PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Watashi
11-26-2007, 11:27 PM
Pictures have finally surfaced online:

You can check out what looks to be Rorschach here (http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/WMD-22648_select.jpg).

Henry Gale
11-27-2007, 12:02 AM
Wow, I definately like the look of that.

Any more pics?

megladon8
11-27-2007, 12:04 AM
It definitely seems to have a good look to it.

Sycophant
11-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Hmmm... I haven't declared on this incarnation of the site how I feel about this project.

The book is unfilmable. This project is doomed.

I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong, you know. Of course, that won't happen, because I am right.

It does look nice and expensive, though.

Sven
11-27-2007, 01:05 AM
I don't think it's unfilmable so much as it is doomed to be inferior to the book. I mean, as a straightforward plot translation, an adaptation should be pretty simple.

Grouchy
11-27-2007, 02:55 AM
I don't think it's unfilmable so much as it is doomed to be inferior to the book. I mean, as a straightforward plot translation, an adaptation should be pretty simple.
Yeah, but plot for plot's sake is nothing. Watchmen is nothing without its retro-active storytelling and complicated assembling of plot lines in different scales. There's not enough room in a movie under 8 hours to make the adaptation it deserves. You could make a good film by simply aiming lower, of course. No doubt about that. In short, they should've done the miniseries.

That pic looks good, by the way.

megladon8
11-27-2007, 03:00 AM
More pics...

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/7907/watchmen2ia0oz3.th.jpg (http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=watchmen2ia0oz3.j pg)

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8679/watchmen3xe5yp0.th.jpg (http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=watchmen3xe5yp0.j pg)

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3767/watchmen4in3qe4.th.jpg (http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=watchmen4in3qe4.j pg)

Sven
11-27-2007, 03:05 AM
Yeah, but plot for plot's sake is nothing. Watchmen is nothing without its retro-active storytelling and complicated assembling of plot lines in different scales. There's not enough room in a movie under 8 hours to make the adaptation it deserves. You could make a good film by simply aiming lower, of course. No doubt about that. In short, they should've done the miniseries.

All this gets a big "of course" from me. I'm just retorting to the "unfilmable" adjective. But I think, more and more, I can see a film adaptation being successful. Tell me, what is it about Watchmen that could not translate into cinema?

Grouchy
11-27-2007, 03:21 AM
All this gets a big "of course" from me. I'm just retorting to the "unfilmable" adjective. But I think, more and more, I can see a film adaptation being successful. Tell me, what is it about Watchmen that could not translate into cinema?
Basically, everything annotated on this page (http://www.capnwacky.com/rj/watchmen/), which is one of many dedicated to the way in which Moore/Gibbons use the sequential art and the structure of a comic-book panel. In Issue 5, Fearful Symmetry, for example, the page layout is the same in the first and last page, in the second and the page before last, and progressively so until the end of the issue. It's a feat of storytelling, because the panels actually make dramatic sense beside the gimmick, and the structure mirrors the story and themes of the issue. In another issue, there's a pirate comic within the comic being read by a boy and it paralells the larger events occuring in the larger, umbrella fictional universe. Or the progressively faster way in which non-linear time jumps allow you to see a lifetime's story simultaneously, just as the protagonist of the issue, Dr. Manhattan, sees it.

I'd be hard-pressed to turn stuff like that into cinema. Basically, Watchmen is a masterpiece because it's a story that has been told perfectly in the medium that fits it best. Masterpieces should never be adapted or remade. It's pointless.

number8
11-27-2007, 03:34 AM
My favorite aspect of the Fearful Symmetry chapter is the awesome symmetrical panel of an egg being broken and Moloch's death. Foreshadowing at its utmost finest.

Grouchy
11-27-2007, 03:39 AM
My favorite aspect of the Fearful Symmetry chapter is the awesome symmetrical panel of an egg being broken and Moloch's death. Foreshadowing at its utmost finest.
I just looked that up in the trade. Fucking amazing. You can't do that with a movie.

Sven
11-27-2007, 03:48 AM
Without a copy of the book in front of me, I'm afraid those annotations are fairly useless as an explanation. But what you're telling me, basically, is that the reason it will not be a success is because of structure of the comic panels themselves?

Now, I'm in no way saying that I expect the movie to be great (I don't) or that the comic is not a masterpiece (it is). But I still am not sure what you can do with panel layout that you can't with the frame and editing of a moving picture. Editing and structure and composition are all composites of film, and are able to complement thematic issues very adeptly. There are examples of stories told within movies that mirror and comment upon their "umbrella world".

To me, what seems like the most untranslatable element is going to be Doctor Manhattan (the Mars stuff especially). There's no way the CG is going to be satisfying.

Grouchy
11-27-2007, 04:03 AM
But I still am not sure what you can do with panel layout that you can't with the frame and editing of a moving picture.

The egg thing that number8 just mentioned. At page 5, panel 4, there's an egg breaking in front of Moloch's terrified face. At page 24, panel 4, at the exact distance from the ending as the first panel was from the beginning, Moloch with the exact same expression and a bullet hole on his forehead. The whole issue is written with that symmetry in mind. Now, in a comic, you can look at both pages at the same time and see the paralell drawings. In a movie, there's no satisfactory way to watch two takes at a related running time at the same moment.

number8
11-27-2007, 04:04 AM
No, he's saying that the movie cannot have the awe of having the story told so magnificently using said panel structures, because a movie can only show one frame at a time.

The Dr. Manhattan will be the most unfilmable, yes, but not because of the CG. He sees all time simultaneously, as to him they are going on at the same time. On a comic page, this is translated succinctly as we can step back and look at five or six different periods in his life going on at once in a single page grid. How do you convey that in a film?

megladon8
11-27-2007, 04:09 AM
I think there are some pretty creative ways that these issues could be translated to film in an effective way which is just as awe-inspiring as the pages of the book.

It's just whether or not the creative team has the drive and freedom to do something totally different and "outside the box" with the film medium.

Sven
11-27-2007, 04:16 AM
The egg thing that number8 just mentioned. At page 5, panel 4, there's an egg breaking in front of Moloch's terrified face. At page 24, panel 4, at the exact distance from the ending as the first panel was from the beginning, Moloch with the exact same expression and a bullet hole on his forehead. The whole issue is written with that symmetry in mind. Now, in a comic, you can look at both pages at the same time and see the paralell drawings. In a movie, there's no satisfactory way to watch two takes at a related running time at the same moment.

What does that have to do with anything, though? Seems like a neat thing you can do with a drawing, but obviously, you can pull off the same sort of recognition-recall effect in a movie. I ask you, 8, the same question: it's a neat effect that you can capture while drawing, but why is that so essential to its existence? Surely, the gimmick is not what makes Watchmen so memorable and great.

You are right about Manhattan's all-time-at-once thing. That'll be hard.

Grouchy
11-27-2007, 04:54 AM
What does that have to do with anything, though?
Well, it's what you were asking for, an example of something you can do with panel layout that you can't do with moving film and editing.

Surely, the gimmick is not what makes Watchmen so memorable and great.
Yes it is. Except it's not just a gimmick, it's a Russian doll storytelling style spread with variants through the entire series. You could do a movie with the same story and themes, and it'd make as much sense as shooting a drama about the Guernica bombing and call it an adaptation of Picasso's painting.

You are right about Manhattan's all-time-at-once thing. That'll be hard.
Try impossible. There's art in time and art in space. Manhattan's mindframe and all-encompassing time view can be done in a space medium, but not in a time one. Even with split-screen, you watch one image after another. You can't see all of them at the same time.

Ivan Drago
11-28-2007, 02:31 PM
I think the Dr. Manhattan stuff is my favorite part of the book so far.

That being said, I'm looking forward to this movie.

number8
02-20-2008, 07:12 AM
http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/watchmen.jpg

Thirdmango
02-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Having literally just finished this book 6 hours ago, it's wacky for me to see it in movie form. I'm interested to see how they'll do it. The parts that I don't see how they will translate to film are the tidbits of information you get in between chapters. The newspaper clippings and the like.

KK2.0
02-20-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm sure the film will be immensely inferior to the book, just like V, but i'm dead curious to watch the results. And in the end, Snyder is a competent storyteller, i'm sure it will be entertaining and reasonably faithful.

bac0n
02-21-2008, 01:48 PM
All this talk about the movie reminds me that I need to dig up my copy of Watchmen and re-read it. It's been ages.

