PDA

View Full Version : Hell's Kitchen

Spun Lepton
04-02-2009, 03:37 AM
Anybody else watch this? I find it a never-ending source of entertainment, even when Chef Ramsay is only pretending to be outraged.

Any guess who's going to be the winner of this new season? Had Ji not been injured, I would've guessed her. With her gone, it's kind of a toss-up for me. Paula and Giovanni are probably the two I'd gamble on.

Seth was just downright stupid and disgusting. Wiping down your workspace with your sweat towel? :frustrated: Good riddance.

Lacey's departure was a long time coming.

Kurosawa Fan
04-02-2009, 03:45 PM
My wife and I love this show. Last year was a disappointing winner,

I was really pulling for Petroza because, I mean, c'mon, Christina was a frickin culinary student. Their skills were about even too, though admittedly she probably held a small edge. But it meant more to Petroza, being much older and not in a position to have the success that Christina was bound to have.

but this year is shaping up nicely.

We were both happy to see Seth and Lacey go (I can't believe Lacey lasted so long) as well as the peppy mom who runs a cooking class. I think it's a three person race at this point, with Paula, Giovanni, and Danny obviously separating themselves from everyone else. Danny doesn't get much recognition, but he almost never screws up. He's the quiet killer this year.

Even though the drama is manufactured a bit on Gordon's side of things, it's still a blast to watch every week. Glad to see another fan.

Benny Profane
04-02-2009, 04:10 PM
I fucking love this show. It's not even a guilty pleasure. It's just a pleasure.

I think it's between Gio and Danny this year.

Benny Profane
04-02-2009, 04:18 PM
So the winners of each season become executive chefs in name only, right? Does anyone out there believe that they are anything but glorified line cooks at whatever restaurant they're working at?

Kurosawa Fan
04-02-2009, 04:43 PM
So the winners of each season become executive chefs in name only, right? Does anyone out there believe that they are anything but glorified line cooks at whatever restaurant they're working at?

Absolutely. They'll get the paycheck, work in the kitchen for that year, and then either be relegated to the line after that or be let go. But either way, the exposure and experience alone will get you a job in a reputable kitchen after that year is up if you're not still working for Gordon Ramsey.

Spun Lepton
04-02-2009, 10:56 PM
I think it's a three person race at this point, with Paula, Giovanni, and Danny obviously separating themselves from everyone else. Danny doesn't get much recognition, but he almost never screws up. He's the quiet killer this year.

Hmmm, good point.

Now that you mention it, Danny isn't getting a lot of screentime. That seems a little suspect, doesn't it? :)

Yeah, I was rooting for Petrozza last season. Still, coming in second place can not be a bad thing. That's some serious exposure -- it probably helped his career quite a bit. Or, at least, I hope it did.

I got sucked into Hell's Kitchen after watching the BBC version of Kitchen Nightmares. Ramsay is quite the character, the definition of a brilliant bastard. The FOX version is okay, but it has a lot more manufactured drama than the BBC version. I was happy to hear he was making more for the BBC.

Kurosawa Fan
04-03-2009, 01:03 AM
Hmmm, good point.

Now that you mention it, Danny isn't getting a lot of screentime. That seems a little suspect, doesn't it? :)

Yeah, I was rooting for Petrozza last season. Still, coming in second place can not be a bad thing. That's some serious exposure -- it probably helped his career quite a bit. Or, at least, I hope it did.

I got sucked into Hell's Kitchen after watching the BBC version of Kitchen Nightmares. Ramsay is quite the character, the definition of a brilliant bastard. The FOX version is okay, but it has a lot more manufactured drama than the BBC version. I was happy to hear he was making more for the BBC.

I enjoy Kitchen Nightmares at times, but it seems a lot more staged. Some of his reactions to the food being cooked is kind of absurd, like his exaggerated "vomiting". Plus, each episode tends to feel the same. I watch it occasionally, but it's nothing I go out of my way to see. But I also was introduced to Ramsey through the BBC version, which is definitely superior in that it's much more tame, or toned down I guess.

