracting. I actually liked the song they included during the final scene with Juliet.

Another problem I'm having is that I still see Siobhan as a villainous Jackie-O impersonator. Hope they give her more screentime soon.

Thirdmango
09-21-2011, 09:17 PM
The problems I had with The Playboy Club were the same problems I had with the awful documentary on Playboy I watched earlier this year. It's just so damn smug and self righteous. I doubt I'll continue to watch though Sean Maher's story line did have an interesting twist. The show is just so limited in what it could possibly do.

Raiders
09-21-2011, 11:09 PM
It's just a shame that Wayans couldn't be in any more than the pilot

WHAT. I didn't know that. Pretty sad, actually. He was great.

Henry Gale
09-22-2011, 04:01 AM
WHAT. I didn't know that. Pretty sad, actually. He was great.

Agreed. At first I thought they were simply recasting the character, but I just read that they're just going to explain that Coach was subletting the apartment from the character that'll replace him. So I guess there's the possibility of him coming back, but just not anytime soon or as a regular.

Irish
09-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Maybe it's my crush on Kat Dennings but I actually liked 2 Broke Girls. At least enough to watch another episode. It was also quite risque for my assumption of what a CBS show would be like.

Watched this last night. Terrible show, but my god her breasts are enormous. That's enough for a 6 episode commitment from me, as I try to figure how just how big they are.

Right now, I'm at "slightly larger than my entire skull."

number8
09-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Agreed. At first I thought they were simply recasting the character, but I just read that they're just going to explain that Coach was subletting the apartment from the character that'll replace him. So I guess there's the possibility of him coming back, but just not anytime soon or as a regular.

I find that whole fiasco ridiculous and hilarious and completely baffling.

"We're too lazy to reshoot the pilot, so we're just going to have him disappear in the second episode and replaced by another athletic black guy who looks like him, but isn't."

Thirdmango
09-22-2011, 05:45 PM
That pilot thing happens a lot. The american version of Life on Mars for instance had Colm Meaney as the boss in the pilot and he was so amazingly good at that part, then the second episode just had someone different and it killed the show for me. You can't take Colm away from me, I love him too much.

Thirdmango
09-22-2011, 05:50 PM
So I can forgive comedies a lot easier then any other genre. After all last season I really liked Better With You even though I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Whitney is a lot like that, I actually really liked the pilot even though I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. So knowing that, when there's a show like Mike and Molly and I hate it and won't watch it, you should know it's truly atrocious.

Dukefrukem
09-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Firefly's Alan Tudyk teases the Serenity sequel

Thirdmango
09-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Firefly's Alan Tudyk teases the Serenity sequel

I assume you meant to add a link to that sentence?

number8
09-22-2011, 06:57 PM
I assume you meant to add a link to that sentence?

Don't worry about it. A Serenity sequel is like the Arrested Development movie. At least one person from the cast is going to say "it's possible, we're trying" every 6 months.

Henry Gale
09-22-2011, 07:25 PM
That pilot thing happens a lot. The american version of Life on Mars for instance had Colm Meaney as the boss in the pilot and he was so amazingly good at that part, then the second episode just had someone different and it killed the show for me. You can't take Colm away from me, I love him too much.

But see, even in that case they did reshoot it with Keitel for the official broadcast. The Meaney version leaked online though, and I agree, it was better.

More importantly though, people need to sit down and watch the final five minutes of that show to witness the most insanely terrible ending ever. It was on Netflix Instant Watch last I checked. My god.

number8
09-22-2011, 07:57 PM

As Henry Gale pointed out, you are misremembering. Keitel was in the first episode that was broadcast. Meaney was never on the "real" show.

This often happens because that's how a pilot works, but the standard when they replace an actor is to reshoot scenes with the new regular, who is usually more famous than the person in the pilot they're replacing, for the broadcast version of the first episode.

What's unique in this case is that Damon Wayans is arguably the most famous person in the pilot, and he's being replaced by a relative nobody. So they didn't reshoot the pilot because they wanted to use Wayans in the promos and the first broadcast episode, to trick people into thinking he'll be a regular on the show. It's honestly a disingenuous and boneheaded decision.

EyesWideOpen
09-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Damon Wayans Jr. is arguably more famous than Zooey Deschanel? I don't think so.

Acapelli
09-23-2011, 01:04 AM
maybe 8 thought it was the elder wayans

Acapelli
09-23-2011, 01:15 AM
lemansky is on prime suspect!

i hope he's not the dead husband or something though

ledfloyd
09-23-2011, 01:34 AM
oh how i missed parks. is there not a parks thread? or could i just not find it?

EyesWideOpen
09-23-2011, 01:42 AM
oh how i missed parks. is there not a parks thread? or could i just not find it?

How could you miss it? It's like 4 threads from the top. :lol:

number8
09-23-2011, 01:59 AM
Wait, are Blankman and Major Payne not as beloved as they are in my mind or something?

EyesWideOpen
09-23-2011, 02:01 AM
Wait, are Blankman and Major Payne not as beloved as they are in my mind or something?

That's Damon Wayans not Damon Wayans Jr. who is not beloved or even someone most would recognize.

number8
09-23-2011, 02:27 AM
MIND BLOWN.

EyesWideOpen
09-23-2011, 02:32 AM
To be fair their are about 20 Wayans running around Hollywood. It takes a lot of effort to keep track of them all.

ledfloyd
09-23-2011, 02:48 AM
How could you miss it? It's like 4 threads from the top. :lol:
oh... um... hey, free donuts!

