PDA

View Full Version : The TV Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53

number8
05-30-2008, 06:27 AM
How watchable? Like... doesn't make you want to kill yourself watachable or like actually worth watching watchable?

Doesn't make you want to kill watchable. For about 6 episodes. The story just doesn't work in a TV format. Having them stay in one place, go to school, getting chased by a different Terminator every couple of episodes... It makes no sense. Even though the episodes are kind of cool and suspenseful, it's just... well, it's retarded.

Qrazy
05-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Doesn't make you want to kill watchable. For about 6 episodes. The story just doesn't work in a TV format. Having them stay in one place, go to school, getting chased by a different Terminator every couple of episodes... It makes no sense. Even though the episodes are kind of cool and suspenseful, it's just... well, it's retarded.

Sounds about right.

Kurosawa Fan
05-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Lain is fantastic.

[ETM]
05-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Having them stay in one place, go to school, getting chased by a different Terminator every couple of episodes... It makes no sense.

Well, within the story frame they've created, it's not that bad, especially considering it's all based on huge time travel paradoxes. As far as I remember, they are not chased by different Terminators, but just one. The others are on their own tasks and have no idea who, or where, they are. It's the whole "Skynet is preparing the war in the past before it even started" aspect they've introduced that I find the most intriguing.

Also, Summer Glau is hot.

Sycophant
05-31-2008, 08:29 PM
Allow me to reiterate Qrazy's recommendation of Kemonozume. It's strange and twisted and sometime seems to lack a clear vision (the director for each episode had a lot of control over how that episode went and that in turn affected the continuing outcome of the series), but it's got gorgeous animation, a bizarrely effective romance/horror, antiquity-vs.-modernity spin. I've actually been meaning to watch it again.

[ETM]
06-01-2008, 12:08 AM
Dear lord... the latest Steven Moffat-penned episode of Doctor Who is incredible. When that man takes over the show in Season 5, the universe will implode.

Qrazy
06-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Allow me to reiterate Qrazy's recommendation of Kemonozume. It's strange and twisted and sometime seems to lack a clear vision (the director for each episode had a lot of control over how that episode went and that in turn affected the continuing outcome of the series), but it's got gorgeous animation, a bizarrely effective romance/horror, antiquity-vs.-modernity spin. I've actually been meaning to watch it again.

If you haven't had a chance yet you should check out the new series he's doing Kaiba. The animation style definitely isn't for everyone, but it's unique and beautiful in it's own way and there's tons of good stuff to be found in it.

Sycophant
06-02-2008, 06:31 AM
If you haven't had a chance yet you should check out the new series he's doing Kaiba. The animation style definitely isn't for everyone, but it's unique and beautiful in it's own way and there's tons of good stuff to be found in it.Thanks for pointing me to it. I just actually watched the first three episodes and I'm kind of in love. Already, it's proven itself possessing of the qualities I'm coming to expect from Yuasa: beauty, inventiveness, a wild sense of comedy, humanity, and absolute devastation. Crap. I'm gonna catch up before it's done being fansubbed.

Qrazy
06-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Thanks for pointing me to it. I just actually watched the first three episodes and I'm kind of in love. Already, it's proven itself possessing of the qualities I'm coming to expect from Yuasa: beauty, inventiveness, a wild sense of comedy, humanity, and absolute devastation. Crap. I'm gonna catch up before it's done being fansubbed.

Unfortunately there only seems to be six episodes subbed/released online... let me know if you run into the seventh floating around... I think that ep is released in Japan already, not sure... series is supposed to finish near the end of the summer I believe.

Sycophant
06-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Word is that seven's aired and is out there as a raw, but no one's fansubbed it yet. The series will be complete at 12 episodes. If I find the new one, I'll pass it on.

Sycophant
06-04-2008, 07:49 PM
I don't know that this is going to get to the level that we'll need a Kaiba discussion thread, and I don't know if anyone else besides Qrazy is watching it (if that's true, it needs to change, people), but apparently the next time an episode will air in Japan will be June 12th, thanks to tennis broadcasts. Which means we probably have about three or more weeks before the next episode gets subbed. I'm going to get desperate, I'm sure, as it's kind of consumed me. I'll be watching eps. 1 through 7 at least once more in the interim, and episode 3 a few more times than that. Episode 3 is one of the most emotionally devastating things I've seen in a while.

I hope some other people give this a shot. It's positively beautiful and is fast on its way to my favorite anime series.

I've been watching them on http://www.crunchyroll.com/ which streams unlicensed anime (and some live-action dramas, apparently) with subtitles. If you don't want to deal with downloading them and can put up with occasionally chunky video sources, it's where I'll probably be spending all my free TV-watching time from here till, y'know, eternity.

PS: It even has Mind Game up in its entirety, for those who've been waiting to see it, even if it's not in pristine quality.

Spinal
06-05-2008, 06:14 AM
Why do I keep getting sucked back into Weeds? The resolution of the second season cliffhanger was ultra-lame. What a cheat. I can't stand half the characters, although thankfully at least one of them has not returned. Just about any scene with Kevin Nealon or Elizabeth Perkins is guaranteed to be awful. And yet I continue to watch. Let me go, Mary Louise. You don't know what you are doing to me.

Spinal
06-05-2008, 06:58 AM
... aaaaaand Mary Louise rips off her dress before jumping into the pool in her black underwear, thus guaranteeing that I will be held captive for at least another 6 episodes. :sad:

Thirdmango
06-05-2008, 02:46 PM
I got the first season of Weeds but besides my attraction to Mary Louise which is fine because I still have some West Wing to watch, I can't really get into the show. I've been through I think six episodes but still having a tough time getting through it.

Thirdmango
06-05-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm quite curious about Swingtown which premiers tonight on CBS, of course I have no tv, so hopefully I can watch it online tomorrow.

Thirdmango
06-05-2008, 03:05 PM
If you haven't had a chance yet you should check out the new series he's doing Kaiba. The animation style definitely isn't for everyone, but it's unique and beautiful in it's own way and there's tons of good stuff to be found in it.

Downloading now.

Ezee E
06-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Season 3 just came out on DVD.

And DSNT didn't notify me of this.

Gah.

And Spinal. You are so wrong about Nealon.

Justin Kirk is the highlight though.

Spinal
06-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Oh, he's the worst.

Strike that. The chubby lesbian daughter is the worst.

Kirk is good though. I like him and the guy who plays Conrad.

Sxottlan
06-05-2008, 08:06 PM
The St. Augustine Lighthouse episode of Ghost Hunters is probably one of the best hours of television I have seen in recent years. You have the structure, which lends itself to creepiness by its very nature what with the spiraling staircases, seeming isolation and how the crew regularly has to look up.

The "performances," if you want to call them that, by the TAPS team felt incredibly genuine. The shock and awe of their encounter with the apparent sheer amount of paranormal activity was highly infectious, made all the more haunting by the echoing of their voices off the tower's interior (the best shot: Brian looking up and asking, "Can you hear me?" as the question reverberates off the walls). The most shocking moment, when Brian believes that whatever they're chasing up the tower decides to start coming back down towards them and the reaction from Dustin is priceless.

The episode also reveals a few of the flaws of the show in general, like how the creepy background music can get in the way of hearing alleged voices and knocking (a ghostly trait of Most Haunted is that is suddenly and unfortunately finding its way into this show). There's a moment when Jason says to just stay quiet and listen. The show's producers amazingly decide to drop out the music as well and it's a startling contrast.

Another little flaw, they make big deals out of certain equipment, such as the humorous bit where Brian has to keep climbing the tower to adjust a recorder. You'd think the recorder would come back into play later in the episode since there was so much alleged audio going on. However, it's never mentioned again. You'd also think that with all the ghostly talking, they'd have pulled out their digital recorders to get EVPs. That is also not done.

Conversely, the new episode that aired last night makes me wonder just how much of the show is BS. All of it? Some of it? The way the show is presented with a more scientific bent makes me hope that it's all genuine, but then there are these apparent lapses in logic. Perhaps it's in the editing, but editing couldn't explain how the team didn't know the Moss Beach Distillery in California had pre-installed special effects to create ghostly happenings. The building was featured on one of the many creepy travel programs routinely aired on the Travel Channel. Perhaps they don't have the time to watch all those programs (which is a possibility) or else the producers of the show decided to go with it and it was just a total breakdown in communication. It can happen. Even if they can claim that, it's still a bit embarrassing.

However, it is interesting that they still decided to air the segment anyway. Perhaps there was simply no way to escape looking like fools in this particular investigation. If so, then I do give them some credit. Jason and Grant appeared on Conan O'Brien years ago and said people have tried to trick them in the past. I just never thought they'd actually air one of those instances. The response from the guy from the restaurant (a chef, not even the owner) still reeked of bull when asked why he didn't tell them about the special effects. Foolish of the team or no, his response revealed their was blame to go around.

I'm not one to blame the team's supposed researcher, considering she was brought on most likely because she's a pretty young girl (suspiciously with acting credits on IMDB despite Jason's claim that she's an old friend of the team). More likely that falls to a group of off-camera researchers from the production company who field calls and set up investigations.

