PDA

View Full Version : The TV Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53

Kurosawa Fan
08-11-2010, 12:16 AM
I think I'm that guy. :sad:

You can stop thinking. You are.

Winston*
08-11-2010, 12:27 AM
You can stop thinking. You are.

Well, you're mean.

Spinal
08-11-2010, 12:28 AM
This is exactly why I have a hard time with Curb Your Enthusiasm. I can never catch up because I can only take so many episodes in a row before I want to stab Larry David.

I don't remember how many episodes I was able to manage, but I think it was less than 4. I'm sure there has to be funny stuff along the way, but boy, I was just getting annoyed.

Spinal
08-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Well, you're mean.

KF's the other guy. The guy who 'keeps it real' and then we forget to invite to the camping trip next year.

Kurosawa Fan
08-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Well, you're mean.

This is a fair assessment.

Milky Joe
08-11-2010, 01:08 AM
I've had a four-year love affair with that guy. The thing about the show that distinguishes itself from that guy, however, is that it's actually funny, unlike that guy who causes me nothing but despair.. It achieves this by virtue of the fact that no one is that bad in real life. It is actually extremely comforting, even heartwarming, to watch because of this. Adding that you--like Michael--actually feel endeared to these miserable people reminds us of what makes us really human. It's actually a pretty conservative show on the personal level. It is also really, really funny.

Qrazy
08-11-2010, 03:54 AM
The problem with Arrested Development is that the same superficiality that makes it breezy and fun also serves to put a limit on the heights to which it can aspire. We can never feel for the characters in the way that we might with something like The Office (UK) or even Seinfeld. The show is too preoccupied with deconstruction and self-reference to truly allow me to feel like I'm fully invested. It is very well written and masterfully executed. However, it is inevitably very shallow entertainment.

This doesn't keep me from calling it a great show. It does however keep me from considering it among the very best.

I cared more about the characters in AD than in The Office or Seinfeld.

Ezee E
08-11-2010, 05:29 AM
Spinal is on to something though. AD, to me, is more like The Simpsons though. Colorful characters in which you never really have to be emotionally attached to the characters to still love the show. I've watched the series 3-4 times and still think its one of the funnier shows in existence.

Qrazy
08-11-2010, 05:38 AM
Spinal is on to something though. AD, to me, is more like The Simpsons though. Colorful characters in which you never really have to be emotionally attached to the characters to still love the show. I've watched the series 3-4 times and still think its one of the funnier shows in existence.

I care more about The Simpsons than any other characters in the history of television.

Derek
08-11-2010, 05:45 AM
Spinal is on to something though.

Eh, I'm not suggesting that emotional attachment isn't usually a good thing and it's important to have it at least on some level to be considered one of the greatest shows. I'm thinking more along the lines of Twin Peaks, which I imagine people could find too odd or ironic to really care about the characters, but I'll be damned if anyone says it shouldn't be in the pantheon of great tv shows just for that. I dunno, I love the characters in that show and I love most of the characters in AD. I don't need to think of them like a sick relative for a show to reach great heights.

I care more about The Simpsons than any other characters in the history of television.

Pretty much.

Winston*
08-11-2010, 05:48 AM
http://uwe.vg/wp-content/uploads/Simpsons-Do-It-For-Her.jpg

Ezee E
08-11-2010, 05:49 AM
Eh. There's never any reason to worry about the characters on The Simpsons though. They'll all be back the next week.

Spinal
08-11-2010, 07:41 AM
I don't care if you guys disagree with me, but I want to make sure that it's understood that this is not just about me connecting with the characters. It's that the whole show is predicated upon deconstruction and superficiality. It's not just that the characters aren't deep or complex. It's that the show's pleasures are largely insular, with the viewer rewarded for keeping track of notable minutiae from previous episodes and for recognizing how the show is breaking conventions established by other television comedies. I find the best comedy to be both hilarious and enlightening - The Office says profound things about love, The Simpsons contains scathing social critique. Arrested Development is often hilarious, but rarely enlightening.

Adam
08-11-2010, 10:40 AM
I actually wish AD would've played it even less sentimental/earnest at times

http://gluttonize.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/cornballer.jpg?w=300&h=236

That's a little cornball

Qrazy
08-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Eh. There's never any reason to worry about the characters on The Simpsons though. They'll all be back the next week.

When I say I love them I mean seasons 1-8, I haven't watched the show since season 9. I also watched it when it was originally airing and there were plenty of episodes where I'd worry about the characters. I don't have to fear for their lives to be concerned for their emotional security... Bart having his heart broken by a girl, Homer and Marge nearly getting divorced, Homer losing his job, Lisa being mocked by kids at a genius school, etc.

Qrazy
08-11-2010, 02:58 PM
I don't care if you guys disagree with me, but I want to make sure that it's understood that this is not just about me connecting with the characters. It's that the whole show is predicated upon deconstruction and superficiality. It's not just that the characters aren't deep or complex. It's that the show's pleasures are largely insular, with the viewer rewarded for keeping track of notable minutiae from previous episodes and for recognizing how the show is breaking conventions established by other television comedies. I find the best comedy to be both hilarious and enlightening - The Office says profound things about love, The Simpsons contains scathing social critique. Arrested Development is often hilarious, but rarely enlightening.

Understood. I disagree with you.

Dead & Messed Up
08-11-2010, 05:04 PM

Oh, no, I get that you think AD is less substantive than other "classic" comedies, and I respect that.

Spinal
08-11-2010, 06:15 PM
I actually wish AD would've played it even less sentimental/earnest at times

That's a little cornball

But isn't it simply there to be a cornball moment and to make reference to other cornball moments on other shows that the viewer has seen? It's meta-cornball.

Dead & Messed Up
08-11-2010, 06:31 PM
But isn't it simply there to be a cornball moment and to make reference to other cornball moments on other shows that the viewer has seen? It's meta-cornball.

The full "cornball" exchange:

George Michael: "Yeah, but Dad, you're the most important part in my life."
Michael: (smiling) "That's a little cornball, son."
George Michael: "I don't mind."
Michael: "I don't mind either, buddy."

It's meta, sure, but I also think it's contextually valid. It's a father and son allowing themselves to be genuine with each other.

Spinal
08-11-2010, 06:48 PM
The full "cornball" exchange:

George Michael: "Yeah, but Dad, you're the most important part in my life."
Michael: (smiling) "That's a little cornball, son."
George Michael: "I don't mind."
Michael: "I don't mind either, buddy."

It's meta, sure, but I also think it's contextually valid. It's a father and son allowing themselves to be genuine with each other.

I'm not saying it isn't valid. I'm saying it's shallow.

Raiders
08-11-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm not saying it isn't valid. I'm saying it's shallow.

Seems pretty touching to me. I mean, it's a pretty brilliant exchange in that it recognizes it is a cornball moment and simultaneously manages to undercut it and relish in it (the last two lines are a pretty nice moment of bonding, both characters recognizing the lameness but realizing the emotion is more important than the delivery).

Spinal
08-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Seems pretty touching to me. I mean, it's a pretty brilliant exchange in that it recognizes it is a cornball moment and simultaneously manages to undercut it and relish in it (the last two lines are a pretty nice moment of bonding, both characters recognizing the lameness but realizing the emotion is more important than the delivery).

The show has trained us (with self-reference, with the narrator character, etc.) to see the machinery behind the construction of the show. Thus, when Michael says, "That's a little cornball", we know it's not just a comment on his son's words, but also a sly comment on the writing. In other words, 'we know we're supposed to be this hip, innovative show, but a little sentiment every once in a while isn't too bad if you recognize what's going on and aren't a sap about it'. Now this is entertaining and interesting - but for me, only up to a point. The show has one foot in the pool and the other safely on land. My preference is something that is fully committed.

Raiders
08-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Thus, when Michael says, "That's a little cornball", we know it's not just a comment on his son's words, but also a sly comment on the writing.

And on the actual cornball. Triple-layer deep!

Spinal
08-11-2010, 08:23 PM
And on the actual cornball. Triple-layer deep!

Ha, yes!

Spinal
08-12-2010, 05:31 AM
A while back I mentioned that a close friend of mine was going to be on Intervention because of his sister's alcohol use. Apparently, it has aired. The full episode is not on the Intervention website yet, so I have not seen it yet. But after watching this short clip (http://www.aetv.com/intervention/video/?bcpid=53411497001&bclid=105201209001&bctid=260806345001), I'm not entirely sure that I want to. This was very hard for me to watch, knowing this family for years and years growing up. My friend Trent is the older brother and the second to speak. His father, who sits beside him, but does not speak in this clip, was my baseball coach for a year.

