PDA

View Full Version : The TV Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53

Kurosawa Fan
10-22-2010, 07:09 PM
I just finished the first season of Eureka. Very fun show. It's slight, sure, but the actors sell it with solid performances and great chemistry.

Mara
10-22-2010, 07:11 PM
I just finished the first season of Eureka. Very fun show. It's slight, sure, but the actors sell it with solid performances and great chemistry.

Oh, right. I was supposed to watch that.

But.. but... 21 Jump Street is so astonishingly bad...

Kurosawa Fan
10-22-2010, 07:19 PM

My mom LOVED that show. In fact, she owns the seasons on DVD.

Mara
10-22-2010, 07:34 PM
My mom LOVED that show. In fact, she owns the seasons on DVD.

This is the 80's as I remember them: ugly, tacky, silly, and earnest, with ankle-length skirts and a lack of hairbrushes.

Mara
10-22-2010, 07:52 PM
My mother always made me part my hair and brush it smooth, which upset me because all the cool girls had messy bouffant perms.

Thank you, Mama, for protecting me from myself and raising me right.

*single tear*

[ETM]
10-22-2010, 08:43 PM

I need shows like that in my everyday TV "diet". Eureka, Warehouse 13, Human Target, Castle, Leverage etc. - they're all antidotes to the often heavy storytelling on more "serious" shows I'm following. One has to unwind. I watched The Walking Dead last night and thought about it for quite a while afterwards. Couldn't sleep. I still haven't watched Dexter, it's just sitting there.

Acapelli
10-22-2010, 11:14 PM
;294938']I need shows like that in my everyday TV "diet". Eureka, Warehouse 13, Human Target, Castle, Leverage etc. - they're all antidotes to the often heavy storytelling on more "serious" shows I'm following. One has to unwind. I watched The Walking Dead last night and thought about it for quite a while afterwards. Couldn't sleep. I still haven't watched Dexter, it's just sitting there.
walking dead leaked?

[ETM]
10-23-2010, 03:17 AM
walking dead leaked?

Yes, the first episode. Quality is shit, but it's watchable in a pinch.

number8
10-24-2010, 02:31 AM
I'm kind of impressed by HOUSE this season so far. My fear of them not being able to keep up with last season's quality is squandered. Seriously, has any other show ever shown this much improvement in their, christ, sixth-seventh season?

D_Davis
10-24-2010, 03:49 AM
I really wish they'd release full season sets of Mythbusters on DVD, rather than the collections of various episodes from multiple seasons. Not really sure how they choose the episodes to include.

Mr. Pink
10-24-2010, 07:33 AM

Aw, c'mon. It's not that bad. Actually, there's some damn good episodes. There's one where Johnny Depp goes to juvenile hall that is particularly good.

Did you see the pilot episode? The way they set it up, with some corny, suburban white family sitting around the table eating breakfast, and then, all of a sudden . . .

. . .two guys in masks carrying shotguns burst through the sliding glass door, demanding money from a drug debt.

I was kinda hooked after that.

Watashi
10-24-2010, 08:05 AM
I really wish they'd release full season sets of Mythbusters on DVD, rather than the collections of various episodes from multiple seasons. Not really sure how they choose the episodes to include.
They need to release a DVD set that has everything cut out except for Kari Byron.

I'd buy that.

Morris Schæffer
10-24-2010, 08:16 PM
It's a bit weird seeing Idris Elba in Luther, talking with an English accent. Understandably, the man is English, but The Wire's Stringer Bell was such a formidable character, the show perhaps the most authentic, televised slice of Americana, that I can't fathom him being anything but American. So I've decided that he's American after all.:)

Adam
10-25-2010, 03:13 AM
100% agreement with the gushing over Eastbound and Down on the last page. It's such a unique show. As far as tv comedies go, Louie is probably its only rival right now in terms of artistry and singularity of vision, but I mean Louie isn't anywhere near this funny and it definitely never had anything as glorious as, say, the montage of faces on ATVs in this last episode. Might just be a coincidence The Slits played EB&D out the same week Ari Up died but, either way, that was also awesome. I'm in love with this show

And I've likewise been very impressed with Jody Hill's direction this season

Watashi
10-25-2010, 05:52 AM
Been watching Louie since it's on Instant Watch.

Um, yeah. This show really doesn't try to hide in the corner.

Mr. Pink
10-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Been watching Louie since it's on Instant Watch.

Um, yeah. This show really doesn't try to hide in the corner.

But it does do a ninja invisibility crouch in the middle of the living room.

D_Davis
10-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Man, why had I never heard of Dog Bites Man before today? This show rules.

Henry Gale
10-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Man, why had I never heard of Dog Bites Man before today? This show rules.

Yup, it's brilliant. I showed it to all my friends when it aired, and from there it's remained a favourite, even with this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwSN_hk7AGM) having showed up in our lives in different ways for a while.

But it really needs to be on DVD already. You'd think with Galifianakis' popularity now that they would want it out there. Plus, most people would probably recognize the rest of the cast members from other comedies now too. I just want them to release the unaired klan rally episode, as it would be a "new" episode of the show all these years later, and everyone involved has talked it up as being the most ridiculous and dangerously real one out of them all.

D_Davis
10-26-2010, 12:55 AM
It's streaming on Netflix now. Watched most of it today.

Henry Gale
10-26-2010, 03:53 AM
Oh nice. Netflix streaming just came here to Canada, so this may be one of the first things I check out once I get it.

Mr. Pink
10-26-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm a few episodes in and it's pretty hilarious. I'll watch anything with Matt Walsh (or anyone else from UCB). I was probably one of ten guys to watch Players regularly.

Has anyone been following Bored to Death or The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret?

I'm really disappointed with the Cross show, but Bored to Death is pretty enjoyable.

[ETM]
10-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Pretty solid episode of Castle last night. I like it when they deviate from the formula.

Mara
10-27-2010, 03:05 PM
I've been thinking a lot about episode titles recently for some reason. Episode titles are an odd animal, because for the most part, a casual television watcher will not know the title to any given episode. It's not included anywhere, so you'd only see it on a television listing, or the internet.

The odd show will include the name of the episode near the beginning, like The West Wing.

But television writers do entitle episodes, and for some reason I'm always curious what they are, and I check. Some shows have cutesy rules for the episode titles, like Friends, which always starts with "The one where..." or Chuck, which is always "Chuck vs...", or (perhaps most strangely) the original La Femme Nikita, where every episode title contained the same number of words as the season number (one word for the first season, four words for the fourth season, etc.)

By and large, though, episode titles are stupid. They are either a vague, one-word place-fillers ("Orpheus", "Meltdown") or a simple summary of the episode's plot ("Tornado Time," "The Break Up".) My two least favorite but commonly used episode titles are a re-appropriated song title, lyric, quote or catchphrase ("Who You Gonna Call?", "White Christmas") or PUNS. Oh, the HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE PUNS THAT SHOW UP IN EPISODE TITLES. It's like the writers get to the end of the script and lose all sense of shame.

It's easy for me to point out what I don't like in an episode title, but harder to place what makes one memorable or likeable to me. It doesn't even have to be an episode I enjoy for me to like the title of it.

Anyway, to try and figure out what sort of episode title appeals to me, I looked up lists of episodes from various shows and picked out titles I liked at random.

My list:

"What Kind of Day Has it Been?" from Sports Night, The West Wing, and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Aaron Sorkin uses this title for the last episode of the first season of all his shows, as a sort of review and wrap-up of what he's been constructing. I like the reviewish-feel of it. I like that it's a question.

"Evidence of Things Not Seen" from The West Wing. It's a quote, but only a partial quote, and taken out of context. I like that they didn't label the episode "Faith," which was the actual theme, but instead gave its definition.

"Corpsicle" from Pushing Daisies. It's almost too cute, but something about referring to dead frozen bodies as "corpsicles" tickles me.

"Doppelgangland" from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's fun to say.

"Conversations with Dead People" from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This is an entry where it is an accurate description of the plot line, but for some reason manages to be intriguing.

