PDA

View Full Version : Robert Rodriguez' "Predators"

megladon8
01-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Since this is from Bloody Disgusting I suppose it should be taken with a grain of salt, but I think we have enough Predator fans 'round these here parts to warrant mentioning this.

Robert Rodriguez' production company (Troublemaker Studios) is apparently rebooting the "Predator" franchise. (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/15106)

The script follows a team of marines who come up against "a mysterious race of vicious monsters".

MadMan
01-30-2009, 08:18 PM
No. Just no. Predator is one of the best movies of the 80s. Its awesomeness will never be duplicated. 'Tis a fool's errand to try.

Ivan Drago
01-30-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm starting to wonder if any of these remakes or reboots will ever come to fruition, or just fade away like Ridley Scott producing Monopoly: The Movie.

Dukefrukem
01-30-2009, 08:32 PM
no way....

Dead & Messed Up
01-30-2009, 08:42 PM
::sighs::

Sycophant
01-30-2009, 08:55 PM
I've been wondering what Robert Rodriguez has been up to.

~or~

WAILWAILWAILGNASHGNASHGNASH
OHFUCKMYPCHILDHOODYOUSOULLESSB ASTARDSSHIT

EvilShoe
01-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Robert Rodriguez is a really boring director.

[ETM]
01-30-2009, 09:36 PM
Predator needs no reboot. Just... do a third film, without Xenomorphs, with an original premise if you have to, but don't touch the first film. Hell, even Danny Glover kicking Predator ass is better than a reboot.

Ezee E
01-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Rodriguez is busy with other things. I don't think this is true.

Ivan Drago
01-30-2009, 11:19 PM

Yup. Sin City 2 goes into production in May, and there's talk that he'll do Machete afterwards.

Kurosawa Fan
01-31-2009, 01:56 AM

Does it say he'll direct? I thought they were just saying that his production company is developing it. I just skimmed the article because frankly, I don't really care, but that was the impression I got.

Ezee E
01-31-2009, 07:36 AM
Does it say he'll direct? I thought they were just saying that his production company is developing it. I just skimmed the article because frankly, I don't really care, but that was the impression I got.
Ah, maybe so. That'd make more sense.

EvilShoe
01-31-2009, 08:25 AM
Robert Rodriguez is a really boring producer.

Morris Schæffer
01-31-2009, 11:00 AM
And a really boring chef also. His cuisine is, according to some, not quite as haute as ol Robbie would lead you to believe.

Dukefrukem
01-31-2009, 03:33 PM

really? I thought Planet Terror was fun as hell. As was Sin City for a bit and From Dusk Till Dawn.

MadMan
01-31-2009, 08:48 PM
I've been wondering what Robert Rodriguez has been up to.

~or~

WAILWAILWAILGNASHGNASHGNASH
OHFUCKMYPCHILDHOODYOUSOULLESSB ASTARDSSHITBut I've seen the movie twice more since I was a kid, and I loved it both times. So its not like he's raping my childhood or anything :P

Oh and Predator 2 was a good movie also. Danny Glover v. the Pred was pretty badass, and it had Gary Busey being crazy as usual.

[ETM]
01-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Oh and Predator 2 was a good movie also. Danny Glover v. the Pred was pretty badass, and it had Gary Busey being crazy as usual.

Busey was great, but the film was horribly edited, slows to a crawl in the middle, Glover was totally miscast, and the film is saved by the ending, which, for me, hinted at a cool Predator mythos that could have been explored in something more worthwhile than those Alien crossovers.

Dukefrukem
01-31-2009, 09:43 PM
;135234']Busey was great, but the film was horribly edited, slows to a crawl in the middle, Glover was totally miscast, and the film is saved by the ending, which, for me, hinted at a cool Predator mythos that could have been explored in something more worthwhile than those Alien crossovers.

That ending was awesome. Esp seeing the 'Alien' skull.

Fezzik
02-01-2009, 02:50 AM
This is asinine.

There is absolutely NO NEED to reboot the Predator franchise. The original still stands as one of the best pure actioners ever made.

The Mike
02-01-2009, 02:56 AM
If Stephen Hopkins and Danny Glover can make an LA Vice Predator flick entertaining, there's no reason this couldn't be as much.

I won't pass judgement till it hit theaters...or at least the trailer hits. And considering that'll probably never happen, I'll just continue to sit here and be unaffected.

transmogrifier
02-01-2009, 03:40 AM
If Stephen Hopkins and Danny Glover can make an LA Vice Predator flick entertaining, there's no reason this couldn't be as much.

I won't pass judgement till it hit theaters...or at least the trailer hits. And considering that'll probably never happen, I'll just continue to sit here and be unaffected.

I'm not going to pass judgement till I've read the script, read AICN's seven-part set visit, seen an exclusive 35 minute preview at some geek festival, played the video game and read the graphic novel prequel tie-in.

Scar
02-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Hopefully it'll be entertaining. Love the first one, entertained by the second one, and actually enjoy AvP: Requiem.

If its a borderline remake, then I want every goddamned Marine to die, 'cause none of them will be as badass as the boys in the original.

Morris Schæffer
06-13-2009, 01:34 PM
More news from your buddy Morris:

Brit director Neil Marshall is in close talks to direct Robert Rodriguez' remount of the Predator franchise, according to a "100% reliable source" at Bloody Disgusting.

To be clear, the contract is not yet signed over at Fox, but BD certainly seem confident that this is a done deal.

Marshall's pedigree is chequered: when he's good he's very very good (The Descent), but when he's bad he's rotten (Doomsday). Predators certainly seems to fit with his modus operandi though, since all four of his films so far have been based around a team of characters under siege: by werewolves in Dog Soldiers; cave trolls in The Descent; Doomsday's futurepunks; and the Picts in the forthcoming Centurion. Seems like he's been building towards Stan Winston's mandible-faced huntsmen his entire career!

Producer Rodriguez earlier this week denied rumours that he'd approached Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger for a role in the movie, which is currently pitched somewhere between a threequel, a prequel and a remake. Maybe Danny Glover will be available instead.

The Mike
06-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Yeah, this just became one of my most anticipated movies. Best director working right now.

