PDA

View Full Version : Revolver

Kurosawa Fan
12-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Guy Ritchie's New Film (http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/revolver/trailer/)

This guy had promise. Where has it all gone?

number8
12-03-2007, 03:00 PM
When I went to see There Will Be Blood, there were a lot of critics there who just saw Revolver that morning, so they were all talking about how utterly and godawfully shitty the movie was.

Dukefrukem
12-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Guy Ritchie's New Film (http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/revolver/trailer/)

This guy had promise. Where has it all gone?

he married madonna...

the last great thing he did was 'The Hire: Star'

Rowland
12-03-2007, 03:50 PM
the last great thing he did was 'The Hire: Star':eek: That was terrible. The worst entry in the series.

Justin
12-03-2007, 03:50 PM
So this is actually coming out? I saw this probably about two years ago, and yes it is absolutely terrible.

number8
12-03-2007, 03:52 PM
:eek: That was terrible. The worst entry in the series.

Yes.

Raiders
12-03-2007, 03:53 PM
It's like, how much more bad could this look? And the answer is none. None more bad.

Dukefrukem
12-03-2007, 04:07 PM
:eek: That was terrible. The worst entry in the series.

aw c'mon!

the only one i liked better than it was "Ticker"

chrisnu
12-03-2007, 04:22 PM
That trailer used music from Mulholland Dr. How dare they.

Did anyone else notice that the plot synopsis, director, and cast listed do not match the trailer?

D_Davis
12-03-2007, 04:23 PM
The '90s called, they want their movie back.

Dukefrukem
12-03-2007, 04:44 PM
is jason statham wearing a wig?

MadMan
12-03-2007, 09:06 PM
This looks like a great deal of fun, only in a more serious manner that appears on the surface to be sophisticated when in fact it will really be style over subsistance. The cast certainly has me sold on this but I'm not 100% convince that this shows Richie's recovered from Swept Away which possibly has mortally wounded his career.

EvilShoe
12-03-2007, 09:14 PM
This is a terrible film, but also one that is enjoyable (if for all the wrong reasons).

Mal
12-03-2007, 09:18 PM
This was supposed to be release 2 years ago. I reckon there be a reason for that.

EvilShoe
12-03-2007, 09:31 PM
This was supposed to be release 2 years ago. I reckon there be a reason for that.
America was not ready for Statham's wig.

number8
12-04-2007, 02:48 AM
...until they saw Crank. Now you can have cross-dressing Statham fucking a mutated chicken and people would be like, "Yes."

MadMan
12-04-2007, 02:50 AM
...until they saw Crank. Now you can have cross-dressing Statham fucking a mutated chicken and people would be like, "Yes."That will be the sequel to Crank. It will make millions.

number8
12-04-2007, 02:54 AM
Crank 2's real premise is actually almost as crazy.

megladon8
12-04-2007, 04:18 AM
My God...Ray Liotta needs to lay off the plastic surgery.

And that's over 2 years ago.

Yeesh.

Melville
12-04-2007, 04:54 AM
So this is actually coming out? I saw this probably about two years ago, and yes it is absolutely terrible.
Ditto. I never expected Guy Ritchie to make an entire movie centered around bogus mysticism. Madonna must have hit him over the head with her copy of the Kabbalah one too many times.

It's like, how much more bad could this look? And the answer is none. None more bad.
:lol:

EvilShoe
12-04-2007, 06:09 AM
Crank 2's real premise is actually almost as crazy.
I thought they were keeping this secret?

number8
12-04-2007, 06:25 AM
I thought they were keeping this secret?

Not really, it was out about two months ago. Chev Chelios is still alive because of the adrenaline he built up over the course of the movie (the makers were inspired by a YouTube video they saw of a skydiver whose parachute failed to deploy but managed to walk away alive from pure adrenaline). But he wakes up and finds that a gangster has replaced his heart with a mechanical device that has to be charged with electricity every so often.

EvilShoe
12-04-2007, 06:58 AM
Not really, it was out about two months ago. Chev Chelios is still alive because of the adrenaline he built up over the course of the movie (the makers were inspired by a YouTube video they saw of a skydiver whose parachute failed to deploy but managed to walk away alive from pure adrenaline). But he wakes up and finds that a gangster has replaced his heart with a mechanical device that has to be charged with electricity every so often.

The whole thing about the robotic heart has been debunked, though. I think they're going with something else.

The big question on everyone's mind is how they're going to deal with continuing the story of Jason Statham's character Chev Chelios, who (2nd spoiler warning!) died at the end of the first movie. "It's cool. That's the central question and the way they've answered it is really exciting and fun," Rubin told us in between takes of an intense action sequence, "It's really funny and really clever. I remember when we made 'Crank' how we were shooting the scene where he died, and we all laughed because 'there would never be a sequel to this movie.' Those guys are just so unique and their vision is just so specific to them that if you are excited about their vision than you'll love the way they solve and answer that question." He also debunked the early rumors that Chev has a "robotic heart." "That was a real stretch," he chuckled.

number8
12-04-2007, 06:59 AM
The sequel is being called High Voltage, so I can't imagine it being very far off.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm not sure why it was even considered a rumor, since that plot detail was stated in an official press release announcing Statham's return. Maybe he was laughing at the idea of it being a robotic heart instead of the ticker that it is? How is a mechanical heart absurd in the world of Crank anyway?