Benny Profane
04-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Nice curveball last night with Carol going home. She was extremely annoying and worthless.

Kurosawa Fan
04-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Nice curveball last night with Carol going home. She was extremely annoying and worthless.

She and her arch-nemesis Andrea both. In fact, now that Carol is gone, I'm looking forward to Andrea and Ben joining her. The show will be far less annoying at that point.

Spun Lepton
04-04-2009, 03:15 AM
People on Hulu are on the same page as us.

People are posting Danny, Paula and Gio are the three that are going to make it to the final three. After this week's, I'm convinced that you're right, KF. I think Danny's going to take it all.

I predict Ben will leave next week.

Spun Lepton
04-11-2009, 03:42 AM
:eek:

Did not see that coming.

Kurosawa Fan
04-11-2009, 11:49 AM
:eek:

Did not see that coming.

That's the one thing I don't like about this show. You can tell at times that Gordon doesn't get rid of the worst chef up for elimination, but rather keeps certain people around longer to add to the drama. It happened earlier this season with Lacey surviving a cut in favor of someone who was far more deserving to stick around. I mean, unless there's a bunch of footage that got cut, which is possible I suppose, he made the wrong pick this week.

There's just no way that Gio deserved to get cut more than Andrea. They both had shit days, but this was Andrea's third or fourth terrible service throughout the season. You can tell though that Gordon already knows it's between Paula and Danny, so I guess in the end it doesn't matter.

Spun Lepton
04-28-2009, 08:59 PM
That's the one thing I don't like about this show. You can tell at times that Gordon doesn't get rid of the worst chef up for elimination, but rather keeps certain people around longer to add to the drama. It happened earlier this season with Lacey surviving a cut in favor of someone who was far more deserving to stick around. I mean, unless there's a bunch of footage that got cut, which is possible I suppose, he made the wrong pick this week.

Well, it is reality television, and I'm sure the producers think the show would be much more boring if he simply dumped all the dumbasses earlier in the season. I don't think it's just Gordon making the decisions on who to cut, either. I bet he and the producers conference on it before the decision is actually made. This is par for the course for most of the competetive "reality" shows.

Anyway, last weeks episode -- I called it. And there's no doubt that Andrea is getting sent home this week. (My co-worker says she might actually pull something out of her butt at the last minute, but I strongly doubt it.)

Kurosawa Fan
04-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Well, it is reality television, and I'm sure the producers think the show would be much more boring if he simply dumped all the dumbasses earlier in the season. I don't think it's just Gordon making the decisions on who to cut, either. I bet he and the producers conference on it before the decision is actually made. This is par for the course for most of the competetive "reality" shows.

That I understand, but the dumbasses can stay much longer than they should on this show because of the two team format. There are plenty. Lacey was around about 6 weeks longer than she should have been because her team was winning and she was hiding on easy stations. Heck, Ben was a dumbass and look how long he stuck around. Giovanni had real talent. I guess it bothers me when they boot someone who could compete up to the final 3 or 4 instead of someone who is obviously much less skilled. Toward the end, I don't care about the personalities as much anymore, I just like seeing the pressure of the kitchen and trying to figure out who's coming out on top, so those kind of theatrics can be left aside.

Spun Lepton
04-28-2009, 10:39 PM
That I understand, but the dumbasses can stay much longer than they should on this show because of the two team format. There are plenty. Lacey was around about 6 weeks longer than she should have been because her team was winning and she was hiding on easy stations. Heck, Ben was a dumbass and look how long he stuck around. Giovanni had real talent. I guess it bothers me when they boot someone who could compete up to the final 3 or 4 instead of someone who is obviously much less skilled. Toward the end, I don't care about the personalities as much anymore, I just like seeing the pressure of the kitchen and trying to figure out who's coming out on top, so those kind of theatrics can be left aside.

