PDA

View Full Version : Akira (Taika Waititi??)

Dukefrukem
01-08-2009, 04:04 AM
I was just watching Adult Swim and they said that they are making Akira into a live action movie and Leo is Kaneda. Crazy.... but i LOVE IT!

This is the only thing I could find after a quick google and it's old news.

http://jalopnik.com/359319/leonardo-dicaprio-warner-brothers-to-remake-akira

Skitch
01-08-2009, 11:12 AM
I also heard the rumor of Joseph Gordon Leavitt as Tetsuo. That would be fantastic. Unfortunately those two castings are supposedly false rumors.

Dukefrukem
01-08-2009, 02:06 PM
I also heard the rumor of Joseph Gordon Leavitt as Tetsuo. That would be fantastic. Unfortunately those two castings are supposedly false rumors.

bah. should have figured coming from adult swim.

Skitch
01-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Only real thing I've heard is that DiCaprio's production company is the crew making this flick.

[ETM]
01-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Great casting idea for Tetsuo. I'm not saying anyone should ever make this but JGL is a great choice.

Dukefrukem
06-15-2009, 04:35 PM
:(

dead as a doornail... (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/16472)

What's a doornail btw? A nail in a door? And why is it dead?

Sycophant
06-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Quoth Charles Dickens,

Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it: and Scrooge's name was good upon 'Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was dead as a doornail. Mind I don’t mean to say that I know myself what there is particularly dead about a doornail. I’m more of a mind to regard a coffin nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile, and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it or the country’s done for. Therefore, permit me to repeat emphatically that Marley was dead.

D_Davis
06-15-2009, 04:57 PM
That's too bad. I was kind of looking forward to seeing how this would pan out.

Sycophant
06-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Agreed. It would've been, at the very least, interesting.

megladon8
06-15-2009, 05:07 PM
JGL would be good.

Skitch
06-15-2009, 06:05 PM
JGL would be perfect.

Repaired.

number8
06-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Ken Leung as Tetsuo.

megladon8
09-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Children of Men screenwriters are working on the adaptation. (http://www.collider.com/2009/09/07/exclusive-akira-movie-update/)

And the studio states that this is still very much a priority, hoping that if all goes well it'll go into production next year and be released in 2011.

They also say this won't be some mid-range budget movie. This will be one of the big, tentpole releases for that year.

Sycophant
09-08-2009, 08:51 PM
I am almost perversely interested in seeing this actually happen.

number8
09-08-2009, 09:59 PM
I am surprisingly ambivalent either way.

Ivan Drago
09-08-2009, 10:41 PM
They also say this won't be some mid-range budget movie. This will be one of the big, tentpole releases for that year.

As far as I'm concerned, 2011 so far is all about this, Lincoln, Batman 3, Spider-Man 4, Thor, Green Lantern, and Crank 3D. Looking like a huge year already if everything escapes preproduction.

Skitch
02-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Akira Next For Hughes Brothers?
Kaanedaaaaaaa!
Source: Vulture

A live-action version of Katsuhiro Otomo's seminal manga and anime Akira has been grumbling away in development hell since the early 1990s. Last September saw the first news in a long time emerge, that a new script was being worked on by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby. And now we're hearing from New York Magazine's Vulture that Warners are finalising the paperwork with The Hughes Brothers to direct.

Fergus and Ostby co-wrote the excellent Children of Men (not to mention Iron Man and Cowboys Vs. Aliens) so they've proved they know their way around a dystopia. But The Hughes Brothers are a surprise. Clearly the performance of The Book of Eli has put them in favour at Warners, but nothing on their CV (Menace II Society, Dead Presidents, From Hell) so far has hinted at future projects of the colossal magnitude of Akira.

Leonardo DiCaprio's company Appian Way is part of the production team, along with Andrew Lazar, who's currently wrangling Jonah Hex. Talk is still of two films, each roughly covering three books of the six-volume manga (Otomo's two-hour original film was made before the books had finished, and ends differently), with a budget of at least $300m. We won't even attempt a plot synopsis but the idea last year seemed to be to relocate the story from Neo-Tokyo to a Neo-Manhattan.

If this comes off, it'll be a sci-fi extravaganza up there with Blade Runner and The Matrix and Avatar. If not, two words for you: Johnny Mnemonic. We'll be astonished if it isn't in 3D. And we'll be even more amazed if, as Vulture suggest, part one is released next year. Not a chance. We're saying 2012 at the earliest.
Owen Williams

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e125/skitchthemovieman/Net%20Fun/Futurama_Fry_Looking_Squint.jp g

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e125/skitchthemovieman/Net%20Fun/VaderNOOOOO.gif

Ezee E
02-12-2010, 01:03 PM
The action sequences in Book of Eli were pretty great, and the Hughes Brothers have always had a good eye. I like this if it's true.

KK2.0
02-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Neo Manhattan = NAY

DiCaprio as Kaneda = YAY

Dukefrukem
02-14-2010, 02:54 PM
I'd watch it... hard.

Dukefrukem
11-06-2010, 01:49 AM
Zac Efron as Kaneda? (http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/11/05/rumor-zac-efron-albert-hughes-akira/)

Grouchy
11-06-2010, 07:14 AM
I want this project to stop.

Dukefrukem
11-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Morgan Freeman as Colonel???