I just had dinner with Trent yesterday. He said that his mother ended up coming across as the villian in the show and that it was upsetting to see that. He had no illusions about how reality TV works and understood going in that manipulative editing would be a part of the deal. But he said it was worth it to get sister some much needed help. Apparently, she is doing better.

number8
08-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah, Intervention is kind of a soul-selling endeavor. You ask for genuine professional help, at the cost of letting them basically play with your family. I personally hate how the show is put together and the fact that it is a weekly fixation for some people, but that's how they get the money to pay for these treatments. Cest la vie.

Ezee E
08-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Yeah. That show isn't for me. I haven't and won't bother checking it out.

Qrazy
08-12-2010, 03:06 PM
The Good Guys is easily digestible but ultimately a fairly crappy show. Every episode is the exact same thing and it's just as stupid every time.

[ETM]
08-12-2010, 08:44 PM
I can't get enough of "Sherlock". The second episode was less brilliant, but the pilot is one of my favorite TV episodes ever. It's Moffat, so it's quite well written, marvelously shot and clever, and the cast is perfect. I recommend this over the crappy flick... in fact, forget the Downey vehicle.

number8
08-12-2010, 08:45 PM
More fitting casting, too.

[ETM]
08-12-2010, 10:30 PM
More fitting casting, too.

Definitely. And I've just seen the third episode... well, that was an epic hour and a half indeed. Loved the ending, too.

number8
08-12-2010, 10:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/qEg7y.jpg

Spinal
08-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Tuesday is my favorite. :lol:

Thirdmango
08-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Sherlock is Moffat? That's all I need to start watching. Also watched the first three episodes of Identity. It's pretty good, it's another British show which is starred by a former Wire actor. This time it's mayor of Baltimore. It's pretty decent, the first episode was probably the best, anyone else watching this?

[ETM]
08-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Sherlock is Moffat?

Indeed. Moffat wrote the pilot, the second one is by Thompson and isn't as good, while Mark Gatiss (who also has a big role on the show) co-wrote the third one with Moffat, I think.

Sxottlan
08-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Another season of The Next Food Network Star. It was a pretty weak group of contestants this year. Everyone seemed to have noticeable flaws. One, Dzinza or whatever her name was, came across as self-absorbed and just plain crazy. No one could even bring themselves to pretend to be sorry she was leaving when she got booted. I wonder how many people applied to the show that they let on people with obvious issues.

More likely the show's producers let them as clear sources of drama and conflict. There are such drastic changes in personality for some of the contestants thanks to the editing. In the finale for example, the three contestants each conveniently do a bad take on their pilot due to the exact problems they've had throughout the show. There's all this drama. Oh no, can I do it? Then boom, they record the pilots again for the three finalists and they're perfectly fine. Makes you wonder if anyone breezed through their pilots in one take and they staged the problems afterward? Certainly a lot of the reactions from the focus group, also seen the same way in last year's finale, seemed so forced and unreal. Seriously, any little joke, no matter how lame, would then cut to a shot of the crowd and judges practically rolling around on the floor laughing.

Ultimately, it's a shame Tom didn't win. He came across as this schlub in the early episodes and improbably made it to the end. I pegged him to get booted by the second episode and I started to root for him when he stayed on. It would have been nice to have someone like that (apparently someone currently unemployed) win for a change.

No, couldn't have that. Aarti was the next person I was rooting for and so I'm okay with her winning. Why again was the final episode between three people and not two like in years' past? It almost seemed like it was done intentionally to split the vote for the guys so they could go with Aarti. I've remarked that they don't seem to have much Indian influence on the Food Network and this would be a pretty transparent way of getting that done.

Mara
08-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Watched the first hour or so of "Sherlock." Thoughts:

1. Charming. Well-paced, wittily written, doesn't feel like it's forcing or pushing the characters.

2. Benedict Cumberbatch is the greatest name that has ever been given to a human person. I started thinking I wanted marry a Benedict Cumberbatch, but then decided instead to give birth to a son and name him Benedict Cumberbatch, but after much thought I have decided to have a sex change and change my own name to Benedict Cumberbatch because it's just that awesome.

3. Yeesh, Martin Freeman has aged twenty years in the last eight years.

4. Rupert Graves, on the other hand, never seems to age at all.

Ezee E
08-18-2010, 05:00 AM
Those of you who haven't seen Breaking Bad need to get into it. They have standalone episodes in the second season that are more suspenseful then most great movies. Good stuff there.

amberlita
08-18-2010, 05:12 PM
I am still a little broken hearted that Mara watched a couple episodes and decided to give up on it. Usually I get mad about these things, but that kind of hurts my feelings for some reason. Why couldn't she have liked it? WHY?!

Incidentally I did get my sister to watch the first couple seasons on DVD and I think she kinda loved it. She's got a husband a job a 2 year old and such but she still made time to go through that show in about 2 or 3 weeks. Happy! She says Hank is her favorite.

Mara
08-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Usually I get mad about these things, but that kind of hurts my feelings for some reason. Why couldn't she have liked it? WHY?!

BECAUSE I'M A WIMP.

As a matter of fact, I've given up on True Blood. Too much True Bloodiness for me. I'm sensitive.

amberlita
08-18-2010, 05:25 PM
BECAUSE I'M A WIMP.

As a matter of fact, I've given up on True Blood. Too much True Bloodiness for me. I'm sensitive.

WHAT?!

Mara
08-18-2010, 05:50 PM
WHAT?!

I said to myself, Self, you're spending half of each episode sickened by yucky stuff. I said, let's take a few weeks off and see if I miss it. And I haven't, which sort of speaks to my commitment level, since Doctor Who has been off the air for only a few weeks and I miss it terribly.

number8
08-18-2010, 06:08 PM
I said to myself, Self, you're spending half of each episode sickened by yucky stuff.

We are the same, you and I. Except opposites.

Mara
08-18-2010, 06:12 PM
We are the same, you and I. Except opposites.

That's probably not entirely inaccurate.

number8
08-18-2010, 06:22 PM
That's probably not entirely inaccurate.

If I wasn't trying to not be untruthful, I'd say I may not don't disagree for the most part. Maybe.

Mara
08-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Double negatives are for the unambitious.

number8
08-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Double negatives are for the unambitious.

Well, when you say it like that, it sounds so negative.

amberlita
08-18-2010, 06:34 PM
I said to myself, Self, you're spending half of each episode sickened by yucky stuff. I said, let's take a few weeks off and see if I miss it. And I haven't, which sort of speaks to my commitment level, since Doctor Who has been off the air for only a few weeks and I miss it terribly.

Well, while you were off not missing it what you missed was naked Skarsgard. Naked. Skarsgard.

Mara
08-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Well, while you were off not missing it what you missed was naked Skarsgard. Naked. Skarsgard.

There's only so many times they can play that ace.

amberlita
08-18-2010, 06:43 PM
There's only so many times they can play that ace.

I would probably enjoy the show more if that was the only card they ever played.

Mara
08-18-2010, 07:26 PM
I would probably enjoy the show more if that was the only card they ever played.

I had to do a cost-benefit analysis on the show, and Skarsgard nekkidness factored in. But I was uncomfortable with the violence and bored with the 30+ main characters and 17+ storylines.

Mara
08-19-2010, 06:55 PM
The second episode of "Sherlock" was disappointing, but the third was notably better (except for the ugly, painful and slightly ridiculous scene in the planetarium.)

I'm not sure I really have a handle on Dr. Watson yet-- he's the straight man, sure, but can't he have a personality? Perhaps he could be funny?

Acapelli
08-20-2010, 04:22 AM
The second episode of "Sherlock" was disappointing, but the third was notably better (except for the ugly, painful and slightly ridiculous scene in the planetarium.)

I'm not sure I really have a handle on Dr. Watson yet-- he's the straight man, sure, but can't he have a personality? Perhaps he could be funny?
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3898/watsonsm.png

MadMan
08-20-2010, 05:59 AM
I finally finished Season 1 of Arrested Development.

Despite some weak moments in some of the episodes, it was incredibly funny, at times utterly hilarious. Many great episodes, especially ones like "My Mother, The Car," and the characters are all awesome. I know that Ron Howard is merely one of the people responsible for it existing, but this has to be the best thing he's ever done.

Now on to Season 2.

Mara
08-20-2010, 12:38 PM
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3898/watsonsm.png

Ha!

I'm pretty sure wanting him to be funny is just me missing Tim Canterbury. I shall change my wish to hoping he could be charming. Because right now he's just dull.

number8
08-20-2010, 01:24 PM
I loved the follow-up too. Kate Beaton <3

http://www.harkavagrant.com/history/watsonandholmes2sm.png

Acapelli
08-20-2010, 04:01 PM
this week's louie was some next level shit

it's beyond me that he could go from garbage like lucky louie to this

Sven
08-20-2010, 05:56 PM
this week's louie was some next level shit

it's beyond me that he could go from garbage like lucky louie to this

I just saw the fourth episode and the scene with the cop at the end is one of the best I've seen on tv. Perfection.