Mara
06-06-2008, 12:20 AM
Just tore through the entire series of Wonderfalls in a few days. I thought it was charming and fun. I liked it better than Dead Like Me, which was sort of fun but got old fast, but I didn't like it quite as well as Pushing Daisies.

number8
06-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Swingtown was... interesting. It's not very often a network show would have no dramatic hook or plot twists on its pilot like that. They just set up characters and the world and progressed very slowly. It almost felt like a censored Showtime series.

Raiders
06-07-2008, 02:14 AM
Just tore through the entire series of Wonderfalls in a few days. I thought it was charming and fun. I liked it better than Dead Like Me, which was sort of fun but got old fast, but I didn't like it quite as well as Pushing Daisies.

I love all three. Bryan Fuller's a TV genius.

Kurosawa Fan
06-07-2008, 04:08 AM
Swingtown was... interesting. It's not very often a network show would have no dramatic hook or plot twists on its pilot like that. They just set up characters and the world and progressed very slowly. It almost felt like a censored Showtime series.

Isn't that pretty much what it is? I thought I read somewhere that it was originally developed for Showtime or one of those channels but was axed, and CBS picked it up and reworked it a bit for primetime.

[ETM]
06-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I thought I read somewhere that it was originally developed for Showtime or one of those channels but was axed, and CBS picked it up and reworked it a bit for primetime.

HBO passed on it.

Ezee E
06-07-2008, 01:24 PM
I watched the very first four episodes of The Larry Sanders Show. Looks it once it gets rolling, it'll be great stuff, but right now, it's about as funny as a poor man's Seinfeld.

dreamdead
06-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Finished season 5 of Buffy and am just past "Once More, With Feeling" on season 6. Season 5 was nearly as solid as season 3, and rejuvenated a weak season 4, since Glory actually presented a formidable challenge mentally, and the season finished on a strong point. Given the relative humor that the childish villains have here presently (as it's really just three nerds conspiring to take over Sunnydale), it feels like Joss and company are much more concerned examining the nature of evil (or at least lack of trust in goodness) present in Willow, Xander, Giles, and Anya. What's depressing right now is that Willow's embrace of the evil feels like others beyond Giles should be noticing it, and that Tara should be confiding in someone soonish over Willow's magic spell to make her forget their arguments. And while OMwF has Buffy revealing her apathy at being resurrected, I fear the show might sacrifice that antagonism that she has toward the others a bit too quick.

ledfloyd
06-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Finished season 5 of Buffy and am just past "Once More, With Feeling" on season 6. Season 5 was nearly as solid as season 3, and rejuvenated a weak season 4, since Glory actually presented a formidable challenge mentally, and the season finished on a strong point. Given the relative humor that the childish villains have here presently (as it's really just three nerds conspiring to take over Sunnydale), it feels like Joss and company are much more concerned examining the nature of evil (or at least lack of trust in goodness) present in Willow, Xander, Giles, and Anya. What's depressing right now is that Willow's embrace of the evil feels like others beyond Giles should be noticing it, and that Tara should be confiding in someone soonish over Willow's magic spell to make her forget their arguments. And while OMwF has Buffy revealing her apathy at being resurrected, I fear the show might sacrifice that antagonism that she has toward the others a bit too quick.
i stopped watching in the middle of season 5. sometime i'll get back to it. the Hope storyline was making me roll my eyes. i really liked season 4. i needed a break though as i had watched the first 4 seasons almost straight through.

number8
06-07-2008, 10:22 PM

That makes a lot of sense. It's really structured like an HBO/Showtime show.

That's disappointing. The sex could be an important part of the show. It's kind of anti-climactic that they keep cutting away when the orgies are supposed to be a powerful draw for the main couple and a turn-off for another. Seems like a really misplaced show.

[ETM]
06-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Doctor Who was awesome once again last night. I can't wait for Moffat to take over full time, his grasp of the characters and where he can go with the show is incredible.

Lucky
06-08-2008, 08:04 AM
i stopped watching in the middle of season 5. sometime i'll get back to it. the Hope storyline was making me roll my eyes. i really liked season 4. i needed a break though as i had watched the first 4 seasons almost straight through.

What do you mean by the hope storyline?

Season 5 is the peak of the show. All of the central themes from the series surface and come to a head. No other season of the show has such a drastic, epic emotional arc and it's hands down Sarah Michelle Gellar's career performance.

dreamdead
06-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Season 5 is the peak of the show. All of the central themes from the series surface and come to a head. No other season of the show has such a drastic, epic emotional arc and it's hands down Sarah Michelle Gellar's career performance.

I assumed ledfloyd mistyped and meant Dawn rather than Hope.

That said, I agree with you thus far on Season 5. The whole Glory thing is beautifully woven into the framework, actions have consequences, and this season has the strongest consistency of episodes. "The Body" and "Fool for Love" are both incredible in their mythology and framework.

Nearly done with season 6, and so I can feel the difference between the two seasons. The g/f thinks this is her favorite season, and I sympathize with her because of the Spike/Buffy attraction, but the best relationship in my mind has been Xander/Anya and I'm afraid that things post-(non)marriage are going to ruin their dynamics. I know how the series ends with Anya, so I'm hoping that things remain in a shade of gray instead of casting her back in an evil light...

Kurosawa Fan
06-08-2008, 02:51 PM
That makes a lot of sense. It's really structured like an HBO/Showtime show.

That's disappointing. The sex could be an important part of the show. It's kind of anti-climactic that they keep cutting away when the orgies are supposed to be a powerful draw for the main couple and a turn-off for another. Seems like a really misplaced show.

This is why I didn't bother to tune in. A show about swingers and orgies on CBS? That makes as much sense as The Wire on BET or Sopranos on A&E.

number8
06-08-2008, 05:58 PM
I started watching Craig Ferguson. The man is hysterical. Good thing I have DVR so I can watch both him and Conan.

Spinal
06-08-2008, 06:11 PM
I started watching Craig Ferguson. The man is hysterical. Good thing I have DVR so I can watch both him and Conan.

Haven't watched him in a while, but I definitely agree that he makes a strong host. He's at his best when he does the opening monologues where he just goes off and talks without seeming to be reading from pre-written jokes.

Kurosawa Fan
06-08-2008, 06:23 PM
He's my favorite late night host. His freestyle interviewing is great. I love when guests aren't familiar with him, and don't know how to adjust to his style.

Qrazy
06-08-2008, 06:24 PM
I find Ferguson to be a mixed bag. I like his solo stuff but I don't find he's a particularly good interviewer. You have to know when to ease off on the stupidity or your guests will just get annoyed.

Sven
06-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Getting cable next Saturday! I could no longer bear knowing that awesome things were playing on AMC, TCM, and IFC, and that I couldn't watch them. No longer!

Do they broadcast in HD?

Ezee E
06-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Getting cable next Saturday! I could no longer bear knowing that awesome things were playing on AMC, TCM, and IFC, and that I couldn't watch them. No longer!

Do they broadcast in HD?
I don't think any of them do yet.

Kurosawa Fan
06-08-2008, 08:58 PM

Do they broadcast in HD?

Your excitement for AMC is perplexing. But no, none of those channels are broadcast in HD. At least not in my area.

number8
06-08-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm pissed that I don't get FX in HD. Fucking DirectTV has it. Dammit, Comcast.

(Thanks for finally getting Sci-Fi HD though)

MadMan
06-08-2008, 10:20 PM

Do they broadcast in HD?You will hate AMC. You will love TCM. I've never watched IFC so I couldn't say, but I do wish I had that channel.

I gave Swingtown a chance last week, and while there was some good stuff I'm sort of wary of getting hooked on a new show. Plus there wasn't enough there to really make me stick with the show. I agree about the whole "What's the point of having a show featuring sex and orgies on network TV?" argument.

Maybe I'll finally get my hands on Harvy Birdman: Season 2 since I got paid.

Sven
06-09-2008, 05:19 AM
Why will I hate AMC?

Raiders
06-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Why will I hate AMC?

It's the same as watching a movie on TBS, CBS or other such channels. Full-screen and commercial interruptions. You may not mind, but it is hardly worth grouping with TCM or IFC.

Sven
06-09-2008, 12:06 PM
It's the same as watching a movie on TBS, CBS or other such channels. Full-screen and commercial interruptions. You may not mind, but it is hardly worth grouping with TCM or IFC.

Blech! Never mind then. Yucka.

Kurosawa Fan
06-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Blech! Never mind then. Yucka.

Not only that, but their idea of American Movie Classics are films like Halloween 5 and Gothika. It's a complete waste of a channel.

Raiders
06-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Not only that, but their idea of American Movie Classics are films like Halloween 5 and Gothika. It's a complete waste of a channel.

I'll never forget when they aired like five times in one week this film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0201844/

I saw the majority of it, and whoo boy. American movie classic is right.

Kurosawa Fan
06-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I'll never forget when they aired like five times in one week this film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0201844/

I saw the majority of it, and whoo boy. American movie classic is right.

:lol:

My wife and I watched about 15 minutes of it one night and couldn't even laugh at how bad it was.

Sycophant
06-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Once upon a time, AMC was actually quite good. They were guilty of pan-and-scanning, yes, but most everyone was (even TCM used to do it a LOT).

Then they went to hell.

Kurosawa Fan
06-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Once upon a time, AMC was actually quite good. They were guilty of pan-and-scanning, yes, but most everyone was (even TCM used to do it a LOT).

Then they went to hell.