Skitch
11-07-2010, 10:16 PM
*starts packing for Hollywood muder spree trip*

Dukefrukem
02-19-2011, 08:58 PM
news trickling in

Steve Kloves, best known for adapting seven of the eight Harry Potter films for Warner Bros., has been recruited to polish the studio's live-action remake of Japanese manga epic Akira.

Albert Hughes is directing Akira, based on Katsuhiro Otomo's graphic novel set in a post-apocalyptic Japan. Warner acquired the Akira rights three years ago from publisher Kodansha and set it up with Andrew Lazar's Mad Chance with Appian Way's Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson Killoran. Hughes and his brother, Allen Hughes. will also produce.

BuffaloWilder
02-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Holy crap, this is turning out awesome.

number8
02-20-2011, 12:31 AM
The rumor of James Franco playing Tetsuo is the first piece of news that got me excited.

megladon8
02-20-2011, 12:35 AM
The rumor of James Franco playing Tetsuo is the first piece of news that got me excited.

I didn't know until just the other day that it's now "neo New York".

So when I heard the rumor that James Franco was playing Tetsuo I was thinking this was going to be sssoooo terrible if they were going to be casting white actors as characters that are clearly supposed to be Japanese.

So I imagine his name will not be "Tetsuo" in the movie.

number8
02-20-2011, 12:37 AM
I would imagine that the only Japanese person on the movie will be Akira, just to keep the title.

BuffaloWilder
02-20-2011, 12:38 AM
In the screenplay I read, there's a giant Asian cultural influence over the newly rebuilt Neo-New York - so, a lot of people end up with Asian first names. Tetsuo being one of them, if I'm remembering right.

Sycophant
02-20-2011, 02:27 AM
Thought I read somewheres that "Tetsuo" would become "Travis."

Watashi
02-20-2011, 02:35 AM
I really want this to get made.

Am I in the minority for that?

Ezee E
02-20-2011, 02:40 AM
I'm all for it with the Hughes Brothers behind it.

Stay Puft
02-20-2011, 02:55 AM
I didn't know until just the other day that it's now "neo New York".

So when I heard the rumor that James Franco was playing Tetsuo I was thinking this was going to be sssoooo terrible if they were going to be casting white actors as characters that are clearly supposed to be Japanese.

So I imagine his name will not be "Tetsuo" in the movie.

I would imagine that the only Japanese person on the movie will be Akira, just to keep the title.

In the screenplay I read, there's a giant Asian cultural influence over the newly rebuilt Neo-New York - so, a lot of people end up with Asian first names. Tetsuo being one of them, if I'm remembering right.

Brilliant.

Taking the story out of Japan... what is the point of all of this.

Nobody answer that.

Watashi
02-20-2011, 04:12 AM
Akira never screamed "Japan" anyway. The story could be set anywhere.

Sven
02-20-2011, 05:09 AM

Ummm....

Dead & Messed Up
02-20-2011, 05:10 AM

As I remember it, Akira was distinctly Japanese, given its nuclear origins (Neo-Tokyo is created atop the ruins of an atomic explosion) and motifs (the explosion at the end purposefully evokes that level of destruction), both of which connect to Japanese fears of nuclear holocaust. That connection isn't quite as blunt as what you'll find in Godzilla, but I'd have trouble saying there isn't a strong connection between the original film and its setting.

Skitch
02-20-2011, 11:36 AM
I get nervous every time this thread resurfaces.

number8
02-20-2011, 01:47 PM
As I remember it, Akira was distinctly Japanese, given its nuclear origins (Neo-Tokyo is created atop the ruins of an atomic explosion)

Not exactly on top. Neo Tokyo is on a man-made island near the old Tokyo's crater.

I wouldn't say that it's untranslatable, given that post-war economic and social unrest and nuclear fear are universal feelings, but the world of AKIRA directly mirrors Japan right after WWII, yes, so I do think it would lose something there.

Sven
02-20-2011, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't say that it's untranslatable, given that post-war economic and social unrest and nuclear fear are universal feelings, but the world of AKIRA directly mirrors Japan right after WWII, yes, so I do think it would lose something there.

Sure those feelings are universal, but I would think it would be a retarding of subtext to transplant the story to the country that H-bombed Japan in the first place.

number8
02-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Ha, totally didn't even think of that. That would be a huge insult, wouldn't it?

Sven
02-22-2011, 03:32 AM
I really want this to get made.

Am I in the minority for that?

After dwelling on this project for a bit, I sure hope so.

Morris Schæffer
03-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Pattinson, Garfield or McAvoy eyed for Tetsuo role while Fassbender, Pine, Phoenix, Timberlake or Garrett Hedlund may play Kaneda.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=30480

Mara
03-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Maybe it's just the big-eyed, androgynous way that anime draws men, but I always thought of the main characters as being far, far younger than they seem to want to cast them. I always thought they were, like, 19.

D_Davis
03-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Maybe it's just the big-eyed, androgynous way that anime draws men, but I always thought of the main characters as being far, far younger than they seem to want to cast them. I always thought they were, like, 19.

In some anime that style is true, but not with Otomo. That's one of my favorite things about his style - the characters tend to look their age, and the guys look like guys. 19 is right around the right age for the main biker characters in Akira.

Skitch
03-22-2011, 01:52 PM
I thought they were 16-17...late high school age.

Mara
03-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Then they need to stop tossing around the names of guys in their thirties.

number8
03-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Pattinson is 24, and he can probably pull off a pretty good Tetsuo, actually.

Mara
03-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Pattinson is 24, and he can probably pull off a pretty good Tetsuo, actually.

