PDA

View Full Version : Independent Spirit Awards 2007

Ezee E
11-27-2007, 11:10 PM
2008 SPIRIT AWARD NOMINATIONS by category
BEST FEATURE (Award given to the Producer)

* Executive Producers are not listed.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Producers: Kathleen Kennedy, Jon Kilik

I'm Not There
Producers: Christine Vachon, John Sloss, John Goldwyn, James D. Stern

Juno
Producers: Lianne Halfon, John Malkovich, Mason Novick, Russell Smith

A Mighty Heart
Producers: Dede Gardner, Andrew Eaton, Brad Pitt

Paranoid Park
Producers: Neil Kopp, David Cress
BEST DIRECTOR

Todd Haynes
I'm Not There

Tamara Jenkins
The Savages

Jason Reitman
Juno

Julian Schnabel

Gus Van Sant
Paranoid Park

BEST FIRST FEATURE (Award given to the director and producer)

2 Days in Paris
Director: Julie Delpy
Producers: Julie Delpy, Christophe Mazodier, Thierry Potok

Great World of Sound
Director: Craig Zobel
Producers: Melissa Palmer, David Gordon Green, Richard Wright, Craig Zobel

The Lookout
Director: Scott Frank
Producers: Roger Birnbaum, Gary Barber, Laurence Mark, Walter Parkes

Rocket Science
Director: Jeffrey Blitz
Producers: Effie T. Brown, Sean Welch

Vanaja
Director: Rajnesh Domalpalli
Producer: Latha R. Domalapalli
JOHN CASSAVETES AWARD (Given to the best feature made for under $500,000; award given to the writer, director, and producer)

* Executive Producers are not listed.

August Evening
Writer/Directpr: Chris Eska
Producers: Connie Hill, Jason Wehling

Owl and the Sparrow
Writer/Director: Stephane Gauger
Producers: Nguyen Van Quan, Doan Nhat Nam, Stephane Gauger

The Pool
Director: Chris Smith
Producer: Kate Noble
Writer: Chris Smith & Randy Russell

Quiet City
Director: Aaron Katz
Producers: Brendan McFadden, Ben Stambler
Writers: Aaron Katz, Erin Fisher, Cris Lankenau

Shotgun Stories
Writer/Director: Jeff Nichols
Producers: David Gordon Green, Lisa Muskat, Jeff Nichols
BEST SCREENPLAY

Ronald Harwood

Tamara Jenkins
The Savages

Fred Parnes & Andrew Wagner
Starting Out in the Evening

Adrienne Shelly
Waitress

Mike White
Year of the Dog
BEST FIRST SCREENPLAY

Jeffrey Blitz
Rocket Science

Zoe Cassavetes
Broken English

Diablo Cody
Juno

Kelly Masterson
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

John Orloff
A Mighty Heart
BEST FEMALE LEAD

Angelina Jolie
A Mighty Heart

Sienna Miller
Interview

Ellen Page
Juno

Parker Posey
Broken English

Tang Wei
Lust, Caution
BEST MALE LEAD

Pedro Castaneda
August Evening

Don Cheadle
Talk To Me

Philip Seymour Hoffman
The Savages

Frank Langella
Starting Out in the Evening

Tony Leung
Lust, Caution
BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE

Cate Blanchett
I'm Not There

Anna Kendrick
Rocket Science

Jennifer Jason Leigh
Margot at the Wedding

Tamara Podemski
Four Sheets to the Wind

Marisa Tomei
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
BEST SUPPORTING MALE

Chiwetel Ejiofor
Talk To Me

Marcus Carl Franklin
I'm Not There

Kene Holliday
Great World of Sound

Irrfan Khan
The Namesake

Steve Zahn
Rescue Dawn
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Mott Hupfel
The Savages

Janusz Kaminski

Milton Kam
Vanaja

Mihai Malaimare, Jr.
Youth Without Youth

Rodrigo Prieto
Lust, Caution
BEST DOCUMENTARY (Award given to the director)

Crazy Love
Director: Dan Klores

Lake of Fire
Director: Tony Kaye

Manufactured Landscapes
Director: Jennifer Baichwal

The Monastery
Director: Pernille Rose Grønkjær

The Prisoner or: How I Planned to Kill Tony Blair
Directors: Petra Epperlein & Michael Tucker
BEST FOREIGN FILM (Award given to the director)

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Director: Cristian Mungiu
(Romania)

The Band's Visit
Director: Eran Kolirin
(Israel)

Lady Chatterley
Director: Pascale Ferran
(France)

Once
Director: John Carney
(Ireland)

Persepolis
Directors: Vincent Paronnaud & Marjane Satrapi
(France)
ROBERT ALTMAN AWARD
(Given to one film's director, casting director and its ensemble cast)

I'm Not There
Director: Todd Haynes
Casting Director: Laura Rosenthal
Ensemble Cast: Cate Blanchett, Christian Bale, Richard Gere, Heath Ledger, Ben Whishaw, Marcus Carl Franklin, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Bruce Greenwood

Ezee E
11-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Should be a good year for the ISA's for once as there isn't a clear frontrunner.

