PDA

View Full Version : Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theatre

Mara
06-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Folks of a certain age will remember these fondly, as a series of live-action fairy tales retold with some of the finest acting and directing talent of the 80s. They're cheesy and funny and often decidedly adult. I bought them when they came out on DVD a few years ago, but I'd like to plug again, because I just figured out they are on Netflix instant view.

For those unfamiliar with the series, the most extraordinary thing is how many A-list stars showed up for it. Anybody who was anybody in the 80s did an episode or two. They even got Tim Burton and Francis Ford Coppola to direct episodes.

You can see a list of episodes here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Faerie_Tale_Theatre_ep isodes) Everyone has a favorite, but I like the Cinderella with Jennifer Beale and Matthew Broderick, because the writing was so good.

Ivan Drago
06-15-2009, 05:42 PM
John Lithgow in Goldilocks and the Three Bears?
Billy Crystal and Fred Willard as two of the Three Little Pigs?
MALCOLM MCDOWELL IN LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD?

Me want to see.

Mara
06-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Billy Crystal and Fred Willard as two of the Three Little Pigs?

I remember this being one of the dirtier ones. (Much fascination with porcine breasts.)

But check it out. Paul Reubens as Pinnochio? Mick Jagger? James Earl Jones as Aladdin's Genie?

Plus, every midget actor that was ever famous EVER is in Snow White.

Mara
06-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Plus, Beauty and the Beast with Susan Sarandon, Klaus Kinski and Anjelica Huston.

Klaus. Kinski.

Spinal
06-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Ah, I remember these fondly.

Folks of a certain age will remember these fondly ...

:|

I remember really enjoying The Frog Prince and The Three Little Pigs. Valerie Perrine ... va va va voom.

Mara
06-15-2009, 06:30 PM
I guess these were shown on television, but that's not how I saw them. We'd watch them in gym in elementary school when it was raining too hard to go out for recess.

In fact, I'm pretty sure we saw them on film projectors, with reels and everything.

So much fun.

number8
06-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Awesome.