I've never seen him in anything. Oh, except HP. He was okay in that.

Wouldn't kill them to find a talented unknown.

D_Davis
03-22-2011, 03:20 PM
I thought they were 16-17...late high school age.

I always imagined Kaneda's gang being 15-19 with the Clowns being a bit older.

number8
03-22-2011, 03:56 PM
They show their birthdates on a file in the film. Kaneda is 16 and Tetsuo is 15.

Dukefrukem
03-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Please no Timberlake. I can see Pine playing Kaneda. You could see some of that role in that apocalypse movie he did.

Henry Gale
03-24-2011, 12:28 AM
They're playing this smart though, because for every male fan of the source material there is, it's any two choices from that lineup of actors that will suddenly make the girlfriends and sisters of those fans suddenly interested in seeing this. It's like the reverse of studios casting attractive actresses in romantic comedies.

Mara
03-30-2011, 01:26 PM
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-urgent-questions-about-live-action-akira-remake/

MadMan
03-30-2011, 07:48 PM
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-urgent-questions-about-live-action-akira-remake/One of the great things about Cracked's articles is that they make you laugh, while also stating honest, uncomfortable opinions. Having finally seen Akira, the idea of them turning it into whitey American central and casting the dude from Twilight sounds godawful.

number8
04-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Kaneda is now in his 20's, Mark Wahlberg confirmed to play him. (http://goo.gl/lh3rP)

Hmmm.

Skitch
04-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Kaneda is now in his 20's, Mark Wahlberg confirmed to play him. (http://goo.gl/lh3rP)

Hmmm.

Hmmm...no...ahnooo...I don't think so.

:lol:

D_Davis
04-01-2011, 07:46 PM
That's a rough 20.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OZEW1KPpFOI/TG2-nDNDSjI/AAAAAAAADj8/xN1uUG_kd64/s1600/wahlberg.jpg

Qrazy
04-01-2011, 08:40 PM
40 is the new 16.

Mara
04-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Oh dear. Robert Brockway, who wrote the above Cracked article, claims someone sent him the actual script.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-actual-live-action-akira-script-worse-than-you-think/

number8
04-07-2011, 01:46 PM
If it's legit, I can't think of a way to make this story more Americanized than what that script describes.

Dukefrukem
04-07-2011, 11:14 PM
meh i dont buy it.

number8
04-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Oh, Takei.

http://twitter.com/#!/GeorgeTakei/status/58948987692138496

Watashi
04-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Does anyone think an all-Asian Akira remake would do ANY money at all?

number8
04-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Does anyone think an all-Asian Akira remake would do ANY money at all?

Not in the US, but it'll probably do okay internationally.

Sycophant
04-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Yeah, no one saw Memoirs of a Geisha with all those box office-poison Asians.

Ezee E
04-18-2011, 08:09 PM
No one even bothers to try because studios just fear that idea.

With something that would have a budget like Akira I could understand. But still.

number8
04-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Yeah, no one saw Memoirs of a Geisha with all those box office-poison Asians.

That movie was a limited release and didn't even make back its budget in the US.

DavidSeven
04-18-2011, 08:16 PM
If it was perceived as good and well-marketed, people would see it. See: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. They could sell something with a concept like this as an "event" status film without any names.

It just seems really silly the way they're going about it now.

Sycophant
04-18-2011, 08:19 PM
That movie was a limited release and didn't even make back its budget in the US.

It did do a domestic $57 million, which isn't too shabby for a limited release.

I mean, it may be true, but the accepted assumption that white people won't go see a movie without white people starring is so deeply racist, it makes me sad.

number8
04-18-2011, 08:23 PM
What's silly is that it's even an issue, regardless of whether or not it's true. It's fucking Warner Bros. They did fucking Matrix. They should be able to figure out that an Akira movie would do gangbusters outside the US. Who the hell cares about the box office here?

Ezee E
04-18-2011, 08:25 PM
It did do a domestic $57 million, which isn't too shabby for a limited release.

I mean, it may be true, but the accepted assumption that white people won't go see a movie without white people starring is so deeply racist, it makes me sad.
Tyler Perry does very well for himself.

Maybe the Asians need a Tyler Perry.

Ezee E
04-18-2011, 08:26 PM
What's silly is that it's even an issue, regardless of whether or not it's true. It's fucking Warner Bros. They did fucking Matrix. They should be able to figure out that an Akira movie would do gangbusters outside the US. Who the hell cares about the box office here?
This too. With International box office sales trumping the US sales, it actually does surprise me that a few studios don't target international releases instead.

DavidSeven
04-18-2011, 08:26 PM
They should be spending the money on innovative effects instead of big name white stars. No reason they couldn't sell this like Tron: Legacy. People didn't even know who was in that movie when they paid to see it.

Ezee E
04-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Akira is also one of those rare titles that I think everyone has heard of. Just knowing that a live-action version is being made will already gauge interest.

number8
04-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Tyler Perry does very well for himself.

Maybe the Asians need a Tyler Perry.

I remember seeing a panel discussion about this, I believe at the San Francisco Asian-American film festival or something similar, and I wish I can remember more details, but basically it's believed that it's not a matter of Asians not being white. Denzel and Will Smith can debunk that. It's a matter of America having a harder time perceiving Asian males as sex symbols. It's actually much easier to greenlight a project with an Asian female lead, because there is a widespread sexual fetish there. That's why if you look at Jackie Chan and Jet Li's American movies, they are very castrated, and it's made clear that it's supposed to fall into the niche of kung fu, which is separate from the leading male persona. Sex appeal is something studios take very seriously when it comes to a star, and there's still a prevailing cultural aversion to look at Asian dudes as being sexy.