I'll bet I'm Not There wins it.

Watashi
11-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Should be a good year for the ISA's for once as there isn't a clear frontrunner.

I'll bet I'm Not There wins it.

I don't even have to see it to know Juno will be the indie darling this winter.

Why isn't The Darjeeling Limited nominated for anything?

Ezee E
11-27-2007, 11:21 PM
I don't even have to see it to know Juno will be the indie darling this winter.

Why isn't The Darjeeling Limited nominated for anything?
Cause it blows ass.

I'm Not There is already getting some special recognition, and I can see it being well-liked in the community, and finally breaking the "Indie" movie that gets nominated for the Oscar.

Although The Diving Bell and the Butterfly will get a few wins too.

I just wonder why Zahn gets nominated and not Bale.

Winston*
11-27-2007, 11:28 PM
I just wonder why Zahn gets nominated and not Bale.

Because he gave a better performance?

Ezee E
11-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Don't be silly.

Sycophant
11-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Cause it blows ass. :|

I'm Not There is already getting some special recognition, and I can see it being well-liked in the community, and finally breaking the "Indie" movie that gets nominated for the Oscar.
Little Miss Sunshine.

Boner M
11-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Haven't seen any of the BP noms, but this seems mostly decent. Pleased by the Steve Zahn and Lady Chatterley recognition.

Pissed that I missed Shotgun Stories when it played at the Sydney IFF.

Winston*
11-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Oh, and Paranoid Park sucks.

Spinal
11-28-2007, 12:10 AM

Totally.

Jeez, it's way too early for me to care about awards. Can't believe they announced these already.

ledfloyd
11-28-2007, 12:29 AM
i like these. i gotta see the savages. the ISAs are always better than the oscars.

Briare
11-28-2007, 06:55 AM
I liked Paranoid Park. A Mighty Heart was okay. Rescue Dawn was a bit dry, but Zahn was the highlight. Seeing BtDKYD on friday. The rest haven't shown up here yet. Always like the Indie Spirit awards.

Apparently there's a budget restriction on those eligable for nomination, which might explain why The Darjeeling Limited wasn't nominated and would also explain the absense of Into the Wild.

Derek
11-28-2007, 07:52 AM
Totally.

Zahn was clearly the best performance in the film, but I do wander if he looked better next to the atrocity that was Jeremy Davies.

Also glad to see Paranoid Park getting so much love, but the fawning over Juno/Ellen Page is a kinda sad.

balmakboor
11-28-2007, 01:55 PM

Are you suggesting it will win the Best Picture Oscar? That would be cool.

Duncan
11-28-2007, 02:45 PM
I can't imagine I'm Not There winning the BP Oscar. A nomination, sure, but there's bound to be something more conventional people can agree on.

Ezee E
11-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Are you suggesting it will win the Best Picture Oscar? That would be cool.
Nah. It'll be like the previous Haynes movie that won Best Picture at the ISA.

I don't think a ISA Best Picture winner has ever won Best Picture at the Oscars.

balmakboor
11-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Nah. It'll be like the previous Haynes movie that won Best Picture at the ISA.

I don't think a ISA Best Picture winner has ever won Best Picture at the Oscars.

Oh, I was just thrown by "and finally breaking the 'Indie' movie that gets nominated for the Oscar." Plenty of Indie films have been nominated such as the before mentioned Little Miss Sunshine. I thought you meant it might break the mold of merely getting tossed a token nomination.

Ezee E
11-28-2007, 05:25 PM
I misworded it. For the last few years, every ISA winner has gone on to get an Oscar nomination, and also dominated the ISAs. This year will be a little different methinks, with no dominating movie, and the winner not getting nominated at the Oscars.

balmakboor
11-28-2007, 05:31 PM
I misworded it. For the last few years, every ISA winner has gone on to get an Oscar nomination, and also dominated the ISAs. This year will be a little different methinks, with no dominating movie, and the winner not getting nominated at the Oscars.

Got'cha.

I just know though that I'm going to love I'm Not There. I've loved (or at least liked very much) all of Haynes' prior films plus I'm possibly a bigger fan of Dylan than Haynes.

eternity
11-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Pretty predictable choices all around this year, I have a feeling Juno will probably take it home. Surprised Once was only nominated for Foreign and not the big salami.

