PDA

View Full Version : Qrazy Rates Upcoming Films

Qrazy
02-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Name the upcoming film and I'll rate it. Who needs to actually see a film to know how good it is? Not me, that's who. I'll probably later compare these ratings with my actual ratings to see how they stack up.

http://www.historycommons.org/events-images/a136_terror_alert_system_20500 81722-16697.jpg

Sycophant
02-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Hey, Qrazy! Nice thread! I could use some information on what to think about sexy new Nicolas Cage vehicle, Knowing.

Ivan Drago
02-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Hannah Montana: The Movie

Dukefrukem
02-20-2009, 01:21 AM
Transformers 2

Qrazy
02-20-2009, 01:34 AM
Hey, Qrazy! Nice thread! I could use some information on what to think about sexy new Nicolas Cage vehicle, Knowing.

Thanks man!

Well Knowing is directed by Alex Proyas so we know it will be a relatively visually competent film. However it has four writers almost all of which are amateurs and who seem to have managed to concoct amongst themselves one of the singular worst premises of all time. Based on Cage's other recent output I'd rate this film a solid D+.

I'd probably DVD most Proyas films but this looks to be by far his worst. Anticipation at NTA green.

Qrazy
02-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Hannah Montana: The Movie

This film will make the viewer want to obliterate their own existence while watching it.

Qrazy's Rating: Suicide.

NTA: Black

Ivan Drago
02-20-2009, 06:29 AM
Public Enemies

Derek
02-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Can you add to your pre-rating of the film an additional rating of your level of anticipation of said film? Perhaps using the Homeland Security Advisory System colors as indicators?

Qrazy
02-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Transformers 2

This movie will be stupid but provide mildly enjoyable eye candy. The eye candy will also be bigger and better than before. It will be casually enjoyable popcorn entertainment and as long as you're able to ignore the hollow emotional core underneath. It deserves a C.

My anticipation for the film is NTA blue. I will see it eventually and if my friends convince me perhaps even in theaters.

Qrazy
02-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Public Enemies

It's Michael Mann. It has a solid cast, a fun premise and for some reason Billy Crudup plays J Edgar Hoover. Furthermore Mann is reteaming with cinematographer Dante Spinotti for the first time since The Insider. This teaming also produced Heat and these two films are the best Mann has to offer in my mind. Unfortunately none of the writers have particularly distinguished themselves and if history has shown us anything with Mann it's that when he stumbles it has more to do with script issues than with his direction. Then again Mann did take some role in the Public Enemies screenplay and he wrote Heat so the script concerns may not be too large. However he also wrote Miami Vice so the script concerns are now reinstated. This film will be better than American Gangster and Miami Vice. However it will not be as good as Heat or The Insider. But it will be a top five Mann film. I give this film a B for script issues and other minor quibbles.

I really enjoy Mann's best films and I love a good gangster flick however I was underwhelmed to varying degrees with Miami Vice and Collateral (moreso with Vice) so my anticipation of the film is only at NTA Orange.

MadMan
02-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Watchmen

Qrazy
02-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Watchmen

Snyder's track record has been lackluster but he does have an eye for visuals... in the very broad sense of the term... however, the slickness of his visuals detracts somewhat from the films success on a thematic level. Some scenes work admirably, others don't make the transition from graphic novel to cinema as successfully. Snyder's drama needs work. This film earns a C+.

Anticipation level at NTA yellow.

re-edit: Changed my initial grade back since what's the point if I can change my gradings.

Dukefrukem
02-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Super Capers (http://www.match-cut.org/showthread.php?t=1890)

Robby P
02-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Tree of Life

Qrazy
02-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Super Capers (http://www.match-cut.org/showthread.php?t=1890)

This film will be utterly worthless but so disposable that it isn't worth rating too harshly. It receives a D.

Anticipation NTA green.

Qrazy
02-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Tree of Life

I feel Days of Heaven represents the pinnacle of Malick's career and while I'm less enthusiastic about his latter career approach towards shooting total coverage followed by editorial distillation, he's still an incredibly strong filmmaker. However, The Tree of Life premise borders on pretension and I find Malick's internal monologues to be one of his weaker stylistic tics. In spite of this the film will ultimately succeed but these gripes will keep me from giving it full points. It receives an A-.