D_Davis
04-18-2011, 09:08 PM
It's a matter of America having a harder time perceiving Asian males as sex symbols. It's actually much easier to greenlight a project with an Asian female lead, because there is a widespread sexual fetish there.

Bingo.

Been saying that for years.

Skitch
04-18-2011, 11:01 PM
I cast Akira in my RT days. I wonder if I can find that again.

EyesWideOpen
04-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Bingo.

Been saying that for years.

They should get the lead guy from The Man From Nowhere. He's pretty dreamy.

D_Davis
04-19-2011, 03:15 AM
They should get the lead guy from The Man From Nowhere. He's pretty dreamy.

Korean dudes are good looking.

Daniel Dae Kim should be huge here.

number8
04-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Actually, I remember a profile on Daniel Dae Kim on EW or People or something like that about how he's considered the first male Asian-American sex symbol.

Dukefrukem
04-19-2011, 12:47 PM
What is this news update? Twitter is blocked.

Ezee E
04-19-2011, 02:10 PM
I'd think Bruce Lee was?

number8
04-19-2011, 02:19 PM
I'd think Bruce Lee was?

Considering how he was pretty much unknown in the States before Enter the Dragon, which was only released after his death, I find that unlikely.

People forget that Green Hornet was not successful and was canceled after one season.

Ezee E
04-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Considering how he was pretty much unknown in the States before Enter the Dragon, which was only released after his death, I find that unlikely.

People forget that Green Hornet was not successful and was canceled after one season.
Well, then I half agree.

I don't really think Daniel Dae Kim has been considered a sex symbol.

D_Davis
04-20-2011, 03:47 AM
Actually, I remember a profile on Daniel Dae Kim on EW or People or something like that about how he's considered the first male Asian-American sex symbol.

He was poised to be, but then Americans realized that he was Asian.

D_Davis
04-20-2011, 03:48 AM
That's a good looking man.

http://bestof.provocateuse.com/images/photos/daniel_dae_kim_96.jpg

megladon8
04-20-2011, 04:06 AM
I've always thought both Chow Yun Fat and Ken Watanabe to be fantastic looking guys.

Irish
04-21-2011, 05:00 PM
No reason they couldn't sell this like Tron: Legacy. People didn't even know who was in that movie when they paid to see it.

I speculate most people knew Tron and knew Jeff Bridges was in both movies. I also speculate that a lot of people regret buying tickets (the thing was a domestic dud).

Akira is much more obscure IP. I can't see this coming in under $200MM, so I can't begrudge the studio for hedging their bets and not wanting to cast unknown minorities in leading roles.

Yeah, the whole thing sounds ridiculous but then once upon a time, so did the idea of casting Arnold in a PKD story.

It's fucking Warner Bros. They did fucking Matrix. They should be able to figure out that an Akira movie would do gangbusters outside the US.

WB has a long, sad history of having its head up its ass about its own properties (see: Superman). Besides that, the only scorecard that matters is domestic BO.

[ETM]
04-21-2011, 06:18 PM
I also speculate that a lot of people regret buying tickets (the thing was a domestic dud).

Broke even in the US and made several hundred million globally. Yeah, a total dud.

DavidSeven
04-21-2011, 06:43 PM
I speculate most people knew Tron and knew Jeff Bridges was in both movies.

You speculate wrong. That movie was sold on its effects alone.

number8
04-21-2011, 06:50 PM
;339723']Broke even in the US and made several hundred million globally. Yeah, a total dud.

He did say domestic dud, but still, it's not one, either. While it fell short of expectations given the hype, it still did very well for a holiday family film. It opened #1, became the highest grossing movie of December and the 12th highest grossing movie of 2010. It's chalked up as a success.

Irish
04-22-2011, 10:03 AM
;339723']Broke even in the US and made several hundred million globally. Yeah, a total dud.

1) It didn't break even. You're forgetting the massive marketing budget that movie had.

2) Did you miss the part where I said domestic BO is the only thing that matters? It's great if a movie generates income in foreign markets, cable, and DVDs .. but the number everybody watches is US ticket sales.

Raiders
04-22-2011, 01:31 PM
It's great if a movie generates income in foreign markets, cable, and DVDs .. but the number everybody watches is US ticket sales.

Pretty sure that's not correct, unless by "everybody" you mean silly box office tracking sites.

Scar
04-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Pretty sure that's not correct, unless by "everybody" you mean silly box office tracking sites.

http://gaygamer.net/images/thumbs-up.jpg

Morris Schæffer
05-06-2011, 08:51 PM
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=30902

Keanu Reeves wanted as Kaneda.

Dukefrukem
05-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Could work...http://blastr.com/assets_c/2011/05/KeanuReeves050611-thumb-550x413-61914.jpg

Qrazy
05-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Wrong thread?

Dukefrukem
05-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Wrong thread?

http://files.notebookforums.com/images/smilies/headscratch.gif

Qrazy
05-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Oh, didn't see. Thought he was playing Spike not Kaneda.

Ezee E
05-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Hughes is out according to Variety. I don't have full access to see the reasoning.

That's a big disappointment there.

BuffaloWilder
05-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Okay, guys. That's it. I can't keep it a secret any longer.

