PDA

View Full Version : 20 Dialogue-Free Movie Scenes to Remember

Fezzik
11-28-2007, 11:37 PM
It's been 12 days since I let Torgo pick the topic of my first list on the new Match-Cut, and after a lot of research I'm about ready to start.

First, some parameters, because without them (as fasozupow noted) it becomes a list of the "top 25 shots of two or more people."

----

1. Songs that are sung by characters in the film count as dialogue and their scenes are disqualified.

2. Songs sung over the background as part of the score do not count as dialogue.

3. Artistic silencing to eliminate the sound of dialogue count as "lacking
dialogue" for purposes of this list.

4. Vocal sounds other than words, such as screams and hums, do not disqualify the scene.

5. Scenes can be as short as a few seconds but can be longer.

6. A lot of these are from recent films, basically due to fuzzy memory and lack of availability of films I may have included on the list normally. This is why I didn't call it "The Top 20" because I am sure there are better ones I cannot remember at this moment. These are the ones that are ingrained in my brain today.

7. If I have remembered incorrectly and there /is/ dialogue in any of these scenes, please feel free to let me know, but be gentle :D

====

Before we start though, a couple of honorable mentions....

monolith94
11-29-2007, 02:53 AM
Awesome idea for a list...

MacGuffin
11-29-2007, 03:00 AM
Hopefully, you're familiar with Taiwanese cinema.

Fezzik
11-29-2007, 03:15 AM

I do not think I've seen a single Taiwanese film, to be honest. If I have, I didn't know it.

Sorry :(

origami_mustache
11-29-2007, 03:18 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking as well.

Sven
11-29-2007, 03:21 AM
I do not think I've seen a single Taiwanese film, to be honest. If I have, I didn't know it.

If anything, I shall be glad at more popular films' representations on your list, rather than sitting through a(nother) parade of esoteric or obscure hits. Bring it on, my Fezziwik!

Note: I realize what your screen name actually is and what it's from. I just can't help but combine your moniker with the merry old fellow from Dickens whenever I see you post.

MacGuffin
11-29-2007, 03:41 AM

You should certainly fix that. Taiwanese cinema is where it's at.

MacGuffin
11-29-2007, 03:42 AM
If anything, I shall be glad at more popular films' representations on your list, rather than sitting through a(nother) parade of esoteric or obscure hits.

I'd much rather see a list of films I haven't heard of as oppose to a list of safe, mainstream choices.

Spinal
11-29-2007, 03:48 AM
I'd much rather see a list of films I haven't heard of as oppose to a list of safe, mainstream choices.

It's just a thread on a movie discussion forum. Chill.

Winston*
11-29-2007, 03:52 AM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/colpot/fezzik.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/colpot/fezzik2.jpg

Boner M
11-29-2007, 03:59 AM
I'm more interested in a list of mainstream choices because memorable dialogue-free scenes are more rare, and thus more valuable (I guess...), in that domain.

origami_mustache
11-29-2007, 04:10 AM
A list of this nature lends itself to more familiar choices. What good is it to reference scenes from films no one has seen. Recalling the scene is the fun of this kind of list. I do prefer seeing films I haven't seen or heard of in favorites list though.

DSNT
11-29-2007, 04:18 AM
It's just a thread on a movie discussion forum. Chill.
Amen. I believe the Clipper Seaman deserves a hearty STFU.

Sven
11-29-2007, 04:55 AM
I'm more interested in a list of mainstream choices because memorable dialogue-free scenes are more rare, and thus more valuable (I guess...), in that domain.

A list of this nature lends itself to more familiar choices. What good is it to reference scenes from films no one has seen. Recalling the scene is the fun of this kind of list.

Yeah, this is what I meant, really. I'm sure Hou Hsie Hsen and Tsai Ming Liang or however their names are spelled, have constructed entire films dedicated to silence. That's cool and all, but I'd like to see if Fezziwik can remind me of a time in a popular (read: mainstream and/or taken for granted) picture where the pictures lived up to that "thousand words" dictum.

Fezzik
11-29-2007, 12:14 PM
HONORABLE MENTION #1

Film: Casablanca (1942)

Scene: "La Marseillaise"

http://bits.westhost.com/scripts/Casablanca/images/casablanca29.jpg

Description: In response to German Major Strasser's commandeering of Sam's piano so that good strong "German" music could be played at Rick's bar, Victor Laszlo uses the house band to stage a defiant counterpoint - the French National anthem - that eventually has most of the bar singing along.

Corny? Yeah, probably, but even today the scene works. The emotions resonate.

The reason it's not on the list: It broke one of the rules (Characters singing) :)

Fezzik
11-29-2007, 02:38 PM
HONORABLE MENTION #2

Film: Jurassic Park (1993)

Scene: Dinosaurs!

http://www.ibiblio.org/samneill/pictures/jp/jpbr1.jpg

Description: After taking a short jeep ride down a forested trail, Dr. Hammond's guests are stopped in a clearing. Ellie marvels at a prehistoric plant she found while Ian Malcolm and Alan Grant catch something out of the corner of their eye.

