PDA

View Full Version : Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said

EvilShoe
05-12-2009, 05:08 PM
For D_Davis:

Halcyon Co. co-founders and co-CEOs Victor Kubicek and Derek Anderson, who picked up first-look rights to sci-fi author Philip K. Dick's estate in 2007, have selected his 1974 novel "Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said" as the first of his works they will adapt for the screen, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Set in a futuristic, dystopian world, "Tears" is the tale of a celebrity who wakes up after an assassination attempt to find no one has ever heard of him.

Isa Dick Hackett and Laura Leslie, co-founders of Electric Shepherd Prods., the production arm of the Dick estate, will develop the work alongside Kubicek and Anderson. Dale Rosenbloom and John Alan Simon also will produce.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=55420

First Dick novel I read. Really liked it, especially the twist.

lovejuice
05-12-2009, 05:20 PM
especially the twist.
not sure which twist you mean. i love the novel, but don't really see it work. the biggest problem, imo, is its loopy "science." how can they make audiences accept that?

D_Davis
05-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Hope it's good.

EvilShoe
05-12-2009, 05:42 PM
not sure which twist you mean. i love the novel, but don't really see it work. the biggest problem, imo, is its loopy "science." how can they make audiences accept that?
I haven't read the book since I was 15, but I remember it going a bit like this:
The revelation that the lead character's existence had been erased simply because of a drug a different character had taken, which had turned an alternate universe she envisioned into reality. Something like that?
Again though, fuzzy on the details.

lovejuice
05-12-2009, 05:45 PM
The revelation that the lead character's existence had been erased simply because of a drug a different character had taken, which had turned an alternate universe she envisioned into reality. Something like that?

yes, that's the "science" i'm worry about.

D_Davis
05-12-2009, 05:54 PM
It's a simple solution. The "science" is simply a metaphor for the fear of abandonment felt by a narcissistic character coming to terms with the fact that the universe does not revolve around him. Imagine how you would feel to wake up one day discovering that your existence is so insignificant that it doesn't even begin or end with you, instead your existence relies on another person's fragile mental state. Now imagine being a famous celebrity and discovering this.

The film simply needs to convey this to sell the twist.

It's a character study, the science is just a MacGuffin presenting an interesting way at looking at the problem.

This film will be much, much better if the filmmakers don't focus on the "futuristic, dystopian world," and instead focus on what is important to the story: the characters. Of course this probably won't happen. It would be better to set this film in the here and now, and focus on a Tom Cruise-like character. Of course, this has pretty much already been covered with Vanilla Sky (a film that rips off Flow My Tears, and UBIK), and Southland Tales.

lovejuice
05-12-2009, 06:56 PM
should you spoiler your post? ;)

D_Davis
05-12-2009, 07:02 PM
should you spoiler your post? ;)

I don't know...guess I will.

:)