"Motherboy XXX" from Arrested Development. Hilarious.

"An Echolls Family Christmas" from Veronica Mars. I dislike most VM episode titles because they greatly abuse puns, but I really like this particular title. It sounds like a holiday movie, or a heart-warming blog entry, which contrasts nicely with the darkness and violence of the actual plot.

"Man of Science, Man of Faith" from Lost. Obviously, it's one of the great themes of the show, but elegantly stated with a nice cadence.

"The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham" from Lost. Deliberately old-fashioned sounding title, and quite a mouthful.

"A Measure of Salvation" from Battlestar Galactica. Not to surprisingly, many of the BSG episode titles are sad and poetic. This is probably the best example.

"There's no Place Like Plrtz Glrb" from Angel. Obviously a literary reference, but the insertion of a mystical dimension makes this inexplicably funny to me.

"The Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco" from Angel. Deliberately old-fashioned, again. I totally love this title. If I saw this title on a book, I would pick it up and look it over. Too bad the episode was kind of mediocre.

Anyway, this isn't a "favorites" list, since I've never compiled one, and I might be the only person with an opinion, but I hope I'm not. What makes a good episode title? Do any trends bug you? What are the best?

number8
10-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Bit random, I guess, but I like the titles of LOST episodes that continue the name: "...in Translation" and "...and Found."

Mara
10-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Bit random, I guess, but I like the titles of LOST episodes that continue the name: "...in Translation" and "...and Found."

I am so embarrassed to admit I never caught that. I mean, I caught the references, but it didn't occur to me that they were playing off the title of the show.

number8
10-27-2010, 03:19 PM
In a similar vein, the South Park two-parter in S4: "Do the Handicapped Go to Hell?" and the next episode's title, "Probably."

Mara
10-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Aw, man. Raising Hope had me giggling pretty much the whole time. It might be the strongest comedy I'm watching right now.

EDIT: Wait! There were two episodes! Must catch up!

Mara
10-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Aw, man. Raising Hope had me giggling pretty much the whole time. It might be the strongest comedy I'm watching right now.

EDIT: Wait! There were two episodes! Must catch up!

Two notes about the Halloween episode:

1. I would snuggle the crap out of Grandpa. I'm all over that.

2. Gee, the supermarket check-out girl is really pretty cute, huh? I didn't think she was too cute until I saw her in her little Robin outfit.

Raiders
10-28-2010, 03:56 AM
Yeah, Raising Hope continues to a great show.

Oh, and tonight's Modern Family was especially hilarious. The Baby Jesus moment had me literally in tears.

D_Davis
10-29-2010, 10:24 PM
I kind of wish Louie was more drama, and less comedy. My favorite moments in the show are those when he connects on a personal and emotional level to the situations and other characters. He's a really good actor.

I like how its broken up into two segments.

Pretty damn good.

Ezee E
10-29-2010, 10:27 PM
I kind of wish Louie was more drama, and less comedy. My favorite moments in the show are those when he connects on a personal and emotional level to the situations and other characters. He's a really good actor.

I like how its broken up into two segments.

Pretty damn good.
I've seen like five or six episodes. The only dramatic spot that worked for me was the poker game where they discussed "faggot" otherwise I don't care for those dramatic bits. And the comedy is basically his standup extended so far.

Acapelli
10-30-2010, 07:20 AM
I've seen like five or six episodes. The only dramatic spot that worked for me was the poker game where they discussed "faggot" otherwise I don't care for those dramatic bits. And the comedy is basically his standup extended so far.
that faggot thing is the only dramatic bit that didn't work for me at all

bully is pretty much a masterpiece

number8
10-30-2010, 03:54 PM
bully is pretty much a masterpiece

Yes, this episode is my favorite. Amazing stuff.

number8
10-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Armando Ianucci (In the Loop) is making a political sitcom on HBO starring Julia Louis-Dreyfuss called Veep, about a female senator who becomes Vice President and is out of her depths.

On the nose premise, but it should be amazing.

Kurosawa Fan
10-30-2010, 04:17 PM
I don't care if it's on the nose, I can't wait for that.

Ezee E
10-30-2010, 05:44 PM
I'll check out Bully.

Winston*
10-31-2010, 02:48 AM
Armando Ianucci (In the Loop) is making a political sitcom on HBO starring Julia Louis-Dreyfuss called Veep, about a female senator who becomes Vice President and is out of her depths.

On the nose premise, but it should be amazing.

Definitely interested in that. The Thick of It is one of the greatest and funniest shows I've ever seen.

MadMan
11-01-2010, 09:19 PM

On the nose premise, but it should be amazing.I loved In The Loop, and Julia Louis-Drefyuss is a solid comedic actress. Sounds good to me.

Mara
11-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Study (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39958047/ns/today-entertainment/) compares self-descriptors with what television shows you watch.

Kind of interesting, but not very thorough.

Irish
11-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Study (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39958047/ns/today-entertainment/) compares self-descriptors with what television shows you watch.

Kind of interesting, but not very thorough.

Beyond me how they could leave low hanging fruit like Criminal Minds off a list like that. :lol:

[ETM]
11-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Fringe has been absolutely awesome in Season 3 so far. I'm so glad I stuck with it because it really needed time to find itself.

Thirdmango
11-05-2010, 04:35 PM
;298043']Fringe has been absolutely awesome in Season 3 so far. I'm so glad I stuck with it because it really needed time to find itself.

I hated the first episode then saw a friend had it so because of all the praise went for the second episode which turned me off of the show again. When exactly did it find itself?

number8
11-05-2010, 04:58 PM
I hated the first episode then saw a friend had it so because of all the praise went for the second episode which turned me off of the show again. When exactly did it find itself?

Most people would say sometime in the second season.

[ETM]
11-05-2010, 04:59 PM

Half way through season 2, I'm afraid. But that's consistently. There have been plenty of good episodes sprinkled throughout season 1, but it was still too much "monster-of-the-week", "everyone >>> main character". It's just infinitely more interesting now that they've basically ditched the format and went full-on mythology.

Season 3 has even managed to make mythology episodes standalone so they can be enjoyed on their own, which is awesome.

You know, I should review the beginning on the show in terms of relevance. I suppose more people would come on board if they knew just what they can skip to come to the good stuff.

[ETM]
11-05-2010, 05:08 PM
;298080']You know, I should review the beginning on the show in terms of relevance. I suppose more people would come on board if they knew just what they can skip to come to the good stuff.

I just skimmed through the descriptions on IMDB... I think one can skip about a third of Season 1, the rest contains at least tidbits of the big picture. Season 2 starts well but wonders a bit, and the show becomes must-see around episode 10 and never lets go.

D_Davis
11-07-2010, 03:35 PM
I don't think it's possible for something to be funnier than Eastbound and Down S2. So f'in good.

MadMan
11-07-2010, 06:13 PM
I don't think it's possible for something to be funnier than Eastbound and Down S2. So f'in good.I've seen a few episodes lately, and its really amazing. I've decided to rent Season 1.

Henry Gale
11-07-2010, 06:41 PM
I don't think it's possible for something to be funnier than Eastbound and Down S2. So f'in good.

Tonight's the finale, and I don't think they could possibly slip up to do anything to change the fact that this has been one of the most consistently great seasons of anything in years.

Last week's episode found such a remarkable way of being really funny, and even kind of moving at the same time, but not doing either by setting its characters up for any comedically-engineered embarassment, but by simply allowing them to interract in awesome and truthful ways.

Russ
11-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Season 2 has been downright brilliant.

As amazing as Danny McBride is, my favorite is the dude who plays his best friend. Steve Little is hilarious. He and McBride have great on-screen chemistry.

Henry Gale
11-08-2010, 03:16 AM
I guess this will be my last word on Eastbound for a while, but what a perfect ending.

Those last five minutes sum up what the show can do in its best moments: make me laugh hysterically and then find myself genuinely moved just a few seconds after, and sometimes even all at once.

It's going to be a long wait until next season.