MadMan
06-14-2009, 04:53 AM
Okay, that's an interesting and must welcomed bit of news. Even though I've, um, never seen any of Marshall's films before *Runs*

eternity
06-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Okay, that's an interesting and must welcomed bit of news. Even though I've, um, never seen any of Marshall's films before *Runs*

You really need to get on The Descent immediately, sir.

trotchky
06-15-2009, 08:07 PM

I was about to say Domino was pretty interesting but then I remembered Tony Scott directed that. Yeah, Robert Rodriguez sucks.

Skitch
06-15-2009, 08:23 PM
You're all incorrect about a few things...mainly RR's directing, producing, and cooking.

Skitch
06-15-2009, 08:24 PM
I was about to say Domino was pretty interesting but then I remembered Tony Scott directed that. Yeah, Robert Rodriguez sucks.

*rereads*

:confused:

*rereads again*

:confused:!

trotchky
06-16-2009, 04:14 AM
*rereads*

:confused:

*rereads again*

:confused:!
Sin City and Planet Terror are his only films I've seen recently enough to really comment on but neither have the flair or dynamism of any single scene in Domino. They're deadweight.

EyesWideOpen
06-16-2009, 05:19 AM
I'll take Sin City, Desperado or Once Upon a Time in Mexico over anything Tony Scott has ever done.

trotchky
06-16-2009, 05:43 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Tony Scott either, I just think Robert Rodriguez is really awful.

number8
06-16-2009, 05:43 AM
*looks at Rodriguez IMDB*

*looks at Scott IMDB*

Welp. Stalemate there. Tony Scott wins by True Romance.

Grouchy
06-16-2009, 10:48 AM
I always wondered why they never made a third Predator film, seeing as I still really like the second one.

Neil Marshall directing it would be glorious.

Skitch
06-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Tony Scotts only really awesome movies to me are True Romance, Spy Games, and the beginning of the downhill Man On Fire. Whereas I've enjoyed everything RR has made in some capacity, well, the adult stuff, and Spy Kids 1 & 2. Don't know about that Sharkboy flick...haven't seen that one.

KK2.0
06-17-2009, 10:59 PM
This is asinine.

There is absolutely NO NEED to reboot the Predator franchise. The original still stands as one of the best pure actioners ever made.

And miss the opportunity of making money? your talking crazy :crazy:

After watchng 20 minutes of gameplay from the new Aliens vs Predator game today, i was actually pumped for a new Predator movie.

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/pc/games/158877.Aliens-vs.-Predator/videos/133291.20090605.Aliens-vs.-Predator/

chances of being better than the film are high, i'm afraid...

Morris Schæffer
06-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Is Neil Marshall out?

El Mayimbe over at Latino Review is saying that a new frontrunner has possibly overtaken Neil Marshall in the race to direct 20th Century Fox’s totally necessary Predator remake/sequel/reboot/shameless cash-in, Predators.

And that frontrunner is the American-born, Hungarian-raised Nimrod Antal, the only director in the world named after a Green Day album.

El Mayimbe is saying that Antal, who came to prominence with the dark comedy, Kontroll, in 2003, but who last directed the functional thriller, Vacancy, has jumped to the top of a list of seven directors that Fox and producer Robert Rodriguez are considering for the gig.

Marshall was being pretty strongly tipped for the post last week, but there’s no word on whether he wasn’t offered the job, or if he passed. Either way, he seems to have dodged a bullet, for the eventual director of Predators is surely onto a hiding-to-nothing.

Antal, for example, will be subject to rigorous fanboy scrutiny if he gets the job, with many pointing out that nothing on his CV, with the possible exception of his upcoming heist thriller Armored, that indicates that he can handle an effects-heavy tentpole, other than a predilection for films with one-word titles.

Then again, if this were 1986 and we were reporting on a young turk called John McTiernan taking the director’s chair on a movie called Predator, you could say much the same thing. So let’s give Antal – if he is indeed the chosen one – a chance.

Apart from that, little is known about Predators, other than Rodriguez will produce and Alex Litvak will write the script. Oh, and there’ll be more than one Predator...

But with a release date set for next year, it looks like Fox will have to get a move on, so expect to hear something concrete in the coming weeks.

Ezee E
07-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Looks like it's comfirmed that it's Nimrod Antel. Not bad. He did the rather good Kontroll and surprisingly good Vacancy. Both low-budget.

transmogrifier
07-03-2009, 10:55 PM
*looks at Rodriguez IMDB*

*looks at Scott IMDB*

Welp. Stalemate there. Tony Scott wins by True Romance.

All of these Scott movies are better than Roderiguez' best movie (Planet Terror):

Crimson Tide
Spy Game
Enemy of the State
Deja Vu
The Last Boy Scout

Sven
07-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Spy Game is so stupid. It's crafty at times, but boy is it lacking in smarts.

Scar
07-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Spy Game is so stupid. It's crafty at times, but boy is it lacking in smarts.

I quite enjoy Spy Game.

Pop Trash
07-04-2009, 09:21 PM
All of these Scott movies are better than Roderiguez' best movie (Planet Terror):

Crimson Tide
Spy Game
Enemy of the State
Deja Vu
The Last Boy Scout

Aw hells naw!

transmogrifier
07-05-2009, 07:03 AM
I quite enjoy Spy Game.

Right with ya on that one.

The Mike
07-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Right with ya on that one.
Thirdified.

Skitch
07-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Spy Games is probably his best movie, with the exception of maybe True Romance.

Sycophant
07-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Really, the point is that I'll see Rodriguez's Shorts before I see Scott's The Taking of Pellham 1 2 3.

Morris Schæffer
07-06-2009, 03:33 PM
a really cool Rodriguez interview:

from aint it cool:

The first question I would have is this. Why didn't you take the reins on PREDATORS?