Yep. They used to be very similar to TCM (real classic films, no commercials, etc.). I called and complained, along with a few other people I know, when they changed their format to this current garbage. They said their ratings doubled with the switch, and thus wouldn't be switching back. The knowledge that their current content is more popular than the classic films they used to show sent me into a week-long depression.

Derek
06-10-2008, 07:21 AM

My wife and I watched about 15 minutes of it one night and couldn't even laugh at how bad it was.

You'd think a film with the IMdB keywords "Knife", "Pinata", "Midget" and "Slasher" would at least have the decency to provide a few laughs.

Sven
06-14-2008, 02:13 PM
CABLE DUDE IS HERE NOW

Sven
06-14-2008, 03:31 PM
HAVE CABLE NOW

... so those with cable as well as HD televisions, is there any way to enhance the resolution on the picture of most of these channels? It's not a detriment... I'm not really a stickler for clarity, but I was wondering if it was even possible.

Kurosawa Fan
06-14-2008, 03:35 PM
HAVE CABLE NOW

... so those with cable as well as HD televisions, is there any way to enhance the resolution on the picture of most of these channels? It's not a detriment... I'm not really a stickler for clarity, but I was wondering if it was even possible.

Not much you can do. It all depends on the signal the individual station sends out. Some stations look pretty bad, and it kinda sucks, but alas, HD is worth it.

Sven
06-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Not much you can do. It all depends on the signal the individual station sends out. Some stations look pretty bad, and it kinda sucks, but alas, HD is worth it.

That's what I figured. No biggie. I imagine next year, because of the big HD conversion or whatever's going on, things'll be changing for the better.

Kurosawa Fan
06-14-2008, 03:44 PM
That's what I figured. No biggie. I imagine next year, because of the big HD conversion or whatever's going on, things'll be changing for the better.

Everything is going digital, but I don't think that'll help much if you already have a digital receiver (which you do, since you're getting HD). Those channels might clear up a bit, but most of them are already transmitting a digital signal.

number8
06-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Really the only thing you can do is keep begging your cable provider to get the HD versions of said channels. I've got at least all the networks, HBO, Starz, Sci-Fi, Discovery and History on HD. Whenever Comcast gets FX on HD, I'm set.

Milky Joe
06-15-2008, 02:51 AM
So... I know I'm late on this, but The Wire is AMAZING. I didn't believe the hype before I saw it because I was too attached to Carnivale and bitter about its cancellation, but, yeah. Wow. And I'm only in the 2nd season.

Qrazy
06-15-2008, 04:49 AM
So... I know I'm late on this, but The Wire is AMAZING. I didn't believe the hype before I saw it because I was too attached to Carnivale and bitter about its cancellation, but, yeah. Wow. And I'm only in the 2nd season.

Is Carnivale worth watching given it's cancellation?

Milky Joe
06-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Oh absolutely. Absolutely. I'll say it again: abso-friggin-lutely. The two seasons that got made constitute the first "book" of the series' planned three-book storyline (meaning there were four seasons of story left untold), so there is a real self-contained story arc that gets completed. The next season would have taken place years later. You may be kept up nights thinking about how awesome the rest of it would be, but it's worth it.

And also, the more people that see it and realize its awesomeness, the better chance there is of HBO picking it back up sometime in the future. They still own the rights to it and refused to sell when Knauf and Marvel Comics approached them to finish the story as a series of graphic novels, so it's always possible they'll pull it back out, especially since HBO doesn't really have anything going on anymore.

Ezee E
06-15-2008, 04:53 PM
The likelihood of another season of Carnivale is probably as good as the likelihood of the Deadwood extended episodes that were suppose to take place.

So basically, not going to happen.

Milky Joe
06-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Don't be too sure. Now that Albrecht's out, who knows what ideas the new management (including Carolyn Strauss who was one of the reasons the show got made in the first place) has.

Saya
06-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Nice to hear Carnivale is pretty good, because I just recently received both seasons. Not that I expected it to be terrible or bad though, it's a HBO show after all. I'll start watching it as soon as I finish the first season of Ugly Betty, which I surprisingly am enjoying a lot more than I thought I would.

Saya
06-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Some news on the Ice and Fire series tv adaptation..The second draft of the Song of Ice and Fire screenplay is being evaluated by HBO now. The other good news is that BBC will be working on the series as well. They worked together on Band of Brothers and Rome before.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/46002.html

Ice & Fire on HBO

The latest news on HBO front is that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have turned in the second draft of the pilot script for A GAME OF THRONES, and their rewrite is presently being read and evaluated by the powers-that-be at HBO. In other words, it's the normal process, which is long and often slow. So far, the reports are good, and HBO seems to like what they're seeing... but no, there's no greenlight yet, A GAME OF THRONES remains a script in development, not a series in production.

The one hard bit of news is that HBO has reached agreement with the BBC for them to come in as a partner on the series... IF it goes ahead. That's very cool news, and I'm excited and pleased to have the BBC involved... but even so, we're still in the crossed fingers stage here, not the shooting-off-fireworks stage.

Morris Schæffer
06-16-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm going through The Shield again. I've all five seasons, but only saw the first two which I loved. Don't ask me why it's taken this long. The only reason I can think is of that I wanted my brother to sort of see the show as well, but I went ahead without him. So now I restarted the whole thing. I've nearly seen season one now. Still insanely great however, especially Dragonchasers starring the Dutch!!!

MadMan
06-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Yeah I remember when AMC used to be good stuff. And how when they showed Monsterfest it contained many old awesome horror movies, and not so many sequels and crappy new horror flicks. Alas, the channel has indeed gone into the crapper a long time ago.

I was flipping through at a friend's house last night and while coming across Adult Swim I realized that I had been missing the new season of The Venture Brothers. I wonder if there's a chance for me to catch up online, so I'll have to check their website. If not, then that's a major bummer. Summer TV just flat out blows.

Also does anyone have an idea as to whether or not ABC will continue Season 1 of Pushing Daises or not this fall? Because as it stands the show has been renewed but Season 1 clearly wasn't finished due to the strike.

Qrazy
06-17-2008, 09:00 PM
I started Code Geass... and it's awesome.

Bosco B Thug
06-18-2008, 03:59 AM
No one's watching the new NBC horror anthology show Fear Itself, I guess. Not missing much, I only got to see the 2nd episode done by Session 9 and The Machinist director Brad Anderson, which should've meant it would be somehow distinguishable in some way, but nah, pretty generic.

According to his production studio's official website (glasseyepix.com), though, Larry Fessenden is apparently directing an episode, which I'm pretty psyched about now.

MadMan
06-23-2008, 05:49 PM
On Saturday I continued slowly building my TV on DVD collection by purchasing Season 2s for Harvey Birdman and SeaLab 2021. I imagine that Season 2 of Birdman is better than Season 1, but I wonder if Season 2 of SeaLab will be better than Season 1. Only time will tell.

Qrazy
06-25-2008, 03:32 AM
I don't know that this is going to get to the level that we'll need a Kaiba discussion thread, and I don't know if anyone else besides Qrazy is watching it (if that's true, it needs to change, people), but apparently the next time an episode will air in Japan will be June 12th, thanks to tennis broadcasts. Which means we probably have about three or more weeks before the next episode gets subbed. I'm going to get desperate, I'm sure, as it's kind of consumed me. I'll be watching eps. 1 through 7 at least once more in the interim, and episode 3 a few more times than that. Episode 3 is one of the most emotionally devastating things I've seen in a while.

I hope some other people give this a shot. It's positively beautiful and is fast on its way to my favorite anime series.

I've been watching them on http://www.crunchyroll.com/ which streams unlicensed anime (and some live-action dramas, apparently) with subtitles. If you don't want to deal with downloading them and can put up with occasionally chunky video sources, it's where I'll probably be spending all my free TV-watching time from here till, y'know, eternity.

PS: It even has Mind Game up in its entirety, for those who've been waiting to see it, even if it's not in pristine quality.

Episode 8 is out and subbed. I torrent'd it.

Saya
06-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Carnivale is pretty good so far. I'm almost done with season one and pretty much liked all of the episodes. I think there were only one or two episodes that felt a bit weak. The cast is great, especially the guy playing Samson.

http://irishgothichorrorjournal.homes tead.com/carnivale_poster_2.jpg

Sycophant
06-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Episode 8 is out and subbed. I torrent'd it.Yeah, torrenting is definitely the way to go. Ureshii is doing a bang-up job with the subtitling and are providing excellent encodes. And watching them streaming does a disservice to the magnificent linework.

Episode 8 provided a pretty sharp tonal shift in the series, one that I felt the series had been building up to. It's kind of mind-boggling to think this series will be wrapped up in four episodes.

Have I mentioned how in love I am with the music in this program? It's beautiful.

MadMan
06-25-2008, 07:37 PM
On Saturday I continued slowly building my TV on DVD collection by purchasing Season 2s for Harvey Birdman and SeaLab 2021. I imagine that Season 2 of Birdman is better than Season 1, but I wonder if Season 2 of SeaLab will be better than Season 1. Only time will tell.Season 2 of SeaLab was actually equal to Season 1, although the season finale was far better and funnier than the season finale for Season 1. I thought that while it took longer to get started than the first season, the second season featured more higher quality episodes such as the one with the bizzaros, the Alvis celebration, the Vacation episode, and a handful of others.