Ezee E
09-23-2011, 04:30 AM
I had to look into this stuff on my own to figure out what you were all talking about.

Never knew there was a Damon Wayans JR., haha.

Thirdmango
09-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Damon Wayans Jr. is my favorite Wayans.

[ETM]
09-23-2011, 12:49 PM
The Big Bang Theory has definitely run out of ideas. It's still funny at times, but it has largely turned into "Friends".

[ETM]
09-23-2011, 01:10 PM
And I've tried to watch "New Girl" twice now, but the guys are just horrible.

Henry Gale
09-23-2011, 08:55 PM
;373383']The Big Bang Theory has definitely run out of ideas. It's still funny at times, but it has largely turned into "Friends".

Friends is not high art, or even a particularly great sitcom, but it will always be better in every way for me. At least it still had a really good cast when its writing wasn't any good. I've seen too many episodes of Big Bang Theory to always come to the same conclusion that it's one of the most mind-numbingly unfunny things on TV. The praise for it completely baffles me. I don't even think Parsons does a good job of getting his one note right.

Somewhat related, did anyone else actually see the big return of Lorre's other beast? I don't even hate Kutcher that much, but it felt like they cast him and instantly threw him on the set with the single direction to just play an even dumber and less likeable version of his character on That '70s Show. The only thing I'm still unclear of and simultaneously scarred by is whether or not a threesome gag that came from John Stamos' character saying he had bad memories in the main characters' house was meant to imply that him and Charlie Sheen's character once double-teamed an unconscious woman or that the two simply had sex with each other once she passed out. Either way, huge obnoxious laugh track for that zinger. But guys, Kutcher's was naked for half the episode and they blurred it but insinuated that he had a big dick! The housekeeper was surprised! HAHAHAHA. And the kid farted when they asked him what they should do with the house! HAHAHA. And Charlie also owed money to people after he died! AAAAAAHAHA.

So terrible.

Both of these shows individually get more viewers than Community, Parks and Recreation, Louie, It's Always Sunny and Eastbound and Down combined.

Thirdmango
09-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Parsons really doesn't do an amazing job, he's just written well and he can do dead pan well which most actors can train themselves to do. Thing is, without him the show goes no where.

EyesWideOpen
09-23-2011, 11:12 PM
Damon Wayans Jr. is my favorite Wayans.

That's like saying syphilis is my favorite STD.

Thirdmango
09-24-2011, 12:59 AM

So what's your favorite STD?

Acapelli
09-24-2011, 01:18 AM
in living color was a great show

and damon wayans jr is actually really good on happy endings

Irish
09-24-2011, 03:50 AM
Friends is not high art, or even a particularly great sitcom, but it will always be better in every way for me. At least it still had a really good cast when its writing wasn't any good. I've seen too many episodes of Big Bang Theory to always come to the same conclusion that it's one of the most mind-numbingly unfunny things on TV. The praise for it completely baffles me. I don't even think Parsons does a good job of getting his one note right.

Friends was a great sitcom for ~5 years or so. I think ETM might have been referring to the show's decline once all the characters were happily ensconced in romantic relationships, or sleeping together, or both. There's not really a lot of broad comedy you can do round people who are content with their lives.

That's the same problem the Big Bang Theory has now, where even a character like Sheldon has attracted romantic interest. Once the show resolved the will they or won't they dynamic between Leonard and Penny, it really didn't have many places to go.

They also moved a lot of the focus out of the lab and the university, which hurts it. Even though the science jokes were pretty high level, a lot of the comedy came from nerds being nerds, and the show successfully walked the fine line between pandering to a certain audience and satirizing them at the same time.

Now the characters rarely leave their apartments, and the show has become more about a bunch of guys and their girlfriends, and cutesy relationship problems, in between bouts of eating Chinese food on the couch.

Both of these shows individually get more viewers than Community, Parks and Recreation, Louie, It's Always Sunny and Eastbound and Down combined.

That's sorta an apple and pears comparison. Half those shows are limited run and on premium cable.

Irish
09-24-2011, 04:01 AM
Parsons really doesn't do an amazing job, he's just written well and he can do dead pan well which most actors can train themselves to do. Thing is, without him the show goes no where.

No, he really does. He's got impeccable control and consistency, and perfect timing. Often the script requires him to be his own straight man. That's tough to do. On top of that, he has to play off actors performing much shallower characters, and who aren't anywhere near his skill level.

Don't confuse one note with a character who has extreme limitations.

What he's doing reminds me a bit of Larry Linville on Mash or Kirstie Alley on Cheers.

[ETM]
09-24-2011, 12:13 PM
This is a rare occasion, but - yes, Irish, that's precisely what I meant.

Mr. Pink
09-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Don't really feel like splitting my thoughts into the individual threads.

Started Game of Thrones this weekend and I'm loving it. Anyone know if season 2 is almost out?

Premiere of Dexter looks somewhat promising, but given it's track record I'm not getting too excited. It did seem like they were trying to make it more like it was in the first season though, and just giving us Dexter doing his thing without a bunch of shitty side-plots.

Community premiere was also solid. Chang really needed to stop acting so fuckin' crazy because it was incredibly annoying. They have an unrealistically quirky group of people to begin with, and then they throw him in there. Having a consistent job where he has authority is a perfect role for him. Acting crazy and living in the vents/nowhere was getting ridiculous.

And I'd still defend Big Bang Theory. Everyone knows it isn't as good anymore, but enough funny things happen per episode (in general) to keep me watching.

Raj asking Penny how much of their fiery love affair he can tell to other people was hilarious. One of the best exchanges on the show yet. And the ending to the second episode was awesome, with the "Geology isn't a real science" line.