Yeah, the theatrics of American television almost destroyed Kitchen Nightmares for me. The BBC one is so much more honest, and you can tell. You can actually learn stuff from it and you get the idea that Ramsay isn't just a tempermental bastard, he actually knows his shit and wants to teach it to people ... in his own bastard-y way. The FOX version is all flash and bang, and I've read accounts that the producers manufactuered fake drama (through editing) to "keep the show interesting."

Winston*
04-28-2009, 10:44 PM
Yeah, the theatrics of American television almost destroyed Kitchen Nightmares for me. The BBC one is so much more honest, and you can tell. You can actually learn stuff from it and you get the idea that Ramsay isn't just a tempermental bastard, he actually knows his shit and wants to teach it to people ... in his own bastard-y way. The FOX version is all flash and bang, and I've read accounts that the producers manufactuered fake drama (through editing) to "keep the show interesting."

Yeah the American version is unwatchable. I like the British version pretty well, the only good television thing Gordon Ramsey's ever been in IMO.

Spun Lepton
04-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Yeah the American version is unwatchable. I like the British version pretty well, the only good television thing Gordon Ramsey's ever been in IMO.

I wouldn't go that far. There's still aspects to Ramsay's personality that make it fun to watch. Have you see Ramsay's The F Word on BBC? You may like that, it's a pretty interesting mix of a cooking show and a talk show.

Winston*
04-28-2009, 10:58 PM
I wouldn't go that far. There's still aspects to Ramsay's personality that make it fun to watch. Have you see Ramsay's The F Word on BBC? You may like that, it's a pretty interesting mix of a cooking show and a talk show.

Yeah, I saw an episode of it and thought it was one of the most awkwardly put together shows I've ever seen.

Spun Lepton
04-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I saw an episode of it and thought it was one of the most awkwardly put together shows I've ever seen.

:lol:

No argument there.

Spun Lepton
05-02-2009, 03:48 AM
Well, I can't say that I'm surprised.

Which of the final two will take it?

Three weeks ago I said Danny, but after seeing Paula tear shit up on the pass ... I'm not so sure any more. Last year, my gut said one person, but my brain said the other. My gut was correct. This year, my gut says Danny. We'll see.

Kurosawa Fan
05-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Winners thus far:

Season One: Michael Wray
Season Two: Heather West
Season Three: Rock Harper
Season Four: Christina Machamer

Just food for thought. Pun definitely intended. I put my money on Danny long ago (not literally), so I'm sticking with him.

Spun Lepton
05-16-2009, 02:43 AM
Well, I can't say I was surprised at the winner. Always listen to your gut, kids. :P

Benny Profane
05-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Since I live an hour away from the Borgata, and my family has a shore house that is only about 20 minutes away, I will probably go to this restaurant at some point. I've never been to a Gordon Ramsay establishment and my curiosity has the better of me. I'll let you know my review, as well as if I catch a Danny sighting.

Spun Lepton
05-20-2009, 03:26 AM
Since I live an hour away from the Borgata, and my family has a shore house that is only about 20 minutes away, I will probably go to this restaurant at some point. I've never been to a Gordon Ramsay establishment and my curiosity has the better of me. I'll let you know my review, as well as if I catch a Danny sighting.

You need to ask him, "Velvet Hammer? Seriously, dude?"

Kurosawa Fan
05-20-2009, 03:26 AM
You need to ask him, "Velvet Hammer? Seriously, dude?"

Or, "Fish on the walls? Really? Really?"

Kurosawa Fan
07-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Did anyone else watch the season premiere last night? Who here thinks Joseph is a plant? I swear the guy is an actor playing a part. No one is that delusional, right?

Early favorites: Kevin and Suzanne.

Spun Lepton
07-23-2009, 01:59 AM
Did anyone else watch the season premiere last night? Who here thinks Joseph is a plant? I swear the guy is an actor playing a part. No one is that delusional, right?

I'm about to watch the second half right now. Comments forthcoming.

Spun Lepton
07-23-2009, 02:45 AM
Wow, there are a lot of idiots this season.

"It wasn't burnt! You saw it, it was only burnt on the bottom!"

Uhhmmm ...

