PDA

View Full Version : My Bloody Valentine Plays the Palladium

BuffaloWilder
04-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Oh, fellow Texans and those who trekked far to join me - who else was there?

And what about that finale? I mean, wowza.

D_Davis
04-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Seeing them tonight.

Spaceman Spiff
04-27-2009, 09:18 PM
THEY CAME TO TORONTO EARLIER THIS YEAR AND I DIDN'T GO HADJASHADGGT

BuffaloWilder
04-28-2009, 12:55 AM
THEY CAME TO TORONTO EARLIER THIS YEAR AND I DIDN'T GO HADJASHADGGT

One of only five U.S. locations, it was.

Spaceman Spiff
04-28-2009, 12:58 AM
By "this year", it was September 25th apparently.

This year = school year, not a calendar year.

BuffaloWilder
04-28-2009, 12:59 AM
By "this year", it was September 25th apparently.

This year = school year, not a calendar year.

Ah, I see.

Acapelli
04-28-2009, 03:16 AM
show was actually kind of disappointing. probably because i built it up so much in my head

this was back in september at the 2nd nyc show

BuffaloWilder
04-28-2009, 03:20 AM
show was actually kind of disappointing. probably because i built it up so much in my head

this was back in september at the 2nd nyc show

Oh, this one was anything but disappointing. Sure, the two opening bands were kind of terrible - particularly the second one - but, once MBV came onstage, the entire place worked themselves into a frenzy. The real crown came at the end, though. They played one long, continuous note - increasing in sound and frequency - for over twenty minutes, during "You Made Me Realise," finally bursting into the chorus. You had to be there.

There were weird technical problems with the vocals all night, though - and they noticed it. But, what can you do about that, I suppose?

Acapelli
04-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Oh, this one was anything but disappointing. Sure, the two opening bands were kind of terrible - particularly the second one - but, once MBV came onstage, the entire place worked themselves into a frenzy. The real crown came at the end, though. They played one long, continuous note - increasing in sound and frequency - for over twenty minutes, during "You Made Me Realise," finally bursting into the chorus. You had to be there.
well i was there, i don't believe they've changed the setlist at all this tour. the show i went to ended exactly like that

the people i went with seemed to all be pretty stoked afterward. i was just disappointed. comparably, i had seen bloc party at the same venue the week before and came out much more positively after that. it was all probably due to expectations

D_Davis
04-28-2009, 01:20 PM
So that was one of the dullest shows I've ever been to.

Sure, they sounded great, but it was like listening to their CDs at an obnoxiously loud volume. They sounded better than I thought they would live, but they looked bored out of their skulls.

I've never seen a band look so bored. It's like they were pissed off they had to play in front of 5,000 people. They didn't even say thank you, which is pretty odd considering they have that many fans without putting an album out for like 15 years. They should be a little more grateful.

I missed them in '91 by about an hour, so part of me is glad I finally saw them.

I did end up leaving early, though, because I was so incredibly bored.

I think at this point in my life, I would have rather seen Slowdive back together doing Pygmalion.

Acapelli
04-28-2009, 01:21 PM
so i guess i wasn't the only one

D_Davis
04-28-2009, 04:21 PM
I left during the big sonic assault at the end, and I took my earplugs out about a hundred feet from the building where they were playing. Even this far away, it was about the loudest thing I've ever heard. It sounded like the building, a concrete and metal convention center, was being demolished from the inside out. People across the street were having to shout to be heard.

Totally insane.

D_Davis
04-28-2009, 06:46 PM
The tunes they played from Isn't Anything were the most interesting of the bunch because they deviated the most from the album.

Feed Me With Your Kiss was awesome; my favorite of the show.

Although they could have written a new song....it's not like haven't had 15 years to do so.

BuffaloWilder
04-28-2009, 08:19 PM
The tunes they played from Isn't Anything were the most interesting of the bunch because they deviated the most from the album.

Feed Me With Your Kiss was awesome; my favorite of the show.

Although they could have written a new song....it's not like haven't had 15 years to do so.

I agree. If there was one low-point (aside from the opening acts) it was the lack of new material. But, what can you do, I suppose.

Remember, though - they always look that bored. That's their 'thing,' I'd hazard. They're shoe-gazers, and they walk slow 'cause they got no place to be, man.

Derek
04-28-2009, 08:38 PM
I think at this point in my life, I would have rather seen Slowdive back together doing Pygmalion.

You'd rather have Slowdive get back together and play their weakest album?

:twisted:

D_Davis
04-28-2009, 09:30 PM
You'd rather have Slowdive get back together and play their weakest album?

:twisted:

You mean their best album?

Derek
04-28-2009, 09:34 PM
You mean their best album?

I do because I'd have them play Souvlaki or Just for a Day. :)

D_Davis
04-28-2009, 09:44 PM
I do because I'd have them play Souvlaki or Just for a Day. :)

Those shows would be on the other two nights when they play their second and third best albums.

Derek
04-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Those shows would be on the other two nights when they play their second and third best albums.

You're confusing me Davis, but that's simply because I can't fathom anyone preferring even "Rutti" to "Souvlaki Space Station", "When the Sun Hits", "Machine Gun", "Allison", "Celia's Dream", "Catch the Breeze" or "Waves". Does. not. compute.

origami_mustache
04-28-2009, 09:53 PM
I saw them last Sunday...I had pretty bad tinnitus for a week...it's still there, but so subtle I hardly notice now. I think it should be gone by the end of this week...anyways the show was amazing. My girlfriend who was with me, saw them before at an unsuitable indoor venue and said they sounded 1000 times better at the outdoor venue.

D_Davis
04-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Rutti is one of my top 10 favorite songs - ever.

Pygmalion is Slowdive's most mature, musically complex, and sonically adventurous album.

Derek
04-29-2009, 03:03 AM
Rutti is one of my top 10 favorite songs - ever.

Pygmalion is Slowdive's most mature, musically complex, and sonically adventurous album.

I prefer their immature, sonically boring and musically simple yet gorgeous dream pop/shoegaze music to their mature, complex, adventurous yet lifeless final album. I like Pygmalion, I just don't like listening to it nearly as much as their first two. "Rutti" is amazing though.

D_Davis
04-29-2009, 03:07 AM
I prefer their immature, sonically boring and musically simple yet gorgeous dream pop/shoegaze music

That makes sense.

;)

Izzy Black
05-28-2009, 10:12 PM
I've never seen a band look so bored.

Did you just say a shoegazer band looked bored? Ha ha ha ha....

D_Davis
05-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Did you just say a shoegazer band looked bored? Ha ha ha ha....

I've seen plenty of shoegazer bands that didn't look totally bored.

:)

While Ride and Slowdive weren't exactly exciting, they at least had some stage presence and charisma. Shields and Butcher had negative charisma.