Henry Gale
03-06-2008, 05:15 AM
First Look at Watchmen Characters!! (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=42657)

I guess that's one way of reminding everyone that it's now exactly one year away.

megladon8
03-06-2008, 05:26 AM
Looks cool.

I have to say, though, that I imagine the costumes will evoke laughs from a lot of audience members who don't know the comics.

I know for certain my friends will find them ridiculous.

Skitch
03-06-2008, 11:31 AM
I am really excited for this...I like Snyder.

Sven
03-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I have to say, though, that I imagine the costumes will evoke laughs from a lot of audience members who don't know the comics.

Or how about laughs from the audience members who DO know the comics? I don't remember Night Owl looking all Batman Forever. I'm surprised they didn't give him nipples. Looks like they covered that with Ozymandias, though. Silly. Super silly.

Grouchy
03-06-2008, 02:09 PM
I obviously remain cold about this movie because of the reasons mentioned, but those looks are all awesome.

Morris Schæffer
03-06-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm not a fan of Watchmen, but apart from feeling a bit derivative, the designs are cool. Speaking of Watchmen, I have Absolute Watchmen and have made two attempts to read through it, but failed each time. No, not a knock on the material which, for a non-comic fan, actually reads wonderfully, but I keep getting sidetracked I suppose.

Raiders
03-06-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm not a fan of Watchmen, but apart from feeling a bit derivative, the designs are cool. Speaking of Watchmen, I have Absolute Watchmen and have made two attempts to read through it, but failed each time. No, not a knock on the material which, for a non-comic fan, actually reads wonderfully, but I keep getting sidetracked I suppose.

Oy.

Saya
03-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Ozymandias looks just wrong...

Skitch
03-06-2008, 04:25 PM

Would you prefer tights and spandex?

KK2.0
03-06-2008, 04:59 PM

echoes of Joel "batnipples" Schumacher?

the Comedian, Silk Spectre and Rorschach look great though

I guess Dr Manhattan didn't need a costume test.. *drumroll and crash*

Saya
03-06-2008, 05:31 PM

I'd prefer something without nipples and fake muscles.

Ozy and Nite Owl costumes are way overproduced.

It's not just the costume though, I think the actor is miscast as well. He doesn't look right for the part.

number8
03-06-2008, 05:50 PM
That Nite Owl cowl is just awful. What is he, 1930s Batman?

Duncan
03-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Ozy looks like Niles Crane in a muscle suit.

DavidSeven
03-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Abs built into costumes... why?

number8
03-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Snyder said something long ago about satiring and referencing other comic book movies the way Watchmen did to old Charlton characters, so I'm guessing the Ozymandias nipples is his homage to Schumacher.

Still looks like ass anyway.

megladon8
03-06-2008, 07:20 PM
I was going to say that Silk Spectre image looked nothing like Carla Cugino.

Then I remembered she's playing the original, and that's an image of the second one.

number8
03-06-2008, 07:27 PM
I was kind of expecting Silk Spectre to be wearing silk, but that would be asking too much.

lovejuice
03-06-2008, 07:41 PM
if anything, i like it.

Wryan
03-07-2008, 12:39 AM
Mixed bag.

lovejuice
03-07-2008, 12:43 AM
i kinda like Ozy. the buff-up costume stands in contrast to his childish face.

Dead & Messed Up
03-07-2008, 04:07 AM
Most of 'em look good to me, especially The Comedian. Love it.

::shrugs::

trotchky
03-07-2008, 05:11 AM

I would. It would work, thematically, in Watchmen's favor, as a deconstruction of the superhero "genre," rather than this un-ironic edgy Generic Super Hero Movie X crap.

number8
03-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Ozymandias doesn't wear tights in the comic. He wears an armor with a robe over it.

KK2.0
03-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Snyder said something long ago about satiring and referencing other comic book movies the way Watchmen did to old Charlton characters, so I'm guessing the Ozymandias nipples is his homage to Schumacher.

makes sense, hope he does not get too much carried away by that though, i'd be pissed if Watchmen turned into Mystery Men 2.

Acapelli
05-26-2008, 11:12 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/26/business/media/26retail.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin

yesyesyeyesyesyes

megladon8
05-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Jeffrey Dean Morgan sometimes looks an awful lot like Javier Bardem...

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7797/jdmfq0.jpg

Raiders
05-27-2008, 01:09 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/26/business/media/26retail.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin

yesyesyeyesyesyes

Why yes? Sounds pretty silly to me. Its only relevance here seems like its connections within the plot of the Watchmen story. I don't really care about it beyond that. Will there still be sequences of it in the movie?

Acapelli
05-27-2008, 01:10 AM
Why yes? Sounds pretty silly to me. Its only relevance here seems like its connections within the plot of the Watchmen story. I don't really care about it beyond that. Will there still be sequences of it in the movie?
i'm just happy that they're doing the black freighter sequences at all

Grouchy
05-27-2008, 02:51 AM

yesyesyeyesyesyes
As good a piece of news as that is, I'm just pissed the fuck off that they're even thinking of making this movie.

number8
05-27-2008, 09:37 AM

That's fucking stupid.

megladon8
05-27-2008, 12:10 PM
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7854/mmpicsr7.th.jpg (http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mmpicsr7.jpg)

Sven
05-27-2008, 12:27 PM
That's fucking stupid.

Yeah.... it is.

Acapelli
05-27-2008, 08:56 PM
how so?

other than "oh it's the watchmen, it shouldn't be made"

well it's being made, and i'm glad that it seems like Zach Snyder really wants to try to do it justice (operative word: try). i mean even if it is a spectacular failure, as most of you seem to have pre-determined it will be, at least they have decided to adapt all the aspects of the novel rather than half-assing it.

Raiders
05-27-2008, 09:01 PM
how so?

other than "oh it's the watchmen, it shouldn't be made"

well it's being made, and i'm glad that it seems like Zach Snyder really wants to try to do it justice (operative word: try). i mean even if it is a spectacular failure, as most of you seem to have pre-determined it will be, at least they have decided to adapt all the aspects of the novel rather than half-assing it.

How does taking making the story-within-the-story of the original book into its own feature really add anything? It is solely, as the article suggests, a marketing ploy designed to make money. That's fine for them, but I don't really care.

Sycophant
05-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I don't take this as good news, for the reasons Raiders describes.

I don't know whether it will be feature-length or not, but either way, the story would have to be padded out quite a bit, I would think. And I don't really trust that to go over well at all.

Acapelli
05-27-2008, 09:08 PM
How does taking making the story-within-the-story of the original book into its own feature really add anything? It is solely, as the article suggests, a marketing ploy designed to make money. That's fine for them, but I don't really care.

and then an “ultimate” edition in which the two are edited together into one megamovie.
yes, it is a marketing ploy, but to say it's solely a marketing ploy is to hold a slightly cynical viewpoint. watchmen isn't a big property on the level of spider-man and batman.

Raiders
05-27-2008, 09:09 PM
I see. I missed that in the article. So what I'm getting in the theater will excise all that material? I guess I'll just wait for the DVD then.

Grouchy
05-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Yeah, on second thought, if Tales of the Black Freighter is not inserted into the main narrative, it makes zero sense to have it there at all. It's not like it's an EXCELLENT pirate tale. It's a pulp metaphor that paralells the storyline.

number8
05-27-2008, 09:26 PM
That's the thing. Tales of the Black Freighter and Under the Hood, by themselves, are useless. It's a fucking stupid idea to watch them separately. They're parallel stories, for god's sake. That's the whole point and intent of Black Freighter, to mirror what's happening with the Crimebusters and provide a raw survivalist and savage context to them surviving the political crisis. Either throw that out completely or edit them together to make the argument. People are supposed to watch Watchmen and then 5 days later buy an anime on DVD that vaguely mirrors certain scenes from a movie they saw in theaters days ago? What the hell is the point?

number8
05-28-2008, 04:43 AM
Wrote something rather lengthy about this (http://www.justpressplay.net/viewarticle/why-bother-watching-watchmen-in-theaters/). Apparently I'm more passionate about this project than I really care to be. *sigh*

Sycophant
05-28-2008, 04:46 AM
Wrote something rather lengthy about this (http://www.justpressplay.net/viewarticle/why-bother-watching-watchmen-in-theaters/). Apparently I'm more passionate about this project than I really care to be. *sigh*
I sympathize. I feel the same way every time I get on the topic of Star Wars.

number8
07-15-2008, 06:33 AM
So, saw the trailer before TDK.