B-side
11-08-2010, 04:30 AM
Y'know, because of the implication.

http://i52.tinypic.com/1z3qjdc.jpg

Hugh_Grant
11-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Beyond me how they could leave low hanging fruit like Criminal Minds off a list like that. :lol:
I like Criminal Minds. :/

Kurosawa Fan
11-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Man, I am totally hooked on Eureka, and I'm not sure why. Well, I am sure why, and it's Colin Ferguson. The show is repetitive and very formulaic for sure, and usually not the type I get hooked on, but Ferguson is such a likable, charismatic actor, and his rapport with the other actors is so natural and seemingly effortless, that the show has an unbeatable charm. I'm already making my way through season four, and I'm going to be crushed when I catch up and don't have any episodes to watch on a daily basis. Just about every day I think about where I can squeeze in a viewing or two. It's such a fun show. Highly recommended to anyone who doesn't mind shutting their brain off and just having fun with a show and its characters.

[ETM]
11-10-2010, 04:11 PM
I know exactly what you mean, KF.

number8
11-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Well, it does have a fake Iron Man.

[ETM]
11-13-2010, 01:29 AM
Okay, Fringe just went from awesome to pure mental. Seriously, start watching, or I'm blowing the Robin Hood airport sky high in a week.

Dead & Messed Up
11-13-2010, 06:39 AM
;300031']Okay, Fringe just went from awesome to pure mental. Seriously, start watching, or I'm blowing the Robin Hood airport sky high in a week.

I'm working through Season One, and it is work, believe me. This shit had better pay off.

[ETM]
11-13-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm working through Season One, and it is work, believe me. This shit had better pay off.

I know. Just enjoy and pay attention to all the Observer episodes, and anything related to bad guys who star in Mad Men.

Irish
11-13-2010, 07:46 PM

Honestly, I don't think it does, at least not for the first season & a half. I gave the first season six episodes .. then just stopped watching.

Picked the show up again in season 2, because people were raving about it.

The first 12 episodes don't heavily depend on your knowing anything from season 1 and mostly play out the same way, ie "monster-of-the-week with dashes of government-corporate conspiracy."

It's a goofy show. Most of the time it keeps reminding me that X-Files and Outer Limits were better programs, but it does have its moments.

[ETM]
11-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Overall, the X-files had many, many more bad moments. It's a different beast from a different time. It was also first of a kind that has been done since countless times. No comment on Outer Limits. And, to be honest, you quit when Fringe became something else, Irish.

Also, please stop saying "goofy".

Irish
11-13-2010, 10:37 PM
;300180']Overall, the X-files had many, many more bad moments. It's a different beast from a different time. It was also first of a kind that has been done since countless times. No comment on Outer Limits.
I found X-Files to be at its weakest when it over relied on the multi-season conspiracy arcs.

But for monster-of-the-week? It was good, and a lot of the stuff on Fringe seems a faint imitation.

And, to be honest, you quit when Fringe became something else, Irish.

I'm still watching, working my way through the second season. Fringe is one of those shows that I watch for the little moments, one where I really enjoy everyone in the cast no matter how mediocre I find the plotline that week.

The last episode I saw was about one of the observers falling in love with one of his subjects. That was actually good stuff, a good science fictiony story.

Also, please stop saying "goofy".

:lol: I swear, not intentional just an ingrained habit at this point.

[ETM]
11-13-2010, 10:54 PM
I found X-Files to be at its weakest when it over relied on the multi-season conspiracy arcs.

But for monster-of-the-week? It was good, and a lot of the stuff on Fringe seems a faint imitation.

That's exactly the main difference - once they gave up on the X-files-imitating monster-of-the-week stuff and fully embraced the mythology, it just took off. The characters got way more interesting, the performances improved with different material, and once we got a whiff of it actually going somewhere, and not eventually, LOST-style, but soon.

I'm still watching, working my way through the second season. Fringe is one of those shows that I watch for the little moments, one where I really enjoy everyone in the cast no matter how mediocre I find the plotline that week.

The last episode I saw was about one of the observers falling in love with one of his subjects. That was actually good stuff, a good science fictiony story.

Yup, that's what I'm talking about.

D_Davis
11-14-2010, 03:09 AM
Holy crap. The new Star Gate series really, really wants to be B-Star G. Hilarious.

Dead & Messed Up
11-14-2010, 03:38 AM
;300127']I know. Just enjoy and pay attention to all the Observer episodes, and anything related to bad guys who star in Mad Men.

But you're saying "enjoy" like there's stuff to enjoy. :|

[ETM]
11-14-2010, 03:45 AM
But you're saying "enjoy" like there's stuff to enjoy. :|

I'm pretty certain the episodes I mentioned are enjoyable. I didn't mean enjoy it in general, because I found the first season tedious, too. The good stuff is good.

EyesWideOpen
11-14-2010, 12:47 PM
I've loved Fringe from the start and while it definitely continues to build up the mythology of the show it doesn't do a 180 turn once you finish the first season so if your not enjoyed it at all then I don't see you liking it any better once season 2 starts.

Especially if your saying there's nothing to enjoy. It's got some of the best characters on television and if your not enjoying their interactions from the beginning then the show might not be for you.

EyesWideOpen
11-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Watched the first episode of Sherlock last night. Damn that's some good television.

[ETM]
11-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Watched the first episode of Sherlock last night. Damn that's some good television.

Some of the best I've seen in a while. I hope they manage to make more before Freeman takes over as Bilbo.

Kurosawa Fan
11-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I've watched the first two eps of Sherlock and am loving it. I love that they treat Sherlock as almost a socially functioning autistic. He and Freeman have great chemistry, and the stories so far have been very fun to watch play out, especially "The Lady in Pink."

Ezee E
11-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Second season of Eastbound & Down is so much better then the first (which I also liked).

Kurosawa Fan
11-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Dammit people, I already watch too many shows as is! I wasn't going to add the second season of Eastbound, after merely liking the first. Crap!

D_Davis
11-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Dammit people, I already watch too many shows as is! I wasn't going to add the second season of Eastbound, after merely liking the first. Crap!

It's only 7 episodes. You can watch the whole thing in about 4 hours. More shows should be this length. I think 24 episodes is entirely too long for the vast majority of shows.

Ezee E
11-14-2010, 03:48 PM
It's only 7 episodes. You can watch the whole thing in about 4 hours. More shows should be this length. I think 24 episodes is entirely too long for the vast majority of shows.
Agreed. That's primarily why I think cable shows tend to be better then network shows because they don't have to commit to having 20-24 episodes in a season.

Russ
11-14-2010, 05:21 PM
KF: invest the 4 hrs on Eb&D S2. I guarantee you won't regret a second of it.

Kurosawa Fan
11-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Bah! Fine, I'll get ahold of them. But at this moment, I'm not happy about it!

MadMan
11-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Fringe after suffering through some crappy episodes in Season 1, can wait-I gave up on it early on, and I don't regret that decision :P

Now when the hell is Eastbound and Down Season 1 going to stop being labeled as "Long Wait?" At least I have Dr. Who Season 5 and my planned journey through all of the seasons of Venture Brothers as a refresher before I view Season 4 to keep me busy.

[ETM]
11-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Fringe after suffering through some crappy episodes in Season 1, can wait-I gave up on it early on, and I don't regret that decision :P

You don't deserve it.

Irish
11-14-2010, 11:54 PM
I think I turned the corner on Fringe. "Jacksonville" was an outstanding episode.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/02/05/review-fringe-jacksonville-recap/

[ETM]
11-15-2010, 02:14 AM
I think I turned the corner on Fringe. "Jacksonville" was an outstanding episode.

Bingo. That's precisely where it (mostly) stops with unrelated standalones.
In season 3, they've even managed to work standalone cases into weekly storylines and make them flow better with the big picture. It works very well so far, IMO.

Lucky
11-15-2010, 03:39 AM
Agreed. That's primarily why I think cable shows tend to be better then network shows because they don't have to commit to having 20-24 episodes in a season.

