PDA

View Full Version : Gomorrah

Ezee E
12-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Trailer (http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/11210424/standardformat/)

A revealing trailer though, so be cautious.

KK2.0
12-29-2008, 08:56 PM
this is already on screens around here, hopefully i'll watch it this week.

Benny Profane
01-26-2009, 06:33 PM
This movie really could have used a bit of voiceover narration. I was thoroughly confused at times. Of all organized crime films I've seen, this one glamourizes "the life" the least, and it's not even a contest. Nobody will want to go out and be a gangster after watching this. Instead of showing who is in charge, this film follows the foot soldiers, the bottom feeders, scrambling around for crumbs. The environment is used to great effect. Most of the setting is in hollowed out projects, amidst the rubble of decay. However, the film is pretty confusing, as I said, and it never seems to go anywhere. It felt pretty long and boring.

Ezee E
01-26-2009, 06:59 PM
This movie really could have used a bit of voiceover narration. I was thoroughly confused at times. Of all organized crime films I've seen, this one glamourizes "the life" the least, and it's not even a contest. Nobody will want to go out and be a gangster after watching this. Instead of showing who is in charge, this film follows the foot soldiers, the bottom feeders, scrambling around for crumbs. The environment is used to great effect. Most of the setting is in hollowed out projects, amidst the rubble of decay. However, the film is pretty confusing, as I said, and it never seems to go anywhere. It felt pretty long and boring.
I had the same feeling at first, but as I thought about, the more positives I thought.

I have to see it again. I think it'll be less confusing as I'll be able to figure out who's who much easier this time around.

Dukefrukem
01-26-2009, 07:17 PM
This looks awesome.

Morris Schæffer
01-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Agree that it is the least glamourizing crime movie I've perhaps ever seen. My reaction to it was mostly positive, in fact I can't find real minuses, but it was a bit boring plot-wise although it was certainly incredibly realistic with gunshots that reverberated out of nowhere, lacking any kind of buildup in the traditional sense. Stuff just seems to happen in this movie although there's some coherence to it all. The ending is pretty darn brutal and depressing.

I expected this one to be nominated in the foreign movie category.

Benny Profane
01-26-2009, 07:51 PM
I had the same feeling at first, but as I thought about, the more positives I thought.

I have to see it again. I think it'll be less confusing as I'll be able to figure out who's who much easier this time around.

Yeah a second viewing would help a ton.

megladon8
01-27-2009, 02:04 AM
Every time I see the title of this film I think it's a Godzilla-esque giant monster movie.

Raiders
01-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Every time I see the title of this film I think it's a Godzilla-esque giant monster movie.

I think it's a venereal disease.

number8
01-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Thank you both for your inspiration for my next screenplay, about a giant venereal disease that attacks Japan.

I'm calling it Attack! Big Okinawa Gonorrheaaaaa Special.

Kurosawa Fan
01-27-2009, 07:40 PM
You know what always sounded like a VD to me? Sbarro. "Dude, last month I slept with that drunk chick at the party and now I have sbarro." Is there a less appetizing name for a pizza place?

Raiders
01-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Is there a less appetizing name for a pizza place?

Well, not now.

Kurosawa Fan
01-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Well, not now.

:lol:

Sorry about that.

Sycophant
01-27-2009, 09:11 PM
I think it's about that city next to Sodom that wasn't so easy to turn into a word for buttsexes.

Lasse
01-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Is there a pizza place called Sbarro? Seriously? :confused:

Sycophant
01-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Yes. It is a chain of pizza eateries found in shopping mall food courts across the United States of America.

Lasse
01-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Yes. It is a chain of pizza eateries found in shopping mall food courts across the United States of America.

I know nothing about the food, but that name has a disgusting sound to it.

Sycophant
01-27-2009, 09:43 PM
"Sbarro" is an Italian family name. That's pretty cold, Lasse.

Also, I would not expect you to know of this chain, seeing as you are not an American.

Lasse
01-27-2009, 10:15 PM
"Sbarro" is an Italian family name. That's pretty cold, Lasse.

Heh. I probably shouldn't have used the word "disgusting". I just does not sound like a restaurant name to me.

Anyway, I watched the trailer, and it doesn't interest me, so I'm going to leave this thread before I get into more trouble. :lol:

ledfloyd
02-12-2009, 01:37 AM
I have mixed feelings on this film. On one level it's wonderfully directed and I appreciate it's attempt to deromanticize the gangster film. But on another, I felt like I wasn't given enough time or reason to care about the characters and therefore had trouble sustaining interest. I understand it was trying to show the scope of the Camorra with all the different plotlines, but I think that approach might've worked better as a miniseries or even a TV show. For a film it felt rushed, messy and overreaching and didn't give any single story enough time to develop.

While it's trying to subvert their legacy it's missing two things The Sopranos and The Godfather had. Focus on character and at least some humor.