Eeeh. The visuals look impressive, but it's still using that fast-motion-slow-motion editing shit that I can't fucking stand. And they keep hiding Dr. Manhattan's dick in a dark shadow that just appears on his crotch for no reason. Lame.

megladon8
07-15-2008, 06:34 AM

Eeeh. The visuals look impressive, but it's still using that fast-motion-slow-motion editing shit that I can't fucking stand. And they keep hiding Dr. Manhattan's dick in a dark shadow that just appears on his crotch for no reason. Lame.

Did they also show the Terminator: Salvation trailer?

I'm actually more interested in that than Watchmen.

number8
07-15-2008, 06:35 AM
No, because I saw it on IMAX, so only IMAX trailers. This and Harry Potter.

Watashi
07-15-2008, 06:35 AM

I'd highly doubt they show Doc's dick in a trailer.

I just reread Watchmen yesterday, and I'm pretty pumped if nothing except a good performance out of Jackie Earle Haley.

number8
07-15-2008, 06:39 AM
I'd highly doubt they show Doc's dick in a trailer.

I just reread Watchmen yesterday, and I'm pretty pumped if nothing except a good performance out of Jackie Earle Haley.

Duh! I didn't even think of that. Maybe they'l show it in the movie, but the way it looks in the trailer was ridiculous. His crotch is just dark when the rest of him is bright blue.

Jackie Earle Haley sounded like he was trying to imitate Bale's Batman voice.

Silencio
07-15-2008, 06:41 AM
Harry Potter.Was this just the blank screen, line of dialogue, and title I read about, or an actual teaser?

number8
07-15-2008, 06:47 AM
Was this just the blank screen, line of dialogue, and title I read about, or an actual teaser?

Just the blank screen and title. Everyone laughed at how pointless it was.

Qrazy
07-15-2008, 06:50 AM
Fast-motion-slow-motion editing shit that I can't fucking stand.

Agreed that style is truly awful. I don't mind regular motion to slow motion and back to regular that much.

megladon8
07-17-2008, 07:00 AM
Any word on what this will be rated?

The comic book would be an R, and they managed to do great business with 300 despite its R rating.

I would hope they wouldn't cower under the almighty PG-13.

Watashi
07-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Any word on what this will be rated?

The comic book would be an R, and they managed to do great business with 300 despite its R rating.

I would hope they wouldn't cower under the almighty PG-13.
Snyder has said it will be rated R and close to 3 hours in length.

megladon8
07-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Snyder has said it will be rated R and close to 3 hours in length.

Oh cool.

Well, I hope it's not just visual flare. I enjoyed 300 as a loud-and-mean piece of popcorn entertainment, but looking at it deeper in any way hurts the brain.

I really don't think this one will do well at all, unless it has a marketing campaign like The Dark Knight. Not enough people know the "Watchmen" book, and I bet the trailers will get a lot of laughs due to the admittedly silly costumes.

number8
07-17-2008, 08:26 AM
So, my mistake. Seeing the trailer a second time, the weird dark spot on his crotch was his speedo. Heh

megladon8
07-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Last night I accidentally told my friend that Keanu Reeves was playing Manhattan.

I'd totally forgotten that Billy Crudup replaced him.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/5457/07failwm0.jpg

Morris Schæffer
07-17-2008, 07:13 PM
trailer:

http://www.empireonline.com/video/watchmen/

Watashi
07-17-2008, 07:35 PM
trailer:

It LOOKS like a Watchmen movie, but somehow it just doesn't feel like one.

Ivan Drago
07-17-2008, 07:37 PM
trailer:

It stops at 0:38. At least for me.

EDIT: Ah no wonder. It got removed.

Henry Gale
07-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Quick! Before it gets pulled!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NhzTfi10lHY

Ezee E
07-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Quick! Before it gets pulled!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NhzTfi10lHY
Gone.

Henry Gale
07-17-2008, 08:45 PM
I'd say just keep searching it on YouTube and then sort by date. If you find one that works, keep the window open, 'cause you may not be able to go back later.

I actually have to say the trailer was somewhat impressive. Mostly in the Dr. Manhattan and more visual stuff (especially the final shot). We'll see how it all works together next year though.

Sven
07-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Holy moly, this looks terrible.

rocus
07-17-2008, 09:45 PM
http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/watchmen/trailer

Winston*
07-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Ha, they used the Batman & Robin Smashing Pumpkins song.

Melville
07-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Holy moly, this looks terrible.
I would have gone with "Sweet fancy Moses," but yeah, that looks nigh unwatchable. The shiny imagery, reveling in action, sexy women, etc. look embarrassingly awful, and they're all completely at odds with the tone and themes of the graphic novel.

Lasse
07-17-2008, 10:11 PM
I know nothing about the graphic novel, and that looks alright to me.:|

Saya
07-17-2008, 10:43 PM
That looked better than I thought it would. The costumes still look weak though and the guy playing Veidt seems all wrong for the part.

Sven
07-17-2008, 10:46 PM
I would have gone with "Sweet fancy Moses," but yeah, that looks nigh unwatchable. The shiny imagery, reveling in action, sexy women, etc. look embarrassingly awful, and they're all completely at odds with the tone and themes of the graphic novel.

Well, isn't trying to make a comment on superhero movies or something like that? A la the comic's commentary on superhero comics? So isn't the awfulness intentional? [cue trans]

megladon8
07-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Ha, they used the Batman & Robin Smashing Pumpkins song.

No, I think the Pumpkins song from Batman & Robin was a different one.

"The Everlasting Gaze", wasn't it?

I actually thought this song was quite appropriate.

Looks like it'll be a visual treat with nothing else going for it. I guess Zack Snyder has found his schtick.

Raiders
07-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Eh, I think there's potential there. The action looks way flashy, and the characters far too attractive, but I do sort of think that based on what we know of the film's stance as a commentary on current superhero films, it could work (though I wonder, if this is true, isn't Snyder harpooning his own 300 techniques?). I think it would have been better rather than ape superhero movie trends to simply forgo them altogether, thus making the anti-superohero superhero movie. But, it's probably the route Snyder is more comfortable with.

megladon8
07-18-2008, 03:05 AM
Man, watching that trailer again, I really see how that slow-fast-slow stuff annoys number8.

And this movie is 3 hours long?

With that much slow motion, there's probably only a good 45 minutes of footage in the whole thing.

number8
07-18-2008, 03:39 AM
Eh, I think there's potential there. The action looks way flashy, and the characters far too attractive, but I do sort of think that based on what we know of the film's stance as a commentary on current superhero films, it could work (though I wonder, if this is true, isn't Snyder harpooning his own 300 techniques?). I think it would have been better rather than ape superhero movie trends to simply forgo them altogether, thus making the anti-superohero superhero movie. But, it's probably the route Snyder is more comfortable with.

Well, when they showed the trailer before TDK, this chick sitting next to me saw Nite Owl's drop down shot and went "Omigod! That guy looks like Batmaaan!" So I guess it worked.

Winston*
07-18-2008, 04:48 AM
No, I think the Pumpkins song from Batman & Robin was a different one.

"The Everlasting Gaze", wasn't it?

Well, you'd be wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End_Is_the_Beginning_Is_th e_End

I suppose if you want to argue semantics it's a different version of the same song used in Batman and Robin.

Dead & Messed Up
07-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Regarding the slow-fast-slow...on the one hand, it's a bit overdone. On the other hand, it gives some of those visuals time to breathe as almost-still-images. That shot of the Comedian hitting the glass is perfectly appropriate.

I'm really looking forward to this.

As an ardent fan of the original story, though, I have to wonder about two things:

1) Are they keeping the alien squid?
2) Are they killing Ozymandias?

I side with the comic on both issues.

megladon8
07-18-2008, 07:01 AM
Those are good questions, DaMU, and I wonder about them myself.

I was also wondering what the time period is for this movie.

Did they end up going with the original 1980s? Or is it present day? Future?

number8
07-18-2008, 07:04 AM
Everything's exactly as it is in the comic.

It's the 80s. There's the squid monster. Ozy dies.

megladon8
07-18-2008, 07:05 AM

OK, that's good to know.

When I saw the WTC in the trailer, I wasn't sure if they were pulling some "alternate future" type stuff.

Saya
07-18-2008, 08:53 AM

Did I miss something?