Milky Joe
08-21-2010, 01:31 AM
I actually liked Lucky Louie, so I guess I should start watching this.

Qrazy
08-21-2010, 04:51 AM
I just saw the fourth episode and the scene with the cop at the end is one of the best I've seen on tv. Perfection.

Fairly derivative of Fear and Loathing, except not nearly as funny as Gary Busey.

Acapelli
08-21-2010, 07:03 AM
Fairly derivative of Fear and Loathing, except not nearly as funny as Gary Busey.
i don't recall any scene at all like this in fear and loathing

Sven
08-21-2010, 07:42 AM
i don't recall any scene at all like this in fear and loathing

Gary Busey demands a kiss from Depp's character. Not really the same at all, save for that one element. Louie did it much better. Agree that the cop was not as LOL-y as Busey, but that wasn't really the point.

[ETM]
08-21-2010, 09:04 AM
I shall change my wish to hoping he could be charming.

My wish will remain simply "More than three episodes, please".

[ETM]
08-21-2010, 05:33 PM
They starter airing the remaining episodes of Better Off Ted last night.:pritch:

Acapelli
08-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Gary Busey demands a kiss from Depp's character. Not really the same at all, save for that one element. Louie did it much better. Agree that the cop was not as LOL-y as Busey, but that wasn't really the point.
for some reason i was thinking of the "your dad is dead" scene in that jewish godfather movie he was shooting. one of my favorites

"Your dad is dead. Ugh."

Winston*
08-22-2010, 11:04 AM
From Louie
http://i33.tinypic.com/drblh3.gif

Hugh_Grant
08-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Another season of The Next Food Network Star...
Ultimately, it's a shame Tom didn't win. He came across as this schlub in the early episodes and improbably made it to the end. I pegged him to get booted by the second episode and I started to root for him when he stayed on. It would have been nice to have someone like that (apparently someone currently unemployed) win for a change.

Someone else watches The Next Food Network Star? Rock on.
I agree about this season's crop of contestants, and about Tom. While he didn't win TNFNS, he will have his own show on Food Network this fall, similar to the fate of Season 4's runner-up, Adam Gertler.

I hope Aarti gets to change the name of her show. Aarti Party? Ugh. She didn't bug me the way that last season's winner, Melissa, did. I'll watch her show, despite its silly name.

ETA: The Food Network's spinoff, The Cooking Channel, features some at least one show with an Indian theme.

Thirdmango
08-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Just watched the first two episodes of Sherlock. Very fun. The second was much worse then the first, but the first was really good. Also Martin Freeman, yay!

Mara
08-23-2010, 06:02 PM
;282911']They starter airing the remaining episodes of Better Off Ted last night.:pritch:

...I actually genuinely forgot how hilarious this show it.

"THANK YOU. I now have a good reason not to be implanted with an orangutan embryo."

[ETM]
08-24-2010, 09:28 AM
I liked how everyone spelled it "orangutang".

Sounds like monkey fragrance.

Hugh_Grant
08-24-2010, 03:58 PM
I just wanted to say that I love Intervention. Aside from The Amazing Race, it's my favorite reality television show.

Sycophant
08-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Wow. I loved, loved the "Bully" episode of Louie. Maybe my favorite yet.

Henry Gale
08-25-2010, 10:56 PM

I just watched the first nine episodes in two or three days, and that one was such a great way to finish it off. There's so much great stuff in this show, as brief as each episode feels, I can only see the structuring and ideas in them coming together better over time, and then it'll likely becoming one of my favourite shows around.

Qrazy
08-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Ugh.

Acapelli
08-26-2010, 03:42 AM
yeah. so happy they renewed it

Morris Schæffer
08-26-2010, 10:50 AM
A 1987 casting sheet for Star Trek: TNG:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46275

Wesley Snipes as LaForge!!

Thirdmango
08-26-2010, 04:33 PM
A 1987 casting sheet for Star Trek: TNG:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46275

Wesley Snipes as LaForge!!

When I read something like this it always reminds me of the Behind The Music for Metallica when it was revealed that Les Claypool was almost their bassist after their first bassist died and how weird life would be because of that one choice. Parallel Universes!

Mara
08-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Who is this handsome man? Can you place him?

HINT: He's on a very popular television show.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/Sam2BPage2BAugust2BMan2BMagazi ne2B3.jpg

number8
08-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Jared Padalecki?

Mara
08-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Jared Padalecki?

Nope.

(I found the actor nearly unrecognizable in this picture, myself.)

number8
08-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Oh! It's Joan's husband.

Mara
08-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Oh! It's Joan's husband.

Yep! Greg-the-horrible is a secret hottie.

Hugh_Grant
08-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Is anyone watching Rubicon? Based on the show's ratings, probably not.

amberlita
08-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Is anyone watching Rubicon? Based on the show's ratings, probably not.

Unfortunately, I couldn't even muster up the interest to watch the first episode. I tried to force it, because it's AMC and they have my two favorite shows on television right now, plus I like that lead actor and the cinematography looked great. I kept DVRing it planning to catch up, but I think the conspiracy theory angle just isn't enough for me to want to commit. Plus it just looked...kinda boring. So I dumped the unwatched episodes.

Figured if it turned out to be great and caught enough viewers to continue past the first season, I'd catch it on DVD.

Is it good?

Hugh_Grant
08-27-2010, 01:30 AM
I've been enjoying it so far. See, I don't like the other shows on AMC, but I was intruiged by the premise of Rubicon.

Maybe I'm becoming a prude in my old age, but something else I appreciate is the lack of sex and violence.

The show is slow-moving, and I realize that one person's "slow-moving" is another person's "boring," but the show's methodical pace is part of its appeal to me.

I also have a huge crush on James Badge Dale. Damn, he's hot.

Mara
08-27-2010, 03:18 AM

Googled... and... I'll give it a shot. ;)

amberlita
08-27-2010, 03:25 AM

Same here. Ever since he played Chase and got his hand cut off on 24. Still, if no one is watching it, I don't want to get committed to a show that's just gonna get cancelled.

Qrazy
08-28-2010, 01:28 AM
Was the Robin Hood BBC Series any good?

MadMan
08-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Chase from 24 being in it is the only reason I would have to watch Rubicon. I'll just wait for it to hit DVD. I have a feeling it won't last past its first season.

number8
08-29-2010, 03:50 PM
So I watched all 10 episodes of Louie in one night. I loved it, as expected. This format and material are absolutely perfect for Louis CK's sense of humor. The stand out part is the complete trashing of the heckler.

Mara
08-30-2010, 12:50 PM
I don't watch awards shows anymore, because I have grown old and impatient, but I'm catching up on the opening number from last night and I must say:

Jon Hamm's knack for comedy never ceases to surprise me.

Mara
08-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Also, Lea Michele is getting too thin.

Ezee E
08-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Could only bear the Emmys until Cranston won. Awful bits, so many awards that the winners couldn't even say anything. Boring.

number8
08-30-2010, 01:19 PM
I thought Jane Lynch's speech was pretty good.

amberlita
08-30-2010, 03:21 PM
I don't watch awards shows anymore, because I have grown old and impatient, but I'm catching up on the opening number from last night and I must say:

Jon Hamm's knack for comedy never ceases to surprise me.

Same here. I couldn't keep my eyes off him in that opening number cause it bowls me over to see him do things so far removed from Don Draper (though by this point, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a musical number episode of Mad Men).

EvilShoe
08-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Fucking Jon Hamm. He's just perfect, isn't he?

Mara
08-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Fucking Jon Hamm. He's just perfect, isn't he?

I love that his persona seems to be such a goof. He grins like a doofus in all unstaged photographs, then he's sneering and intense the moment his hair is slicked back and he's Don again.

number8
08-30-2010, 03:35 PM
You know what pisses me off? That Stephen Fry has time to do multiple guest spots on Bones, but has no time for House. Come the fuck on.

Dead & Messed Up
08-30-2010, 06:04 PM
I haven't seen any of Mad Men, but I fell in love with Hamm after he nailed a James Mason impression on SNL's "Vincent Price's Halloween Special" back in 2008. His recent appearance was also great - "Hamm and Buble," baby.

amberlita
08-30-2010, 06:25 PM
I haven't seen any of Mad Men, but I fell in love with Hamm after he nailed a James Mason impression on SNL's "Vincent Price's Halloween Special" back in 2008. His recent appearance was also great - "Hamm and Buble," baby.

Wow! I'd never seen that James Mason clip and I just Hulu'd it. That's incredible! I suspect too few people in that audience who actually know who James Mason is and what he sounded like or he would have gotten a bigger applause.