I'm directing this film.

Skitch
05-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Can you please hire me or 8 to cast this? Pretty please?

number8
07-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Not surprising, but while this was going on, they redesigned Kaneda's bike:

http://chrisweston.blogspot.com/2011/06/back-from-grave.html

Sven
07-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Not surprising, but while this was going on, they redesigned Kaneda's bike:

http://chrisweston.blogspot.com/2011/06/back-from-grave.html

Weston is great peeps. I guess it'll be guaranteed to have a nice concept art coffee table book.

Dukefrukem
07-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Jaume Collet-Serra to direct. ("Orphan" "Unknown")

$90 million budget

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118039904?refCatId=13

Both those movies are on the lower side of mediocre, but both had great potential and solid casts.

number8
07-15-2011, 02:49 PM
HAHAHAHAHA.

Ezee E
07-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooo.

Dukefrukem
10-20-2011, 11:58 AM
This is greenlit with a $90 million budget

Oh and Garrett Hedlund In Talks For Kaneda

[ETM]
10-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Lightcycle to Kaneda's bike? That's one bit of typecasting I can't really understand.

Dukefrukem
10-24-2011, 05:44 PM
yes Yes YES!

Garrett Hedlund is in talks for Kaneda, and now TwitchFilm is reporting that Helena Bonham Carter is in talks to play Lady Miyako and Gary Oldman is in talks to play one of the film's pivotal characters, the Colonel.

MadMan
10-24-2011, 07:32 PM
I still am strongly against this movie, but hey I'll wait for final judgement until a trailer arrives. It might have to get strong word of mouth for me to consider seeing it.

Grouchy
10-24-2011, 08:13 PM
I will never see it. I don't need it.

Morris Schæffer
11-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Garrett Hedlund definitely the frontrunner to play lead

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32269

Morris Schæffer
11-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Kristen stewart offered female lead. I've no idea whether that is good or bad or something inbetween.

number8
11-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Too bad about Hedlund as Kaneda. If Pattinson gets Tetsuo and Stewart is Kei, I'd love to see Taylor Lautner as Kaneda, just to see a million heads explode.

D_Davis
11-15-2011, 07:53 PM
The story's plot could be boiled down to being about nothing but teen angst, and that's probably what it'll be.

Morris Schæffer
11-23-2011, 10:55 AM
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32542

Watanabe offered the Oldman role?

number8
11-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Plot synopsis from a call sheet:

Kaneda (Garret Hedlund) is a bar owner in Neo-Manhattan who is stunned when his brother, Tetsuo, is abducted by government agents led by The Colonel (Ken Watanabe). Desperate to get his brother back, Kaneda agrees to join with Ky Reed (Kristen Stewart) and her underground movement who are intent on revealing to the world what truly happened to New York City thirty years ago when it was destroyed. Kaneda believes their theories to be ludicrous but after finding his brother again, is shocked when he displays telekinetic powers. Ky believes Tetsuo is headed to release a young boy, Akira, who has taken control of Tetsuo's mind. Kaneda clashes with The Colonel's troops on his way to stop Tetsuo from releasing Akira but arrives too late. Akira soon emerges from his prison courtesy of Tetsuo as Kaneda races in to save his brother before Akira once again destroys Manhattan island, as he did thirty years ago.

Mara
11-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Oh dear. Robert Brockway, who wrote the above Cracked article, claims someone sent him the actual script.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-actual-live-action-akira-script-worse-than-you-think/

Oh, look. Brockway was totally right.

Watashi
11-30-2011, 06:55 PM
I don't want to see this movie anymore.

number8
11-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Since it seems so arbitrary, I can only assume that the reason they changed Kaneda and Tetsuo to brothers is because they're afraid that showing two friends being so loyal to each other is too gay.

Dead & Messed Up
11-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Since it seems so arbitrary, I can only assume that the reason they changed Kaneda and Tetsuo to brothers is because they're afraid that showing two friends being so loyal to each other is too gay.

Maybe. I bet it's because Hollywood never hesitates to maximize the personal stakes. So friends become brothers, girlfriends become wives, Harrison Ford's look for his family, and Tom Jane just wants his kids back.

number8
11-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Maybe. I bet it's because Hollywood never hesitates to maximize the personal stakes. So friends become brothers, girlfriends become wives, Harrison Ford's look for his family, and Tom Jane just wants his kids back.

But that's the point. The original source has Kaneda and Tetsuo as being practically brothers since they grew up from childhood together. Logistically, presented as such, the stakes would appear equal whether or not they're blood, but I think there's this block where they think a guy like Kaneda wouldn't be so protective and caring towards Tetsuo and risking his life to save him if they're just dude-buds. They think that when audiences see that kind of emotional relationship, they'll assume that they're gay, unless there's the blood caveat. Though to be fair, that did happen when Frodo-Samwise didn't shy away from it.

Dukefrukem
12-01-2011, 04:16 PM

Not too gay. I just think American's have a hard time accepting the extremes Kaneda goes through to "save" Tetsuo. In the original, the last time they see Tetuso, he's taken off the street and put into an govenrment ambulance type vehicle. Why would anyone question that other than it was weird Tetsuo immediately started feeling sink and there was an ambulance ready to take him to the hospital? There was no real reason to break into a government facility.

number8
12-01-2011, 04:22 PM
See my previous post.

Irish
12-01-2011, 06:15 PM
:lol: Wow, what? You're reading waaaaay too much into it.