Anticipation NTA Red.

lovejuice
02-21-2009, 12:04 AM
This movie will be stupid but provide mildly enjoyable eye candy. The eye candy will also be bigger and better than before. It will be casually enjoyable popcorn entertainment and as long as you're able to ignore the hollow emotional core underneath. It deserves a C.

what do you think of the rumor that shia labeouf and megan fox are both strong contenders for the 2010 oscar?

Qrazy
02-21-2009, 12:31 AM
what do you think of the rumor that shia labeouf and megan fox are both strong contenders for the 2010 oscar?

I think that's most likely a fabrication, a conspiracy or both.

MadMan
02-21-2009, 12:54 AM
Snyder's track record has been lackluster but he does have an eye for visuals... in the very broad sense of the term... however, the slickness of his visuals detracts somewhat from the films success on a thematic level. Some scenes work admirably, others don't make the transition from graphic novel to cinema as successfully. Snyder's sense of the dramatic still needs work. This film earns a C+.

Anticipation level at NTA yellow.If the film even manages to be as good as a C+ or higher I will be satisfied, as I am not expecting a masterpiece, having actually read the graphic novel.

Qrazy
02-21-2009, 01:25 AM
If the film even manages to be as good as a C+ or higher I will be satisfied, as I am not expecting a masterpiece, having actually read the graphic novel.

I think it will probably be Snyder's best film and the best Moore adaptation to date but still lacking in certain respects.

Ezee E
02-21-2009, 04:27 AM

Ivan Drago
02-21-2009, 07:38 AM
The Informant

Qrazy
02-21-2009, 04:44 PM

Aliens, The Abyss and the Terminators are all solid films. However I'm less enthusiastic about True Lies and while Titanic has moments of excellence it also has a hell of a lot of problems. So bearing in mind that those were Cameron's most recent films and then he took ten years off of narrative filmmaking my expectations for this new film are somewhat tempered. In spite of this it is with sci-fi that Cameron most excels and it's not as if he hasn't been playing around with cameras in the interim. Mauro Fiore as DP doesn't really excite me but Cameron tends to carry much of that weight by himself anyway. I predict a very good sci-fi with some incredible 3D usage but with the above factors weighing against I am not anticipating an Aliens or Terminator 2 level film. This film is a B+.

Anticipation NTA orange.

Qrazy
02-21-2009, 04:47 PM
The Informant

I used to think I was a big fan of Soderbergh. I've since come to realize I'm kind of not. This film will be in the upper middle-tier of his filmography and as such will garner a B-.

Anticipation NTA yellow.

Qrazy
06-30-2009, 05:30 AM
Looks like I was semi-right about Watchmen. Although I have more pointed criticisms now. I'd probably give it a C or C- rather than a C+.

Looks like I was wrong about Tranformers 2 but I don't have any interest in watching it to find out.

---

Throw me some more.

trotchky
06-30-2009, 05:39 AM
Funny People (Judd Apatow, 2009)

trotchky
06-30-2009, 05:46 AM
Or if you'd prefer, Inglorious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino, also 2009)

Qrazy
06-30-2009, 05:53 AM
Funny People (Judd Apatow, 2009)

While attempting to be dramatic and touching the film loses some of it's funny. It is still Apatow's best film. I rate it a C+.

Anticipation NTA Blue.

Qrazy
06-30-2009, 05:57 AM
Or if you'd prefer, Inglorious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino, also 2009)

Poor casting and mediocre performances from many of The Basterds undermines this film. The film's general approach to humanity and WWII further undermines it. It still packs a punch and a number of sequences leave a lasting impression. Unfortunately though it's Tarantino's worst film. I rate it a C.

Anticipation NTA Yellow.

Milky Joe
06-30-2009, 05:58 AM
Whatever Works

Qrazy
06-30-2009, 06:08 AM
Whatever Works

Finally Allen makes another comedy! To middling success. Unfortunately we've been here done that and while David adds his own spice to the proceedings the film never really takes off and frequently falls back into well tread formula. In terms of laughs per minute this still doesn't touch Allen's early work (Bananas, Take the Money and Run, Sleeper, Zelig). In terms of drama and aesthetic it doesn't come close to matching his greatest films (Manhattan, Annie Hall, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Hannah and Her Sisters). It's much better than the majority of his new Millennium films but a lower middle tier effort overall. I give this a C+.

Anticipation NTA Yellow.

soitgoes...
06-30-2009, 08:09 AM
9?

ContinentalOp
06-30-2009, 08:28 AM
500 Days of Summer?

B-side
06-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Antichrist
Nine
Enter the Void