Ezee E
11-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Pretty predictable choices all around this year, I have a feeling Juno will probably take it home. Surprised Once was only nominated for Foreign and not the big salami.
I think it was one of those movies that just got forgotten about since it came out in May.

Derek
11-28-2007, 10:52 PM
I don't think foreign films are eligible for the Best Feature award. Diving Bell was considered American, despite the cast and director, because of where it was funded.

Hugh_Grant
11-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Apparently there's a budget restriction on those eligable for nomination, which might explain why The Darjeeling Limited wasn't nominated and would also explain the absense of Into the Wild.
Into the Wild did not qualify because its budget was over the maximum 15 million. It did, however, pick up the top prize at the Gotham Awards.

Yay, awards season has started. :pritch:

balmakboor
11-29-2007, 08:15 PM
The line is so blurry now between what is and what isn't an "indie" film that it seems silly to have a maximum budget amount. I consider, for example, the Star Wars PT and the LOTR films to be very expensive indie films.

Winston*
11-29-2007, 08:18 PM
The line is so blurry now between what is and what isn't an "indie" film that it seems silly to have a maximum budget amount. I consider, for example, the Star Wars PT and the LOTR films to be very expensive indie films.
Prequel trilogy I can understand, but how are the LOTR films indie?

balmakboor
11-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Prequel trilogy I can understand, but how are the LOTR films indie?

In the indie spirit. A guy creating his vision with little or no interference. It is independent in every sense as the Star Wars PT except Jackson didn't put up his own money.

Briare
11-29-2007, 11:03 PM
Into the Wild did not qualify because its budget was over the maximum 15 million. It did, however, pick up the top prize at the Gotham Awards.

Yay, awards season has started. :pritch:

As I said...

eternity
11-30-2007, 03:58 AM
The SW prequels are hardly indie films. Fox almost shut down production on the first one because of the production hells.

Kurosawa Fan
11-30-2007, 11:58 AM
The SW prequels are hardly indie films. Fox almost shut down production on the first one because of the production hells.

I don't believe this. Not for a second. That film was a guaranteed cash cow. No way would they think of shutting it down.

NickGlass
11-30-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm pretty sure Juno has this in the bag, since it's the most accessible and will likely end up with the most bank.

I've tried to prepare myself, but I'm not ready to watch that film skate through award season on its fabricated charm and annoying "oh isn't she so adorably sharp and sarcastic" performance by Ellen Page. The next person who calls the film (and its overwrought screenplay) authentic because the character of Juno is able to punctuate a ten-dollar word-filled sentence with "Dude" is going to drive me off the cliff.

Hold me.

Mal
12-01-2007, 12:59 AM
I'm pretty sure Juno has this in the bag, since it's the most accessible and will likely end up with the most bank.

I've tried to prepare myself, but I'm not ready to watch that film skate through award season on its fabricated charm and annoying "oh isn't she so adorably sharp and sarcastic" performance by Ellen Page. The next person who calls the film (and its overwrought screenplay) authentic because the character of Juno is able to punctuate a ten-dollar word-filled sentence with "Dude" is going to drive me off the cliff.

Hold me.
Rep, Sir.

eternity
12-01-2007, 01:12 AM
I'm totally going to love Juno.

Derek
12-01-2007, 01:25 AM
I'm totally going to love Juno.

If you haven't grown weary of the predictable indie quirkiness schtick or are impressed by what a rockin' chick Ellen Page is for knowing about The Stooges (and making sure you know it by mentioning them about 10 times), you probably will.

Boner M
12-01-2007, 01:28 AM
Eternity only loves movies about teenagers. Only.

kamran
12-01-2007, 01:42 AM

I truly fear you may be right, since Todd Haynes' last film already swept the ISAs and I doubt A Mighty Heart, Diving Bell or Paranoid Park have many passionate supporters. Juno seems to be universally loved, for some bizarre reason, and will likely appeal to the same audience that rallied behind LMS last year.

I don't think I'll be able to stomach the insufferable Ellen Page walk across the stage to pick up her trophy... not when Tang Wei is so much more deserving.

Hopefully Schnabel or Haynes will be able to pull off an upset in the directing category.

EDIT: I mistakenly thought that The Savages received a Best Picture nomination when it was actually A Mighty Heart.

eternity
12-01-2007, 03:40 AM
Eternity only loves movies about teenagers. Only.Teen films are to me as blaxploitation flicks are to Juss at Icine.

Boner M
12-01-2007, 04:42 AM
Teen films are to me as blaxploitation flicks are to Juss at Icine.
As long as you come to terms with your obsession, it's all good. ;)