Still, Irish's criticisms are painfully accurate.

Oh, the Idiot Arbroad premiere was pretty funny, also. Thought I might be sick of the format by now, but Karl is just too watchable.

[ETM]
09-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Started Game of Thrones this weekend and I'm loving it. Anyone know if season 2 is almost out?

They're shooting it as we speak.

Henry Gale
09-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Oh, the Idiot Arbroad premiere was pretty funny, also. Thought I might be sick of the format by now, but Karl is just too watchable.

Yeah, for me something didn't quite click as well as the best of Series 1, but I still laughed pretty consistently. I think the issue may be giving Karl some control as to what he's going to do, even if there's still room to mess with him. But if it wasn't for that I doubt he would've agreed to do it at all.

"If you had a cake every day, you'd get sick of that cake. And if you're happy all the time you'd get sick of being happy. That's a good saying actually: 'Happiness is like a cake. Have too much of it and you'll get sick of it.'" *Self satisfied nod*

Mara
09-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Much better episode of The Guild. More guildie drama and eccentricity, which is why I watch, and far less time-consuming celebrity cameos.

Also, a return of Wil Wheaton is always appreciated. I'd be totally fine if he was main cast.

Irish
09-25-2011, 03:55 AM
Did anyone watch Jonathan Nolan's Person of Interest? It was silly around the edges, sorta a Batman meets The Equalizer in NYC, but had enough goingtht I'll probably keep watching for a few episodes.

Mr. Pink
09-25-2011, 04:26 AM
Yeah, for me something didn't quite click as well as the best of Series 1, but I still laughed pretty consistently. I think the issue may be giving Karl some control as to what he's going to do, even if there's still room to mess with him. But if it wasn't for that I doubt he would've agreed to do it at all.

"If you had a cake every day, you'd get sick of that cake. And if you're happy all the time you'd get sick of being happy. That's a good saying actually: 'Happiness is like a cake. Have too much of it and you'll get sick of it.'" *Self satisfied nod*

Only Karl would have thought to make that "I Spy" joke when they were in the jungle. Fucking hilarious.

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of how easily he got away from doing the bungee. You can tell they wanted to do the same thing again this season, but Karl probably isn't having it.

Qrazy
09-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Don't really feel like splitting my thoughts into the individual threads.

A year from now more or less.

Mr. Pink
09-25-2011, 06:05 PM
A year from now more or less.

Damn it! I thought I'd be getting lucky, having waited a year to start watching.

EyesWideOpen
09-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Damn it! I thought I'd be getting lucky, having waited a year to start watching.

The first season just ran a few months ago.

Mr. Pink
09-25-2011, 09:20 PM
The first season just ran a few months ago.

Really? I could have sworn the link said it aired September 2010. I would've spaced it out more instead of watching the whole season in two days.

Kurosawa Fan
09-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Really? I could have sworn the link said it aired September 2010. I would've spaced it out more instead of watching the whole season in two days.

No, it started in April, I believe. March at the earliest.

EyesWideOpen
09-25-2011, 09:31 PM

The first episode was the end of april and it ran till june.

Lucky
09-26-2011, 03:34 AM
Pan Am is no Mad Men. As of now it's entirely too lighthearted and cute for me to take seriously. I was hoping the glossy exterior would be a facade and the girls' private lives would hold the real drama, but the style of the pilot suggests they want to slop the icing on thick all-around. The bulk of the pilot's drama takes place in flashbacks which seem to be the product of a screenwriting roundtable of romance movie cliches. And no, they did not forget the swelling orchestral accompaniment. Ricci is a good fit here, as is her ginger co-stewardess. The espionage aspect interests me greatly, as does the globe trotting. There hasn't been a show on air to satiate that weekly adventure itch since Alias. I admit that I expected a different show, but I'm intrigued enough to see where this is headed.

Mara
09-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Pan Am is no Mad Men. As of now it's entirely too lighthearted and cute for me to take seriously.

Maybe my standards were low after hearing so many mediocre things about it, but I ended up totally enjoying this more than I expected. It's slick and mildly silly, but I had plenty of fun. (Except for the air-swept fleeing-Cuba proposal, which was ridiculous.) I like the espionage sideplot especially.

The soundtrack was really great.

And she only had about a minute and a half, but I love seeing actress Veanne Cox in anything. She's a regular in the theater scene in DC, so I've seen her live in four or five productions and she's always fantastic. I'm a fan now.

Mara
09-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Sean Maher (Simon from Firefly) is gay, has a partner of nine years, and two kids.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/09/26/firefly-playboy-club-actor-sean-maher-comes-out-ga/

Lucky
09-27-2011, 01:13 AM
Maybe my standards were low after hearing so many mediocre things about it, but I ended up totally enjoying this more than I expected. It's slick and mildly silly, but I had plenty of fun. (Except for the air-swept fleeing-Cuba proposal, which was ridiculous.) I like the espionage sideplot especially.

The soundtrack was really great.

And she only had about a minute and a half, but I love seeing actress Veanne Cox in anything. She's a regular in the theater scene in DC, so I've seen her live in four or five productions and she's always fantastic. I'm a fan now.

It's definitely slick, that's part of my issue with it. I realize this is a semi-backhanded compliment, but it actually pairs well with Desperate Housewives. They both possess a glam interpretation of a specific setting while being consciously aware that this is just television. I agree with you on the espionage angle, that's what will keep me invested for now. Here's hoping it takes over the main storyline and finds ways to incorporate more characters.