It's an action movie and the relationship change is just Hollywood shorthand. They're brothers because instead of showing or explaining the depth of the relationship in the backstory, you can just have them say it in dialogue and the everyone in the audience will get it, guaranteed. Takes less writing and less time & it's (perceived to be) easier to understand. It's also lazy and a bit condescending, but hey, whaddya gonna do?

number8
12-01-2011, 06:22 PM
I don't get it. Shorthand for what? Does "we're childhood best friends" really take that much longer to say than "we're brothers"? That's what they did in the original anime. There's no elaborate flashbacks to how close they were growing up or anything like that. They're best friends. Boom. Done.

Mara
01-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Rumors the production is nosediving.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/warner-bros-finally-catches-up-to-everyone-else-an,67258/

D_Davis
01-05-2012, 09:02 PM
There's no elaborate flashbacks to how close they were growing up or anything like that. They're best friends. Boom. Done.

Actually, the most emotionally charged part of the original anime are the flashbacks to when they were kids. Easily my favorite part of the entire film. That whole flashback sequence perfect illustrates their friendship.

number8
01-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Oh shit, that's right. Towards the end of the movie, when Kaneda enters their minds. Totally forgot about that part.

D_Davis
01-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Oh shit, that's right. Towards the end of the movie, when Kaneda enters their minds. Totally forgot about that part.

It's not overly long, nor is it elaborate, but it is very well done. Great use of color and sound.

number8
01-05-2012, 09:21 PM
It's not overly long, nor is it elaborate, but it is very well done. Great use of color and sound.

Right, and it's at the end of the movie, where we already spent an hour watching Kaneda go to great lengths trying to save his best friend. I guess what I meant is that there's no attempt to needlessly establish the depth of their relationship in order to justify their actions.

number8
01-05-2012, 09:24 PM

http://www.avclub.com/articles/warner-bros-finally-catches-up-to-everyone-else-an,67258/

"Would I be embarrassing myself if I confess that I have no idea wtf this Akira thing is?"
"Neither do I, because I don't watch Nickolodeon."

That is one very effective troll.

D_Davis
01-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Right, and it's at the end of the movie, where we already spent an hour watching Kaneda go to great lengths trying to save his best friend. I guess what I meant is that there's no attempt to needlessly establish the depth of their relationship in order to justify their actions.

Right - it's done more to establish the anguish they both feel over what will inevitably happen.

I mean really, they're already in a gang together. That's shorthand enough to say "hey, we're like brothers."

MadMan
01-05-2012, 10:09 PM

http://www.avclub.com/articles/warner-bros-finally-catches-up-to-everyone-else-an,67258/Perfectly fine with me. This movie wasn't a good idea from the beginning.

Dukefrukem
01-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Plus we have Chronicle coming out soon anyway. It's the same movie.

Dukefrukem
01-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Jonathan Nolan and/or Michael Green to rewrite the script? (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118048156)

number8
03-28-2012, 05:28 PM
This Toby Kebbell dude is all right. (http://www.ifc.com/fix/2012/03/akira-movie-toby-kebbell)

“I was desperate to play Tetsuo, but Tetsuo in the comic and annual form,” he explained. “He’s brilliant in the anime, but if you know anything about the comics, they cut so much of the story out. You care about him, because it’s brilliantly done, but you don’t really care about Kaneda, who isn’t.”

“The other thing they wanted to do was make [Tetsuo and Kaneda] brothers,” he continued. “I was like, ‘The point is that Tetsuo can’t comprehend how someone who isn’t his brother could love him so much — and that’s where his wrath and his rage come from. Do you not see that? Why have you made them brothers? What the fuck are you doing?’”

Dukefrukem
03-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Funny. I posted this in the Fantasy Movie Draft thread because my script that I wrote had them both as brothers. I did a straight adaptation of the movie rather than the manga. My movie looks terrible now.... except that Chris Nolan is writing it. :)

number8
03-28-2012, 08:30 PM
I do want to try the Akira magma. That sounds hot.

Dukefrukem
03-28-2012, 08:39 PM
:lol:

Dukefrukem
05-10-2014, 06:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1GO-93Nt3c

Skitch
05-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Not gonna lie, that was pretty cool.

number8
05-12-2014, 04:30 AM
Ha, it's Kevin from Supernatural. He's not cocky enough to be Kaneda.

Dukefrukem
06-27-2016, 03:50 PM
Super cool rumor: WB is trying to court Justin Lin to helm this.

Henry Gale
06-28-2016, 09:04 AM
Lin: "So first off, we obviously need to set this in Japan and have a mostly Japanese cast."

WB: "It's been a pleasure, Justin. We'll keep in touch if anything comes up."

Skitch
06-28-2016, 11:25 AM
Yup!

number8
06-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Justin Lin seems to have a habit of taking on remake projects just to delay it indefinitely.

Dukefrukem
06-28-2016, 12:57 PM
Del Toro and Spielberg are excellent at delaying projects as well.

Henry Gale
06-29-2016, 07:51 AM
Justin Lin seems to have a habit of taking on remake projects just to delay it indefinitely.

To think he was set to do the next Renner Bourne movie after Furious 6 before Damon and Greengrass coughed in Universal's direction and instantly collapsed the whole idea. I think he lucked out with that Trek thing, though.

But yeah, Highlander, Lone and Wolf Cub, that L.A. Riots project, The Shaolin Temple, Times Square, his passion project 32 Miles, Hibernation, The Breach.... Things aren't looking great for Space Jam 2!