When I was hired to write the original draft back in 1994, i was only brought on as a writer. I never thought I'd get to work on it in any other capacity. So a few months ago, when Alex Young at Fox contacted me about re-inventing the franchise using my original draft as a template for getting as far away as possible from the AVP movies, I jumped on it. It's hard to be just a writer on a picture, because you write in some of your really great ideas, and then off they go to someone else and you have no real involvement after that. I was already booked up as a director when this came back to me, but I still wanted to have a hand in making it. So I lobbied to have the movie done through my studios so I could oversee it in a stronger position than a producer usually takes on. Alex came down and saw Troublemaker Studios, and the facilities and crew that I've built up over the past 12 years, and he felt right away that this is where the movie should be made and that doing it down here would be the best way to protect it from the studio system. He was keen on making a very "non-studio" picture.

So I'll be taking a more upfront role as a producer than would normally be the case in Hollywood.

I loved Nimrod Antal's KONTROLL - I thought VACANCY was, well atypical of the problematic work of Screen Gems and I know you've seen ARMORED. What was it about Antal's work that made him leap out to you as being the director of PREDATORS?

First of all, on a personal level I found him to be an outstanding presence, a great communicator full of ideas, and upon meeting him you can immediately understand how he is able to wrangle cast and crew and get the best out of everyone. I always loved Kontroll, where he proved himself to be a very resourceful and original filmmaker. When I saw Armored, I could tell he's also great with action and has a keen eye for casting. He reminded me of Quentin with how he was able to work with a group of very strong, singular actor talents and make it look effortless. I know he'll be able to get the most out of what we want to be an outstanding cast. We really want to go with a character driven action movie, because that's what we all remember about the original Predator, and we want to take it even further with this.

Your original PREDATORS treatment back in the day was a very large scale production. At what scale are we looking at for this movie? How big is this going to be?

The original PREDATORS script was large scale, because as a writer I didn't have to worry about how it would be made. I didn't care it was 1994, and that the majority of the movie wasn't even technically possible at the time. As far as I was concerned, that was going to be the filmmakers job. I just had to write a cool script.
Well, now it's come back to haunt me, but good news is that a lot of this (and a hell of a lot more) is doable today. We'll have to be cutting edge to pull it off, but that's what makes it exciting for us, and will be the challenge in bringing this to screaming life.

Will PREDATORS be shooting in AUSTIN at Troublemaker Studios?

Yes. Any stagework will be done here, and to take advantage of the new Texas incentive program, we'll need to shoot at least 60% of the movie in Texas. So sorry, Harry, you're gonna be tripping over predators this fall.

I know that Berger & Kurtzman worked on the original PREDATOR - and you've been a long time supporter of KNB, but Stan Winston's company is generally the company one thinks of when they think PREDATOR. Have y'all lined up a practical visual effects company yet and can we know who?

I think I'd put it the other way around, KNB has been a long time supporter of mine. They've always been there for me with scotch tape and popsicle sticks (cause that's all i could afford) to make my movies work, so I can't wait to finally give them a real budget to make some really kick ass creatures. And we know we don't want to go crutching on CG for this, so I need people I can count on and that I know will go the extra hundred miles to deliver. Nicotero and crew will be more than up to the task.

Give us a quick rundown on the planned story we're going to be getting, because PREDATORS - as you told me the first time we talked about this project, was always meant to be what ALIENS was to ALIEN. How do you and Antal beat McTiernan and Arnold?

I can't go too much into the story right now, because we're still writing. But it still involves a very intense group of people stranded on a Predator planet discovering unspeakable horrors (that are not always from outside their group). So like the original movie, the title does have a double meaning.
Aliens was a different take on the Alien idea, and an original movie in it's own right, and that's what we want to do with this.

As to how this movie will be viewed, one of the guys at Fox told me "No one is ever going to talk about AVP again after this film, I will stake my life on it."

And he's a really nice guy, so I don't want to see him dead. Now that lives are at stake, it's no longer a job it's a mission.

Failure is not an option.

What do you see your process as being as Producer of this film?

So far working with my writers and director doesn't feel very different than my collaboration on Sin City, working with Frank Miller and Quentin. It's one for all and all for one.

Lastly, is it possible to make a truly badass film at FOX?

I won't really know until I make a movie there. This movie is being made at Troublemaker Studios.

But I'm not sure I'm down on the environs of this movie, namely the Predator homeworld. It'll mean we're gonna get myriads of them running around and perhaps that will lessen the awesome, nearly unstoppable, force that was just one of them in the 1987 McTiernan version. They will become cannon fodder in other words although Cameron's Aliens proved abundantly that my fears could well prove unfounded.

Grouchy
07-06-2009, 06:12 PM
But I'm not sure I'm down on the environs of this movie, namely the Predator homeworld. It'll mean we're gonna get myriads of them running around and perhaps that will lessen the awesome, nearly unstoppable, force that was just one of them in the 1987 McTiernan version. They will become cannon fodder in other words although Cameron's Aliens proved abundantly that my fears could well prove unfounded.
Yeah, but Cameron's Aliens features a highly trained military group that is at least to an extent aware that they're gonna fight monsters, and they still suffer a lot of casualties. I'd hate them if they turned Predators into cannon fodder like Terminator: Salvation did with the robots.

Everything Rodriguez says makes it sound really cool, though. I'll have to rent Kontroll and Vacancy. By the way, he doesn't outright say it, but I have the feeling both reporter and producer are deliberately avoiding talk about Predator 2. Since I've heard bad opinions on it before, what's you guys take on it? I know I like it almost as much as the original.

Dukefrukem
07-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Yeah, but Cameron's Aliens features a highly trained military group that is at least to an extent aware that they're gonna fight monsters, and they still suffer a lot of casualties. I'd hate them if they turned Predators into cannon fodder like Terminator: Salvation did with the robots.

In Terminator's defense. They were early versions of Terminators.

Grouchy
07-06-2009, 06:19 PM
In Terminator's defense. They were early versions of Terminators.
But they're still very easy to kill with just a bunch of common bullets.

Dukefrukem
07-06-2009, 06:35 PM

Well in the 1990s they were hard to kill with common bullets. You don't know what kind of bullets they are using in 2018.

Grouchy
07-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Well in the 1990s they were hard to kill with common bullets. You don't know what kind of bullets they are using in 2018.
But if Judgment Day happened in 2003, then mankind would not have been organized or equiped enough to keep advancing technology at the speed they used to. The machines would logically have evolved a lot faster since they were ruling the planet.