Irish
09-27-2011, 05:39 AM
Pan Am was just bad. I don't know how Ricci managed to say any of her lines without wretching. Her being on this show is like Johnny Depp showing up on Charlie's Angels.

Really silly, and unfortunately not in a cheesy so-bad-it's-good kinda way.

Winston*
09-27-2011, 09:14 AM
I also watched Pan-Am. Didn't hate it, but I don't think its my thing. For me a show that's not aiming for depth needs to be funny, and this didn't even try to be.

Mara
09-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Suddenly as I was getting ready for bed last night, something from Pan Am started bothering me. The fact is: no matter how much you try to Thelma-and-Louise it, ditching some poor bastard at the altar without a word and running out on your assembled wedding guests is a really crappy thing to do. That's it: you're a bad person.

number8
09-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Sean Maher (Simon from Firefly) is gay, has a partner of nine years, and two kids.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/09/26/firefly-playboy-club-actor-sean-maher-comes-out-ga/

The role for which Maher is probably most well-known is Dr. Simon Tam, a surgeon on the run after breaking his sister River (Summer Glau, who he’s pictured with here) out of a research facility, on the cult TV series Firefly and follow-up feature Serenity, both created by Joss Whedon. Maher remembers those projects as some of his best — even though his personal life was still off-limits during that time. “Looking back, on Firefly for instance, I do wish on day one I had told them because these are some of the most amazing people who are still like family to me,” Maher says. “I am so grateful for that show because they saved me. I was so unhappy and lonely and to come to work everyday with that group was wonderful. It really was all I had at that point in my life.”

RAIN OF TEARS.

Mara
09-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Yeah, that was sad. And you know the Firefly people would have been totally cool with it.

I guess what surprises me the most are the children. I mean, you can not talk about your sexual orientation at work, easily. You can not talk about your partner, with more difficulty. But how can you go to work every day and not mention that you have kids? That's nuts.

number8
09-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Yeah, that was sad. And you know the Firefly people would have been totally cool with it.

http://twitter.com/#!/NathanFillion/status/118518877410963458

http://twitter.com/#!/alan_tudyk/status/118465768668139520

http://twitter.com/#!/JewelStaite/status/118383423361527810

http://twitter.com/#!/JaneEspenson/status/118388348174860288

Adam Baldwin, not so much.

Mara
09-27-2011, 06:34 PM
This is so nerdy, but, hey.

Talking to the mentally ill at work, particularly when they are actively psychotic or having some sort of episode, reminds me of the info dump method Topher perfected for imprinting dolls. A ton of mismatched, unconnected, and absurd information gets thrown at you, and it's amazing how easy it is for your brain to sort it into understandable form and fill in the gaps.

[ETM]
09-27-2011, 06:53 PM

Yeah, I totally didn't expect him to be exactly like his conservative psycho character from "Chuck" in real life. He scares me.

Mara
09-27-2011, 06:56 PM

Which is odd, because Jayne and Simon had some serious homoerotic chemistry on the show. Don't tell me you didn't notice.

Mara
09-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Also, while we're on Whedon nerd quick, Maurissa Tancharoen's latest blog post almost made me cry. And is it just me, or is Joss Whedon really, really skinny in those pictures?

[ETM]
09-27-2011, 07:43 PM
I noticed that too. It was like "Peter Jackson Alert!"

Mara
09-27-2011, 07:46 PM
;374154']I noticed that too. It was like "Peter Jackson Alert!"

They both look great, but so much less huggable.

[ETM]
09-27-2011, 07:53 PM
I think Jackson has actually put some of the weight back, judging from those production videos. But Whedon was never really overweight, which worries me.

number8
09-27-2011, 10:15 PM
;374137']Yeah, I totally didn't expect him to be exactly like his conservative psycho character from "Chuck" in real life. He scares me.

He's fucking crazy, but to his credit, apparently he doesn't spread it around as much as his twitter feed would have you believe. He never talks about politics when he goes out and speak to fans at cons and stuff. One time during a Chuck panel at Wizard World, someone asked him a political question. He danced around the question, then apologized to the fan for not giving a straight answer. He explained that he knows that he harbors some really unpopular right-wing opinions, but he doesn't want that to get in the way between him and his fans or his Hollywood friends, so he doesn't like to talk about that stuff when he's making an appearance for something else. He keeps it to the internet, like most people, I guess.

[ETM]
09-27-2011, 10:24 PM
I bet he brings his own framed photo of Reagan to the set.

[ETM]
09-28-2011, 12:50 AM
The only thing worse than a premature cancelation of a show is when it returns with a season opener that is equal to crawling through mud, begging for scraps, loaded with unnecessary re-exposition and intrusive product placement. I think "Nikita" is pretty much done.

Lucky
09-28-2011, 02:54 AM
Second episode of The New Girl reaffirmed what I feared. Zooey is cute, but she can't quite carry a show by herself. It was just more of the same from the pilot, and the singing already got annoying in that first episode. My interest is waning fast. The bitchslap was rewind-worthy, though. God bless DVR.

Mara
09-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Second episode of The New Girl reaffirmed what I feared. Zooey is cute, but she can't quite carry a show by herself. It was just more of the same from the pilot, and the singing already got annoying in that first episode. My interest is waning fast. The bitchslap was rewind-worthy, though. God bless DVR.

Yeah. Quirky charm isn't quite enough to get this to fly. I don't hate it, but I don't think I'm willing to put any kind of investment into it.

[ETM]
09-28-2011, 07:25 PM
I tried to watch the pilot three times. I just can't stand any of the males. The direction and their performances are borderline Youtube video quality. Zooey is just not enough.