I loved the way they stretched the suspense out a few seconds longer by focusing on Sam Neill as he took off his glasses and his expression changed from "whats that over there?" to "OMFG!"

The characters and the audience shared in the awe of seeing that first Brachiosaur and it helped make it a movie going experience I certainly won't forget.

As an added treat, some of John Williams' finer work plays over the scene and adds to its majesty.

The reason it's not on the list: A few words are spoken throughout, disqualifying it. Still, its a great example of a scene that really lets the picture tell the story.

balmakboor
11-29-2007, 02:44 PM
What good is it to reference scenes from films no one has seen. Recalling the scene is the fun of this kind of list.

Yeh, I do hope though that obvious movies like 2001: ASO are sitting this one out in the penalty box.

ledfloyd
11-29-2007, 02:49 PM
WTF a dinosaur! (http://jurassicparkwtf.ytmnd.com/)

Raiders
11-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Yeh, I do hope though that obvious movies like 2001: ASO are sitting this one out in the penalty box.

Why? Those scenes are iconic for good reason. They deserve mention because they are among the best and it seems ridiculous to exclude them simply because they are "duh" selections.

balmakboor
11-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Why? Those scenes are iconic for good reason. They deserve mention because they are among the best and it seems ridiculous to exclude them simply because they are "duh" selections.

I guess I just like to be surprised. Of course, if 2001 is represented here, it will be interesting to see what scene he singles out.

Ezee E
11-29-2007, 04:49 PM
I look forward to this Taiwenese-less, mainstream list.

:)

Scar
11-29-2007, 04:51 PM
I look forward to this Taiwenese-less, mainstream list.

:)
As do I.

lovejuice
11-29-2007, 05:24 PM
http://www.ibiblio.org/samneill/pictures/jp/jpbr1.jpg

damn the overuse of cgi in today industry. back then, wasn't it awesome just to look at this simple special effect? notice how clean the dinosaur is. this is not cutting egde by today standard, but hot damn i can still remembered that day i was in theatre starring at the screen.

D_Davis
11-29-2007, 05:37 PM

Goodbye Dragon Inn has like what, one line of dialog?

balmakboor
11-29-2007, 06:05 PM

I know it had a shot of an empty movie theater that lasted longer than Gone With the Wind.

EvilShoe
11-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Ha, I love that movie.
This should probably go in the "Haunted theater viewings"-thread but seeing it was a weird experience. I saw it in a theater that was about to be shut down, with only three other people. One of them acted like a character in the movie. (I think he kept going outside and going back in...)

But yeah... good thread so far!

Fezzik
11-29-2007, 10:56 PM
-= #20 =-

Notting Hill (1999)

The changing of the seasons

http://home.comcast.net/~kuelthador/NH.JPG

Description: After a rather harsh rebuke at the hands of Mega-Star Anna Scott, Will Thacker (Hugh Grant) takes a walk through the Notting Hill Weekend Market. As he walks, time goes by and the seasons change as Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine" plays in the background.

I remember being blown away by this scene the first time I saw it. It was so seamlessly done and so impeccably staged without missing a hitch or a beat. A well placed recurring character - a pregnant woman - helps add to the illusion.

Kurosawa Fan
11-29-2007, 11:02 PM
"Ain't No Sunshine" makes any scene better.

Melville
11-30-2007, 05:58 AM
Yeah, this is what I meant, really. I'm sure Hou Hsie Hsen and Tsai Ming Liang or however their names are spelled, have constructed entire films dedicated to silence. That's cool and all, but I'd like to see if Fezziwik can remind me of a time in a popular (read: mainstream and/or taken for granted) picture where the pictures lived up to that "thousand words" dictum.
Plus, the nature of the list kind of suggests that these scenes should stand out from their surroundings. A dialogue-free scene in a Tsai Ming-Liang film might be great, but it doesn't really make you take notice of its silence.

Raiders
11-30-2007, 11:54 AM
That is a great scene from Notting Hill, a film that was better than it had any right to be.

Fezzik
11-30-2007, 01:04 PM
-= #19 =-

The Fugitive (1993)

The Train Crash

http://www.flashfilmworks.com/MovieGuide/fugitive/fugitive04.jpg

Description: The prison bus hauling several convicted inmates to their new home at the Illinois Penitentiary is hijacked by the inmates themselves. When the driver is shot, the bus careeens out of control and comes to rest on a set of train tracks.

After helping one of the guards rescue his partner, Dr. Richard Kimble is left to fend for himself and barely makes it out alive as an oncoming train makes short work of the bus, then derails and nearly takes out the good doctor himself.