Spun Lepton
07-23-2009, 02:57 AM

I don't have their names down just yet. Except for Tek. Hawt.

(*ahem*) I digress.

As for Joseph being a plant, well ... Ramsay's reactions seemed pretty genuine, and I don't think he's that great of an actor himself. There are a few moments in Kitchen Nightmares that seem manufactured because Ramsay couldn't completely wipe the grin off his face.

Maybe ... but, I kind of doubt it. Joseph seems like a genuine knucklehead to me.

Spun Lepton
07-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Funny ... after digesting the first two shows, now I'm also suspecting a little bit of melodrama manipulation on the show. Ramsay certainly isn't above manufacturing fake melodrama, since he does it on FOX's Kitchen Nightmares.

Seemed a little unlike J.P. to go off on hickboy, but then again, I don't really know the man, so who's to say?

Spun Lepton
07-30-2009, 03:18 AM
To Be Continued ...

... because what actually happens is pretty much what you're expecting.

In the middle of the new episode right now.

Spun Lepton
07-30-2009, 03:46 AM
Keeping my eye on...

Men's team: Robert and Kevin
Women's team: Suzanne and Ariel

Kurosawa Fan
07-30-2009, 04:55 AM
Keeping my eye on...

Men's team: Robert and Kevin
Women's team: Suzanne and Ariel

Kevin, Suzanne and Ariel seem like locks to make it to the top five. Not so sure about Robert. Even though I can't stand the fucking guy, Van seems like he knows his shit too. Wouldn't be surprised to see him around late in the game. Right now, I think it'll be Kevin and Suzanne in the final.

Spun Lepton
07-30-2009, 06:31 AM
Kevin, Suzanne and Ariel seem like locks to make it to the top five. Not so sure about Robert. Even though I can't stand the fucking guy, Van seems like he knows his shit too. Wouldn't be surprised to see him around late in the game. Right now, I think it'll be Kevin and Suzanne in the final.

What are the chances of a hick winning two years in a row?! Kevin has an injury! He might have to bow out! Dave's arm is fractured! JP goes off on Van for no discernable reason! Fire! Fire! Fire -- oh, haha, no sorry, just kidding!! "I ain't no bitch!" TO BE CONTINUED!!

Seems awfully dramatic, this season. I wonder if the whole thing was staged for Robert's benefit. :|

Benny Profane
08-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Robert is super annoying. "I almost died because of this show!"

No, you almost died because you are about 300 pounds overweight.

number8
08-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Gordon Ramsey can scream, yell and curse as much as he wants. At the end of the day, he's still doing a woman's job.

Kurosawa Fan
08-13-2009, 12:47 PM
There has never been anyone on this show whose voice is more grating than Tennille. She gets constant "confessional" camera time, and I have to mute the TV until she's gone. Holy crap is that woman annoying.

Spun Lepton
08-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Starting to have doubts about Suzanne.

Scar
08-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Gordon Ramsey can scream, yell and curse as much as he wants. At the end of the day, he's still doing a woman's job.

:|

Spun Lepton
08-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Ramsay losing his shit and laughing at one of the challenge dishes was easily the high point of last weeks episode. I rewound it a couple times, just because his reaction was too funny. :lol:

Benny Profane
08-27-2009, 03:11 PM
What do you do after experiencing dizziness, nausea, and a near heart-attack? Eat a frozen cheeseburger, of course.

Thank science he kicked that d-bag off the show.

Kurosawa Fan
08-27-2009, 03:14 PM
What do you do after experiencing dizziness, nausea, and a near heart-attack? Eat a frozen cheeseburger, of course.

Thank science he kicked that d-bag off the show.

Agreed. I love how he talked about getting his health in order now that he's off the show. My wife and I were both happy to see him go.

Benny Profane
09-09-2009, 01:17 PM
More trimming the fat last night. I'd be very surprised if it's not a Kevin/Ariel final. They are both on point. Van is strong but too scattered. Somebody please cut Tenille's tongue out.

