PDA

View Full Version : The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

number8
03-31-2009, 05:26 AM
Just when I thought HBO is losing it, they give me something this shockingly unique.

Anyone else saw the pilot? I really liked it. It was extremely original, it was funny, it was very well-acted, the location looked fantastic, and the dialogue is wonderfully flavored. Plus, it has Idris Elba, so that's always a plus.

It was only later that I found out it was directed, co-written and produced by Anthony Minghella. Huh.

[ETM]
03-31-2009, 03:25 PM
I've only heard about this from my girlfriend who is a fan of the source material, and has hooked her family on the books. It's truly refreshing.

Sycophant
03-31-2009, 03:59 PM
I've heard a lot of very good things about the books. I'll make a point of checking this out.

Mara
03-31-2009, 04:26 PM
It was only later that I found out it was directed, co-written and produced by Anthony Minghella. Huh.

He died a year ago. It's been sitting around that long?

number8
03-31-2009, 05:10 PM
He died a year ago. It's been sitting around that long?

Yeah, Minghella shot the 2 hour pilot in 97 as a feature film, but then he decided it would be better as a TV show. So after the pilot was completed and Minghella died, they started making the series.

lovejuice
03-31-2009, 06:56 PM
personally i am not too hot on the book, though in a sense that it doesn't fit in with my expectation rather than its being terrible. in fact i think it's wonderful in an exotic, feministic, laid-back way. not exactly a "detective material."

mccall seems to write a hundred books already during these last four to five years, so if you like his style, the good news are you will have more than enough to read.