As for Birdman, yeah Season 2 is far better right off the bat. I think that the season finale though was weaker compared to the one for Season 2, but still on the whole the show's creators really upped the show's quality. But no Lewis Black until Season 3 it seems? Huh. At least Birdgirl came in later in the season.

Qrazy
06-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah, torrenting is definitely the way to go. Ureshii is doing a bang-up job with the subtitling and are providing excellent encodes. And watching them streaming does a disservice to the magnificent linework.

Episode 8 provided a pretty sharp tonal shift in the series, one that I felt the series had been building up to. It's kind of mind-boggling to think this series will be wrapped up in four episodes.

Have I mentioned how in love I am with the music in this program? It's beautiful.

Yeah I am quite enamored with the soundtrack as well, particularly that opening track. I find Yuasa to be a master of visual dynamism. He's able to create a tremendous sense of excitement in me by fairly simple camera/object movements and the soundtrack gives it that extra kick. For instance the opening of Kemonozume right after the road/eyes bit when the horns kick in on a gradually receding black/purple screen/insignia... or the beginning of Kaiba with the slow zoom in on the planet and the receding text kicks in again and then the entire screen undergoes a color morph... or also that image in Mindgame where the camera approaches the imaginary time/clock character and right when it gets to him he sets the clock/rewinds the time from his body.

Spinal
06-26-2008, 02:40 AM
I Love the New Millenium is on VH1 right now.

They're reminiscing about Shyamalan's Signs. :|

Lucky
06-26-2008, 03:09 AM
I finally bought the first two seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I love this show.

MadMan
06-26-2008, 03:41 AM
I Love the New Millenium is on VH1 right now.

They're reminiscing about Shyamalan's Signs. :|Yeah that show is actually quite funny, although really too damn soon.

And hey Signs was pretty damn good. The last act is indeed a mixed bag but it also finishes the rather satisfying and well done character arc for the brother, who was played by Phoenix. Even if the movie wasn't scary the birthday party scene is still goddamn freaky.

Sycophant
06-26-2008, 02:51 PM
I heard someone mention that show. I thought they were joking.

Spinal
06-26-2008, 06:30 PM
You don't get to be nostalgic about things that happened 6 years ago. I'm sorry. That offends my sensibilities.

Spinal
06-27-2008, 03:46 AM
Man, Weeds really loves to loves to work its characters out of huge jams with ridiculous arbitrary plot twists rather than having them face the consequences of their actions.

Also, Mary-Kate Olsen dry humping ... awkward.

Ezee E
06-27-2008, 03:57 AM
Man, Weeds really loves to loves to work its characters out of huge jams with ridiculous arbitrary plot twists rather than having them face the consequences of their actions.

Also, Mary-Kate Olsen dry humping ... awkward.
Getting around to the second disc. Kevin Nealon isn't nearly as good, and I keep on hoping for more Justin Kirk. He just needs his own show.

The only problem with the show is that both sons annoy the hell out of me.

Spinal
06-27-2008, 04:17 AM
The only problem with the show is that both sons annoy the hell out of me.

Agreed. They're bad.

But ... Mary-Louise Parker just took off her clothes again, so onward I proceed!

Spinal
06-27-2008, 06:06 AM
Man, it was driving me crazy who the woman playing Valerie was, so I had to pause the DVD and go look it up.

It's the woman from Series 7!

MadMan
06-27-2008, 06:17 AM
Man, it was driving me crazy who the woman playing Valerie was, so I had to pause the DVD and go look it up.

It's the woman from Series 7!I was flipping around and that woman from Series 7: The Contenders was also on Gray's Anatomy a while back. I was passing through and noticed that she was on the show. I think continued on to find something far better. I'm also reminded that I never posted my review for that film, even though I really liked it and found it to be a scathing condemnation of authoritarianism and a sharp satire of game shows.

Spinal
06-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Hmmm ... too bad her character here is really unnecessary and irritating.

number8
06-27-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't know why I'm still watching Swingtown, especially since there aren't even any boobies to look at, but episode 3 ended up being quite good, actually. The way they've chosen to handle the focus of the show to "open relationship" as opposed to "swinging" is starting to form some real interesting drama. But I must admit to some bias. I don't know if I'd be as interested if it wasn't hitting so close to home.

Ezee E
06-29-2008, 02:15 AM
Weeds: Season 3 gets worse and worse by each episode. All the characters are just lazily put together, Matthew Modine being the worst of them all.

I'll finish it out, but I hope Season 4 is a little more well thought out.

Saya
06-29-2008, 08:54 AM
I just saw these sweet upcoming DVD box sets on TheDigitalBits:

HBO's The Sopranos: The Complete Series will be a 33-disc DVD box set with special packaging and some 3.5 hours of all new bonus content exclusive to the set.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx2/sopranoscompleteseriesdvdopen. jpg

HBO's Deadwood: The Complete Series box set will feature 18 DVD discs, with all the previous extras, along with an exclusive bonus disc containing 2 hours worth of new material.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx2/deadwoodcompleteseriesdvdopen. jpg

Batman: The Complete Animated Series on DVD will include all four seasons plus extras (16 discs) in special packaging along with new bonus material exclusive to this set (TBA).

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx2/batmantascompleteseriesdvdopen .jpg

number8
06-29-2008, 09:00 AM
:eek:

Ezee E
06-29-2008, 03:16 PM
I've already got all The Sopranos and Deadwood DVDs.

But not Batman! Awesome.

Saya
06-29-2008, 03:50 PM
I'll probably pick up the Batman set and maybe The Sopranos set if it isn't too expensive. I hope WB will make a Justice League set too in the future. It's nice to have all the seasons and episodes in one collection. :)

number8
06-29-2008, 09:03 PM
No pictures yet, but apparently they're coming out with a The Wire one too.

Ezee E
06-29-2008, 11:28 PM
Starting 30 Rock. It's pretty good. Tina Fey is great.

Spinal
06-29-2008, 11:48 PM
Weeds: Season 3 gets worse and worse by each episode. All the characters are just lazily put together, Matthew Modine being the worst of them all.

The fling between Modine and Parker's characters makes so little sense that I thought it was a dream sequence at first.

Ezee E
06-30-2008, 12:16 AM
The fling between Modine and Parker's characters makes so little sense that I thought it was a dream sequence at first.
I'm not sure how far into the season you are but it happens twice and both times it made no sense whatsover.

i felt like there was some type of missing episode that was so horrible they decided to just have some of the season not make any sense.

Anyone watching Season IV?

Spinal
06-30-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm through disc 2 and yes, I agree with you.

Winston*
06-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Yeah Weeds season 3 is pretty much teh suck.

Watching season 5 of The Shield. Forrest Whitaker is intense.

DSNT
06-30-2008, 12:38 AM
Season 3 was worth it just for Andy's "porn" career.

Sycophant
06-30-2008, 01:57 AM
That The Sopranos set will be streeting on November 11th for $400 MSRP. Will be buying. Looks like it's got some pretty awesome special features, including three soundtrack CDs.

number8
06-30-2008, 02:47 AM
Watching season 5 of The Shield. Forrest Whitaker is intense.

Funny enough, I found it to be some of Whitaker's best work.

God, I can't wait for the complete The Shield collection. I will drink 11 red bulls and have an epic marathon.

Ezee E
06-30-2008, 03:33 AM
Maybe I should give The Shield another shot instead of Homicide: Life on the Street.

Qrazy
06-30-2008, 03:58 AM
I still have yet to see a Sopranos episode. Gotta get on that series.

Winston*
06-30-2008, 04:28 AM
Funny enough, I found it to be some of Whitaker's best work.
Why is that funny, number8? I don't get your sense of humour.

Raiders
06-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Maybe I should give The Shield another shot instead of Homicide: Life on the Street.

No, you should not.

number8
07-01-2008, 05:11 PM

NO.

number8
07-01-2008, 09:18 PM
http://trubeverage.com/

Sycophant
07-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Started two anime series recently.

1. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, which was cute and entertaining enough, but is pretty much equal parts obnoxious and cliché. Was willing to give it a thorough viewing, but for some reason the airing/numbering order is not the same as the chronological order. Watched the third episode which was something like the eleventh episode in story order, found it grating, with very little desire to fill in the gaps now.

2. Elfen Lied, which I similarly accidentally watched "episode 10.5," a post-series OVA. However, it didn't put me off starting on episode one after that. It's a weird tonal mishmash that looks like it could be something truly special. Also bloody as hell and full of breasts.

Qrazy
07-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Started two anime series recently.

1. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, which was cute and entertaining enough, but is pretty much equal parts obnoxious and cliché. Was willing to give it a thorough viewing, but for some reason the airing/numbering order is not the same as the chronological order. Watched the third episode which was something like the eleventh episode in story order, found it grating, with very little desire to fill in the gaps now.

2. Elfen Lied, which I similarly accidentally watched "episode 10.5," a post-series OVA. However, it didn't put me off starting on episode one after that. It's a weird tonal mishmash that looks like it could be something truly special. Also bloody as hell and full of breasts.

Haven't seen the first, don't much care for Elfen Lied when all was said and done though. I don't mind fanservice once in a while, in fact I enjoy it, but the whole thing just felt like fanservice to me. It felt to me like a pretense of emotional depth for the sake of sex and violence. If something is going to be exploitative, I don't want it wrapped up in pretense/rationalization... either be exploitation cinema/anime or be genuine.