I completely agree. Even shows I unabashedly love (like Buffy - especially Buffy) would admittedly be much stronger with a half size episode commitment.

dreamdead
11-15-2010, 07:21 PM
One disc through Pushing Daisies and quite enjoying it. I love how individualized it feels and even the conceits (voiceover, the color scheme) that I'd traditionally abhor feel true to the show's spirit. And it just feels winsome and pleasurable to watch. Very good stuff. I hope it was able to anticipate its end and provide some form of closure.

Mara
11-15-2010, 07:36 PM
One disc through Pushing Daisies and quite enjoying it. I love how individualized it feels and even the conceits (voiceover, the color scheme) that I'd traditionally abhor feel true to the show's spirit. And it just feels winsome and pleasurable to watch. Very good stuff.

I know plenty of people who found it too candy-colored and treacly, but I was completely charmed. What a fun show.

I hope it was able to anticipate its end and provide some form of closure.

They tried to rush-tie-up all the threads, and it was a bit of a disaster.

Acapelli
11-15-2010, 08:12 PM
there's a comic mini-series that bryan fuller is doing to tie up all the loose ends. was supposed to be out already, but it's apparently still happening last i read

Acapelli
11-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Question: Is there any news at all about the Pushing Daisies comic books? —Eric
Ausiello: Here’s an update from Bryan Fuller himself: “Issue number 1 will hopefully be out in early 2011, issue number 2 is being colored as we speak, and issue number 3 is being written. Our Emmy-award-winning composer Jim Dooley and I have been talking about giving the audience a multimedia experience with the comic—specifically a score. We have no idea whether we can actually afford to do an actual Pushing Daisies comic soundtrack (because the cast has agreed to sing songs and those licensing fees are expensive), but Jim has already started composing musical cues that we will either release officially or stream for freesies online when the comic book is published. I’ve already heard the track for Lee Pace’s cover ditty and it’s fantastic.”
http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/09/22/ask-ausiello-spoilers-glee-greys-gossip/

Dead & Messed Up
11-15-2010, 08:25 PM
NBC's banking on the idea of three hours of sitcoms on Thursday nights. The schedule's gonna go Community, Perfect Couples, The Office, Parks and Rec (yay!), 30 Rock, and Outsourced.

Sounds exhausting, but there's at least one good comedy every hour.

Irish
11-15-2010, 08:37 PM
;300449']Bingo. That's precisely where it (mostly) stops with unrelated standalones.
In season 3, they've even managed to work standalone cases into weekly storylines and make them flow better with the big picture. It works very well so far, IMO.

"Northwest Passage" was another good one. I love it when the story turns specifically on a character's (bad) choices.

Henry Gale
11-15-2010, 10:44 PM
NBC's banking on the idea of three hours of sitcoms on Thursday nights. The schedule's gonna go Community, Perfect Couples, The Office, Parks and Rec (yay!), 30 Rock, and Outsourced.

Sounds exhausting, but there's at least one good comedy every hour.

I really don't understand why they think cramming all of their comedies (now those six) all onto one night is some sure-fire strategy. Even as it is I sometimes just watch a couple and then space the others out sometime later (when they had P&R instead of Outsourced). You think they would have wanted to experiment a bit, maybe by moving an 8:00 hour-long show like Chuck or even Undercovers there, instead of having cancelled the second one outright and letting Big Bang Theory continue to horribly ruin Community's numbers. Just adding to a night that doesn't seem to currently work extremely well ratings-wise doesn't seem like something that's going to turn into a win.

Community is brilliant, Parks and 30 Rock are now two of the most reliable shows on TV for me, and I still really enjoy Office, even if I now don't worry if I miss a week here and there. But this really seems like a dumb move. Bill Carter was talking about NBC recently, and he made an interesting point about how if things don't turn around for them as a network, he doesn't see them having any choice but to becoming like Fox and only going from 8 to 10 if they want to stay alive. It doesn't seem too crazy to me.

D_Davis
11-15-2010, 11:11 PM
I just want Parks & Rec back. Can't believe they replaced it with the abortion that is Outsourced.

MadMan
11-16-2010, 04:26 AM
;300355']You don't deserve it.Not my fault that the first batch of Season 1 episodes sucked.

I want NBC to move Community so that Big Bang Theory doesn't kill it out of existence. And I don't have any interest in Parks and Rec or Outsourced.

Dead & Messed Up
11-16-2010, 04:49 AM
I'm just happy that Ron Fucking Swanson will be back on the air.

http://10.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ku43dpigNQ1qzbatyo1_400 .gif

Come to think of it, Barty would love this show, given how Ron's libertarian values are kidded but never truly mocked.

[ETM]
11-16-2010, 05:06 AM
And I don't have any interest in Parks and Rec or Outsourced.

You keep dishing out disinterest as if it means something.

Irish
11-16-2010, 05:28 AM
I really don't understand why they think cramming all of their comedies (now those six) all onto one night is some sure-fire strategy.

Strategy out of pure desperation? Days gone by, NBC ruled Thursday night by stacking their best sitcoms there.

It's sorta a tentpole approach to ad rates, I guess.

number8
11-16-2010, 02:27 PM
It's exactly the tentpole approach. They're hoping that Thursday would cover their ass for the rest of the week.

MadMan
11-16-2010, 03:10 PM
;300738']You keep dishing out disinterest as if it means something.Pissed much about my disregard for Fringe? :P

[ETM]
11-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Pissed much about my disregard for Fringe? :P

I said you didn't deserve it.

I'm just noticing that you seem to have a peculiar taste for jumping into TV and movie discussions only to state that you have no interest in what's being discussed.

MadMan
11-16-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm fully willing to hear why I should give Parks and Recs another chance. Because I watched a couple of episodes, and I didn't find them to be all that funny. And Outsourced looked terrible from the get-go, plus in this recession I would feel a bit uncomfortable laughing at a show that touches on the fact that jobs in this country are being sent elsewhere.

Winston*
11-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Anyone seen Being Human? This is a much better vampire/werewolf show than True Blood.

D_Davis
11-16-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm fully willing to hear why I should give Parks and Recs another chance. Because I watched a couple of episodes, and I didn't find them to be all that funny.

It's more endearing than LOL funny, and the characters are great.

number8
11-16-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm fully willing to hear why I should give Parks and Recs another chance.

If you don't, you're responsible for DaMU living on the streets eating stale Randy's donuts for dinner.

Thirdmango
11-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Anyone seen Being Human? This is a much better vampire/werewolf show than True Blood.

agreed.

MadMan
11-17-2010, 01:15 AM
It's more endearing than LOL funny, and the characters are great.Well I did like Ron quite a bit. I might grudgenly give it another chance.

If you don't, you're responsible for DaMU living on the streets eating stale Randy's donuts for dinner.Nah, I'm sure he can crash on someone's couch. That and the fact that I'm not one of those Niesen voters, so I actually don't have an impact upon the show's ratings.

Winston*
11-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Sons of Anarchy is a really gratuiously unpleasant show.

Russ
11-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Yup.

Acapelli
11-17-2010, 07:55 PM
started watching terriers. cool to see donal logue showcase his dramatic acting ability. i've always liked the guy

hope it doesn't get cancelled, but from what i've read the season finale works as a series finale if that is the case

Irish
11-18-2010, 02:58 AM
Woo hoo! Human Target is back! /cackle

Acapelli
11-18-2010, 03:31 AM
looking forward to watching this

Qrazy
11-18-2010, 04:40 AM
Sons of Anarchy is a really gratuiously unpleasant show.

Amen to that brother.

number8
11-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Yep. Not to mention awesome.

Qrazy
11-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Yep. Not to mention awesome.

He took my child! He took my child!

Russ
11-19-2010, 01:02 AM
I LOVE the use of the Slits song

WuNy1RP-MwY

D_Davis
11-19-2010, 01:14 AM
That show is perfection.

MadMan
11-19-2010, 06:19 AM
That entire clip is fantastic. And I have to say that the Slits' cover of "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" is probably the best version of that song out of the ones I've heard.

