View Full Version : Great Scenes from 2007

Watashi
12-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Spoiler if necessary.

Ratatouille - Ego's reaction to tasting the ratatouille
The Darjeeling Limited - Francis removing his bandages
Lars and the Real Girl - Lars' last moment with Bianca
I'm Not There - "Going to Acapulco"
Seraphim Falls - Gideon jumping out of a fucking HORSE!
No Country for Old Men - The gas station coin-toss
The King of Kong - "Everybody Knows"
Zodiac - The final stare down between Graysmith and Arthur Leigh Allen

Sycophant
12-03-2007, 07:26 PM
No Country for Old Men - The gas station coin-tossAmen. I haven't felt tension like that since the Dern/Defoe scene in Wild at Heart.

The King of Kong - "Everybody Knows"I may need a bit more to job my memory.

Rowland
12-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Gone Baby Gone - All there is left to do is sit, wait, and watch.
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - Epilogue
Into the Wild - "I could adopt you."
Offside - The post-game celebration.
Black Snake Moan - Lazarus plays at the bar as Rae dances.
The Taste of Tea - The family discovers what the Grandfather had been up to.
No Country for Old Men - Llewelyn waiting in his hotel room as Chigurh closes in.

Watashi
12-03-2007, 07:38 PM
I may need a bit more to job my memory.

It's the montage of Steve playing Donkey Kong and Billy avoiding him set to Leonard Cohen's song.

chrisnu
12-03-2007, 07:56 PM
The Assassination of Jesse James - dinner table scene
The Lives of Others - "Can anyone who has heard this music, I mean really heard it, still be a bad person?"
Black Book - The night raid, on the boat. Absolutely terrifying.
Away from Her - the final scene
Sleuth - "Fetch me a drink."
Black Snake Moan - Lazarus' performance.
No Country for Old Men - I wish I remembered the words, but the scene between Chigurh and Carson Wells.
Eastern Promises - you know.

Also, if the movie were fresher in my mind, I'd mention something specific, but I'll say any scene from The Namesake with Irfan Khan.

Winston*
12-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Away from Her - the final scene

This was my least favourite part of the film.

Duncan
12-03-2007, 08:01 PM
I thought the scene where Jesse James kills that guy on horseback in the night was one of the better scenes this year. That line, in response to not knowing what stars are, "Your body knows, it's just your mind's forgot," is what I grasp at to redeem the film's thematic shortcomings.

Derek
12-03-2007, 08:04 PM
This was my least favourite part of the film.

Mine too, but given how uncompromising the film is until that point, I'm willing to allow it a moment of catharsis. I also think that considering how detailed it is in showing the effects of Alzheimer's, it's actually rather bittersweet (at least upon reflection) b/c we know she could just as easily forget him again the next morning.

Winston*
12-03-2007, 08:09 PM
I also think that considering how detailed it is in showing the effects of Alzheimer's, it's actually rather bittersweet (at least upon reflection) b/c we know she could just as easily forget him again the next morning.
The film doesn't play it like that, though.

chrisnu
12-03-2007, 08:14 PM
I thought it did. Maybe I'm just a big softie.

Another favorite scene from the movie would be when Grant reads to his wife. (the second time)

Ivan Drago
12-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Once - "Falling Slowly"
Spider-Man 3 - when Flint Marko emerges from the sand as the Sandman
Superbad - Opening Credits

Derek
12-03-2007, 08:22 PM

Ok, it stops at the point of their reconciliation, but considering the previous hour or so focused on how fragile the mind of an Alzheimer's patient is, we the audience should be intelligent enough to infer that without an epilogue. They mention multiple times how their memory can switch back off just as easily as it switches on.

Rowland
12-03-2007, 08:32 PM
That line, in response to not knowing what stars are, "Your body knows, it's just your mind's forgot," is what I grasp at to redeem the film's thematic shortcomings.Could you elaborate on this?