Isn't it Rorschach who dies? I thought Ozy survived the whole thing...

MadMan
07-18-2008, 09:19 AM
I'll admit I haven't read the graphic novel yet. The trailer that was shown before TDK though had me gasping in amazement. It looks pretty stunning to me, but I have no idea how everything else aside from the beautiful visuals will turn out.

Dukefrukem
07-18-2008, 02:56 PM
wow.. the music with that trailer gave me chills....

Raiders
07-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Did I miss something?

I thought so too.

D_Davis
07-18-2008, 06:28 PM
That looks pretty badass to me.

Sven
07-18-2008, 06:35 PM
That looks pretty badass to me.

Are you sure you don't mean to say that it looks both bad and ass?

D_Davis
07-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Are you sure you don't mean to say that it looks both bad and ass?

It looks boss.

Sven
07-18-2008, 06:43 PM
It looks boss.

By which to say you think it looks like something dull, imaginationless, and, while good with people, not terribly considerate of the feelings of those with whom it comes in contact?

D_Davis
07-18-2008, 06:44 PM
By which to say you think it looks like something dull, imaginationless, and, while good with people, not terribly considerate of the feelings of those with whom it comes in contact?

It looks tight.

Sven
07-18-2008, 06:45 PM
It looks tight.

By which you mean to say that it looks stifling and/or suffocating?

D_Davis
07-18-2008, 06:47 PM
By which you mean to say that it looks stifling and/or suffocating?

It looks bodacious.

Best American movie since The Dark Knight.

Sven
07-18-2008, 06:53 PM
It looks bodacious.

I agree.

ledfloyd
07-18-2008, 06:55 PM
poor Alan Moore. he'll never have a good movie made of his work.

D_Davis
07-18-2008, 06:57 PM
I agree.

That was a stimulating conversation we had. I'm spent, but I'm glad we came to an agreement.

Grouchy
07-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Did I miss something?

Exactly. I think it was just a typo.

Philosophe_rouge
07-18-2008, 07:27 PM
I was seriously in awe of how bad this looks. I don't know, completely uninterested. I should probably read the source material, but the trailer did nothing for me.

Dukefrukem
07-18-2008, 07:41 PM
It looks bodacious.

I loled

eternity
07-19-2008, 02:21 AM
Poster (http://www.neoavant.com/watchmenreal.jpg)

origami_mustache
07-19-2008, 02:39 AM
just watched trailer...some of the effects just look crappy, but i liked the way the trailer was edited...I am interesting in cutting trailers myself.

MadMan
07-19-2008, 02:53 AM
I bet the only reason I thought that trailer was awesome (and that I've seen it twice since I last saw it when I went to see TDK) because I haven't read the graphic novel. But what if I read the book and then think the movie will still be awesome? If that happens I'm hoping heads will explode or something cool to that effect. :P

Ivan Drago
07-19-2008, 03:49 AM
After seeing the trailer before TDK, I'm REEEEEALLY looking forward to this movie.

Dead & Messed Up
07-19-2008, 03:50 AM
I bet the only reason I thought that trailer was awesome (and that I've seen it twice since I last saw it when I went to see TDK) because I haven't read the graphic novel. But what if I read the book and then think the movie will still be awesome? If that happens I'm hoping heads will explode or something cool to that effect. :P

Read.

The.

Book.

ledfloyd
07-19-2008, 03:52 AM
i see nothing that sets this trailer apart. it seems completely generic to me. the costumes (with a few exceptions) and editing look terrible. what am i missing?

megladon8
07-19-2008, 02:12 PM
I agree a few of the costumes are terrible, but seeing the trailer on the big screen was pretty "WOW" inducing.

I'm not excited.

EyesWideOpen
07-19-2008, 06:38 PM
The first chapter of the Watchmen motion comics is up at Itunes for free if anyone is interested. It's pretty awesome.

Ezee E
07-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Saw the preview. Looks just okay. I haven't read the Watchmen either.

origami_mustache
07-20-2008, 01:47 AM
i see nothing that sets this trailer apart. it seems completely generic to me. the costumes (with a few exceptions) and editing look terrible. what am i missing?

eh I'd say the pacing is much different than most others.

number8
07-20-2008, 02:18 AM
To all you folks who haven't read Watchmen, if you read it and think "What's the big deal?", read it again. And again. Then discuss it with people who have read it 5-10 times (ie. moi :P).

I want to see if I can convince you to agree that the movie can't succeed. Just because. Tee hee.

EyesWideOpen
07-20-2008, 02:39 AM
To all you folks who haven't read Watchmen, if you read it and think "What's the big deal?", read it again. And again. Then discuss it with people who have read it 5-10 times (ie. moi :P).

I want to see if I can convince you to agree that the movie can't succeed. Just because. Tee hee.

I own the Absolute Edition of Watchmen and have read it multiple times. It's probably the best piece of literature i've ever read and I definitely think a movie version can succeed. Whether or not Snyder's version will i'm not sure but everything I've read and seen about it has been good enough that i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

EyesWideOpen
07-20-2008, 02:43 AM
Here's a neat link which shows some comparisons from the book to the movie trailer.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/watchmen_trailer_to_comic_comp arison/

Melville
07-20-2008, 02:58 AM
I mostly agree with 8. So much of the comic's success rests on its taking advantage of the comic book form. The written supplements rely on appearing in a book, the "fearful symmetry" and "Darkness of Mere Being" chapters rely on having multiple instants on display at the same time, the commentary on superhero psychology relies on the history of the medium, etc. A movie could try to do something equivalent to each of these, e.g. including clips from a documentary rather than a book, somehow taking advantage of film as a sequence of instants rather than a simultaneity of instants, commenting on some common aspects of film genre, etc., but then why bother making it a Watchmen movie?

Sven
07-20-2008, 03:04 AM
I think an adaptation is totally possible, because mostly it isn't the meta-nature of the comic or the structure of its layouts that I find most compelling (I think the symmetry in the Symmetry chapter to be, like, so nothing special). At its heart, past all the "art", it's exists, to me, as a fantastic story with universal repercussions.

EyesWideOpen
07-20-2008, 03:09 AM
I think an adaptation is totally possible, because mostly it isn't the meta-nature of the comic or the structure of its layouts that I find most compelling (I think the symmetry in the Symmetry chapter to be, like, so nothing special). At its heart, past all the "art", it's exists, to me, as a fantastic story with universal repercussions.

Exactly. Of course it's impossible to make an exact replica of the comic book in movie form but an adaptation of the "story" is entirely possible and i think could be done quite well.

Melville
07-20-2008, 03:19 AM
I like the story well enough, but the way it's built out of interconnected layers is what makes it great in my eyes. The fact that the pirate comic, which so perfectly (if a bit too transparently) dovetails with the main plot and reinforces its "universal repercussions", won't be in the theatrical release of the film seems like a strong indicator that most of the interesting things in the comic won't make it into the film. (Especially since the pirate comic could so easily be translated into a movie-within-the-movie. Leaving it out purely due to time constraints just suggests that a theatrical release is a bad idea.)

Sven
07-20-2008, 03:22 AM
I like the story well enough, but the way it's built out of interconnected layers is what makes it great in my eyes. The fact that the pirate comic, which so perfectly (if a bit too transparently) dovetails with the main plot and reinforces its "universal repercussions", won't be in the theatrical release of the film, seems like a strong indicator that most of the interesting things in the comic won't make it into the film. (Especially since the pirate comic could so easily be translated into a movie-within-the-movie. Leaving it out purely due to time constraints just suggests that a theatrical release is a bad idea.)

I agree that the pirate parallel is muy interesting, but I don't think it's impossible to do even that in a film. The fact that it's being released as a supplement indicates to me that Snyder has no idea what he's dealing with.

Skitch
07-20-2008, 03:50 AM

I heard a terrible rumor that...

...NY will still be destroyed, but no squidy. I hope it wrong...

...you hear that for sure? God I hope so.

Also, for the record, I think this movie will suffer...from those going to theater that have never read the book. Those that will be expecting comic book whathaveyou and getting...well...Watchmen. Those of us that know what is coming will love it (give or take the fanboy/ultrastrict movie snob), but given the material, I find it atypical. Expectations may play a big role with this film.

Sycophant
07-20-2008, 04:32 AM
Actually, I think the whole thing looks too self-consciously pretty and design-y to serve the material. Though it does look pretty.

megladon8
07-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Alan Moore goes on record...er...again... (http://io9.com/5026980/watchmen-creator-ignores-movie)saying he's going to "ignore" the movie.