Sven
09-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Wow! I'd never seen that James Mason clip and I just Hulu'd it. That's incredible! I suspect too few people in that audience who actually know who James Mason is and what he sounded like or he would have gotten a bigger applause.

Unfortunately, guys, Izzard has set the bar on Mason and Hamm's is embarrassing in comparison. I really hate to be obvious, but I find Hamm too much of a ham. "Cute doofus" doesn't work for me.

Dead & Messed Up
09-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Unfortunately, guys, Izzard has set the bar on Mason and Hamm's is embarrassing in comparison. I really hate to be obvious, but I find Hamm too much of a ham. "Cute doofus" doesn't work for me.

I don't know that I've seen Izzard's James Mason. I should hunt for that.

"Cute doofus" is fine with me as long as he's funny, and I think he's funny.

amberlita
09-01-2010, 08:22 PM

Cute doofus? What has he done that's ever given you that impression? (note that I didn't see anything he did on 30 Rock)

number8
09-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Cute doofus? What has he done that's ever given you that impression? (note that I didn't see anything he did on 30 Rock)

30 Rock.

Mara
09-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Oh, he's sometimes a goofball in real life.

See here:

5ryFcDoWEjg

Mara
09-01-2010, 11:56 PM
I have 10 shows starting this fall I was planning on watching.

My goal is to cut it in half. The lowest ranked are going bye-bye if they don't step it up. Most likely on the block? The Office, 30 Rock, and Chuck. I have a sneaking suspicion that Glee may not have the momentum for another season, and The Good Wife could go either way-- get really good and ambitious, or devolve into a ho-hum procedural.

I'm not sure any of the new shows for the fall season have caught my interest.

Mara
09-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Sheesh, given the quality of Mad Men this season, it could very well be the best show I watch this year... and it's half over already. That's depressing me.

Winston*
09-02-2010, 12:44 AM
I'm not sure any of the new shows for the fall season have caught my interest.

Boardwalk Empire?

I just watched the first episode of Spartacus: Blood and Sand. I miss Rome.

Mara
09-02-2010, 03:23 AM
Boardwalk Empire?

Yeah, that looked kind of interesting. And Game of Thrones next spring.

Qrazy
09-02-2010, 03:14 PM
I've been watching Season 2 of Hung. Meh. But at the same time it's mildly enjoyable.

Kurosawa Fan
09-02-2010, 05:49 PM
I've been watching Season 2 of Hung. Meh. But at the same time it's mildly enjoyable.

I couldn't make it through more than two episodes of Hung. That show is the essence of mediocrity.

Mara
09-02-2010, 06:02 PM
I couldn't make it through more than two episodes of Hung. That show is the essence of mediocrity.

Tee hee. "Essence."

Mara
09-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Gaiman's Sandman might become a show. (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38974683/ns/today-entertainment/)

Spinal
09-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Gaiman's Sandman might become a show. (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38974683/ns/today-entertainment/)

Feeling lots and lots of skepticism about this one.

number8
09-02-2010, 07:13 PM
It'll be tough. That series is so... Um, literary.

number8
09-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Teeheehee, they want to bring in Harvey Keitel to replace Steve Carrell on The Office. That is such a silly idea.

Spinal
09-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Teeheehee, they want to bring in Harvey Keitel to replace Steve Carrell on The Office. That is such a silly idea.

Better than Jon Lovitz, I suppose.

Henry Gale
09-02-2010, 10:23 PM
This week's Louie was something else. I can't think of another time I've seen a comedy change up its format so drastically (let alone towards that sort of tone) and have the results be as effective as that.

I think next week they're airing the last two of the season back-to-back, and I expect the show to be business as usual in terms of what it's done most weeks before this one, but man... what a shockingly good episode.

amberlita
09-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Man, you guys really make me want to watch Louie. I read a really bad review of the first episode and figured it would stink. I don't really watch any comedies and was thinking of picking up Modern Family. Maybe I'll go with Louie instead.

Qrazy
09-03-2010, 12:57 AM
Man, you guys really make me want to watch Louie. I read a really bad review of the first episode and figured it would stink. I don't really watch any comedies and was thinking of picking up Modern Family. Maybe I'll go with Louie instead.

Go with Community instead.

EyesWideOpen
09-03-2010, 01:00 AM

She said she wanted to watch a comedy.

Kurosawa Fan
09-03-2010, 01:00 AM

This.

Winston*
09-03-2010, 01:19 AM
Watch Louie and Community, they offer different things. Don't watch Modern Family.

number8
09-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Community is the funnier show. Louie is the better.

Sycophant
09-04-2010, 02:21 AM
I've been trying a bunch of new shows thanks to Hulu and me working at my office on off-days where I can prop up my laptop monitor and watch something hwile I work.

Thoughts:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Just started the fifth season (my first season of this show), and I don't know why it's taken me so long. It's very, very smart about the brand of stupid, egocentric misanthropy its characters possess. And the way Charlie screams delights me so.

Community: Genuinely surprised me with its goodness. It's best when it acts less like Scrubs (the endings that resolve everyone's problems to an emotional pop song sometimes lose me), doesn't stretch the reality of its world too violently (the chicken fingers episode was a bit much for my taste), and features a decent amount of Ken Jeong. The Christmas episode is probably my favorite to date.

Parks and Recreation: Couldn't make it through an episode of this. It's like the American The Office bud not funny at all. Kinda want to see what C.K. does when he shows up, but I don't think I'm gonna go back to it.

Better Off Ted: Only caught one episode of this before it all went off Hulu. I think I could come to enjoy the show quite a bit, as the episode I saw (some corporate intrigue involving children and a children's book) gave me a few good laughs, but its presentation was a mild turn off. I'll give this more of a chance some time. Lukewarm on it now.

Glee: Made it through three episodes of this and came out not really caring for it. The last episode I watched was the one with the saccharine/condescending "Imagine" number with the deaf kids. Despite all its attempts and warmth and feeling, I can't help but feel the show is really mean-spirited at its core. The characterizations were all out of wack even across just these three episodes and the cast never seemed well-balanced. Also, the show's direction is terrible.

Silencio
09-04-2010, 04:15 AM
Glee: Made it through three episodes of this and came out not really caring for it. The last episode I watched was the one with the saccharine/condescending "Imagine" number with the deaf kids. Despite all its attempts and warmth and feeling, I can't help but feel the show is really mean-spirited at its core. The characterizations were all out of wack even across just these three episodes and the cast never seemed well-balanced. Also, the show's direction is terrible.Well, what do you expect when you watch it out of order?

Milky Joe
09-04-2010, 04:48 AM
I don't know if anyone here's interested, but I thought I'd pass it along––I'm moderating a group-watch of Deadwood that grew out of a general desire amongst some members of the David Foster Wallace listserv (wallace-l) presenting the idea and needing someone to lead it, so I took it on. It's located on a Google group (http://groups.google.com/group/dfwood). We're going to watch the whole series, one episode a week, starting on Sunday. I just posted an introductory post where I talk about David Milch and the show's obscenity a bit. So, if you want a reason to watch the show again or for the first time and to be able to discuss it with a group of smart folks, feel free to join. The more the merrier!

Duncan
09-04-2010, 05:35 AM
I don't know if anyone here's interested, but I thought I'd pass it along––I'm moderating a group-watch of Deadwood that grew out of a general desire amongst some members of the David Foster Wallace listserv (wallace-l) presenting the idea and needing someone to lead it, so I took it on. It's located on a Google group (http://groups.google.com/group/dfwood). We're going to watch the whole series, one episode a week, starting on Sunday. I just posted an introductory post where I talk about David Milch and the show's obscenity a bit. So, if you want a reason to watch the show again or for the first time and to be able to discuss it with a group of smart folks, feel free to join. The more the merrier!

Was it you who posted this?

“There’s a story by Hawthorne, ‘Ethan Brand,’ about a man who goes out
looking for the unpardonable sin,” he continued. “He discovers that
it’s the violation of the sanctity of another person’s heart. To use
an instrument to open up another person without a loving, terrified
humility is the unpardonable sin. That’s what medicine does, and
Cochran has done it too much. At the beginning, he falls back on his
fear. But then, in apprehending for just a moment the suffering of the
others in the room with Swearengen, he’s able to go past it and he
finds that the minute one person is brave the spirit comes alive. What
I’m trying to suggest to the actors is that the modern situation is
predicated upon the illusion of the self’s isolation—that business of
‘I’m alone, you’re alone, we can bullshit each other when we’re
fucking or whatever else, but the truth is we’re alone. Right?’ Well,
I believe that *that* is fundamentally an illusion.”

Great quote.

Sycophant
09-04-2010, 05:51 AM
Well, what do you expect when you watch it out of order?