Winston*
12-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Ok, it stops at the point of their reconciliation, but considering the previous hour or so focused on how fragile the mind of an Alzheimer's patient is, we the audience should be intelligent enough to infer that without an epilogue. They mention multiple times how their memory can switch back off just as easily as it switches on.
Well, sure we can infer that. But the way that scene plays out (especially with the swirley camera and all) I find it hard to believe that was what Polley was going for. Feels too much like her trying to soften the blow, it's a false note to end the film on.

Derek
12-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Well, sure we can infer that. But the way that scene plays out (especially with the swirley camera and all) I find it hard to believe that was what Polley was going for. Feels too much like her trying to soften the blow, it's a false note to end the film on.

I agree it's a false note to end on, esp. with that shot, but for a film that pulls no punches for the entire running time, I'm willing to excuse a small token of catharsis at the end. Still, I didn't feel like it was a "happily ever after" ending.

MadMan
12-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Name some others that haven't been mentioned:

Death Proof-Both car chase scenes in the second half of the film
Planet Terror-El Wray going badass in the hospital with knives
3:10 To Yuma-Out of so many I'm going with Ben Wade and Dan Evans mad cap dash to the train, with Charlie Price in hot pursuit
Live Free or Die Hard-The brutal fight between McClain and Mai Lihn in the power plant

chrisnu
12-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Another one from The Assassination of Jesse James: the train robbery.

Spinal
12-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Across the Universe - "I Want to Hold Your Hand"
Once - Walking home with the batteries
Spiderman 3 - The dance scene
Red Road - The scene with the doll
Fido - The Lassie scene

Winston*
12-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Spider-Man 3 - Franco and pie

Spinal
12-03-2007, 09:20 PM

If you say so.

Sycophant
12-03-2007, 09:24 PM
If you say so.He says so. And he's is most rightly right.

origami_mustache
12-03-2007, 09:27 PM
http://www.mensvogue.com/images/arts/2007/02/arar02_rescue_dawn.jpg

Rescue Dawn - Bale bites into raw snake.

Derek
12-03-2007, 09:28 PM

Sooooo good. I'll add Cake Girl feeding Peter cookies.

Rowland
12-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Spider-Man 3 - French restaurant; "I forgive you." (Yeah, I'll go there. :))

origami_mustache
12-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Once - "Falling Slowly"

The opening scene is pretty funny, and of course the ending.

Mal
12-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Blades of Glory
Skate chase where the blades get stuck on the escalator

Planet Terror
Marley Shelton's hands being all messed up

Philosophe_rouge
12-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Across the Universe - "I Want to Hold Your Hand"
The Assasination of Jesse James- "The Train Robbery" and "Epilogue"
Black Book- "Pubes"
Death Proof- "Car Chase"

There are others, I am sure.

soitgoes...
12-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Red Road - The scene with the doll

Good choice. The scene near the end at her in-laws house was powerful as well.

Rowland
12-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Climactic set piece in the Ministry of Magic HQ

Duncan
12-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Could you elaborate on this?

Honestly? Not really. It's just that the film seems quite shallow to me, but I still liked it a lot. That line is neat, and I think it might mean something. That something may be just as shallow as the rest of the film, though. Any ideas?

Melville
12-03-2007, 10:31 PM

I agree it's a false note to end on, esp. with that shot, but for a film that pulls no punches for the entire running time, I'm willing to excuse a small token of catharsis at the end. Still, I didn't feel like it was a "happily ever after" ending.

I agree with Derek.
It never would have occurred to me to interpret the ending as a purely happy one. Earlier in the film, there's a story about someone with Alzheimers who was just like their old self one day but was completely gone the next. I remember the final scene specifically reminding the viewer of that earlier scene, making sure that we knew the moment of happiness was fleeting. However, I'll admit that I can't remember exactly how the two scenes were connected in my mind. Maybe a specific line of recurring dialogue or something? Anyway, it's still a somewhat happy ending, since it gives the couple a chance to say goodbye, but it's definitely bittersweet.

However, Winston gets rep for Franco and his pie. And I'll add strutting emo Peter.