Mara
09-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Checked out Suburgatory and my feelings are mixed. The cast is great; with Alan Tudyk and Cheryl Hines both being big draws for me. I'm not familiar with the lead, but she was appealing. The writing felt like it had potential, reaching for "edgy" but landing firmly in "sarcastic."

But the last couple of minutes drifted into the maudlin and sentimental, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Alan Tudyk wore a swimsuit, though, so I'll probably stay tuned for at least a couple more episodes.

MadMan
09-29-2011, 11:35 PM
After watching the season opener to Series 2 of Luther, I'm hooked. Before next week I hope to make my way through the first series, which is on Netflix and is only 6 episodes long. Gotta love British TV-according to Britta, the BBC gives you closure....

[ETM]
09-30-2011, 12:41 AM
Gotta love British TV-according to Britta, the BBC gives you closure....

I love knowing what you're talking about.

[ETM]
09-30-2011, 01:11 AM
Stan Lee to guest star on "Chuck". (http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/exclusive-chuck-gets-comics-legend-stan-lee-to-guest-star-excelsior)

They already announced Mark Hamill, Carrie-Anne Moss and Danny Pudi.

MadMan
09-30-2011, 02:49 AM
;374654']I love knowing what you're talking about.I love that you love that you know what I'm talking about :pritch:

Lazlo
09-30-2011, 04:08 AM
Soooo, did 201 of Luther air yesterday on BBCA because I missed it if so? Whatever I read when I put together my TV calendar for this fall said it doesn't start until next Wednesday.

MadMan
09-30-2011, 04:40 AM
Yeah 2.1 of Luther aired last night. According to IMDB.com there are 4 episodes of Series 2 already out, but I guess BBC America is just bringing them over later on, I guess. In any case it gives me time to buzz through Series 1, I suppose.

Thirdmango
09-30-2011, 10:44 AM
yeah they originally aired in the UK a couple months ago. Luckily with BBC America they tend to reair any new show a couple times during the week so you can dvr it pretty quick.

MadMan
09-30-2011, 09:39 PM
yeah they originally aired in the UK a couple months ago. Luckily with BBC America they tend to reair any new show a couple times during the week so you can dvr it pretty quick.That's why at times I didn't worry about missing an episode of Doctor Who, although I still watched one or two episodes online thanks to Mara and amber.

Kurosawa Fan
10-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Arrested Development to Return to TV in Limited Run, Followed By Movie (http://tv.ign.com/articles/119/1197849p1.html)

This was announced by Mitch Hurwitz and reported by The New Yorker. Hopefully it's not just wishful thinking.

Sycophant
10-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Arrested Development to Return to TV in Limited Run, Followed By Movie (http://tv.ign.com/articles/119/1197849p1.html)

This was announced by Mitch Hurwitz and reported by The New Yorker. Hopefully it's not just wishful thinking.

Weird! This is seemingly more official than these updates usually are, so this may actually happen? I won't hold my breath until I hear production actually begins, though.

After eight to ten years, I'm not sure how actually excited I am for this anymore. But I'll definitely be watching whatever might surface.

EyesWideOpen
10-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Will Arnett just tweeted that it's true but I'm still not gonna get too excited. I'll believe it when I see it.

EyesWideOpen
10-02-2011, 10:41 PM
I also watched the first episode of Luther and I'm hooked.

Kurosawa Fan
10-02-2011, 10:50 PM
With no deal in place, it's good to remain skeptical, but Hurwitz has never claimed something was going to happen, so this is as close as they've come to making an official return.

As for the quality, I'll put my faith in the creative team. They haven't given me reason not to yet.

Henry Gale
10-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Just heard via Bateman's tweet (http://twitter.com/#!/batemanjason/status/120629729819766785).

So yeah... I mean: YES.

Ezee E
10-02-2011, 11:39 PM
I'd almost think this was an April Fools Joke.

But... HUZZAH..

Still going to wait for some type of shooting on this one. Been far too many "jokes" about it on red carpets.

Lucky
10-03-2011, 04:06 AM
Yeah, Pan Am is not my kinda show. The melodrama with the mother was too much. However intriguing the spy angle is, it's just not enough of the show to justify my watching it. I would have much rather seen an espionage thriller revolving around stewardesses than a girl-powered melodrama with the 60's airline as its backdrop.

Mara
10-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah, Pan Am is not my kinda show. The melodrama with the mother was too much. However intriguing the spy angle is, it's just not enough of the show to justify my watching it. I would have much rather seen an espionage thriller revolving around stewardesses than a girl-powered melodrama with the 60's airline as its backdrop.

Erm... yes. I'm at "I'M NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE OF YOUR TICKET" and I'm considering just signing off now. The cold-war espionage angle was so cool, but I'm not going to let it string me into something not worth the time and effort.

Mara
10-03-2011, 04:29 PM
We got to the tearful reconciliation aaaaaaand I'm done. Sorry, too silly. If this show gets really great later, someone let me know.

Mara
10-03-2011, 08:24 PM
VEEP has started filming in B'more. (http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/z-on-tv-blog/bal-hbo-series-veep-starts-production-baltimore-20111003,0,1225743.story)

Who do I want to run into at Safeway? Tony Hale!

Sycophant
10-03-2011, 08:34 PM
I cannot wait for that show.

Winston*
10-03-2011, 09:22 PM
I cannot wait for that show.

Me too.

The Thick of It > Arrested Development.

Irish
10-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Damn, Homeland's first episode was amazing. Here's hoping Showtime can keep up this level of quality.