Kurosawa Fan
07-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Actually, I think the whole thing looks too self-consciously pretty and design-y to serve the material. Though it does look pretty.

Seeing it on the big screen yesterday, I whole-heartedly agree.

number8
07-21-2008, 03:19 AM

But even foregoing all that (which is a shame, because it's part of Watchmen's initial design as a showcase for what comics are capable of that no other storytelling medium is--and that's reflected in Dr. Manhattan's power), there's also the fact that, like Melville said, a lot of it plays with the history and conventions of superhero comics. The reason it had such an impact was because of its expansion and/or turning-the-head of the comics people were accustomed to (Veidt's plot, for instance--or Rorschach's "origin", taking the whole "criminals forced me to act" convention into "society in general is evil, forcing me to act," which was unheard of for a superhero). Nevermind also how Moore based every single character on existing DC Comics characters. This is why I was initially impressed that Snyder said he was going to use Watchmen to satirize the comic book movie craze, but I don't have confidence that he'll pull it off.

I'm not denying that on the surface Watchmen's plot and storytelling is compelling enough to commend, because it totally is, it's brilliant... but the truth is that I get no joy out of seeing my comics animated (by live action or otherwise). The fact that there's no way a movie (or even an HBO series like some fans would suggest) adaptation could match what the comic accomplished says enough for me--what the fuck is the point?

And before we say "it brings in a new audience", let me just say that A) I don't necessarily think this has been true with comic book movies, and B) Who gives a shit? The movie's still the same.

Acapelli
07-21-2008, 04:14 AM
seeing the trailer finally got my brother to read watchmen, after i had been badgering him for months a while back

Acapelli
07-21-2008, 04:32 AM
and yeah i know one case does not make an argument, but i think the new audience thing may be a factor (if not major) since it's a self-contained. there isn't multiple decades of continuity that may put off some to picking up a comic book like in the case of seeing a film with batman or spider-man

number8
07-21-2008, 04:46 AM
and yeah i know one case does not make an argument, but i think the new audience thing may be a factor (if not major) since it's a self-contained. there isn't multiple decades of continuity that may put off some to picking up a comic book like in the case of seeing a film with batman or spider-man

But that's less appealing to me. With legacy characters I can look forward to directors having their interpretation of the character's decades of history. I don't really like Burton's take on Batman but I do think it's a valid interpretation, and I like the fact that you can have both Burton and Nolan create vastly different films based on the same character. And the stories can be original.

With books like Watchmen, 300, V for Vendetta and shit, it's just the same fucking story retold in a different medium. They're both visual mediums. My main problem, I guess, is that with a novel you can give the same book to two different directors and they'll have different visual interpretations because it's in a way a blank canvas. With comics, it's already a visual medium--and a perfectly good one at that--and to try and transplant that into film is... Well, it's boring.

Dead & Messed Up
07-21-2008, 05:47 AM
But that's less appealing to me. With legacy characters I can look forward to directors having their interpretation of the character's decades of history. I don't really like Burton's take on Batman but I do think it's a valid interpretation, and I like the fact that you can have both Burton and Nolan create vastly different films based on the same character. And the stories can be original.

With books like Watchmen, 300, V for Vendetta and shit, it's just the same fucking story retold in a different medium. They're both visual mediums. My main problem, I guess, is that with a novel you can give the same book to two different directors and they'll have different visual interpretations because it's in a way a blank canvas. With comics, it's already a visual medium--and a perfectly good one at that--and to try and transplant that into film is... Well, it's boring.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2213/2241159742_dac7f13ab6.jpg

Boring? Number8, Number8,

::shakes head::

This is an exciting opportunity for both DC Comics and Warner Brothers affiliates! For years, fans of Watchmen have been an untapped resource, but now, thanks to the proficient direction of commercially successful director Zach Snyder, we can now plug into that vital revenue stream. The new venture is guaranteed to cume at least $100 mil before we even factor in merchandising, ancillary rights, rentals, pay cable.

Hell! This is child's stuff until the DVD comes out. Did I mention there's a DVD? Hell, there's five! The theatrical cut, the Black Freighter by itself, the "Under the Hood" documentary, the extended director's cut, and the ultimate cut with the Black Freighter segments placed back in! You know how many trips to Tijuana that will buy? ROI will be through the roof, stockholders will be happy.

Boring? What's boring about any of that? It's a lot more exciting for us than reading what posters on a fringe forum happen to think about our business products. I'm sorry, "films." Yes, our "films."

Hahahahahahahaha!

Hold on, I need to Blackberry Lara Ziskin.

Qrazy
07-21-2008, 06:45 AM
Regarding the slow-fast-slow...on the one hand, it's a bit overdone. On the other hand, it gives some of those visuals time to breathe as almost-still-images. That shot of the Comedian hitting the glass is perfectly appropriate.

That's why regular to slow to regular works ok but fast to slow to fast just looks like shit.

Watashi
07-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Pin-Up Art of Sally Jupiter from the film (slightly NSFW):

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2008/gugino.jpg

Ivan Drago
07-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Hell! This is child's stuff until the DVD comes out. Did I mention there's a DVD? Hell, there's five! The theatrical cut, the Black Freighter by itself, the "Under the Hood" documentary, the extended director's cut, and the ultimate cut with the Black Freighter segments placed back in! You know how many trips to Tijuana that will buy? ROI will be through the roof, stockholders will be happy.

Actually the Under The Hood documentary is on the DVD with Tales of the Black Freighter. But has the ultimate cut been officially announced?

megladon8
07-22-2008, 02:51 AM
Was there ever an explanation in the comic as to how/why Roschach's mask moves and changes?

Or was it just one o' dem tings?

Raiders
07-22-2008, 02:54 AM
Was there ever an explanation in the comic as to how/why Roschach's mask moves and changes?

Or was it just one o' dem tings?

Wiki says!

At about the same time, he found work as an unskilled garment worker; noting later to a prison psychiatrist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychiatrist) "Job bearable but unpleasant. Had to handle female clothing". Working in this capacity, in 1962 he grew fascinated by a new fabric made possible through technologies developed by Doctor Manhattan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Manhattan). Two viscous liquids, one black and one white, between two layers of latex, continually shifted in response to heat and pressure, forming symmetrical patterns like a Rorschach inkblot test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorschach_inkblot_test) while never mixing to produce a grey colour. Kovacs learned of the fabric when a young woman chose not to buy a dress which she had ordered made from it; subsequently Kovacs took the dress home and experimented with the fabric. He learned to cut the fabric and maintain the seal using heated scissors.

megladon8
07-22-2008, 02:55 AM
Wiki says!

Wonderful, thank you!

I actually think I might start re-reading this book tonight...it's been like, 3 1/2 years...

ledfloyd
07-22-2008, 03:03 AM
yeah, seeing this trailer on the big screen changed nothing. i'd like to say i'm going to be ignoring it along with alan moore. but i know i will have to check it out on dvd.

Dead & Messed Up
07-22-2008, 04:45 AM
Actually the Under The Hood documentary is on the DVD with Tales of the Black Freighter. But has the ultimate cut been officially announced?

Not officially, but it seems like a no-brainer. Give it six months to a year after the DVD. Probably a year, for the stocking stuffer potential.

Grouchy
07-22-2008, 05:31 AM
The trailer looks as good as a Watchmen adaptation can look, minus the song. The song sucks. But this statement sums up how I still feel about it:

I talked to [director] Terry Gilliam in the '80s, and he asked me how I would make Watchmen into a film. I said, ''Well actually, Terry, if anybody asked me, I would have said, 'I wouldn't.''' And I think that Terry [who aborted his attempted adaptation of the book] eventually came to agree with me. There are things that we did with Watchmen that could only work in a comic, and were indeed designed to show off things that other media can't do.

EyesWideOpen
07-22-2008, 05:54 AM
I'm not a Pumpkins fan, but i liked the song so much i immediately bought it off itunes.

megladon8
07-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Anyone had any luck finding that specific version of the Pumpkins song?

The original is much faster and heavier, but I like the one from this trailer more.

EyesWideOpen
07-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Anyone had any luck finding that specific version of the Pumpkins song?

The original is much faster and heavier, but I like the one from this trailer more.