Have you seen Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan? That series is awesome.

Sycophant
07-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Haven't seen the first, don't much care for Elfen Lied when all was said and done though. I don't mind fanservice once in a while, in fact I enjoy it, but the whole thing just felt like fanservice to me. It felt to me like a pretense of emotional depth for the sake of sex and violence. If something is going to be exploitative, I don't want it wrapped up in pretense/rationalization... either be exploitation cinema/anime or be genuine. Hm. Guess I'll wait and see what my verdict is going to be. Whenever I see nudity and violence this brazen, I find myself hoping for some commentary on or subversion of those elements.

Have you seen Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan? That series is awesome.
Don't think I'd even heard of it. I'll add it to my list of things to check out. (After this: Death Note and Welcome to the NHK)

Qrazy
07-02-2008, 04:18 AM
Hm. Guess I'll wait and see what my verdict is going to be. Whenever I see nudity and violence this brazen, I find myself hoping for some commentary on or subversion of those elements.

Don't think I'd even heard of it. I'll add it to my list of things to check out. (After this: Death Note and Welcome to the NHK)

Death Note is quite good, haven't seen the second one. I'm watching Code Geass right now which is like a cross between Death Note and Neon Genesis, it's pretty awesome.

Ivan Drago
07-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Death Note is quite good, haven't seen the second one. I'm watching Code Geass right now which is like a cross between Death Note and Neon Genesis, it's pretty awesome.

The opening song for Death Note is pretty awesome, IMO.

Qrazy
07-03-2008, 02:57 AM
The opening song for Death Note is pretty awesome, IMO.

Your opinion is the correct one.

Sycophant
07-03-2008, 03:05 AM
Speaking of awesome openings, it doesn't get better than Paranoia Agent's opening. That thing's amazing.

number8
07-03-2008, 03:42 AM
The visuals, sure, but as far as opening songs go, nothing beats Hellsing and Bebop.

Raiders
07-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Sci-Fi channel is having a Twilight Zone marathon. They just showed the awesome "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet."

Qrazy
07-05-2008, 02:29 AM
Speaking of awesome openings, it doesn't get better than Paranoia Agent's opening. That thing's amazing.

I was on the subway and randomly thought about the three suicide characters episode, what a bizarre yet effective subplot.

Sycophant
07-07-2008, 03:26 AM
Episode 9 of Kaiba is out and it's great. Daniel Davis, if you read this forum, Qrazy's right: you owe it to yourself to check this out.

Winston*
07-07-2008, 03:50 AM
Started watching the Ghost in the Shell TV series. Hate the perviness of the lead characters costume, much like I hate anime perviness in general, but otherwise the show's looking good.

Acapelli
07-07-2008, 04:00 AM
http://trubeverage.com/
have you seen the first episode yet? it's supposed to be terrible

Qrazy
07-07-2008, 04:56 AM
Started watching the Ghost in the Shell TV series. Hate the perviness of the lead characters costume, much like I hate anime perviness in general, but otherwise the show's looking good.

Give into your testicles already.

Qrazy
07-07-2008, 04:57 AM

I read a post of his on icine.org and apparently he's going to start it... no thanks to us, it seems Juss has more credibility with him. *weeps uncontrollably*

number8
07-08-2008, 03:37 AM
Decided to rewatch Sucker Free City tonight.

Still bitter.

Sycophant
07-08-2008, 03:38 AM
Decided to rewatch Sucker Free City tonight.

Still bitter.That it didn't get picked up? I haven't watched my copy yet. Do you have some personal involvement with it?

number8
07-08-2008, 03:39 AM
That it didn't get picked up? I haven't watched my copy yet. Do you have some personal involvement with it?

No, just that it didn't get picked up. I see more potential everytime I rewatch it. Plus, you know, it's my fuckin' city.

Ezee E
07-08-2008, 03:53 AM
No, just that it didn't get picked up. I see more potential everytime I rewatch it. Plus, you know, it's my fuckin' city.
Yep. It had amazing potential. An almost even parallel between The Sopranos and The Wire.

MadMan
07-08-2008, 04:10 AM
Maybe I should give The Shield another shot instead of Homicide: Life on the Street.I've seen a few episodes from the latter show, but I have yet to view any of the former. Both are high on my priority list.

That Sopranos DVD box set looks amazing. Wow.

Sci-Fi channel is having a Twilight Zone marathon. They just showed the awesome "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet."I love Twilight Zone marathons. And that episode is my favorite episode from the show, period. Love the low budget FX and the great William Shatner performance.

Sycophant
07-10-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm kind of hooked on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. It's got a very lo-fi aesthetic that's very appealing and has even made Ferguson's more inane sketches enjoyable. Mostly, though, Ferguson is just superlatively entertaining.

Qrazy
07-10-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm kind of hooked on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. It's got a very lo-fi aesthetic that's very appealing and has even made Ferguson's more inane sketches enjoyable. Mostly, though, Ferguson is just superlatively entertaining.

I enjoy Ferguson's monologues (not as much his interviews) but the fact that the show looks like it has a 5 dollar budget and it's scenes are staged by a monkey is a bit of a turn off for me.

Sycophant
07-10-2008, 11:33 PM
I enjoy Ferguson's monologues (not as much his interviews) but the fact that the show looks like it has a 5 dollar budget and it's scenes are staged by a monkey is a bit of a turn off for me.I used to not care for his interviews either, so I don't know if he's gotten better or my standards have changed, but there's a real coziness to everything he does that I enjoy. It's perfect before-bed viewing while I go about cleaning my apartment or leveling up in some handheld RPG.

Qrazy
07-10-2008, 11:39 PM
I used to not care for his interviews either, so I don't know if he's gotten better or my standards have changed, but there's a real coziness to everything he does that I enjoy. It's perfect before-bed viewing while I go about cleaning my apartment or leveling up in some handheld RPG.

I just feel that sometimes a guest has a different sense of humor or wants to be genuine or serious for a moment and he'll keep on with the schtick which sometimes leads to a bit of awkwardness. Other times the dynamic works well.

Sycophant
07-10-2008, 11:43 PM
I just feel that sometimes a guest has a different sense of humor or wants to be genuine or serious for a moment and he'll keep on with the schtick which sometimes leads to a bit of awkwardness. Other times the dynamic works well.
It depends, indeed. More than any other late night show, Ferguson's seems like a one-man show and a lot seems to depend on his whims. Last night, for instance, he and Kristin Davis had a fascinating and open discussion about alcoholism and sobriety. But they kept it entertaining.

Ezee E
07-11-2008, 09:43 AM
30 Rock is really getting things going by Episode 6-7. I'm really enjoying the hell out of it.

Spinal
07-11-2008, 07:12 PM
My ranking of the 10 characters on Weeds that irritate me most:

1. Isabelle Hodes (Allie Grant)
2. Doug Wilson (Kevin Nealon)
3. Silas Botwin (Hunter Parrish)
4. Dean Hodes (Andy Milder)
5. Celia Hodes (Elizabeth Perkins)
6. Valerie Scottson (Brooke Smith)
7. Peter Scottson (Martin Donovan)
8. Shane Botwin (Alexander Gould)
9. Eve Meriweather (Sharon Sachs)
10. Tara Lindman (Mary-Kate Olsen)

I'm probably forgetting somebody.

Kurosawa Fan
07-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Why are you still watching a show with that many irritating characters? I know the answer to that question, but is she really worth it?

Spinal
07-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Why are you still watching a show with that many irritating characters? I know the answer to that question, but is she really worth it?

Finished Season 3 yesterday. I'm probably done.

number8
07-12-2008, 03:11 AM
So, six episodes into Swingtown, and I take back everything I said about the pilot a few pages ago. This show is really funny, insightful, and very well acted.

Also, I really really appreciate any 20th century period story that doesn't make constant references to the time period other than absolutely necessary (I get furious when stories set in the 80s start name-dropping Dallas and Commodore64 and shit for no reason, for example). The only glaring reference to the 70s in Swingtown so far is Deep Throat, and they managed to make it absolutely relevant to the main character's growth. Very cool.

Kurosawa Fan
07-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Finished Season 3 yesterday. I'm probably done.

That "probably" means you'll be back for the season premiere of 4. :lol:

Spinal
07-12-2008, 06:17 PM
That "probably" means you'll be back for the season premiere of 4. :lol:

Yeah, for some reason, I'm always tempted to come back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/joel_harmon/59150.jpg

Kurosawa Fan
07-12-2008, 06:31 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/joel_harmon/59150.jpg

That's as good a reason as any. I'm fairly certain we all have similar hiccups in our regular viewings. :)

On that note, glad you see you enjoyed The Last Mistress. I haven't seen any Breillat, but was thinking of ordering it. Is it a decent starting point?

Spinal
07-12-2008, 06:34 PM
On that note, glad you see you enjoyed The Last Mistress. I haven't seen any Breillat, but was thinking of ordering it. Is it a decent starting point?

Yes, actually. The stridency that I suspect might turn you off of some of her films is pretty muted here. Of any of her films, that is the one I think you would have the best chance of liking.