D_Davis
11-19-2010, 03:52 PM
"That sweet tailpipe of yours did have me charmed. It put a spell on me, but all the ass magic in Mexico can’t change Kenny Powers from his core beliefs. I’m not an ass man... I’m a tit man. I like big ass boobs — now, and forever... I’m not like a black guy, Vida..."

[ETM]
11-19-2010, 04:12 PM

Aside from the new title theme and score being SHIT, I like how they sorta-rebooted it. I can see it picking up some viewers now, if it's promoted right.

Irish
11-19-2010, 05:29 PM
;301806']Aside from the new title theme and score being SHIT, I like how they sorta-rebooted it. I can see it picking up some viewers now, if it's promoted right.

It's odd to me that it took the producers 13 or 14 episodes to realize oh shit there's no women in this show at all.

But it's good that they're putting a little more money into it.

Mara
11-19-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm not sure I entirely get Eureka. It's not bad, but I don't feel connected to any of the characters, and it feels like it wants to be quirkier than it is.

Kurosawa Fan
11-19-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm not sure I entirely get Eureka. It's not bad, but I don't feel connected to any of the characters, and it feels like it wants to be quirkier than it is.

Does. Not. Compute.

How far are you into the series?

Mara
11-19-2010, 06:57 PM
How far are you into the series?

Only five episodes.

The main guy is good looking. That's the scope of my affection at the moment.

D_Davis
11-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Is that teen girl who was arrested in the first episode in the series? Because I couldn't stand her. Turned it off because she annoyed me so much, but I'd like to watch more if she's not in it.

Mara
11-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Is that teen girl who was arrested in the first episode in the series? Because I couldn't stand her. Turned it off because she annoyed me so much, but I'd like to watch more if she's not in it.

She still is five episodes in, and I don't like her. She's dirty with greasy, stringy hair and a whiny voice and there's a thing on her face.

But she's not, like, a major character or anything.

Kurosawa Fan
11-19-2010, 08:00 PM
She's in it the entire way through, but gets much, much better. I didn't like her at all either for the first handful of episodes.

Mara
11-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Good to know.

I like S.A.R.A.H.

Irish
11-19-2010, 09:51 PM
"Lemon .. lesbian Frankenstein .. wants her .. shoes back"

:lol:

Morris Schæffer
11-22-2010, 10:35 AM
news on Abrams new show Alcatraz:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47532

Thirdmango
11-24-2010, 06:39 AM
ETM, you better not tell me in two to three years that The Event has become awesome, because seriously this is so unwatchable.

Irish
11-24-2010, 02:51 PM
ETM, you better not tell me in two to three years that The Event has become awesome, because seriously this is so unwatchable.

:lol: Ya gotta give it a chance. I gave up on it once (watching the first 6 broadcast episodes) and almost gave up on it again (starting with season 2, it seemed like more of the same thing) but then really got into it around that halfway mark.

The writing does pick up, but you have to work through a lot of mediocre shite to get the rewards of a fun, engaging sci-fi show.

Thirdmango
11-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Irish, The Event hasn't made it to a second season yet.

Irish
11-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Irish, The Event hasn't made it to a second season yet.

Oh hell, I thought you were talking about Fringe. Nevermind! :lol:

Acapelli
11-24-2010, 06:13 PM
the event is really bad. although, i kinda liked the shaun and leila storyline up until we found out about the old children

i rank the show above v, but below flashforward, but they're all incredibly flawed television shows witch at times are outright awful

the cape has got me intrigued though, so here's hoping they finally get one of these serialized sci-fi dramas right

number8
11-24-2010, 08:38 PM
So I'm halfway through Lie to Me season 2. I'm annoyed that the sciencey stuff is wayyy toned down and it's turned into just another crime investigation show where every week some hardcore shit somehow goes down (two bomb episodes in a row? Really?), but I have to admit, the stories are actually pretty good.

Turns out a bunch of The Shield producers, including Shawn Ryan himself, joined the writing team on Season 2? That might explain it.

Irish
11-24-2010, 08:49 PM
So I'm halfway through Lie to Me season 2. I'm annoyed that the sciencey stuff is wayyy toned down and it's turned into just another crime investigation show where every week some hardcore shit somehow goes down (two bomb episodes in a row? Really?), but I have to admit, the stories are actually pretty good.

Told ya so!

And yeah, some of the stories are good but holy shit that show is a major mixed bag. You'll have a string of episodes that or abysmally bad but then one week a good story will turn up.

The science stuff, btw, pretty much completely disappears from the show later on. I mean, it turns into a Law and Order police procedural with the two leads walking around and barging into people's homes and interrogating them .. except they don't have badges.

[ETM]
11-24-2010, 09:28 PM

Haven't seen the last one, but yeah, they seem to be trying to steer away from anything people actually want to know more about on the show. I seriously like the premise, but we need more on that week-to-week. The promise isn't enough, and since its ratings are down to the level of all other NBC shows, there's not much hope of it ever being better.

number8
11-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Told ya so!

And yeah, some of the stories are good but holy shit that show is a major mixed bag. You'll have a string of episodes that or abysmally bad but then one week a good story will turn up.

The science stuff, btw, pretty much completely disappears from the show later on. I mean, it turns into a Law and Order police procedural with the two leads walking around and barging into people's homes and interrogating them .. except they don't have badges.

Funny enough, the show is at its best when it doesn't involve stopping some killer/terrorist. I dislike the new formula of "WE HAVE TO FIND OUT IF HE'S LYING BEFORE TIME RUNS OUT!" It's ridiculous. The premise of the show warrants a less abrasive pace. I mean, the episode where they're just clearing a widow of murder is good stuff. I miss Season 1 plots like investigating rape in the military, cases like that.

Just saw the episode where Enver Gnokaj plays a disturbed Iraq Vet. This is probably one of the better episodes so far. And more than just because Enver Gnokaj is a fantastic actor.

number8
11-25-2010, 01:02 AM
Man, the guest stars on this show are really cool, though. James Marsters, Jason Dohring(!), Felicia Day, Enver Gnokaj, Johnny from Deadwood, and now Randy from The Wire. Boy, he's all grown up now.

Watashi
11-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Amazon will be selling each season of Mad Men on Blu-Ray for 10 bucks each tomorrow through Saturday.

Irish
11-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Amazon will be selling each season of Mad Men on Blu-Ray for 10 bucks each tomorrow through Saturday.
Dammit .. I really don't want more discs ... but that's tempting.

Thirdmango
11-25-2010, 08:21 AM
if they have the same deal but with not regular not blu-ray I might go for it.

EyesWideOpen
11-25-2010, 12:19 PM
I've been meaning to start watching Mad Men forever so I ordered the first three seasons. For that price it'll be cheaper then getting them through netflix.

number8
11-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Signed up for the Hulu Plus one week free trial so I can catch up on shows on my PS3 during the holidays. So far, no complaints, but I don't know if I'll keep it for $8 a month. Probably not.

Spinal
11-26-2010, 01:07 AM
Been watching Louie. Four episodes in and I'm really loving the idiosyncracies. It's amazing that it exists at all. It's just so ... odd. And raw and personal. I particularly like the casting. The characters are unlike anything I've seen on TV before. What a cool show.

Kurosawa Fan
11-26-2010, 01:11 AM
Just wait until you get to the end. Really remarkable stuff.

Irish
11-26-2010, 01:58 AM
It's amazing that it exists at all. It's just so ... odd. And raw and personal.
^ This.

I hold my breath when watching this show. I imagine it being canceled mid-broadcast.

Spinal
11-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Amazing how long the show can go without even trying to be funny and you don't care because it's hilarious on this whole other painful cosmic level.

[ETM]
11-26-2010, 04:46 PM
So I was watching No Ordinary Family, and kept thinking about TV casting: what about Autumn Reeser screams "socially awkward nerdy scientist cat lady"?
http://www.kineda.com/photos/film/autumn_reeser.jpg

I'm finding it hard to suspend disbelief here, and it's a show about people with superpowers.

number8
11-26-2010, 06:04 PM
I wonder how many times House is going to try to convince a religious patient that god doesn't exist only to end up frustrated. I lost count.

