PDA

View Full Version : Kûki ningyô (Koreeda, 2009)

Sycophant
04-05-2009, 11:47 PM
This is coming out in Japan this Fall. It's Koreeda Hirokazu's first adaptation of existing material (a manga by Yoshiie Goda). It is the story of a video store clerk and his blowup sex doll, which goes all Today's Special and comes to life. This sex doll will be played by Du-Na Bae.

Also has Jo Odagiri and Susumu Terajima in it.

My first thought was "What?" and then my second thought was "Okay!" I'm looking forward to this.

http://www.whatnotstudios.com/shit/doona_bae_ningyo.jpg

Article (http://www.nipponcinema.com/blog/details_revealed_for_kore_edas _next_film_kuuki_ningyou_starr ing_doona_bae/).

Amnesiac
04-06-2009, 12:01 AM
I think it would be interesting to take a comprehensive look at all the various films that utilize pygmalion mythology. Except maybe S1m0ne, since everyone seems to detest that one. Still, it's definitely an interesting concept to play around with.

Stay Puft
04-06-2009, 04:26 AM
Also, the main character is being played by Arata, the dude from After Life and Distance.

EyesWideOpen
04-06-2009, 04:36 AM
She looks almost exactly like Dorothy from the Big O anime series in that picture.

Cult
04-06-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm in. Thanks for the heads up! Is there an English translation of the title? All of his films get released in North America, so I imagine there will be eventually.

Raiders
04-06-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm still waiting for a release of Still Walking.

Sycophant
04-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Apparently, "ningyo" means "doll," though I can't find a translation for "Kuki." It appears it might just be a name.

Also, just ordered Still Walking on Japanese DVD along with Kitano's Achilles & the Tortoise.

Cult
04-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Apparently, "ningyo" means "doll," though I can't find a translation for "Kuki." It appears it might just be a name.
I've found that it means "stem" or "air" (which would technically be 'kuuki'). In other words, who the hell knows. Neither of those would work in the context of it being about a sex doll.

ledfloyd
04-11-2009, 09:33 AM
I'm still waiting for a release of Still Walking.
it's soo good.

Cult
04-11-2009, 08:25 PM
I've found that it means "stem" or "air" (which would technically be 'kuuki'). In other words, who the hell knows. Neither of those would work in the context of it being about a sex doll.
Wait, I guess "air doll" does makes sense, considering it's a blow-up doll. D'oh.