Acapelli
07-13-2008, 05:18 AM
My ranking of the 10 characters on Weeds that irritate me most:

1. Isabelle Hodes (Allie Grant)
2. Doug Wilson (Kevin Nealon)
3. Silas Botwin (Hunter Parrish)
4. Dean Hodes (Andy Milder)
5. Celia Hodes (Elizabeth Perkins)
6. Valerie Scottson (Brooke Smith)
7. Peter Scottson (Martin Donovan)
8. Shane Botwin (Alexander Gould)
9. Eve Meriweather (Sharon Sachs)
10. Tara Lindman (Mary-Kate Olsen)

I'm probably forgetting somebody.
how do you find doug or dean irritating

a lot of the ones you picked were only on for a few episodes too at most, but i do agree with your assesment on the rest of the list

Spinal
07-13-2008, 03:26 PM
how do you find doug or dean irritating

Because every single thing they say is snide and sarcastic. Those characters just grate on my nerves because they are so predictable.

Duncan
07-14-2008, 02:42 AM
Been watching House a lot this past week. Kinda one note, but I like it.

Sven
07-14-2008, 05:01 AM
Been watching House a lot this past week. Kinda one note, but I like it.

Can't go wrong with Laurie. He makes everything gold. There was that time when Conan hosted the Emmy's and made his way in a comic sketch through all the nominated shows and Laurie, in just a minute, managed to run away with the entire thing. Brilliant.

Edit: Here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1q_8QQO70Q
Great!

Qrazy
07-14-2008, 05:27 AM
So yeah I have no interest in watching Weeds.

Kurosawa Fan
07-14-2008, 02:18 PM
First to respond wins:

What series do I watch next, Deadwood or Homicide?

Ezee E
07-14-2008, 02:22 PM
First to respond wins:

What series do I watch next, Deadwood or Homicide?
D'oh. What a standstill. I haven't seen Homicide, but will be starting it soon.

You can't go wrong with Deadwood though.

I'll let someone who has seen both answer.

Kurosawa Fan
07-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Nope. You answered. Deadwood it is.

I was leaning that way anyhow, since it's much shorter and much different from The Wire. I feel like I need a bit of time between The Wire and Homicide.

Ezee E
07-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Nope. You answered. Deadwood it is.

I was leaning that way anyhow, since it's much shorter and much different from The Wire. I feel like I need a bit of time between The Wire and Homicide.
It takes an episode or so to get into it with the iambic pentameter dialog, but when you get to a certain episode, it'll be right up there with your favorites.

Until Season 3, I need to rewatch it, but that was completely forgettable.

MadMan
07-14-2008, 09:43 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/joel_harmon/59150.jpgI wonder if I'll find Season 2 as good as Season 1 was. I'll eventually get around to renting it and also renting Season 3 when it finally comes out.

Man I remember that Emmy opener with Conan running through all of his favorite shows. Pretty hilarious stuff indeed.

Ezee E
07-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Michael J. Fox is going to be in Rescue Me.

I don't feel very good about that. It was pretty sad to watch him on the recent AFI list.

number8
07-16-2008, 01:12 AM
Michael J. Fox is going to be in Rescue Me.

I don't feel very good about that. It was pretty sad to watch him on the recent AFI list.

They'll probably make fun of him, too.

Ezee E
07-16-2008, 01:23 AM
They'll probably make fun of him, too.
I wouldn't see it any other way.

He'll be the new boyfriend to Tommy Gavin's ex-wife.

We'll see where this goes.

number8
07-16-2008, 01:56 AM
He'll be the new boyfriend to Tommy Gavin's ex-wife.

Oh boy. Oh boy.

This season will have the most Parkinsons insult in the entire history of television.

Ezee E
07-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Oh boy. Oh boy.

This season will have the most Parkinsons insult in the entire history of television.
Mmm'hmm.

I'll wait until I see it. Surely Denis Leary has a little heart in him.

Bridget Jones
07-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Emmy noms were announced this morn.

Big long list here. (http://cdn.emmys.tv/awards/2008pte/60thpte_noms.php)

number8
07-17-2008, 07:01 PM
I am happy that Scare Tactics is back.

Ezee E
07-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Emmy Awards noms were announced this morn.

Big long list here. (http://http://cdn.emmys.tv/awards/2008pte/60thpte_noms.php)
The Wire - 1 nom

Weak.

MadMan
07-18-2008, 12:12 AM
I may tune in this year, even though I think the Emmy's at this point are even more irrelevent than the Oscars are now. I prefer the Golden Globes when it comes to awards shows.

Kurosawa Fan
07-18-2008, 02:23 AM
That's the most ridiculous, obnoxious list of categories I've ever seen. And one writing nod for The Wire after all these years is a slap in the face to what that show accomplished. Complete garbage.

amberlita
07-18-2008, 03:02 AM
That's the most ridiculous, obnoxious list of categories I've ever seen. And one writing nod for The Wire after all these years is a slap in the face to what that show accomplished. Complete garbage.

It's not complete garbage, but any good from the list (MadMen) is almost entirely negated by the gargantuan display of idiocy that is the continual snubbing of The Wire. That is epic retardation that chanting to myself "awards shows don't matter" still makes my blood boil. I haven't seen a better Drama in the last 5 years nor have I seen a more unique and charismatic character than Michael K. Williams' Omar, yet neither received a nomination in the show's tenure. Every Emmy dream ballot I saw had them listed cause shockingly we actually watch television. The Emmy voters, apparently, do not.

number8
07-18-2008, 03:53 AM
You guys know how Emmy nominations are decided, right?

Essentially eligible shows have to include themselves by paying an application fee ($450) and then the list of all applicants are mailed to a list of fellow working professionals who pay a membership to be included. These people then simply choose the shows they like from the list. It's got nothing to do with quality. It's just what are the shows they've seen and enjoy. That's why TV producers pay top dollar to pull whole-page ads on Variety to call attention to their shows. Just a little prodding to fellow Hollywood folks to watch it and vote for them.

Don't get too worked up over it, is what I'm saying. I don't think David Simon and Ed Burns are the kind of dudes who really care about these things enough to go through the bullshit.

Sxottlan
07-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Huh. Pretty implicit masterbation scene in the middle of last Saturday's Code Geass episode. Just out of the blue and then gone just as fast. Weird. There's been nothing to indicate the show would ever get this racy (genocide of innocent people in the first episode aside). While it's on Adult Swim, I am surprised they didn't cut it because it really had nothing to do with the rest of the episode.

Bridget Jones
07-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Don't get too worked up over it, is what I'm saying.
I'm not getting worked up over it, but it would be nice if the show could possibly get more widespread recognition, and this was the last chance that the Emmy voters could do their part, and they didn't. Boston freaking Legal? Seriously? (Or maybe there are fans of the show here on Match Cut who could enlighten me on the show's appeal 'cause I sure as frick don't see it.)

Winston*
07-20-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm about to start watching Homicide, number8. I thought I should alert you to this fact.

number8
07-21-2008, 03:25 AM
I'm about to start watching Homicide, number8. I thought I should alert you to this fact.

Thanks. I'll get my garrote ready just in case you hate it.

Ezee E
07-21-2008, 04:45 AM
Finished 30 Rock: Season 1 on the Netflix Player. It's enjoyable the entire way through if you're a Tina Fey fan.

Baldwin is simply awesome in it too.

The Black Crusaders bit at the end was the best.

Qrazy
07-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Huh. Pretty implicit masterbation scene in the middle of last Saturday's Code Geass episode. Just out of the blue and then gone just as fast. Weird. There's been nothing to indicate the show would ever get this racy (genocide of innocent people in the first episode aside). While it's on Adult Swim, I am surprised they didn't cut it because it really had nothing to do with the rest of the episode.

Which season/episode are we talking here. Do you mean the girl who's obsessed with Lelouche's sister? Yeah that was a weird scene.

MadMan
07-23-2008, 03:22 AM
You guys know how Emmy nominations are decided, right?

Essentially eligible shows have to include themselves by paying an application fee ($450) and then the list of all applicants are mailed to a list of fellow working professionals who pay a membership to be included. These people then simply choose the shows they like from the list. It's got nothing to do with quality. It's just what are the shows they've seen and enjoy. That's why TV producers pay top dollar to pull whole-page ads on Variety to call attention to their shows. Just a little prodding to fellow Hollywood folks to watch it and vote for them.

Don't get too worked up over it, is what I'm saying. I don't think David Simon and Ed Burns are the kind of dudes who really care about these things enough to go through the bullshit.Heh, that explains a great deal. And doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Winston*
07-25-2008, 05:09 AM
Um, Harvey Keitel's going to play Gene Hunt.

Sxottlan
07-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Which season/episode are we talking here. Do you mean the girl who's obsessed with Lelouche's sister? Yeah that was a weird scene.

It's about a dozen episodes in. I think it's the princess in pink hair she was fantasizing about, not Lelouche's sister.

Either way, I can't imagine what else the scene implied: shadow of the girl moving back and forth faster and faster and then slowing down. She's against a corner of a table and there's a magazine open to a picture of the princess. The sister in the wheelchair interrupts and she pushes down her skirt. Again, just really out of nowhere. I know there are some animes that seem PG 9 times out of 10, but then will suddenly through in some nudity or sex scene.

The show in general seems like a mix of Eureka 7 and Death Note. The girl in green hair is obnoxious and there sure seems like there'd have to be a lot of explaining from her before Lelouche would let her hang around so casually.

Can't decide if I'm a fan yet. Not right now anyway.