Sorry. Nerd alert.

The Mike
07-06-2009, 10:26 PM

Nah, Common wasn't even in that scene.

[/rimshot]

Ivan Drago
07-07-2009, 04:19 AM
Looks like it's comfirmed that it's Nimrod Antel. Not bad. He did the rather good Kontroll and surprisingly good Vacancy. Both low-budget.

I feel bad for that guy. Who names their kid Nimrod?

number8
07-07-2009, 07:18 AM
I feel bad for that guy. Who names their kid Nimrod?

It's apparently a pretty common Hungarian name.

Morris Schæffer
07-07-2009, 10:39 AM

Isn't it kinda ironic how the titular monsters in Aliens, for all intents and purposes animals, appear smarter than the robots in Terminator: Salvation? Fuck A.I.

That amubush scene in the 1986 film, where they're coming outta the goddamn walls, is the kind of thing Rodriguez and Antal should be gunning for. Make these predators incredibly cunning, viciously effective.

Dukefrukem
07-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Good news? (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2009/07/robert-rodriguez-has-a-crazy-intense-script-for-his-predator-revival.html)

Predators" will be shot in his home state of Texas on a lean budget and so far removed from Hollywood that it is doesn't get run through the often bruising machinery of the studio.

transmogrifier
07-12-2009, 09:24 AM
This is my post.

(a) I have seen the original Predator
(b) I have an opinion on it. However, I feel it may be too negative to be released at this time. Therefore I offer this picture of a cute baby animal:

http://afeatheradrift.files.wordpress .com/2009/03/baby-animals.jpg
I have nothing negative to say about this rabbit. It seems to be a very good rabbit.
(c) I have an opinion on Robert Roderiguez. Again, I am aware that some people like his films, and thus I will refrain from continuing in this destructive, disgusting vein. Instead, I offer you all lottery numbers for next week:
12, 26, 31, 33, 37, 40
(d) To provide welcome balance, I must say I enjoyed Carl Weathers in that delightful sitcom Arrested Development
(e) I welcome your feedback and value your opinions as well

This is the end of my post.

Skitch
07-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Die baby animal, die.

Grouchy
07-12-2009, 08:50 PM
The Predator(s) would probably gore up that rabbit pretty fast.

Dead & Messed Up
07-13-2009, 12:10 AM
The Predator(s) would probably gore up that rabbit pretty fast.

The Predator has a respect for bunnies. As his hunt for human prey is relentless, so is their search for delicious leafy greens.

Skitch
07-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Predator 3: Predator Versus Rabbit From Holy Grail

Grouchy
07-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Predator 3: Predator Versus Rabbit From Holy Grail
Killer Bunny destroys Predators, Aliens and Lance Henriksen!

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080411/animals/Monty-Python-rabbit_l.jpg

megladon8
07-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Video interview with Robert Rodriguez from ComicCon (http://www.collider.com/2009/07/30/exclusive-robert-rodriguez-video-interview-predators-and-machete-at-comic-con/).

So according to him, 20th Century Fox has given him complete artistic freedom to make the movie the way he wants it made.

Ivan Drago
08-02-2009, 01:41 AM
So according to him, 20th Century Fox has given him complete artistic freedom to make the movie the way he wants it made.

This and Shorts over Machete and Sin City 2???

Rodriguez is turning into Tarantino.

number8
10-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Adrien Brody and Topher Grace cast as leads.

One day, those two will become Governors.

Morris Schæffer
10-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Adrien Brody and Topher Grace cast as leads.

One day, those two will become Governors.

Who cares? It has Shane Vendrell from The Shield as well!!! :)

Dukefrukem
10-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Who cares? It has Shane Vendrell from The Shield as well!!! :)

His teeth scare me.

Morris Schæffer
10-08-2009, 10:37 AM
His teeth scare me.

They're unquestionably xenomorph-y.

Morris Schæffer
12-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Helmer Nimrod Antal talks:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=61200

Morris Schæffer
01-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Check out these set pics:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fhe06buvcr 8jc5h3edjl5ttom3&topic=27957.0

Spotted: Brody, Shane from The Shield.

number8
01-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Those predators look like bobbleheads.

[ETM]
01-17-2010, 04:01 PM
There should be camera software for the iPhone that detects what is being recorded, and instead of taking the picture, displays a warning: "Go get a real camera instead."

megladon8
01-30-2010, 08:30 PM
I found a really great piece of concept art for the re-vamped predators in this movie...

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5238/58ohbaby.jpg

Ezee E
03-13-2010, 04:23 AM
Behind The Scenes "Preview" (http://www.predators-movie.com/)

Official trailer out on the 18th.

I like the footage.

Sxottlan
03-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Looks like it has promise. I actually kind of wish Rodriguez would have directed it.

Morris Schæffer
03-13-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic, but wonder whether another jungle setting will do it any favours. Perhaps that 24 years after the original, it won't really matter and this flick will deliver big time.

Skitch
03-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Niiiiiiiiiice.

Rowland
03-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Looks like it has promise. I actually kind of wish Rodriguez would have directed it.I dunno, Rodriguez has a tendency to overplay the fast-cutting flamboyance and all-around plasticity of his action movies, which is okay for stuff like the Mariachi trilogy, From Dusk Till Dawn, or Planet Terror, but I don't know if his approach would suit the Predator universe. I've only seen Nimrod Antal's Vacancy, but I thought it used old-school genre mechanics with reserved flair, which reminds me more of McTiernan than Rodriguez's clusterfuck approach to filmmaking.

Ezee E
03-13-2010, 05:31 PM
I dunno, Rodriguez has a tendency to overplay the fast-cutting flamboyance and all-around plasticity of his action movies, which is okay for stuff like the Mariachi trilogy, From Dusk Till Dawn, or Planet Terror, but I don't know if his approach would suit the Predator universe. I've only seen Nimrod Antal's Vacancy, but I thought it used old-school genre mechanics with reserved flair, which reminds me more of McTiernan than Rodriguez's clusterfuck approach to filmmaking.
Agreed. While I doubt Armored is any good, he did a lot with nothing in Vacancy, and Kontroll is probably better than anything Robert Rodriguez ever did.

