12-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Why isn't there any?

Stay Puft
12-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Because none exists.

megladon8
12-01-2007, 11:28 PM
It's true.

It seems like you have all the time in the world, then one day you wake up and realize how much has past.

I am still having trouble really grasping the concept that my childhood is over, and I now have to actually be a responsible citizen.

lemon
12-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Time passes so so fast when playing a collegiate sport.. I can't imagine how fast next semester will pass when the season actually starts. Before I know it, god forbid, I will be in the real world.

Kurosawa Fan
12-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Time passes so so fast when playing a collegiate sport.. I can't imagine how fast next semester will pass when the season actually starts. Before I know it, god forbid, I will be in the real world.

Considering your admission of gambling problems, I fear for your college team. :P

Seriously though, what sport do you play?

Ezee E
12-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Considering your admission of gambling problems, I fear for your college team. :P

I'm guessing baseball. But possibly Gymnastics.

Stay Puft
12-01-2007, 11:57 PM
http://i3.tinypic.com/8fys5dj.jpg

"Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay!"

Sven
12-01-2007, 11:57 PM
I miss Thunderclese.

lemon
12-02-2007, 12:57 AM

I play D2 (Division 2) lacrosse, transferred from a D3 program. I hope to be an All-American next year (my junior year), but first I guess I have to see what the competition level is like at D2. D2 has a reputation of having about 5 really good teams with the rest being garbage.

As far as gambling goes, maybe todays catastrophe was the wake up call I needed to start taking life a little more seriously.

Kurosawa Fan
12-02-2007, 01:40 AM
I play D2 (Division 2) lacrosse, transferred from a D3 program. I hope to be an All-American next year (my junior year), but first I guess I have to see what the competition level is like at D2. D2 has a reputation of having about 5 really good teams with the rest being garbage.

As far as gambling goes, maybe todays catastrophe was the wake up call I needed to start taking life a little more seriously.

That's awesome. Lacrosse is a sport I loved to play as a recreation, but I never played in a league or for school. Soccer took up too much of my time.

D_Davis
12-02-2007, 02:29 AM
Time is, perhaps, the most dehumanizing invention mankind has ever created. That we dictate so much of our lives on something so trivial is a great travesty.

lemon
12-02-2007, 02:44 AM
Time is, perhaps, the most dehumanizing invention mankind has ever created. That we dictate so much of our lives on something so trivial is a great travesty.

So we should live with no regard for the past or future?

I understand what your saying though... sort of enjoying the finer things in life instead of trying to accomplish as much as humanly possible?

Rowland
12-02-2007, 02:48 AM
I understand what your saying though... sort of enjoying the finer things in life instead of trying to accomplish as much as humanly possible?I think he's saying that time inspires us to live our lives by a sort of clockwork, so it is dehumanizing to live by incessantly repeated schedules. People are most alive when they break away from this, as the human mind wasn't designed to operate so repetitively.

Maybe, I dunno.

D_Davis
12-02-2007, 02:54 AM
So we should live with no regard for the past or future?

I understand what your saying though... sort of enjoying the finer things in life instead of trying to accomplish as much as humanly possible?

The past and future has nothing to do with our human concept of measuring time. Things really do happen before and after the present, however, dinner time, lunch time, bed time, time for work, minutes, seconds, hours, these things do not exist, or at least in the way we measure them. We should eat when we are hungry, sleep when we are tired, work when we want to go to work, take breaks when we want to, not according to a device that measures something that doesn't even really exist.

Ashley Montague, a British anthropologist and humanist, and the author of The Elephant Man, wrote about this in his great book, The Dehumanization of Man. It is quite fascinating.

lemon
12-02-2007, 05:02 AM
The past and future has nothing to do with our human concept of measuring time. Things really do happen before and after the present, however, dinner time, lunch time, bed time, time for work, minutes, seconds, hours, these things do not exist, or at least in the way we measure them. We should eat when we are hungry, sleep when we are tired, work when we want to go to work, take breaks when we want to, not according to a device that measures something that doesn't even really exist.

I agree that this would be nice, but one could argue that time, as you explain it, is what makes us human. It is what separates humans from animals, as they are free to eat when they hungry, sleep when they are tired...

Thinking of time as you explain it paints me a picture of humans running wildly amok, in a bad way. However, I might just be a pessimist when it comes to judging general human nature.

D_Davis
12-02-2007, 05:11 AM
I agree that this would be nice, but one could argue that time, as you explain it, is what makes us human. It is what separates humans from animals, as they are free to eat when they hungry, sleep when they are tired...

There is some good about time - it does give our chaotic lives some structure. But then again, I would argue that our lives wouldn't be nearly as chaotic if we weren't living them according to some arbitrary measure of a make believe thing.

We were human long before the invention of the time piece.

We used to live by the passing of nature, the sun, the seasons, and our biological clocks.

I just find it odd that so much of our day is dictated by a little machine that some dude made. That guy has placed more control over human civilization than any other man in history. That's a crazy thought!

Speaking of time, anyone who is interested in the subject should check out a book called Einstein's Dreams - it is awesome.

Mysterious Dude
12-02-2007, 05:43 AM
We used to live by the passing of nature, the sun, the seasons, and our biological clocks.

I just find it odd that so much of our day is dictated by a little machine that some dude made. That guy has placed more control over human civilization than any other man in history. That's a crazy thought!
I don't see what is so different about being controlled by a clock than being controlled by the sun. It takes the same amount of time for the earth to make one rotation no matter how you count it. The inventor of the clock may have broken it down into the 24 segments, but it's the same length of time no matter what. And it doesn't necessarily correspond with your body's internal clock, either. Do you get tired just because it's dark out? If you're allowing the sun to control you, you're still being controlled by something external.

Ezee E
12-02-2007, 05:01 PM
If we worked when we wanted to, it would never happen.

Rowland
12-02-2007, 06:33 PM
If we worked when we wanted to, it would never happen.Not if we existed in a society where all of our work was productive and for the betterment of society. We would do the work when it needed to be done, and we'd want to do it.

Ezee E
12-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Not if we existed in a society where all of our work was productive and for the betterment of society. We would do the work when it needed to be done, and we'd want to do it.
hahahahahahahahahahaha

Rowland
12-02-2007, 07:20 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahaI didn't say such a thing is even remotely possible in today's society.

D_Davis
12-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Not if we existed in a society where all of our work was productive and for the betterment of society. We would do the work when it needed to be done, and we'd want to do it.

That's right. In a perfect world, the work would get done because it needs to be done, not because some mechanical device told us it was time to do it.

Rowland
12-02-2007, 09:02 PM
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc275/thehousenextdoor/2007/Links%20for%20the%20Day/November%2027th%202007/25dilbert2.jpg

Thirdy
12-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Time present and time past
Are both perhaps present in time future,
And time future contained in time past.
If all time is eternally present
All time is unredeemable.

SpaceOddity
12-02-2007, 09:39 PM

Wanna join my war on clocks?

Li Lili
12-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Before I used to really care about time, I mean, being aware of the time passing, of the amount of time it takes to accomplish something, of the present time and so on... It made me even very nostalgic.
Now, I'm not sure, because I'm not sure anymore what can happen, I can not control it as I wish, I don't think about the future even if I wish some things to happen. But I don't expect the time to be as I want to be anymore, I don't consider time as a constant line or a continous circle, in fact, I try not to consider time at all. Perhaps I paid too much attention to the time even without realizing it, I, now, prefer not to but would rather change the way I perceive things.