Good direction and a good show?

I've started watching all of these show mid-run and mostly mid-season.

Sycophant
09-04-2010, 06:02 AM
Note when I say the show's direction is terrible, I'm not talking about its narrative trajectory, I'm talking about how it's directed.

Milky Joe
09-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Was it you who posted this?

“There’s a story by Hawthorne, ‘Ethan Brand,’ about a man who goes out
looking for the unpardonable sin,” he continued. “He discovers that
it’s the violation of the sanctity of another person’s heart. To use
an instrument to open up another person without a loving, terrified
humility is the unpardonable sin. That’s what medicine does, and
Cochran has done it too much. At the beginning, he falls back on his
fear. But then, in apprehending for just a moment the suffering of the
others in the room with Swearengen, he’s able to go past it and he
finds that the minute one person is brave the spirit comes alive. What
I’m trying to suggest to the actors is that the modern situation is
predicated upon the illusion of the self’s isolation—that business of
‘I’m alone, you’re alone, we can bullshit each other when we’re
fucking or whatever else, but the truth is we’re alone. Right?’ Well,
I believe that *that* is fundamentally an illusion.”

Great quote.

Yes, that was me. Have you read that New Yorker article? If you haven't I highly recommend it!

Sven
09-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Is making it through the first 30 minutes of Firefly enough to qualify my dislike of the show as "informed"?

Watashi
09-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Is making it through the first 30 minutes of Firefly enough to qualify my dislike of the show as "informed"?
No, just "wrong".

Sven
09-04-2010, 07:52 AM
No, just "wrong".

You may be right. I withdraw the question.

Watashi
09-04-2010, 08:18 AM
You may be right. I withdraw the question.
What episode did you watch?

Raiders
09-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Watch Louie and Community, they offer different things. Don't watch Modern Family.

I'll be different and say Modern Family is my favorite of those three shows... so I say watch it.

EyesWideOpen
09-04-2010, 02:34 PM

I watched through the first five episodes and disliked it and people still told me I should keep watching.

Sven
09-04-2010, 02:56 PM
What episode did you watch?

The first thirty minutes of the 80+ minute long first episode.

Irish
09-04-2010, 03:00 PM
What didn't you like about Firefly? I think it's entertaining but overrated in the end.

Also, farther up in the thread --- I'm no longer convinced, based on the last few episodes, that Louie is a comedy.

Raiders
09-04-2010, 03:22 PM
It is OK to dislike "Firefly" but, just to make it known, it is not OK to dislike Nathan Fillion.

Irish
09-04-2010, 03:34 PM
It is OK to dislike "Firefly" but, just to make it known, it is not OK to dislike Nathan Fillion.
Heh, fair enough. Do you watch Castle?

I started watching because of him .. and continue to watch because of him, and, er, because Stana Katic is unbelievably beautiful, even though the scripts come off as watered down, cut rate, poor man's Law & Order.

Raiders
09-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Heh, fair enough. Do you watch Castle?

I started watching because of him .. and continue to watch because of him, and, er, because Stana Katic is unbelievably beautiful, even though the scripts come off as watered down, cut rate, poor man's Law & Order.

This is basically true, yes. I watch solely for the Castle/Beckett repartee. All the characters and interactions in general are pretty charming and better than your average L&O show which is why I watch. The week-to-week murder plots are only springboards for Castle quips; I couldn't care less about them.

Irish
09-04-2010, 03:42 PM
The week-to-week murder plots are only springboards for Castle quips; I couldn't care less about them.
Exactly. I was a little disappointed they went for straight plotting this past season instead of focusing more on their relationship (only bringing it up again around the finale).

Fillon is one guy I always felt a little sorry for. He's good and entertaining in everything I've seen him in, but nothing he does ever seems to catch the public imagination (outside the Whedon SuperFan Club).

Kurosawa Fan
09-04-2010, 04:21 PM
I'll be different and say Modern Family is my favorite of those three shows... so I say watch it.

I think Modern Family is great too, but not better than Community. It's hard to compare either show to Louie though.

Duncan
09-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Yes, that was me. Have you read that New Yorker article? If you haven't I highly recommend it!

Yeah, I went back and read it last night. Good stuff. I cannot believe how much he bets on horse races. Over a million in one weekend? And all because of some compulsion or anxiety release? Holy shit. I guess it makes me more excited for Luck, as the guy will clearly know his stuff.

I also watched the whole hour lecture he gives here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jOQcWr_dnI&feature=related). Turns out he's totally into Kierkegaard, which I always suspected from watching Deadwood.

Have people here seen NYPD Blue? Is it worth going back and watching if I'm a big Milch fan?

Duncan
09-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Also, richest long-term heroin addict on the planet? I mean, most people are dead by the time they can pull in $60 million (and counting) royalties from just one TV show, plus millions more from elsewhere.

Milky Joe
09-04-2010, 10:04 PM
I also watched the whole hour lecture he gives here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jOQcWr_dnI&feature=related). Turns out he's totally into Kierkegaard, which I always suspected from watching Deadwood.

Oh, Milch on Kierkegaard? Now you've got me intensely interested in this lecture. I think I started it once but was so annoyed by the students getting up and walking in and out that I didn't get very far. So glad I'm done with my undergraduate work.

I haven't seen NYPD Blue, but it's been near the top of my Netflix queue for a long time. I plan on watching it some time soon... be sure to leave some thoughts on it here if you start it before me.

[ETM]
09-05-2010, 08:41 PM
I watched through the first five episodes and disliked it and people still told me I should keep watching.

People still talked to you?!

EyesWideOpen
09-06-2010, 05:12 AM
;286015']People still talked to you?!

Unfortunately, yes.

I love Nathan Fillion and even he couldn't get me to like that show. At least he's in a better series now.

Sven
09-06-2010, 07:31 AM
I don't know, guys. This is a really stupid show...

Really, I should just let it go, because I do not have the strength to combat the opposition in this case.

Ezee E
09-06-2010, 07:42 AM

Really, I should just let it go, because I do not have the strength to combat the opposition in this case.
I never bothered with it either after the first episode.

Irish
09-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Was there anything on TV tonight or were all the Sunday shows repeats because of the holiday weekend?

Watashi
09-06-2010, 07:50 AM

When you make a post like this (http://match-cut.org/showpost.php?p=81997&postcount=3), what do you expect? I'm surprised you're actually watching it.

Firefly is awesome mostly for Nathan Fillion. I've never seen Buffy and thought Dr. Horrible was amusing and fun, but nothing more.

Sven
09-06-2010, 07:52 AM
When you make a post like this (http://match-cut.org/showpost.php?p=81997&postcount=3), what do you expect? I'm surprised you're actually watching it.

I am waiting for the surprise. I honestly try my very hardest to give everything I can a fair shake.

[ETM]
09-06-2010, 10:40 AM
It's good to have people from the Mirror Universe around, helps keep things in perspective.

number8
09-06-2010, 01:37 PM
I keep wanting a better Lie to Me, still with Tim Roth, but not as CSI-ish. A lot of their smaller subplots are actually very interesting, like finding out politician lies and shit like that, but then the main episodes focus on lame ticking clock scenarios that are just so tired. A less overly dramatic, more behavioral science-focused version of this show would have been absolutely phenomenal.

Irish
09-06-2010, 01:52 PM
I keep wanting a better Lie to Me, still with Tim Roth, but not as CSI-ish. A lot of their smaller subplots are actually very interesting, like finding out politician lies and shit like that, but then the main episodes focus on lame ticking clock scenarios that are just so tired. A less overly dramatic, more behavioral science-focused version of this show would have been absolutely phenomenal.
They started out that way but quickly dropped the sciency stuff for broader appeal.

This past season has been mostly unwatchable. In fact, the last few I've turned off with still 10 or 20 minutes to go because I just didn't give a fuck.

Too bad, because originally they had good stuff like subplots and supporting characters and interesting stories.

I think the show died when they introduced the FBI stooge played by Mekhi Phifer (who is better than this) as a regular character and went for more straight and boring police procedural.

number8
09-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Well, that's terrible news for the future of me watching.

Irish
09-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Well, that's terrible news for the future of me watching.
Show is awful now. IIRC, Fox is keeping it on the short order, only 13 episodes each time.

Figure they'll dump it as soon as they work the kinks out of their fall schedule.

Irish
09-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Which is terrible because there's something I find oddly and highly erotic about Kelli Williams, of all people.

Every time she appears onscreen, I yell "TAKE OFF YOUR PANTS" at the TV.