Well, Sin City I like, but a Predators in that style would be stupid.

number8
03-13-2010, 07:17 PM
I don't necessarily think a new movie needs to be in keeping with McTiernan's style.

Rowland
03-13-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't necessarily think a new movie needs to be in keeping with McTiernan's style.It doesn't, but by the same token, I still don't think Rodriguez's style would be ideal for a Predator movie, and furthermore, a more grounded, classical approach may help bring some respect back to the series after the two AVP abominations.

Wryan
03-13-2010, 09:07 PM
The director's name is Nimrod and I withhold comment.

number8
03-14-2010, 12:51 AM
The director's name is Nimrod and I withhold comment.

At least he has a last name.

megladon8
03-14-2010, 12:55 AM
Predator dogs? Not sure how I feel about that one. Hope it doesn't turn into something like the Hulk-poodles.

And I also hope that's not what Rodriguez is talking about when he mentions the "new kind of Predators". I'd be kind of pissed off if the Predators we know and love sit in the background while alien dogs do all the work.

Sxottlan
03-14-2010, 01:50 AM
Agreed. While I doubt Armored is any good, he did a lot with nothing in Vacancy, and Kontroll is probably better than anything Robert Rodriguez ever did.

You know what? For some reason I was mistaking Nimrod Antal for Marcus Nispel, director of such crap as Pathfinder.

Now I'm more intrigued by the choice.

Dukefrukem
03-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Predator dogs? Not sure how I feel about that one. Hope it doesn't turn into something like the Hulk-poodles.

It's funny to me that's the first place you go. We're talkin worst case scenario here.

megladon8
03-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Upon more thought, I actually think the dogs could be a cool use of the "hunting" idea, which is what they seem to be capitalizing on with this movie.

Skitch
03-15-2010, 02:16 AM
Upon more thought, I actually think the dogs could be a cool use of the "hunting" idea, which is what they seem to be capitalizing on with this movie.
Also, isn't this film taking place on a Predator home world? It would seem logical that they could do whatever they want with indigenous life. As opposed to the Aliens way of creating new creatures and what not.

megladon8
03-15-2010, 03:17 AM
Also, isn't this film taking place on a Predator home world? It would seem logical that they could do whatever they want with indigenous life. As opposed to the Aliens way of creating new creatures and what not.

No idea.

I've read several different story possibilities. One is that it's on the Predator homeworld. One is that it's on Earth. One is that the Predators come to Earth, kidnap humans, and bring them back to jungle arenas on their homeworld so they can hunt them on their own territory.

number8
03-15-2010, 11:32 AM
They're on a planet the Predators use for hunting purposes.

The dogs are likely there because the Predators brought them there. You know, like fox hunting.

Didn't Rodriguez talk about that in that sneak peek video?

megladon8
03-15-2010, 06:31 PM

The dogs are likely there because the Predators brought them there. You know, like fox hunting.

No, he didn't.

megladon8
03-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Some of Rodriguez' lines about the movie are kind of awful.

"They're just such...such predators!"

Yeah, thanks, I kind of got that. From the title of the movie.

Scar
03-16-2010, 11:26 PM

Dunno if he talked about it, but thats the first thought I had. I know plenty of good 'ol boys who use dogs to hunt. I'm personally not a fan, but that don't mean I wouldn't mind Predators using 'em. Unless they were chasing me, that is.

megladon8
03-17-2010, 01:09 AM
Here's some info regarding the sneak peak IGN got. (http://movies.ign.com/articles/107/1077485p1.html)

Ezee E
03-19-2010, 05:29 AM
Trailer (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=64368) is up, and this may be my second most anticipated summer movie behind Inception.

Skitch
03-19-2010, 10:54 AM
YES.

Dukefrukem
03-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Meh.... Too many predators.

Grouchy
03-19-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm all for it.

number8
03-19-2010, 09:55 PM
You see, what people don't realize is that the real Predators... are us.

Scar
03-20-2010, 01:11 AM
I'm game.

Spun Lepton
03-20-2010, 01:34 AM
I'm glad to see Walton Goggins getting work. This looks like it could be fun.

Morris Schæffer
03-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Looks like the better summer fare this one. I like the trailer, but I wonder if it'll be able to achieve the same tension as the original. It'll likely be more of a war flick like Aliens, but even that one had moments of absolutely unbearable tension. Cool cast. I too can go absolutely wild over Walton Goggins. I mean, fuck he was Shane Vendrell man!

B-side
03-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Meh.

lovejuice
03-21-2010, 12:08 AM
hmm...predators bringing people from our planet to hunt them down in predators' own territory? that defeats the purpose of hunting, doesn't it? it somehow feels less honorable this way.

number8
03-21-2010, 03:29 AM
hmm...predators bringing people from our planet to hunt them down in predators' own territory? that defeats the purpose of hunting, doesn't it? it somehow feels less honorable this way.

Hunters actually do this with wild life. The hunting is more of a sport than a predatory thing.

Wait. I see your point.

Winston*
03-21-2010, 03:31 AM
One of these Predators should accidentally shoot another one one in the face.

Wryan
03-21-2010, 03:46 AM
How do I love thee, Winston*? Let me count the ways...

KK2.0
03-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Trailer looked better than i expected, this movie was under my radar until now. Understandable, after so many underwhelming Predator and Alien movies.

I've seen this on another forum and chuckled

http://www.interney.net/blogs/media/mdm/predasbrody2.jpg

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2660/1256786376699.jpg

yes, a stupid generalization but still :lol:

Rowland
03-25-2010, 01:13 AM
On the basis of Vacancy and now Armored (both *** ratings), I can say with confidence that Antal is one of the most talented B-filmmakers out there right now. Both films are remarkably stylish in manners both adroitly attuned to the functional techniques of the cinematic form and dynamic without being overly ostentatious or slick. I'm even more anxious now to see what he does with this, and to catch up with his debut Kontroll.

