PDA

View Full Version : Cormac McCarthy question

dreamdead
11-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Hey y'all,

I know a good number of you read McCarthy, and I'd like to utilize him for the two English 104 classes I'm teaching in the spring. Unfortunately, I've yet to read any of his work, and the book order sheets need turned in by Monday. So while I'm going in blind, what's the ultimate McCarthy book to teach?

The other books in the course will be Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber, Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried, and Ian McEwan's Atonement; the theme figures to be something along the lines of narrative, trauma, and identity... hopefully, that is enough for you to work with.

Last time I assigned a book I was reading along with the class, it was McEwan, so I seem to have pretty good success so far...

Ezee E
11-22-2007, 07:39 PM
I've only read No Country For Old Men, but I'm sure that'd work fine, but it might bore some people or make it too easy since two of your books will come from recent movies.

Kurosawa Fan
11-23-2007, 01:44 PM
With the themes you posted, The Road would work perfectly.

megladon8
11-23-2007, 03:13 PM
With the themes you posted, The Road would work perfectly.

Yeh, not to mention it's pretty much one of the best books I have ever read.

ledfloyd
11-23-2007, 06:42 PM
yeah, the road fits the themes. blood meridian is his best work i think.

Ezee E
11-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Cormac McCarthy novels are near the top of my Christmas list this year.

Biff Justice
11-25-2007, 02:16 AM
I would recommend Blood Meridian, but while I feel its his best book and definitely deals with the themes you mentioned, its also in many ways his most difficult.

With that in mind, I'll add another vote for The Road, but with the stipulation that you have to at least check out Blood Meridian.

dreamdead
11-25-2007, 03:01 AM
With that in mind, I'll add another vote for The Road, but with the stipulation that you have to at least check out Blood Meridian.

I own Blood Meridian, actually, though I've yet to read the book. I imagine it'll make for some good summer reading, since the winter's going to be busy with work and Carter/The Road...

Raiders
11-25-2007, 04:27 AM
Hmmm, The Road is very tempting to say, but I think I'll throw a curve and say Suttree might be the best, especially if we're talking about the "identity" portion. It might just be my favorite of the five novels of his I have read. It is likely his most humorous, but also his saddest and most emotionally complex.