PDA

View Full Version : Women Making America

Mara
01-13-2009, 01:55 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/cover_200_pixels.jpg

Okay, it looks like this book is finally coming out. (Today, I think, although Amazon shows it as still being in pre-order. (http://www.amazon.com/Women-Making-America-Heidi-Hemming/dp/0982127103/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231857626&sr=8-1)

It's called "Women Making America" and it's a textbook on womens' history written for a high school /early college level. The book is written by two fantastic, brilliant women who are sort of related to me, and they were troubled that womens' history was only being taught at higher levels, when it should be addressed earlier.

I, personally, read through and edited about 2/3 of the book about a year ago, when it was still being proofed. I found it intensely interesting and readable. It is one of the few history books I've read that really explores what people do all day, from when they get up in the morning until they go to bed at night, throughout their entire lives. It does discuss ground-breaking, famous women, but it also explores how women who never made headlines still supported and influenced the world. There are also lots of pretty pictures.

You can see the website for the book here (http://www.womenmakingamerica.com/), and you can download and read the first couple of chapters to see what it is like.

Anyway, check out the book if you are interested, or (at least) recommend it to friends or teachers who might be interested. My relatives have dedicated the last five or six years to this, and I think they did an amazing job.

thefourthwall
01-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Cool. I'll definitely pass on the title to my teacher friends (high school and college) many of whom are very interested in Women's Studies.

EyesWideOpen
02-03-2009, 03:45 PM
I ordered it for my wife for her birthday and i'm looking forward to reading it myself.

Mara
02-03-2009, 04:45 PM
I ordered it for my wife for her birthday and i'm looking forward to reading it myself.

Sweet! The more I look through the book, the more I like it. We're using it as a coffee table book, because the design of it is such that you don't have to read it cover to cover, you can just flip around and get cool stuff. Everyone who has visited has loved it, and most ask where they can get a copy.

megladon8
02-03-2009, 04:57 PM
I was going to litter this thread with offensive jokes.

I held back.

Sycophant
02-03-2009, 06:29 PM
This sounds like a really awesome book. I'll add it to my Amazon cart with other items from the last seven years that I may or may not end up purchasing (anyone else do that)? It looks like exactly the kind of educational book I think there needs to be more of.

Pity I don't have a coffee table right now.

Mara
03-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Just a note: I had dinner with one of the authoresses this weekend, and astonishingly, they've sold almost all the copies of the first printing. It's unclear if they will have a second one, because of financial reasons, so if any of you were thinking of picking this up, you may want to hurry! It really is very enlightening and fascinating reading.

EyesWideOpen
03-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Just a note: I had dinner with one of the authoresses this weekend, and astonishingly, they've sold almost all the copies of the first printing. It's unclear if they will have a second one, because of financial reasons, so if any of you were thinking of picking this up, you may want to hurry! It really is very enlightening and fascinating reading.

I haven't had a chance to read it yet but my wife is loving it.

Mara
03-18-2009, 04:11 PM
I haven't had a chance to read it yet but my wife is loving it.

That's fantastic. I love hearing that from an unbiased source. I'll be sure to pass along the compliment, too.

Sycophant
03-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Ordered. Thanks for the tip.

Sycophant
03-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Wow, Amazon got that to me fast! I'm still at work, so I only took a few seconds to flip through. Looks like a nice volume!