Boner M
12-03-2007, 11:23 PM
I Don't Want to Sleep Alone - final shot
Syndromes and a Century - everyone leaves the hospital, smoke curls back into the vent
This is England - Shaun asks Smell if he can be her boyfriend
Superbad - George Michael singing for the party cokeheads
Zodiac - murder by the lake
The Host - first appearance of the monster
12:08 East of Bucharest - final words

Winston*
12-03-2007, 11:26 PM
I Don't Want to Sleep Alone - final shot
Syndromes and a Century - everyone leaves the hospital, smoke curls back into the vent

These ones are good, also.

Rowland
12-03-2007, 11:31 PM
12:08 East of Bucharest - final wordsI'm not sure if I entirely understood what the ending was supposed to convey. Who was that talking, and what was he saying? Wasn't he goading on the street lamp to light up? Was that supposed to represent how the town in the movie was only one domino amidst many after the rebellion had already occurred, just as the lights in the town start from the center and branch out sequentially?

Boner M
12-03-2007, 11:42 PM
I didn't really "get" what the ending was supposed to convey. Who was that talking, and what was he saying? Wasn't he goading on the street lamp to light up? Was that supposed to represent how the town in the movie was only one domino amidst many after the rebellion had already occurred, just as the lights in the town start from the center and branch out sequentially?
It was Emanoil, the oldest guy who was debating with them. I took his final words as a paean to our own personal 'revolutions', and the bookending shots of the various decrepit locations of the town represented the need to start worrying about the present rather than being mired in the past. My memory isn't clear though, as I saw it during festival season.

Sven
12-03-2007, 11:51 PM
Dancing >>>>>> pie

Rowland
12-03-2007, 11:54 PM
It was Emanoil, the oldest guy who was debating with them. I took his final words as a paean to our own personal 'revolutions', and the bookending shots of the various decrepit locations of the town represented the need to start worrying about the present rather than being mired in the past. My memory isn't clear though, as I saw it during festival season.Hmm... well that didn't occur to me at all. I mean, I recognized how much social criticism there was bubbling just beneath the surface, but I never made this rather elegant connection pertaining to personal revolutions, which is just perfect when considering the structure of the television show and the nature of his closing monologue relating his experience of the rebellion. Now I want to watch it again.

Ezee E
12-03-2007, 11:57 PM
From what hasn't been listed yet:

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly -- learning how to speak by blinking.
4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days -- the long shot at the dinner table

Boner M
12-04-2007, 12:00 AM
4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days -- the long shot at the dinner table
Yeah, that's a good one.

Ezee E
12-04-2007, 12:01 AM
Yeah, that's a good one.
I'm looking forward to the release of this movie and what the rest of the Match Cut world will think of it. I think it'll cause a lot of debate.

Silencio
12-04-2007, 12:07 AM
The Assassination of Jesse James - The actual assassination
Lust, Caution - Second sex scene
Once - Beach
The Bourne Ultimatum - Waterloo station
No Country for Old Men - Bardem's final scene with Kelly Macdonald

Ezee E
12-04-2007, 12:09 AM
I still say the best scene in Assassination of the guy is the train hijack.

Rowland
12-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Lust, Caution - Second sex scene
Which sex scene was that? The "you're getting good at this" one?

Silencio
12-04-2007, 12:15 AM
I still say the best scene in Assassination of the guy is the train hijack.I dunno, the assassination was just so inexplicably and unexpectedly powerful. I was actually surprised when it came since the build-up is so subtle. But once James' daughter began singing, and Pitt walked towards the window, and the look on Affleck's face, it was just perfection.

Silencio
12-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Which sex scene was that? The "you're getting good at this" one?I think so. It was basically a montage of Leung and Wei Tang in a set of very elaborate sexual positions.

Boner M
12-04-2007, 12:19 AM
One of my favorite scenes in Assassination of a shorter title is the crosscutting between Affleck and Sam Shepherd's first meeting, with the rest of the James gang chewing the fat in the woods nearby. That was strangely masterful, to me.

Rowland
12-04-2007, 12:21 AM
I think so. It was basically a montage of Leung and Wei Tang in a set of very elaborate sexual positions.Then no, that's not it. I'm thinking of the sex scenes in the first half with the scuzzy guy teaching her the ropes. You're referring to the big show-stopping sex scenes though.