So far I've only succeeded in pissing off my neighbord. But I figure that's a low price because if I yell enough, eventually she'll do it.

number8
09-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Woah. I found out that the inspiration for Cal Lightman, Dr. Paul Ekman, has not only done the things Lightman does on the show (consulting DOD, FBI, Secret Service, etc) but he also worked for Pixar to teach the animators universal facial expressions.

number8
09-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Also, they make it so obvious just when it was that the network meddled with the show. I mean, Mekhi Phifer's arrival couldn't be more of a "note" if it tried.

"So, yeah, all this stuff with Tim Roth giving lectures, solving corporate lawsuits, protecting politicians and snooping personal lives are great, but we need some sweeps material. Tell you what, let's have them work with the FBI on a serial rapist, Silence of the Lamb style, then have them join up with the FBI after that. So now they only investigate top level exciting FBI stuff, and we can have an action guy be part of the group. Someone who has nothing to do at all with the deception theme of the show, but can kick ass and wave a gun around. Let's try that, yeah. Have the next episode be about a terrorist bombing. That always works."

Sycophant
09-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Liking one Whedon thing doesn't mean you eat up and adore everything he's touched. Nor the opposite of that.

Dr. Horrible was completely unwatchable for me. Like Sven, I couldn't make it very far at all. I think I turned the first episode or whatever off just like a minute shy of its ending or something, I couldn't take it anymore.

I do like Firefly quite a bit however. I'd suggest Sven try an episode in the middle of the series, like where I started, but I have a feeling he still wouldn't like it.

Watashi
09-06-2010, 07:31 PM
You people and your starting in the middle of seasons.

What the hell is wrong with you.

Sycophant
09-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Availability? Sometimes you hear a show is good, but it's airing midseason (like me and Firefly back in motherfucking 2002), or Hulu only has the last like five episodes online (like Community which I came to love after about two midseason episodes and Glee which I disliked after three midseason episodes). I can try them out now when I'm looking for something good to watch, or I can go buy/rent them on DVD when that happens or download them? Meh. Continuity in most shows doesn't matter that much. If I like it enough, I'll go back and explore and appreciate the show's beginnings when I can.

Also, considering how many shows really falter at the beginning, sometimes it makes more sense to start in the middle where they have themselves figured out and you can get a feel for how the show actually works.

Watashi
09-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Sitcoms you can start from anywhere, but shows like Lost, Battlestar Galactica, The Wire, Avatar, Mad Men, etc, I can't imagine just starting in the middle of some random season and making my judgement based on those episodes when the details and arcs of previous episodes are so crucial.

It's no different than turning on a movie at the halfway point and watching the rest and giving it a fair review.

Sycophant
09-06-2010, 08:33 PM
It's no different than turning on a movie at the halfway point and watching the rest and giving it a fair review.

While I think those kind of continuity-intensive shows do benefit more from more context, I don't think it's quite the same as watching a movie from the middle of the second act. If someone watches three episodes from the middle of The Sopranos and finds everything shrill and annoying and bad, I'm not gonna urge them to watch from the beginning. If their chief complaint is that it's confusing, then I'd happily lend them my first season of the show.

Milky Joe
09-06-2010, 08:51 PM
While I think those kind of continuity-intensive shows do benefit more from more context, I don't think it's quite the same as watching a movie from the middle of the second act.

No, it's more like picking a 400 page novel up and starting on page 150.

Sycophant
09-06-2010, 09:00 PM
I think to get a flavor for the show, picking up episode 12 of 24 and seeing if it utterly repulses you or intrigues you is a valid thing to do.

Watashi
09-06-2010, 09:01 PM
While I think those kind of continuity-intensive shows do benefit more from more context, I don't think it's quite the same as watching a movie from the middle of the second act. If someone watches three episodes from the middle of The Sopranos and finds everything shrill and annoying and bad, I'm not gonna urge them to watch from the beginning. If their chief complaint is that it's confusing, then I'd happily lend them my first season of the show.
Most of the great shows have their mediocre-to-bad episodes (with the exception of something like The Wire) and it's well reasonable for someone to start watching an episode from a series that is generally considered a weaker episode. TV episodes have different writers and directors for every episode, so obviously quality will change as the season goes along. It's perfectly acceptable for a show to have its ups and downs but still maintain a strong story arc and great characters (Lost comes to mind for this).

kopello
09-07-2010, 03:28 AM
Any fans of No Reservations here catch his 100th episode? As a fan myself I gotta say I was a little disappointed considering the buildup they've been having to his 100th on Travel Channel. Doing the first quarter or so of the show on the Paris restaurant scene would be good, but doing the whole show on it was really boring. Tony didn't seem his snarky self and never had anything interesting to say. I didn't catch the special beforehand but I'm recording it when it repeats later.

Irish
09-07-2010, 05:30 AM
Also, they make it so obvious just when it was that the network meddled with the show. I mean, Mekhi Phifer's arrival couldn't be more of a "note" if it tried.

"So, yeah, all this stuff with Tim Roth giving lectures, solving corporate lawsuits, protecting politicians and snooping personal lives are great, but we need some sweeps material. Tell you what, let's have them work with the FBI on a serial rapist, Silence of the Lamb style, then have them join up with the FBI after that. So now they only investigate top level exciting FBI stuff, and we can have an action guy be part of the group. Someone who has nothing to do at all with the deception theme of the show, but can kick ass and wave a gun around. Let's try that, yeah. Have the next episode be about a terrorist bombing. That always works."

Yeah, exactly. I know you're going for hyperbole, but I honestly don't think the actual conversations were far removed from what you posted.

The biggest disappointment for me was that they hired Mekhi Phifer, who is a good actor when given the chance, and immediately shoved him into the background. He's the exposition guy now and everything he says or does could be mostly handled by either Eli or Ria or some extra in a cop uniform. (And the characters of Eli and Ria have such limited screen time now it's a wonder why they bother writing anything for them at all).

It's a shame how something interesting quickly turned into middle-of-the-road police drama.

Thirdmango
09-07-2010, 06:02 AM
I'm actually going to slightly agree with Sycophant on this one. While I would agree that shows such as Avatar, Mad Men and Lost do need to be viewed from the beginning there are plenty of shows which can be started mid season or mid series, I after all started watching Doctor Who with Matt Smith and I'm one of the biggest continuity whores in television there is. But let's instead take a show like Buffy. For the most part, most really big fans of the show did start the series around the 3rd or 4th season and loved the hell out of it so they were able to go back and then love the 1st season. I'm not saying all, but a lot of people I've talked to did this.

Also Glee has two good episodes. The first episode and the wheadon one. That's all. The show sucks.

Irish
09-07-2010, 06:07 AM
Really goddamn annoying that Burn Notice is taking a *two month long break* before airing the final 6 episodes of the season.

Watashi
09-07-2010, 06:09 AM
I'm all caught up with Glee and it has yet to feature any form of "suck" at all.

Ezee E
09-07-2010, 06:24 AM
Some shows you can probably watch a few episodes and get an idea of if you'll like it or not, but like Wats said, if you take The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, and a rising list of others, you'll have missed out on several chapters of a book (who said that? rep to you good sir!). Just wrong.

Henry Gale
09-07-2010, 06:57 AM
Also Glee has two good episodes. The first episode and the wheadon one. That's all. The show sucks.

I think I would add "Wheels" and the Single Ladies one to that, but at the same time I haven't seen any of the post-hiatus episodes. That includes the Madonna, Whedon and Lady Gaga (what a duo!) ones.

Not sure if I care to ever see more of it. Maybe the Prince one if it's happening, because I want to make sure they don't ruin all of the songs they touch.

Hugh_Grant
09-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Any fans of No Reservations here catch his 100th episode?
I love Bourdain and I love Paris, but I did not see it, and I forgot to DVR it. Sorry to hear it was disappointing.

Instead, I was watching the season premiere of Hoarders. That show always compels me to clean.

Qrazy
09-07-2010, 07:03 PM
I definitely don't think it makes sense to start most good dramas in the middle and personally I don't think it even makes sense to start many of the good sitcoms at any given episode. Arrested Development, any given season of Curb Your Enthusiasm, even Community and It's Always Sunny. They all build to varying degrees on what came before.

And Glee is probably the most narratively driven out of all of these... in a way though you're lucky you started later in the series because the show got incredibly repetitive and went consistently downhill, so you just saved yourself hours of pain.

Syc since you're streaming online anyway you know you can pretty much find streams for any episode of almost any show right?

www.ovguide.com

Sycophant
09-07-2010, 11:34 PM
And Glee is probably the most narratively driven out of all of these... in a way though you're lucky you started later in the series because the show got incredibly repetitive and went consistently downhill, so you just saved yourself hours of pain.

See, this is why I stand by my idea that you can make an assessment midseason. I have a very strong feeling that I would've ended up in the same place with Glee regardless of where I started. I'm not gonna pretend my experience with the show was invalidated because I started watching at episode 9.

