PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Military Asks Injured Soldiers to Pay Back Signing Bonuses

Benny Profane
11-20-2007, 04:31 PM
http://kdka.com/kdkainvestigators/military.signing.bonuses.2.571 660.html

Is there any possible justification for this? Not trying to be a smartass, I am seriously asking.

Ezee E
11-20-2007, 05:23 PM
The gov't looks at it like sports I guess. Nobody likes the heads of either.

shaun
11-20-2007, 07:09 PM
This is so over the top that it has to be caused by some bureaucratic screw up in their payroll system. I can't think that they'd intentionally ask a wounded soldier for his/her bonus back.

Sycophant
11-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Far be it from me to defend the organizational tactics of the military, but before I decry this as misbegotten policy, I need to see corroboration that this is in fact common practice. Otherwise, it's a local idiot, or, as shaun supposed, some sort of isolated bureaucratic or clerical error. There'd be more outcry, as this is simply audacious.

Hopefully, this poor guy's case is cleared up soon. It's ridiculous.

Derek
11-20-2007, 07:18 PM
The gov't looks at it like sports I guess. Nobody likes the heads of either.

Yeah, except in one of those jobs you're not getting shot or having grenades thrown at you. You can't quite milk losing a limb like you can a sprained ankle.

Kurosawa Fan
11-20-2007, 07:24 PM
According to my brother, this is in fact true, and the government has justified it by finding pre-existing conditions with the soldiers. He said he saw it reported on a news show that in many cases if the soldier was treated for depression earlier in life, they are trying to use that as part of the cause of their injuries overseas. He said the soldier they were reporting on was named Matt Towne. His circumstances were nearly identical to this soldiers.

Sycophant
11-20-2007, 07:48 PM
According to my brother, this is in fact true, and the government has justified it by finding pre-existing conditions with the soldiers. He said he saw it reported on a news show that in many cases if the soldier was treated for depression earlier in life, they are trying to use that as part of the cause of their injuries overseas. He said the soldier they were reporting on was named Matt Towne. His circumstances were nearly identical to this soldiers.

Okay. That's absolutely terrible and we need a major public outcry. What the fuck.

MadMan
11-20-2007, 10:20 PM
According to my brother, this is in fact true, and the government has justified it by finding pre-existing conditions with the soldiers. He said he saw it reported on a news show that in many cases if the soldier was treated for depression earlier in life, they are trying to use that as part of the cause of their injuries overseas. He said the soldier they were reporting on was named Matt Towne. His circumstances were nearly identical to this soldiers.What the hell? This is some messed up shit. The government are assholes trying to screw the same people they send out to die overseas. I'm pissed about this and I hope an outcry results.

Rowland
11-20-2007, 10:29 PM
One indignity amid countless others.