Sycophant
07-25-2008, 10:17 PM
America-dwellers can nab seasons of The X-Files for $20 a pop today at Amazon.

Qrazy
07-25-2008, 10:21 PM
It's about a dozen episodes in. I think it's the princess in pink hair she was fantasizing about, not Lelouche's sister.

Ah right right my mistake... still cripples... such a turn on.

I quite like the show, mostly for the storyline and tone... love that noirish score... animation-wise it's just above average. Great Teacher Onizuka has some sax (I think?) in it's score as well, can't get enough of that stuff.

Winston*
07-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Episode 5 of Homicide was fucking great. This show is quality, dismantle your garrote, number8.

number8
07-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Episode 5 of Homicide was fucking great. This show is quality, dismantle your garrote, number8.

It is going back to the box. Glad you're enjoying it. That episode is my favorite hour of television ever, no contest.

Sycophant
08-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Kaiba episode 10 is out and it's great.

Qrazy
08-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Kaiba episode 10 is out and it's great.

Yeah it was. I found 8 and 9 to be unnecessarily convoluted but 10 was compelling... although I'm not sure how I feel about Kaiba ordering those executions so easily... but perhaps it will be better explained when we learn about the bird, his parents and the computer which seems to command him as much as he commands it.

Sven
08-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Mad Men is very, very annoying.

Kurosawa Fan
08-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Mad Men is very, very annoying.

:pritch:

I've seen the first three episodes, and I have no desire to see any more. Hey, did you know that back in the fifties people didn't know if smoking was truly bad for you? Or that kids didn't have to wear seatbelts? Were you aware that men treated women in the workplace like objects? Or that psychiatry was a dirty little secret?

Watch Mad Men and you'll learn this, and a whole lot more!!!

number8
08-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Uh, apparently Freddie Prinze, Jr. is currently a writer for WWE.

What?

MadMan
08-04-2008, 03:46 AM
Uh, apparently Freddie Prinze, Jr. is currently a writer for WWE.

What?The guy's gotta make a living somehow.

Mad Men is very, very annoying.I tried to get into it months ago when AMC was re-airing all of Season 1. I made it to three episodes and I gave up. Maybe I was in the wrong mood, or I just wasn't feeling it. Perhaps I'll give the show a chance some other time.

number8
08-04-2008, 05:37 AM
The guy's gotta make a living somehow.

His wife's Buffy royalties not enough?

MadMan
08-05-2008, 01:45 AM
His wife's Buffy royalties not enough?They're still married? I thought they split up last year. Maybe the guy wants some dough of his own....

Acapelli
08-06-2008, 06:37 AM
god...mary louise parker is so fucking sexy

Ezee E
08-06-2008, 11:46 AM
god...mary louise parker is so fucking sexy
No need to waste valuable bandwidth with obvious truth.

number8
08-07-2008, 03:22 AM
That sex scene in the last ep...

number8
08-07-2008, 03:40 AM
By the way, real quick: who watches So You Think You Can Dance? here?

Sycophant
08-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Kaiba 11 will be waiting for me when I wake up tomorrow.

Spinal
08-07-2008, 07:21 AM
That sex scene in the last ep...

Goddammit. Looks like I'm gonna be back for Season 4. I was really trying to quit.

number8
08-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Goddammit. Looks like I'm gonna be back for Season 4. I was really trying to quit.

I can help you (http://fleshbot.com/5033532/previously-on-weeds-nancy-gets-seriously-laid).

NSFW.

Seriously though, they've made her a sexbomb this season for some reason. Jenji Kohan admitred as much, that this is the season when Nancy is finally completely over her dead husband hang-up and is embracing her sexuality full force. Nudity, sex and spankings all around.

Ezee E
08-07-2008, 10:11 PM
I can help you (http://fleshbot.com/5033532/previously-on-weeds-nancy-gets-seriously-laid).

NSFW.

Seriously though, they've made her a sexbomb this season for some reason. Jenji Kohan admitred as much, that this is the season when Nancy is finally completely over her dead husband hang-up and is embracing her sexuality full force. Nudity, sex and spankings all around.
She was doing that in season one though.

I have not yet watched said scene though.

Sycophant
08-08-2008, 05:48 AM
Kaiba 11 will be waiting for me when I wake up tomorrow.Final episode is out now. Why aren't more of you watching this?

Spinal
08-08-2008, 03:44 PM
She was doing that in season one though.

I have not yet watched said scene though.

Yeah, it's a little more racy than anything previous.

number8
08-08-2008, 04:44 PM
I remember when or just before the season started, Mary Louise Parker broke her foot during filming a really rough sex scene because she kicked the headboard too hard. They said they're including the shot of her breaking her foot in the episode. I thought this was gonna be it, but I guess not. Meaning there will be more racy MLP sex to come.

Qrazy
08-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Final episode is out now. Why aren't more of you watching this?

*crickets*

But seriously with all the Mindgame love I'm surprised more people haven't gotten on this.

Russ
08-08-2008, 11:42 PM
*crickets*

But seriously with all the Mindgame love I'm surprised more people haven't gotten on this.Alright, what were those links again?

Sycophant
08-09-2008, 06:06 AM
Alright, what were those links again?Download: Ureshii (http://ureshii-fansub.org/)
Streaming: crunchyroll (http://www.crunchyroll.com/)

number8
08-09-2008, 07:38 AM
God, Chris Keller and Tobias Beecher = most romantic couple on TV.

Their goodbye when Keller was transferred... *sniff*

Qrazy
08-10-2008, 03:09 AM
Download: Ureshii (http://ureshii-fansub.org/)
Streaming: crunchyroll (http://www.crunchyroll.com/)

Why weren't Popo and all those people who seemed to die dead at the end of the last episode? Seemed like incredibly bizarre continuity to me.

megladon8
08-12-2008, 12:07 AM
So..."Spaced"...am I missing something?

Kurosawa Fan
08-12-2008, 01:09 AM
So..."Spaced"...am I missing something?

If you don't like it, or don't find it fantastic... yes. You are.

Spinal
08-12-2008, 02:16 AM
"Trying ... to avoid ... clichés ... by not actually placing my brush on the canvas ..."

number8
08-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Not liking Spaced is like thinking it's okay to fuck your own sister.

Winston*
08-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Why are there only 4 episodes in the second season of Homicide, number8?

number8
08-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Why are there only 4 episodes in the second season of Homicide, number8?

Because it nearly got canceled after the first season, and NBC gave it a second chance but only with a short season order. Homicide had terrible ratings for its entire 7-year run, and NBC kept trying to get them to make it more Law & Order-y, gradually forcing cast changes to make the squad sexier. By the last season, there were no more fat old cops on the show. It's really by the strength of the writing that it maintained its integrity to the end despite not looking like any realistic police department anymore the way it did in season 1.

The only reason it lasted so long was because it kept getting rave reviews and winning awards. It drove NBC crazy because they didn't want to lose the show but the they couldn't figure out how to get better ratings without having Tom Fontana and James Yoshimura dumb down the show.

number8
08-12-2008, 09:54 AM
This is actually pretty awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsenjd07YuE)

Benny Profane
08-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Anyone catch Intervention last night? That duster-inhaling chick was a special brand of crazy. She reminded me of an ugly Anne Hathaway.

Hugh_Grant
08-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Anyone catch Intervention last night? That duster-inhaling chick was a special brand of crazy. She reminded me of an ugly Anne Hathaway.

Crap! I knew there was something I wanted to DVR last night--even though this season has been somewhat lackluster.

MadMan
08-15-2008, 03:27 AM
This is actually pretty awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsenjd07YuE)Yeah. Too bad the show had to suck so badly in Season 1 that I gave up watching halfway through. Who knows? Maybe I'll give it another shot some day.

Qrazy
08-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Yeah. Too bad the show had to suck so badly in Season 1 that I gave up watching halfway through. Who knows? Maybe I'll give it another shot some day.

Um no it gets worse in season 2 so don't bother.

number8
08-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Yeah I wanted to stop watching Heroes halfway through Season 2, but others in my house watched it and the season was cut short, so I ended up seeing the whole thing. Terrible.

I have, however, seen the first episode of Season 3, and it looks pretty good.

Sycophant
08-15-2008, 07:30 PM
I have, however, seen the first episode of Season 3, and it looks pretty good.If the rest of season 3 turns out well, let me know. It's a show I want very badly to be good. If it gets good again (for the first time?), I want to give it another shot. The four episodes of season 2 I saw were pretty much unbearable.

number8
08-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Here's my take on Heroes...

Season 1 drew me in because it was the first mainstream primetime comic book show, but it was mostly a mixed rip-off of X-Men and Watchmen. It was cool and fast-paced; even though the writing is reall terrible, it makes up for it in the thrills and twists. It was, at least, consistent: save the cheerleader, stop the bomb. It kept up that plotline for the season.

Season 2 they had absolutely no direction or tangible plot like Season 1. Kring slowed it down to make room for the usual horseshit TV drama, even though the dialogue and characterizations have always been the show's weakest point. It was just painful and extremely boring to watch.

From what I've seen of Season 3, though, they're completely speeding it up tenfold. So much shit happens in the first ep alone, and it sets up a number of disasters that can happen. The problem that I foresee, though, is that it's going to become a very cliched superhero story. The fun of Season 1 was that these were gifted people figuring out their powers and using them to deal with a number of problems that are not just "powerful bad guy". Season 3 they're introducing a few supervillains, and I just don't think the writers are creative enough to stretch that other than the expected confrontations.