Duncan
11-26-2010, 06:17 PM
I wonder how many times House is going to try to convince a religious patient that god doesn't exist only to end up frustrated. I lost count.

I think the last few episodes have been really bad. New girl is terrible.

number8
11-26-2010, 06:45 PM
It's been pretty boring.

Mara
11-26-2010, 08:12 PM
if they have the same deal but with not regular not blu-ray I might go for it.

Yup, looks like $10 each for DVDs.

This may happen. That's such a good price.

ledfloyd
11-26-2010, 10:31 PM
i'm trying to resist the mad men deal because i know i'm going to regret it when the inevitable super awesome 'complete series' set comes out in a few years.

number8
11-27-2010, 01:53 AM
Oh, man, The Shield reunion on Lie to Me!

Lem, Ronnie, Danny, Aceveda, Billings and Corrine are all in this episode.

MadMan
11-27-2010, 08:31 AM
;303710']So I was watching No Ordinary Family, and kept thinking about TV casting: what about Autumn Reeser screams "socially awkward nerdy scientist cat lady"?
http://www.kineda.com/photos/film/autumn_reeser.jpg

I'm finding it hard to suspend disbelief here, and it's a show about people with superpowers.Based on that pic, its clear that she's a really hot awkward nerdy scientist cat lady...

[ETM]
11-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Based on that pic, its clear that she's a really hot awkward nerdy scientist cat lady...

She's a friggin' Maxim model.

Mara
11-27-2010, 08:49 PM
So, one of my annoyances with Eureka was that most of the plots felt recycled, but... being held hostage by a jealousy-fueled artificially intellent house... that's new.

First time I've been completely charmed by the show.

Winston*
11-28-2010, 05:52 PM
9pLCQ4EJboY

Finished rewatching the first season. So good.

Russ
11-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Hey Winston, did you ever see HBO's Carnivale?

Winston*
11-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Hey Winston, did you ever see HBO's Carnivale?

I did. Liked it a lot.

Mara
11-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Alright, I'm starting to really enjoy Eureka. It's charming and fun, with nice characters, although every supposed romantic attraction feels forced and strange.

But I cannot get over how many of these plots are borrowed from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Star Trek, Angel, etc. I mean, it's cool to have little fan references (Fargo is a big Buffy fan) but downright stealing the plots is a little annoying.

Thirdmango
11-30-2010, 02:47 AM
Re: Mara/Eureka

How far are you now?

Mara
11-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Re: Mara/Eureka

How far are you now?

About halfway through season 2.

dreamdead
11-30-2010, 03:44 PM
thefourthwall and I finished out season 1 of Pushing Daisies. I am rather in love with this show, I think. Looking forward to beginning season 2 on Friday.

Olive Snook's "Don't make me cut a bitch" might be my favorite line from television viewed this year.

Mara
11-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Yeah, that might be due for a rewatch. I've been sad and stressed this week; could use some fun.

Henry Gale
11-30-2010, 09:11 PM
I realize I actually never finished the second season of Pushing Daisies, despite owning it on Blu-ray and loving everything about it...

I'll have to fix that soon.

Thirdmango
11-30-2010, 10:08 PM
I liked the first season of Pushing Daises and I have the second but still haven't watched it. I haven't really had any motivation, maybe it was because it was canceled. Not too sure.

Henry Gale
12-01-2010, 01:16 AM
I liked the first season of Pushing Daises and I have the second but still haven't watched it. I haven't really had any motivation, maybe it was because it was canceled. Not too sure.

Yeah, I feel more or less the same way, and I do think it does have something to do with its cancellation. Even though it's a show that has its unique "case of the week", somewhat self-contained mold, I think it's just the lack of actually finding some sort of closure in taking the time of sitting down and going through a series.

The same way I have trouble making the same leap into watching things like Deadwood and Carnivale, even if I've never heard a single thing to suggest they're anything but fantastic, and I do have every intention of watching them at some point, there's just not the same sort of excitement knowing there's not a planned resolution to them.

Thirdmango
12-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Exactly, I've been trying to get a friend to watch Reaper cause I know he would love it but he doesn't want to even try because he knows it does end with any resolution. There are some great shows like the one's you've mentioned but they're harder to watch knowing that I won't be satisfied with the ending.

Raiders
12-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Carnivale kinda has a resolution, more-or-less. There was certainly a lot of story that was left to be told and some character fates unclarified (though Knauf provided them afterward (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_of_Carniv%C3%A0le#S eason_2_finale_and_character_f ates)), but it does end with the "conclusion" of the first "volume" (the show was to be six seasons, three volumes at two seasons each)

MadMan
12-01-2010, 03:10 PM
;304002']She's a friggin' Maxim model.Heh. She's playing against type?

I loved Reaper, but if it ended without resolution that's incredibly shitty. But hey it was on the terrible CW network, so I'm not surprised.

[ETM]
12-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Carnivale kinda has a resolution, more-or-less. There was certainly a lot of story that was left to be told and some character fates unclarified (though Knauf provided them afterward (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_of_Carniv%C3%A0le#S eason_2_finale_and_character_f ates)), but it does end with the "conclusion" of the first "volume" (the show was to be six seasons, three volumes at two seasons each)
Yes, I have found it very satisfying overall. Sucks that we didn't get to see it all, but it's just too good to miss out on.

Thirdmango
12-01-2010, 08:19 PM
For those of us that didn't know she was a Maxim model until after we saw the show, our minds are blown.

Irish
12-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Cool article from Bill Oakley on how early Simpsons episodes were written:

http://splitsider.com/2010/11/how-we-wrote-classic-simpsons-episodes/

Includes a breakdown of a script from draft to final too:

http://splitsider.com/2010/11/the-lost-jokes-and-story-arcs-of-sweet-seymour-skinners-baadasssss-song/

[ETM]
12-01-2010, 11:20 PM
For those of us that didn't know she was a Maxim model until after we saw the show, our minds are blown.

She's also pregnant. Said so on Kimmel last night.

Acapelli
12-02-2010, 04:37 AM
just got the complete prisoner series from amazon (only $20 this past weekend!)

can't wait to finally finish the series

Thirdmango
12-02-2010, 05:48 AM
I need to figure out which order to watch The Prisoner in. It's so hard to find a consensus on the order.

Thirdmango
12-02-2010, 05:49 AM
So I really like Blue Bloods and I've been afraid it's going to be canceled since it's on friday nights and then I looked up the ratings and it hasn't dipped below 10 million an episode. That blows my mind.

Winston*
12-02-2010, 06:31 AM
I need to figure out which order to watch The Prisoner in. It's so hard to find a consensus on the order.

I don't think it really matters. Admittedly I've never finished the series.

[ETM]
12-02-2010, 06:39 AM
So I really like Blue Bloods and I've been afraid it's going to be canceled since it's on friday nights and then I looked up the ratings and it hasn't dipped below 10 million an episode. That blows my mind.

It's a perfect Friday night show - among the oldest-skewing demos out there. It's also currently doing better than CSI:NY.

Spun Lepton
12-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Finished watching Season 1 of Louie last night.

Episode 1 -- Meh
Episode 2 and 3 -- OK
Episode 4 -- Good
Episode 5 and on -- Awesome!

Irish
12-02-2010, 07:00 PM
BBC is launching a subscription based version of their iPlayer (sort of like a UK version of Hulu) for the iPad:

http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419-bbc-plans-subscription-only-u.s.-iplayer-on-ipad/

Speculation is that it will eventually roll out to other devices.

Thirdmango
12-02-2010, 08:03 PM
That has been one of my major qualms with out of country shows. It's hard for me to tell everyone how big a fan of Being Erica (Canada) I am if they abhor torrenting since that literally is the only way I can watch it unless I wait one year for the season to start on Soap Net. So that BBC thing will be excellent.