Syc since you're streaming online anyway you know you can pretty much find streams for any episode of almost any show right?

www.ovguide.com

Thanks for the tip!

Mara
09-08-2010, 01:38 AM

One way or another, I stream just about every show I watch. (Legally, if possible.) That way I can watch them at work during my lunch hour or uninterrupted while doing other things.

Kurosawa Fan
09-08-2010, 12:42 PM
When Louie works, it's as funny as anything on TV. When it doesn't, it's just uncomfortable. Still, it's a pretty brave show. I'll be tuning in next season for sure. Oh, and Pamela Adlon is the secret star of the show. She's fantastic.

number8
09-08-2010, 01:16 PM
So I finished Veronica Mars. No one told me it would be this unsatisfying.

Mara
09-08-2010, 01:26 PM
So I finished Veronica Mars. No one told me it would be this unsatisfying.

Do you mean "unresolved" or do you mean "the third season wasn't great"? Because I pretty much agree with both counts.

number8
09-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Both. The season certainly didn't live up to the excellent first two (I learned that this is because it's when the WB -> CW change happened and new management forced them to abandon the season-long mystery format in favor of more syndication-friendly standalones), but it was still pretty good and I really enjoyed the last 3 episodes. Then it ended. So pissed.

Season 4 could have been Veronica saving Logan from the mob! Would've been great.

Mara
09-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Scuttlebutt is that Season 4 was going to flash forward several years to Veronica's work at the FBI.

I think that would have been pretty awesome.

Also, I love the word "scuttlebutt."

Mara
09-08-2010, 02:08 PM
And I never admired VM as much as the great fans, but I liked the first two seasons quite a bit. The third really was kind of slipshod, though.

EvilShoe
09-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Scuttlebutt is that Season 4 was going to flash forward several years to Veronica's work at the FBI.

I think that would have been pretty awesome.

Also, I love the word "scuttlebutt."
Never seen this?
LG_dqD9RrKM

number8
09-08-2010, 02:30 PM
I watched that right after I finished the 3rd season. I'm mixed about it.

But Rob Thomas said that he'd always intended that video just to be a fun "what if" for fans. He said if the movie ends up happening, it'll still be in college because he wants to keep Wallace and Logan and Mac, etc, and it'd be unrealistic that they follow Veronica to the FBI.

Kurosawa Fan
09-08-2010, 02:39 PM
I flat out disliked the third season of Veronica Mars. Reasons for the changes aside, it just wasn't very good.

number8
09-08-2010, 02:43 PM
I find it really weird that a teen show would go lighter when they move from high school to college.

Mara
09-08-2010, 02:44 PM
I watched that right after I finished the 3rd season. I'm mixed about it.

But Rob Thomas said that he'd always intended that video just to be a fun "what if" for fans. He said if the movie ends up happening, it'll still be in college because he wants to keep Wallace and Logan and Mac, etc, and it'd be unrealistic that they follow Veronica to the FBI.

If I were to do it, I would have had Wallace stay with Veronica in a non-work capacity, like being her roommate in [whatever city] while he begins his own career and she starts the FBI. She would have lost touch with Logan and have some bitter feelings reading about him in the tabloids seducing celebutantes and getting DUIs and so on. Mac would have a little more distance but be involved in a parallel career path, something in criminal information services.

I'd start the series with the upsetting reemergence of Logan, who will have been accused of a terrible crime he didn't commit (murder, etc.) but that he's too wasted to properly remember. Convicted in the court of public opinion he'd seek out Veronica to clear his name, thinking she might be the only one who would believe him. She doesn't, and helping him would be in conflict with her new job, where she is supposed to be impartial. But she ends up intrigued enough to do a little digging, and much mystery and sexiness ensues.

It could be done.

Mara
09-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Never seen this?
LG_dqD9RrKM

Hmm. Actually, no. I thought it was more nebulous than that. Interesting premise, and it has that guy from "Justified," but I don't like having a whole new cast of villains and love interests. GIVE ME LOGAN OR GIVE ME DEATH.

number8
09-08-2010, 03:04 PM
If I were to do it, I would have had Wallace stay with Veronica in a non-work capacity, like being her roommate in [whatever city] while he begins his own career and she starts the FBI. She would have lost touch with Logan and have some bitter feelings reading about him in the tabloids seducing celebutantes and getting DUIs and so on. Mac would have a little more distance but be involved in a parallel career path, something in criminal information services.

The problem wouldn't be having them in the FBI environment. It would be in the fact that they'd be in the same city at all. The short video already stretches credibility by having the FBI station Veronica in LA, so close to her home, nevermind that they can't use Neptune anymore, which would be a shame. But there's really no real reason for Dick, Logan, Wallace, Piz, Mac, etc to not go to different cities after college, while Eli and Keith would probably never leave Neptune.

Mara
09-08-2010, 03:11 PM
But there's really no real reason for Dick, Logan, Wallace, Piz, Mac, etc to not go to different cities after college, while Eli and Keith would probably never leave Neptune.

True, although less crazy things have been shoe-horned into television shows.

Sheesh, Piz was boring. He can move to Minneapolis for all I care.

number8
09-08-2010, 03:13 PM
I grew to like him in the Paul Rudd episode.

Benny Profane
09-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Anyone watch "Surviving the Cut" on Discovery?

In-fucking-sane what these people must endure.

Mara
09-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Watched a preview for "No Ordinary Family" on ABC and it was surprisingly charming. It rips off "The Incredibles" pretty shamelessly, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing-- it's an interesting premise. The casting was spot-on, both with the leads and what appears to be the recurring supporting cast. Rita Wilson is always adorable, but I've never seen "The Shield" and assumed Michael Chiklis was just Mr. Scary Tough Guy... however, he was funny, charming and... attractive? Strange but true.

The origin story took, like, nanoseconds and some of the emotions felt facile and rushed, but I think the overall premise is strong and I'll probably give it five or six episodes to see if it can figure itself out.

number8
09-09-2010, 05:05 PM
The origin rips off Fantastic Four quite shamelessly, actually.

Mara
09-09-2010, 05:08 PM
The origin rips off Fantastic Four quite shamelessly, actually.

Reminded me of "Heroes" in places, too, but less ponderous and a little more gleeful.

Lucky
09-10-2010, 12:59 AM
I flat out disliked the third season of Veronica Mars. Reasons for the changes aside, it just wasn't very good.

I concur. One of the most disappointing series finales I've seen. I kinda dug the final scene, however.

number8
09-10-2010, 01:17 AM
To be fair, it wasn't supposed to be the series finale.

Mara
09-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Alexis Denisof isn't in enough stuff. My massive crush doesn't have enough outlet. It's frustrating.

[ETM]
09-10-2010, 09:36 PM
If you're not already watching AMC's "Rubicon" (and, save for a few, I know you're not) - you should. I'm seven episodes in and it's turning into one of my favorite recent shows. It had a shaky start (the creator left after the pilot) and the ratings are low, but it looks great and the performances have been stellar across the board so far.

Kurosawa Fan
09-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Anyone else digging MasterChef? I much prefer this side of Gordon Ramsey. No tantrums, no screaming and name-calling, just people who pretty well know how to cook, but the show is adept at creating tension, and the cast of characters has been fun.

Winston*
09-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Anyone else digging MasterChef? I much prefer this side of Gordon Ramsey. No tantrums, no screaming and name-calling, just people who pretty well know how to cook, but the show is adept at creating tension, and the cast of characters has been fun.
Is this an American version? I've watched the British, Australian and New Zealand versions. The British is the best because it has the least fake drama.

Hugh_Grant
09-11-2010, 01:04 AM
;287036']If you're not already watching AMC's "Rubicon" (and, save for a few, I know you're not) - you should. I'm seven episodes in and it's turning into one of my favorite recent shows. It had a shaky start (the creator left after the pilot) and the ratings are low, but it looks great and the performances have been stellar across the board so far.
Yes! Another Rubicon fan!
Agreed on all counts, ETM.
I loved this quote from the AV Club's review (http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-truth-will-out,44856/) of "The Truth Will Out" (episode seven):

The world of Rubicon is a place where the powerful grind down the powerless or even those with some small amount of power and they barely seem to realize they're doing so. It's a place where the drudgery of everyday life in the office conceals a barely restrained panic.

How great was Dallas Roberts in that episode? And Arliss Howard?

Kurosawa Fan
09-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Is this an American version? I've watched the British, Australian and New Zealand versions. The British is the best because it has the least fake drama.

Yep. First season. There's been almost no drama outside of the natural drama of the competition. That's what's so refreshing.

[ETM]
09-11-2010, 01:27 AM
How great was Dallas Roberts in that episode? And Arliss Howard?