One of the more impressive stunt sequences in film, even to this day.

MadMan
12-01-2007, 03:19 AM
"Ain't No Sunshine" makes any scene better.Damn straight. Bill Withers rocks.

I love that singing scene in Cassablanca because its so powerful and a great "Screw You" to the Nazis. I embrace it fully, corniness and all.

To me Jurassic Park's special effects still hold up amazingly 14 years later. That's insanely impressive, and I think its a testment to the fact that you don't need CGI to create something truly realistic and awe-inspiring.

Aye, the train crash scene in The Fugitive is pretty intense. That film is one of my favorite thrillers.

Great start to the list man. Keep it up the good work :cool:

lovejuice
12-01-2007, 07:04 AM
http://www.flashfilmworks.com/MovieGuide/fugitive/fugitive04.jpg

a good scene indeed, but since it's a stunt sequence, i have a hard time believe there won't be any that's stronger.

Qrazy
12-01-2007, 07:30 AM
To me Jurassic Park's special effects still hold up amazingly 14 years later. That's insanely impressive, and I think its a testment to the fact that you don't need CGI to create something truly realistic and awe-inspiring.

They did need CGI...

Torgo
12-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Glad you liked my suggestion. Looking forward to your list.

Fezzik
12-02-2007, 12:11 AM
-= #18 =-

Bonnie and Clyde (1967)

The roadside ambush

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/08/12/arts/12scot.large1.jpg

Description: Unknowingly betrayed, Bonnie and Clyde walk right into a trap laid out to snare them. After all their killing and their crime spree, it was their efforts to help a friend in need that led to their demise

From the moment Malcolm shoots his first furtive glance towards the bushes, all speaking stops. It doesn't take long for the doomed lovers to realize they're about to meet their end and they share one last long look before the air explodes with gunfire.

Words weren't needed. The scene was brutal, final and over very quickly. It showed an inhuman hatred of two people by another and remains one of the more jarring endings in motion picture history.

origami_mustache
12-02-2007, 09:57 PM
-= #18 =-

Bonnie and Clyde (1967)

The roadside ambush

Excellent choice sir.

Briare
12-03-2007, 01:08 AM
-= #18 =-

Bonnie and Clyde (1967)

The roadside ambush

ry.

When the birds take off from the bushes... wow. It just knocked me over the first time I saw it.

One of my favorite movies.

Fezzik
12-03-2007, 12:53 PM
-= #17 =-

Nuovo Cinema Paradiso (1988)

Screen Kisses

http://home.comcast.net/~kuelthador/02.44.53-r4.jpg

Description: Filmmaker Salvatore Di Vita returns to his home town to attend the funeral of Alfredo, the projectionist who sparked Salvatore's love of film. As a bequest, Salvatore is given a reel of film. The reel contains a montage of all the screen kisses that Alfredo had been forced to splice out of films back in the day due to pressure from a local priest.

A touching scene, rather brilliant in its simplicity, that admittedly caused me to shed a few tears. Alfredo's final gift to Salvatore was one of love, liberation and promise. A lovely moment in one of my favorite films.

Fezzik
12-04-2007, 03:59 PM
-= #16 =-

Say Anything.. (1989)

Everything's going to be ok

http://www.filmreference.com/images/sjff_03_img1033.jpg

Description:

In a movie with multiple classic "dialogue-free scenes", the one that strikes the hardest is the ending.

Lloyd Dobler and Diane Court have overcome a lot to be together by the end of the film, including Diane having to come to terms with the fact that her father (John Mahoney) is a white collar criminal who lied to her about where a lot of their money came from.

At the end, the two of them are on a plane for England, with Lloyd reassuring Diane - who has never flown before - that everything will be fine. To keep her occupied while the plane ascends, he tells her to watch the seatbelt light and notes that once it goes off, the flight is truly underway and the worst is over. The two of them stare at the light for a few long, tense moments, Diane's hand clutching Lloyd's as her eyes seem to grow more nervous, until finally, with a simple "Ding!", the light goes off and the movie ends. Everything will be ok.

A wonderfully understated ending to one of the most underrated movies ever.

(Apologies for the picture above - I was unable to find a picture of the requisite scene).

lovejuice
12-04-2007, 05:17 PM
i haven't seen say anything yet, but your picking cinema paradiso is awesome.

i'm thinking about doing 20 dialoguey scenes to remember, and one of them must be the solider story from cinema paradiso.

Fezzik
12-05-2007, 12:42 PM
-= #15 =-

The Philadelphia Story (1940)

Hand to the Face!

http://home.comcast.net/~kuelthador/philadelphiastory02.jpg

Description: One of the greatest comedies ever made starts, appropriately, with one of the funniest opening scenes ever, performed by two of Hollywood's all time legends on the top of their game.