Spun Lepton
04-01-2010, 03:04 AM
Concept art for the Predator dogs...

http://timesonline.typepad.com/blockbuster_buzz/2010/03/predators-live-chat-to-robert-rodriguez.html

Morris Schæffer
06-03-2010, 06:14 AM
A preview of the score by John Debney:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45333

Sounds promising!

megladon8
06-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Lots of images from Predators (hhttp://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/20559)

MadMan
06-14-2010, 08:56 PM
One of these Predators should accidentally shoot another one one in the face.And of course the one who got shot will have to apologize at the Predator press conference.

Anyways, the recent trailer actually has sold me on this movie. Will it be better than the original? Of course not, for the original is one of the greatest movies ever made. I will be entertained, yes, and the cast isn't half bad either.

Dukefrukem
06-16-2010, 03:38 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/prednew.jpg

Skitch
06-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Great article on this in the new Empire.

Dukefrukem
06-23-2010, 07:12 PM
I don't like how this trailer shows you who dies, but I still think it's awesome.

X92Cv3T9s7o

Skitch
06-30-2010, 06:58 PM
I picked up the new Predator bluray. I hear people are complaining about the new transfer, saying "the grittiness was an intentional part of the film". I don't know, I think the comparisons look pretty damn good.

Http://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/articles/predator-blu-ray-comparison/

Morris Schæffer
07-06-2010, 10:59 AM
First batch of RT review blurbs is positive!

Rowland
07-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Chaw has a review up for the original, arguing that it is, along with Back to the Future, one of the two quintessential films of the 80s.

http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/dvdreviews/predatorbd.htm

I've always preferred Predator to McTiernan's other, bigger blockbuster, Die Hard. It ranks with The Terminator (still Cameron's only great movie) and RoboCop as one of my favorite action movies of that decade.

[ETM]
07-07-2010, 04:02 AM
I really dislike the new "Predator" alien design.

Sxottlan
07-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Chaw has a review up for the original, arguing that it is, along with Back to the Future, one of the two quintessential films of the 80s.

Great review, although I'm surprised he didn't comment on the nearly 20 minutes at the climax that plays as a silent film. There's barely any dialogue once Dutch gets on his own and must learn to survive by essentially de-evolving down to using sticks and stones to eventually beat the Predator.

Boner M
07-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Seein' this tomorrow.

Boner M
07-08-2010, 10:05 AM
You see, what people don't realize is that the real Predators... are us.
A variation on this line is actually present in the film.

Overall, it's pretty unremarkable. Atmospheric and well-acted, but no tension, no scares, no 'holy shit' scenes, not even much gore. The opening scene neatly promises a film of pure momentum, but it's mostly pretty stagnant. And the twist with Grace's character is just weird. Mehdators, etc.

Ballsy choice of end-credit music, though.

Ezee E
07-10-2010, 01:58 AM
Very by the books. As Boner says, there's never really any tension in this movie except in the beginning when everyone's trying to figure out what's going on. Very disappointing.

Lawrence Fishburne's strangest role. Seems like it was intended with someone else in mind, and it didn't work out. And everyone laughed when Topher Grace's face showed up. I did the same.

Brody's too good for this movie.

Sxottlan
07-10-2010, 03:18 AM
I enjoyed this. Continued some of the themes of the original although this borrowed a little too much from it. Almost right down to the characters (the Yakuza suddenly stopping to fight reminiscent of Billy's, cool though it may be) and music. Seriously, they should have just credited Alan Silvestri as the composer.

I'm surprised no one seemed to pick up on the dis-congruity of the Topher Grace character. I actually bought the idea of a doctor being brought along to tend the "prey," but then I realized he's not really helping anyone. So I figured he was probably some serial killer and sure enough.

I saw some reviews saying this was more a direct sequel than the second film, but I enjoyed the transition from one jungle to the concrete jungle. I just wish it hadn't been a sequel that dumped the surviving characters from the first film.

Made me wonder how Isabelle knew about the Guatemalan incident. I thought perhaps she was the same girl as from the first film because I suddenly couldn't remember her name until I looked it up on IMDB. And no offense to Alice Braga, for some reason I think she looks a lot older than she really is.

As Boner says, there's never really any tension in this movie except in the beginning when everyone's trying to figure out what's going on.

Thanks to the trailers, this was the part where I was just marking time. If they hadn't revealed that twist in the trailers, I would have found the opening more mysterious.

Lawrence Fishburne's strangest role. Seems like it was intended with someone else in mind, and it didn't work out.

Yeah. Kind of hard to believe that he had been stranded on an alien planet for a decade and have that gut.

[ETM]
07-10-2010, 04:43 AM
I saw some reviews saying this was more a direct sequel than the second film, but I enjoyed the transition from one jungle to the concrete jungle. I just wish it hadn't been a sequel that dumped the surviving characters from the first film.

I didn't mind it dumping the characters as much as the new ones sucking, and Danny Glover essentially doing his "I'm too old for this shit" routine. The pacing was awful as well, but I think it did really well for the Predator mythos - pretty much everything the second movie introduced regarding the aliens themselves was pretty damn cool, from the disc weapon to the trophy cabinet.

Skitch
07-10-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm getting tired of correcting my friends when they say "I'm looking forward to Predators because Robert Rodriquez directed it."

:|

Ezee E
07-10-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm getting tired of correcting my friends when they say "I'm looking forward to Predators because Robert Rodriquez directed it."

:|
But then you can call them "Nimrods"

Bahahah.

Skitch
07-10-2010, 12:07 PM
But then you can call them "Nimrods"

Bahahah.

:lol:

In their defense it is the fault of tricky marketing. "FROM Robert Rodriquez..."

lovejuice
07-10-2010, 01:34 PM
A really mild yay, but yay nonetheless.

Guess what wins me over is its many surprise revelations. With its video game plot line, these are probably the best one can come up with.

It's kinda sad, nonetheless. Like watching the fourth scientology-inspired Indiana Jones and realizing how shallow our generation has become. I can't help but consider whether the movie would have been better if it were actually a "remake" and had moved the location to some desert area in the middle east.

number8
07-10-2010, 08:01 PM
I still remember having to slowly explain to people that Quentin Tarantino did not direct HERO.

Wryan
07-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Continuity/stupidity problems aside...