Amnesiac
09-11-2009, 05:22 AM
I don't watch this show, but this is amazing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzBnFutegJE).

Kurosawa Fan
09-11-2009, 12:45 PM
More trimming the fat last night. I'd be very surprised if it's not a Kevin/Ariel final. They are both on point. Van is strong but too scattered. Somebody please cut Tenille's tongue out.

I think Dave is a dark horse as well. In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised by any of the guys left making the final. For the girls I think Ariel has it wrapped up.

Spun Lepton
09-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Final two will probably be Kevin and Ariel.

Spun Lepton
09-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Is it on haitus again? Hulu hasn't updated a new episode this week.

Kurosawa Fan
09-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Is it on haitus again? Hulu hasn't updated a new episode this week.

One of Fox's reality shows had a two hour finale last week, so they were forced to take a week off.

Spun Lepton
09-18-2009, 09:31 PM
I love how actual fans of the show totally and actively glossed over this and don't give a shit while I find myself replaying it for it's sheer hilarity.

I watched it a few times over when it first happened. There was some debate about whether it was staged.

Scar
09-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Did that guy have any other controversial moments on the show? Or was he not on it long enough?

Not really, just a jarhead wound up waaaay too tight.

Spun Lepton
09-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Did that guy have any other controversial moments on the show? Or was he not on it long enough?

What you saw happened after two episodes, he didn't last long at all.

Dukefrukem
09-23-2009, 01:24 PM
so my cable got shot off, so i can't watch the sox or sportscenter. I watched this show for the first time in my life last night...

interesting concept...

Kurosawa Fan
09-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Gotta say, I'm getting sick of melodramatic Ramsey this season. It's pretty tiresome.

Benny Profane
09-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Gotta say, I'm getting sick of melodramatic Ramsey this season. It's pretty tiresome.

You're pretty tiresome!

Dukefrukem
09-24-2009, 04:17 PM

It's the same shtick. I find it hard to believe these chefs dont know how to cook the simplest of food. And each chef is so nervous and running around, sure they'll leave something on a burner for longer than they're supposed to. :rolleyes:

Kurosawa Fan
09-24-2009, 07:04 PM
You're pretty tiresome!

Seriously though, walking out on the restaurant? And now the preview for next week seems like his reaction is even worse. I don't mind the yelling when someone fucks up, but the overreactions are getting silly.

Spun Lepton
09-24-2009, 10:41 PM
It's the same shtick. I find it hard to believe these chefs dont know how to cook the simplest of food.

It's not just the ability to cook a meal. It's the ability to cook to Ramsay's standards AND cook to his standards consistently AND cook under a lot of pressure. Ramsay's standards are ridiculously high, too.

Spun Lepton
09-24-2009, 10:42 PM
Seriously though, walking out on the restaurant? And now the preview for next week seems like his reaction is even worse. I don't mind the yelling when someone fucks up, but the overreactions are getting silly.

Yeah, him walking out was more like him "throwing a wrench" into things just to mess with the cooks than a real temper tantrum. It's an expected part of the contest.

Scar
09-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Hell's Kitchen is alright, but I definately prefer the F Word or the British Kitchen Nightmares.

I like it when Gordon is relatively calm until he has to get bitchy. Typically, the last few episodes of Hell's Kitchen the real Gordon is around, and not the Americanized Version.

Spun Lepton
09-25-2009, 01:28 AM
Hell's Kitchen is alright, but I definately prefer the F Word or the British Kitchen Nightmares.

I like it when Gordon is relatively calm until he has to get bitchy. Typically, the last few episodes of Hell's Kitchen the real Gordon is around, and not the Americanized Version.

I can't say I've overly enjoyed The F Word. It's okay.

The British Kitchen Nightmares is the best thing Ramsay's done on television.

Scar
09-25-2009, 01:51 AM
I can't say I've overly enjoyed The F Word. It's okay.

The British Kitchen Nightmares is the best thing Ramsay's done on television.

Well, Jess sure as shit enjoys the F Word intro....