Dexter (Cary Grant) and Tracy (Katharine Hepburn) are having a bit of a falling out. She's throwing him out. As Dexter is leaving the house with his briefcase, his soon to be ex-wife, Tracy, comes out of the house, smashes his pipe holder on the ground and throws his golf bag at him (after removing one of the clubs, of course). She then breaks the club over her knee, tosses it at him and flashes a victorious smirk at him. Without a beat, he follows her back to the house, moves to hit her, then pauses...

....and with a palm to her face, knocks her down out of the scene.

dreamdead
12-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Violence against women in classic Hollywood is awesome.

I've started Philadelphia Story a few times, but I need to finish it someday. That cast tells me as much...

Sven
12-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Violence against women in classic Hollywood is awesome.

I've started Philadelphia Story a few times, but I need to finish it someday. That cast tells me as much...

It's not very good, but the hand to the face bit is incredible.

megladon8
12-05-2007, 02:53 PM
It's not very good, but the hand to the face bit is incredible.

Bah!

The Philadelphia Story is wonderful. True classic Hollywood greatness.

Fezzik
12-06-2007, 12:09 PM
-= #14 =-

Star Wars (1977)

The Double Sunset

http://data2.blog.de/media/665/1286665_846bc8ce2e_m.jpg

Description: After his uncle Owen lays on a guilt trip and pretty much crushes his dream of going to the Rebel Academy, Luke leaves the dinner table for some quiet personal time and watches Tatooine's two suns set upon the desert.

This scene (and the power of Williams music) was spoofed in the recent "Family Guy" Star Wars Episode, when during the show's version of this scene, the character of "Luke" (Chris Griffin, in this case) turns to the 'camera' mid-scene and waves his arm to an orchestra just off screen and says "John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra, everybody."

I laughed at that, because it really is Williams' music that gives this scene its majesty.

By itself, it is a fine scene, but the score at this point ranks as my personal favorite of John Williams' Star Wars music.

Qrazy
12-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Very powerful cinematography on the cut back to Luke's face as well.

Dukefrukem
12-06-2007, 01:04 PM
I hope the Matrix is on here....

Scar
12-06-2007, 01:13 PM
I hope the Matrix is on here....

:|

Fezzik
12-06-2007, 11:02 PM
-= #13 =-

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Life Functions Terminated

http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image/article/827/827883/ocd-doctors-hunter-kimball-and-kaminsky-20071016034814183.jpg

Description: It's probably not surprising that a scene from 2001 made it to this list, but it was very difficult in deciding which to include. I almost included the scenes where HAL reads Dave's and Frank's lips through the pod window RIGHT before cutting to intermission, but after some thought, I felt this one was better.

After luring Dave out of the Discovery One by killing Frank, HAL methodically goes about terminating the lives of the three doctors aboard - the ones who were to be freed from suspended animation when they neared Saturn.

First, the labels on the vitals screen begin to blink red, then a blaring noise accompanied by "LIFE FUNCTIONS CRITICAL" flashing on the screen alerts us to what exactly is going on. The vital signs on the monitors slowly begin to flicker and fail untill a final, chilling "LIFE FUNCTIONS TERMINATED" appears on the screen and the monitors all slowly flatline.

A chilling, scary scene.

Philosophe_rouge
12-07-2007, 12:44 AM
Bonnie and Clyde is an excellent scene, can't complain about 2001 either... I agree, very difficult just to choose one scene from the film, I 'm actually pleased you chose something I wouldn't have expected.

MadMan
12-07-2007, 07:11 PM
#15 is just goddamn beautiful, and yes John Williams score for it is magnificent.

I agree with #14 being pretty chilling. It does feed into the scary thought that when your in the hands of a machine that machine can go crazy and decide to kill you right then and there.

As for the scene where HAL reads Dave and Frank's lips I like that there's no audio when HAL is watching, as it gives his point of view. Through that we almost feel his paranoia growing, as we wonder first along with him what the two are plaining, and then share in his realization as to what they are going to do. Pretty cool stuff, well to me anyways.

Grouchy
12-07-2007, 10:38 PM
You got two #15s. Heh.

All excellent choices, specially 2001 and Bonnie and Clyde moments. Well, I'd put any of the honorable mentions in the last spot and throw Notting Hill into a shitpile where it belongs, but that's just me.

Fezzik
12-08-2007, 12:02 AM
You got two #15s. Heh.

Doh! You're right. I fixed it. Thanks for the heads up.

Fezzik
12-08-2007, 07:46 PM
-= #12 =-

The Usual Suspects (1995)

The Un-Cripple

http://home.comcast.net/~kuelthador/vk.JPG

Description: There is only one reason why this scene is not higher on the list - I kinda feel like I'm cheating by including it. Although there is no original dialogue in the scene, most of it has a playover - flashback style - of dialogue from earlier in the film. Although that kinda/sorta fits the rule of "stuff being sung in the background" I still feel a little dirty for including it.

