PDA

View Full Version : The Kite Runner Takes Flight, But...

Benny Profane
11-19-2007, 04:41 PM
http://i.cnn.net/money/galleries/2007/news/0709/gallery.fallmovies/images/movies_kiterunner.jpg

This film is based on the novel about an aspiring Afghani writer who has immigrated to America with his father after the Soviet invasion. For those of you who have read the bestseller, it's a very faithful adaptation. This means that the issues I had with the movie are the same I had with the book. The third act is borderline ridiculous with all the coincidences and repetition of the first act. If you take it as a sentimental fairy tale on guilt and redemption and not a realistic story then it may work better for you.

I think a lot of this has to do with the author, who like the protagonist Amir, fled Afghanistan early in childhood during the Soviet invasion. Since this is his first novel, you can assume that much of it is autobiorgraphical.

The film is divided into thirds. The first third deals with the two main characters Amir and Hassan during their childhood in Kabul. Hassan is Amir's servant-friend, and he is so devoted and perfect and wonderful to Amir, even though it turns out the feeling isn't reciprocated. This part of the novel felt very real because you can tell the author actually lived through this.

The second third of the film deals with the adjustments made to life in America, and Amir meeting his future bride. This section also rings true.

It's the third act when Amir is called back to his homeland during the Taliban reign to right all the wrongs of his past is where the story takes all of its missteps. Obviously, the author Hosseini never went back to Afghanistan to witness firsthand the atrocities of the Taliban, and it's easy to tell he's writing from second-hand sources.

I don't want to spoil what happens when he gets back to Afghanistan, but let's just say that it's lazy. The redemption of Amir, and how it transpires, and who he's there to see and ends up seeing, fits too nicely inside a standard storytelling framework, hence the labeling of this film as a trite fairy tale and little more. Much like Forster's Finding Neverland, this ain't for anyone with the slightest bit of cynicism.

Maybe many of you have heard but the release of the film was delayed due to an "immoral" scene in the beginning of the scene, and the child actors were secretly moved out of Afghanistan for fear of their safety. Just an interesting little tidbit.

lovejuice
11-29-2007, 05:46 AM
the reviews are now very divided. cream of the crop critics seem to love it. not so the rest. i'm intrigued.

NickGlass
11-30-2007, 07:35 PM
I don't want to spoil what happens when he gets back to Afghanistan, but let's just say that it's lazy. The redemption of Amir, and how it transpires, and who he's there to see and ends up seeing, fits too nicely inside a standard storytelling framework, hence the labeling of this film as a trite fairy tale and little more. Much like Forster's Finding Neverland, this ain't for anyone with the slightest bit of cynicism.

I like the first two sentences here, but find the third nearly paradoxical. Why should people who won't swallow everything be culpable for Foster's lame sentimentality and laziness?

lovejuice
01-07-2008, 08:42 PM
i find first act pretty accomplished. the second not as much. and the third completely fallen apart. no amount of suspension of disbelief can really help me through it. the scene in question is handled much more efficiently in the book though, so i wonder why they have to change it.

Benny Profane
01-07-2008, 08:46 PM
I like the first two sentences here, but find the third nearly paradoxical. Why should people who won't swallow everything be culpable for Foster's lame sentimentality and laziness?

I didn't see this response til just now, but I don't believe I said that cynical people should be culpable. That was not my intention, at least. I was just trying to say that if you have a cynical bone in your body, then be warned, or avoid it.

Or something.

Sxottlan
01-10-2008, 07:49 AM
I've been kind of curious about the book, but not really enough to bother getting it.

Although correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the film is having absolutely zero impact at the box office and all the talk in the media about it died the moment it was released.

number8
01-10-2008, 09:37 AM
It's weird. The film was written heavily in the trades and talked about on the news, but there was zero marketing for it. It was as if Vantage was only after awards and not money. Very strange.

Ezee E
01-10-2008, 02:37 PM
It's getting an expanded release this week it seems.

With it being such a huge success as a book it is strange that nobody knows it's even out.

Kurosawa Fan
01-11-2008, 04:09 PM
It's coming to my area today. I'm still waiting, impatiently I might add, for Atonement. I fear the cancellation of the Golden Globes, and the impending cancellation of the Oscars, could prevent nominees from ever making it this way.

*sulks*

lovejuice
01-11-2008, 06:16 PM
It's coming to my area today. I'm still waiting, impatiently I might add, for Atonement. I fear the cancellation of the Golden Globes, and the impending cancellation of the Oscars, could prevent nominees from ever making it this way.

*sulks*

yeah...i remember you're living in a "dumpty little town" or something, right? ;)

Briare
01-11-2008, 06:47 PM
I have to echo those who were somewhat impressed with the first act of the film, it isn't great, merely above average coming of age stuff and once the average age of the cast members on screen increased a decade or so, the film stopped being interesting. Everything in America is boring, stilted crap and as for that ending.... jesus christ. I can't even imagine people swallowed that on the written page let alone on film. Even if it is metaphorical Only Afghanis can save Afghan children? it is completely overdrawn. The film is poor and ugly and I'm surprised because Forster at the very least has a capable visual eye and this film was remarkably hideous to look at.