Dukefrukem
09-25-2009, 04:25 PM
It's not just the ability to cook a meal. It's the ability to cook to Ramsay's standards AND cook to his standards consistently AND cook under a lot of pressure. Ramsay's standards are ridiculously high, too.

Yeah but he claimed the Halibut was RAW inside.... Even I know how to cook Halibut. :rolleyes:

Kurosawa Fan
09-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah but he claimed the Halibut was RAW inside.... Even I know how to cook Halibut. :rolleyes:

It's a lot more complex than "know how to cook halibut". There's so much timing involved. The chefs can't just sit in front of one pan and cook it at a leisurely pace. They have to time it with the garnishes so that both are ready at the same time, so if the pan isn't hot enough or too hot, it screws everything up. There are no heating lamps in Hell's Kitchen, so if one person is ready too soon or too late, the other food starts to get cold. Ramsey won't send out even lukewarm food. Not only that, but most of the time the chefs are cooking 3-4 things at a time and trying to keep track of all of them. Two halibut, one sea bass, one lamb, one salmon. That's four fish orders right there that one person has to keep track of, and I think too often the show doesn't do a good enough job showing how complicated that can be, in favor of editing the footage to make the chefs look a bit stupid instead.

Dukefrukem
09-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Two halibut, one sea bass, one lamb, one salmon. That's four fish orders right there that one person has to keep track of, and I think too often the show doesn't do a good enough job showing how complicated that can be, in favor of editing the footage to make the chefs look a bit stupid instead.

Maybe that's it. I just figure this kind of work should already be well established.

This is making me hungry too.

Kurosawa Fan
09-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Maybe that's it. I just figure this kind of work should already be well established.

This is making me hungry too.

:lol:

The show always makes my wife and I hungry. And we watch it late at night. Not a good combo.

Spun Lepton
10-10-2009, 11:35 PM
I will be surprised if Dave actually wins this, but ... you know, he's got a real fighting spirit, so who knows?

Benny Profane
10-11-2009, 04:28 PM
I will be surprised if Dave actually wins this, but ... you know, he's got a real fighting spirit, so who knows?

I say he won't just because in the individual challenges his dishes never win, while Kevin and Ariel have some victories under their belts, and the purpose of the show is to find the best chef, not the best line cook. His hurt wrist shouldn't affect his dishes, conceptually.

Kurosawa Fan
10-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Yeah, this thing is Kevin's to lose.

Spun Lepton
10-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Well, now.

Thoughts?

Kurosawa Fan
10-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Well, now.

Thoughts?

Extremely surprised and pleased.

Spun Lepton
10-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Extremely surprised and pleased.

Kevin probably would have won if he had a better team. Whats-her-name dragged him down but hard.

Not that he's going to be hurting for work after the show. I'm sure he'll get tons and tons of offers. Hell, I bet everybody in the final five gets job offers out the wazzoo.

Kurosawa Fan
10-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Kevin probably would have won if he had a better team. Whats-her-name dragged him down but hard.

Not that he's going to be hurting for work after the show. I'm sure he'll get tons and tons of offers. Hell, I bet everybody in the final five gets job offers out the wazzoo.

I found it a bit odd that Tenille didn't show up for the finale. That's a first since I've been watching.

As for the results,

I think Ramsey was most impressed by Dave's unwillingness to quit in the face of some pretty intense adversity. Not only that, but his solo dishes started to stand out at the end and win challenges, and his work at the pass was stronger than Kevin, mostly because Ariel really fucked Kevin over.

Spun Lepton
10-19-2009, 11:22 PM
I found it a bit odd that Tenille didn't show up for the finale. That's a first since I've been watching.

As for the results,

I think Ramsey was most impressed by Dave's unwillingness to quit in the face of some pretty intense adversity. Not only that, but his solo dishes started to stand out at the end and win challenges, and his work at the pass was stronger than Kevin, mostly because Ariel really fucked Kevin over.

I'll have to watch the final episode again, I think. I had it on while I was working on something else and may have missed a few bits.