Also I've been watching the British Version of The Apprentice and I like it a lot. Sigar is a much better boss for this kind of show and he chooses not just based on tasks but who would actually be good for his own company. Having a narrator helps the show a lot more as well.

Idioteque Stalker
12-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Is there a best season of Seinfeld? I'm gonna ask for one for Christmas.

Thirdmango
12-03-2010, 02:25 AM
I'm 20 minutes into the newest episode of Psych and it is pure genius. Anyone who has watched Twin Peaks needs to go watch it.

Ezee E
12-03-2010, 02:32 AM
NBC probably looks great in its diversity numbers just for the casting of Outsourced. Awful show though.

Henry Gale
12-03-2010, 05:41 AM
NBC probably looks great in its diversity numbers just for the casting of Outsourced. Awful show though.

I'm not sure if this has already been brought up, but with NBC cancelling Outlaw and Undercovers, the main four networks are now made up entirely of white leads. Only on The CW is there Maggie Q in Nikita as somehow who goes outside of that billing.

All I could say when I read that was a quiet, sighing "wow"...

ledfloyd
12-03-2010, 06:03 AM
i jumping on the dollhouse bandwagon way too late. i'm nearing the end of season 1 and wondering why i stopped watching. once it gets away the echo engagement of the week and starts focusing on ballard/alpha/echo's 'character' it becomes a much better show.

Mara
12-03-2010, 12:17 PM
i jumping on the dollhouse bandwagon way too late. i'm nearing the end of season 1 and wondering why i stopped watching. once it gets away the echo engagement of the week and starts focusing on ballard/alpha/echo's 'character' it becomes a much better show.

Season 2 really solidifies. I think you'll be impressed.

Acapelli
12-03-2010, 03:21 PM
just saw topher from dollhouse examining some poop in an episode of it's always sunny

[ETM]
12-03-2010, 03:23 PM

Yeah, they tried the weekly format for two or three episodes again, but then switched into awesome mode.

Mara
12-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Eureka 3.4:

DANG IT. Stark was the second-best reason I watched the show.

Other than that, enjoying season 3. Season 2 ended on a really bad note-- the two-parter was uneven, illogical, and stupid. But this season has been really solid so far.

Kurosawa Fan
12-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Eureka 3.4:

DANG IT. Stark was the second-best reason I watched the show.

Other than that, enjoying season 3. Season 2 ended on a really bad note-- the two-parter was uneven, illogical, and stupid. But this season has been really solid so far.

Totally agree, and I think it hurts the show.

It feels a bit emptier without the verbal sparring of Carter and Stark. I still miss him.

Mara
12-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Totally agree, and I think it hurts the show.

It feels a bit emptier without the verbal sparring of Carter and Stark. I still miss him.

They kept it mildly open-ended. In a show with this much time-traveling and mystical happenings, he could come back.

Also, as a note of annoyance, they play fast and loose with exactly how secret Eureka is. "Super secret! Can't tell anyone! But please have ex-wives and friends and siblings over as much as you like."

Kurosawa Fan
12-03-2010, 05:07 PM
They kept it mildly open-ended. In a show with this much time-traveling and mystical happenings, he could come back.

Also, as a note of annoyance, they play fast and loose with exactly how secret Eureka is. "Super secret! Can't tell anyone! But please have ex-wives and friends and siblings over as much as you like."

Yeah, one thing the show lacks is consistency, outside of the humor. Whenever I've rated it on Netflix, no matter how much I enjoy watching it, I've never gone over three stars, because the show is so heavily flawed. Still, I couldn't stop watching until I was caught up, because it's charm is infectious.

D_Davis
12-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Anyone here ever into Monk?

Irish
12-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Anyone here ever into Monk?

I was, for a long long time. Man, I loved that show. (To me, it was never about the mysteries.)

In the later seasons they removed the teeth from it, the edge, and it became much less interesting.

It also became an example of how to completely fuck up season-long story arcs.

[ETM]
12-03-2010, 10:35 PM
I was, for a long long time. Man, I loved that show.

I thought it was shit.
:P

Irish
12-03-2010, 10:38 PM
;305947']I thought it was shit.
:P

Of course you did.:P

Winston*
12-03-2010, 10:54 PM
The Life and Times of Tim is really funny.

Kurosawa Fan
12-04-2010, 12:17 AM
I couldn't get through more than one season of Monk. I enjoyed it from the start, but it quickly became clear the show had nothing to offer beyond Monk and company dealing with his quirks. That wasn't enough to sustain me through 20+ episode seasons.

D_Davis
12-04-2010, 01:28 AM
^ That's what I was afraid of. Tony Shalhoub is a great actor, but I don't think his character could hold my interest for multiple seasons.

Irish
12-04-2010, 02:11 AM
It depends on how you come at it. If you're expecting solid mystery stories or even something on the level of Columbo, you'll probably be disappointed.

The main attraction to me was the cast, the performances, and the relationships between the characters.

Once Bitty Schram left the show four seasons in, the show got progressively worse.

ledfloyd
12-04-2010, 02:11 AM
i just finished season 1 and if season 2 is anywhere near as good the last 6 episodes of season 1 i'm going to love it. epitaph one was great, the ending killed me though, so sad. i think i'm going to end up liking this more than firefly. why wasn't i watching it when it aired? :frustrated:

MadMan
12-04-2010, 07:41 AM
Monk was decent, but only because of Tony Shalhoub. I did see the series finale, and it was just like the show-merely okay, not too shocking, some entertainment value, but overall really forgettable.

Mara
12-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Monk is one of those shows that you watch out of order on reruns while you're home sick.

[ETM]
12-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Monk is one of those shows that you watch out of order on reruns while you're home sick.

Yes. Charming but heavily disposable.

number8
12-04-2010, 06:45 PM
There's like a The Wire actor in every other episode of Lie to Me this season. I'm really not prepared to see these guys in other roles.

What's funny is that since the show takes place in DC, this season they've been going to Baltimore a lot.

[ETM]
12-04-2010, 07:22 PM
There's like a The Wire actor in every other episode of Lie to Me this season. I'm really not prepared to see these guys in other roles.

I like how Andre Royo in Fringe basically plays Bubbles from an alternate universe, cleaned up and with a proper job.

Irish
12-04-2010, 08:03 PM
;306164']I like how Andre Royo in Fringe basically plays Bubbles from an alternate universe, cleaned up and with a proper job.

I got a huge kick out of that too.

Thirdmango
12-05-2010, 12:12 AM
any time a former star trek actors find work I get giddy. Like when I see Colm Meaney in stuff.

Sycophant
12-05-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm making my way through the Dick Van Dyke Show for the first time. I'm midway through the second season and I'm amazed at how great it is, especially after about the midpoint of season one. The cast is wonderful (except for Richie), the stories are sweet and smart and fun and relatable. The relationship between Rob and Laura is intelligent, mature, and sexy (despite their sleeping in separate twin beds), and serves as a precursor to my beloved Mad About You. Phenomenal show.

Mara
12-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Alison: We reopened Section 5.

Carter: Section five? I HATE THAT SECTION.

Eureka continues charming.

Hugh_Grant
12-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Yep. Like Law and Order and the CSIs.

Mara
12-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Alison: We reopened Section 5.

Carter: Section five? I HATE THAT SECTION.

Eureka continues charming.

...a clip show? Are you freaking kidding me? Your seasons are, like, five episodes long.

Thirdmango
12-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Terriers has been canceled. :(

Winston*
12-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Terriers has been canceled. :(

I liked the first two episodes but then the third was awful and I lost the drive to download further.

Mara
12-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Question regarding Eureka:

I just finished season 3 and it ended with Carter thinking about visiting Tess in Australia. Then, in the opening credits to the first episode of season 4, a hologram of her is breaking up with him. Did I miss something, or am I on the wrong episode?

Spun Lepton
12-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Heh, when Comcast shit itself last night, I popped in the first 5 episodes of Eureka. Was surprised at how well-made it is, given its network. I'll probably keep watching.

