PDA

View Full Version : Fanboys (Newman, 2008)

Dead & Messed Up
02-08-2009, 06:50 AM
Fanboys is one frightening movie. It’s about four lads and one beautiful lady who gear up for a cross-country road trip to see The Phantom Menace before wide release. That goal would suggest that the film is a tragedy, and there are signs that one of the mains might not survive to the end of the journey. Considering the movie they’re all pining for, death might be a mercy.

But let us return to the frightening realities of this movie. The filmmakers have convinced themselves that these fans are people to be admired, not derided, and that their fandom merits our understanding. They mostly focus with the four main characters, who are male, most likely because these filmmakers do not understand women.

In fact, they understand women so little that Kristin Bell, as Zoe, suddenly reveals an enormous attraction to Jay Baruchel’s Windows late in the film. Why is she attracted to him? It’s never explained. Like the rest of the movie, we’re supposed to go along and enjoy ourselves and not question what’s happening with these characters.

But why not? Why not actually have a movie that engages the idea of fanboyism, what it means, its perks, its flaws, how it can trap you, how a piece of art can set you free? Almost Famous is ostensibly about seventies rock, but by the end, it’s about people and their passions and dreams. They speak to what it is that art means to them, sometimes explicitly, sometimes hinted at, as in that perfect final line.

But the Fanboys are unexamined. What do they love about Star Wars? Thanks to the unending stream of reverential winking and nodding, we’re left to assume that it’s merely the sum total of a thousand little things. R2 sounds and Chewbacca growls and Darth Vader’s glowing red eyes. These men don’t love Star Wars. They love the act of loving Star Wars.

The film goes to lengths to hide normal people from its road trip. We encounter Harry Knowles, William Shatner, Star Wars vets, Vegas hookers, and Danny Trejo. Nobody that could be considered typical. The film goes to this trouble because, were any of the main characters to step out of their bubble and get some perspective, the movie would be over. You’d think a subplot about cancer would do exactly that, but instead, Chris Marquette’s Linus, with three months to live, is scaling walls and punching Trekkies.

There’s a line in the film where Eric (Sam Huntington) points out that this road trip is their Death Star, the one great thing they do before they die. It’s a good sentiment, until you step back and notice the two things wrong with such a statement. Firstly, a road trip to steal a film print should not be a person’s ultimate goal in life. Secondly, destroying the Death Star was not the apex of Luke’s journey.

That moment came when Luke cast aside his lightsaber and embraced his father. Remember? It symbolized moving beyond the power of anger, and the possibility of redemption, no matter the circumstances. It’s a lovely, mythic moment that’s perfect for a younger audience. It matters. But now I’ve engaged Star Wars in terms of narrative and emotion.

Don't blame me. Lucas was the one who shoehorned a great story into all those details.

Ezee E
02-08-2009, 12:39 PM
See, the bad thing about this idea is that it could only end up in disappointment once they see the movie.

"We went all that way for that?"

MadMan
02-10-2009, 06:56 AM
I have a small interest in seeing this. But DaMU your review struck me as something Ebert would pen about a rather poor/bad film. Not a good sign.

PS: Also if only The Phantom Menace was worth stealing :lol:

Dukefrukem
02-11-2009, 04:25 AM
I had no idea this existed until this thread and then I went to apple and watched the trailer... if it wasn't for Dead's write up I'd really want to see this for the cameos alone. But now I only sorta want to rent it.

number8
02-11-2009, 04:34 AM
You've never heard of Fanboys?

Dukefrukem
02-11-2009, 02:22 PM
You've never heard of Fanboys?

The movie.

number8
02-11-2009, 06:31 PM
The movie.

Yes, the movie. It's like the Chinese Democracy of movies and it caused a huge internet uproar for the past couple of years. I'm surprised that there are people here who haven't heard about it.

eternity
03-08-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm not that big of a Star Wars fan, I really only like The Empire Strikes Back actually, but this was really quite a terrific movie.

89/100

Dead & Messed Up
03-08-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm not that big of a Star Wars fan, I really only like The Empire Strikes Back actually, but this was really quite a terrific movie.

89/100

:crazy:

;)

Why did you think it terrific? I thought it was depressing and shallow. As far as fanboys go, these losers severely lag behind real fans like Rob Gordon, William Miller, and even Randal from Clerks.

number8
03-09-2009, 12:11 AM
I liked it a lot, too. Take that, DaMU.

Dead & Messed Up
03-09-2009, 12:48 AM
I liked it a lot, too. Take that, DaMU.

Your review avoids explaining why their fanboyism is admirable rather than sad. You encourage the superficiality of their passion.

Take that.

number8
03-09-2009, 02:38 AM
You encourage the superficiality of their passion.

Yes. I think it's a good thing.

http://www.britmusicscene.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/mrpphotos218013-boy-band-take-that-robbie-williams-reunion_nc.jpg

Mal
03-09-2009, 03:01 AM
I can't watching anything starring Sam Huntington, cause one of my friends years ago went to high school with him. And she said he basically took his Jungle 2 Jungle money and used it for coke.

eternity
03-09-2009, 03:20 AM
I can't watching anything starring Sam Huntington, cause one of my friends years ago went to high school with him. And she said he basically took his Jungle 2 Jungle money and used it for coke.I just put it together that they're the same person. Damn.

eternity
03-09-2009, 03:22 AM
:crazy:

;)

Why did you think it terrific? I thought it was depressing and shallow. As far as fanboys go, these losers severely lag behind real fans like Rob Gordon, William Miller, and even Randal from Clerks.
Everything about it was very much authentic, the dialogue is really sharp and all of the humor hits very well. I really am not a fan of the whole road trip film that is done so often, and I just watched Sex Drive which is similar in a lot of ways, but Fanboys does it all so much better.

Mal
03-09-2009, 03:30 AM
Everything about it was very much authentic, the dialogue is really sharp and all of the humor hits very well. I really am not a fan of the whole road trip film that is done so often, and I just watched Sex Drive which is similar in a lot of ways, but Fanboys does it all so much better.
Now, if you will (for my amusement)... compare this movie to Comté d'Orange.

eternity
03-09-2009, 04:16 AM
Now, if you will (for my amusement)... compare this movie to Comté d'Orange.
I don't even think this warrants a response.

The Mike
05-20-2009, 03:01 AM
I really liked this one. I can see the reasoning in regard to finding the characters' journey condemnable, but I kept thinking back to when I was 21-22 years old and didn't have any greater ambition than continuing to see 115ish films in the theater each year. And I probably couldn't have told you why, I just knew it was what I wanted to do, because it's what I related the good times and good relationships in my life to.

If the younger, carefree, cinematically driven me wanted an adventure back then, I'd want it to look kinda like this one did. In that regard, as a reminder of the impact we dream our adolescent loves will have in our lives, I think the movie succeeds entirely.