Sycophant
10-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Me too.

The Thick of It > Arrested Development.

I really need to get around to watching the third series of The Thick of It. But I think this is probably correct.

EyesWideOpen
10-03-2011, 11:08 PM
At this point I'd rather they tell me Better Off Ted is coming back then Arrested Development.

Mara
10-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Wow. Arrested Development backlash. I thought I'd never see the day. It's one of the few shows out there that seemed never to disappoint.

Sycophant
10-03-2011, 11:59 PM
When it was on, I had many reservations and issues about AD's second and third season. First season's just about perfect. But my love (I do love it) was never unqualified.

The output of Hurwitz and a lot of the others since 2006 isn't exactly inspiring. Hence my caution.

ledfloyd
10-04-2011, 12:30 AM
arrested development is my favorite tv comedy, without question. but i am very skeptical of them returning to it.

EyesWideOpen
10-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Wow. Arrested Development backlash. I thought I'd never see the day. It's one of the few shows out there that seemed never to disappoint.

I'm still super excited (if it ever actually happens) but it's been a long time and we got three quality seasons out of that show.

Ezee E
10-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Has Hurwitz done anything since AD?

[ETM]
10-04-2011, 01:26 AM
Has Hurwitz done anything since AD?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1615926/

Thirdmango
10-04-2011, 03:09 AM
I didn't know about sit down shut up when it first aired, I've tried finding episodes online anywhere and only found two. Both were actually pretty funny.

EyesWideOpen
10-04-2011, 03:46 AM
Is it weird that I'm strangely in love with Alice Morgan?

I'm about to start episode 6.

[ETM]
10-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Is it weird that I'm strangely in love with Alice Morgan?

Yes... and no.

Irish
10-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Playboy Club just got cancelled.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/04/playboy-club-cancelled/

[ETM]
10-05-2011, 01:23 AM
Warehouse 13 two hour finale was pretty great. Of course it ended on a HUGE cliffhanger, but boy do they have cojones. Never saw THAT coming.

Mara
10-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Surprisingly, the second episode of Suburgatory was better than the pilot. As the main character is already antagonistic with her environment, they wisely chose to tone down her vitriol with her father and have them be more affectionate and team-like, which drastically improved the dynamic. Sisto and the girl have great comedic chemistry. Alan Tudyk and Cheryl Hines continue to be hilarious just by existing.

And the writing is actually pretty clever.

Henry Gale
10-06-2011, 09:48 PM
I may be the only one to do so, but I'll just say that I actually kinda liked American Horror Story quite a bit. It's definitely over-crowded and some of its many story threads aren't given enough room to properly land in these first fifty minutes, but the pace and feel of the show is also propulsive and disorienting in a way that makes the whole thing fairly dream-like and unsettling, which was definitely effective for me on its own terms. The thing I like the least is that they're already starting to push the idea that the questionable choices the characters make are just results of them being haunted and controlled by whatever they've moved into, potentially because of the vulnerabilities of their past instead of them having been written as well-adjusted and relatable people that these things slowly began happening to. It's just also a shame that when the show actually takes a minute or two from the craziness to deal with its characters as human beings that it almost feels counterproductive. None of the characters are particularly interesting at this point with the possible exception of Connie Britton's, but that may be because she also seems to do the best job out of the actors. I am looking forward to seeing more of people like Denis O'Hare though.

But in the end what made the pilot work most for me was that strong, uneasy atmosphere it created, making it one of the more unique things on TV in just a single episode. So unless it takes a significant nosedive in the next few weeks, I'm definitely going to keep watching.

EDIT: The premiere got 3.2 million viewers. For FX that seems really good (apparently matching the numbers for the first episodes of the network's The Shield and Nip/Tuck), so now I'm almost feeling more cautious rather than optimistic for this potentially going on for a while. Watching it last night, the thought of "Oh yeah, this show's gonna be successful!" never came to mind. We shall see.

MadMan
10-06-2011, 10:50 PM
I knew I forgot to DVR something last night. If I'm lucky FX either has An American Horror Story's pilot on its website, or it will re-air sometime next week.

Thirdmango
10-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Over the past couple of weeks I decided to watch all of Daria. I realized as watching it I was incredibly familiar with every episode in the first two seasons but not at all familiar with a single episode after that point. Around the end of season 4 and especially into season 5 they started getting overarching story heavy which wasn't a bad thing since they had sorta played out the characters by then. Giving Jane a boyfriend then Daria was a nice twist to keep it a bit fresh. Overall it was a fun show, when it first aired I remember being quite enamored by it, and this time around I wasn't as stuck on it.

Lucky
10-06-2011, 11:07 PM
I'm going to go one step further - I loved the American Horror Story pilot. My rave ensues...

Everything worked for me. Its cast is excellent, the writing is solid, the style is ambitious, and there is truly nothing like this on television. Even the small details like the opening credits and the use of Herrmann's Vertigo score felt pitch-perfect. To base a show with the central motif of fear and how it motivates and molds people is inspired. It's also one of the oddest blends of genre I've seen since Buffy -- the script was genuinely funny at times for all the right reasons, it's appropriately creepy, hit resonating dramatic notes, unashamed of its sexuality, and it has a delicious surreal element. Boy do I hope they can keep this level of intrigue up, because it will easily become one of my favorite shows. This is the perfect blend that I wish True Blood could balance.

Best pilot of the season, easily.

Mara
10-06-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm watching a few sporadic episodes of Mad Men in order to try and rewatch before the next season, and check out the character development (which has been incredibly dynamic.)