Hey, at least that fifth Terminator eventually got made without him!

transmogrifier
06-29-2016, 01:20 PM
At what point do you, as a movie studio, just give up on this?

Dukefrukem
06-30-2016, 03:15 PM
Pretty awesome concept art for this.

https://ruairi-robinson.squarespace.com/images/

http://i1.wp.com/bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/y0jiaikteyrysidlytjd.jpg?w=100 0

Neclord
07-05-2016, 04:26 AM
Shouldn't they change the name of it to, like, "Josh"

Dukefrukem
03-30-2017, 01:52 PM
OMG Rumor of the day: Warner Bros. Wants Jordan Peele to direct this. Yes please.

http://www.tracking-board.com/hot-off-get-out-jordan-peele-is-being-courted-to-direct-akira-for-warner-bros-exclusive/

Spinal
03-30-2017, 04:50 PM
I wish that the 'reward' for innovative young filmmakers wasn't big budget remakes or sequels of somebody else's vision.

TGM
03-30-2017, 06:17 PM
OMG Rumor of the day: Warner Bros. Wants Jordan Peele to direct this. Yes please.

http://www.tracking-board.com/hot-off-get-out-jordan-peele-is-being-courted-to-direct-akira-for-warner-bros-exclusive/

I'm pretty sure Jordan Peele has already stated he has no interest in taking on any of these big franchise projects, and wants to stick to making his more personal films, at least for the time being.

Dukefrukem
03-30-2017, 06:20 PM
I'm pretty sure Jordan Peele has already stated he has no interest in taking on any of these big franchise projects, and wants to stick to making his more personal films, at least for the time being.

"Hey Jordan, we'll give you $20 million to direct Akira"

megladon8
03-30-2017, 06:50 PM
How about, I dunno, a Japanese director?

Skitch
03-30-2017, 07:58 PM
"Hey Jordan, we'll give you $20 million to direct Akira"

"I took another look at the material and really fell in love with the world of Akira."

Dead & Messed Up
03-30-2017, 08:23 PM
I wish that the 'reward' for innovative young filmmakers wasn't big budget remakes or sequels of somebody else's vision.

Problem is when their agent storms in and says, "You'd better play ball, motherfucker-- you're gonna take this to development, get the exec producer credit, I get my slice-- then you can puss out on creative differences."

Ezee E
03-30-2017, 09:32 PM
"I took another look at the material and really fell in love with the world of Akira."

With how fast the movies can get made, a sacrifice of 2-3 years for Akira will help him fund 10-15 years for whatever the hell he wants. Why not?

Until Akira 2 I guess.

Skitch
03-30-2017, 11:04 PM
Yaaaah, I don't care if or who makes this. :) If its great, great. If its sucks, oh well. I have the good one on blu-ray, so I'm good.

Spinal
05-17-2017, 04:56 PM
Jordan Peele is not doing it. (http://www.avclub.com/article/jordan-peele-wont-direct-live-action-akira-after-a-255445?) Thank goodness.

Dukefrukem
09-20-2017, 01:09 AM
Oh shit

https://deadline.com/2017/09/akira-taika-waititi-director-thor-ragnarok-1202173164/

Skitch
09-20-2017, 01:45 AM
Nah.

Ivan Drago
09-20-2017, 02:20 AM
Yeah, no. I like him, but he doesn't fit the material.

Dukefrukem
04-02-2019, 01:30 PM
Getting closer?? (https://deadline.com/2019/04/leonardo-dicaprio-akira-california-tax-credits-warner-bros-paramount-1202586735/)

Skitch
04-02-2019, 03:08 PM
I swear you do this just to make my heart palpitate. :D

Wryan
04-03-2019, 04:35 PM
While I'm super glad to hear Waititi is on board, I remain unconvinced that this will succeed in any significant way, especially in the wake of Ghost in the Shell and Alita. Regarding the latter, I watched both the 60ish-minute OVA animation and the recent movie version. It has a nice world it presents, one that feels worthy of a better story and better execution. It has its small charms, but it doesn't really work. Also lol at Ed Norton in that terrible fucking wig.

megladon8
04-04-2019, 10:38 AM
Annnnnnf yet another one of those projects that I don’t believe is ever going to happen.

Call me when there’s a trailer.

Or don’t, ‘cause, like, I don’t want or need this.

Skitch
04-05-2019, 12:27 AM
As I've said forever, I'll believe it when cameras roll.

Skitch
05-14-2019, 09:20 PM
As I've said forever, I'll believe it when cameras roll.

This sounds like it might actually get off the ground. Taika Waititis Akira to begin filming this july. (https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/taika-waititis-akira-begin-filming-this-july)

MadMan
05-16-2019, 01:57 AM
Nothing they put out will touch the original classic.

Skitch
05-16-2019, 02:27 AM
Nothing they put out will touch the original classic.

I'm the choir, organist, secretary, and flock here, but preach on.

megladon8
05-16-2019, 12:25 PM
Wait...Skitch likes Akira?

Skitch
05-16-2019, 09:48 PM
Wait...Skitch likes Akira?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlXHCykk7fU

MadMan
05-24-2019, 06:48 AM
I'm the choir, organist, secretary, and flock here, but preach on.Yessir.