(The rest is in SPOILERS below)

But how could I not? In my opinion, it ranks as the greatest twist ending in movie history and it wasn't just the twist that I remember, it was how that twist was revealed which sticks with me.

Slow realization by Kugan, remembrances of things said previously, the crashing coffee cup, Kint limping down the street and then suddenly his limp diminishing until it was gone...the flexing of the hand and the lighting of the cigarette with the gold lighter...the final look back...just...damn, just thinking about it makes me smile.

Sven
12-08-2007, 07:49 PM
You may want to include a spoiler alert and hide some of that text. I don't really mind, and I'm pretty sure there isn't a soul now that either hasn't seen that movie or doesn't know how it ends. But still.

Philosophe_rouge
12-08-2007, 09:23 PM
You may want to include a spoiler alert and hide some of that text. I don't really mind, and I'm pretty sure there isn't a soul now that either hasn't seen that movie or doesn't know how it ends. But still.
I don't and haven't, didn't read the blurb though.

Qrazy
12-08-2007, 10:11 PM
I don't and haven't, didn't read the blurb though.

Philosophe you should PM and hassle BadLieutenant to come to match-cut. He's wasted on RT.

Philosophe_rouge
12-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Philosophe you should PM and hassle BadLieutenant to come to match-cut. He's wasted on RT.
It's really not in my nature to hassle. I may send him one PM though.

Qrazy
12-08-2007, 10:16 PM
It's really not in my nature to hassle. I may send him one PM though.

I'll hassle it into your nature.

MadMan
12-09-2007, 02:22 AM
Philosophe you should PM and hassle BadLieutenant to come to match-cut. He's wasted on RT.I wondered what happened to BL. I think he'd love it here. So yeah I agree with Qrazy. Force him to migrate here.

Also I think The Usual Suspects is awesome to begin with, but that twist puts it over the top. Really brilliant stuff I think, although I know many on the site actually don't like the film.

Fezzik
12-10-2007, 11:36 PM
-= #11 =-

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

Mourning Gandalf

http://home.comcast.net/~kuelthador/samcry.JPG

Description: "Fly You Fools." And then he was gone. What followed surprised me. I'd read Tolkein multiple times by the time the films came out, so I knew what was coming. What I didn't expect is to be effected by the scene as much as I was - especially considering that I was expecting it.

But after Frodo screams and the voices begin to fade out, leaving only the sounds of arrows striking rock and Howard Shore's elegiac "Gandalf Falls," the film's weight seems to double before our eyes.

The escape from Moria, coupled with the heartbreaking montage of reactions from the other Fellowship members...Sam crying into his hands, a delirious Gimli being held by Boromir, Legolas' stunned far off look and Merry cradling Pippin while he lies in a fetal position, shook the film audience.

I learned most of this after the fact from people who'd never read the books before seeing the films. Before this scene, a lot of them felt they were in for a happy-go-lucky fantasy film with some really cool fight scenes. Once Gandalf fell, however, they felt like they'd been punched in the gut, and the entire trilogy changed for them at that point. If Jackson had flubbed this scene even a little bit, it would have been a disaster. Thankfully, he didn't.

Ivan Drago
12-11-2007, 01:10 AM
This scene (and the power of Williams music) was spoofed in the recent "Family Guy" Star Wars Episode, when during the show's version of this scene, the character of "Luke" (Chris Griffin, in this case) turns to the 'camera' mid-scene and waves his arm to an orchestra just off screen and says "John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra, everybody."

Quite possibly one of the worst Family Guy episodes in recent memory.

"Luke, don't tell your uncle that your father is Darth Vader!" :rolleyes:

MadMan
12-11-2007, 06:22 PM
#11 is one of the most emotionally powerful moments in the trilogy. Its packed quite a punch on each of my multiple (I think 11) viewings of the first flick. Great choice.

Spinal
12-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Fezzik, I added an additional spoiler tag to the title of your Usual Suspects entry.

EDIT: added spoiler tags to 2001 as well.

Fezzik
12-12-2007, 08:59 PM
-= #10 =-

Mulan (1998)

Mulan's Decision

http://home.comcast.net/~kuelthador/mulan.JPG

Description: The first of three scenes in my list from animated films (all of them American ones, sorry guys :)), this montage follows Mulan as she makes her decision to disguise herself as a man in order to take her father's place in the Imperial army and then her actions as she follows through.

Jerry Goldsmith's music is damn near hypnotic in this scene, especially the one more "modern" sounding cue that transports you out of the movie for a few moments as you follow Mulan's path through her house, from taking her father's conscription letter (the small smile she flashes at his sleeping form before leaving the room is my favorite part of this scene), the procuring of her father's armor and sword, the cutting of her own hair and final prayer before taking the family's horse and leaving.

