PDA

View Full Version : Film Swap: The Iron Giant

Cult
12-03-2007, 06:42 PM
The Iron Giant
Recommended by chrisnu.

http://www.whatdvd.net/WhatDVD-Graphics/main/451.jpg

The story here isn't the most inspired in morality--outcast boy makes an unlikely friend, and they teach each other things about life--but Brad Bird puts a quasi-fresh spin on it by making said friend a giant, seemingly harmless robot from outer space. I have to admit I was a little wary of watching The Iron Giant, seeing as it slipped past my radar and I went uninterested in it for 8 years (not to mention I'm not exactly a big Pixar fan). But this was pre-Pixar, and Bird's film proved to be closer in spirit to Miyazaki (who I am a fan of) than Toy Story.

The plot is fairly simple, and that's where a lot of its charm lies. We begin with Hogarth, an evidently smart and caring boy, trying to convince his mom to let him keep a pet squirrel--in lieu of having many human friends. That doesn't pan out, and soon he stumbles upon a new kind of friend altogether. A massive, blank-eyed, metal-eating robot sent from unknown origins takes a curious, cautious liking to the boy--and vice versa. Heart-warming hijinks ensue.

But like all good children's movies, or genre movies in general, there needs to be a villain; someone who wants nothing but the worst for our innocent protagonists. In The Iron Giant, he comes in the form of a fast-talking, pipe-smoking government worker hell-bent on finding and annihilating the "beast" for eating his car and making him appear unstable to his higher-up. He calls in the army on our gentle giant.

In a movie with more than its share of heartbreaking moments, the first one comes from the giant's only encounter with an animal. A deer, that he reaches out to touch, and moments later is shot and killed by hunters. Triggering a defense mechanism, the event awakens the giant's true, though no less mysterious purpose, and he no longer seems so innocent. "Guns kill," Hogarth tells him. The movie's message is presented in just about the least subtle way possible, but it's nonetheless true and--again--heartbreaking. From here on out, it's teary moments one after the other. Without spoiling anything, I'll just say: while it's ultimately a shakily happy ending, it gets there in a surprisingly devastating way (I cried, I'll admit, more than a little).

The film was released in 1999, but its anti-war/gun violence viewpoint is all the more relevant to see today. I'm reminded how helpless good people can be in the face of those with grayer intentions, and a whole lot of fire power.

Thanks chrisnu, for making me cry. Oh, and for recommending a great flick.

Raiders
12-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Huzzah! This movie is awesome.

Watashi
12-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Huzzah! This movie is awesome.

Well, yeah. Only inbred communists can dislike this film.

D_Davis
12-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Awesome film. Brad Bird's best.

Watashi
12-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Awesome film. Brad Bird's best.

You haven't seen Ratatouille yet!

D_Davis
12-03-2007, 07:11 PM
You haven't seen Ratatouille yet!

No I haven't, but it is in my queue.

Sycophant
12-03-2007, 07:13 PM
No I haven't, but it is in my queue.And you won't like it more than The Iron Giant.

Rowland
12-03-2007, 07:14 PM
No I haven't, but it is in my queue.Ditto, and it's still on Very Long Wait too. Damn kids... I'd like to see it before the Top 10 season commences, so maybe I'll just rent it at Family Video.

Watashi
12-03-2007, 07:14 PM
And you won't like it more than The Iron Giant.

Maybe, but I still think he'll like it.

Sycophant
12-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Ditto, and it's still on Very Long Wait too. Damn kids... I'd like to see it before the Top 10 season commences, so maybe I'll just rent it at Family Video.
I don't know if Disney treats Netflix the same way it treats other rental establishments, but they intentionally curb the availability of their titles to rental chains in an effort to force people into buying them. At Hollywood Video, when I worked there, they sent us more copies of Cars to purchase than to rent.

lovejuice
12-03-2007, 07:16 PM
one of a few films i find it very hard to believe someone can dislike.

Rowland
12-03-2007, 07:16 PM
I don't know if Disney treats Netflix the same way it treats other rental establishments, but they intentionally curb the availability of their titles to rental chains in an effort to force people into buying them. At Hollywood Video, when I worked there, they sent us more copies of Cars to purchase than to rent.Hmm. It's likely that they do this for Netflix too, then. I'll probably just go rent it now.

D_Davis
12-03-2007, 07:28 PM
I don't know if Disney treats Netflix the same way it treats other rental establishments, but they intentionally curb the availability of their titles to rental chains in an effort to force people into buying them. At Hollywood Video, when I worked there, they sent us more copies of Cars to purchase than to rent.

Yet another reason to dislike Disney. Between this and their whole "vault" thing...stupidity.

Watashi
12-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Yet another reason to dislike Disney. Between this and their whole "vault" thing...stupidity.

Hey, I hate Bud Selig with a passion, but it doesn't mean I still can't enjoy baseball.

D_Davis
12-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Maybe, but I still think he'll like it.

I have a feeling I will like it, but based purely on the aesthetics I think I will still like Iron Giant more.

D_Davis
12-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Hey, I hate Bud Selig with a passion, but it doesn't mean I still can't enjoy baseball.

I still love Disneyland. I really do think it is the happiest place on Earth, especially during Christmas time.

chrisnu
12-03-2007, 07:34 PM
:) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I will be re-watching Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, and will assemble some thoughts tonight.

D_Davis
12-03-2007, 07:35 PM
I will be re-watching Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, and will assemble some thoughts tonight.

I love this film.

megladon8
12-03-2007, 08:32 PM
I love this film.

Do you have to have seen Valley of the Dolls first, or is this one a stand-alone?

D_Davis
12-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Do you have to have seen Valley of the Dolls first, or is this one a stand-alone?

No relation what-so-ever.

It was just a play on the original's title.

number8
12-04-2007, 02:36 AM
The Iron Giant is one of those movies that when I meet someone who doesn't like it, my first instinct is to punch them in the face and steal their wallet.

Inbred fucking commies.

Cult
12-04-2007, 05:46 AM
I look forward to that. Hopefully you did enjoy it, as I did mine. I'd feel bad for subjecting you to it if not--since you gave me such a nice, genuine rec. ;)