That specific one from the watchmen trailer is on itunes. The faster version is called The End is the Beginning is the End. The one from the Watchmen trailer is called The Beginning is the End is the Beginning. Their both available on the Smashing Pumpkins Rarities & B-Sides album.

megladon8
07-22-2008, 12:38 PM
That specific one from the watchmen trailer is on itunes. The faster version is called The End is the Beginning is the End. The one from the Watchmen trailer is called The Beginning is the End is the Beginning. Their both available on the Smashing Pumpkins Rarities & B-Sides album.

Oh, cool, thanks!

EyesWideOpen
07-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Oh, cool, thanks!

No problem. I listened to the slow version on itunes, clicked on it to buy it and accidently clicked on the fast version which was right next to it and purchased it not knowing their were two versions. So now I have both.

megladon8
07-22-2008, 12:44 PM
No problem. I listened to the slow version on itunes, clicked on it to buy it and accidently clicked on the fast version which was right next to it and purchased it not knowing their were two versions. So now I have both.

It's a great song.

Speaking of music from the Schumacher Batman movies, I also really like the song "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" by U2.

EyesWideOpen
07-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Also since no one responded, if you have itunes download the Watchmen motion comic. It's free and if your a fan of the book i don't see how you wouldn't enjoy it.

megladon8
07-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Also since no one responded, if you have itunes download the Watchmen motion comic. It's free and if your a fan of the book i don't see how you wouldn't enjoy it.

Is it similar to how they're doing the TV series of "Invincible"?

number8
07-22-2008, 06:17 PM

Well, I own the book, so I prefer reading it than having it read to me with crude animations. I downloaded it and turned it off after 2 minutes.

Dead & Messed Up
07-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Well, I own the book, so I prefer reading it than having it read to me with crude animations. I downloaded it and turned it off after 2 minutes.

Same here. Did nothing for me.

EyesWideOpen
07-22-2008, 11:00 PM
You guys are too cool for everything.

Dead & Messed Up
07-22-2008, 11:13 PM
You guys are too cool for everything.

It's well-produced, but I'd just rather read the comic, since the visuals are so close, and the dialogue is identical. Brings up the question of why I'm looking forward to the film, since the same principle applies. To that, I say . . .

::runs away::

MadMan
07-23-2008, 03:20 AM
Read.

The.

Book.

I

Will

Eventually

:P

Its not like I don't have a year to do so.

Dead & Messed Up
07-23-2008, 04:59 AM
I

Will

Eventually

Fine. When you do read it, you'll regret not having read it sooner. Like back in July, when DaMU told you to.

Skitch
07-23-2008, 11:18 AM
I

Will

Eventually

You don't have a year to do so! :)

Lurker
07-26-2008, 03:16 PM
I just read Newsarama's report (http://www.newsarama.com/film/080725-comic-con-watchmen.html) on Comic-Con's Watchmen panel. Something Zack Snyder said caught my eye;

“Everyone likes Rorschach the best, so that rules him out. Everyone likes the Comedian because he’s kind of a...bad ass. Those two I can’t vote for.”

Uh... what? I'm bothered that the director of Watchmen thinks The Comedian is 'bad ass'. Although this shouldn't really come off as a surprise considering it's from the visionary director of 300.

megladon8
07-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Yes, attempted rape and beating up a female coworker have "badass" written all over them.

Ezee E
07-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Yes, attempted rape and beating up a female coworker have "badass" written all over them.
::walks away quietly::

:)

Still haven't read it. Maybe I'll check it out after I finish Blood Meridian.

Dead & Messed Up
07-26-2008, 06:46 PM

I wouldn't call the Comedian a badass either, but I won't deny that he has badass elements to him.

eternity
07-26-2008, 11:00 PM
He's bad, he's an ass, it works out, doesn't it?

"Badass" is a very ambiguous term.

MadMan
07-27-2008, 01:25 AM
You don't have a year to do so! :)Okay, more like 9 months or so. Its still plenty of time.

Fine. When you do read it, you'll regret not having read it sooner. Like back in July, when DaMU told you to.:lol: Sure. Whatever :P

Watashi
07-28-2008, 04:03 AM
The new trailer is orgasmic. The best footage shown at Comic Con. It will make the non-believers believe.

And yes, I would say the Comedian is a badass.

Sycophant
07-28-2008, 04:39 AM
The new trailer is orgasmic. The best footage shown at Comic Con. It will make the non-believers believe.
I don't believe this.

And yes, I would say the Comedian is a badass.Yeah, I think his entire persona is constructed around the concept of badass.

Barty
07-28-2008, 05:26 AM
The new trailer is orgasmic. The best footage shown at Comic Con.

This is true.

Ezee E
07-28-2008, 10:09 AM
I'll only believe it if 8 agrees.

megladon8
07-28-2008, 12:53 PM
I'll only believe it if 8 agrees.

...:|

Teh Sausage
07-28-2008, 12:55 PM
I haven't read it in a long time, but can someone tell me what was the deep, thematic reason why 'Fearful Symmetry' was structured the way it was? Why is it essential they have to show the chapter in that way?

Grouchy
07-28-2008, 08:52 PM
I haven't read it in a long time, but can someone tell me what was the deep, thematic reason why 'Fearful Symmetry' was structured the way it was? Why is it essential they have to show the chapter in that way?
Well, every episode has its own narrative gimmick.

I don't remember everything that happens in "Fearful Symmetry", but I believe it involved a lot of investigation by Roscharch and him being captured by the police. I'll check it out when I get home.

number8
07-29-2008, 05:04 PM
The new trailer was pretty impressive. It's not orgasmic, but definitely shows that Snyder really uses cinematic imageries to translate the panels. Loved the Nite Owl/Silk Spectre sex dream sequence in front of the mushroom cloud.

megladon8
07-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Bob Stencil interviews Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Malin Akerman. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRTuvWUGr3g)

number8
08-01-2008, 09:28 PM
New character posters (http://www.justpressplay.net/movies/movie-news/41-news/3785-new-qwatchmenq-promo-posters.html)

Dead & Messed Up
08-01-2008, 09:37 PM

Cause it's awesome.

number8
08-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Cause it's awesome.

It mirrors Rorschach's face, and the converging point in the middle (the big splash page of you-know-who, slightly out of place in a Rorschach chapter) is a big, big foreshadowing to the answer or Rorschach's mystery.

Dead & Messed Up
08-01-2008, 10:23 PM
It mirrors Rorschach's face, and the converging point in the middle (the big splash page of you-know-who, slightly out of place in a Rorschach chapter) is a big, big foreshadowing to the answer or Rorschach's mystery.

Well, none of that makes it essential. But if we took out everything that wasn't completely essential to Watchmen, we wouldn't have all the stuff that makes it so great.

number8
08-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Well, then I'd argue it was essential then. What's essential? Just the narrative? The deconstruction of superhero? Those little gimmicks made Watchmen the revered book that it is. Like you said, if we take all those out, we're missing a part of why the book was so influential. So yes, it is absolutely essential.

Dead & Messed Up
08-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Well, then I'd argue it was essential then. What's essential? Just the narrative? The deconstruction of superhero? Those little gimmicks made Watchmen the revered book that it is. Like you said, if we take all those out, we're missing a part of why the book was so influential. So yes, it is absolutely essential.

I brought up that point mostly because Teh Sausage made it sound like the use of symmetry doesn't have some deep, vital reason for existing; that it is really just a structural device, rather than a storytelling imperative. But as you point out, the formal experimentation of Watchmen is also vital to its success.

Melville
08-01-2008, 11:50 PM
- It reflects on Rorschach's character. The layout mimics his mask, but it also mimics his obsession with instilling order; and just as he hides his feral nature behind the ordered symmetry of his mask, the story that reveals his true nature hides behind the ordered symmetry of its layout.

- It makes the comic's narrative structure explicit in its physical design. This create an ironic distance between the reader and the story by making the reader aware of the fact that the story is something designed (i.e. something artificial).