Silencio
12-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Then no, that's not it. I'm thinking of the sex scenes in the first half with the scuzzy guy teaching her the ropes. You're referring to the big show-stopping sex scenes though.Oh, right. Those first scenes were funny. But yeah, I'm talking specifically about her second scene with Leung, not the first one with the belt.

Ezee E
12-04-2007, 12:52 AM
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead -- anything with Marisa Tomei in it
28 Weeks Later -- The Snipers begin shooting at anything that moves down below.

Rowland
12-04-2007, 01:04 AM
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead -- anything with Marisa Tomei in itThis reminds me...

Exterminating Angels - Threesome lesbian masturbation scene. :pritch:

28 Weeks Later -- The Snipers begin shooting at anything that moves down below.

28 Weeks Later - The guilty kiss and its tragic aftermath.

Silencio
12-04-2007, 01:07 AM
28 Weeks Later - The final shot

Winston*
12-04-2007, 01:11 AM
3 28 Weeks Later picks and no one mentions the opening sequence? It was pretty much the only thing I liked in the movie.

Silencio
12-04-2007, 01:13 AM
3 28 Weeks Later picks and no one mentions the opening sequence? It was pretty much the only thing I liked in the movie.Eh, that scene gets enough love. There are other standouts in the film, like the night-vision scene in the underground station.

ledfloyd
12-04-2007, 01:28 AM
black snake moan thunderstorm scene
zodiac basement scene
death proof car chase
hot fuzz ahhhhhhhhhhh! *blam* *blam*
ratatouille the end
superbad 'these eyes'
no country for old men can't choose. too many great scenes.

origami_mustache
12-04-2007, 01:50 AM
I'm Not There

- Dylan and Ginsberg yelling "How does it feel?" at statue of Jesus.

- Newport Folk Festival + machine guns.

Henry Gale
12-04-2007, 02:00 AM
A lot of the ones that came to mind but were already said:

No Country for Old Men - Llewelyn waiting in his hotel room as Chigurh closes in.
Black Snake Moan - Lazarus plays at the bar as Rae dances.

Ratatouille - Ego's reaction to tasting the ratatouille

Across The Universe - "I Want To Hold Your Hand"

And from that I would add:

Into The Wild - The ending.
No Country For Old Men - "How'd you sleep?"
Harry Potter: OOTP - Harry & Voldemort's showdown.
Hot Fuzz - The last 15 minutes.
Death Proof - "Hold Tight" (the crash).
Southland Tales - "The end of the world" (basically made the whole thing worthwhile)
The singing scene in Superbad that's been mentioned.

Definately more scenes from movies that I am forgetting or will add when I just get around to seeing them.

Watashi
12-04-2007, 02:13 AM
The only bright spot in the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6DfWInVo4U&feature=related)

Rowland
12-04-2007, 02:15 AM
The only bright spot in the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6DfWInVo4U&feature=related)This guy begs to differ. (http://projectionbooth.blogspot.com/2007/12/aqua-teen-hunger-force-colon-movie-film.html)

I haven't seen it yet. I'm in no rush.

Spinal
12-04-2007, 02:19 AM
This reminds me...

Exterminating Angels - Threesome lesbian masturbation scene. :pritch:

In. Deed.

How the hell did I forget that?

Melville
12-04-2007, 02:27 AM
In. Deed.

How the hell did I forget that?
How the hell have I not even heard of this?

Spinal
12-04-2007, 02:28 AM
How have I not heard of this?

Movie is so-so, but that's quite possibly the greatest sex scene ever. No hyperbole.

Duncan
12-04-2007, 02:41 AM
I watched that scene, skipped the movie.

Rowland
12-04-2007, 02:46 AM
The movie isn't very good, but it's loopy and self-justifyingly pretentious/smutty in some of the most delirious ways imaginable. And it is overflowing with ridiculously hot girls making out/masturbating/acting naughty in public/etc.

number8
12-04-2007, 02:46 AM
Fido - The Lassie scene

YESSSSS. Hilarious.

And Hot Fuzz - "You're a doctor. Deal with it." "Yeah, motherfuckaaa."

