PDA

View Full Version : Gigantic

number8
04-09-2009, 08:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjBi5x74ZdE

1) Zooey Deschanel needs a new character.

2) I don't know what to think of Dano as a lead.

3) This and 500 Days of Summer at the same time? I can't take it.

4) I like the supporting cast, though. Uncredited in the trailer, but yes, that one shot of that bearded dude is indeed Zack Galifinakis.

5) This movie, according to Mr. Skin who has seen the film, features Zooey's first topless scene. Go crazy, Match Cut.

NickGlass
04-09-2009, 07:46 PM
You also failed to mention that Zooey's character goes by the name "Happy."

Make. it. Stop.

Grouchy
04-09-2009, 07:55 PM
I've seen it. Here's what I had to say about it:

Boy, was this movie Gigantic ever weird. It started off like your typical quirky romantic comedy, which scared me a lot, but every scene made it increasingly surprising and bizarre. I ended up laughing a lot even while I have to confess I don't understand the script. It's about Brian, this matress salesman (Paul Dano), who has a strange obsession about adopting a Chinese baby, and who meets this girl (Zooey Deschanel) through her father (John Goodman), an obese millionaire who buys a $14.000 Sweden bed from him. The film's sparse style and elegant widescreen compositions make it very watchable even through scenes that don't make much sense. And there is a subplot about a homeless man which stays a mystery for the entire movie. Overall, I have to commend Gigantic for its unconventional portrayal of relationships and for presenting us with genuinely strange characters and families instead of the stock-angst-indie-story character that has been the norm since Royal Tenembaums. Paul Dano is quickly becoming one of my favorite young actors - and I liked that his character was confident and intelligent instead of shy and clumsy like they usually are in these movies. I don't know if the movie is as good as you might take away from my comments. It sure is bloated with information apart from incoherent. But it has a strange way of sticking with you and finding comedy from unexpected situations. It's an interesting feature film debut, that's for sure.