Spot on. Howard has been a real revelation so far, I love the little touches he adds to the character, like his distinctive walk or, really, the way he moves in any occasion. But the best thing about the show is how each and every supporting role is equally intriguing (or is becoming that, fast.) Alan Sepinwall loved the next episode, I can't wait.

Thirdmango
09-12-2010, 02:18 PM
There are those couple of moments, those once every like 10-12 episode moments that Psych does where it just blows your socks off. It wasn't nearly as good as the almost kiss in season 2, but this weeks episode had some of those moments. Also I hope Richard Alpert stays in this show longer.

number8
09-12-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm watching the pilot for The Adventures of Lois and Clark. This show was so silly.

number8
09-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Ooooh, Lex Luthor just told Clark Kent "After you," but then walked in front of him anyway!

THAT VILLAIN.

Mara
09-12-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm watching the pilot for The Adventures of Lois and Clark. This show was so silly.

Oh, I was VERY into that show for seasons 2 and 3 when they aired. (I was... oh... 14 to 15 years old.) I still have a bit of a soft spot for how ridiculous and corny it was.

number8
09-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Hmmmm, this show is better than I remembered. They really nailed Lois and Clark down.

Grouchy
09-13-2010, 08:47 PM
I used to love Lois & Clark! Very cheesy, but they nailed the chemistry between the characters and the supporting characters are all great. I like it better than Smallville, even if that's not saying much.

number8
09-13-2010, 08:54 PM
It's definitely better than Smallville.

Yeah, the plots are awful, but wow, they got everybody just right. Lex, Jimmy, Perry, even Cat Grant. It's that Iron Man effect, where you just want to see the banter between the characters and it actually gets boring when he changes into Superman.

Morris Schæffer
09-14-2010, 10:42 AM
True Lies to go TV under the supervision of Cameron?

http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/true-lies-series-in-the-works-with-james-cameron-producing/

EvilShoe
09-14-2010, 01:16 PM
I hope they hire Tom Arnold, so he'll shut up about a sequel.

number8
09-14-2010, 01:24 PM
A sequel could be sweet, though. Arnold vs Park51.

number8
09-15-2010, 02:34 AM
Wow, the Louie finale was staggeringly great.

EyesWideOpen
09-15-2010, 05:18 AM
For anyone interested Better Off Ted Season 2 is up on netflix instant streaming. I finally watched those last two episodes that they hadn't aired until recently and I'm so sad their won't be anymore of this show.

MadMan
09-15-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm watching the pilot for The Adventures of Lois and Clark. This show was so silly.Hah, I remember watching that show when I was a kid. Looking back I agree that the entire cast rocked. Some of the episodes got really outlandish.

Derek
09-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Wow, the Louie finale was staggeringly great.

Yeah, when that show's on, it's really, really great. I already loved his stand-up, but this show may force me to drop the $50+ to see him live.

Kurosawa Fan
09-16-2010, 01:31 PM
For anyone interested Better Off Ted Season 2 is up on netflix instant streaming. I finally watched those last two episodes that they hadn't aired until recently and I'm so sad their won't be anymore of this show.

Watched five episodes between classes yesterday. It's tragic that this show didn't get noticed.

[ETM]
09-16-2010, 02:15 PM
It's tragic that this show didn't get noticed.

I concur.

number8
09-16-2010, 02:26 PM
I dunno, I think it's for the best. You don't want it to get stale after those 2 seasons. It's too zany to start treading water.

number8
09-17-2010, 02:28 PM
What? What the fuck? (http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/09/e-orders-extreme-plastic-surgey-bridal-competition.html)

The network is set to announce “Bridalplasty,” where brides-to-be compete in wedding-themed challenges to win extensive surgical procedures.

Each week, a group of women go head-to-head in such challenges as writing wedding vows and planning honeymoons. The winner receives the chance to choose a plastic surgery procedure from her “wish list.” She’s given the procedure immediately, and results are shown at the start of the following week’s episode.

The last bride standing will receive a “dream wedding,” where she will reveal her new appearance to friends, family and the groom. “Viewers will witness his emotional and possibly shocked reaction as they stand at the altar and he lifts her veil to see her for the first time following her extreme plastic surgery,” E! said.

[ETM]
09-17-2010, 02:45 PM
That... can't be real.

Btw, BBC's "Luther" is pretty frakkin' amazing. I've seen half of the first series already and I'm loving it so far. Idris Elba is killing it, but the entire cast is spot on - especially Ruth Wilson as Alice Morgan.

[ETM]
09-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Hahahahaha! "Luther" is part of the same universe as Law and Order, Homicide etc. John Luther just sent some details to "Detective Munch at the Special Victims Unit in NY".:lol:

number8
09-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Of course, since The Wire and Homicide are in the same universe, it adds yet another bizarre twin in that universe.

[ETM]
09-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Of course, since The Wire and Homicide are in the same universe, it adds yet another bizarre twin in that universe.

Ha, I had completely forgotten about that.:lol:

Qrazy
09-17-2010, 09:10 PM
It's all just a dream anyway.

Winston*
09-18-2010, 01:33 AM
Anyone seen Terriers? Just watched the pilot. Quite good. I like Donal Logue and that cajun guy from True Blood.

[ETM]
09-18-2010, 01:40 AM
I was thinking of checking it out, it's had pretty much raving reviews.

Mara
09-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Oh, dear. "Hoarders" is now on Netflix Instant. I'm fifteen minutes in and I am never buying anything ever again.

Also, never again having a pet.

Also, I may throw up. But I can't look away.

Mara
09-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Oh, dear. "Hoarders" is now on Netflix Instant. I'm fifteen minutes in and I am never buying anything ever again.

Also, never again having a pet.

Also, I may throw up. But I can't look away.

At work we have very stringent cleaning regulations for our mentally ill tenants which I always thought were a little bit harsh. (We're going to threaten to evict someone for not cleaning their dishes? Really?)

It makes total sense now. So much sense.

Dukefrukem
09-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Grace Park was never this hot in Battlestar...

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc107/bastardlybutta/bastardly-photos/album162/grace-park-bikini03231001.jpg
http://www.koreanbeacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/grace-park-hawaii-1.jpg
http://www.koreanbeacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/grace-park-hawaii-5.jpg

Mara
09-20-2010, 06:19 PM
I always thought she was lovely on BSG.

I didn't always think she could act, but I always thought she was lovely.

Irish
09-20-2010, 06:35 PM

So bummed about this. I didn't come across this series until it ended. And now I'm left in love with Portia de Rossi and without a show to watch.

Mara
09-20-2010, 06:40 PM
ETM and I were all like, "'Better Off Ted' is awesome and y'all should watch it" and you guys were all like "Noooooo I have so many better things to do" and we're like "It's gonna get canceled you guys" and then you were all like "So? We don't even care."

This happened.

Irish
09-20-2010, 06:59 PM
ETM and I were all like, "'Better Off Ted' is awesome and y'all should watch it" and you guys were all like "Noooooo I have so many better things to do" and we're like "It's gonna get canceled you guys" and then you were all like "So? We don't even care."

This happened.

This is probably the most gracious form of "I told you so" I've ever heard. :P

Mara
09-20-2010, 07:06 PM
This is probably the most gracious form of "I told you so" I've ever heard. :P

Then I did it wrong. :P

[ETM]
09-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Grace Park was never this hot in Battlestar...

She's one of the few really, REALLY thin women who carry their weight naturally and make it work.

Kurosawa Fan
09-20-2010, 07:22 PM

This happened.

I'll take comfort in the fact that Nielsen and the advertisers don't particularly care about the opinions of those of us living in the most violent city in America.

number8
09-20-2010, 07:34 PM
I'll take comfort in the fact that Nielsen and the advertisers don't particularly care about the opinions of those of us living in the most violent city in America.

Sooner or later you're going to have to let this go, or you'll drive those closest to you away. It's really not your fault that your father took you and your mom into that dark alley so late at night just because it's a shortcut. You were 8. What exactly were you supposed to do? They wouldn't have wanted you to grow up so angry, as if you are beholden to and responsible for your city. You'll never win, not against this. I know that you knew that when you started this war of yours, the one you've said yourself could never end. You're just looking for your own peace and satisfaction, right? Well, you have your own family now. People who care about you. People you want to protect who will actually thank you for your efforts. Win in that. Before this city, or your anger, kills you.

Mara
09-20-2010, 07:35 PM

How exactly does one get one of those Nielsen boxes? Because I need to fix this crap.

Thirdmango
09-20-2010, 08:12 PM

This happened.

You can't lump me in this. I was there from day one.

Irish
09-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Then I did it wrong. :P

:D

Sycophant
09-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Grace Park always looked that good on BSG.

number8
09-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Grace Park always looked that good on BSG.

Yeah, I don't understand the difference. Is it because she's in a bikini here? She was naked in BSG.