A sometimes forgotten scene in what I consider to be an underrated film.

lovejuice
12-12-2007, 09:05 PM
i love mulan, but somehow that scene never stood out for me. guess it's time to rewatch the thing. :)

Sycophant
12-12-2007, 09:31 PM
-= #10 =-

Mulan (1998)

Mulan's Decision

Description: The first of three scenes in my list from animated films (all of them American ones, sorry guys :)), this montage follows Mulan as she makes her decision to disguise herself as a man in order to take her father's place in the Imperial army and then her actions as she follows through.

Jerry Goldsmith's music is damn near hypnotic in this scene, especially the one more "modern" sounding cue that transports you out of the movie for a few moments as you follow Mulan's path through her house, from taking her father's conscription letter (the small smile she flashes at his sleeping form before leaving the room is my favorite part of this scene), the procuring of her father's armor and sword, the cutting of her own hair and final prayer before taking the family's horse and leaving.I remember seeing this scene in a preview with the same song underscoring it, but with a different arrangement that was decidedly less "modern" and that I liked significantly more. But I was 15 at the time, so who knows if I'd agree with myself now.

A sometimes forgotten scene in what I consider to be an underrated film.Mulan is probably one of my favorite Disney films from that specific era, but I'd imagine its reputation is somewhere around respectable-if-nothing-spectacular, which I believe suits it.

Fezzik
12-13-2007, 01:53 PM
-= #9 =-

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

In the Dark

http://home.comcast.net/~kuelthador/SotL_1105.jpg

Description: A routine stop-in to ask some questions turns into a nightmare as FBI agent Clarice Starling finds herself face to face with the man she's been hunting, Jame Bumb, aka Buffalo Bill.

She follows him into the basement and locates the missing senator's daughter, then is suddenly goes dark. Only the whine of Jame's night vision goggles powering up can be heard.

The predator has become the prey with a single flip of the lightswitch. Jame continues to toy with Clarice even though she can't see him, reaching out on multiple occasions to almost touch her face.

A chilling scene through the eyes of the criminal.

Kurosawa Fan
12-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Great scene.

Ezee E
12-13-2007, 04:28 PM
That's one of the first scenes that wowed me when I was young. Nice choice.

Fezzik
12-14-2007, 04:05 PM
-= #8 =-

The Lion King (1994)

Stampede!

http://www.lionking.org/imgarchive/Act_1/StampedeBegins.jpg

Description: Tricked by his Uncle Scar to wait in the ravine for his father, Simba practices his roar, then notices a pebble bouncing around. A couple of seconds later, he spies some birds flying over the edge of ravine and...is that a cloud of dust?? Then, with almost no more warning, a herd of wildebeest flow down into the ravine like a tidal wave. As Hans Zimmer's frenetic score kicks into high gear, Simba does his best to survive the hundreds of thundering hooves.

I remember well the first time I saw The Lion King back in 1994 and I also remember literally almost choking on my soda when I saw the wildebeest storm into the ravine. Disney Animation had to build a new computer to handle the Flocking Algorithm they used to create the wildebeest stampede - it was the first time that I can remember that motion-intensive CGI was used in a 2D animated film with such incredible effect.

lovejuice
12-14-2007, 06:59 PM
this reminds me of lion king the musical in which taymor has to resource to all the tricks in her bag in order to pull this scene off. :P

Fezzik
12-15-2007, 02:58 AM
-= #7 =-

Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)

Chess in the Rain

http://home.comcast.net/~kuelthador/sfbf.JPG

Description: Playing hide and seek at his birthday party, John Waitzkin stumbles onto a group of men playing board games in the park. Despite his mother's insistence that he return before the rains start, he is enraptured by the sights and sounds he witnesses. Soon, the rain does start, and as the rain speeds up, so does the chess, with the clacks of the pieces and chess timers blending with the sound of raindrops hitting the boards and benches.

I won't try to hide that Searching for Bobby Fischer is one of my favorite films ever, and I credit this sequence (the opening) with hooking me. The cinematography along with the sound design and editing, gave the game of chess a mystique it never had for me before. Well done, sirs!

Ivan Drago
12-15-2007, 03:43 AM
:crosses fingers for the final scene of In The Mood For Love:

jesse
12-15-2007, 07:12 PM
You may want to include a spoiler alert and hide some of that text. I don't really mind, and I'm pretty sure there isn't a soul now that either hasn't seen that movie or doesn't know how it ends. But still. *raisies hand* On both counts.

Though it wouldn't have bothered me because it's not a film I'll likely ever see anyway.

jesse
12-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Man, Searching for Bobby Fischer is one of those films I watched over and over as a kid but haven't seen in years. I should take another look.

Sven
12-15-2007, 09:43 PM
*raisies hand* On both counts.

Though it wouldn't have bothered me because it's not a film I'll likely ever see anyway.