EvilShoe
12-04-2007, 08:03 AM
The sequel is being called High Voltage, so I can't imagine it being very far off.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm not sure why it was even considered a rumor, since that plot detail was stated in an official press release announcing Statham's return. Maybe he was laughing at the idea of it being a robotic heart instead of the ticker that it is? How is a mechanical heart absurd in the world of Crank anyway?
If anything, it's disappointing in the world of Crank.
I wanted something crazier!

KK2.0
12-04-2007, 03:15 PM
This looks like a great deal of fun, only in a more serious manner that appears on the surface to be sophisticated when in fact it will really be style over subsistance. The cast certainly has me sold on this but I'm not 100% convince that this shows Richie's recovered from Swept Away which possibly has mortally wounded his career.

Agreed.

Judging for the trailer alone i wouldn't think it looks bad, so what if it looks like his previous gangster flicks, i love them! But reading more about it, it's not a crime comedy like those, it seems to be a slow philosophical mish mash with confusing plot and pretentious David Lynch inspired symbolism, that kinda killed it for me.

i want to watch Jason Statham blowing shit up! :frustrated:

...until they saw Crank. Now you can have cross-dressing Statham fucking a mutated chicken and people would be like, "Yes."

This project is tailor made for John Waters. :P

Sven
12-04-2007, 04:05 PM
About Crank:

Do you guys not remember the very very last second, after his fall? He's laying there, dead, but then, we hear a heart beat and his eyes blink, cut to credits. While that could be just a death reflex (and I think it's very thematically fitting), maybe it was the beginning of a second life.

Dukefrukem
10-27-2009, 01:11 PM
So did anyone actually see this movie?

It's not as bad as everyone made it out to be... def. his worst film though.

Raiders
10-27-2009, 01:48 PM
So did anyone actually see this movie?

It's not as bad as everyone made it out to be... def. his worst film though.

I did see it. Loved it actually. Easily his best film, I would say. Then again, I disliked/hated his first three.

I'm pretty sure Sven and Rowland are also big fans.

Dukefrukem
10-27-2009, 01:50 PM
I did see it. Loved it actually. Easily his best film, I would say. Then again, I disliked/hated his first three.

I'm pretty sure Sven and Rowland are also big fans.

You really enjoyed it more than Snatch and Lock? What did you like more about it?

Ray Liotta is a great bad guy.

Raiders
10-27-2009, 02:12 PM
You really enjoyed it more than Snatch and Lock? What did you like more about it?

Ray Liotta is a great bad guy.

It's batshit crazy, and in the best way possible. Plus, that elevator scene is about 100x more enjoyable than anything he created in all his faux-slick previous gangster films. The messier the better in this case and it's essentially a zen-like rant with more guts and glory than anything Aronofsky could pull off.

Skitch
10-27-2009, 08:24 PM
I like it.

Dukefrukem
10-27-2009, 11:04 PM
I liked it. I'm trying to decide how to grade it now.

kuehnepips
10-28-2009, 09:52 PM
I like it.

I don't.

Like I told you - what, years ago? - not for the Stat's strange wig, but for the strange direction, the so called "director" tried to give the movie ... and stopped all of a sudden. Coward.

Dukefrukem
10-28-2009, 10:32 PM
I don't.

Like I told you - what, years ago? - not for the Stat's strange wig, but for the strange direction, the so called "director" tried to give the movie ... and stopped all of a sudden. Coward.

stopped all of a sudden? The ending was made. The smirk said it all.

Skitch
10-29-2009, 12:55 AM
stopped all of a sudden? The ending was made. The smirk said it all.

I think she's right, but I like it nonetheless. :)

Ivan Drago
10-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Jason Statham with hair = Does. Not. Compute.

Dukefrukem
10-30-2009, 12:44 AM
It doesn't look bad on him.

MadMan
10-30-2009, 01:15 AM
From what I remember, this one was fairly solid. Not as merely decent as Rock 'n' Rolla (more of a guilty pleasure, really, that one) or as supposedly bad as Swept Away was (no interest in watching that one), but not as good as Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels. Snatch is still his best, but hey that's just my opinion, man.

Sven
10-30-2009, 09:24 PM
This is one of those "great" films. Calling it his worst only exposes how miscalibrated one's gauge of quality is. You should have it looked at.

Ritchie:

1 Revolver
2 Snatch
3 Rock N Rolla
4 Lock Stock
5 that BMW short
6 Swept Away

I'd like to see Suspect, but I'm not sure where it's available. I think he's okay, loving 1, liking 2 and 3, being amused by 4, tolerating 5, and abhorring 6.

number8
10-30-2009, 09:44 PM
2 Snatch
3 Rock N Rolla
4 Lock Stock
5 that BMW short
6 Swept Away

I haven't seen Revolver, but this is right.

MadMan
10-31-2009, 04:32 AM
My post actually indicated that I think its better than Rock 'N' Rolla and its gotta be easily better than Swept Away. I have not seen his BMW short, yet.

1. Snatch
2. Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
3. Revolver
4. Rock 'N' Rolla

And do I really have to see Swept Away to know its a terrible movie? Cause it sure looks like one.

Skitch
10-31-2009, 08:54 PM
I still don't think he'll top Lock, Stock for me. I just love that flick.

Dukefrukem
10-31-2009, 09:14 PM
How can you guys not love his BMW short? It's blatantly taking a stab at his wife. It's so good.