Mara
12-07-2010, 12:17 AM
given its network

Whoa, whoa, let's not forget Battlestar Galactica, here.

Acapelli
12-07-2010, 12:17 AM
I liked the first two episodes but then the third was awful and I lost the drive to download further.
it got progressively better with each ep

have not completed the season yet, but only have a few episodes left

[ETM]
12-07-2010, 12:35 AM

I just finished season 3 and it ended with Carter thinking about visiting Tess in Australia. Then, in the opening credits to the first episode of season 4, a hologram of her is breaking up with him. Did I miss something, or am I on the wrong episode?

The actress went on to star in Eastwick, so they jumped ahead to when the two of them weren't together, only to introduce the storyline of the two of them being together in a certain way in the next season, because she was available, Eastwick being a dud and all.

ledfloyd
12-07-2010, 01:46 AM
speaking of battlestar galactica. for some reason i never watched season 4. i think it was a combination of not getting scifi and being disappointed with the latter half of season 3. and i've heard a lot of gripes surrounding the finale so i keep putting it off. is it something i should finish? although at this point i'd probably need to refresh myself on the first three seasons.

Kurosawa Fan
12-07-2010, 01:47 AM
...a clip show? Are you freaking kidding me? Your seasons are, like, five episodes long.

I said the same thing. So, so lame.

No, you didn't miss anything. The "Previously on" moment was never in an episode. It was filmed, but they didn't think it fit well enough. It will be an extra on the DVD release.

Mara
12-07-2010, 02:11 AM
Ah, okay. At least it wasn't a crossover from Angel, amirite?

I find time frames very confusing on Eureka. They talk about things happening "last year" or "two years ago" and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out when they mean. Also, no seasons. It's Oregon, right? There should be seasons.

ledfloyd
12-07-2010, 05:39 AM
http://ledfloyd18.wordpress.com/2010/12/06/2010-the-year-in-television/

stuff i watched this year.

Irish
12-07-2010, 07:14 AM

I haven't seen much of Friday Night Lights or Rubicon, but for the rest of your shows, I found your commentary and ratings to be spot-on

Might have gone a little higher on Treme's rating, because I liked all the individual story threads and found the culture of the place fascinating (I had no idea what a "second line" was before this). Ever since it aired I've been listening to WWOZ online too, which has been a real treat.

Thirdmango
12-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Shame filled Plug: I'm reviewing every show I watch on tv this week. Check out Monday's here: (I figure I can plug this since it's my birthday.)

http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews/archives/19830

Mara
12-07-2010, 01:18 PM
speaking of battlestar galactica. for some reason i never watched season 4. i think it was a combination of not getting scifi and being disappointed with the latter half of season 3. and i've heard a lot of gripes surrounding the finale so i keep putting it off. is it something i should finish? although at this point i'd probably need to refresh myself on the first three seasons.

Oh, yeah, it's worth it. The finale was so epic and ambitious that you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who enjoyed it without reservation, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a fantastic mess.

BSG might be up for a rewatch.

Sidenote RE: Gaius on Eureka: your "American" accent is terrible. Just... awful.

Mara
12-07-2010, 01:22 PM

...you're not Tongue Tied Lightning from Icine, are you? Because that would break my mind.

Raiders
12-07-2010, 01:26 PM
I no longer recommend BSG to others. I find that I love the show so much and it is very polarizing and I don't want to discuss it any more. I just want to love it on my own.

Mara
12-07-2010, 01:29 PM
But certainly we can all agree that it looked better than anything else that was ever on SciFi/Syfy? Because that was one beautiful freaking show.

number8
12-07-2010, 05:18 PM
But certainly we can all agree that it looked better than anything else that was ever on SciFi/Syfy? Because that was one beautiful freaking show.

Pschh, the production value on BSG rivals most network shows.

[ETM]
12-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Pschh, the production value on BSG rivals most network shows.

I can't imagine a film having better production values, either. Not without excess.

[ETM]
12-08-2010, 06:26 AM
Awesome, both Eureka and Warehouse 13 are back.

ledfloyd
12-08-2010, 06:31 AM
...you're not Tongue Tied Lightning from Icine, are you? Because that would break my mind.
i'm not. i named the blog before i was even aware of him. this has been brought up a few times. i should probably change the name at some point. haha.

Mara
12-08-2010, 01:30 PM
i'm not. i named the blog before i was even aware of him. this has been brought up a few times. i should probably change the name at some point. haha.

Okay, I figured. Your posting styles are completely different. It just seemed like a strange coincidence.

Thirdmango
12-08-2010, 01:48 PM
;307329']Awesome, both Eureka and Warehouse 13 are back.

Just for one week. Christmas episodes and then they won't be back again til the new year.

Mara
12-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Eureka 4.8:

Nathan, Carter, and Grant all in one episode! The show has finally reached its apex of gorgeous men. If only Taggart would come back again.

Mara
12-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Eureka 4.8:

Nathan, Carter, and Grant all in one episode! The show has finally reached its apex of gorgeous men. If only Taggart would come back again.

Nathan took his shirt off! Best episode ever? Possibly.

Irish
12-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Bit lost on Warehouse 13. Who's the young guy in the opening scene with Claudia, decorating the office?

I don't remember him at all from previous episodes.

Mara
12-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Hahaha, Callis joking about hallucinating about a "tall leggy blonde" in a "slinky red dress" nobody else can see. BSG for the win!

[ETM]
12-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Bit lost on Warehouse 13. Who's the young guy in the opening scene with Claudia, decorating the office?

I don't remember him at all from previous episodes.

It's her brother. His hair is longer, but it was always the same actor.

Mara
12-09-2010, 12:12 AM
So, Eureka is taking a page from Doctor Who with the Christmas special. Silly, silly, but lots of fun. And any time Taggart shows up, I'm a happy girl.

[ETM]
12-09-2010, 12:51 AM
So, Eureka is taking a page from Doctor Who with the Christmas special. Silly, silly, but lots of fun. And any time Taggart shows up, I'm a happy girl.

Warehouse 13 too. The plot is entirely silly, but any time Judd Hirsch shows up in anything, I'm happy.:)

Mara
12-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Okay, I'm a little behind on Supernatural, because this season hasn't been as good as the last couple of years, but... it's important to mention... that Dean just killed a twinkly little faerie in a microwave.

That's. Just. Awesome.

Winston*
12-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Hey Mara you should watch Being Human. You'd dig it.

Mara
12-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Hey Mara you should watch Being Human. You'd dig it.

It seems that has been recommended to me before. Does anyone microwave twinkly little faeries? Because apparently I find that hilarious.

[ETM]
12-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Silly, silly, but lots of fun.

Seen it. It was worth it for the music alone - Bear McCreary re-doing the standards with his wife singing? Awesome.

Thirdmango
12-09-2010, 06:33 AM
It seems that has been recommended to me before. Does anyone microwave twinkly little faeries? Because apparently I find that hilarious.

I too believe you would like Being Human.

ledfloyd
12-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Okay, I figured. Your posting styles are completely different. It just seemed like a strange coincidence.
yeah, we're both fans of the same wilco song apparently.

Acapelli
12-09-2010, 02:38 PM
god, the season (series) finale of terriers was perfect

best show of the year

Thirdmango
12-09-2010, 03:47 PM
good to know acapelli, I'll watch that today.

Mara
12-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Shows I've given up on this year:

The Office (watched a handful of episodes, they were terrible)
Chuck (watched a handful of episodes, they were terrible)
True Blood (watched a few episodes. Not too terrible, but I was just over it.)
Dexter (Didn't start the season. Am not sorry.)
Project Runway (watched almost to the end, but the show has become idiotic.)
30 Rock (watched a few episodes, but they ran out of jokes 2 years ago)

That's quite a culling. Add that to shows I like that ended last season or this season, and my television watching has actually gotten quite thin. And there is very, very little that is still playing that I'm excited about.

Whedon, Sorkin, SOMEONE save me!