PDA

View Full Version : Brad Bird's 1906 & Andrew Stanton's John Carter of Mars

Watashi
01-29-2009, 08:22 PM

Brad Bird of Pixar has interestingly (officially via Hollywood Reporter) signed on to direct actual people in an upcoming movie called 1906. Stepping away from animation is noteworthy enough, but Bird is also tackling a story that is anything but cartoonish.

1906 is based on a novel by James Dalessandro of the same name. The story is described as: Set during the great San Francisco earthquake and fire, this page-turning tale of political corruption, vendettas, romance, rescue—and murder—is based on recently uncovered facts that forever change our understanding of what really happened.

John Carter of Mars

MTV caught up exclusively with Pixar's Andrew Stanton, who confirmed the film is real. "We're full bore on it right now. We're over the hump of the writing phase, and we're certainly far from rewrites." In fact, they're well into pre-production, and even looking at casting the hero. "I know everybody wanted Hugh Jackman forever. But he's only getting older and more exposed now, so it's a tough call. I'm your typical filmmaker, I want to find the next best unknown."

Penning a script out of an episodic story has been one of the major pitfalls of all movie attempts, but is a problem Stanton thinks he cracked. "It almost had an absence of a story for a feature film because it was very episodic. In its day it was a comic book. I mean, this book was written in 1912. It was the comic book you got in the time before there was such thing as comic books. So, it was really just about the next fight, the next adventure, the next romance. The key was putting a story into it and creating characters that had to grow and real basic stuff that we all know a movie needs."

Both 1906 and John Carter of Mars will be live-action. This is the first time both Pixar directors will venture into live-action filmmaking. 1906 will be the first non-animated Pixar film. John Carter of Mars is not a Pixar film, but only Disney, but his creative crew from Pixar is still involved.

Both of these films are probably my most anticipated films.... ever.

Which are you anticipating more?

Raiders
01-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Which are you anticipating more?

Stanton's. Though I thought it was going to be a mix of animation and live action.

Watashi
01-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Stanton's. Though I thought it was going to be a mix of animation and live action.

It's all live action. (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39879)

number8
01-29-2009, 08:50 PM
1906, probably because I've been hearing Dalessandro talk about it forever and I want it to finally be on film already.

Raiders
01-29-2009, 08:52 PM
It's all live action. (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39879)

Cool. Glad to see the strong idea of love and the human condition I got from WALL is shared by Stanton.

Ezee E
01-29-2009, 08:59 PM
1906 easily.

Qrazy
01-29-2009, 09:11 PM
After seeing quite a few animator turned live action features I can't say I'm really anticipating either.

Morris Schæffer
01-29-2009, 10:21 PM

MadMan
02-11-2009, 11:38 PM
I was looking forward to both. But Stanton's film sounds like it would appeal more to me.

Raiders
05-05-2009, 01:28 AM
Apparently novelist Michael Chabon (Wonder Boys, Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay) has been hired to give some revisions to Stanton's screenplay for John Carter of Mars. A little bit of old news, but since I just found out...

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/04/15/michael-chabon-joins-pixars-john-carter-of-mars/

Acapelli
05-05-2009, 07:17 AM
he also had his hand in spider-man 2, my favorite superhero movie

Watashi
06-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Taylor Kitsch (Friday Night Lights, X-Men Origins: Wolverine) has been casted as John Carter (http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/06/12/lynn-collins-and-taylor-kitsch-cast-in-john-carter-of-mars/)

Ezee E
06-13-2009, 04:26 PM
I was hoping it'd be news for 1906. I hope that happens someday.

Raiders
06-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Awesome. Kitsch was terrific on Friday Night Lights.

Mal
06-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Hugh Jackman's too old? Just hire Noah Wyle. Duh.

(nobody will get this joke.:sad: )

Morris Schæffer
06-15-2009, 10:38 AM
new cast member

News about Pixar and Andrew Stanton's live-action John Carter of Mars is now coming thick and fast. We only just learned that Taylor Kitsch and Lynn Collins were signed up, but now it seems that Thomas Hayden Church is a distinct possibility.

Check out this interview at Reel Talk, where Church states that he's "probably going to do a huge science fiction drama at Disney called John Carter of Mars". No word so far on who he might play, but Church describes it as "a very dramatic role" and differentiates it from his comedy bad-guy in the incoming Eddie Murphy vehicle Imagine That.

Church's last big fantasy role was as The Sandman in Spider-Man 3, which might suggest that villainy is on the cards again. But the third principal character in Edgar Rice Burroughs' first John Carter novel, A Princess of Mars, is actually a sidekick: Carter's (eventual) buddy, the green-skinned Martian warrior Tars Tarkas.

With a character arc that goes from antagonist to ally, renegade to hero, Tarkas would seem to have all the drama that Church implies, and he's in subsequent books, meaning the character has serious franchise potential. It's just speculation, but it seems to us that character and actor are a pretty good fit.

So, do green Hellboy prosthetics for Thomas Haden Church sound promising?

Raiders
03-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Giacchino doing the score for John Carter of Mars.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/03/11/michael-giacchino-to-score-john-carter-of-mars/

Would be awesome if he could become to Pixar what Hisaishi is to Ghibli.

number8
03-29-2010, 05:17 PM
He kinda already is, and I don't see them stopping their collaboration anytime soon.

number8
03-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Although Toy Story 3 and Cars 2 are Randy Newman, probably out of respect for the originals. I think they'll go back to Giacchino in the next non-sequel one.

Wryan
03-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Long as Kitsch takes his clothes off a lot during the movie, for plot-appropriate moments of course, I'm down.

Here's hoping Bird can get a bailout.