Lazlo
05-24-2019, 05:26 PM
Waititi confirmed. May 21, 2021, which puts it opening opposite John Wick: Chapter 4. (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/akira-movie-release-date-set-sets-may-2021-1213499?fbclid=IwAR2SrPzCcCTU2 qK1_JpVh9MpozWUYK2DoO4mMuSfY3U 0RFaGpnJQaeKdQYQ)

Dukefrukem
05-24-2019, 05:30 PM
Mind can't comprehend.

Skitch
05-24-2019, 05:53 PM
Mind can't comprehend.

Me either.

megladon8
05-24-2019, 08:10 PM
I’ll still believe it when we see stills and/or a trailer.

This project has been confirmed so many times. Remember how long Leo was confirmed to be Kaneda and it was going to start filming soon?

Skitch
05-24-2019, 08:29 PM
Right there with you Meg. Though with that director attached it does some like this is the most possible iteration. I feel more positive with him at the helm because I don't think he would whitewash it.

Heres a different direction to take the thread...I don't believe any of us are cool with whitewashing movies, but what about minor side characters? Is it socially acceptable if all the mains are origin maintained and they put whiteys in minor side roles? You know studio heads are having that conversation.

Ivan Drago
05-24-2019, 09:27 PM
I want to be excited about this and have faith in Taika, I really do....but it’s been through development hell with so many terrible script drafts and had so many people attached to it, that hotshotting this just reeks of Warner Brothers' desperation to get the movie done than lose the rights. Plus the turns in the source material are impossible to imagine in live-action.

This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Ezee E
05-24-2019, 10:30 PM
If casting happens, I'll believe. They better get their PR ready.

megladon8
05-25-2019, 01:07 AM
If casting happens, I'll believe. They better get their PR ready.

Leo was cast for the better part of a decade.

Call me when they’re filming.

Dukefrukem
05-25-2019, 01:08 AM
Meg you've said that like 5 times in this thread. Anything new to add?

megladon8
05-25-2019, 01:22 AM
Sorry didn’t realize that was being policed.

Dukefrukem
05-25-2019, 01:53 AM
You're not. You post that line a lot, and it seems to be your candid response any time any news short of a trailer is released. Speculating is fun.

MadMan
05-25-2019, 08:26 AM
meg has a point. However I have to side with Duke that guessing what a movie will be like and if it will ever happen is fun.

I remember when Keanu was supposed to be in this and also play Spike in a live action Cowboy Bebop. Or maybe it was just Bebop.

megladon8
07-05-2019, 03:02 PM
I find this much more exciting. (https://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2019/07/05/new-akira-anime-series-announced-with-new-movie-from-akira-creator)

Skitch
07-05-2019, 07:23 PM
I want it all!

Dukefrukem
07-05-2019, 08:29 PM
Skitch do you have that box set?

Skitch
07-05-2019, 09:08 PM
Skitch do you have that box set?

Are you talking about his complete works? It hasn't been released yet.

Dukefrukem
07-06-2019, 12:01 AM
Are you talking about his complete works? It hasn't been released yet.

No I'm talking about that Box Set (https://www.amazon.com/Akira-35th-Anniversary-Box-Set/dp/1632364611/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=akira&qid=1562371300&s=gateway&sr=8-2) from that video in the link above.

Skitch
07-06-2019, 11:31 AM
No I'm talking about that Box Set (https://www.amazon.com/Akira-35th-Anniversary-Box-Set/dp/1632364611/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=akira&qid=1562371300&s=gateway&sr=8-2) from that video in the link above.

No, I wish.

Skitch
07-17-2019, 02:58 AM
On today of all days, reports of this being postponed indefinitely. :D

Irish
12-12-2019, 03:12 AM
Seems officially dead: Warner Bros. Removes 'Akira' From Slate, Gives Its Release Slot to 'Matrix 4' (https://www.thewrap.com/warner-bros-removes-akira-from-slate-gives-its-release-slot-to-matrix-4/)

transmogrifier
12-12-2019, 05:16 AM
Waititi has probably already signed on to direct 5 new movies now that his schedule has opened up.

megladon8
12-12-2019, 09:38 AM
Cue sad trombone!

Skitch
12-12-2019, 10:31 AM
Guys, I'm over 40 now. Its practically a medical attack on my person every time you bump this thread for non-news. :p

Dukefrukem
12-12-2019, 01:38 PM
Seems officially dead: Warner Bros. Removes 'Akira' From Slate, Gives Its Release Slot to 'Matrix 4' (https://www.thewrap.com/warner-bros-removes-akira-from-slate-gives-its-release-slot-to-matrix-4/)

The internet is calling that day Keanu Day since it's also the same release date as John Wick 4.

Ezee E
12-12-2019, 03:09 PM
The internet is calling that day Keanu Day since it's also the same release date as John Wick 4.

I can't decide if that's amazing planning or incredibly dumb to do. Leaning to amazing.

megladon8
12-15-2019, 01:47 PM
While the rest of you punk asses are watching The Matrix 4 and John Wick 4, I’ll be celebrating Keanu Day the right way.

By watching the video for Paula Abdul’s “Rush, Rush” on an endless loop.

Dukefrukem
01-16-2020, 01:41 PM
You own this Skitch yet? Back in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Akira-35th-Anniversary-Box-Set/dp/1632364611/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=akira&qid=1579185656&sr=8-17

Skitch
01-16-2020, 09:36 PM
You own this Skitch yet? Back in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Akira-35th-Anniversary-Box-Set/dp/1632364611/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=akira&qid=1579185656&sr=8-17

They must have only gotten one in, because its gone now lol