Sycophant
08-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Yeah, if they can bring back the kind of manic energy that existed through the first 18 episodes or so, that'd be nice and could make for decent viewing.

However, I found the last stretch of episodes even in the first season an almost phenomenal letdown. The "action" and "suspense" was so impotent and poorly everythinged that I left the first season angry.

Qrazy
08-16-2008, 12:40 AM
Why weren't Popo and all those people who seemed to die dead at the end of the last episode? Seemed like incredibly bizarre continuity to me.

^

MadMan
08-18-2008, 04:17 AM
Um no it gets worse in season 2 so don't bother.I feared as such. I'll use that time to catch up on The Office, and finally finish The Sopranos. After that, I'll try and get my hands on Dexter, the rest of Weeds, Homicide, and maybe The Wire.

Ezee E
08-18-2008, 04:24 AM
I feared as such. I'll use that time to catch up on The Office, and finally finish The Sopranos. After that, I'll try and get my hands on Dexter, the rest of Weeds, Homicide, and maybe The Wire.
At least you got your future planned out.

number8
08-18-2008, 05:09 AM
Who else besides Winston has been following my decree to watch Homicide?

My garrote is ready.

Winston*
08-18-2008, 05:17 AM
Who else besides Winston has been following my decree to watch Homicide?

My garrote is ready.

Getting a bit sick of Bolander's love life angst. Hope he stays with the nurse from ER for a while so I don't have to deal with it.

number8
08-18-2008, 05:21 AM
Getting a bit sick of Bolander's love life angst. Hope he stays with the nurse from ER for a while so I don't have to deal with it.

There will be more. The show has a lot of angst. Every single character gets a really depressing storyline or two at some point.

Qrazy
08-18-2008, 05:53 AM
Downloaded and am planning to watch Carnivale, maybe Deadwood and then maybe The Sopranos and then maybe Babylon 5, all before Homicide... alas.

Milky Joe
08-18-2008, 07:20 AM
Downloaded and am planning to watch Carnivale, maybe Deadwood and then maybe The Sopranos and then maybe Babylon 5, all before Homicide... alas.

I'd say that's the perfect order. Enjoy Carnivale, and be sure to exercise a little patience with it. The first season can be a slow-burn at times and is more about character than anything. It's one of my favorite things ever. HBO was at its absolute peak when it was running Carnivale and Deadwood back to back. Best 2 consecutive hours of television of all time, easily.

Ezee E
08-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Lost: Season 3 certainly picks things up better than the completely mediocre #2.

Sycophant
08-19-2008, 05:50 PM
^

Sorry to be ignoring this. I'm holding off on any comment on the last couple episodes until I can rewatch them. I was very, very tired when I watched the last two--I can barely remember the finale.

Sycophant
08-19-2008, 05:53 PM
My intent is to watch Homicide soon, when I'm a little less busy overall. When I watch a TV shows, I tend to want to tear through it quickly and that's a LOT of television to tear through.

number8
08-19-2008, 06:17 PM
My intent is to watch Homicide soon, when I'm a little less busy overall. When I watch a TV shows, I tend to want to tear through it quickly and that's a LOT of television to tear through.

Man, when the wife and I first started watching Homicide, we were Netflixing it and for about 5 months all 7 seasons were filling up our Q and nothing else.

MadMan
08-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Lost: Season 3 certainly picks things up better than the completely mediocre #2.Season 2 is good stuff. The show has never had a mediocre season.

At least you got your future planned out.I hear that planning is absolutely essential. :P

number8
08-20-2008, 06:29 AM
Wow, the last Venture Bros was epic. I can't wait for part 2.

Saya
08-20-2008, 08:03 AM
I'm watching the first season of House and it's awesome. Hugh Laurie is great.

Winston*
08-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Really enjoyed the first season Ghost in the Shell: SAC. Those second and third to last episodes were super tense. Quality show.

Qrazy
08-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Almost done Season One of Carnivale... Lynch meets Fellini meets Grapes of Wrath. Good stuff.

Qrazy
08-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Honest to god though, Sophie seems completely incapable of giving a full Tarot card reading. Always about halfway through she throws a hissy fit and tells the person to leave, what a terrible businesswoman.

monolith94
08-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Qrazy - you should just keep in mind that the first season of Bab-5 is kind of boring, and the series doesn't hit its best stride until season 3. But it's rewarding if one sticks to it.

Russ
08-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Honest to god though, Sophie seems completely incapable of giving a full Tarot card reading. Always about halfway through she throws a hissy fit and tells the person to leave, what a terrible businesswoman.
My choice for one of the most annoying characters ever. Although her character arc (and behavior) becomes a lot clearer in the 2nd season. Your "Lynch meets Fellini meet Grapes of Wrath" sounds better than my "Terence Malick's supernatural dust-bowl soap opera."

Great series, tho. Just finished both seasons for a second time. Season 1 is slow-paced and all setup for Season 2, which by contrast, feels rushed with too much plot unfolding (especially the final four episodes). Guess they knew they were getting cancelled and were trying to bring a bit of closure.

One constant through both seasons is the incredible cinematography.

Sven
08-23-2008, 06:01 AM
I don't think I've ever laughed so hard than I did just now at Norm McDonald's segment of the Bob Saget Roast. My sides and neck hurt so bad.

Derek
08-23-2008, 06:09 AM
I don't think I've ever laughed so hard than I did just now at Norm McDonald's segment of the Bob Saget Roast. My sides and neck hurt so bad.

[paraphrased] "They want to murder you...in a well. Seems a bit harsh, but that's what it says here on the card." :lol:

One of several golden lines in his segment.

Sven
08-23-2008, 06:11 AM
[paraphrased] "They want to murder you...in a well. Seems a bit harsh, but that's what it says here on the card." :lol:

One of several golden lines in his segment.

My favorite was: "Your neck reminds me of a typewriter...

... Underwood."

number8
08-23-2008, 06:15 AM
The roast was magnificent.

transmogrifier
08-23-2008, 06:36 PM
So, if any of you haven't seen Father Ted, I'm going to have to look down on you as a philistine until you rectify the matter. Pure gold.

Milky Joe
08-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Great series, tho. Just finished both seasons for a second time. Season 1 is slow-paced and all setup for Season 2, which by contrast, feels rushed with too much plot unfolding (especially the final four episodes). Guess they knew they were getting cancelled and were trying to bring a bit of closure.

Well... (at the risk of sounding like a broken record) seasons 1 and 2 constituted 'Book One' of the planned story-arc, which was to consist of three 'Books' of 2 seasons each (so 6 total seasons). So the closure that comes at the end of season 2 had to do with it being the climax of Book 1. They didn't know they were going to be cancelled. From what I've heard, season 3 would have been back to the slower, more character-based vibe of season 1, and it would have been set 5 years later.

Also:

BOB SAGET RAPED AND KILLED A GIRL IN 1990

Saya
08-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Finished the first season of House last night. Loved the second to last episode in which he gives a lecture to a bunch of students by using himself as an example. Will start season 2 soon.

number8
08-25-2008, 08:17 PM
What the fuck do people see in Coupling? This shit is awful.

Lucky
08-25-2008, 10:11 PM

I just rewatched the first three seasons last week. You're insane, I've never laughed harder at a sitcom. Arrested Development may be a better show, but Coupling is funnier.

transmogrifier
08-26-2008, 05:47 AM

I agree entirely. It's sophomoric and unimaginative. I can't believe people revere it so much. I slogged through the first season and gave up after the first episode of the second. Awful.

Sycophant
08-26-2008, 06:28 AM
Salman Rushdie just introduced Three-Six Mafia on Craig Ferguson. The world is a beautiful place.

Duncan
08-26-2008, 02:02 PM
I recently saw a Law and Order: Criminal Intent where Stephen Colbert played the murderer. It was awesome.

Saya
08-27-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm 5 episodes into 30 Rock and I love it. Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin are both great in it.

Ezee E
08-27-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm 5 episodes into 30 Rock and I love it. Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin are both great in it.
Yep, pretty much. Tracy Morgan has some good moments, but Fey/Baldwin make the show watchable for the entire season. I'm not sure if that'll translate into Season 2, but I'll check it out.

EyesWideOpen
08-28-2008, 05:28 AM
Me and the wife have been watching through Beverly Hills 90210 (shut up) on dvd and it's funny how many future stars had cameos on that program. We are only on disc 2 of season 2 and so far in the series their's been cameos by Djimon Hounsou, Lucy Liu, Matthew Perry, Vivica A Fox and guest apperances by Richard Roundtree and Tiffany.

Qrazy
08-28-2008, 06:09 AM
Finished Season one of both Carnivale and Deadwood. Carnivale was very enjoyable all around. Deadwood on the other hand I warmed up to. The color palette is very drab and I'm not super huge on the production in general but I've begun to enjoy the characters and the narratives so I'm continuing with it.

number8
08-28-2008, 08:40 AM
I think it took me a while to really nail the Deadwood characters because for the first few eps, ALL OF THEM had beards and were covered in mud. The entire town was just mud, it was hard to get a grasp of what's what and who's who. But after a while you just realize how diverse this camp is, especially when you see it grow into a full fledged town over the course of 3 seasons.