Anyway, I've gotten to the point where I think of Alison Brie as being Annie instead of Trudie, and so watching her on MM is really disorienting. Annie is so earnest and sincere and Trudie (in the early days) sure was aggressively artificial. Her entire bearing is different. I really think the two parts show a great deal of range.

Irish
10-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Lucky, did you see Homeland?

[ETM]
10-07-2011, 12:16 AM
I really think the two parts show a great deal of range.

Agreed. She's definitely one to look out for in the future.

Lucky
10-07-2011, 12:44 AM
Lucky, did you see Homeland?

No, and that's one pilot I could see putting up a fight for best of the season. I'm going to wait to hear the word on the entire first season before I jump into that show. I'm trying to avoid another The Killing experience.

Raiders
10-07-2011, 02:00 AM
I didn't expect it, but I loved both the pilot of American Horror Story and the season premiere of House (seriously, this shows just needs Laurie--pure, unfiltered Laurie).

EyesWideOpen
10-07-2011, 02:01 AM
I'm definitely done with New Girl. Everything about that show is trying too hard. Up All Night is decent but nothing special I think I'm gonna stop that one also.

Lucky
10-07-2011, 03:15 AM
It's good to have The League back, while Always Sunny continues to slip into mediocrity.

I agree, Raiders, House premiere was solid.

Dexter also returns with a promising opener. Like the religious angle.

...good God I've been watching a lot of television lately.

amberlita
10-07-2011, 05:37 AM
American Horror Story was ridiculous. Entertaining, but utterly ridiculous. That lead actor (can't recall his name) gave the most awkward and forced performance I've seen on television so far this year. Blech.

Lucky
10-07-2011, 01:42 PM
American Horror Story was ridiculous. Entertaining, but utterly ridiculous. That lead actor (can't recall his name) gave the most awkward and forced performance I've seen on television so far this year. Blech.

You're no fun anymore.

EDIT: In all seriousness though, when did it jump ship for you? All of the horror elements seem like an amalgamation of movie classics. It's no more ridiculous than The Shining or Rosemary's Baby or The Sixth Sense. I thought the lead actress from FNL was excellent, but I didn't think McDermitt was bad. Unless you thought his ass performance was awkward hah.

Kurosawa Fan
10-07-2011, 02:18 PM
It jumped ship for me when they were taking the tour of the house, the realtor was complimenting how well kept it had been by the previous owners, and then this exchange happened:

Connie Britton: "Gay?"
Realtor: "What do you think?"

I changed the channel. I don't care for Ryan Murphy as it is, so that was all the evidence I needed that the show was going to have his particular flavor.

number8
10-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Haven't seen it, but as a fan of Nip/Tuck, I believe I know what I'm getting into. I'm looking forward to it.

Lucky
10-07-2011, 02:39 PM
I changed the channel. I don't care for Ryan Murphy as it is, so that was all the evidence I needed that the show was going to have his particular flavor.

I know what you mean, but the reason it didn't quite rub me that way is that the realtor said it was like the previous owners' child. There's a subtle indication that leads to the wife's direct question. Also keeping in mind this is LA.

Either way, man you didn't make it very far. I wish I could convince you to give the whole ep a shot, but I know Murphy's track record isn't that great with myself either. I started out watching both Nip/Tuck and Glee and only gave each of them about a year.

Kurosawa Fan
10-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Yeah, Murphy's style is just grating. I wanted this to be different, and granted I gave it a very short leash, but that line was all I needed to know that it will be the same old shit from him. I might come back to it if the reviews are better, but even those haven't been great thus far.

Thirdmango
10-07-2011, 03:05 PM
5 bucks says there will be a fake pregnancy angle in the first couple episodes. Let's see if Murphy can make this 3 for 3.

[ETM]
10-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I might come back to it if the reviews are better, but even those haven't been great thus far.

Those I've seen have been outright horrible.

MadMan
10-07-2011, 06:20 PM
The League was pretty funny, and I'm glad that Blue Mountain State after a slow start became hilarious again. Also I'm now a solid fan of Luther after only watching three episodes-its good to have another show I can care about and get hooked on.

PS: Archer's first three episodes were great. Its shitty that I'll have to wait for new episodes.

Forgot to DVR Community and The Office, so I'll just have to view both online this weekend.

amberlita
10-08-2011, 04:36 AM
You're no fun anymore.

EDIT: In all seriousness though, when did it jump ship for you? All of the horror elements seem like an amalgamation of movie classics. It's no more ridiculous than The Shining or Rosemary's Baby or The Sixth Sense. I thought the lead actress from FNL was excellent, but I didn't think McDermitt was bad. Unless you thought his ass performance was awkward hah.

There was no moment of jumping ship. I liked the opening sequence, the title sequence, and then everything else was a hot mess. There were some genuinely creepy and interesting moments (the maid changing appearance based on who was seeing her, whatever the hell that was in the basement with the Mean Girl) but the rest felt like a bunch of good looking crap thrown together in a half-assed way without any semblance of building a foundation for a real show that I can care about. What is the point of any of this? To be scary? It's not. To be sexy? It's not. To explore the mental anguish of this family? They aren't interesting enough to care about. To be stylish and over the top? Mission accomplished but I'll pass.

Though not technically. I'm giving it a couple more episodes. Then I'm out if it doesn't hook me.

edit: and it is far more ridiculous than the other movies you mentioned. the horror-movie-melting-pot nature of this show is the biggest reason it doesn't work. those movies at least had a focus of their ridiculousness that they committed to and it became a part of the story. all the "horror" bells and whistles on display here only distract from what is meant to be at the core but instead only serves as a an excuse to show off whatever random kinky shit is in Ryan Murphy's head.