Well, I don't know how you managed it, but I must say, you're probably better off. There's only one film whose popularity baffles me more, and it rhymes with Mound of Kubrick. ;)

MadMan
12-15-2007, 10:29 PM
:crosses fingers for the final scene of In The Mood For Love:I'm somewhat mixed about that scene to be honest. A second viewing is in order though, and I donno why I didn't viewing a second time when I rented it months ago (that was my first viewing of the film).

Yeah #8 rocks. The Lion King really was the peak of classic 2D animation, and sadly one of the last great 2D films made before the era of 3D emerged.

Fezzik
12-17-2007, 02:23 PM
-= #6 =-

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)

In the Trees

http://home.comcast.net/~kuelthador/cthd_294.jpg

Description: In possession of the Green Destiny sword, Jen Yu (Ziyi Zhang) is confronted by Yu Shu Lien (Michelle Yeoh) in the courtyard of an old dojo. After a stellar one-on-one combat sequence (with Yeoh employing every type of weapon possible in an attempt to best Jen in a duel - and failing), Jen escapes with the sword as the dojo is stormed and ends up facing off against the rightful owner of the sword - Li Mu Bai (Chow Yun Fat) - in a fight amongst the treetops of a nearby wood.

The entire scene (from Jen's fight with Lien to the end of the confrontation with Mu Bai) did not qualify for this list, as there was plenty of dialogue interspersed, but when considered alone, the majority of her confrontation with Li Mu Bai amongst the trees certainly does. What struck me most about this scene was the use of sound - the leaves rustling, the wind whistling through the trees, the sound of water below. The two were enveloped by nature, something emphasized when their swords would occasionally meet in a clang. A gorgeous scene from a rather polarizing film.

Fezzik
12-17-2007, 07:19 PM
I'd like to thank everyone for the support (and kind words) I've received so far. This list is about to reach the home stretch...

My personal Top 5 movie scenes which are free of dialogue.

Looking at the ones I have left, I already know that one will cause people to hate me forever or think I'm :crazy:.

To this point, the list hasn't had a strict order. I've been listing them as I could, searching for the images to go with the scenes the best I can.

Now that I'm to this point though, these will be my actual top 5.

The discussion so far has been rather light, so I don't know whether you're all enjoying this from afar or haven't been interested enough to have an opinion. To recap, though, here's where we are:

Honorable Mention #1 - Casablanca (1942), "La Marseillaise"
Honorable Mention #2 - Jurassic Park (1993) - the first dinosaur sighting

20 - Notting Hill (1999) - Will's walk through the market as the seasons change
19 - The Fugitive (1993) - The train crash
18 - Bonnie and Clyde (1967) - The roadside ambush
17 - Nuovo Cinema Paradiso (1988) - The kissing montage
16 - Say Anything… (1989) - "Ding!"
15 - The Philadelphia Story (1940) - Hand to the face!
14 - Star Wars (1977) - The double sunset
13 - 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - [Spoiler Deleted] ;)
12 - The Usual Suspects (1995)- The end
11 - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - Mourning Gandalf
10 - Mulan (1998) - Mulan's decision
9 - The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - Clarice in Buffalo Bill's darkened basement.
8 - The Lion King (1994) - Wildebeest stampede
7 - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993) - Chess in the rain
6 - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) - Fight in the trees

Fezzik
12-18-2007, 03:39 AM
-= #5 =-

The Incredibles (2004)

Dash finds his feet

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1372/1480799617_7dbfeab502.jpg

Description:

"Do what mom told you."
"Huh?"
"RUN!"
"Oh!!"

And in a flash, Dash is gone. The chase sequence that finally allows Dashiel Parr to experience exactly what he is capable of is one of my favorite sequences in any movie of any year. The frenetic energy in the scene matches Dash's enthusiasm and as he runs, flies and falls through the forest we're treated to an homage of the speeder biker chase in Return of the Jedi, the admission that when superheroes run very fast, they REALLY need to keep their mouths shut (its the bugs, you know), and that being a super can be really, really fun.

The best moment of the scene? When Dash closes his eyes as he approaches the edge of the lake, then looks down in surprise when he realizes he is running ON TOP of the water, then lets out a joyful laugh and speeds up even more. An incredibly (no pu...ok ok, pun intended) well done scene, and proof of Brad Bird's genius.

Kurosawa Fan
12-18-2007, 03:46 AM
*Listens for Watashi's approaching feet in the distance*

lovejuice
12-18-2007, 05:32 PM
A gorgeous scene from a rather polarizing film.

does it mean you actually don't like the film that much?

Fezzik
12-18-2007, 05:48 PM
does it mean you actually don't like the film that much?

Actually, I adore it. A lot of people I know, though, get angry when talking about it because they hate it so much.