Since Grace is a serial killer, how did he know about a poison on an alien planet? At first I thought he was just lying to gain trust, but then it really was a toxin on his scalpel...I did like his character's twist though.

...I liked it. Funny thing is, if this was the first predator movie to come out, people would probably think it was some kind of masterpiece. But since it exists in a world that already knows how predator movies are supposed to look/sound/feel like, it can't help being very heavy homage. I liked the cast. Doesn't really have the memorable action beats of the original. The yakuza showdown was thankfully not anticlimactic; at least they put a little effort into the fight. For what it wants to do, it does it pretty well. "Long Tall Sally" at the credits cracked me up, and I also love that song so much.

I'd say worthwhile overall.

EDIT: OH! And...

Danny Trejo's final moments, and the voice after Isabelle shoots him, was fucking creeeeeeepy. Very effective.

Wryan
07-10-2010, 09:10 PM

Made me wonder how Isabelle knew about the Guatemalan incident. I thought perhaps she was the same girl as from the first film because I suddenly couldn't remember her name until I looked it up on IMDB. And no offense to Alice Braga, for some reason I think she looks a lot older than she really is.

Yeah. Kind of hard to believe that he had been stranded on an alien planet for a decade and have that gut.

Yeah not sure what they were trying to do with Braga. Same woman? Daughter of the woman? Could have been clearer. And I laughed at Morpheus's chub too.

Wryan
07-10-2010, 09:13 PM
And of course the only woman in the cast has gotta be the nurturer. Stop it.

Skitch
07-10-2010, 09:31 PM
I still remember having to slowly explain to people that Quentin Tarantino did not direct HERO.

Haha ohhh yes, me too. I also remember being in the theater for Hostel and hearing a guy behind me tell his buddy, "I know I'm gonna like this, I'm loved everything Quentin Tarantino directed."

lovejuice
07-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Continuity/stupidity problems aside...

Since Grace is a serial killer, how did he know about a poison on an alien planet? At first I thought he was just lying to gain trust, but then it really was a toxin on his scalpel...I did like his character's twist though.

i think he's both. a dexter-type serial killer maybe. the twist is not very hard to guess, but i like his final moment when he begs to not be killed. then the grenades explode.

i'm not sure i agree it'd be regarded as a masterpiece if it were an original. the movie is saved from the banality of being just another commentary on video game violence, internet, alternated reality and whatnot by the realization that the predator concept is actually much deeper than here presented.

Watashi
07-11-2010, 07:30 AM
I thought this was a pretty lame movie. Laurence Fishburne was a waste as Mr. Exposition.

I liked Brody though. He proved he can carry an action movie.

MacGuffin
07-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Laurence Fishburne is such a shitty actor goddamn. Has he ever been good in anything/in anything good?

Watashi
07-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Laurence Fishburne is such a shitty actor goddamn. Has he ever been good in anything/in anything good?
I think he's a good actor. I've enjoyed him in The Matrix trilogy, Boyz n the Hood, and Searching for Bobby Fischer.

Watashi
07-11-2010, 07:34 AM
I think he's a good actor. I've enjoyed him in The Matrix trilogy, Boyz n the Hood, and Searching for Bobby Fischer.
And of course Pee Wee's Playhouse.

MacGuffin
07-11-2010, 07:34 AM

For me, he always overacts. He seems to always take the typical direct-to-video approach.

Ezee E
07-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Yeah. I can't really think of many movies he's in, but he made an iconic character for The Matrix.

megladon8
07-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Laurence Fishburne is a great actor.

Dukefrukem
07-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Saw this. It was ok. So I guess it's a "yay" for the database.

I enjoyed this. Continued some of the themes of the original although this borrowed a little too much from it. Almost right down to the characters (the Yakuza suddenly stopping to fight reminiscent of Billy's, cool though it may be) and music. Seriously, they should have just credited Alan Silvestri as the composer.

This is how I felt. I also felt like Yaduza didn't really get hurt in that fight. It was hard to tell. He was my favorite of the bunch.

Laurence Fishburne's character could have been completely scratched from the movie. I didn't like that segment at all.... he comes off sane and coherent when you first meet him, then turns to a complete nut job. Stupid.

I also LOVE how the trailer misleads you to believe things that just aren't true in the movie. More movies should do this.

Like when Adrien Brody's character has 15 predator laser sights on him in the trailer. Well done!

Hated how they used the "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" line ... again. Too much borrowing from other movies.

I'm surprised no one seemed to pick up on the dis-congruity of the Topher Grace character. I actually bought the idea of a doctor being brought along to tend the "prey," but then I realized he's not really helping anyone. So I figured he was probably some serial killer and sure enough.

As soon as he asked for help from the minigun guy and then ran away I knew something was up.

Dukefrukem
07-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Also, did anyone like Brody's batman voice??

Event Horizon !

Skitch
07-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Event Horizon !

Apocalypse Now!

This was fun. Borrowed a lot from the original, there's a fine line between homage and ripoff. One of the best openings ever though, and a truer sequel than Predator 2.

I call thee acceptable.

[ETM]
07-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Apocalypse Now!

What's Love Got To Do With It!

Winston*
07-12-2010, 01:14 AM
I remember him being a good Othello.

Dukefrukem
07-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Only $25,300,000 this weekend.

Skitch
07-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Only $25,300,000 this weekend.
Only? It only cost 40, and its up against Toy Story 3, Dispicable Me, and Eclipse...I'd say that's pretty good.

Dukefrukem
07-12-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't see those other movies appealing to the crowd that would want to see Predators.

number8
07-12-2010, 03:20 PM
I'm fairly sure Predators fans and Toy Story 3 fans overlap.

Skitch
07-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Yes, how silly of me to presume there are men out there who want to see Predators, and instead where drug to one the aforementioned films by wives, girlfriends, or kids.

Dukefrukem
07-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Would you guys put the AvP movies in the same universe as the Predator movies?

Skitch
07-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Would you guys put the AvP movies in the same universe as the Predator movies?

Hmmmmm...I'm okay with that. At least no major conflictions spring to mind.

number8
07-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Aside from the Bishop clusterfuck, but that's easily arguable.