Irish
10-08-2011, 05:23 AM
American Horror was awful. I think Amberlita nailed it. (Esp about Delmot Mulroney, who's just awful in everything & the bad movie melting pot. Astute stuff).

Everything about this was overblown characterchure. I liked the first few seasons of Nip/Tuck, but abandoned it after it went over the top.

This feels like Murphy's attempt to do every half assed, overblown idea he never got to do on his other series.

Production looked slick, outside the assinine zooms and jump cuts, but almost every idea felt borrowed and worn.

I don't understand how this is gonna be a series. It wouldn't work as a feature or even a bad episode of the X Files. They've basically given themselves a premise that can never have a third act while the show is active. And the genre they're working in pretty much demands resolution.

So I'm guessing this is going to be a a Lost/Twin Peaks style circle jerk while Murph bombards us with sexual imagery that hasn't been shocking in over a generation.

number8
10-09-2011, 02:45 PM
About House season premiere... That prison cafeteria room is the same set as the Princeton hospital lobby, right? I didn't just imagine that? I'd be fine if the entire season is set in prison, I think.

EyesWideOpen
10-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Just finished episode 2 of season 2 of Luther. This better not mean no more Alice!

MadMan
10-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Just finished episode 2 of season 2 of Luther. This better not mean no more Alice!I doubt it. She'll be back.

[ETM]
10-10-2011, 10:19 PM
But not often enough.

number8
10-11-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm all caught up with Misfits. The show has really hit its stride in the second season. I'm glad I looked past the underwhelming pilot and stuck with it. The characters become much more likable than I'd anticipated.

I can't believe they're doing a third season without Nathan, though. That seems like a showkiller to me.

Thirdmango
10-12-2011, 04:24 AM
woot, first season of the colony is on netflix. I've watched the second season already and loved it.

Mara
10-12-2011, 05:18 PM
By the way, I was trying to rejigger my antenna last night so I caught a few minutes of some awful laugh-track sitcom with Tim Allen. Whatever.

What annoyed me was that the extremely talented young actress who played Leonetta in the last season of Justified is on it as a shrill, whiny teenager. Poor kid. There aren't many roles out there like that, even if you're good.

EDIT: Loretta, not Leonetta. And her name is apparently Kaitlyn Dever.

number8
10-12-2011, 05:22 PM
I am so sick of comedies centered on gender differences.

Mara
10-12-2011, 05:23 PM

Was that the premise? All I got was put-upon dad, pretty mom, whiny kids, which is an equally played-out sitcom scenario.

number8
10-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Was that the premise? All I got was put-upon dad, pretty mom, whiny kids, which is an equally played-out sitcom scenario.

It's called Last Man Standing, and Tim Allen is the only man in a house full of females. Hijinks ensue as he tries to defend his manly rights in a life dominated by women and their wants.

Mara
10-12-2011, 05:26 PM
It's called Last Man Standing, and Tim Allen is the only man in a house full of females. Hijinks ensue as he tries to defend his manly rights in a life dominated by women and their wants.

You're kidding. That's awful.

number8
10-12-2011, 05:29 PM
No joke: the sitcom was originally titled Man Up, then changed to Last Days of Man, before they finally settled on Last Man Standing, presumably to draw Bruce Willis fans into watching it.

Watashi
10-12-2011, 05:34 PM
No joke: the sitcom was originally titled Man Up, then changed to Last Days of Man, before they finally settled on Last Man Standing, presumably to draw Bruce Willis fans into watching it.
Or Walter Hill fans.

Irish
10-12-2011, 05:43 PM

The format died after 9/11.

So now everybody is scrambling back to formulas they know were successful, like the half dozen Friends remakes floating around.

I'm a little surprised anyone would go back to the Everybody Loves Raymond / Honeymooners well again, but then what else would you put someone like Tim Allen in?

[ETM]
10-12-2011, 05:45 PM
what else would you put someone like Tim Allen in?

Galaxy Quest 2?

Kurosawa Fan
10-12-2011, 08:38 PM
but then what else would you put someone like Tim Allen in?

"Nothing" would be a good answer to that question.

Henry Gale
10-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Well you guys will be psyched to hear that Last Man Standing got 13 million viewers! Looks like the multi-camera sitcom really is back this season, right guys?!

But yeah, I saw about ten minutes of it. It was horrible.

[ETM]
10-12-2011, 10:32 PM
The "2 and a Half Men" audience has to watch something on other nights...

MadMan
10-13-2011, 02:40 AM
I like Tim Allen, and I'll admit that I thought his new show looked slightly amusing. But out of laziness I didn't tune in, although it was also due to me remembering that I haven't watched a traditional sitcom in ages. Looking at all my favorite comedies now, none of them have a laugh track.

Winston*
10-13-2011, 02:48 AM
What were you doing Madman, when you were too lazy to watch the Tim Allen sitcom?

Mara
10-13-2011, 02:49 AM
I liked Tim Allen in Galaxy Quest and the Toy Story series. Other than that, eh.

Acapelli
10-13-2011, 04:14 AM
i think you're confused, because their actually is a sitcom called "man up" on abc premiering soon

MadMan
10-13-2011, 05:03 AM
What were you doing Madman, when you were too lazy to watch the Tim Allen sitcom?I actually walked the dog instead, I believe. My adorable fluffy needed her exercise.

All this oddly reminds me I still need to watch last week's episode of The Office before I forget.