Fezzik
12-18-2007, 07:35 PM
-= #4 =-

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

The Boy in the Corner

http://home.comcast.net/~kuelthador/blair-thumb.jpg

Description:

Oh man...I'm gonna hear it for this one...

Searching for their missing friend, Josh, in an old cabin in the woods, Heather (who is filming) and Mike are separated. After a while, Heather goes looking for Mike and finds him in the basement...standing facing the corner. A second later, she is struck and the camera falls...the end.

You either love this movie or you hate it, but this is, in my opinion, one of the more brilliantly crafted movie endings I've ever seen. Heather's camera focuses on Mike just long enough for you to put together in your head what it all means, and then, just as you realize it..*BAM* its over. I clearly remember the loud screams of realization from the back of the theater just before the moment of truth, and I walked out of the theater with weak knees - a first for me.

I'm not a big fan of horror films in general, but this one stuck with me, and the ending is why.

Philosophe_rouge
12-18-2007, 07:36 PM
I LOVE, LOVE, Love your choices of Silence of the Lambs and the Lion King. This is turning out to be a very surprising and fun list.

Scar
12-18-2007, 07:42 PM
I love The Blair Witch to death. FYI, that whole bloody entry is one big spoiler!

Fezzik
12-18-2007, 07:48 PM
I love The Blair Witch to death. FYI, that whole bloody entry is one big spoiler!

Hah! I went back to add them but someone beat me to it.

Kurosawa Fan
12-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Hah! I went back to add them but someone beat me to it.

Yeah, I wanted to get to it quickly.

MadMan
12-19-2007, 01:58 AM
#6 is an amazing and beautiful moment and is poetry in motion. I love that film to death. #5 flat out rocks, and all of the action sequences in that film are excellent and exciting. #4 left me scared shitless and very, very creeped out. Its really the film's way of kicking you in the pants, and is an large, satisifying payoff to an eerie movie.

Fezzik
12-19-2007, 02:27 AM
-= #3 =-

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

Ride to ruin, and the World's ending...

http://home.comcast.net/~kuelthador/rideoftherohirrim206.jpg

Description: The horn sounds, the riders appear. Theoden (Bernard Hill, in an underappreciated performance) delivers one of the most poignant pre-battle speeches ever in a movie, and then they ride...the orcs try to form ranks, but soon break under the intimidating sight of hundreds of mounted Rohirrim bearing down on them. Soon, the riders break across the first rank like a wave, and all hell breaks loose.

It was very tough choosing between this and the Rohirrim's first appearance in The Two Towers, but I felt this one resonated more. The stakes were higher, the tension was ramped up, and for once, a movie showed what a calvary truly could mean to a battle.

If the ride wasn't enough, the shots to follow - crane shots following the riders as they rode THROUGH the orcs, made me tremble. Such beauty from violence. Still a landmark scene in one of the most emotionally draining movies I've ever seen.

Forth Eorlingas!

Qrazy
12-19-2007, 03:05 AM
The best storyboarded sequence in the entire film, really terrific.

Fezzik
12-19-2007, 06:31 PM
-= #2 =-

Psycho! (1968)

The Shower

http://home.comcast.net/~kuelthador/psycho.jpg

Description: Yes, it's probably a cliche to have this here, but you know what they say...things become cliche because they're true, and this scene has stood the test of time. Hitchcock's bold move to not only kill of the "star" of the film less than halfway through, but to do it in such a brutal fashion, helped found this film's legacy. Bernard Herrmann's brilliant score is now almost as famous (some would say more so) than the movie itself.

The composition of this scene is so well done - the silhouette, the music, the cuts to the knife and the stabbing motion, the blood on the curtain and going down the drain. Hitchcock was a master and knew how to accomplish more by showing less. Even today, horror films are rarely this effective.

Fezzik
12-20-2007, 03:06 PM
-= #1 =-

Glory (1989)

Trip's Flogging

http://home.comcast.net/~kuelthador/denzel.jpg

Description: After being caught while trying to leave camp to find shoes, Private Trip (Denzel Washington) is sentenced to a flogging in front of the rest of his regiment. Despite Colonel Shaw's hesitance to go through with the act, he realizes that he has to hold to military law and orders the sentence to be carried out. In defiance, Trip throws off his shirt to reveal the criss-crossed scars of many whipping he'd received over the years as a slave.

Even the flogger looks uneasy performing the sentence, but does what he is ordered. Trip's eyes never leave the Colonel's face, and he says nothing in protest as he is flogged, but as strong as he is, even Trip can't keep a single tear from strolling down his cheek.

Upon seeing his movie for the first time, I was awestruck by Denzel's performance and it was this scene that helped me truly appreciate more aspects of filmmaking than just the writing. Glory has, over the years, become of my favorite films (it's so hard to pick a singular favorite, but this one is always in the discussion), and it was this scene that punctuated it's power.

A perfect example of the power of film without words.