PDA

View Full Version : gender swap

lovejuice
11-21-2007, 01:00 AM
i need recommendation.

lately, just like QT, i've been trashed for my female characters. i have a lot of saying against that, but in any case, it would be nice to investigate more literatures in which authors are famour or at least very good at characterizing the member of opposite sex. any recommendation?

Winston*
11-21-2007, 01:11 AM
This is so not what I was expecting from this thread.

DSNT
11-21-2007, 02:01 AM
This is so not what I was expecting from this thread.Me neither, and I expected the author would be Watashi.

jesse
11-22-2007, 12:51 AM
Mrs. Dalloway, Virginia Woolf
The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton
Emma, Jane Austen
The Lover, Marguerite Duras
Medea, Euripides

Sadly, a much harder list to come up with than I expected.

lovejuice
11-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Mrs. Dalloway, Virginia Woolf
The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton
Emma, Jane Austen
The Lover, Marguerite Duras
Medea, Euripides

Sadly, a much harder list to come up with than I expected.

i believe you misunderstand my question. the gender of the main character has to be opposite with of the writer. (which will make this list even harder to come up with.)

SpaceOddity
11-22-2007, 05:35 PM
i believe you misunderstand my question. the gender of the main character has to be opposite with of the writer. (which will make this list even harder to come up with.)

It sounded as if you wanted recommendations on characters of your opposite sex not the authors'.

A few...
Zola - Nana & Therese Raquin
Henry James - The Portrait of a Lady
C.S. Lewis - Till We Have Faces
Wilkie Collins - The Woman in White (Marian)
Leopold von Sacher-Masoch - Venus in Furs :p
Tolstoy - Anna K
Flaubert - Madame B

jesse
11-22-2007, 05:39 PM
i believe you misunderstand my question. the gender of the main character has to be opposite with of the writer. (which will make this list even harder to come up with.) Indeed I did, proof I probably shouldn't have been posting at work.

So let me try again,

Michael Cunningham, The Hours
Henry James, Daisy Miller (I think Space Oddity would attest that James did well by his female characters; I haven't read enough, unfortunately)
J.D. Salinger, Franny and Zooey
Euripides, Medea
Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary
Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

And the opposite:

Jhumpa Lahiri, The Namesake (though I know you didn't like Intrepreter of Maladies)
Flannery O'Connor, The Violent Bear it Away
Edith Wharton, Ethan Frome
Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

lovejuice
11-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

that's a good call, since i think lee captures the manhood of atticus very well. thank for the recommendation, both you and spaceoddities.

D_Davis
11-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Henry James, Daisy Miller (I think Space Oddity would attest that James did well by his female characters; I haven't read enough, unfortunately)

DM is a great story.

monolith94
11-24-2007, 05:11 AM
I haven't read it yet, but Thomas Hardy's Tess of the Dubervilles probably fits this bill well.

monolith94
11-24-2007, 05:12 AM
DM is a great story.
I'm surprised you didn't mention Dick's Transmigration of Timothy Archer!

D_Davis
11-26-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm surprised you didn't mention Dick's Transmigration of Timothy Archer!

Sometimes I feel as though people get tired of me mentioning anything to do with PKD. :)

Glad someone mentioned it though. Throughout most of his career, PKD was accused of being a misogynist, and rightly so, as his books do feature female characters with highly questionable motives and morals. And so with Timothy Archer, he wrote a story from a female POV about a wonderfully written female character. It's like PKD's last chance to make amends in this area.