- It plays into the comic's larger thematic and formal strategy. Throughout the comic, we see the story through various levels of formal structure: panel to panel, we get the constant visual puns where dialogue from one scene carries over to another and comments ironically on it; issue to issue we get structures such as the symmetric layout in this issue and the play with time in Manhattan's issue; over the entire series, we get the pirate comic and the backup material that continually weave through the story and comment on it. Together, all of these structures, and their commentary on one another, make the entire narrative into an elaborate crystaline structure in which the reader can see the whole as a single unit (rather than a typical narrative progression) while simultaneously seeing each of the unit's facets and their interrelation. In addition to being interesting for its own sake, and showing off some of comics' formal capabilities, it adds to the sense of seeing an overview of these characters' lives, and it emphasizes the inextricable relationships between those lives.

dreamdead
08-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Is it just me or is the Silk Spectre's head seemingly oddly proportioned in comparison to the rest of her frame in the majority of pics released thus far. Something about the way they're shooting her feels so artificial...

megladon8
08-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Is it just me or is the Silk Spectre's head seemingly oddly proportioned in comparison to the rest of her frame in the majority of pics released thus far. Something about the way they're shooting her feels so artificial...

Ha! I was just saying to Jen last night that I find Malin Akerman to have a sort of "bobble head" look to her.

number8
08-07-2008, 05:15 AM
I just realized my least favorite part about all this.

Watchmen: The Movie: The Video Game.

SirNewt
08-08-2008, 04:17 AM

It will be the most marvelously underfunded, misguided production of a piece of merchandise that has no target audience and no feasible relevance as an adaptation, ever.

SirNewt
08-08-2008, 04:22 AM
I can hardly wait for the Night Owl beat'em up stages.

Dead & Messed Up
08-08-2008, 08:37 AM

Button-mash to charge up Nite Owl's sexual potency!

:lol:

number8
08-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Yeah. Or play as Rorschach and pick the right answers to drive your shrink crazy!!

D_Davis
08-08-2008, 04:53 PM

Dude, imagine if Suda51 made the Watchmen game, all Killer 7-like. That would be awesome.

SirNewt
08-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Dude, imagine if Suda51 made the Watchmen game, all Killer 7-like. That would be awesome.

Or it would be totally fucked up. Win, win I guess.

D_Davis
08-09-2008, 02:15 AM
Or it would be totally fucked up. Win, win I guess.

Exactly.

SirNewt
08-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Exactly.

Let me rethink this. . .

It's actually more like they're the same thing.

eternity
08-09-2008, 11:07 PM
The thought of a Suda 51 Watchmen game suddenly made me have to throw my pants in the wash.

megladon8
08-15-2008, 11:42 AM
This is a pic from the premiere of Tropic Thunder, and I think RDJ looks like The Comedian here.

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/162/puresexrdjtropicru8.jpg

Skitch
08-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Wow, does he ever.

Ezee E
08-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Wow, does he ever.
When I first saw the preview, I thought it was him.

number8
08-15-2008, 06:53 PM
He had that stache when he was on Craig Ferguson last week. He said he's growing it for Sherlock Holmes.

megladon8
08-15-2008, 08:33 PM
A few new images...

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9101/ri120altflatcclv3.th.jpg (http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ri120altflatcclv3 .jpg)

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8735/wmd14626ccuz1.th.jpg (http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wmd14626ccuz1.jpg )

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5205/wmd28386cc1jy4.th.jpg (http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wmd28386cc1jy4.jp g)

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3972/wmd38746ccur4.th.jpg (http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wmd38746ccur4.jpg )

Grouchy
08-15-2008, 08:50 PM
He said he's growing it for Sherlock Holmes.
This does not match.

number8
08-15-2008, 08:51 PM
This does not match.

I know, but it's Guy Ritchie. They said it's going to be more of an action-adventure martial arts Sherlock Holmes than a murder mystery Sherlock Holmes. Ritchie probably said, "No, Holmes got to be BADASS. Let's give him facial hair. That'll make him look cooler, like a FUCK YOU MORIARTY YE WANKER kind of Sherlock!"

Grouchy
08-15-2008, 09:06 PM
I know, but it's Guy Ritchie. They said it's going to be more of an action-adventure martial arts Sherlock Holmes than a murder mystery Sherlock Holmes. Ritchie probably said, "No, Holmes got to be BADASS. Let's give him facial hair. That'll make him look cooler, like a FUCK YOU MORIARTY YE WANKER kind of Sherlock!"
Hahah! That's potentially all kinds of great. In fact, it sounds like Monty Python.

"Elementary, ye bloody git!".

Morris Schæffer
08-15-2008, 10:44 PM
It would appear that Kevin Smith has seen it:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/08/15/kevin-smith-has-seen-watchmen-its-fking-astounding/

Make of that what you will.:)

trotchky
08-15-2008, 10:52 PM
It would appear that Kevin Smith has seen it:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/08/15/kevin-smith-has-seen-watchmen-its-fking-astounding/

Make of that what you will.:)

He thinks Sin City was a faithful translation of the source material, so not only do I not trust his opinion, it actually makes me less excited to see Watchmen. :\

Ezee E
08-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Guy Ritchie should've casted Ben Foster instead. They'd have the same idea of making Sherlock Holmes EXTREEEEEME!

megladon8
08-16-2008, 02:51 PM
I've never read an advance review by Kevin Smith that wasn't glaringly positive, so this really means nothing to me.

Plus, a lot can change between now and March.

Just look at Punisher: War Zone.

I wouldn't put it past WB to make Watchmen PG-13 and add a soundtrack by Simple Plan.

EyesWideOpen
08-16-2008, 04:58 PM
I've never read an advance review by Kevin Smith that wasn't glaringly positive, so this really means nothing to me.

Plus, a lot can change between now and March.

Just look at Punisher: War Zone.

I wouldn't put it past WB to make Watchmen PG-13 and add a soundtrack by Simple Plan.

After the success of 300 their is no chance of that.

megladon8
08-16-2008, 10:30 PM
After the success of 300 their is no chance of that.

I thought there was no chance of Punisher: War Zone getting anything below R, yet we are, preparing for the release of a family friendly Punisher movie.

EyesWideOpen
08-17-2008, 12:33 AM
I thought there was no chance of Punisher: War Zone getting anything below R, yet we are, preparing for the release of a family friendly Punisher movie.

The first Punisher didn't make good money and they have no faith in the director. They have complete faith in Snyder.

Acapelli
08-17-2008, 02:21 AM
He thinks Sin City was a faithful translation of the source material, so not only do I not trust his opinion, it actually makes me less excited to see Watchmen. :\
wasn't it faithful though?

Ivan Drago
08-17-2008, 03:49 AM
wasn't it faithful though?

Sin City? It sure was. So was 300.

Sycophant
08-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Uh-oh!

Indeed, Fox contends that Warner Bros either knew or turned a blind eye to the fact that Fox had retained distribution rights in the project, and that Gordon had not perfected his interest in the Watchmen project before quitclaiming it to Warner Brothers. In any event, Fox now contends that it presently holds rights in Watchmen and that Warner Brothers’ production of the Watchmen film infringes on those rights.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/urgent-warners-watchmen-in-legal-peril/

megladon8
08-20-2008, 11:45 AM
http://cache.io9.com/assets/images/io9/2008/08/watchmen-babies.jpg

Ivan Drago
08-20-2008, 03:00 PM
http://cache.io9.com/assets/images/io9/2008/08/watchmen-babies.jpg

What episode is that from?

number8
08-20-2008, 09:48 PM

What episode is that from?

It was from last season, with Alan Moore as a guest voice. The one with Jack Black opening a new comic shop across the street from ComicBookGuy's.

megladon8
08-20-2008, 11:19 PM
I love that Alan Moore guest-starred on a TV show that has been awful for years, yet he is disgusted with people trying to do a respectful adaptation of his work.

Maybe when he denies the rights to "Supreme", he'll appear on "Family Guy".

number8
08-21-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm not sure what one has to do with the other.

megladon8
08-21-2008, 03:17 AM
I'm not sure what one has to do with the other.

Well he's had poor dealings with 20th Century Fox before, about handling of his projects (ie. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) so I thought he wouldn't want to do something with them. Plus, it's not like The Simpsons has been very good in the past several years, so if he's concerned with artistic integrity wouldn't he be adverse to being on a show that sold out years ago?

Grouchy
08-21-2008, 03:20 AM
Well he's had poor dealings with 20th Century Fox before, about handling of his projects (ie. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) so I thought he wouldn't want to do something with them. Plus, it's not like The Simpsons has been very good in the past several years, so if he's concerned with artistic integrity wouldn't he be adverse to being on a show that sold out years ago?
It's The Simpsons. Wouldn't you go?

number8
08-21-2008, 03:45 AM

It was never a matter of artistic integrity. He had personal problems with that movie dragging him to court for something he didn't do and a general beef with DC/TimeWarner for not respecting his wishes despite his explicit instructions. Moore doesn't understand why comic books can't stay comic books and why Hollywood has to make movies out of them instead of creating original scripts. Dude, if you don't want anyone adapting your work, isn't that your right?