Dukefrukem
07-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Reason I was asking is I don't like it. Feels weird to me. I don't think the two AvP movies should be in the same universe. But I have nothing to go on.

Rowland
07-13-2010, 05:30 AM
Doesn't embarrass itself, but doesn't do much to impress either, a disappointment given my expectations. Workmanlike, competent, modestly involving, but nowhere near as exceptional as the original, nor is it even as fun or exuberantly idiotic as the underrated Hopkins-directed sequel. Credit is due for not tarnishing the legacy Ã* la AVP, its reverence to the original charmingly barefaced, but for the most part this belated sequel proves oddly rote and drained of life, failing to really capitalize on the delightfully pulpy concept. It's absolutely and thoroughly fine for what it is, which is less than I was hoping for. All in all, a lapse for Antal after Vacancy and the underrated Armored.

Rowland
07-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Walter Chaw gave it a one-star review, which I anticipated after seeing the movie.

lovejuice
07-15-2010, 03:29 AM
the underrated Hopkins-directed sequel.
Yay! Are you also familiar with others of his movies? He is not successful as a movie director and has been working only with television recently, but since Predator 2, I consider myself quite a fan.

Lost in Space (1998) ***
The Ghost and the Darkness (1996) NA
Blown Away (1994) ** 1/2
Judgment Night (1993) ***
Predator 2 (1990) ***
A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child (1989) NA
Dangerous Game (1987) ***

He does handle low-concept, low-budget action moive quite well. I could see him turn into another McTiernan, but the age of that kind of movies and directors is gone. :sad:

Dukefrukem
07-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Judgment Night is fun as hell.

MadMan
07-22-2010, 06:10 AM
I'll be seeing this tomorrow, and posting my thoughts. I have low expecations, and I imagine it'll probably be decent yet entertaining.

MadMan
07-24-2010, 09:39 PM
This movie was rather entertaining, and very solid. It wisely uses economical pacing, and doesn't really stop to further explain certain things, which is good because it would have disrrupted the film's tense pacing. However, some of the cast is rather weak, and it lacks the superior tension and greatness of the original classic. A fine return to form for the series, and I'd say its on par with Predator 2, which I find to be rather underrated as far as sequels go.

Grouchy
08-28-2010, 08:31 PM
http://cdn.extracine.com/files/2010/07/predators-cartel1.jpg

Predators
Nimrod Antal, 2010

I've always argued that the world was in need of a third Predator movie. I'm a fan of the Danny Glover sequel and I personally consider the original to be a timeless cinema classic, so I thought there was solid groundwork to build a sequel from, if of course we dismiss the two Alien vs. Predator movies as the shitbags they both are. Well, here we have a sequel, produced and written by Robert Rodriguez from a script he wrote back in the mid '90s. And, to be quite honest, it's the disappointment to shatter my hopes. There's nothing outright terrible here, there's not a big misunderstanding of the Predator universe. In fact, the movie is completely reverent of the original to the extent that, like Terminator 3, it becomes a feature-lenght homage.

But besides that, it just isn't very good. The premise is excellent - the Predators kidnap Earth's most dangerous humans and parachute them into hunting grounds in their own planet for sport. The movie shows off an ensemble cast that's completely underused. Lawrence Fishburne, for example, has a memorable scene as a character that the script is not smart enough to know how to use. Despite what the posters might make you believe, his work in this is a cameo. The main problem with the movie is that it just goes through the motions - nothing ever surprises us, the suspense is incredibly artificial and the characters are poorly drawn. A second problem is that the CGI just plain sucks. The worst special effects work I've seen since Wolverine.

Morris Schæffer
08-29-2010, 08:45 AM
@Grouchy: Which FX bits did you think stank? Mind, you maybe right, but I can't honestly recall anything extraordinarily bad.

As for the movie, I'm with you all the way. I've gotta say, I kinda liked the Fishburne sequence. This movie reminded me of Terminator:Salvation in that more adversaries doesn't, at all, equal a movie with more suspense and thrills than the original. The predators are more cannon fodder this time, dispatched rather easily compared to the herculean struggle in the McTiernan classic.

Grouchy
08-29-2010, 08:18 PM
This movie reminded me of Terminator:Salvation in that more adversaries doesn't, at all, equal a movie with more suspense and thrills than the original. The predators are more cannon fodder this time, dispatched rather easily compared to the herculean struggle in the McTiernan classic.
Yes, I agree with this too. Notice that while it might seem a hard contradiction to avoid in order to make the story work with a lot of Predators, Aliens really made it work.

I'm mostly talking about the CGI explosions and fire and the shot where Fishburne is killed. A couple of others, but I don't remember them right now.

Morris Schæffer
08-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Yes, I agree with this too. Notice that while it might seem a hard contradiction to avoid in order to make the story work with a lot of Predators, Aliens really made it work.

Yes, but then we're comparing James fucking Cameron to a dude named Nimrod.;)

Okay, I'll also add that had the Alien Queen not been in the movie at all, it all would have been far less memorable. God, everything from the moment she shows up until the very end is improbably awesome, terrifying, horrific. She even lends character to the smaller aliens when hissing in their general direction as if to say, "NO! This one's mine."

Predators adds new shit too. Too bad they're poodle Predators.

Grouchy
08-31-2010, 04:30 AM
You said it, bro.

Chac Mool
10-11-2010, 04:18 PM
I just caught this yesterday, and I'll echo the feelings above: it's decently made, but it just shoots so low and attempts so little that it's hard to like it. Comparing it to "Aliens" is interesting -- there's a movie that attempted to expand the premise, to make something awesome rather than re-dux the original with slight variations. It's particularly surprising that Rodriguez -- who, you would think, would revel in pushing the established boundaries outwards, and who isn't known for the generic -- shepherded this.

Brody was good, though.

Scar
10-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Perhaps I saw the original waaaaay too many times, but when does homage cross the line to sheer laziness?

I'll give this movie another try, but for the most part, color me unimpressed. Hell, I'd rather go watch Requiem again, which I actually do find somewhat entertaining.

transmogrifier
10-23-2010, 11:20 PM
The best part was the camerawork when they went over the cliff. That was cool. The rest was eh.