Melville
12-04-2007, 02:51 AM
The movie isn't very good, but it's loopy and self-justifyingly pretentious/smutty in some of the most delirious ways imaginable. And it is overflowing with ridiculously hot girls making out/masturbating/acting naughty in public/etc.
It's sounding more and more promising.

Watashi
12-04-2007, 02:52 AM
Is there anywhere I can "obtain" this scene without seeing the film?

Rowland
12-04-2007, 02:53 AM
It's sounding more and more promising.I gave it my highest negative score... but I still recommend it. ;)

Spinal
12-04-2007, 02:57 AM

Secret Things is a better film and almost as naughty.

Melville
12-04-2007, 03:04 AM
Secret Things is a better film and almost as naughty.
But is it loopy and self-justifyingly pretentious/smutty in some of the most delirious ways imaginable? Because that's a recommendation that's hard to beat.

Watashi
12-04-2007, 03:10 AM
Even though I didn't react strongly to the film, the final shot/scene from Michael Clayton really resonated with me.

number8
12-04-2007, 03:14 AM
Oh, yeah.

Hairspray - "Without Love"

Derek
12-04-2007, 05:16 AM
But is it loopy and self-justifyingly pretentious/smutty in some of the most delirious ways imaginable? Because that's a recommendation that's hard to beat.

I'd actually say it's more deserving of that label than Exterminating Angels. As Spinal said it's also a better film (much better IMO) and there's still more than enough nudity to go around.

Rowland
12-04-2007, 05:21 AM
I'd actually say it's more deserving of that label than Exterminating Angels. As Spinal said it's also a better film (much better IMO) and there's still more than enough nudity to go around.Well, I wouldn't say that Secret Things is ridiculously literal in its self-justification like Exterminating Angels (which I remain tempted to evaluate as satire), but it is definitely more delirious and genuinely justified in its excesses, and an all-around better movie.

Derek
12-04-2007, 07:05 AM
Well, I wouldn't say that Secret Things is ridiculously literal in its self-justification like Exterminating Angels (which I remain tempted to evaluate as satire), but it is definitely more delirious and genuinely justified in its excesses, and an all-around better movie.

I can agree with that, except for the satire though you might be onto something there.

Justin
12-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Death Proof - The chase scene
Eastern Promises - Bathhouse scene
Black Snake Moan - The scene where Ricci grabs the kid and slams the door with her foot

Lucky
12-04-2007, 04:10 PM
The Quartier de la Madeleine segment of Paris, je t'aime.

number8
12-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Black Snake Moan - The scene where Ricci grabs the kid and slams the door with her foot

That, and her one fell swoop stripping right before it, had me smiling so wide.

monolith94
12-05-2007, 01:52 AM
Khadak - the crane operator's P.O.V. shot

eternity
12-05-2007, 05:43 AM
No Country for Old Men- Across the door scene
Smokin' Aces- Hotel Shootout
Across the Universe- Bowling scene
Superbad- Stealing the booze scene
Hot Fuzz- Shootout scene
Spider-Man 3- Emo dancing scene

So many more.

KK2.0
12-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Assassination etc - Train arrival
Death Proof - 2nd chase... scratch that, the LAP DANCE :)
Zodiac - taxi murder
Planet Terror - Rocket Jump
Elite Squad - Derelict favela shootout
Ratatouille - Remy walking inside the wall
300 - sinking ships
Spiderman 3 - Sandman birth

need to watch many more...

jesse
12-08-2007, 04:30 AM
"Welcome to Paris! Welcome to Paris!" using a finger as a mustache - 2 Days in Paris
"This Time Tomorrow" - Les Amants réguliers (Regular Lovers)
"This Time Tomorrow" - The Darjeeling Limited
Jake Reitan and his parents try to directly but peacefully confront "Focus on the Family" and are promptly arrested for doing so - For the Bible Tells Me So
Louis Garrell tries something different (and sings while doing it) - Les Chansons d'amour (Songs of Love)
"If You Want Me" - Once
Visiting the Taj Mahal - The Namesake
Segregated prom turned on its head - Hairspray
Staring down the gun - Elizabeth: The Golden Age