He's just protective of his own babies. He's not a pompous dick going around saying "This shit isn't good enough for MY involvement." He's never been that way. Heck, the guy never left his childhood hometown and rarely goes to conventions because he hates being treated as "the genius." He was very flattered that Groening asked him to participate.

megladon8
08-21-2008, 03:52 AM
Yes it's definitely your right to not want your work adapted. But if I were him, and I knew my work was going to be adapted regardless of how I felt about it, I would at least try to give my input and help make it the best it can be.

I understand his stance, and it's good to hear that he's not the hermit-like man that a lot of media seems to make him out to be. But it seems like he's being a little self-righteous here. Helping to make a movie version of his own work could be a great job. His story-telling capability is fantastic, and I think he could write really good screen dialogue if he would stop being so negative about it.

The movie corporations are not going away any time soon, and while they're around they'll buy anything and everything that can be adapted and will sell tickets. He might as well use this to his advantage rather than feeling sour.

number8
08-21-2008, 04:37 AM
What advantage is that? He's clearly not interested in reaping cash cows or having a Hollywood career. There's no advantage to be had for him. It's different for people like Mark Millar, BKV or Brian Michael Bendis who are all clearly inspired by movies and all want to make movies. Moore's a literary guy. He wants to be a comic writer and a novelist, and he's doing okay in that career path. Why should he go out of his way to support something he has no interest towards? I don't find that self-righteous at all.

Sure, I'd be singing a different tune if Moore was holding press releases badmouthing his adaptations and urging boycotts from fans, but he didn't. "Don't give me credit, don't use my name to promote the movie and don't give me any money." That's all he asked for. Zack Snyder, for once, respected Moore's wish to not be involved and left him alone (although I really question anyone who has the balls to go against the original author's wishes), and because of that Moore already said that he won't be saying anything bad about it.

Dead & Messed Up
08-21-2008, 04:38 AM
Yes it's definitely your right to not want your work adapted. But if I were him, and I knew my work was going to be adapted regardless of how I felt about it, I would at least try to give my input and help make it the best it can be.

I understand his stance, and it's good to hear that he's not the hermit-like man that a lot of media seems to make him out to be. But it seems like he's being a little self-righteous here. Helping to make a movie version of his own work could be a great job. His story-telling capability is fantastic, and I think he could write really good screen dialogue if he would stop being so negative about it.

The movie corporations are not going away any time soon, and while they're around they'll buy anything and everything that can be adapted and will sell tickets. He might as well use this to his advantage rather than feeling sour.

From what I understand, Alan Moore's perspective on Watchmen makes sense. Watchmen is undeniably a comic book story by a comic book artist that's meant to reference and restructure the established nature of comic books. Translating it to film means that an entire dimension of the experience is lost, since such experimentation loses its context during the translation.

Personally, I have my doubts that Zack Snyder will do anything with the material to give it some sort of equal commentary on the formal nature of action/superhero cinema.

Do I wish Alan Moore were more involved? Absolutely. It's his baby. But I wouldn't really call him stubborn. I think he simply has no interest.

Sxottlan
08-21-2008, 09:07 AM
Here's Alan Moore's scene from that episode of The Simpsons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prwpOgXNRhY&feature=related

"Hey teacup! Why don't you chill out?"

megladon8
08-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Wow, I did not expect Alan Moore to sound like that.

number8
08-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Yeah, it's actually become such a cliche for magazine interviews of him to always start with the reporter describing the contrast between how he looks and how warm, humorous and friendly he is when he speaks.

Duncan
08-21-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm pretty sure I remember a quote from Alan Moore bashing V for Vendetta when it was released. Not that I feel like looking for it or backing up that claim.

Raiders
08-21-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm pretty sure I remember a quote from Alan Moore bashing V for Vendetta when it was released. Not that I feel like looking for it or backing up that claim.

I think he would have stayed quiet had Joel Silver and the Wachowskis not lied about receiving his endorsement for their film. He did then go on to complain about the film's plot holes and the addition of the "eggy in a basket," which according to wikipedia he felt was a terribly lame attempt by American filmmakers to sound more British.

But yes, he did somewhat rag on that film.

number8
08-21-2008, 06:30 PM
I think he would have stayed quiet had Joel Silver and the Wachowskis not lied about receiving his endorsement for their film.

That baffled me. What a dick move on their part. I remember seeing the press conference and when Silver said that I immediately went, "BULL. SHIT."

MadMan
08-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Here's Alan Moore's scene from that episode of The Simpsons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prwpOgXNRhY&feature=related

"Hey teacup! Why don't you chill out?"Man that was pretty hilarious. I remember watching most of that episode. I think its one of the few new ones I've actually bothered to see.

megladon8
08-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Yeah, it's actually become such a cliche for magazine interviews of him to always start with the reporter describing the contrast between how he looks and how warm, humorous and friendly he is when he speaks.

No, that's not what I meant.

I mean the actually sound of his voice is not at all what I expected. Incredibly deep and full.

MadMan
08-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Uh-oh!

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/urgent-warners-watchmen-in-legal-peril/So does this mean that the film might not come out? I sure hope that doesn't end up being the case. The film at worse will still be a spectaular, interesting failure, and at best it will be beyond amazing. Either way if it is released on time I will be seeing it.

EyesWideOpen
08-22-2008, 12:48 PM
The film will most definitely come out it just means theirs some red tape to go through first.

Fezzik
08-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Unrelated to the MOVIE, but still..

I went to the local comics and games store I frequent yesterday with the sole intention of finally buying Watchmen and reading it.

And Brian, the owner, does these things called "secret daily specials" that you can only find out if you come into the store and if you ask, so I asked him.

"Oh, today? All Trade paperback graphic novels are 25% off."

"Wow...really?"

:pritch:

D_Davis
08-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Have you guys seen The Mindscape Of Alan Moore?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxUP5BQHRE8

The entire thing used to be available online, but it looks like they took it down. Now it's on DVD.

Pretty interesting.

I found it interesting that color was one of the main things that drew him the world of comic books as a child. Growing up in an industrial part of England, he was constantly surrounded by drab, lifeless color, and the bright 4-color pages used in comic books were like an escape for him.

Grouchy
08-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Unrelated to the MOVIE, but still..

I went to the local comics and games store I frequent yesterday with the sole intention of finally buying Watchmen and reading it.

And Brian, the owner, does these things called "secret daily specials" that you can only find out if you come into the store and if you ask, so I asked him.

"Oh, today? All Trade paperback graphic novels are 25% off."

"Wow...really?"

:pritch:
If you don't ask, does he still give you the discount? If you hadn't asked and brought Watchmen to the desk anyway?

And the movie will definitively come out, the budget just went a little over the roof.

number8
08-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Have you guys seen The Mindscape Of Alan Moore?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxUP5BQHRE8

The entire thing used to be available online, but it looks like they took it down. Now it's on DVD.

Pretty interesting.

I found it interesting that color was one of the main things that drew him the world of comic books as a child. Growing up in an industrial part of England, he was constantly surrounded by drab, lifeless color, and the bright 4-color pages used in comic books were like an escape for him.

Yeah, I've asked for a review copy from the distrib. I'm really looking forward to it.

Dead & Messed Up
09-07-2008, 06:24 AM
Well, I just finished reading the script.

I won't go in detail, but I will say two things. It's better than I thought it would be, but it's not replacing the graphic novel anytime soon.

Skitch
09-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Just tell me there is squidy...

Ivan Drago
09-09-2008, 04:29 AM
Just tell me there is squidy...

There was a squid in Watchmen?

Did I miss something? :confused:

EDIT: Oh the court date for the lawsuit has been set: January 6th. (http://www.movieweb.com/news/96/30996.php) I still think this'll be settled by then.

megladon8
09-09-2008, 06:36 AM
There was a squid in Watchmen?

Did I miss something? :confused:

:|

Did you even read it?

Skitch
09-09-2008, 10:44 AM

Did you even read it?

Thank god...for a moment there...I thought I lost my mind.

Ivan Drago
09-09-2008, 05:30 PM

Did you even read it?

Yeah I did...wait I think I remember now. Never mind.

Ivan Drago
09-28-2008, 12:22 AM
So do you guys think this movie will still come out? I ask because of the legal problems the movie is in.